Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, No. Member twenty seventh, and have you noticed, maybe even right now, certain members of your family have just kind of disappeared from the festivities as a group. They didn't announce it, no sentinel was made, but they just happened to all be on the same page for their cousin walk. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Romses. Not just it's called cousin walk, but it ain't just for cousins. Now, I've never heard of this before.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, I was gonna ask you have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 1: So I saw it plenty. I saw it last night.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I actually went into my daughter's room and I said, do you know what a cousin walk is? And she said, yeah, duh, when people secretly leave a gathering and go smoke weed.
Speaker 2: I've had no idea.
Speaker 3: So I was one of the squares that was completely clueless as everyone else left and did their thing.
Speaker 1: You weren't clueless to what they were doing.
Speaker 3: Oh last night, No, I knew what they were doing because I actually had already read about the cousin walk. So at this point I'm already very aware. But up until this year, oh, I would never have known what a cousin walk was. Never So they always say, think about it now. Like you're at Thanksgiving, a group of folks could be any age, any group of them just might suddenly individually disappear, or maybe they say, hey, we're gonna go get some ice, or oh, I left something in my car, and then someone else, so all of a sudden, several people are missing. We now know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, somebody, one person left something in the car, six of them need to go get it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So the whole point is you do this before dinner. You have a lot of benefits that arise from this. Number one, they're saying, you are ready to eat a Thanksgiving feast and nothing says thank you and gratitude to the host and scraping your plate clean and maybe even going back for seconds if you go and indulge. And it doesn't just have to be smoking. You can do the edibles, vaping, they were suggesting. It can be you could actually have a pot luck cousin walk. Everybody brings their favorite and as you're walking you can try each other's stuff and see which one's more fun. But you come back happier, more tolerant, and hungry as hell.
Speaker 1: But you don't, I guess you don't need a walk then, For if you're doing anipals, what are those people supposed to do?
Speaker 3: They could just individually go to the bathroom and oh, you know whatever. Yeah, there's a trip to the bathroom which includes a little extra something that I yeah, came out a little happier with no.
Speaker 2: But this is interesting, they say that now I was telling you about this.
Speaker 3: They have THHC infused oils, so people could be slipping rosemary and fuels infused oil into your stuffing, or there are a lot of things people say, folks are now putting into the meal to make everyone at the table a little happier, a little more laid back.
Speaker 1: That's tough. You're essentially drugging your family. We don't recommenc that. You gotta let them know.
Speaker 3: They were just they were just saying that this has now gotten so popular and there are so many different wide like huge amounts of ways to enjoy this where you can be more discreet perhaps than before marijuana. Now, did you know this is legal for medicinal use in forty states and recreational use in more than half of those. So this has become almost like normal. Think about ten years ago, even twenty years ago, this probably was going on, but not the way it is now.
Speaker 1: No, it's very mainstream people. It was. It was taboo for a little while. It's abunny coming back in smelling like all that stuff. Oh no, you couldn't do that, and then you were essentially got labeled as stoner. Correct, right, so it's a much much different.
Speaker 3: I heard my dad used that word last weekend. A stoner owner's not what that is. Yes, those are people who are brain dead, who stay high their entire life. That's not somebody who just has a little fun before the Thanksgiving meal.
Speaker 2: So I love this part.
Speaker 3: Apparently, now this Cousin Walk that everyone has known about for years and again has run rampant on social media that I have just found out about. They say that that has spurred now what they are calling Green Wednesday. I bet you can guess what Green Wednesday is.
Speaker 1: A Why a Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Because it's the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So now because the Cousin Walk has gotten so popular, and we're going to tell you, I am so shocked at all of these brands and companies who are going after this market because it's become such a phenomenon. But no, they say, the cousin Walk leads folks the day before to go to their local dispensaries, hit it up for whatever they need, and then take it with them to Thanksgiving, so much so that dispensaries now say that Green Wednesday, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, is the second biggest day for cannabis sales.
Speaker 1: After four to twenty.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, it's gonna ask you if you know what the number one. Yes, that's what the dispensary say.
Speaker 1: People really wait to four twenty to get there weed.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's the days around four to twenty. Yeah, you've got to be prepared, right. So that is interesting because I was telling you about I was reading all these stories about Green Wednesday. They're literally saying the cousin walk, it's now a thing. So many people are secretly doing it. And part of what makes the cousin walk fun, they say, one of the main parts of it is you have to be doing it in secret. You can't other people can't be aware. That's part of the fun. You go off and do it as a group on your own and the rest of the family is completely clueless.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, we're not clueless. We know what you're doing. I mean, y'all think I'll be And especially when you come back into the house, you're not smooth. Yeah hi now, and you sink and it's a totally different vibe, totally different move. Absolutely saw this play out at the house.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Absolutely saw it. A little group comes back, collected, too many of them sitting in too few chairs, all next to each other, not saying anything.
