Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbo. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State is that? Whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Burbo Boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful New York City, the one and only Dana Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great, Tye, and I know what people are thinking while listening to the show. We just recorded a super long show and chopped it in half. But no, no, let's go through some modern headlines. I saw Deontay Wilder complain that his suit was forty pounds and that really hurt his legs, and that's one of the reasons he lost to Tyson Fury. How would I know that if we were recording this. Ah, you see what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I saw that today. Fellow by the name of Dick Pound was trending on Twitter. Yeah every so often his name does Trent Coronavirus is wreaking havoc and I this is my take. I wish it would go away. Yeah, I thought that's all right, that's all right. That's how we prove it. Hello, welcome in es on tie. He's Dan. This is a solid verbal It's a college football show most of the time. Yeah. You can get in touch with us at soliverbal at gmail dot com. You can also follow us out there on various social media platforms Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, all the usual hotspots. Don't forget to subscribe to the show if you haven't already, and if you consider yourself a superfan, please go on out to the subreddit. It's Soliverble dot reddit dot com. Contribute to that conversation which rages long after the final bell of the show. And I would also encourage people, if you haven't already, to fill out our survey. It's Soliverble dot com slash live. Dan and I are in the early state of putting together our live tour for this coming August. We've got a lot of interesting responses. I don't want to peel the curtain back too far, but uh, Kalamazoo, Michigan doing really well in early polling. Is that true?
Speaker 2: I wonder if the US Open Junior hard courts are still in Kalamazoo. That's my reference point. For Kalamazoo.
Speaker 1: Let's put it this way. If somebody from Kalamazoo could figure out how to put Kalamazoo on the form that gave you no space to put Kalamazoo, you earned it.
Speaker 2: So before we go into our because I did. This should be reflected in the title of the episode. This is the off topic portion of the Q and A, the February Q and A still February. As we record this, there are a couple of news items that we should get to that are on topic.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, So we have run news. Boo boom boom boom boom boom. Let's start here. Georgia has hired away Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochrane.
Speaker 2: Leading a college football show ahead of spring just after signing day with strength and conditioning slash.
Speaker 1: It appears not strength and conditioning news. Well, that's correct, and that's because Scott Cochrane has had an outsized influence on that Alabama program. Now he's been hired by Kirby smart Over at Georgia to an on field role as special teams coach. He can now recruit off campus. He could sprinkle in some of his magic program management pixie dust all over Georgia and the Georgia program, the stuff that we've been hearing about for eons now at Alabama dam But how worrisome is this for Alabama? I saw some headlines, I saw some tweets about wow, is this the first real loss for Nick Saban's that's going to make a mark on the program. Sure, he's had a big impact, as I said at the top, but how do you feel a out what kind of impact this might have on that BAMA program?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't even know if that's necessarily the case, because Alabama's defense under the tutelage of both Nick Saban and Kirby Smart was consistently better than it's been these last few years since Kirby Smart departed for Athens. But yeah, it's a pretty significant loss because, as we know, the strength and conditioning coach is with players, is with a lot of staff, perhaps more often than the head coach actually is. Nick Saban famously, you know, he does his thing from a top Alabama mountain, and he doesn't really concern himself in the way that a lot of coaches don't with the day to day of players. And Scott Cochrane He's one of the few coaches I was reading a piece from Aaron Suttles of The Athletic one of the few coaches that Nick Saban actually let's talk to the media. He's on the jumbo tron during games on third and fourth down to get the crowd pumped up. So he is a super public facing part of a generally pretty private Alabama football program, and a lot has been talked about. Andy Staples also wrote a really good piece about you know when players come in, these five star guys come in and they don't immediately play. You know, you see this with other programs. They transfer, they want playing time, they're used to playing time. Alabama does a really good job of convincing them to stay and learn and develop. And I think a lot of that credit goes to Scott Cochran and the buy in that he's able to get from the myriad of blue chip players that arrive at tuscaloosas so from a day to day program management and just keeping guys focused from a mental standpoint, obviously from a physical standpoint in strength and conditioning. To move on to Georgia, and apparently there were rumblings that he was looking to do something new and that you know, he's long had a really positive friendship with Kirby Smart. I think their wives are friends, So I think there's probably a human element of this. And you know, who wouldn't want to live in Athens, Georgia. It seem like this is a path that he's been looking to take. Lane Kiffen like supposedly allegedly offered him a similar role at Ole miss And the timing is suspect. I don't know what you make of the timing signing day. That was going to be my next question, because what do you make of it? I don't know what to make of it, to be perfectly honest with you. You know, you see the tweets, you see the headlines, and I guess you first start to wonder like, well, what does he know or what does he what makes him motivated to make this move now as opposed to a more normal time to turn over in the coaching world.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't really know what to make of it.
Speaker 2: So on one end, one one possibility, which seems to be more likely is Kirby Smart intentionally did this to kneecap Alabama to a maximum degree because it's off season workout time ahead of spring practice, and this really throws everything into flux. Now, Alabama obviously has assistant strength coaches that can step in and run things until Nick Saban makes a replacement higher and it's an incredibly important hire. On the other hand, it could be looked at and maybe this is looking a little bit too glass half full that do it after signing day, get the momentum going with off season training before leaving, and you know, Scott Cochrane doing it by Nick Saban's terms as a show of loyalty, right, but also to go against that.
Speaker 1: When you're going next.
Speaker 2: When everything came together, he was simply escorted out of the facility, perhaps to prevent a Kirby Smart situation. It's been reported that Kirby Smart took a picture of Alabama's recruiting board on the way out to tell potential now Georgia recruits how low they were on Alabama's board.
Speaker 1: So to prevent subterfuge.
