Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Wednesday. There's a lot to talk about. Come on in, stay a while. Gangs all here, including Fritzy. Play the day, poll question, stat of the day. Your involvement always encouraged. Dial us up eight seven to seven three DP show That operator standing by is Tyler email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show. Nearly one hundred thousand of you have signed up for the newsletter. Thank you for all the great things that we are going to bring your way in the coming years, in fact, the next four years. December twenty fourth of twenty twenty seven. That's it, that's the target day.
Speaker 3: Oh, we pinpointed a day.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make us work on Christmas Eve. I think that we should give to this audience a special Christmas gift.
Speaker 4: I'm starting to feel twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, you want to write that down.
Speaker 4: I'm putting it in my calendar.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: My wife goes, when are you retiring? I go Christmas Eve twenty twenty seven. It is a Friday, Yes, it is a full meet Friday. Yeah, you gotta go Christmas Eve. And then we say goodbye.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: Plan accordingly, we go off into that long Christmas vacation in the sky. Yeah, in the sky. This show goes off into that long Christmas vacation in the sky.
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do on like January second, when all the bowl games are going on in the NFL weekend?
Speaker 5: You have no one to talk to about it?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna sit and drink, smoke a cigar, not do anything, not have to answer any of Fritzy's emails.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tim, You're not gonna go to the super.
Speaker 7: Bowl site like a month later, walk around the prevention center looking for credential.
Speaker 2: Nope, Nope, not going to do that. I'm not going to take a victory tour. I mean I'm taking a victory tour. I wouldn't go to the super Bowl and go hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, Commissioner Goodell, would you like to come on right radio?
Speaker 5: All that's right? Oh that's right. You don't have a radio show anymore?
Speaker 3: Do you d just sit at a table at radio row waving to people and they sign your book?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marvin, I'm gonna feel like Carlton from The Fresh Prince what's the fresh Prince is over?
Speaker 8: Hey, weren't you on that show once? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 8: What are you doing these days? I mean, you know, I'm just you know, I'm dancing, I'm working, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I go to golf tournaments, you know, and I get to play in celebrity golf turn Hey he's Julian.
Speaker 8: White from Family Matters. Hey, how are you man? I'm well, oh.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't say that line anymore.
Speaker 5: I say it, say it, didn't I do that. I don't do that anymore.
Speaker 8: Character measure your hands. They pay me to do that move.
Speaker 4: I don't measure my hands anymore.
Speaker 6: It shows over, Get over it.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was a show, all right.
Speaker 2: I went. I went to dinner last time. My wife was suddenly worried about your guy's futures. She's like, well, what are they gonna do? And I go, I don't know. She goes, well, are you gonna help them? I go, honey, I have it's up to them now, like they're grown men. Uh So, she said, well, who makes Who are you most concerned about?
Speaker 5: I said most concerned about?
Speaker 2: I said, I guess Fritzi I would be concerned about because I don't know if you know you're gonna be at home and you're gonna be booking imaginary gas well.
Speaker 8: I like structure and routine. After all these years, it's gonna be wed.
Speaker 2: You're gonna book imaginary guests for an imaginary show.
Speaker 9: Tot.
Speaker 8: Who are you talking to her?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 8: Can you do the ten eleven zoomer phone? Or who are you talking to?
Speaker 5: There's nobody on the other line. Todd staring at the wall. No, no, no, no, it's Rex Ryan. I'm talking to Rex Ryan.
Speaker 8: What about Friday? Who are you talking to?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, whose wife?
Speaker 6: Do you feel the worst for?
Speaker 5: Tons?
Speaker 2: That's fair to that question's absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you my wife's not looking forward to it. She's heard all my stories, all my bits. I think the idea of me retiring, and she's like, no, no, no, no, go find something to do anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was at dinner last night. By the way.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but the more things on the menu make me nervous about the quality of the food. If you go into a restaurant and they've got five things on that menu, I go, yes, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: This isn't cheesecake factory. When you go into a cheesecake factory. I think I've read books that have less pages in it and you're going, oh my god, there's everything here.
Speaker 5: I like it when there's five six items that's it. Do you remember what was on the menu? Everything? Oh last night was and everything it had Italian that had a tuna and had had breakfast.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh my god. Now my brother in law picked it and I was like, oh okay. And he had never been there, but he's like, oh, this is halfway between our houses. And I go in there and I'm like, this is And then they had a special menu to go along with the regular menu, and I just thought, man, I missed those days where there's there's really no choice. It's just this is what we do. There's a couple of burgers, some wings, maybe a French onion soup and a salad, but we don't recommend it, and then that's it and then you're good to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, restaurants, I'm not fond of the ones that are hybrids of two different food groups. Like there's a place near me called Poncho El Malley's. It's Mexican food and Irish food. I'm not kidding, And there's like they have those all over the country where it's like a mix of two different genres of food. Yeah, just pick a direction you want to go do Irish food, great, pick a lane here, Helmut McCoy's it's German Irish.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the program. Already in progress, as you can tell. Our good buddy Chris Simms from Football Night in America will join us.
