Speaker 1: Right justin middle of the field forty five fifteen, bring Russ in front.
Speaker 2: Of a leading Lions in his way.
Speaker 3: I am Jeff jonahad.
Speaker 4: Liitz is on dot go r What was like playing for Cochi?
Speaker 1: Good done?
Speaker 2: I don't want to answer any questions like that. Sixty one yards?
Speaker 3: What's Sunday Stroll for? Justin field?
Speaker 4: Bears et Cetera, brought to you by Miller Lte with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 3: It's business season on the National Football League.
Speaker 1: This is dollars and cents extensions, re signing, free agent tampering, opening next Monday, all while preparations for the late April draft continue. We tackled all here on Bears et Cetera. I'm the voice of the Bears, Jeff Joningac, my broadcast partner super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Fair. This is episode number fifty eight, and we have no shortage of topics and never enough time to get on top of it all.
Speaker 3: And our special guest joining us after.
Speaker 1: One grinding week in Indianapolis as pro always the very very busy Stacey Dale's from NFL Network, their outstanding NFL reporter has been there, I believe for a decade now. When I say she works hard, I observe this every combine. But Tom, you're not there to put eyes on it. You're only watching the end result. But the work that goes in is impressive. And we're going to get into that today as we break things down and also talk about the Chicago Bears. But first of all, Tom, how are you feeling and welcome in Stacy?
Speaker 3: Will you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Feel good? I'm welcome in Stacey. It's a great to see.
Speaker 5: I did watch you all weekend on the NFL combine and I became aware that you would be a tight end if you did play in the NFL. You know, it must be your versatility because you look at what's required out of the tight end position nowadays, from the h back to the full back to the online tight end, shortyardage and goal line.
Speaker 2: You must be one heck of an athlete because I know you like.
Speaker 5: Set screens and blocking is not setting a screen. You gotta get some movement when you block.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I would go tight end because it's kind of weird. Tom. My actual favorite position group is the O ligneman, so you're in that category and the reason I love the OL lignment is because I just I think they get all lumped together. But there's such unique specialty parts to every single one of those five spots on the offensive line, and if one guy doesn't do his job, then everything fails and falls apart. And so I love those guys. Plus they're super smart and they tell me things that a lot of other players don't and teach me things. But I love tight ends because they actually get to catch the football and block too, so they kind of have that little hybrid in the middle in between thing. And yeah, so those are those guys on my faves.
Speaker 1: I guess now, if I'm not mistaken. Your brother played in the CFL.
Speaker 3: Correct what it was? He an offensive lineman?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was a punter.
Speaker 3: Actually, oh okay, don't tell yeah. Tom's not a big fan of kickers.
Speaker 2: Don't say that. Don't say give me a bad name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he should have been like I don't know, and he should have been a tight end or you know, an outside linebacker type guy who was huge, six three two forty. But he when he was in college, he pulled his biceps or something in his arm, and I picked up. We grew up playing soccer. So he picked up a ball and started kicking, and they made him a punter. So he was the hardest hitting punter in CFL history.
Speaker 5: Hey, so stas as hard as I see you work at the NFL Combine. Now go back to nineteen eighty three when I came out of college. We had three combines. We had one in Tampa, one in Seattle, in one in Detroit, and they were all equally as exhausting as the one combine that you go to. Could you imagine traveling around the country a week apart and doing three different combines with the same group of guys that you saw one in two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Hell no, and nor what I yeah, I mean what we deal with in India. If I had to think it would extend beyond what you're talking about coming out of Notre Dame, I'd be like, no way, no shot in hell I'm going to all those Uh. That's why we got Pro Day's and that's why we have all those breakdowns. But the Combine has become a super Bowl. Like our coverage on the Combine is it's so vast and extensive every day, I mean six to seven hours of live TV every day with Rich and Daniel Jeremiah and our crew and then all the other parts that go with it. Charles Davis, I mean the number of players that we prepare for. I mean, I'm not an analyst, but like before the Combine, after the Super Bowl, I spend two weeks doing a deep dive into the at least the top eighty five players, pulling all those names from all those different lists. And you know, it's important because you you ought to get to know players like Ben Sinnett, Kansas State tight end, who became my favorite when I met him at the Combine because of his personality. He's got like a George Kittle personality and his favorite thing to do is block, but he's you know, you can put him out running back if you want. Like so, you just you have to get to know all these guys because at some point I'm going to cover them on a national perspective in the league.