Speaker 2: If that subterfuge subterfuge, I'm probably mispronouncing that, But this it seems like we're making perhaps too big a deal over a strength and conditioning coach making a making a move. But he is you know, he is the standard in the sport. It seems yeah, well more to come on this.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like Kirby Smart and Nick Saban or going to be getting together for you know, tea and crumpets anytime soon. So sure we'll see how this uh pa, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: And Andy Staples wrote about this about how if Scott Cochran has head coaching aspirations, this is the path you know you're you're a Giants fan. They just hired a special teams coordinator, right well, Joe Judge, Yeah, Joe Judge from New England, John Harbaugh a special teams coordinator. So if if he does have head coaching aspirations, making the leap from strength and conditioning to head coach seems a bit too high.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think the tight Ends coach at Georgia has some special teams coordination experience. So this is just, if nothing else, a team with seemingly unlimited funds bolstering its staff in a way that not a lot of teams can.
Speaker 1: Wow, incredible the only other story we have here, and I must, I must come clean. Yeah, we have been doing this show religious since two thousand and eight. Now yeah, correct, correct, that sounds right. Would you say that, on average, I'm better than most at keeping track of college football news during the season, in the off season, et cetera, et cetera. I'd say so, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean this is we're paid handsomely by mattress companies and beer companies and flower companies sometimes strawberry companies. Yeah, to do so so yeah, I'd argue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely missed this story, not even kidding. I'm not even gonna fake it. I did not know about this until I popped open our Google doc, our super secret Google doc. Colorado hired Carl Drell. Yeah. There was a lot of l's and ours in that sentence. They did hire Carl Durel. Is it two thousand and seven all over again? What is this? So?
Speaker 2: Carl Drel has been a largely an NFL assistant. He was at Vanderbilt in twenty fourteen, and there were.
Speaker 1: Lots of there. There was smoke about Troy Calhoun of Air Force, and Sark from now Alabama and Darren Shiverini, the internal candidate from Colorado. There was smoke about Brett Beelama, all sorts of names, and then I don't know if everybody looked at Colorado and said, yeah, I think we're good, and they had to really fall back to a candidate they knew would say yes but for whatever reason, and he may succeed. They looked at Carl Deurell, who has not been a head coach or a coordinator in some time, especially in college, and that Vanderbilt offense was not good. It wasn't good at all.
Speaker 2: They looked at Carl Derella and say, he will take the job, and so we are going to hire him. Who I don't think it had a losing regular season at UCLA, which seems more impressive by the day, but not somebody that immediately wows you with his potential. You think I'm trying to be kind. I'm trying to think, especially in the wake of ed Orgeron winning anaw national championship leading LSU and you know, looking looked at as potentially and also ran that was not good enough for the USC job, and then proving everybody wrong, takes the interm LSU job, gets the permanent job, and takes them to a national championship. Anything is possible, but wow, not not a at LSU. I get a little bit at Colorado if the the national championship level. Carl durell story is consistent nine and three challenging for the South pretty often, right, Yeah, I mean I'm looking at a list of two thousand and six head coaches who have not since succeeded, and it's a long one time.
Speaker 1: I mean, here's the thing. Yeah, how far down on the list was Carl Durell. How far down on the list was he would say? At least seventh? This is something I think about a lot when I'm watching commercials. We can go back to our Eckage sausage example. Yeah, like, how many other names did they have to cross off before they got to Reese Davis? And I love Rees Davis no disrespect, but he is not the person I think of when I'm thinking of a sausage spokesperson. Right, we get race? Can we get? We can get race? Let's let's I guess, let's do rece How far down on the list is Zekridge going? How far down on the list did Colorado go? Seventh? Feels about right, maybe a little high. But Carl Durrell is a name from the past. He did not leave on great terms. At UCLA. He was a very average coach, he did win a sun Ball in ten games one gear, but outside of that, it was not exactly a sparkling regime. I soon remember pretty pretty vividly. UCLA fans were very happy to go in a different directions. So yeah, I can't imagine there are many at Colorado who are excited about this move. I guess it's good you have a name, you can move on, and maybe he's just a stop gap. I'm sure he doesn't see it that way, but nonetheless, this is not an excitable hire by any stretch.
Speaker 2: Here's some other coaches who went six and seven, six and six or seven and six in two thousand and six, when Carl Durrell went seven and six, Larry Coker at Miami, Skip Holtz, East Carolina still working, still working, Dirk Cutter at ASU, I think turned around his career to a certain extent. Ron Prince Kansas State, Buildova at Wazoo, Phil Bennett at SMU, Mike Shula at Alabama six and six, Rocky Long at New Mexico had a really nice act that at San Diego State, Glenn Mason at Minnesota go six and seven. It's a Mark Mangino at Kansas six and six, seems like a different era, yeah, cause it was. It's it does seem like a name that maybe there was another Carl and the phone there was a phone book error. There was another name that was a Kevin or a Kurt Kirk. Maybe they thought they were hiring Kirk Farens. I don't know what I'm rooting for it. I'm a PAC twelve fan. I'd like for the South to be a much deeper division than it looks to be right now, with quality teams. But yeah, out of nowhere, hope it works.
Speaker 1: I don't get it. I shouldn't comment on this because I missed it, and I've done no research on it, but I quite literally missed this seeing it five to ten minutes ago.
Speaker 2: So and you know what, he could hire a killer staff, but also we're recording this in very late February, and that is not necessarily a time to hire a killer staff. No, so he's going to have to get creative. He has a little bit more money than mel Tucker had for his assistant pool. He's making himself a little bit more money than Meltucker because at this stage there are some premiums that need to be paid out.
Speaker 1: Would you have offered to pay Scott Cochrane to be the head coach of Colorado with no experience before going to Carl Derell. No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: But I'm trying to think of who I think I would have. You would have gone Scott Cochrane for why a lot less? Presumably he made six hundred before bonuses at Alabama. I would you pay Scott Cochrane two point one? No, one point three?