Speaker 5: Coming up.
Speaker 2: We will replace some of the comments that David Tepper had, the Carolina Panthers owner. I'm still puzzled by some of the things he said at his press conference yesterday. But he's a patient man, so I should be patient with him with his patients.
Speaker 5: We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you.
Speaker 2: Download the app if you haven't done so, and our radio affiliates around the country. This first hour brought to you by Discover. They want everybody to feel special. You get access to twenty four to seven customer service as well as zero dollar fraud liability, which means you're never held responsible for unauthorized purchases. Learn more Discover dot com, slangh credit card limitations like Fritzy to apply stat of the Day brought to you by Penadian America. Of the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. College football rankings came out. Michigan, of course, is up there with Georgia and then Washington, Florida State, Oregon, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama. We'll talk about this coming up a little bit more extensively in the second hour, that we're rooting for chaos. We always root for chaos. We rarely get chaos. By the way, Michigan is playing Iowa for the Big Ten Championship. I always say, you can't say no chance but a small chance. Right, no chance, but there's a small chance. The betting line the first of all the over unders thirty five and a half. Okay, I don't know if i was scored thirty five points total this year, but it's thirty five and a half. Here's Iowa's team total. What's Iowa's over under point total first half against Michigan Big Ten Title game? According to DraftKings.
Speaker 3: Iowa first half scoring Yes, I'll let you go first, Pauli three points, Todd.
Speaker 5: Five and a half, Seaton two and a half, Marvin six and a half, zero point five. What over under Isola half point? It could even give you two and a half over.
Speaker 2: Under second half Iowa against Michigan Big ten Title game.
Speaker 5: Marvin four and a half, Paulie two and a half, Todd five and a half, Seaton six and a half, zero point five game half a point insulting. So if there's in thirty five.
Speaker 2: And a half, I'm guessing Michigan's probably gonna get thirty four thirty three points something like that. But there is you can't say no chance, right, small chance? Iowa against Michigan odds to win the college football playoff? Who do you think is the favorite according to DraftKings this morning?
Speaker 5: Marvin Georgia, Paulie Michigan.
Speaker 2: Michigan is true, that is correct, then it's Georgia, Oregon, Alabama, Texas, Washington, Florida State.
Speaker 5: How about this.
Speaker 2: PAC twelve title game, Las Vegas, Washington, Oregon Friday Night? Who's favored and by how many?
Speaker 8: Todd Oregon three and a half.
Speaker 5: I ain't Seaton O'Connor Oregon two and a half, ain't Marvin Oregon eight and a half, Paulie.
Speaker 3: Oregon six and a half.
Speaker 5: I think it's Oregon nine and a half, nine and a half.
Speaker 4: You think I.
Speaker 5: Think it is now nine and a half. Yes, I think.
Speaker 3: Neutral Site nine and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as of this morning it was nine and a half. Subject to change, but nine and a half.
Speaker 8: It seems like a lot of points.
Speaker 2: Washington beat Oregon last time nine and a half Neutral SEC. Just some numbers to think about going into this weekend. Tonight, the acc SEC challenge continues there, the NBA playoffs, The wonky NBA Playoffs roll on. I'm still not sure what's going on, but the only thing I'm tuning in for is the courts, just to see how they paint the courts. That's basically it. I mean, I'm watching NBA basketball, and I know there's things at stake and winning and you know, you won your bracket or something and point differential and it's still just NBA basketball. But did watch a little bit of it last night, trying to figure out a little bit as we go along.
Speaker 5: I didn't do a deep dive on this.
Speaker 2: It just felt like the NBA was saying, damn it, you're gonna love the NBA early before it gets to Christmas, because Christmas is when we start to watch NBA basketball. This commissioner was like, you're gonna watch We're gonna make sure you watch.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm watching. It's not like I'm on the edge of my.
Speaker 2: Seat going, oh my god, Sacramento advanced your squad. I do love the Kings and they came back to beat the Golden State Warriors. There seton what's poll question, we're going to go at least the first hour here, Well.