Speaker 1: Stacy Dale's our guest here on Bears, et cetera. And as always we are sponsored.
Speaker 3: By Miller Lte.
Speaker 1: Let me give you a behind the scenes for folks, because that was my twenty eighth combine and in the old days, there were maybe fifty reporters, and there were no NFL PR departments directing you what to do. You just had free access to every single scout, coach player walking through and it was crazy. I mean I remember interviewing Orlando Pace and I was thinking, how's this guy.
Speaker 3: Getting a stance? You know, he's like monster.
Speaker 1: But Odium four that's one of probably ten to twelve at any given moment in twenty twenty minute chunks that these players come through. So you have to pick where you want to go. And I'm sure Stacy, because you're working with the big names, you try and hit all those number fours at the podium. But it's the biggest group of people a bunch of and it's not just journalists anymore. It's podcasters, it's guys who just write or talk or do stuff on the NFL draftnicks, whatever. It's a very interesting collection of individuals. But Tom Stacy's got her notepat. She's feverishly writing, she's wedging her way in now. She was an outstanding All American basketball player at Oklahoma Boomer sooner and so she can work her way around the post a little bit and throw an elbow or two.
Speaker 3: But it's feverish work.
Speaker 1: And then she slides off and tries to get one on one with guys. It is an impressive job by you. And I'm not just saying that because I've written you texts, some of which you haven't responded to be because you're probably sick of me saying.
Speaker 3: How great a job you do, Because you really do.
Speaker 1: And there's so many great reporters out there, but the way you do it's different. So then you watch the telecast, which I didn't get a great opportunity to. I watched segments, I've taped it. I haven't gone him through. Tom says he's watched each episode three times. You really have this way with these players, these kids, they're kids, right, You really have a way of connecting with these players, Stacy. What do you think the reason is for that? Is it just your outstandingly social nicety that you are or what I mean?
Speaker 3: You know your stuff? Number one? Do you think they connect in that regard?
Speaker 4: I'm Canadian, so that's part of it. I don't know. I honestly, so my approach you guys, we've known each other for years, And thank you for saying that. I do see your text and if I didn't respond, I apologize. I can't stand it when people don't respond to mine, So I'm going to improve that.
Speaker 3: If I didn't, I'm no better.
Speaker 2: Believe me.
Speaker 4: We talk though in person, and I appreciate it because it is a grind and you got to be prepared before you go in and then you've got to just jump in. But I don't. I'm not entitled to anything, so that's for me. That's the difference. I don't think because of anything I've accomplished or anything I've done earns me the right or affords me the right. Just to get access to anything, you got to work for it. You got to plan for it and be grateful when it happens, and when it doesn't, maybe next time. So when I approach players, I approach them with respect. I have done my homework on them, and I give them that because they deserve it. And that goes for you guys, my colleagues and my friends and any coaches I cover in the National Football League. I do my due diligence and I always go in without an entitlement. And I think that mindset of humility allows me to connect with people at a different level. And I'm grateful for those moments like, I don't take it for granted for a second.
Speaker 5: Stace, You're an athlete by background.
Speaker 2: When you go out there and.
Speaker 5: You see a combine for a future your football players, because of your background and athletics, does it give you a chance to look at something, recognize something, notice something, pay attention to something that because of your past experience helps you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I think that's a huge part of it, Tom. You know when people have that hit factor with what they do, and so like when you're at a podium like Terry on Arnold and you've talked to people about them the cornerback out Obama and then you get the opportunity to speak with this guy, right, he's got the it factor. It's just there's something special there. You can feel it. And I think that comes from my days. I mean, you know, when you play with somebody like Shimiki holds claw like, you have to come to a different level of a standard and expectation. And so I think that in the NFL as well. You're around all of these incredible the NFL is, It's like pro sports are incredible. I mean, Tom, you played, you want us to bowl. There's something special about being around on just take Layman's terms of all eleven on a football field or all twenty two, Like, you can't play in this league if you're not extraordinary. So you just you have that mindset, but then you can pick out the guys that are really extraordinary and now you've got something special. And so I think, you know my days playing at every level and being an all star professionally and being a team captain on all my teams, I think you can kind of learn how each part works on a team and how all those personalities come together and then pull them out of people, bring out the goodness of people, you know, so that I kind of I kind of have a little bit of an advantage that way, because that's what I feel like I'm able to do with these players.