Speaker 1: No, offer him, offer him a dirt cheap rate and see if he even just for Yeah, you know, the guy can develop guys in the weight room at a minimum, right.
Speaker 2: No, I mean he's essentially he's connected program for the chunk of a year. Yeah, he's connected. He can hire a staff.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it's a good question. Scott Cochrane or Carl Drel. I think I'd still rather have Carl Drel a man, but wow, okay, right, and let us know Sobratto is still a big school. It's just a hype of job hypothetical. You know what we do on this show. Let's get into our emails. Dan, congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail on the solid verbal. So as often as we can, and especially during the off season. We'd like to pay homage those of you who write in at celiverbalog dot com, to those of you that post on the subreddit, on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram. Yeah, all those hot spots. We have gathered questions. Now, the last show we did a week ago was primarily centered around the great sport of football and college football and just sports in general. Inevitably we get non football questions or questions that are tangentially related to football, and because we had so many last week, we've decided to essentially break the mail bag up into two. We put our hand down the middle. We pushed the non football ones off to the right, the pro football ones off to the left, And today's show is a non football variety. So you say pro football? Yeah, you know what I was. Okay, I'm just making sure don't get cute with me, okay, man. Yeah, So where do we want to start here? Daniel? Did I catch a niner in there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So we're done talking college football basically for this episode. Thank you for listening to the first part of our show. And to hear Ty say, to hire a strength and conditioning coach, I head of an experienced head coach. I would do you for the download?
Speaker 1: I do? Okay, Well, this is a good ease into the episode.
Speaker 2: Matt wants to know what's the best slash most productive way to enjoy the off season, so I don't then feel bad for spending four months at the end of the year just following college boy.
Speaker 1: Howdy, this is a question what are you doing? Ty?
Speaker 2: Don't just talk about the hypothetical listener, Matt, what are you doing even though we still do a lot of college I still do a lot of college football, even though I didn't know about Carl Durrell.
Speaker 1: But I won't I will not be held responsible for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you doing to maximize your mid January to late August?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's good to not have to record three days a week. Yeah, I disagree. I really like talking to you. No, I like talking to you. We talk every day anyway, It's true, but it's it's good to not have that extra Yeah and yeah, true. So that that I think is kind of the table stakes for this discussion. But no, I think what I'm doing mostly is trying to decompress on weekends because during the season, that four month stretch that we have, you know, weekends are almost off limits. It's impossible to go out and do things kind of like a normal person would because we got so much football to watch. So I am really just trying to get the most out of my weekends at the moment. People always ask me, you're reading any good books, or you listening to other podcasts? What are you doing? The answer to all that is no, I'm not ti What are you doing. No, I'm not doing any of that. And richer mind, No, I'm chilling out just for some period of time before I get bored. That's what I'm doing right now. You're watching Cheer on Netflix, is what you're telling me. I did watch Cheer. I recommended Cheer to you, which apparently you really like. Yeah, I haven't finished it yet, So I've gotten caught up in Jack Ryan okay on Prime Video. It reminds me a lot of the old twenty four Days. It's a little bit of twenty four there's actually some twenty four characters in it. So yeah, been watching a little bit of that. I caught up on the Witcher. I don't know if you're into the Witch to watch that. I enjoyed it, Okay.
Speaker 2: What I would say to do is you probably are not in great shape during the season. You're probably not physically in the same place because you're spending a chunk of your free time sitting on a couch watching football, presumably, So figure out a way to, I don't know, try to eat a little bit healthier, a little cleaner. Maybe go for some more runs or bike rides, or join a sports league, a rec league of some kind, if you know you're able to. I think that's probably bare minimum. I would also say, just go on more Wikipedia black holes. Just say, you know what, I don't know much about Belgium. I'm going to just deep dive Belgium. You don't need to read a book. But like I want to learn more about Belgium. I want to learn more about sunken boats. I want to learn more about the different levels of the atmosphere. I want to learn more about Jupiter.
Speaker 1: I would that would be something that at least you could occupy your brain and way is that. I'm not gonna say it's more.
Speaker 2: Productive, but you can sort of drop nuggets at dinner parties a little more often about the history of Brussels.
Speaker 1: I would go on. I would go on that.
Speaker 2: I would watch movies you've always been meaning to watch that you haven't been able to watch. Or maybe if you have a significant other and they have a bunch of movies that they love and you haven't watched, maybe do something like that. I would try to travel a little bit more. Yeah, I would maybe do crossword puzzles if I had more time.
Speaker 1: Do you want to work on a side project that we called nugget drop because I like that. It's actually not I would love to drop nuggets tie. You know, I love Nuggies. That's actually not bad.
Speaker 2: So that's what I would say, is make a list of things that you don't have time to do that you've always been curious about. That's just like, ah, yeah, I don't know a lot about World War One. I just on nineteen seventeen, and I want to learn more.
Speaker 1: Cold fusion is that? Yeah, No, I'm in No, you don't have to go that far. I watched Parasite. That was good. Watch that is it good? I liked it. I mean, obviously just won the Academy Awards. It's got to be decent. It was good, all right. Next question, Joey says, my first wedding anniversary is coming up here in a few months. Congratulations, Joey. Yes, are people still doing the traditional gift thing I e. Paper for the first year for example, or am I okay to maybe branch out and plan a fun weekend getaway. So my first anniversary, we went to Niagara Falls.
Speaker 2: It was cold as hell. Yeah, cold as hell, but it was a lot of fun. We did the touristy thing. I mean, beef on weck. Isn't that what you're supposed to eat there? Beef on wek. I definitely did not eat that.
Speaker 1: No, okay, it's sort of like their own It's like that buffalo style roast beef. I am. I am not at all in tune with local cuisines the way you are. Okay, okay, fun fact, But we went to Niagara Falls. It was cold as hell. It was very tauristy, so we ended up driving around Canada, drove up to Toronto. Check that out. So I I don't know even what the tradition is for the first year, but if you have a chance to branch out and play a fun weekend, I would just say do that, Joey to what.
