Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Jim James, the frontman from My Morning Jacket, has lived many lives over the band's twenty seven year career. He started as a hopeful young musician, chasing the magic of his musical heroes while secretly fearing he'd never measure up. Later, he spiraled into heavy drinking and self doubt, teetering on the edge of leaving the band behind. But today Jim is in a much different place, healthier, more grounded, and full of self acceptance, thanks in part to a mix of traditional and psychedelic therapies he turned to during the pandemic. This month, My Morning Jacket returns with is their tenth studio album, and they're first made entirely with an outside producer, the legendary Brendan O'Brien. On today's episode, Lea Rose sits down with Jim to talk about the ayahuasca journey that helped him learn how.
Speaker 1: To truly love himself.
Speaker 2: He also looks back on the writing of the band's second album At Dawn and recalls this surreal moment he saw Bob Dylan disappear into the music while playing with him live. This is broken record, real musicians, real conversations. You can see a full video of this interview on our YouTube page at YouTube dot com Slash Broken Record podcast. Now here's Leah Rose's interview with Jim James.
Speaker 3: So, when you go in to start a new project, like with the new album is, do you have a vision in mind for what you want it to sound like or what's the conceptual part for you?
Speaker 4: When you know, okay, this is the beginning of a new project.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so different. Every album is so different. And over the years, various gems over the time, have you had had ideas or con or opinions or theories or whatever about what they thought that the albums might be. And it's so funny because it's like the universe always makes the album what it's gonna be, you know, and and lots of most of my life I didn't. I didn't realize that until the last moment, you know, or or somewhere in there. Because you know, you can start with the concept let's make a heavy metal album, or let's make a protest album, or let's make this kind of album or that kind of album. But when you get in the studio, things start working and not working, and very quickly your heavy metal album turns into a folk album or whatever, you know, just to use broad terms. So I feel like this record more than ever. I feel like I really just tried to let myself put everything I have into the pot, and I put all of my ideas, even things that were kind of mostly finished or close to finish solo project ideas or one ever and thirty second voice memos, and you know, things we'd already recorded with My Morning Jacket that we're kind of we weren't totally happy with, but we just kind of put it all into the pot and I tried to step back and let it, let it be what it was going to be.
Speaker 3: I heard that you recently, and I don't know how much this has to do with recording the new album, the process, your creative process with the new album, but you had an experience with ayahuasca that sort of maybe brought some clarity to your life and your relationship with yourself. Was that a recent experience and does that have anything to do with this album?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like I've been on a really, really great journey in the last five years or so I've been on it. I feel so excited and so grateful that I found a therapist in the pan pandemic that I really connected with and I really so I started doing EMDR and parts work therapy with him, and that EMDR is basically like, Uh, there's a lot of different ways you can do it, but you're basically trying to train your brain to put traumatic memories back where they're supposed to be. And you can you can either follow a light left to right, or you can tap on yourself left to right, and basically it's like this really interesting. Uh. And obviously if you google it or whatever, you can read far more scientific explanations on this. But you're basically, you work with your therapist to go to a traumatic moment and and while you're processing that traumatic moment in your mind, you're tapping or you're following a light or whatever works best for you. And basically it's like in my experience, because we all kind of I think we all know the feeling of of trauma taking us over when we don't want to be taken over. You know, it kind of starts playing like a full color HD movie and kind of taking over our lives. And basically you're trying to put it back into your memory box. Where it's just it's just another memory, like the you know, it's like a black and white polaroid compared to a full color HD movie with sound. And so I found when I work through those things and through different parts of myself, when I combine the parts, work therapy with it, so with that it's like a similar thing like you'll work with the twelve year old version of yourself or the five year old version of yourself, or wherever you've experienced these trauma and you process it, and as you process it, something's happening in your mind with the tapping where it's putting, it's kind of unpacking the power of the trauma to make it more of a normal memory, you know, where it doesn't have such a hold on you. And I feel like that for me has been extremely powerful. And I have coupled that with different psychedelic therapies like ayahuasca and ketamine five EO d MT different things, because I feel like I think one thing that I try to be careful about when talking with people about psychedelics in particular is not trying to be like, go do ayahuasca and everything's going to be great. You know, all your problems are gone, you know, because I think that's the kind of common thing that people think, Oh, if I go to ayahuasca, I think you really got I think all those things are important pieces of the puzzle, but I think you have to be very careful where you go and who you do it with, and be very guided, you know. I feel like I've always wanted to do a lot of those things, but I've always tried to wait until somebody that I trust kind of brought it to me, you know, the universe brings it to me, you know, And I feel like, so I've been fortunate to have some of those experiences. But yeah, ayahuasca was really, I mean, very varied experience, so many experiences. I mean we could talk shows and shows and shows about just that, but there was that was a very crucial piece in my healing journey of I had an experience where I was holding myself in my own arms, and I was this was twenty nineteen, right before the pandemic, and I was I was Jim in twenty nineteen, holding Jim in twenty nineteen, and it was as real as this, Like it wasn't like some some wild trippy hellucination. It was like as concretely real as this, And I was holding myself, kind of patting my hair back, looking into my own eyes, being like, Jim, you're so mean to yourself, buddy, Like you gotta you gotta be nicer to yourself. You gotta try and love yourself more. You know, you're you're a nice guy. You're trying your best. And I'm look, really, Jim, you really mean it, you know. And it was like I was able to see myself as another person, you know, And I think that's a that's a distinction that really helped me because it's easier for us to be nice to people we love, you know, but then we're so mean to ourselves. We rip ourselves to pieces. And I've spent my entire life ripping myself to pieces, being so mean to myself, trying to escape from myself, drinking myself to death, you know, just running, running, running, And that was a really important piece for me to see myself as somebody that I need to treat with kindness, you know. Like that was like a mind blower to me of like, God, if I can't be nice to myself, if I can't love myself, how can I hope to see the world with clarity, you know, or you know, it just was a really really big moment for me.