Speaker 2: That walk. You guys just got a little tired. You worked out a little too hard on that walk. No, it's funny. They were saying, this is huge on TikTok. We're not on TikTok.
Speaker 3: We tried to be and have completely failed it being a part of that community.
Speaker 2: Contributing to it, consuming any of it.
Speaker 3: But apparently there's the first rule of the Cousin Walk is that we do not discuss the Cousin Walk.
Speaker 2: So I guess maybe you feel cool, like.
Speaker 3: You're a part of things, and the so sad souls left behind who have no idea the fun that's being had all around them. No, but this is fun snack manufactured factorers are now getting in on the trend. Obviously, the munchies are a huge part of this. So I had no idea jiff peanut butter big ad last year on Instagram pre Thanksgiving dinner cousin walk and showed the Jiffy like a little that little portable Jiffy stuff you can have and putting it in your pocket.
Speaker 2: So they're like, oh, yeah, it's like portable peanut butter. You don't really like peanut butter.
Speaker 1: But peanut butter, what are you talking about it?
Speaker 3: They come in the little in the little plastic containers, Jeff, and then you just peel open the and now you have a little peanut.
Speaker 1: But No, no, no, no, I'm talking about the jar of peanut butter. They're just a really small jobs you can buy, like.
Speaker 3: To go peanut butters. I used to get them for the girls to take to school with them. So they're saying like they were suggesting that you slip one in your pocket when you go on your cousin walk after you get a little.
Speaker 1: But my question is, is what you're talking about just the miniature jar, no peanut butter.
Speaker 2: It's like no, It's like say, Okay. Here's the best example.
Speaker 3: When you go to McDonald's and you get a thing of ketchup and you have that little box and you can peel off the top, or the chicken nugget sauce you peel off the top.
Speaker 2: It's like that, but it's peanut butter in it. I first I've heard, okay, so they.
Speaker 3: Used that product as a part of this.
Speaker 2: This is also funny.
Speaker 3: Hidden Valley again had an Instagram ad in that valley yep, that promoted this is I was trying to figure this out, a Taco Bell collaboration with Hidden Valley, and they referenced the Cousin walk showing a Taco Bell box and a free Ranch dipping sauce that said this could heal me. So they know, like, you get the munchies, you want Taco Bell, but Hidden Valley thinks that maybe you want to dip your taco in a ranch packet in a way that maybe you only would if you were super high. So yeah, they're but it's funny they're taking these ads and putting them on Instagram. They know who they're going after. They're going after the social media crowd, the folks who are actually in on the secret about what. I guess it's not really a secret. It was just a secret to me about what the cousin walk is. I think that's fascinating.
Speaker 1: We're talking about You knew of it, you just didn't know there was a name for it.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't know people were leaving and going like at Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: Since when what I mean?
Speaker 3: I know that kids go and do it when they're trying to leave their parents, but I didn't think about it in like a family gathering, like you know, the cousins are going out while the uncles and aunts and the grandparents are all sitting around staring at each other. They're out having fun, taking a walk or getting a bag of ice, or walking the dog. No, so this was there was a public service announcement the Cannabis Media Council.
Speaker 2: This is a trade association.
Speaker 3: They're trying to remove the stigma of smoking weed, and so they actually have an ad campaign out that says, a quick loop around the block. Every family has a version of the Thanksgiving escape, usually led by the cousins who just need some air. It's like, if I had read this a week ago, Babe, I would not have known what they were talking about. Ah, what you say, right, I wouldn't have understood it at all. So and they also say, like when they're making their their case for why it's actually a good thing if members of your family are going out and taking a cousin walk, even if you disapprove, even if you don't want to partake, because they say, stoned people make.
Speaker 2: The best house guests.
Speaker 3: They said they're the first volunteer for chores, they're happy, don't mind helping out. They're also two stoned after the meal, and they don't really want to engage with folks, so they'll just hide out.
Speaker 1: Washing dishes and certainly not come back exactly really they are because you get paranoid. So is imbody going to notice that I'm high? So let me go do a project on my own, right.