Speaker 4: We have they sort of run the gamut here today. Okay, we could say if Alabama beats Georgia, YESEC champions dot dot dot. Oh, okay, we can populate from there, because that would obviously lead to unbelievable chaos.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm I'm really curious about Texas because Texas beat Alabama at Alabama and that's a damn good win. But feels like they're going to be on the outside looking in, and I find that to be. We won't worry about that next year at this time. That's where a lot of people are going to go. Next year at this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, next year at this time Texas needs some help there, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: Next year, Oh, this is going to be pissed when you're thirteenth.
Speaker 2: Team, no complaining. It's like when we expanded to sixty eight teams march madness, I go, do not say we got hosed. We were on the bubble. If you're not one of the sixty eight, then you know your coach should be fired.
Speaker 5: Don't tell me that. So where we get that thirteenth team?
Speaker 10: Like, man, we got hosed? No, probably didn't. Yes, Virginia Tech every March. Come on, we beat Duke on the road. Yeah, but you guys lost the Crappensburg State at home.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, let's go by the way Crappensburg State. I've been told the hoodies are going fast. If you want to get a Crappensburg State hoodie or any of the other gear that we have, you can go to damn pat anything else seaton that you might be thinking about. We're rooting for chaos this weekend. We rarely get it, but we're rooting for.
Speaker 4: It's funny because we're rooting for chaos. Which what exactly would chaos mean?
Speaker 2: I guess that Florida State would drop out, Alabama would get in, would Georgia stay in? What about if Oregon wins? If Ohio State is on the outside and is not even playing but somehow gets in. Is there any other outlier there that you go, they got a shot here. What if Washington wins that game they're in. What if Florida State wins, they're undefeated and they don't have their star quarterback there?
Speaker 5: Now, should you be factoring that in the human element?
Speaker 2: Now, if these are computers, the computer doesn't do that, but the human element is like, I don't know, No, Jordan Trama is here, Can you ignore that it's a made for TV event?
Speaker 5: Yeah, seedon, I don't know.
Speaker 4: We have enough time in the next two hours to get into it. So because the thing that I'm struggling with is I get that there would be like things shifting whatever else. But the very first example of it would be chaos if Alabama gets in. I mean, it's not really like would Georgia or Alabama that I mean that seemed that doesn't exactly seem like chaos. It seems like the last ten years.
Speaker 5: Okay, what would be chaos, Paully?
Speaker 3: If Alabama wins a close game over Georgia where Georgia is right in it to the end and Alabama wins by like a point, and then you throw in if somehow Iowa beats Michigan, if those two things happen on Saturday. You're gonna have like six teams in the mix for four spots, and you're gonna have to come up with some reasons to put them in and take them out. Because Alabama beating Georgia neutral field, you're not gonna put him in. And Georgia, two time defending champs, lose by a point on a neutral field, Your drop them to five, and then Michigan's the favorite. I'm just saying those two games would decide it.
Speaker 2: Okay, But I'm looking at Vegas, and really that's what you should go on. Vegas is saying Michigan is the best team, then Georgia, Oregon, Alabama, Texas, Washington, Florida State.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what how does Vegas define Michigan as the best team? PAULI.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're not necessarily saying Michigan's the best team, as they're saying Michigan has the best chance. Because Michigan has an easy game this weekend in theory against Iowa. Georgia has a Their chance to make the playoffs is harder, a little harder because of this weekend's games. So I'll bet you when this weekend is over, Georgia is the overall favorite.
Speaker 5: If Georgia beats Alabama.
Speaker 3: Correct and Michigan handles business, I bet you Georgia is the Vegas favorite.
Speaker 2: We always root for this or we always think there could be chaos, and there rarely is. But if Louisville beats Florida State, Florida State's just going to drop out. But there's always going to be that well, there's always been that team that.
Speaker 5: Fifth where we go, oh man, who's going to be that team this year?
Speaker 2: Because the committee it goes back to what was it TCU many many years ago, and I thought they deserved to be in the final four and they're like number five and they weren't going to move in. But now you get to the point where it's the point of no return with Florida State, because if Florida State wins, they're in. Yeah, nothing you can do about it, whether they have their star quarterback or not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauling, we.
Speaker 3: Threw out an idea probably years ago. Whoever is the team that gets left out. Let's say, let's say how Texas finishes five and is left out of the playoffs, they get the right to play the National Title game winner and to open the season next year. The team that got screwed against the best team in football opens next season. You have a natural built in storyline and you just leave a hole in the college football schedule.
Speaker 2: Well, I was waiting for Iowa to play LSU and women's basketball oh to open up this season.
Speaker 5: That would have been great. That's marketing right there. They didn't do that. Nobody listens, nobody cares, you know, they we should be running things. Maybe we should should we should.
