Speaker 1: Mariors had a rough sort of ten game stretch, twelve game stretch to start the season. Since then, they've been one of the best teams in baseball, and I think that's their expectation.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're back and Adam is with us. Adam, great to be with you. Love the backdrop, very professional, very nice. Adam does a great job covering the Mariners and the Marinos of course for the Seattle Times. So let's talk about these ms a little bit. Logan Gilbert, we'll start with him. Adam has been diagnosed with a Grade one right elbow flexor strain and placed on the injured list. Now, this is not something that Logan Gilbert is familiar with, that whole il.
Speaker 3: How serious is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the Mayors believe and hope that they've dodged a bullet here. I talked to Logan on Saturday, right after he wrapped up his MRI, and he's encouraged.
Speaker 3: Obviously, he's frustrated.
Speaker 1: He's never been on the injured list before in his major league career. He wants to be out there for his team. He's confident in this team. He wants to be part of it. But this is obviously the best thing for him, the best thing for the team at this point. Shut it down for a couple of weeks. They'll reassess see where he's at. I don't think the Mariners and Logan Gilbert out of the woods entirely yet. I mean, yes, it's a Grade one flexer strain, which is encouraging. But you just never know with elbows, right, if we've learned anything in this era of pitching, they're unpredictable.
Speaker 3: You don't know.
Speaker 1: So obviously the Mariners have their fingers crossed hoping for the best. With Logan Gilbert. He's gonna shut down for a couple of weeks, and obviously you would expect at least two three weeks to build up after that if they deem yourself.
Speaker 3: Enough to return. But I think it is an encouraging update, at least at this.
Speaker 4: Point, encouraging that everybody's flexer strain ends up being a U See. I mean that's like you said, you said he was encouraged. Did you bring any like not negativity, but like the reality is that's like normally a precursor to Tommy John and this guy's never been hurt.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you hate to put it this way. But you know, for a guy who has thrown as many innings as he has over the last four years, and throws as hard as he does and throws as many splitters as he does, you wonder if it is a ticking time bomb. And again, maybe this is a precursor to something more serious. But the fact that it was a Grade one and they were encouraged by the images that they saw again is why they're walking away at least a little bit encouraged.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll reassess, take another image in two weeks and they'll find out, you know what, it's not improving and maybe we need to consider something more serious. But for what we know at this point, the Marriers are at least spinning a positive update on it.
Speaker 4: I know it was just rumors, but now they're really glad that it didn't get rid of Luis Castillo and they were looking to shed payroll because of all the extra spending that they've been doing. Is there a need for them to maybe go and add some starting pitching if this doesn't turn around.
Speaker 1: For them, Yeah, can't rule that out, you know, with the Mariners and the way they're constructed right now in the prospect system they have. They want to have one of the best and deepest farm systems in baseball right now. So I fully expect them to be as active, if not more active than any team come July. And we were obviously eyeing a you know, middle of the order type bat if one is available at that point. But again, if George Kirby is not fully right at that point, if if Logan Gilbert is still on the shelf, then yeah, they certainly have to look at, you know, some sort of proven starting pitching depth there. At the same time, we saw yesterday another Logan Logan Evans, twenty three year old twelfth round pick two years ago, comes up and makes his major league debut yesterday, pitches five solid innings against the Miami Marlins. He's another sort of hidden gem that the Mariners have found and developed and looks like a pretty good prospect for them. I think they're gonna let him, let him go, give him a runway here and see who can we can what he can do while Logan while Logan Gilbert is still still on the Men, but certainly rule that out. Again, I do expect Mayors to be fully active this summer.
Speaker 3: They expect to be in it.
Speaker 1: It's a wide open AL West, It's a wide open al overall, and I think the Mariners are are quietly expecting that they're going to be in it throughout the season.
Speaker 5: Here, Adam. Is cal Rawley the best catcher in baseball? That's the question. I picked him. We did a thing where we got to pick three players to start our team with and he was one of my three. So obviously I think he's if not one, he's one or two. So is cal Rawley the best catcher in baseball?
Speaker 1: I would defer to you on that, Aj, But I was saying a year ago at this time that you know he's right there as the best two way catcher in baseball, and now I don't think you need to qualify it as two way.
Speaker 3: I think he's right there. You obviously look at Will.