Speaker 5: Watching this combine specifically, and again I've watched every combine every year since I've been in and out of football, just I enjoy watching it. I really call my attention this yearide because I saw some dynam athletes in every single position, in more than one, in a lot of positions, And I don't know if it's something they're being more professionally prepared for the Combine or is this uniquely enough, a great group of guys that is gonna set the nineteen eighty three or one of the other standards that come into a draft and change the league for a few years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're right on, Tom. I think this is an extraordinary offensive draft, like the lineman. When I was on the field Sunday watching these linemen, and I talked to gms around the league offensive line coaches because you know, it's just such great access. When you're there, they're just salivating. Like this group of tackles, I think we're going to see an unprecedented number of tackles get drafted in the first round. I mean the number that consistently I got back was eight.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: But you know, pick your poison with these guys, like and then there's going to be a wave that go later on too. As far as it's so deep the center position, I like, it's so good. Graham Barton, Jackson, Powers Johnson, Like, these guys are technicians, but they're maulers, and I am I cannot wait to see how these linemen impact their teams next year. Like when I think about the Bears, you know, maybe they're one starter away from really starting to put together that line, right, I love their bookends and think about how good Darnell Wright's going to be this year after playing basically the entirety of his rookie season and fighting for through a couple of things. But man, they got a good one there. Like, so I love the linement. The receivers are, I mean, save you're worthy. So I'm going to dinner. I'm going to Elmos on Sunday night, and I bump into a couple of the Chiefs coaches and they grab me. They're in stays for whatever, and we started talking because like Tyreek Hill, it's a real thing, like what are they gonna do with their They want him so badly they want Exavier, Like just coaches are gonna say that to you, right, But that young man just bumped himself, shot himself right up into the first round of the NFL Draft based upon his forty He didn't do even dude rollwork. So like, these receivers are fast. Romo Dunes is phenomenal to be around, Malik Neighbors, Like this group is outstanding. And then you've got six quarterbacks and how are they going to fall on the board and per you know, understanding Caleb Williams is probably going to be a Chicago Bear.
Speaker 3: Tastes like Middle Time.
Speaker 1: Go to middle Night dot com slash bears pod define delivery options near you, celebrate responsibly Middle Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. Let me pick up the baton there, because your interviews were worthy. He was out of breath on the four to two two and then it was dropped to a four to two one and past the record and the place blew up, and then Rome and Donesday's staying and repeatedly trying to master that three cone.
Speaker 3: I mean, take me there. I've never seen that before.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you brought this up because I've never seen it. So I'm all the way down at the other end and we're about to I'm about to log my final report for the day. So everybody has finished, and I look down and I'm always kind of surveying the field, you know. I'm the eyes and ears for so many fans that they want to know what's happening. They want to know these guys. And I look down and I see Rome and what is he doing? He's like huddled over because he's winded on his shorts, kind of like if you know you're down on your knees you've just done something. It's really intense. And I looked at my crew and I said, what what is Rome still doing droll work for? And I was, you know, I was working with one of my colleagues, Jamie was there, and she goes, oh. So then I got in my producer's ear and I said, guys, I'm seeing this player who's going to be probably a top ten pick down doing the three cone drill. What the hell's happening? Why is he doing this? So I said, let's go. So I was like, let's go into production mode. So I walked the end of the field and I watched him and he was pissed. He was like, he was trying to hit below a six six. He kept hitting a you know, hitting the cone, so you have to start over. You're not allowed to hit the cone with your foot or anything. And he's trying to get below a six to six and he landed on a six ' eight by the end of it, and they had to stop him like the combine had ended. And so they said, dude, you know the guys that do the testing, like the every group. They're like, dude, you're gonna have to do it your pro day. What great job. You know, you did a really good job today, man, So you know I talked to him. He's like, he wanted to be faster, he wanted to be on it. This is going to be a top ten pick. Models his game after DeVante Adams and his route running, and he is going to be really special at the next level. That's what that whatever team gets them, they're going to get that type of a work ethic.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 1: You contrast that to players that elect not to participate for whatever the reasons are, and there are many and nets happen over the years. It seems to be growing in many of the combine activities, including bench press across the board outside of the forty in a vertical jump, maybe a broad jump, some.