Speaker 4: Exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 8: In twenty twenty eight. We'll be free You.
Speaker 5: Guys will be free agents in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: If you put all five of us together, we're like one really smart person.
Speaker 2: But you four moving on in twenty twenty eight. Now, will you get picked off by some of these other shows hadn't happened yet, will transfer portal? I'm not holding my breath.
Speaker 5: Can you get somebody to sit in here and then you guys continue the show just under another name, or it could be, you know, like the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson or CBS Evening News with Dan rather the Dan Patrick Show with Ross Tucker.
Speaker 4: And I'm essentially the Ed McMahon of the show because all I do is laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, sir, you are correct, Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: Okay once again, Christmas Eve twenty twenty seven. See yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, let me take it break. Christims will join us on loan from Football Night in America. Your phone calls are welcome. Will set a lone a poll question. Got a lot of things to dive into today. Glad you're part of the program. Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Musta King, What's Good?
Speaker 11: Jollish and Maine Man Michael Smith, esteemed NFL analyst and certified fantasy football legend. Allow me to present to you your new favorite fantasy football podcast, The Dynasty Exchange, hosted by my first round rookie picks, Davis, Dylan and Josh, three guys who most definitely know their stuff. They're the co commissioners of the coolest and most cutthroat dynasty league you'll ever come across the Yacht Club, and now they're the co hosts of the most elite Now make that the definitive dynasty program in the game. It's dedicated to only the most devoted of diehards, the guys like me who can't stay off sleeper in KTC, and trust me, you won't regret making the choice to follow their dynasty advice. Listen to Michael Smith presents the Dynasty Exchange on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: The Hall of Fame semi finalists list is out. Some very familiar names will sort through that coming up a little bit. Whole question is going to be one for the first down received O'Connor.
Speaker 4: While we'll still populating our chaos poll oh as we're calling.
Speaker 5: I know, she goes, wow, chaos. If Alabama beach Georgia, that's chaos.
Speaker 4: This is crazy. I can't believe that this is Alabama might be in chaos.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what's it mean for Texas if Alabama beach Georgia because Texas beat Alabama at Alabama? Does that change anything here? Does Ohio State have a chance to get in? I guess there's there's different scenarios, but some are long shot. Most are long shots. It feels like what if Iowa beats Michigan. All I know is DraftKings has Iowa scoring zero point five points in the first half, zero point five points in the second half. That's the over under. It is a balanced offense. That's for yes.
Speaker 8: Martin Ohio State is out.
Speaker 7: I'm sure their fans are like, look, if we don't be Michigan, we don't deserve anything.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 5: I don't think they feel that way. I don't think they feel that way.
Speaker 2: If you said they somehow got in, they'd somehow look past that loss to Michigan. Let's go to Chris Simms, Pro Football Talk Live co host and of course his podcast Unbuttoned. Former NFL Texas quarterback, you know, speaking to Texas. I was thinking about you today because your dad, of course, great quarterback, borderline Hall of Famer, and you being his son, you were a big recruit. You go to Texas and now you have Arch Manning with his dad and his family lineage, and I'm wondering, now you went your first year and sat and then Major Apple White and you I think split time your sophomore year, if that sounds right. Arch Manning goes there. He just played a little bit. I don't know if quinn Ewers is coming back to Texas, but could you see a scenario where arch Manning transfers from Texas.
Speaker 9: It'll it'll be interesting, it will be And I mean, he certainly got some competition there. It's not gonna it doesn't look like it's just gonna be the red carpet is going to be rolled out for him. Right, So it's say, nothing's gonna be given to you in big time college football. You're gonna have to compete and do that. I learned that, Like you said, I made my first start actually my freshman year in the Bonfire game at Texas A and M.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 9: That was quite the experience to be cool and a part of it. But then yeah, sophomore year split time with major and how to deal with all that, and then junior year became the starter full time. But the one thing I'll say about Archie Manning or arch Manning I should say, is man just watching him the other night, he really looked like his grandfather in a lot of ways. I thought he looked more like Archie man than he did Peyton or Eli the way he ran and everything, even the way he throws the football.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we'll see where it goes there.
Speaker 9: You know, there's I'm blanking on the other kid's name at Texas that took over for yours. He said, he looks like he's got some talent and some big time upside as well.
Speaker 2: But this is different though your freshman year you're not starting. There was no transfer portal, and if you did transfer, he had to sit out of here. Arch Manning could transfer, you know, in the off season and go to Ole Miss or Ohio State or any of these places.
Speaker 9: Now, he shouldn't be afraid to do whatever he's going to do to put himself in the right position.