Speaker 2: I have found to be the case, and everybody's spouses are different. It's more about just showing you remembered, showing your thoughtful If. If it's a matter of finding your spouse's favorite donuts and you write a card that's heartfelt, that's pretty good. That's pretty good. If it's a weekend getaway. You don't need to adhere to anybody else's traditions. Do what you feel will be thoughtful for your spouse and go from there. That's always a winning formula. Tie.
Speaker 1: It's like when college football a couple of years ago decided to put its most important games on New Year's Eve, and then Bill Hancock said, you know, we're about establishing new traditions.
Speaker 2: Joey, you should have worked out perfectly perfect Take care should be two take.
Speaker 1: Your romance cues from Bill Hancock. That's went in doubt, Andy says too. After Tom Furnelli name checked you this week, which three players would you offer his lion I in exchange for him joining the pod? So did I miss a joke here? No?
Speaker 2: I think Tom Fournelli, who does a fantastic job covering the sport, yes, said something about the solid verbal, maybe something about you in your velvety tones, and okay, it seemed positive.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I haven't.
Speaker 2: I have not heard it, but we got this tweet and a couple emails from from a few people, so it seemed like it happened. How would you make Illinois better? I suppose in order to pay back Tom Fornelli, which I guess him joining the solid verbal.
Speaker 1: Him joining the solid verbal as a super We've got a great thing going as is. He doesn't need us. He could be a super sub here if you want it. Yeah, that's true. Or he can knock one of us off and take over whatever. Which three players would we offer his LIONI in exchange for him joining the pod? Yeah? So I think Illinois, Well this is probably cliche, but first and foremost, a beast quarterback, sure, I think is very obvious. And I remember the halcyon days of Juice Williams and to a much lesser degree when we had all that hype around Nate Shieldhouse for Kittner. There's been memorable quarterbacks. I have a memorable quarterbacks. So a beast dual threat quarterback would be now interesting as.
Speaker 2: It can't be somebody. It can't be somebody you love because they're probably going to get pretty beat up, right, So it's somebody you like, but somebody who don't necessarily want to see really crunch under the pressure that was going to be generated by an Millinois offensive line. Okay, somebody who can handle it, who can physically handle it, maybe has the size to handle that sort of abuse.
Speaker 1: So not maliku'sayer. His eligibility is out, I think no, I think he's done. Okay, any names come to mind for you that have the physical size to hold up it. Ian Book's a pretty big guy. Ian Booked, though he's not mobile, He's not the kind of quarterback I'm talking about Midwestern experience. I mean, yeah, but no, that's not what I'm talking about. It's got to be an excitable, duel threat quarterback. I would say Sam Ellinger.
Speaker 2: Sam Ellinger runs the ball a lot, has held up to a lot of physical abuse.
Speaker 1: And I think that would be a nice addition for Illinois. So I think you need the quarterback as a starting point. Sure, Sam Allnger. Okay, I think you also need a star on defense. So you need an Evan Weaver type. Now he's going pro, he's gone, but he's gone. Someone alike an Evan Weaver, maybe a Micah Parsons, someone of that nature. I think Parsons is a great answer, just a beast. And then that leaves one other spot, sideline to sideline. Do we go offense or defense with that final spot.
Speaker 2: I'd probably go offense. Illinois has shown themselves to be more of a running team when they're succeeding. Last year was just sort of catches catch can. I'd give them like Pine Seool or somebody they can run run behind consistently. An offensive lineman that can extend some drives on third and short. Maybe somebody like that Altland Trophy winner.
Speaker 1: Mmm, okay, yeah, I'd like I mean.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't like to see I wouldn't like to watch my team lose Pine Sewel. But yeah, I'd give them some sort of left guard, left tackle of the future.
Speaker 1: I'd want to give him a playmaker. Oh okay, give me give me some sort of playmaker I don't know, like Jamar Chase. Yeah, i'd probably give him Cuba. Yeah, okay, I could go with that. I'd go Cuba because he is in that like Bryce love Mold where Oh I got it? No, no, no, I got it. Take a mile, I got it for shot, Bateman, Give me your shot, Bateman, Bateman, Okay, shot Bateman from Minnesota, because then we've got the Ellinger to Bateman hook up. He's impossible to cover. At least was against Benn State. Yeah, give me, give me him were shock. I think he's gonna be really good. Next question, next topic, let's go to Dylan. What were your wedding registry strategies. Did you focus on upgrades slash big luxury items slash cash m hmm, okay, can you do that for you? Sort of?
Speaker 2: I was for there's like, there are programs where you can have people put money towards your honeymoon.
Speaker 1: M okay.
Speaker 2: And I think that's more of instead of wedding gifts, more than wedding registry. But I think it's interchangeable. So I would say we screwed up a chunk of our registry thinking we're like, Okay, we're going to be married, We're going to have functions involving cheese plates a lot more often. And I can tell you we ended up returning a lot of our registered items.
Speaker 1: WHOA so break hold on? No, I mean I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean wedding register ittums are gifts. And so we returned a number of our wedding gifts because we didn't care. Yeah, there were platters. You have to also remember I live in a small apartment in New York, so space is at a premium. I have a very small kitchen. We didn't register for anything betting wise, I think we got o Well, no, we did. We got a couple of pillows which were premium pillows. We got some new bath towels, so it was useful stuff.
Speaker 1: But we did.