Speaker 3: Of those drills.
Speaker 1: It's not one hundred percent par dissipation as much as we would all like it, and I, you know, I get it, it's not for everybody for a variety of different reasons and maybe the representation that is in their ear.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 5: Well, when I came out in nineteen eighty three, John Elway didn't do a lot of stuff at any of the combines, and so he was kind of, you know, got the behind the scenes whispering of all the other players being.
Speaker 2: Envious of the fact that he's got so.
Speaker 5: Much confidence in himself, but also going, wow, I can't believe this guy is not going to do anything, because you know, this is what we're here for. So you have some past experiences, but you know, times have changed, and I'm and il money has changed the thinking process a lot of a lot of players. But you know, states, when you talk about these guys who did well or didn't do so well, are there any pro days that you're super interested in because you need to see more from somebody, or you need to see a little improvement, or you just want to see what they're going to offer you on their college site.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean everybody who didn't do anything at the combine, right, Caleb Williams didn't participate, obviously, Drake May didn't participate. Michael Pennix did he participate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I loved him. Actually, who Jane Daniels, didn't you Daniels? Yeah, Michael Pennox was my favorite quarterback just generally overarching my takeaways, I loved him.
Speaker 2: The Ohio State receiver.
Speaker 4: Marvin Harrison was a complete no show, a complete note show, didn't even do is media availability. I want to hear from him. I want to know kind of what went into that decision.
Speaker 3: Are you going to Annie, I don't.
Speaker 4: We're actually covering fewer this guy this year, guys just because of our budget, I'm guessing. But we'll probably be at the quarterbacks. We'll be at all the top quarterbacks, I'm guessing. But yeah, I want to I want to be at their pro days. I want to see them work. Some of the injured players I definitely want to see or at least be able to talk to on a different level that are going to be top picks or maybe that got hurt and are going to come back. Wiggins like, he's the guy who ran super fast for the d backs at out of Clemson, and see if he's healthy by his pro day. So they're important days. I mean, they're really important. And you know, the whole Caleb Williams thing not doing the medical I a lot bothered. A lot of people didn't bother me, And my takeaway was that he wanted to do medical for medicals for the teams that are interested in drafting him, and I actually don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 1: What were your overall impressions of him talking to him and watching at the podium.
Speaker 4: I thought he was very charismatic, Yeah, extremely charismatic, extremely confident. I would say he was very purposeful in his public address, he actually said I wanted to talk to you guys to kind of put together or put to bed some of the noise that's out there. I thought he answered questions without any reaction, Like as far as emotional, you know, when people said, are what you know? Talk about him as a competitor, why he, you know, got so emotional after a loss? Like I don't. Part of me and you can chime in on this as part of me doesn't understand why people were so upset that he was so upset after he lost, Like when you put everything into this thing as a former athlete, I lost games where I was in the locker room sobbing, like it's like it's your whole life, you know, and is it Are we saving lives? No, we're not emergency doctors. But when you put your whole life into something and it doesn't work out, it's really hard. And whether you're on teams that lose a lot, which I've been on, or teams that win a lot, which is joyous. You go through a lot as an athlete or a coach or somebody who's been in the trenches. And if you've never been a competitor like that, you just don't know what it's like. So I get it. I don't know Tom like you've been there, Like I don't get like people think, you know, criticizing the guy for being emotional after he doesn't perform.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, one thing I fit people don't take into account and the fact that he won a Heisman Trophy as junior year.
Speaker 2: Now every time that they have they.
Speaker 5: Suffer a loss of lessons as chances of winning that Heisman Trophy again his senior year, which has an enormous impact because it's daily conversation.
Speaker 2: And for me, going back five years after.
Speaker 5: The Super Bowl when we lost the NFC Championship game at Hall to the San Francisco forty nine ers, it still haunts me. So it's not something that's ever going to lead the player. You and your basketball experience and me and my football experience. It's something that's it's always going to haunt you. And one thing I was I was interested so last year when I would watch the Combine, when I would see Bryce Young stand around the other quarterback candidates, and he looked obviously small to me, and just something that's always kind of impacted my evaluation of him. When you see Caleb stand around the other quarterback six's one and one eighth, I think Jeff was telling me, is he does he look the size?