Speaker 6: You know, That's what I would say.
Speaker 9: It's big business, right how you you know where you are, the support you have playing, getting that experience playing and playing and playing.
Speaker 6: Makes you a better football player.
Speaker 9: And that's what he's going to make his number one priority, you know, which I'm sure is no one goals to get to the NFL.
Speaker 6: That's the most important thing.
Speaker 5: Malik Murphy is the Olik Murphy there it is.
Speaker 9: I know, I was gonna say Milik, and then I was I was afraid to say the last name.
Speaker 6: I wasn't sure if I was right there. I was blanking.
Speaker 5: Where are we at this point in the NFL?
Speaker 9: We're at a point right now in the NFL where I feel like, you know, we've seen the I think we know who the cream of the crop is. I think we know the teams that can legitimately win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many are there that could win the Super Bowl?
Speaker 5: Not go win?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Right, I'd say, you know, I'd say there's eight. Maybe I'd say about eight right now. Right, That's where I kind of look at it.
Speaker 2: Let's run down the teams. Okay, all right, so you got Kansas City.
Speaker 6: Yeah, NFC, Right, all right, so let's go conference.
Speaker 9: So the AFC, I go, Let's go Kansas City, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Miami. I look at those four teams and go, they can win the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Right, Buffalo's not in there.
Speaker 9: I'm not going to put Buffalo in there. It's too much of a one man show, right. Super Bowl's got to be about a team, you know, It's can't be one guy doing everything for the team and then the rest of the team fails in him, and then for some reason everybody blames him.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 9: It's a crazy thing. That's a different topic for a different time. But then in the NFC, I kind of look at yeah, the Eagles, the forty nine ers, Dallas, and I'll throw Detroit in there, even though I do think Detroit's got some cracks in the armor that I'm a little concerned about. But you know, I do think there's enough talent in coaching there that they could write the ship like the ship.
Speaker 6: Excuse me.
Speaker 2: I was watching in season hard Knocks last night with the Miami Dolphins. Yeah, Tyreek Hill, and he's the feature Tyri. If Kevin Hart could play football, he would be Tyreek Kill. Tyreek Hill is fascinating during a game because Yeah, and there's a little bit of Ricky Henderson in him because he talked to himself the whole time.
Speaker 5: Like I'm here, I'm here, I'm here all day.
Speaker 2: I'm fascinated with watching him and that speed, when your field level speed, it is so different than when you're watching on TV or in the stands.
Speaker 5: It's like, Wow, there's there's nobody like him.
Speaker 9: A lot of great a lot of greats talk in the third person, right, That's what I've learned through my time in sports. Uh, And I love that and that's what makes them great. You know, he has fun, he's loose, right, Why because he's the best damn athlete.
Speaker 6: On the football field. So he's like, this is fun. Look at me. Nobody can do what I can.
Speaker 9: And yeah, this is where I fought with the masses a few years back when I was like, Tyreek Kills the best receiver in football. I I don't care if he doesn't run the exact, most precise routes like some of the other receivers in football. He's the greatest weapon, you know, arguably we've ever seen at the wide receiver position.
Speaker 6: And I think his speed, Wait, you would.
Speaker 5: Put him above Randy Moss.
Speaker 9: No, I'd say he's right up there in that discussion there, I do think he's right there with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah he is.
Speaker 9: He is on a Hall of Fame pace, and you know, I think he's the MVP of football right now. Everything they do, it's all dictated because of him and what he brings to that offense.
Speaker 6: That's where he's special.
Speaker 9: You know, he's an incredible person, not an incredible worker. That's the other thing I know about Tyreek Hill. I mean, he gets after it. He expects a lot from himself, and yeah, he's unbelievable football player.
Speaker 2: I love when you hear the dialogue. I mean, really, it's just NFL films, is what hard Knocks is. You know, they're just capturing this audio, but they don't realize how great Max Crosby is of the Raiders because he's in the backfield.
Speaker 5: And that's why I think sacks are overrated. Pressures hurries.
Speaker 2: I think that's really an important stat Max Crosby is just there. He's omnipresent, and you're even like two is he even acknowledging this? Tyreek Hill goes damn, he might be the best player in football, like you're watching this and he never ever stops.
Speaker 6: No, he never stops.
Speaker 9: Right, I think, you know, like his top end, like you know, ultimate, but like talent, I don't think is quite as good as maybe TJ. Watt or Micah Parsons or Nick Bosa or Miles Garrett. Right, I don't gonna quite put him there. I think he's maybe just a notch below for me as far as pure physical gifts. But I think the point to you make, it's the instincts, it's the tenacity, it's the craziness, and it's the fact that you know those other guys I mentioned they can press on the gas pedal one hundred miles per hour, but they need to take a few plays off every now and then. Max Crosby can go ninety seven miles per hour the whole game and never take one playoff. And I think that's what I'm amazed by, really is just is the fact of how he can just you know, Red needle it all game long.