Speaker 4: Has it been able to stick?
Speaker 1: I really feel like it has. Yeah. I mean I feel like with with the therapy I've been doing, you know, it's like these experiences, I think, if you have someone safe to process them with and you keep working with them, I really do feel like they have begun to stick. I mean, I feel like I've I've never felt more peaceful or present in my life, you know, and I just feel so grateful for that. I feel like that, like you asked a minute ago, that was kind of all of that has kind of combined to kind of lead me to where I am when we're working on this album and beyond, you know, to kind of be able to not place my entire self worth in the success or failure of my band, you know, because most of my life I've done that, you know, most of my life. I'm like, if I get the world to love me, or I get this external validation, then maybe finally I can love me. But you know, that's that's a recipe that never works because you're just on the roller coaster ride of one day the world loves you and the next day of the world hates you or whatever, and you're up and down, up and down, and yeah, I keep trying to come back to like what can I What can I do that nobody can ever take away from me? You know, And that's love myself. You know, that's something we can all do for our selves, especially in the madness of the world, the chaos of the world. I feel like if everybody started trying to really love themselves, we would see that again to manifest and more healing and more peace and more love for each other. You know.
Speaker 3: It takes a lot of work, though, like you were saying, you had like a multi tiered approach to it, traditional and non traditional.
Speaker 4: I don't know if enough people make that investment in themselves.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's important that we talk about it on things like this because I think, yeah, it's it's it's something you do have to take the time to do. But there's almost like this weird thing where our culture tells us where we're selfish, if we work on ourselves too much, or if we think about ourselves where and there's this of course, there are ways to be selfish and you know, narcissistic and ways that are kind of taking the energy in a bad way. But I think if we think about it kind of like that that episode I had in Ayahuasca, where like, if we think about ourselves as our own best friend or whatever, and we treat ourselves as if we would treat our most beloved, best friend or partner, you know, whoever in our life that we love the most. Yeah, if we if we started there, I mean, what what greater work is there to do? You know? Then delay that foundation?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Have friends or family or people who are you're really close to have they noticed a difference in you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really have. And I feel like the band, it's been a really really special thing because because for years I was a terrible communicator, and I was so depressed and uh just drinking and trying to run from life and not being able to communicate how it's feeling, and uh so there'd be a lot of bad energy or a lot of unspoken energy, you know. And and the band, you know, we almost didn't make it several times throughout the years, you know. And I feel like, luckily we've all been on a similar journey lately where everybody is really trying to take good care of themselves and do the work to like heal themselves, and you know, and that's been this really beautiful, uh era of just better communication. You know. It's like it's not like things are always easier that no problems arise, but I think when you instantly address the problem and talk about it and clear the air, that like lets it all blow through. And I think we've got we've been in this really just I mean we kind we kind of all like hug and talk about it all the time, like, look, how lucky are we We're still you know, twenty five years later, we're still playing music and we still love each other and we're not like trying to kill each other or like hiding from each other or like having separate you know worlds or you know, it's just like everyone has to so totally yeah, yeah, yeah, we're just so you know, so great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that seems to be the move in as you approach midlife, is to take sock in your health and really try and be a better person.
Speaker 4: And it's really sad when you think about people who didn't.
Speaker 3: Make it this far, people who died early and they didn't get to a point where they're like on a self improvement kick.
Speaker 1: I know, well, God, I mean, midlife can go the other way too, you know, you can hit the other way if you haven't done that work and start springing into other ways just like, yeah, got to be crazy and yeah, well yeah, the classic midlife crisis kind of stuff you know, that we hear about and that we see out in the world. Unfortunately, a lot of people that are in positions of power in our world right now, we're watching them experience their midlife crisis and you know, taking it out on everybody else. And because I mean think about, like, God, if Kurt Cobain or you know, Jimmy Hendrix or whoever people struggle with absolutely, Jim Morrison, whoever, people who struggle with substance abuse, Joblin, whoever, think about if they could have found a way out and found a way to get past that, they could still be here. You know, we could still be experiencing music from Marvin Gay or you know they're talking all these people this just like, I think we really need to think about that for the future, you know, that that we can hopefully get this word out that it's okay if you're depressed, it's okay if you struggle with substance abuse, like talk to somebody about it, like find a way there is a way out, you know, and don't beat yourself up or feel like you're all alone or your failure or whatever. You know. I think we really need to address that. A lot of this stuff, a lot of it comes genetically or it comes through some pipeline.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's not like people ask to be depressed or to be genetically disposition towards alcoholism or drug abuse or whatever, you know. So I think the more we can talk about it, and the more we can try to get people the help they need, the more we can see the future people now live to still create, you know, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I don't know what your relationship is like with your parents or if they're living or what, but has this change in you has it changed your relationship with your parents or with family members?