Speaker 2: We went overboard with the entertaining element of our registries and that was a regret that remains a regret. But we got the cash and we could spend it on whatever we wanted at the places we registered.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go. I mean, it wasn't for nought. I believe it was Mom h who imparted some wisdom on registry strategies, and her wisdom was to register for stuff that we wouldn't want to buy on our own, but stuff that we knew we would need. So we played it straight down the fairway for things like bedding and pillows and towel premium versions of stuff you already have. Yeah, you know, a more premium version. I'm not exactly, I'm not I'm not exactly living. Uh, you know the life of luxury here. But your thread count on your sheets is so high? How high is it? How you love a premium lifestyle? You don't need to, uh to be ashamed of it. It's not the I don't I don't have more than one yacht, let's put it that way. Okay, But so we did plenty of that. We've gotten a ton of use out of a number of the items that we that we put on there. We did do the thing with the entertaining. Got a lot of cheese plates and uh dishes and things of that nature. We didn't before we bought the house. Okay, but now that we're in the house and we've got more space and yeah, now now they've actually started to show some of their values. So I think we played it right. But we didn't go overboard in that respect. We got a lot of that kind of kitchenee serving type stuff that we are finding ways to use. We just didn't go over the top and get too much of it that you know, it's collecting dust, all right. Next question, next topic, Oh boy, why do I have a feeling that this is all going to be aimed at me from here on out?
Speaker 2: Do you want me to send you. I need to send you an updated link. I'm going to send you via our connection right now. Continue, Carl says, what percentage of the words on the French Laundry's menu can tie pronounce? So okay, what exactly does this mean? Look on g chat, I just texted you the link of tonight's tasting menu.
Speaker 1: Tonight, I don't know. Tasting menu, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: From the French Laundry, a world renowned restaurant that I've never been to. I have never had dinner at the French Laundry. When you look at that menu, is that intimidating to you? Does it excite you? Is it a little column A column B? Tasting menu means that there is a set You know what a tasting menu is, yes, of course, okay, So a set order of small dishes that will come your way. Starts with oysters and pearls Okay, sabayan of pearl, tapaoka, tapaoka, tapioca tapio with island creek oysters.
Speaker 1: Okay. You know what caviar is, yes, of course. Okay. Uh, that's the nextest, with a dill mayonnaise p tendrils. Okay, I think you're good here. Well, he said, how many of these items could I pronounce?
Speaker 2: Oh, just pronunciation, Okaytasuma.
Speaker 1: Mandarin, supremes, supremes. I'm assuming supremes supremes. Yeah, cherry Bell, radishes, I could pronounce radish, fennel, Yeah, pure, I got I got most of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're killing the game on this one. Oh man, I would love to go to the French laundry with you. I'd love to go to the French laundry with anybody. Oh, you're pretty good.
Speaker 1: What about the the second to last thing before assortment of desserts? Oh, boy, gouger. Yeah, I think that's right. Yeah, see Carl with Andante dry at two Day. Maybe I pronounced that. That's Carl Durrell. It could be it might be Carl Derell. Okay, next question, we did pretty well. Ian. Hypothetically, I need to redo the bathrooms in my house. I like this. I don't know why hypothetically is the qualifier there, but that's a question for another time. He says, are there any features you've come across in residential bathrooms that have made you jealous or even made a mental note that you want to copy that oh, I like this question. Thank you Ian.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have you're our bathroom expert, both in corporate and residential.
Speaker 1: This is true, Cals, this is very true. So I will tell you I will answer a little bit differently here. There aren't a whole lot of features that I've saw and taken note of, but one that I can tell you if I redo my bathroom, I won't beginning. I will be ripping it out. I will not be using it, and we will use that space better in the updated model. The soaking tub.
Speaker 2: Dan, I'm on Japanese soaking tub's Google search page as we speak.
Speaker 1: Get out of my bathroom soaking t Yeah, get out. You don't want a Japanese soaking tub. I don't want any soaking tub. Just give me so A soaking tub is a is a shorter, deeper tub. It's it's a sit in rather than a lounge in tub. Right, Just get get rid of the soaking tub, the lounge tub. Whatever. Oh, no tub, no tub, no tub, wo tub, get rid of it. Okay, Now you need to have a tub somewhere in the bathroom, but just not in the middle. This Japanese soaking tub looks amazing. No waste of space. Looking about four thousand dollars worth waste of space. Find some other way to use it. Well. The soaking tub is smart, it's smaller, It's like a tater top in space. It's a waste of space. You could have it built into your longer shower as well. Waste of space. Use it for something else. I don't know now. One feature I have seen, and I'm told that it's actually not that expensive. If you can do the heated floors in the bathroom, I've had that experience. Yeah, if you could do the lives yeah, yeah, cold Weather City or a place that would require heated tiles, mm hmm. I'm told it's not super expensive. That might be something to sporge on. Right. Have you done a Japanese toilet? No, but I've heard I've heard wonderful things about the Japanese toilet. The Japanese toilets are something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, digital readouts warm, you know, you get your your bum warmer tie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. The day built in.
Speaker 2: Futuristic Japanese toilets would be pretty high on my list. Depending on the budget, of course, that that'd be pretty high on my list. Our friend Jeff Schwartz built a house in Charlotte, and he built his bath through them with a urinal in it. Really because as a taller, larger man, that's a better experience for him for basically the toilet to come to him right at his preferred height without having to bend over to flush kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It's not bad.
Speaker 2: So that's not a bad idea. What about shower nozzle? Would you go that sort of rainforest from the ceiling? I feel I think I'm just maximizing water pressure, that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like I'm too used to like the forty five degree angle that if it came straight down on me, I almost wouldn't know what to do. Okay, all right, good question. Curtis says best or worst cough drop flavors to have when you have a cold.
Speaker 2: I mean, I pound cough drops because my job is now speaking all day, so I have to take care of my instrument. Ty, do you have a cough drop flavor preserence?