Speaker 6: Phenomenal football player.
Speaker 9: And it does feel like, finally this year people have realized how damn good he is. And You're right, stats are overrated, you know. I'm big into the f the playoff stat. They need to make that.
Speaker 6: In the NFL.
Speaker 9: You know, the guy who ruined the play doesn't get credit for it, you know, and he's a guy that ruins a lot of players for that Raiders defense.
Speaker 2: Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host his podcast called Unbuttoned. Dak Prescott's getting some MVP love, but I would caution the voters, let's look at those stats that he's put up against some really bad teams. I want to see him in big games. I want to see him that and Jalen Hurts is your MVP. I think the front runner right now according to Vegas, But Dak it feels like we want to shoehorn him in there because he's the Cowboy quarterback, and I think he's played well, but I don't know. I mean, let's see what you do against the Eagles. Let let's see what you do at these big games. You know what happened against the Niners. They got rough due. So if you want to win an MV and I still think it's open to win, then you better win some of these big games here and be and performed big in those games.
Speaker 9: I'm totally fair. I think your assessment there that's been the problem. I think a little bit over the last two years is just in some of the biggest moments, Dak Prescott hasn't played his best right And you know, you bring up a point, Yeah, he's shoehorn in there because he's a Dallas Cowboys quarterback. Well he also gets a lot of crap because he's a Dallas Cowboy quarterback too, So I think you got to, you know, take that into account. But he's playing phenomenal football. He is, and I think, you know, more than what I argued early in the year a little bit in his defense where I know it wasn't perfect, but like I did, the you know, I do my unbuttoned podcast on Wednesdays. They call it the what the f Happened? Podcast? Right, because I deep dive into film and I watch it. And I watched that forty nine Ers game back early in the year, and what I would tell a lot of people is if you and you know, me and Todd Fritz and we all sat down and we watched the film together, you'd go, well, damn, really, there wasn't one person open that whole damn game, and the offensive attack couldn't have been more bland and simple, let alone that time of the year, they were the shortest passing team in football. To me, the biggest difference is they've opened the field up a little bit and he is a great down the field thrower and he doesn't blink under pressure or with the pocket collapsing.
Speaker 6: That's when he's at his best. But I think your point that you make is real.
Speaker 9: The final finishing touches is he's got to play good against some of the elite teams in football and shows he can pull off some wins against them, and I think then he becomes a real big time legit MVP contender.
Speaker 2: People seem to be mixed on Justin Field of what the Bears do moving forward. And you know, we've had analysts who have said, hey, I would stay with him, I would bypass Caleb Williams or Drake may maybe trade that first pick that you're gonna get from Carolina. But I think you're gonna get more expensive the decisions more expensive with Justin Field because you're gonna eventually have to pick up that fifth year option. Then you have to start to pay him, and then now you've missed out in this whole rookie contract situation. If you're running the Bears, have you seen enough of Justin Fields? And if you have, are you staying with him or are you moving on? It's it's a really tough decision. It is, because to make the decision right now, Yeah, it's it's you're on the clock with one number one pick.
Speaker 5: You're on the clock right right now.
Speaker 9: And I was one before the year to say, like, you stick with Justin Fields and see what you can work with here, because he's got some elite traits about him that are special, right you know, his running, he's the best running quarterback in football.
Speaker 6: We know that.
Speaker 9: If you put me on the clock and I don't like saying this, Yes, I'd probably move on with Justin from Justin Fields, I would, you know, I don't think they're egregiously wrong if they stick with him, I don't. But the other night, you know, in that game itself was troubling enough that what.
Speaker 5: Are you moving on to Caleb Williams or Drake May What?
Speaker 9: Yeah, one of those two. I'm gonna move the Bears to me. The Bears are a team that I would say watch out for in the future. Right. I don't know if they're gonna keep Matt Ebrafluse or what. But you saw that game on Monday Night. They got a big, overpowering offensive line, they got a good tight end, they got Mooney and Dj Moore at receiver, they got good running backs, they got.
Speaker 5: Some can't they score touchdowns?
Speaker 9: Well, I think a little bit early in the year was it was Fields issues group.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about Monday Night because because.
Speaker 9: Of the throwing, plain and simple. That's it's as all there is to it. How many replays did you see the other night where he was under pressure or whatever and you're seeing this sky camb you and you go, damn, there's somebody open right down the middle.