Speaker 1: Smith and his track record with the Dodgers, Contreras in Milwaukee, Real Mutto Orioles obviously have a special one there too. But what cal Rawly is doing defensively I think puts him over the top. When the Platinum Glove last year in the American League and then signing that Contra, just what he means to this pitching staff beyond just the defense, the way he commands his pitching staff. There's a reason these guys have been so good the past couple of years. A lot of reasons these guys have been so good, but certainly cal Rawlely is near the top of the list. These guys don't shake off cal Rawley, and if they do, they hear about it, and if they do, cal Rawley is not giving them another option at that point. It's actually pretty entertaining sometimes when some of the young pitchers try to try to shake him off or want something else, He's just not having it.
Speaker 3: So he's earned that trust's and now he's.
Speaker 1: Doing it with the bat consistently too, leading the majors, tied for the Major League League and home runs. He's always had that slug. I think the goal for him this year offensively was to cut down on his strikeout right a little bit, get on BASEI a little bit more, be a tougher route with two strikes, and we are seeing that so far here in the first month. To me, he really has elevated himself into that next territory.
Speaker 2: He's certainly making the most of that extension that they gave him. Right before the season started, Adam, I will see your cal rawly all rate you and dress munos to see the best reliever in baseball. We don't talk about him enough, should we be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's kine of the that's just his personality. He's really is one of the nicest guys in effect. As we talk right now, I think he's doing a charity event at a local animal shelter. He loves cats, and he's raising awareness and doing something for cats here locally in Seattle. And he's just genuinely one of the nicest human beings that I've been around. I have no problem acknowledging that. Just a genuinely sweet, likable, lovable guy. And then he can throw a hundred miles per hour with a nasty sinker, and then maybe the best slider in baseball as well. It's not allowed to run here. On his first fourteen appearances of the season, you look at his baseball war he's right there with the top of all pitchers, not just relief pitchers right now through the first month.
Speaker 3: Of the season.
Speaker 1: So yeah, to me, a guy who's been underrated the last couple of years, probably because he's pitching in Seattle, But to me. He has absolutely elevated himself into that top tier class of relievers.
Speaker 6: If you want a razor that looks good, makes you look good, gets the shave done, and doesn't cost much.
Speaker 5: Uh oh oh.
Speaker 3: Is it nice?
Speaker 4: That's a Harry John and you can smell it too, smell it. Oh wow, that's Harry's. That's the shavejel.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: Look, I mean, you look.
Speaker 5: Scary.
Speaker 4: Man shut fresh, come in, come, in, come and get I don't want to touch.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, looks like German engineered blades made in their own factory that stays sharp longer.
Speaker 4: I'm using the razor and it does not. You can start to feel when it gets dull. I mean, you guys only do like here and like up here. I'm doing Acreach. Get the edge on your shave with Harry's. Normally their trial set is ten dollars, but right now you can get it for just six dollars at harrys dot com slash foul. That's our exclusive link harrys dot com slash foul for a six dollars trial set. Anytime we ever talk about Seattle's offense the last few years, we say they're strong up the middle cal Raley, JP Crawford, Julio Rodriguez. All three guys are signed to an extension. The first one was JP Crawford. Is he the catalyst for this team? I know he's hitting ninth and so it's hard to be like a catalyst when I watch this team. And I don't watch as much as you watch or people on the West Coast watch, but I watch a lot of games. I feel like when he's not in the lineup, when he's injured, like last year he's injured for part of the year, when he's out there, something about him and the way he runs around the field with energy, it makes me feel like he's the catalyst. Am I right or wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He won a Gold Glove I think in twenty twenty, and the defensive metrics don't love him because I don't think he particularly is particularly strong going to his right. Everything else, he makes every single routine play and I don't think you can say that about anyone.
Speaker 3: And I'm not picking on Ellie J. Lacruz, but the Marriers played there last week.
Speaker 1: I saw Daily Cruz for Again, it's only three games, but I saw every play for three games, and I would take JP Crawford defensively in a heartbeat over Ellie day La Cruz. I know he makes those miraculous catches and pop ups and has all these highlight plays. JP Crawford is the steadiest shortstop I think I've ever seen at the major league level over a long period. He's the best I've ever seen coming in on ground balls.
Speaker 3: He makes that play every time, he makes it look easy. Those aren't easy.