Speaker 1: Oh? God, absolutely yeah. My parents are amazing. They're still alive, and we're really close and we spend a lot of time together. And I mean, I think every family, you know, dynamic, is complex and has its difficulties and stuff like that. But one thing I recognize the more that I try to find peace with myself is that everybody's on their own journey, and a lot of the times the best thing we can do for somebody is just be there to listen to them and not think that we can keep solving their problems. You know that we have all the answers. And you know, I think I think that's one thing that I've struggled with. On another people have struggle with is when you watch somebody that you love suffer whatever, and you keep wanting to help them. You know, you're like, oh my god, if only you just won't you just do this? Won't you just do that? Yeah? And I think a lot of times people don't need to hear that, you know. It's like people people just need you to be there for them and listen to them, and yeah, speak your peace and and you know, put out put some things on the table that could help them. But then I think sometimes we need to step back and say. That's one thing I just kept coming to again and again, was like, well, like, whoa man, how can I offer anybody advice if I'm constantly at war with myself? You know, like where am I? Where am I offering advice from? If my whole world is in chaos?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, and so I think that's like the uh, the thing I've tried to come back to with my family and friends. It's just like, how can I be there to to support them and listen to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you said something about Era about my morning Jacket having ERA earlier, and I was reading on Reddit and it seems like a lot of your fans think of the band in distinct eras. And I saw somebody mention that they thought a distinct era was post COVID. So it's sort of interesting that that lines up with that experience for you. And I was wondering for you, you've been in it. It might just be hard to think of it objectively. But do you think of the band as like distinct eras that line up maybe with albums or decades or how do you think of it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, definitely. It's so funny because we've been thinking about this a lot, because I look back because we constantly have to do things like learn an old song that we're going to play or something that we haven't played in ten years or more. So I'm constantly looking back on all these old gyms that have gone through all of these albums. Because each album is like a time machine for me, you know, And it's like and if I have to go back to it and hear it, and I like hear that old Gem and I'm like, wow, man, Like that Gem was so lost in being Jim, so completely consumed by this experience of being Jim and being gobbled up by this depression or this fear or whatever, that he was so consumed in it. But at the same time, like I always know that he was trying the best he could, and that kind of really gives me this piece as I look back across everything and the sense of like I'm so proud of everything that I've ever done. I still show up to do the work, but I accept that, like a lot of the things are gonna happen, They're not really in my control. Whereas as I look back in this time machine and all the old Gems, all these old Gems were so locked into their ego of Jim, and so there's so much resistance and so much depression and anger and fighting and the universe still was going to do what it was going to do, but I couldn't see that, and I was fighting it and just like so consumed in this whole thing, so Yeah, it's so interesting when I look back, because there's so much fun in there, and so much joy too, and hilarity and experience and love and brotherhood with the guys in the band and you know, everybody I've ever collaborated with, and all all of this. But there was so much fear there too, and so much depression that I feel like I look back on all those different eras of Jim and I really try to be compassionate towards him or whatever, because it's I have to embody him all the time, you know, anytime I sing one of those songs to embody this old version of Jim, you know. And it used to be when I was still depressed and I was still being eaten alive. As the latest version of Jim that's having to go back and do all these older gym soles are cool. Oh my god, I can't tired good. I can't take it. But now the more peaceful I've become, it's become really fun and more easy for me to go be twenty two year old Gym or twenty five year old Jen or nearly suicidal thirty year old Gym or whatever it is. And I can see it all with more compassion, and we can have more fun as a band, you know, we can do wilder setlists and do every single song we've ever recorded or whatever, Whereas before my depression limited my range of what I could do because I just couldn't do a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Do you ever have the experience where, similar to the therapy that you were talking about, how you're trying to sort of rewire or change the impact of a traumatic memory. Do you ever sing an old song and try and do the same thing with the old song to where you're trying to rewire the experience of it.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Yeah, It's so crazy, because, yeah, when I feel like when I was still being eaten alive by my alcoholism or my depression, like maybe twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, something like that. In that period, when I was trying to go back and do some of the old songs, it was so dark, so difficult, you know. But now when I go back and try to do some of those darker songs, there is this really beautiful rewiring or something where it's like it's like geez, like what a gift that I'm able to like go back and revisit this energy and almost like it ye, heal it, you know, like somehow manifest the energy still and create it because there's a lot of like wailing and screaming and like waw, you know, like a lot of energy that old Jim had to get out or whatever that now when I get it out, it's like this beautiful yeah changing of the energy or releasing of the energy. And there's this gratitude there where like whoa, Like how lucky am I that I can still do this? Yeah? And that people still want to show up and see it. You know, it's like it becomes this beautiful celebration of like if there were people that identified with the way that that Jim was feeling, or you know, people that are dealing with their own depression or their own energy, like perhaps and hopefully we can all rewire together, you know, we can all manifest this new energy together, and yeah, it's really really healing.
Speaker 3: When you revisit those old songs or any songs that you've written, do you ever have the experience of like, damn, like this is actually really good and kind of like patch yourself on the back, Like do you give yourself props over or is it always just like do you go to the negative.