Speaker 1: I like the old standard issue. Ricola's not a sponsor, but they have they have many flavors. Yeah, just the standard like lemon herb or lemon honey herb, whatever it's called. Yeah, I do the honey herb, honey herb or the I think it's lemon mint, don't. I don't like the cherry. I don't like the mixberry, the green tea, the cool relief, any of that. No cherry anything. On occasion, I've done honey herb. I've done some of them that have like I guess it's cementhol in them. I don't know packs a punch. It does pack a punch, so I don't do it frequently. But all right, Next question. This is a really good question here. I'm ready, short and saucy on Reddit. Mm hmm. This question has been eating me up inside. It has to do with socks. Are you ready, Dan? Yes? What are the rules for socks and when to use a new pair? For example, is it acceptable to use a pair of socks for twenty minutes to run errands and then reuse them later in the day when you go out to dinner. Is there a set time limit before a pair of socks becomes tainted It must be washed. Say you only go out once for twenty minutes for that errand are you allowed to reuse that pair of the following day? This, I feel, is a question for a generation, and also quite timely, because I think Bombas is running ads. If they're not now, they will be soon, So great, very timely question here, mister Rubinstein, what's say you love our Bombus.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a fast, high and fast, hard and fast rule for sock wearing. I think it depends on your feet. Like if you have a big sweat issue with your feet and that tends to stink up your socks, you shouldn't take chances with borderline sweaty socks. But like as I do, when it gets colder, I'll wear two pairs of socks, and I'll wear sort of a regular thickness, so you're just standard cotton sock whatever Bombas makes a great one on the first layer, and then maybe a wool sock. If I'm wearing thicker shoes for the elements or for the weather, I'll just switch out the initial sock the inner sock, and I'll keep the other one for a few days at a time, and I'll even do the insides, like I'll do smell tests and moisture tests, But no throwing a sock into the dirty clothes every day. That's a lot you don't need to do. That if your socks are not dirty, if you're not working out, if you're just going to work or doing errands on the weekend, and elasticity isn't an issue, Push that sock. Push that sock until you feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: You are essentially deploying a dove cover sock. Yeah, I am, I'm as we speak. Yeah, I've got a marino wool from Bombas sock on the outside and then a standard one on the inside. I too rely on the smell test. I also rely on the moisture test. Yeah, you know, it has to be a comfortable situation. Can't smell, can't wet.
Speaker 2: What about other items of clothing for you though, like a T shirt that you are not doing anything. You know, it's I assume it's cold over there in Eastern PA lately. Sure, and say I mean, I assume for the mysterious day job, especially when it takes you to government sites that are sort of under the radar around the world, you are you're in more corporate wear, correct, So you don't want to be wearing the same thing because then it becomes sort of obvious that tie is wearing the same.
Speaker 1: To have a deep bench and a good rotation.
Speaker 2: I can tell you as a podcaster, as a professional podcaster and sports media weirdo, I can tell you that I will wear pants multiple days in a row. I will not wear T shirts multiple days in a row, but I won't necessarily put them in the hamper if I haven't done anything exercise wise or anything that is. You know, it's not a day that made me sweat or something like that. But it's a smell test thing as well. I'm just not going to overwash and overhamp.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough. If you've got a good new pair of socks, though, there's nothing wrong with being excited about wearing it or finding ways to fit it into your regimen. I'm all all about that. Okay. Yeah, someone wants to know about your ten commandments or however many you might have of cooking slash preparing food.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have hard and fast rules for something like that, So I will say, as a relatively new parent, I try and cook what I buy at the grocery store as soon as possible, and whether it's when the solid baby is sleeping or out doing something.
Speaker 1: And I have food, if.
Speaker 2: It's vegetables, if it's meat, if whatever it is, a lot of it is preparing it as soon as possible, because if you let that sit in the fridge for a few days, is gonna forget about it.
Speaker 1: There's just too many things on your mind. Kelly wants to know how many of these is it? You only get one commandment? Do you have any more? I got plenty more.
Speaker 2: Don't cook food. Don't cook food the way you think you should like. If you if all your cool friends are saying, like, you can only eat steak medium rare, no eat steak however you want to eat steak, but toy around with it. Figure out, you know, try the different ways. You know whether I know you like your reverse searing, right, I dabble with different You've dabbled in reverse searing or cast iron cooking, whatever. Sure, I would say try different methods out for foods, because you never know what you're actually going to prefer. I would also say read up, don't don't assume you're an expertan and watch YouTube videos. I would say put in some time. If food is something that's relatively important to you, familiarize yourself with the food and cooking techniques, and don't just do what your dad did. Or your mom did, or your uncle did when he made blobbaty blah. Really really go for it and see what your preferences are. Learn learn about you, is what I would say.
Speaker 1: Learn about you. Okay, Yeah, any other commandments here, not that I can.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of eating and food commandments, but not necessarily cooking ones. But I will I'll bring this back to the wedding anniversary question, and I will say, if you don't know how to prepare your spouse's favorite meals or one of a meals, a meal that he or she grew up with, that is as a favorite, I would say, make an effort, be it for an anniversary, Valentine's Day, birthday, whatever, Christmas, Hanikah, whatever, go out of your way to learn how to master that dish as a surprise. I think that's a great move as a cooking commandment.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to Kelly here. She wants to know how many of these six movies we've seen? Okay, so just give me a yay or nay. Okay, Godzilla, well.
Speaker 2: There are multiple god Zellos. I saw the twenty fourteen one Brian Cranston. Yeah, Star Wars, Yeah, of course, all of them. No, I haven't seen last year's Which one was that last no Force Awakens?
Speaker 1: This last one was when that came out in Rise of Skywalker.
Speaker 2: Rise of Skywalker. Yeah, I didn't see that one. I really liked Rogue one whenever that came out. Interesting was that's like, that's like a splintered story, right, Yes, it was a it was an off kind of like a not a prequel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an off show. It happened. It happened in between episode six and seven.