Speaker 2: Did he? Did anything strike you about that?
Speaker 4: Just extremely athletic even in his street clothes. I mean he's I'm not concerned about his size at all. He's got a nice he's got a broad build up top, he's got a nice lower base. You know, I'm six feet and I know what you're talking about with Bryce because I went over and talked to him. We were just kind of on the field watching stuff at the Combine last year, and he is a little bit smaller, even his frame is a little bit smaller, whereas you're standing with c. J. Stroud and like that guy's that guy's gonna be able to take a few hits, you know what I mean. Uh, Anthony Richardson was a free like unlike anything I've seen him. By the way. He's doing really well. I was talking to Chris Ballard. He's throwing again. He looks outstanding. Yeah, I'm not concerned about Caleb Williams is six to one. I think he gets a great offensive line. He can playoff schedule so well. I did. I did talk to Lincoln Riley about him, because obviously my Oklahoma ties to Lincoln. We have the same birthday, little little fact toy. I talked to him this past couple couple days ago just so I could speak, uh intelligently about Caleb, and I just kind of asked him what, you know, what what he's loved about coaching him over the years, And obviously he reminded me he still really young. So many these guys lost time from the COVID season and then they transitioned out about Oklahoma together they went to California USC. One thing he said to me that I really appreciate and I believe, is he is fixated on his weaknesses and he is such a natural link and told me such a natural confidence about himself that because of that natural confidence, which is just this innate it thing, right, he's aware more so of his weaknesses than his strengths. The strengths just happened. The weaknesses, you know. I remember Ryan Poles telling me at the combine when we were interviewing him on camera over six minutes. We talked about his assessment and evaluation in Kansas City when he was there for thirteen years, but the period of time when they evaluated Patrick Mahomes and how they fell in love with him and the football was always there, and he said there were some holes. There were some holes, and he had a whole year with Alex Smith that quarterback to kind of started seeing these flashes in practice. But you know, my point is is there are holes in all of these quarterbacks. And I think if he does go to the Bears, he's going into a good situation with a good defense, a very experienced offensive coordinator in Shade Waldron who's won a couple of Super Bowls, who's worked with Bill Belichick, Sean mcphay, Pete Carroll, some of the greats he's worked with, and Caleb Caleb. For Lincoln to tell me that he's fixated on improving his weaknesses, I think that was that's pretty telling about his desire to be a winner.
Speaker 1: For all your journeys ahead, go with a partner who's been on your team from the beginning, the one members and communities have trusted for over eighty five years. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, always standing by you, with you, for you through it all. Remaining moments with Stacy Dale's here on Bears, et cetera, Podcast number fifty eight. So I know you're Midwest based, so you hit a lot of the division opponents and so forth. What have you come to I love about living in Chicago, a member of the Chicago Sky and the WNBA at the end of your pro basketball career. But the jumping off point to other areas around the country. But do you love living here and do you love covering the Bears?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's my home. Of course, I love living here. This is my place. I mean, this is my this is where you know. I'm originally from Canada. I went to Oklahoma, and I went to DC, then down to Florida and over to LA and California, and I ultimately came back to Chicago. I originally came here because I played here. But this is just blue collar with a little finesse, with dynamite restaurant and a sports town that is crazy about whether their socks, their Sox side or cubside, or their bears. I love the debate, right, like, you got half this city, that's like, why the hell aren't we bringing Justin Fields back and half of them? Like, let's go get Williams. Because of the passion and the depth of that passion in here and being a sports fan, so I love it. I travel all over the place, but this is absolutely my home, Stace.
Speaker 5: I grew up with Ali Quigley and her family, who had great success with Chicago's guy. I would not let you get off this podcast without talking about Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 2: Oh what what her success is gonna be?
Speaker 5: And you know, I've loved watching her the last couple of years because I think she's one of the most talented athletes of any sport around the country. So what is your future feelings for her in the w NBA she'd I hope.