Speaker 2: I'll help. I'll go do the laundry, I'll go wash the dishes.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'll uh, I don't know, get the outdoor ready for everyone to go outside around the fire pit.
Speaker 2: You'll do anything to get away so that people don't know that you're stone.
Speaker 3: So I thought that was funny that actually, if you do have a group going out, they'll end up being your favorite guests in your home.
Speaker 1: When they come back. Yeah, just have everything ready for them when they come back.
Speaker 3: All right, when we come back, we're going to give you some tips that we found to have a successful cousin walk. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and well some of us went on a turkey trot today and others went on a cousin walk.
Speaker 2: Which one would you prefer?
Speaker 1: Or what? You know, which one?
Speaker 2: I would prefer the turkey trot?
Speaker 3: You know what, I'd like a turkey trot first and a cousin walk afterwards.
Speaker 2: I think you can have both. You don't have to choose.
Speaker 3: But yes, we are talking about this widely known apparently by everyone else social media trend called the cousin walk, where a group of folks doesn't have to be cousins, but in a family gathering at Thanksgiving, go out and make up some bs errand or say they're taking a walk around the block and what they're actually doing is smoking a joint. Or as they suggested, you could bring a pot luck theme to your Thanksgiving turkey walk cousin walk and just share whatever pot you have and come back happier and better. So they do give some tips for how to have a success cousin walk. The first one is very important. Know your crew. You can't have someone being sloppy.
Speaker 1: Okay, you need to have no newbies on the cousin walk right, Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 3: That was what they said. All right, this was really important. Plan your exit and your re entry. They suggest having a preordained signal like when I you know, you know, raise my hand, my left hand and touch my nose. Everyone knows in the next minute or so to kind of get up and take out whatever I got to take out the trash, go take the dog, and leave from different doors, Like don't all leave from the same door.
Speaker 2: So you really have to have this, that's not possible.
Speaker 1: That's why. Yeah, we live in New York. We live in apartments, and there's usually one way in and one way out. So when I see seven people gathered at the door grabbing coats if we haven't even served the meal.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yes, okay, you know what's going on?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: I love this one. Someone said this.
Speaker 3: My go to excuse is to say that we forgot an important an ingredient for dessert and that we need to make a quick run to the grocery store. We never actually get in the car. We just take a quick loop around the block on foot, and then we returned and regretfully inform people that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, closed on Thanksgiving. That's something grocery stores do.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 3: They also say, you got to make sure you pick the right setting and the right route because that can impact your high. Your setting is important. So you want to make sure you go somewhere that's fun and pleasant. You're not worried about someone seeing you, or especially if you're smoking. Really, you got to think that ahead. You don't want to be paranoid while you're smoking.
Speaker 1: Pots or what about the house with that crazy guard dog it stars barking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could totally rely hie.
Speaker 3: Now, you want to make sure you have a pleasant, peaceful and private way to enjoy your cannabis. And then the others suggest this is a pro tip. They said, make sure you're prepared to mask the symptoms. Bring eye drops with you. If you have long hair and you are smoking, put your hair up when you go on the walk because then it won't catch all the smell when you come back in. They said, you can bring those little pocket for breezes and you can just spray your clothing before you walk in. And then here is the number one tip that I know that I could not follow if I if I was to go on a cousin walk, if I ever got asked to one. Somehow, try not to crack up at the dinner table.
Speaker 1: O thousands, they don't talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be hard for me too.
Speaker 1: Don't crack up at the dinner table.
Speaker 2: And that they said that. They said that was the hardest one of all.
Speaker 1: Everybody's gonna be making eyes at each other, seeing who's going to crack first, and.
Speaker 3: Then everyone else's been looking it wasn't that funny? Why do they think it's that funny? But they also said the good thing is if you are laughing a lot, you're gonna make the other members of your family who didn't go on the cousin walk feel like they're just the smartest, wittiest, funniest person ever. So actually they get something out of it too, because if you laugh at every dumb dad joke your uncle tells, he'll he'll.
Speaker 2: Feel kind of good. Yeah, he'll be flexing a little.
Speaker 3: He'll be flexing a little, like, man, I think I'm a little funnier than I thought. So again, this was definitely a pro cannabis article that was written, but in their summation, there really aren't many losers when it comes to the cousin back.
Speaker 2: As long as.
Speaker 3: You know who you're with and you know how to cover your tracks. And with that everyone, we hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We appreciate you listening to us. I may be Roeboch alongside TJ. Holmes and we will talk to you soon