Speaker 1: But historically I've always gone to the negative. I've always been like, I'm not good enough. I'll never be as good as Bob Dylan or you know, I'll never sing as good as Nina Simone or whatever the comparisons are. But now that I'm in this new paradigm, and I hope I don't sound like like I've done all the work and solved it all and I'm like totally, you know, figured it all out anything, because I have and I'm still in this journey. But one thing I do recognize is I am able to love all those old gems more and give them a pat on the back and like and really just love a song for what it is, you know, and and not be comparing it with fucking Bob Dylan or whatever. You know what I mean. It's like there's just always been this ruthless voice comparing myself to all of my heroes. And I think once we all realize that, like, that's that's all illusion. You know that there is no comparison, there is no better or worse, there is no you know, it's all different shades of everything than I have. I really have been able to just like just enjoy a song for what for what it is, you know, like for the well the thing it provides at that moment, and uh and also just experience in that in that moment and then it's gone. You know, I'm not worried about it. I'm not like, oh, Jez Louiss, you did I sing that well enough? Or are those lyrics good enough? Whatever? It's like just like experience.
Speaker 3: I just feel like you're such a good performer. I just hope that you realize that. And you're such a great songwriter. You're so good to what you do.
Speaker 4: I just like want to like thank you, be like, dude, you will take on yourself.
Speaker 1: Well now now I feel like I finally am able to love to love myself and just accept it, you know, and and really enjoy it in the moment. And uh. But I think the world is tough because the world kind of forces us to compare ourselves to our heroes or to our contemporaries, and especially like the more digital the world's gotten and the more numerically based it's all gotten. There's stats for everything, you know. Every YouTube video has a play count, every Instagram post has a like count. And I think when you're trapped in that comparative frame of mind and you're like, oh, Vandixa's eighty three million views on their YouTube, we will only have you know. Yeah, It's just like that whole uh mentality is just so fucked up, you know. And I think that's like part of our jobs too, is like trying to get each other out of that comparison mind frame and just into this idea that we've all got something to share and it's gonna be what it's gonna be, and you can't look at it in this statistical way that unfortunately our current digital paradise has trapped us into the statistical world.
Speaker 2: That's wild. We'll be back with more from Jim James and Lea Rose after the break.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: I saw that at Don is turning twenty.
Speaker 3: Five this year, and I was curious, how if you're able to contrast the recording of at Don where you were when you were like, you're like twenty one twenty two when you recorded that.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, I think, so is like, how was the process different?
Speaker 1: Oh God, I mean everything was different. You know, life was so different.
Speaker 3: What were you like, where were you at? What do you remember from that period of your life.
Speaker 1: That was funny. That was an interesting period in my life that I called the heroic Gym period in my therapy conversations, is that I do my parts work because that was the first time in my life after the Tennessee Fire came out that anybody ever liked anything I'd ever done period, you know. So it's like there's the sense of like, whoa, people actually liked my music, and I fell in love for the first time, and I lost my virginity, and I like was having this like really beautiful moment in time where like all these things that I never thought would happen were happening, and there's this sense of just joy and creation, and you know, we were just like running around wild and you know, we were kind of like our own little version of the Wrong Stones in France or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We were like, you know, making our wild XL on Main Street World out there in Shelbyville, and it was so fun and beautiful and uh and free, you know, and there was this sense of but there's always the sense we always had the sense because nobody had ever liked anything that we did, we still thought every at every turn, we were going to get canned you know, so we're like, all right, like, let's make this thing as long as we can, because this is our probably our last shot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think at Dawn and the Tancy Fire and it still moves. I think all those records are like as long as the CD can be, which is seventy four minutes. You know, like we're like, let's use literally every second of this fucking CD. You know, we're still thinking of CD terms back then. But it's so beautiful because after that, but most of my life after that, I was trapped in severe depression and severe you know still whatever. Still had a lot of fun and a lot of beauty whatever. But it's interesting that you choose that record because I feel like, is we've kind of come into this new golden age of like this this peaceful golden age of like it's different from that because that was like that was a beginner's mind still and youth and first and new and all that stuff, and and but it's beautiful because we've kind of invented this this new new, this new beginner's mind in the experience where it's like, what else can we do that keeps this new for us and keeps this fresh for us, And one of those things was finally being able to release control and bring in somebody like Brendan O'Brien to work on this record with us. That was something we'd never done before, was like bring in a coach, you know, because we always either did it ourselves, or we did it with contemporaries or equals or you know, people that are kind of on the same level as us. And that's a beautiful way to work too, but we're just like always like what can we do that's different? And I think all of this kind of healing that we're talking about, I was able to like let go of so much and be like, I really think we could benefit from a coach, you know, somebody who's who's not our equal, He's not on our level. He's like a step or two above. He's done this hundreds times more than we have. You know, he's twenty years older than that. You know, just all these things and really like connecting with Brendan and getting to see his viewpoint was such a revelation for me and for us that I feel like made this whole thing, this whole experience, just this beautiful new beginner's minding, you know, it is really really special.
Speaker 3: Why did you pick Brendan? Did have anything to do with his past work? He's you know, produced most pro jam albums, engineered Blood Sugar, Sex, Magic for the Chili Peppers, worked with Stone type of pilots, just a ton a ton of artists. Did it have anything to do with with his work or his sound specifically or was it more his personality?