Speaker 1: And then you add in what he's doing again offensively, he gets on base as well as anyone in the American League right now, over four hundred on base. He's got a great eye. That's exactly what you want at the bottom of the lineup. He's not going to give you a ton of home runs, but I think he's playing a lot freer right now. I think he's learned from Edgar Martinez, Kevin Sitzer. Just up the middle, opposite field approaches is that's who he is at this stage of his career. He doesn't need to drive a ball to the ballpark. Just be a tough out, be it tough at Matt, get on base as much as you can, and he is really valuable in that regard, and especially valuable for this team doing that at the bottom of the lineup, Adam.
Speaker 5: I hate to even mention this because it's it's just low hanging fruit, it seems like. But they got rid of Scott's Service last year and we had just had Scott on. He was a great interview and he knows the game inside and out. Did that make a difference getting him out and having Dan Wilson come in? Because last month they were better. Now they've carried it over into this month, especially offensively, So does it make that big of a difference. And I don't want you to take a shot at all at Scott Service, But is it just the fact that maybe it was a different voice saying maybe the same thing but a different way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there is something to that against Scott Service. I thought he was exactly what this organization needed at the right time. He really provided a ton of stability, got them to the playoffs in twenty twenty two, ended that pretty historic drought, and I think he was a great manager. Honestly, I think he was really underrated. I think he got a bad rap for some of his you know, bullpends making stuff. Obviously those things are easy to second guess. For Monday morning quarterbacks. But I thought he did a really really good job for this organization for a long time. That said, they just got to that point last August. It was two months of pretty bad baseball. They blew a ten game lead, and I think we could all kind of see it coming. I didn't think it was gonna happen when it did. But yeah, to your point, I think a change of voice, a little bit of a change of tone sometimes can do teams wonders, and I think it did for the Mariners. Really, what's happened is they've really just simplified things. I think I dan Wilson as kind of the ultimate throwback type manager.
Speaker 3: He was, you know, he played for Lou Banella.
Speaker 1: You think of Lou Panella and his style obviously, you think of him throwing bases and blowing up on umpires and all the drama, and you know, he was a fun guy to be around in that regard. But he got the best out of his players every night. And I think that's what Dan Wilson took from Lou that he just wants these guys to show up and compete every single night. Win this pitch, when this at bat, win this game, worry about tomorrow tomorrow, and I think that's the right message at the right time for this team, especially for some of the young guys on the team.
Speaker 3: Julio in particular. Just get in the box and compete.
Speaker 1: You don't have to worry about a specific pitch in a specific zone, in a specific count, which is what the Mariners were doing.
Speaker 3: I felt like at times.
Speaker 1: Last year they got too deep in the woods, in the weeds offensively, and guys were thinking too much in the box.
Speaker 3: You can almost see their heads spinning a little bit when they step in.
Speaker 1: Now we're seeing guys just hey, just the line, drive up the middle, if you get something hanging, drive it out of the ballpark. And it's working again. I think they're third in baseball right now in home runs. You got Cal Rawly, you got Jorge Plonko, we haven't mentioned his name yet, off to a career start to his season here, and it is working again. I think Scott Servers was the right guy at the right time, and it does feel like the early returns with Dan.
Speaker 3: Wilson or he's the right guy at the right time to kind of help this team in this organization take that next step.
Speaker 1: Adam, is this no, sorry, go ahead, guys.
Speaker 4: Oh no sorry. Another name that you didn't mention was Player of the Week last week. And Dylan Moore, who has been doing really well and consistent at bat. So you're talking about taking those line drives, do you think or I should say, who is most affected by Kevin Sitzer and bad Bobby Maggian is coming in and making this change, Like have you seen a drastic approach change where it's like, not pull hook balls, take the ball to the opposite field.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I put JP and Dylan Moore at the top of that list for sure. Dylan Moore and I talked to him about this. I was like, when I think of Dylan.
Speaker 3: Moore, I think of a straight, pull a ball in the air hitter.
Speaker 1: He's a guy who doesn't have a ton of pop, but he's got good pop for a major league hitter and for a super utility type guy. He's kind of got the most out of his talent and athleticism. And I don't mean that in the meaning way, Like he's made himself a legit major. He won a Gold Glove last year. He's been super valuable for this team because he can virtually play every position on the field and then be a guy who crushes left handers. This year, I think he went into spring training they worked with him, Hey, you're strong enough, you're good enough to be able to hit the ball up the middle and hit it to right field too. And I thought it was telling. In the first homestand he hit a home run at Teamable Park in Seattle too, straight away right field, something he'd never done in his career before. And then I think his first series on the road in San Francisco, he hit one out straight away center field too. I'm like, okay, this is different, and he saw it start to click for him pretty quick, and it's carried over and again. He's a guy who they feel comfortable enough where he could be an everyday guy at second base, maybe even third base.