Speaker 2: That was that was stealing plans for the death Star because to find the vulnerability, right right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a good one. I liked that one. Tremors. Haven't seen Tremors? What, No, I haven't seen it. What about Bring it On? Maybe I'll watch it this off season? About bringing On? Yeah, of course, come on? Were talking about classic cinema here? Yeah? What about saw No Real? Why would I want to do that to myself? Two hours of torture porn? No toy story? Yeah, obviously I've seen all the toy stories. Kind of monster do you think I am? I don't think I've seen all the Godzilla's, but I've definitely seen the original I know I've seen twenties or thirties. I believe I've seen the original. Yes in a movie class actually, good for you. I've seen every Star Wars, no exceptions. I have seen Tremors. I love bringing on Weirdly, I saw the first three Saw movies, What and Why. I've seen every Toy Story with the exception of whatever. The last one was.
Speaker 2: Last one wasn't that good. I'm a big fan of the franchise. Toy Story for left me sort of Eh, why did.
Speaker 1: You see the first three Saws? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Were you just dating somebody super into that kind of thing. There's a single person. There isn't a single person listening that says to themselves I'll bet ties in a torture porn.
Speaker 1: No, I just I'm I didn't really enjoy him. I just sort of watched them. Yeah, yeah, die, this is the shocker of the episode. I've seen a movie. I don't know, I just saw it.
Speaker 2: You seem like you have such an even keel. Yeah, I'm looking down on people that like these movies a lot, and I'm sorry, this is I can't help myself. I'm just shocked by this.
Speaker 1: Whatever, who are your favorite comedians. Mmmm. This is also from Reddit.
Speaker 2: I don't, I really. I guess I would go out of my way to watch a John Mullaney special.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big John Mullaney fan. Oh love John Mullaney. So I'm on Broadway. Yeah, I mean, I know a lot of people that love him, and I'm amused by him for sure, but I'm not I'm not gonna go out of my way to see him. I enjoyed Dave Chappelle, Yeah, same amounts. Same I haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched Jerry Seinfeld's stand up in a long time, but I know we're both fans of that show.
Speaker 1: I've seen you've seen Seinfeld live. I like Trevor. I've seen his specials on Netflix. It was great. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, Tom Sagora, I like a lot more recent guy that sort of burst onto the scene in terms of a comedian in a big way.
Speaker 1: I haven't Whoh, you know what's really good? Seth Meyer's new stand up is good. I haven't seen that yet. I'll check it out. Yeah, I laughed, all right, So let's do two or three more here. Yeah. Do either of you have stories of running into players or coaches when you're on campus at Penn State or Oregon, and now that Dan lives in New York City, any fun stories about seeing celebrities or athletes out and about this question about running into players and coaches at college is electric? Who did you run into it? In State? Oh? I had classes with Kerry Collins. Did you ever see Kerry Collins? Way before my time, way before that. You're old, not that old. I had classes with Penn State football players frank o'harris not frank O Harris. Still not that old. Okay, why don't you go first.
Speaker 2: I had a class with Luke Ridenauer, basketball player, one of the most fun players. The basketball games are so fun. When I was there, I saw Hellodi Nata a lot enormous like you hear the nickname refrigerator for William Perry. That's as close to a refrigerator I've seen. And there was no fat there was. I saw him all the time.
Speaker 1: I see you.
Speaker 2: I would see football players all the time around campus. It's not a huge, huge school organ I'm trying to think we would always play so the original tie shout out Mike Nagel. I had a radio show with him, and after the show, he and my other roommate would go to the rec center and play basketball, and I am below average at basketball. Those other two guys were a lot worse, and so I would dominate them. We would play twenty one on a half court at the Oregon Rec Center and a number of weeks on the other. For a number of weeks on the other side of the court were two Oregon big men working with a coach on post moves, and we would always like we would hit a three or something like that playing twenty one against each other and like turn to see if they saw.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know what I mean, man, I'm just you know, I'm around. I got eligibility. I know one of them was Ray Schaeffer.
Speaker 2: I forget, I forget who else was the big man on the basketball team now, not a ton I'm trying to think of other crossover. I saw Helloai Nata a lot. I don't know if I had classes with him, but man, that that's when you realize that because I went to a high school where the players look like me, were my size and they were terrible. And then I went to college and I saw Hellodi not Donald was like, hey, thank you for your ability to clog many gaps.
Speaker 1: So I had, but I do have, I do have. I have New York ones as well, but continue. I had a class with former Penn State defensive player, former forty nine er Anthony Adams and big personality, Yeah, big personality, and it was a bigger class at Penn State as a lot of them are. And it was the first day. The teacher was content to end class early, but he said, the only way I'll end class early is somebody asks a question. Well, nobody has any questions. It's first day, first day of class, right, right. So after about three to five minutes, I'd say, of very awkward silence, Anthony Adams from the last row stands up, yells out, Yo, what time is It's a question. Teacher answers the question says, you're dismissed. Anthony Adams is in that class? Had that one. I had a speech calm class with an unnamed Penn State player uh oh ho, very clearly had borrowed his speech from somebody else and wasn't really well versed in the topic that he was discussing. Wasn't very well practiced in the speech either. Was it Matt Millan? It was not Matt Millan. Ah. But let's just say it was a speech on diamonds and it was very odd and very awkward, but still something that some friends and I talk about to this day. You don't want to blow this person up all these years, thirty five years after going to college. No, No, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: I can tell you I've seen random famous people in New York because it's very hard not to everybody sort of crammed in this dumb city. And I can tell you, from a purely superficial point of view, I'd see a lot of these people. Like when I'm out for walks with the solid baby in the morning, when people are just out and getting coffee and not looking like famous, famous people, We're like, oh wait, that's so and so. And I can tell you two people I've seen that are pretty famous that live somewhere within I guess a thirty minute walk of my neighborhood. If I had to guess, I saw Carrie Russell. Okay, you know you know why that's a yawn for me.