Speaker 1: Well? Yes, and no, I really love Evil Empire that raised against the Machine record when he did that record, and I took different meetings with lots of people. And it's interesting because a lot of more experienced, bigger name producers or whatever often come with bigger egos, and there's this whole thing that they bring in that can be really hard to deal with, where they want to tell you how many Grammys they've won and how many records they've made with Elton John, you know, all this kind of toxic energy that we're always like whatever man you know, like and Brendan. The great thing about Brendan is like he never put any of that on us, and it was never about him inflating his legend or his ego. You know, It's almost like all that he cared about was the music. You know. And he was a very nice guy, a very funny guy. But he wasn't interested in becoming best friends. He wasn't interested in being our spiritual guru. You know. All he was interested in was the song. You know, it is the song the right Keith, Is it the right tempo? Do the lyrics connect? You know? And he always would have this great sense of being critical but always offering a solution or always offering something that would help. And to me that it was just like I had never really worked with somebody who whose mind worked that quickly, wow, and who never was there about their agenda, you know. And he was always open to what we had to say too. He would never like cancel out what we had to say, be like all right, all right, let's check that out, or you know. But it was so funny playing them songs because he's playing one song and he's like, I was like, I don't know, man, And then he's playing the next song and he's like he's like, oh, that's pretty great. Okay, all right, we're gonna have to get rid of something else because this is pretty good. And it was just really inspiring, and I started writing more and more songs and as we said, started the record or whatever. And because we send him like over one hundred songs what and very quickly he whittles it down to twenty you know, his favorite twenty you know, and he's just like and we're talking about it. He's like, he's like, oh yeah, man, He's like, I'll just get in there, and he's like pretty quickly, I'm like, nope, nope.
Speaker 4: Did you recognize the pattern of what he likes and what he doesn't like?
Speaker 1: No, It's really interesting because I mean, I feel like he he chose songs that we wouldn't have chosen as a band, that were more like solo projects I was working on, and then other songs that I wrote, even after he'd gone through those first hundred or so. It was really amazing just to see like what he liked and what he didn't, and that was I was just really trying to surrender to that process. So I felt like, Okay, the universe is gonna speak to me through Brendan and I'm gonna just flow with it and see what happens. But it's really cool because there were some songs like Squid inc Is a good example of a song song Brenda did not like squid ink at first, and he's like, is it gone on? No, man, But the guys really liked and they really wanted to do it, and Brandon was really respectful of that. He's like, I don't know about Screwed, Inc. But the guys like it. Let's keep it in there. Let's see what happens, you know, because I feel like he kind of understands that that universe thing too, because we could go try it and it just falls flat and doesn't work, or we try it and everybody loves it and it's great. And I think that whole thing was really really interesting because it was this cool combination of like everybody's input, but everybody kind of really removing their egos. And I feel like Brendon's good at just channeling the universe as it comes through and really just being like he himself. I forget how I put it, but he's like, he's like, I think I'm just hearing things, and I think that's how people want to hear them.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's just so interesting. It was just really refreshing.
Speaker 3: As someone if you can, if it's possible to make yourself sort of just like a fan of the band. Listening to this album as a completed project, is it different than passed out?
Speaker 4: Like, how would you say it's different?
Speaker 1: I think they're all different. I mean, I think that's one thing we really consciously try to do is make every album different and go to a different place, work with a different person. We're always in a different frame of mine, you know, different life things have always happened. I think that's one thing. Probably anybody could look at my morning jacket and say whether they liked the band or not, that we're kind of always trying different things. We're trying different styles, We're trying try and do this and trying that. And I really think this album's same thing because I feel like there's a lot of different flavors. There's a lot of different styles. Yeah, And it was just really interesting because, you know, over one hundred demos or whatever, we chose twenty and then we narrowed it down to fifteen, and then a couple didn't work at all, you know, and you don't know why, a couple of our favorite songs, you know, and we're just sitting there scratching our head, and you know, Brandon and I were trying to see if we could do anything to save them, and a certain point you're like, okay, well those two didn't work. You know, let's see what did work, you know. And that was really cool thing too with Brennan, where I feel like he was like, sometimes we going are going to make record somebody, and we have fifteen songs and ten of them don't work, and you're sitting there with five songs and you're like, all right, man, I'll see you in six months, go write some more songs. Yeah, And so I think he would have been honest with us too if he felt like we were at that point.
Speaker 3: You know, did you ask him about that Rage album that you like, did he tell you, like any stories or anything about what, you know, other bands he's worked with or whatever.
Speaker 1: We did talk some about things, but that was the meant. I mean, it's just like he'll share stories that he never shares them in this heroic ego way, you know, cause a lot of people they are like into their legend, yeah, and they're like sharing stories about I was Midnight and Elton n I were gooding high in the back of his rolling Royce. Yeah, and people are really into their own legend. You know. It was really cool because Brennan, like Brenna, would share little stories here or there if there was like a something we're working on, He's like, oh fuck, yeah, yeah, hell, you know, one time this or that or this is that. But there's something that just really really appealed to us about his lack of inflating. He's you know, he's almost reluctant to share our stories.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: It was really really that that part he really did seem humble and uh really but also very self assured in a really beautiful way, like a beautiful confidence where he's always ready to speak, speak his mind and he's always going to tell you if he thinks he's something and good or whatever, And uh, that was really really refreshing.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a good coach. You said you wanted a coach.
Speaker 1: It really, it really was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's awesome. One thing I was thinking about my morning jacket. I saw that you guys have been called like the best live band of your generation.
Speaker 4: And one thing that seems unique.