Speaker 3: But he is so good plug you can plug and play him anywhere. He's valuable coming off the bench. He's a great pinch runner, great pinch hitter.
Speaker 1: That's the type of guy you see the Dodgers employee for so long now and make best use of, really find that matchup advantage somewhere, and he provides just so much for the Marriers in that regard. And this is again I talked about a guy off to a career year, a perfect time for him. He's gonna be a free agent after this year, and I think he's making himself some money too, So good for Demo Adam. Before we let you go?
Speaker 2: Is this the year that the Mariners should shine? I mean, the Athletics aren't doing anything. Houston isn't the same powerhouse. The Rangers aren't in anyone's top power rankings or anything like that. Is this the year the Angels are angeling?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Angels? Yeah, aren't they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: I think we all thought it'd be the Astros, the Rangers, and the Mariners kind of jockeying for position in the aos.
Speaker 3: It's played out that way so far.
Speaker 1: Mariners had a rough sort of ten game stretch twelve game stretch to start the season. Since then, they've been one of the best teams in baseball, and I think that's their expectation, you know. I know people were frustrated Mariners fans were frustrated about their lack of moves and lack of spending in the offseason. Frankly, I think that was all legitimate, But I think the Maners were quietly pretty confident that you know, if a healthy whore Heye, Bolonco is able to bounce back. If they can get Julio just kind of on track a little bit earlier this year, and I think there are some signs despite his little batting average, I think there's some signs that that Julio could be could get right sooner than he typically does. And then they're pitching obviously that they're not as healthy as they have been right now, but I think they're pretty confident in just their operation, no matter who they have out there, that they're going to get some results pitching wise, pitching in Seattle in particular. So yeah, I fully expect the Mariners to be there at the end of They get the best team in the American League right now, or they can be the best team in the American League come September.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I think they're going to be in the mix.
Speaker 1: And I think Jerry Depoto has proven that he's not afraid to take a big swing come July. He got Luise Cassio a few years ago, he got Randy or Roseina last year. He will deal a big time prospect if it's the right person at the right time, And to me, that's makes them a really fascinating follow if nothing else.
Speaker 5: Okay, two things, one nobody can hit and seattle. So you're giving them way too much credit because I mean, eventually the batter's eye is going to go slant it and we're gonna have to hear about.
Speaker 4: Oh the Mariners can't en. I mean all of a sudden they can it.
Speaker 5: It's weird how you change your approach and stop trying to hit home runs on every pitch in a park that's not gonna do some to home runs. Strange how that works out. But also Julio Rodriguez you mentioned it. Why does he always get off the slow starts every year? It's like, oh, you need Julio to get started. I mean, and then they're like, last year he changed his swing and he did this and he finds someing that works. Just stick with it and go into it with the next season. Why do we got to try to change everything? And why is it cold?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: What is it with Julio that it takes him till May or June to get going?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think if I had the answer, Yeah, I just don't. The Mariners clearly don't have a great answer for that. Either. You can check my email inbox right now too. Mariners fans are asking the same thing, Aja, I'm hearing it.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 1: I think the frustrating thing for the Mariners and Mariners fans is it feels like the same thing over and over with Julio at this time of year. Just a lot of chase, a lot of sliders off the plate, and you know he's not making those adjustments.
Speaker 3: I will say, talking to people, even talking to Julio a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, to me, he does feel like he's in a better headspace right now than he has been early the past few seasons. He's hitting the ball harder than ever, particularly early in the season, like a significant jump two miles.
Speaker 3: Per hour average. As at the Filo. His babup is really low right now for a guy with.
Speaker 1: His athleticism his speed, I just can't imagine his babbit is gonna stay around two twenty the entire year. So we're used to seeing him picking him up, pick it up after the All Star Game, and like I said, I think there are some real signs, particularly his smike in his walk right right now, that that breakout's gonna happen a little bit sooner again, Mariner fans just gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to be patient.
Speaker 1: We're all gonna have to be patient till it comes. But he's too good to stay down this long, if.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: All right, Adam, appreciate the insight, great stuff. Appreciate you coming on Foul Territory for the first time. You're a Foul Territory newbie. Hope to have you on again. You can catch Adam and read his stuff on the Seattle Time, so we appreciate it. Have a good day.
Speaker 3: Thank you, guys. Appreciate it.