Speaker 4: She would go on my team. I hope she's my teammate because she's a good teammate. Number one. The thing that to me she does and watching her play is you know we talked earlier about that it factor. Well, obviously she has it, but I mean is she has a really nice change of speed on the court, which is it's the difference when you go to the pros as far as basketball is concerned. If you understand like crafty basketball on how to change your speed and walk into cuts and then burst out of cuts and then just create separation with your foot skip, with your foot movement and your foot skills and your footwork, you can do so much. It doesn't matter who you are. She just has it. Like her ability to separate just to shoot the ball is really special. So she's going to be She's just plug in play and be a star at the next level. I think, and I mean she passed the great Pistol Pete.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite players growing up, Pistol Pete Maravitch.
Speaker 4: My gosh, give me a highlight reel of Pete Mariviage.
Speaker 1: The dribbling, the dribbling and the passing, which you also, if I'm not mistaken, we're a outstanding passer as a as a what you wing.
Speaker 4: Right, I was like a point guard one two three. I was a big guard at that time. But now these kids are bigger and she's awesome. She's going to be great. I don't you know. People have asked me, is she the best of all time. I know, I don't go there. You know, I played against too many greats that Sue Bird and Diana Trossi and Lisa Leslie and Cheryl Swoops and Tamika Catchings and I mean the list goes on. I've played against so many incredible players that you can't generationally the players change, right, Like ye, people want to have the debate that my bibbleheads Kobe and Kobe and MJ they're the best of their generations. Yeah, you know, I mean you can do the same thing in football. Who are you going to compare Lawrence Taylor to.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, any number of guys, any number of guys. Hey, so you're an expert at NFL, you're an expert at basketball. And you were the first female at ESP to work as an in studio men's basketball analyst. There's a lot of women doing that right now. Do you still have a love of the game of basketball? Do you ever think, ah, maybe one day I'll go back and analyze that as well, or do you just love football the way it's structured and what you're doing in it.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm obsessed with the NFL. I love it like it's an obsession for me. I love it. I need a break right now. I'm tired. Yeah, Like every time I see you guys right when training camp or whatever, games like to stand and talk shop with Tom Thayer. It doesn't get like now and get little nuggets about things where I learn stuff. And every time I'm covering the league, it's like that. I love hoops. March Madness is coming up. I can't wait to watch it. As a fan, I get invested in it playing it. There's no greater experience than being in the NCA Tournament. It's incredible. But like I love football. I love the league, and it's just so cool when you're at the combine and you see coaches that you've just covered over the season and had great talks. On Sundays. I love football Sunday because everybody's so relaxed. Right by the time you get to Sunday, everybody's like, are they nervous? No, the game plans in, They're just ready to get this show on the road. And those are when I have my best conversations with coaches and they're relaxed and the game plans set and let's go roll. So and then you get invested to in the winning and losing, like I was at the NFC Championship when Tom brought up that loss five years after the Super Bowl, right, it's got wrenching. You never forget it. Like I was in the locker room, I covered the NFC Championship, Lions and Niners, and to see the tiers in those guys' eyes, you get tears in yours. For them, it's to get all the way eighteen game season and to get all the way to that pinnacle, and to not win, it's devastating. So I get invested with them.
Speaker 3: One last thing.
Speaker 1: We'll let you go because the Bears on this day that we're up taping this podcast now, it's the strategic appointment of Karen Murphy to the newly created position of Executive VP of Stadium Development and Chief Operating Officer. Karen's been with the Bears a long time, a quarter of a century in the organization, has a lot of experienced leadership for this what they call an elevated role in this women's history month and a major focus by the Bears. A lot of women in that building in all departments, not to mention on the field and the coaching department and operations and whatnot.
Speaker 3: How does that resonate with you a woman in sports?
Speaker 4: It's incredible. I mean they just added my girl Jen to the staff. I think she's the assistant running back Stitch. Yeah, Jen King, And like, I'm just so proud when I see that. And the more and more I'm around the league and I walk into the combine and I see all these female coaches and staff members, you know, it makes me proud. It's important. And you know, Callie Brown's a friend of mine. She's one of the coaches over there in Cleveland, and she's a hell of a coach. And it's not just the coaches, it's it's the medical staffs. It's now we're getting front office. You know. I've talked to a couple of gms and I'm like, I would love to be in personnel. And they're like, oh, you could do it. You've been doing this thing for so long, Come come do it with us. And I just think there's an open mindedness to it now and there should be, Like we fifty this is my fifteenth year cover in the NFL. Like I'm invested, you know, it's proud. I love the relationships that I have and I do my homework to make sure I represent just like I know all the other women do. We work a little bit harder just to make sure that we are ready and that we do it the right way.