Speaker 3: About you guys and super cool is that you can put out a studio album and then you sort of can remix all the songs live on stage, so it almost gives the songs a different like more than one life, and that seems like it's it's really it could be really fun for you guys to keep things kind of like fresh and keep evolving them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. It's so cool and it's always funy when people say things like best, when people use those kind of words, it's like, it so funny. It's like it's all it's all so subjective, you know what I mean, it's all such an illusion that but yeah, that's the beautiful thing is when you think of a song, a recording of a song, it's just like a seed. I mean, think about anything that grows. You know, you plan a seed and a tree grows, and it looks this way one day, but then it looks different the next day. It looks different ten years from now, and it looks and I feel like that's kind of how every song is, is that it looks different every day and depending on how you play it or depending on where it goes. Some songs really lend themselves to exploding and improvising and you know, and other songs don't you know, the songs are like all right, here we are, it's three minutes long, and this is it yeah, but even those songs, they still they'll be faster or slower, or they'll you'll be angry one day, you know it sounds different. You'll be really happy one day it sounds different. But yeah, it's so so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thinking about that without in the Open the song, and just wondering how that was gonna develop live, And if when you're recording songs, do you think about how it will develop live or are you.
Speaker 4: Just concentrating on the studio version.
Speaker 1: We do talk about that a lot and dream about it and like, oh man, this is gonna be fun to do live. You know, we say that a lot, but uh, you also have to kind of let go and let it be what it wants to be. And some things like out in the Open's a good example of a song that changed a lot. I mean, that was just kind of a ukulele idea I had that everybody liked, but they didn't know what would happen with it. Everybody liked the riff a lot, and I had a melody. I had, like the vocal melody, but I didn't have any lyrics or anything. And Brendan really liked that riff a lot and really like he was like, Okay, let's just take this riff and let's think about it. Let's you know, the ukulele turns into electric guitar and the band comes in and it gets more exciting, and you know, it like expands, and that his excitement got me excited, so like I like started, you know, like working on it thinking about it that way, and I'm sure live it'll it'll grow even more. You know. It's like that's just such a such a cool thing, such a such a fun process. How it all unfolds?
Speaker 3: Did my morning jacket go through like a Hamburg Beatles moment where you all just played together live, like night after night our you know, like big chunks of time to really get good. Like, how did how did you guys get good initially?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I don't know. I mean, I think we just played so much. You know, I think when you play that much, I think any band would probably agree with that. That just the more you play, the more it all becomes like second nature to you, you know what I mean, You're just kind of locked into each other. So when you start playing, I mean, now when we play, we've been playing together in this version of mine where jacket for twenty years. Over twenty years now, you know, that's a lot of accumulated time, and not only time on stage, but just time together as people, you know, and you kind of know each other more and more and more and more and more. And you think of, yeah, like the Beatles in that those Hamburg days or whatever, all that time they played together and all those experiences really prepared them for when they were together in the studio and faced with the pressure of the world or whatever, they were ready to do it because they had spent the time and done the work.
Speaker 3: Do you consider your relationship with the band as the most important relationship in your life.
Speaker 1: No, I don't really look at anything that way, because it all flows and changes in every days different and so I try to look at whoever's in my life that day as the most important person in my life, you know, whoever I'm encountering in that moment, because it's really I think that's one thing we forget is everything else is gone, you know, like right now it's just you and me and there's nothing else happening right now. The band isn't here, my parents aren't here, you know, nobody's here right now, And I try to keep thinking about that, because when you're on tour, you really have to think about that in this interesting way because if I'm trapped somewhere, it doesn't matter where I want to be. I'm right there, you know, and it's like and I can spend time wishing I was somewhere else, or I can face reality and try and enjoy it, you know. And I love how Michael Singer talks about He's wrote The Untethered Soul and has a podcast that I really enjoy, and he talks about reality and he's like, you want to hear the definition of reality. Reality is that which has already happened. It's like and you can't if you wish you could change it. You know, you might not like it, but it is, you know. That was another one of the reasons I want to name the record is it is like it is, you know, it's like and I think that's something we all need to think about if we want to change the world. If we're not happy about the way the world is, it's okay to feel upset about it. It's okay to wish it was different and one way. But if you face it directly as it is and say this is reality right now? What am I going to do about it? How am I going to need it? You know? How am I going to show up for myself and for reality as it is? And I think that's like some kind of doorway to a better future. It's almost like you can't think about the future. You've got to like really think about what can I do in this present moment, starting close, you know, starting with myself and the people around me, and how can I make that better? And I just keep trying to think about that. That's really been helping me.
Speaker 2: One last break and we're back with Lea Rose and Jim James.
Speaker 4: What have you been listening to lately?
Speaker 1: I feel like whenever anybody asks me that, my mind goes blank, goes completely blank. I feel like I have my regular diet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's your diet?
Speaker 1: My steady diet is My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. I feel like I listened to that song kind of on repeat all the time, like over and over and over and over again. There's this band Magdalena Bay. Have you heard them. They've got this song Image that I really like. Oh. There's an artist Lacey Guthrie. They've got this song called here she comes that. I really like. I mean, I feel like Kendrick Lamar is always blowing my mind. I mean, I feel like we're kind of like living in his era in a lot of ways. I feel like there's this this thing that he's doing that's speaking to so many people. I really like that dough Chi record, Like, I feel like the vibe that that's coming from that is really powerful. Yeah. God, I mean there's just like that's the thing. It's like the problem and the benefit of the digital age or whatever. There's there's so much great, so much great music, but it's almost like this title wave. Yes, yeah, you're trying trying to hold on to any of it, you know, it's all there's just like so much for sure.