Speaker 5: Okay, but is that going to change? You want to stay with the guy who's been doing this for three years, I don't you know.
Speaker 9: I would definitely tell you if I stayed with him, I definitely wouldn't pick up the fifth year option. Like, it's okay not to pick up a fifth year option. These are big boys, they're making lots of money. It's okay to say we're gonna evaluate you one more year and see where it goes. Like the Giant to the Daniel Jones. I think it's the proper thing to do there. So if that's what they want to do. But if you made me choose right now, no, I would probably move on to go to one of the two guys you know TV scouting as far as Kayleb Williams or Drake May, I'd probably go on to one of those two guys.
Speaker 5: Yes, one last question here. If CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud was in Carolina and Bryce Young in Houston. Yeah, finished that sentence.
Speaker 9: It would look a lot different. Carolina would be better and Houston wouldn't be as good. Well, that's playing it, So CJ. Stroud, Dan, there's a reason. And I know I've been wrong other years, right, I've been right more than I've been wrong though, and I had CJ. Stroud in Tier one by himself. No, I know that his ability to throw and everybody is seeing it now and move in the pocket, sixth sense type of moves, and the way he played last week. They didn't run the ball, people weren't open, and he just carried the freaking team like a superstar.
Speaker 6: He is right.
Speaker 9: Bryce Young needs a certain formula around him. He needs They need to spread the field, they need weapons. It needs to be more like the Tua kind of version. He needs Alabama. He needs that. That's a little bit, you know, for lack of a better way to say, yes, where CJ. Stroud can run any offense and it doesn't matter, you know now they're better in Houston there in Carolina.
Speaker 6: I understand that.
Speaker 9: Uh, but I do think, you know, you switch teams, things will look a little different.
Speaker 6: Bryce Young, as slick as he is.
Speaker 9: And all that, I like a lot, right, but his arm, it's it's average for the NFL. And then the other thing is, like we talked about during the draft time, as quick as his releases and the decisions are, he loses time on the back end of plays because he can't stand in the pocket and make throws with people bearing down on him about to hit him. He's a lot of ducking and chucking that way because he's got to save himself to where plays where I go ooh.
Speaker 6: If he was CJ.
Speaker 9: Stroud, he would have just stand in there and take a shot, and he hit the twenty yard out route. Bryce Young is not afforded that luxury because when he gets hit, he gets ragdogged, and he's got to protect himself that way. And that's always what was scary to me about him coming out in the in the draft.
Speaker 5: And you were big on Lamar Jackson when nobody else was.
Speaker 6: You've I've had my moment.
Speaker 5: You love Kellen mon though.
Speaker 6: Listen through it.
Speaker 9: I had my homes and Josh Allen and Lamar right and c J. Stroud and of course yes, I had Zach Wilson and I did Matt Corral one year.
Speaker 2: So I've taken some you know, slaps in the face. I would stay with the Mad Corral. That might still happen there.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's gonna happen.
Speaker 9: I don't think it's gonna I think I'm done with that one, and I'm done with Zach Wilson, I.
Speaker 2: Think too good A busy with you always. Thank you Chris always Chris Sims. I always enjoyed talking to him. His podcast is called Unbuttoned. You can see him on Football Night in America. Our Play of the Day is up next right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am. Sip it on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Wapp Oh my god.
Speaker 5: The play of the day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 11: Check this out.
Speaker 1: Herder swings to the right side to month attacks the baseline.
Speaker 3: Jab step now he keeps the dribble alive, gets in the paint, tough fall the way back shot It is good.
Speaker 8: Believe bump somehow.
Speaker 5: Banks at home. One twenty four one twenty three Kings.
Speaker 1: Here's Curry. They'll try together, shot off to win it.
Speaker 8: It's on the way.
Speaker 9: It's front rim short the sack, Bromado CAGs Well advanced the most dramatic passion.
Speaker 1: It's one twenty.
Speaker 8: Four, one twenty three.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, Kings Radio Network. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to you by King Sawaiian Slide into the weekend Slider Sunday, get together with friends and family and football. Make every Sunday Slider Sunday.
Speaker 3: That's Alex Oon was practicing play by play from the head that living room.
Speaker 8: I don't know what's something about the sound of that.
Speaker 5: It didn't sound as dramatic as you would like it to.
Speaker 8: Yeah, not in a mean way. It's it's good play by play. It just sounded like he.
Speaker 5: Was not in a mean way.
Speaker 8: I'm practicing play by play for my living room.
Speaker 2: Maybe because they're trying to manufacture excitement in this in season tournament.