Speaker 3: Well, you certainly do. I think I speak for Tom on this one.
Speaker 1: You are always always well informed and ready to roll. Your questions are targeted and very important questions that you asking these news conferences or in these one on ones. You do a heck of a job. You got a unique way of connecting with people. So congratulate sound a great career. Can't wait to see you more on NFL Network. Stacey appreciates you.
Speaker 4: Thank you you guys rock thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks Stace, all right, Stacy Dalls can't throw her enough compliments. Tom just outstanding, all right. Some news franchise tag deadline day on Tuesday, so Jalen Johnson gets the non exclusive tag so he can still negotiate with teams if they're going to sign them. The Bears have a chance to match it. Otherwise they get two first round picks. Now that's not going to happen. No team's giving up two first round picks, but it gives the Bears some time about four and a half months to continue to work on getting a deal that seemed to be headed in the right direction when we heard from general manager Ryan Poles of the scouting Combine, Tommy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jalen Johnson has played an important role in the defensive backfield success of this team and how the defense played in the second half of the season. And as you mentioned, Ryan Poles gave him a vote of confidence that he hopes something would get done. And I think all the Bears fans wants to see Jalen back in the uniform and get the deal done for him.
Speaker 1: All right now, it's like a nineteen point eight amount of money for one year. Game day snacking calls for good foods. Chunky guacamodi made with has avocados, tomatoes, onions, soilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. It's the perfect snack to watch while the Bears win. Score some today at your local grocery store. Game Day is Guak Day and Busy Heart Seltzer flavors for every vibe Celebrate Responsibly. Molsen COR's Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ryan Bates comes aboard tom In twenty twenty two, he was targeted by Gentlem manager Ryan Poles just months into the job and was given a restricted free agent tender offersheet, the contract he ultimately is playing under right now with Buffalo. The Bears give up their fifth round pick this year to get a guy who's had only seventeen starts in his career, but a utility swing man at guard and center could be competing for that starting center job as well. A big guy with athleticism. What are your impressions.
Speaker 5: Versatility to the interior of the offensive line, And I think it's a really important role that you have to find somebody for Chris Morgan, the offensive line coach, to have become a guy that's reliable on game day activation, whether you're a starter or you're in a backup role, and you can play multiple positions. He's got an understanding of offense up in Buffalo that's been run efficiently. He can play in the most inclimbate up condition. So I think he is going to fill a really important role here, like either as a starter or a multiple position backup.
Speaker 1: When it's time to tackle game day deals. Then go with the grocery who has been a part of Chicago since eighteen ninety nine. Jewel Osco, the official grocery store of the Chicago Bears. A lot's going to happen between now and next Monday time free agency. I do believe the Bears will be active to a point. Obviously they want to be a draft driven ball club, but there are holes that can be filled. You think about the number of safeties, for example, a position that they are interested in are growing by the minute. The guys are not getting re signed, release cap cuts, veterans of all ages, all styles. You may want to head that direction in free agency and settle for other things in the draft because that and you just I mean, there's just a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot out there right now.
Speaker 5: Well, you can't close your eyes with the fact that rookie safeties can start in the NFL.
Speaker 2: And we've been a part of the Bears long enough now.
Speaker 5: That we've seen some great safety safeties coming here and start their rookie year, whether it be Mark Carry or Mike Brown, Eddie Jackson, whomever it may be. So I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. Like you said, though, there's some talented veterans that are going to be looking for work.
Speaker 1: All right, Tom, that's going to wrap us up a great job. As always, we thanks Stacy Dale's. We thank you for listening, of course, and thank you Tom. Please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: We're sponsored by Miller Lite tastes like Miller Time, celebrate responsibly, Midder Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carves per twelve bounces. Have a good day, everybody. I'm Jeff Joniek for Tom Thayer and Stacy Dale's. Thanks for listening, and bear down.
Speaker 4: Risers last mm hmm