Speaker 1: I was yawning. It's been a long day. I've been up since four am. Stupid.
Speaker 2: I saw Carrie Russell and I saw Olivia Wilde okay, and I saw them both in the mornings, either with their family or a kid like coffee hat going somewhere whatever. And I can tell you that even though they probably had not been awake for a long time, they were disheveled. They were, you know, wearing hats and whatever. And you used to seeing them on TV shows with professional makeup and red carpets whatever.
Speaker 1: Both of them.
Speaker 2: Totally disheveled, stunning, Like I felt like I needed to take a test to make sure I was of the same species as each of these people. Just absolutely completely disheveled, probably smelled like we all do, and stunning, stop me in my tracks.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Okay, so those are two people. Not a lot of celebrities here in Allentown. But have you seen any seen some local news guys having about the time? Okay, I'd have to think a little bit more about that one. No one that comes to mind. Final question here from a Raoul. I don't even know if I have an answer to this question. This is very complicated. Yeah, I'll I'll try to read through this as quickly as I can. Thank you for the question. Roll final question. He said, my wife and I had our first child. He's currently nine months older. She's currently nine months old. Uh, not long ago, obviously nine months he said. As my wife is an ND grad, Notre Dame grad. She enjoys college football. I'm a Florida grad who is much more into college football. We live in Chicago. Now that we have a child, getting away for the weekend to attend a Gator game is much harder. I recently had the idea. I love the construction of the sentence. There's so much here. I recently had the idea of incorporating my family life into my college football life. Sounds like he's on the podcast with us m HM. So I ran by my wife, who's never been to a Florida Georgia weekend, the idea of turning the Florida Georgia Weekend into an annual family beach trip in Northeast Florida. The idea was well received. Now, since I have familiarity with the Florida Georgia Weekend, I have full discretion with the planning. My questions are as follows. Which beach in the area should I pick? Should we airb and B a beach cottage or book a hotel? Should we invite her in laws both sets of in laws, my sister, brother in law, their kids. Keep in mind my brother and I are the only Gator fans on either side of the family. And finally, any tips for ensuring this trip is enjoyable enough for the entire family that it becomes an annual event. This is a loaded question, Raoul, It's a lot. I am not going to pretend to know the beaches of northeast Florida well enough to give you kind of a read on which beach you should go to. I would say that if you are gonna invite a crowd, if you decide that's something you want to do, I'd probably go beach cottage, or you've got kind of your own living space as opposed to a hotel, which might end up being a little pricier and might not give you, you know, that family feel that I think you're going for here with this, with this vacation. Have you done this sort of thing before?
Speaker 2: Yes, not necessarily around a college football game. I will say the more the merrier in terms of childcare, if you want to go out and watch a game, if you want to go out and just grab some beers to have somebody in the baby's room or your hotel room whatever. That's pretty good. That you have people around that can keep a watchfuly on, like a baby monitor or something in the room, that's nice.
Speaker 1: I mean you have to.
Speaker 2: Navigate more politics of who wants to do what, and scheduling becomes weird. The hotel thing is also nice because there is somebody that is going to clean your room. And if you are with a bunch of kids and you got a bunch going on with your own and there's toys and bottles and all sorts of stuff, it is nice to have your room professionally cleaned. Might cost a little bit more, You're right, I don't know these beaches at all. No, I will rely on people that follow us on Twitter or Reddit or something like that soliverbal dot Reddit dot com to answer what beach in the area Amelia Island, Jacksonville Beach or Saint Augustine. It's just there are going to be more variables as well, though, the bigger your crowd is in terms of watching something, attending games, whatever. So I like the idea because college football, if nothing else, is we celebrate the community of it, you know, watching the game, going to games, tailgating, a commiserating over group text. That's the that's the real stuff.
Speaker 1: Tie.
Speaker 2: But you're just you're throwing a lot of wrenches in here. You're throwing a lot of wrenches. I would say, proceed with caution. I don't know everybody else in your group in terms of how enthusiastic they are about the sport and how seriously they take it. But I can't overlook the convenience of having in laws around and other people around to help out with childcare.
Speaker 1: That's pretty great, it, you know. So yeah, for sure, I like the idea of this, and I want to thank you Raoul personally for introducing quote. I recently had the idea of introducing my family life into my college football life. End quote. Thank you for introducing that into the world. I will use that also forever more. You have a puppy. You have a puppy. I have a puppy. You know exactly. No I know how this works, but yeah, I will just say that you run a little bit of the risk that Cam Newton ran when he gave his Heisman speech. And I think we diagnosed it as he had good ideas, but he took advice from too many people, which is why it ended up as a beautiful disaster. So don't take too much advice here, don't think too much about it. I would say, start small and focused, get it down pack if you're going to establish any kind of new tradition, bringing this full circle, and then expand once you're comfortable doing so. But don't don't try to do it all at once, because that's a recipe for disaster. I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Master the small group first, master your family whatever first, and get that, get into a rhythm that way, and then expand from there.
Speaker 1: That's good advice. Ty I, thank you, Dan. I think that's a good way to close this out. We appreciate all of our questions. Next week we're going to be back with presumably a college football trick show, but we always do these from time to time. If you've got anything else you'd like to say, We're at Soliverble at gmail dot com, don't forget that live show survey at soliverble dot com slash live. If you want to help us out. You can also follow us on all the social media channels, all the usual hotspots. Don't forget to check out the subreddit at soliverble dot reddit dot com. And oh, if you haven't yet, Please do subscribe, Please do rate and review the show. Every little bit helps. We will be with you all off season. Dan, that's all I got for this part dua of our mail bag show. Dude, Yeah, okay, say for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, ty Hilda Brand. We'll be back in a week. We'll talk to you then in then. How stay solid, peace,