Speaker 3: And I saw that you were in the the Bob Dylan the the.
Speaker 1: Movie were not I'm not there.
Speaker 4: I'm not there. Yeah, what was that experience?
Speaker 1: Like it was wild? It was so beautiful. I think originally they said Hank Williams the Third was supposed to do that part or whatever. Yeah, for some reason he couldn't do it. And Randall Poster, who's one of the greatest music supervisors of all time, who's done like all the Wes Anderson films and so many amazing films. He was the music supervisor and uh I was living in New York at the time, and he called me up and he's like, Hey, do you want to sing this this Bob Dylan song going to Alcapolca. I was like, that's one of my favorite Dylan songs. I love the Basement tapes and I love that that era of Dylan. So we popped over to this studio and Colexico had already recorded the music and I sang the track and it all worked out, and then we flew out to Montreal to film the scene. I was like painting. I had to paint my face to kind of be like the Rolling Thunder era Dylan, but I wasn't. I wasn't like supposed to be him or anything. I'm just supposed to be this band leader that looks like him or reminds you of him from that era or whatever. And it was so funny because I took the white face paint. The makeup lady came and gave me the face paint, and they're like, and I knew that era of Dylan or whatever. She's like, so I'll let you put the paint on or whatever, you know, and I like was so nervous and so terrified. I wanted to do a really great job to put all this light paint all over my face, like so much. There's like, you know, probably like two inches of paint sticking on my face. And she comes back in and she's like, geez man, She's like, you don't have to do that much. She's like, let's get because if he would have done it, he probably just would have you know, put it on pretty quick or whatever. And I was it was just such a funny moment of like that thing, you know, that over perfectionist thing kind of coming in and biting you in the ass, right, so funny. So like today she helped me, like, you know, we took some of it off or whatever, and it was amazing. It was just such a cool part to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: That's so cool. What a cool experience, especially for someone who loves stealing.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Have you ever met him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean not really met him because he but we I got to sing with him a couple of times when we went on tour with him on the Americana Brama tour we did when it was I don't know, ten years ago or something, and that was really fascinating because it was us and Will Coo and Dylan and they had sold us on the idea of the tour that he wanted to play with everybody a lot. They're like, Dylan really wants to play with all the bands, and like we pictured ourselves sitting around the campfire at midnight, like let's learn all of desire or whatever, you know, all these like and of course we get to the tour. We don't see him, we don't hear from him, we don't meet him. You know, you you never even see him in catering or anything.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: His bus pulls up, he gets off the bus, plays this show, gets on the bus leaves. You know. That's and but then one night his bass player comes up to me and he's like, he's like, I think Bob wants you. Was sitting to night and he gives me a CD of this Reverend Gary Davis song that I I didn't know, and uh, Jeff from Wilco and I were like, go in the backstage and we've got our guitars and we're like, you know, we've got like whatever. A couple hours until we're supposed to sit him, sit him with him, and you know, yeah, we're both like terrified and we're trying to learn the song. And in the bass player Tony he's like, he's like, let's do this in the key of D and I don't really know keys or anything. So we're like, okay, if we'd like learn it, and I swear like five minutes before we're supposed to go on, the guitar tech comes back and he's like, I think Dylan wants to do it and be flat. So we're like, okay, do you to be flat? What is that? You know, we're like trying to figure out and I don't know the song well at all or whatever, you know, and then we's like go out, you know. I mean he was really nice on stage, you know, he welcomed us on stage or whatever, and we you know, stumbled our way through the song, and uh, we did. We did a couple of Revengdary Davis songs, and then we did the Weight by the band like four or five times, and every night he would change the key of that, so it was like constantly going up and down. You know. It's like it was so wild. But it was so crazy because you never got to like spend any time with him or anything, like we didn't have a conversation or anything. But when we were playing with him on stage, one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen, like like looking over it him and he is gone. I mean he's completely lost, Like his eyes were somewhere, you know, like tapped into something that really was. I think that like we're all part of this you know, for lack of a better word, cosmic ocean or consciousness or whatever that I really believe we're all tied into and we're all just little nodes off the same a wall of electricity, or we're little waves off the same ocean or whatever. And occasionally a person comes along that somehow their energy speaks to everybody, you know, in this different way, you know, like Dylan does, you know, and there's just this thing like being two feet away from him, you know, looking at him, when I was like I saw that wow thing or whatever. I guess that must be his connection to the thing, you know, because it was like really was no one was there in his body. You know, It's like he was in that place that I think we all know that place musicians know it is the place when they're lost in great music, you know, and they're they're lost in the moment. And I think the place most of it us know at best is like in love, you know, making love or that at that part of life where you're, yeah, you are gone, you know, you've you've forgotten all about this human experience and you are lost in the energy of love and God. And uh, that was one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to see is stand so close to uh, a hero like that and see that force was just it was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you played with anybody else and had that experience?