Speaker 5: Here a nine three run for the game.
Speaker 2: Well not everybody else to sound like Kevin Harlan, Thank you, thank you. I always love revisionist history when it comes to the draft, especially with quarterbacks in the NFL. I said that he was. I mean, I've been wrong as many times as I've been right. I remember David Klingler. I thought, Wow, David Klingler is going to be awesome, great athlete. David Carr, Derek Carr's brother. I thought, God, he's going to be great. I still stand by that one. The problem was that offensive line for the Texans was terrible. When when you get sacked an average of sixty plus times in his first three seasons. That probably does some damage to you mentally and physically.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, Marva.
Speaker 7: Dinny win his first start against the Cowboys. I think Sunday night, I was like, come on, everybody, let's go. The future's here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tim Couch number one going to Cleveland. You know, you just have that. The draft is littered with these quarterbacks and I don't know if Rice Young is going to be a bust.
Speaker 5: Do I think he's going to be a franchise quarterback?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: But can he be a quarterback that if you surround him. If I put Bryce Young in Philadelphia, is he good? I'm saying he is because of the supporting cast. But that's what this is now. They'd never be able to do the brotherly shove with him because he's so slight. But it's the supporting cast. Who's your coach? What kind of continuity do you have your offensive coordinator? Like, there's so much the go into this where you look at success and failure can be really really small margin. Did you have anybody no offensive line?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: If I put Rock Purty in New England, he's not doing anything. If I put Mac Jones in San Francisco. He's probably a quality quarterback just because of the surrounding cast. But he's gonna get kicked to the curb be a backup quarterback. Maybe you'll get a chance someplace else, But this is what happens with the NFL Draft.
Speaker 5: They move on quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, do you think that's one of the big reasons people are just going crazy over CJ. Stroud is that, at least from the appearances, he's doing really well with a below average roster. They're not the worst roster, but they're a below average roster.
Speaker 2: They have a better roster, I think than Carolina does. And I do think that CJ. Stroud is a better quarterback than Bryce Young. And if you put CJ. Stroud on Carolina, does he make them that much better? Probably not, but I think they are a better team. But Bryce Young on Houston is not going to be as good as c J.
Speaker 5: Stroud.
Speaker 6: C J.
Speaker 2: Stroud looks confident, He looks confident in the pocket. David Tepper had his press conference yesterday and he said he was a patient man. Here is his first comment talking about his reputation away from football as being a patient man.
Speaker 12: My reputation away from this game is one for extreme patience. You know, there's no reason why that doesn't you know, come here too.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 12: That patience comes with good performance and things that you want to see progress being made on different aspects. And as you know, as I said, you know, I would like to have somebody here for twenty thirty years. I'd like to have somebody that would say eulogy at my funeral on thirty years.
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe it's forty years. I hope a little humor in there.
Speaker 2: And originally they were moving up to get the number two pick in the draft, not number one.
Speaker 12: Originally we were going to go to the number two picked him, and we thought we'd get CJ. Because we thought the Texans were going to pick Price and listen, we preferred Bryce. He was our number one pick. We had a lot of conviction.
Speaker 2: Okay, why are you moving up to not get the guy you want? That doesn't make any sense. If you're moving up to two, then you're moving up to get CJ. Stround, Why are you moving up if you're not getting the guy you want?
Speaker 5: Yeah, pull or.
Speaker 3: It was a really really close debate. They said we're going to trade it. For one or two, because we look at these guys as one in one A. It wasn't you know Bryce Young by far in their minds.
Speaker 2: He also said that he didn't influence the pick of Bryce Young and all.
Speaker 12: Those decisions, you know, whether it was a head coach, whether it's Bryce. I don't really vote on those decisions until the last piece. Okay, so those decisions are made by by the football people.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, hold on, Hey, I'm not involved in any of this until I have the final decision. How about you're involved in it, so then it doesn't come down to all right, what are we doing? And then you make the final decision. Say you made the final decision. Hey, I'm not involved. I let them do their due diligence here until they want handed to you.
Speaker 5: I don't know if Frank Reich wanted Bryce Young. I don't know.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 2: Sounds like David Tepper did, sounds like I guess everybody was involved and they wanted him. Why would you go up to two to get C. J. Stroud if everybody wanted Bryce Young? Doesn't make any sense to me. And you're patient away from football, Okay, that helped you become a billionaire, how about you become patient with your football team.
Speaker 5: How about patients in picking the right coach? How about that.
Speaker 2: These billionaires I don't smart themselves sometimes. Speaking of which, what's up with Mark Cuban our two on the way on this Wednesday