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, We've been so lucky. It's so fortunate to like share the stage with so many unbelievable artists. You know, it's just like it it is, uh, I just yeah, or even seeing people like I got to see Edda James before she passed away, you know, and the energy you know, coming off of her, you know, just like really you felt like the place was going to be ripped apart. You know, it's like the the walls are gonna be ripped off the place, you know, the energy is so insanely for us. Or seeing Jonny Mitchell at the Hollywood Bowl last year, you know, just in the audience, you know, like not I'm like and I've always really loved and respected Jonny Mitchell, but it's never fully been my thing. It's never fully spoken to me fully deeply, because a lot of it, honestly just feels kind of over my head. It's very complex and very layered, and a lot of times I really so much respect and so much beauty. But seeing her, the unbelievable energy coming out of her, of like she's seen it all and lived to tell the tale now and you're seeing her in person all almost like she's she's all of the energy of everything that's ever happened in the history of mankind or whatever is like coming out of her as she sits on her throne. And it's like I kept getting this vision of her as like the power of like Marlon Brando and the Godfather or wherever, you know. But it's like, but like ten thousand Marlon Brandos, you know, just like the power coming off her just like I mean, like I couldn't believe it, you know, It's just like that's one really inspiring thing too that we talk about a lot as a band is like you see these people that really show you the age doesn't matter the way we think it does, and age is relative, you know, and nobody can help the help complications they may have, or if you have bad health or something happens to you, you know, obviously nobody can change or help that. But beyond that, seeing the Rolling Stones, I've seen them four or five times in the last few years, just unbelievable, you know, like they're not over the hill, old guys. You know, they're the greatest rock and roll band of all time and they're still alive. Yeah, and they're still blowing your mind, you know. Or you see Neil Young saying that still blowing your mind, you know, like still and that kind of stuff is just so inspiring. I've talked with the Specimen in the day. It's like we're all the first to see rock and roll grow old. Like this is all so new, Yeah, you know, it's all so new, and there's so many people like Jimmy Hendricks or whatever who died, or John Lennon who died or whatever. But then there's still so many people like Paul McCartney or like I still have gotten to hear Keith Richards ripped my mind in half with Gode. You know when he hits some big you know, it's just like.
Speaker 3: Just so lucky, so lucky to witness that unbelievably lucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah. How are you feeling about touring these days?
Speaker 1: It's so funny And we were talking about this the other day because we have never felt better about playing shows like the band as a unit, as like a like everything feels so beautiful and so unbelievable, and we've never felt better about like the music and the brotherhood and the harmony and the experience with everybody coming to the shows and the circle that's created by the audience and us, and the whole thing is it has never been more beautiful. And simultaneously, I feel like the more sober I've gotten in peaceful I've gotten, the harder the travels become. So it's been like this this crazy, uh back and forth thing of like oh my god, like I cannot sleep on the bus anymore, you know things like that where you're.
Speaker 4: Like, is it because you have back back stuff?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean a litany of that kind of stuff. It's just it's just interesting that. Uh. I think everybody recognizes that kind of thing in the in their own life where it's like nothing is ever one thing, you know, it's like always both had you know. I love this new I feel like this phrase. I don't know when it was born, but I feel like it's really come to more and more light in the past five years five years or so, this both hand things. And I think about that and it's like touring is this huge both and you know, it's like I've never loved playing shows more and I've never not enjoyed traveling more, you know. All the same time, it's like the travel is just so difficult for me. But it's like, but it's part of the what I mean, what can you do until they get the teleporter and then it we gotta do it.
Speaker 3: We got to do How do you get yourself in the mood for a show if you can't do like a couple of shots or whatever, it is, like, how do you get into them the mind frame?
Speaker 1: Well, I've never drank before shows. I always drank after shows, but I've never drank before shows because I'm really like, my dad really gave me a really good work ethic. I feel like in a really like sense of you know, like gott gotta show up for work and you gotta be ready to work, you know. But well, I've got a whole list of things I do. I mean, I've really got like a whole vocal warm up thing I do, and a whole meditation thing, and just like a quiet thing and an exercise thing and a music thing. And you know, it's like this series of like simultaneously getting relaxed and getting excited, you know, and like getting your voice warmed up so much energy and then we have a we always do a huddle, you know, and get our band energy going. And and I I asked Alice Coltrane a long time ago if we could use a piece of her music to as our walk on music, to kind of bless the stage. So there's this really cool piece I cut together of a couple of her instrumental portions that I feel like, is this really cool like thing that kind of comes out and like clears the energy of the stage before we come on. So yeah, just things like that. I try to pray. I try to really pray to the energy of the day and whatever forces might be there that just then it is what it is, and I can accept that, you know that. I hope it's a great experience for the audience, and I hope that it's a great experience for us, And I hope that I imagine the whole venue surrounded in like a golden light, and like try to imagine all of us surrounded in like some kind of protective, healing light. But then simultaneously, like, please help me accept whatever doesn't go right, Yeah, because that's going to happen too, you know, like because that's so so much out of your control when you step on the stage, you know, it's like and that's part of it, I think, is trying to accept that.
Speaker 3: Well, Jim, thank you so much for talking, Thanks for being so open. Thanks, Yeah, congrats on the new album.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: In episode description, you'll find a link to a playlist of our favorite mind Morning Jacket and Jim James tracks and again. To see the video version of this episode, visit YouTube dot com slash Broken Record Podcast, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the Broken Record Pod. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose with marketing help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tolliday. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and acthlete listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple Podcasts subscriptions, and if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app or Theme Music's back any beats.
Speaker 1: I'm justin Richmond.