Speaker 1: To on the move going deep speedwas Peace.
Speaker 2: Peace. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's my hands in the playoffs. What is up?
Speaker 1: Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we're taking a look back at the weekend's rookie mini camp, breaking down the brief portion of practice we were allowed to watch. Plus we'll hear from the draft picks and the udfas and I'll give you guys my film notes on the entire class of the twelve undrafted free agents for your Miami Dolphins. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Ye daffi first rookie Mini camp in the books and now it's back to OTAs where the rookies incorporate with their new teammates for the first time. And I am excited about this podcast because I have some notes on the guys, my observation from the viewing period of practice, and some soundbites that kind of affirm some of those thoughts or help you guys get to know those players. It feels a lot like a training camp podcast today, so those of you that love those episodes, and quite frankly, I believe that's where I'm at my very best. That's what you're gonna get here on this edition of the Draft Time podcast. I know I say this all the time, but there is definitely a singular vision for what we look for in players here. We talked about that with Emery hunt right, the vision of speed on offense as a way to maximize and exploit the space that you create. But remember football player first, and the speed is just a nice bonus that goes along with that. And then on defense, all these guys having just insane, insane getoffs off the football, like Chop Robinson being two to one hundreds of a second off the all time Edge ten split record at one five to four, or Mo Kamara being just eight one hundreds of a second off of that mark, both faster than some of the game's best rushers from an explosive first step standpoint, but it goes so much further beyond that. It's the type of people which you'll pick up from these soundbites, and in fact, Patrick Paul was asked, what's the most surprising thing about coming to Miami so far, and he said just how nice everybody is. And he was like, not that that was my expectation. They're going to be rude. But I think sometimes in these environments you can maybe think it's not going to be so rainbows and sunshine, and that just makes it so much more comfortable to fit into the locker room to the cafeteria, to the meeting room to the practice field. It's nice to have like minded, nice people that can help that transition go a little more smoothly. But they're good people, right, studious people, effective communicators, And I have a great Mo Kamara story for y'all. Let's go ahead and start here first with the pick before Mo Kamara and Jalen Wright, who the more I go back and study, the more I see him in person just the one time. Gosh, the vision sure is clear. And this kind of piggybacks off of the six hundred Points podcast I did talking about my hope and expectation this team cannot just average thirty points per game this year but score one hundred more with some of the errors that occurred last year to prevent them getting that mark and threatened for the all time single season scoring record and score thirty five plus points per game. And Kyle Krab's, the great host of the Lockdown Dolphins podcast frequent guest here of Drivetime, tweeted this after jalen Wright got picked by Miami, that he was upset with himself for not recognizing the obvious fit and accordingly mocking jalen Wright to Miami, Man, that happens all the time. It's tough to get through four hundred plus prospects whatever you want to watch and find all the hits and fits. It happened to me this year, even with a guy like right, I didn't even watch most of the running backs that much this year, and I missed a guy right in my face because of that. So jalen Wright to me, man, first of all, football is strictly about space, right, How all of team sports are about space, and it's creating and maximizing space. You know the extra pass in basketball, right, making runs through balls in soccer, play action and vertical routes threatening the roof of the defense and football to create space for the running game. And that's where we'd end on. Because jalen Wright has this inherent feel for space and the timing required to maximize said space. And that is multifold twofold, threefold. First, the Dolphins offensive attack is all married together. None of the plays they run are exclusive from each other. Run and pass, and the perimeter runs that you see this team execute sets up so much of the rest of the offense. Think about those Jets games when Raheem Moster gets on the perimeter, stretches things out, sees the gap, and hits the gap with conviction. The combination of speed and power allows him to run through arm tackles and then it's four to three speed, just chewing up yards with each step. You have to get more vertical, you have to get better angles. And by the time you do that, you lightady, you might have already surrendered an eight yard run to Raheem, or to DeVaan, or to Jalen. And that's why Jalen himself thinks this offense is a great fit for him.
Speaker 3: Just the way that they like to create space for the running backs and you know, space for everybody. You know, they got the receivers to spread everybody out, you know, to make the defenses drop back and coverages and stuff like that, and you know it just makes it better for from the running backs. So I mean just the system and everything we do, I mean, I feel like it's perfect for this.
Speaker 1: And you see it in the way he attacks space in the open field with two converging defenders. He just keeps his foot on the gas and it makes for a tougher target to square up, and it allows him to stay on balance and maintain speed through those arm tackles that wind up deflecting off of him, kind of like you saw with Ricky Williams. But I'll go ahead and make it a more applicable comparison to Raheem Moster, who linear yardage accumulation. Right, that's something Mike McDaniel talks about with Raheem Moster. And we're gonna play some sound here in just one second from right talking about a player who he studied in college. Spoiler, it's Raheem Moster. And the ability to get vertical and to run to space is such a critical element of how they want to teach things for the Dolphins and how you maximize yardage for a running back or anybody with the football in their hands. So I think that he inherently possesses that trait. The way Devon h Cham possessed that trait and the way Raheem Moster possesses that trait. Let's go ahead and hear the SoundBite from Jalen Wright talking about the running back he studied the most in college.
Speaker 3: I mean, Raheem somebody I've studied watching film back in college. I mean he's a guy. I mean I've been knowing them, you know what I'm saying from years from now. So just for I'm saying that, I mean interesting, lot, puts a lot, you know, puts puts a morn feeling on me that you know what I'm saying, Welcome and you know, I'm just raiding to meet those guys and you know, just work with himself.
Speaker 1: And then here is what he likes about Raheem Mostert's game.
Speaker 3: Just the way he's you know what I'm saying. He's fast and physical. Uh, it's great contact balance. You know, somebody a solusive you know what I'm saying. Somebody who's just just really good. I mean in the open space. I mean he gets scary. I mean I was just watching the tape. Uh, watched some tape of him when he was on the sideline. He hopped on the sideline and still scored. So I mean, just stuff like that. You know, it's being a player he is. You know, he's a great player, great athlete. I'm ready to learn from him.
Speaker 1: And then this part is where I knew it was not lip service. That was a third quarter touchdown late in a blowout game against the Carolina Panthers, So you know he's grinding the tape to find that stuff. Additionally, back to the idea of running to space. At mini camp, I saw him go through individuals and then eventually some team work that our social team caught and put on Twitter. But I alluded to his jump cut ability. This is a guy that enters the front side B gap. So in your outside zone, which is the entire premise of this Dolphins offense, right, you press the B gap, which is the gap between the tackle and the guard or the yeah, the tackle and the guard, and ideally the outside zone game threatens the D gap out at the tight end. But this is for example's sake, to tell you how quick his jump cut is. You can press that front side B gap and then you have the A gap next to the center and the guard, the other A gap next to the center and the other guard and then your other B gap next to the other guard and tackle right. It's three gaps away, so he can press that front side B gap, get the defense to overflow and overrun the play, and then, like we saw so many the big runs of the Dolphins the last couple of years, he jumps it back against the grain and comes out of the trash. He goes into it from the one B gap and comes out of it from the other B gap and it doesn't really require any deceleration. And I told the video staff like, I'm so glad you guys found that clip and put it on social because it one it makes me look smart for confirming what I talked about, but two, it shows the fans what I'm talking about and gives you a vision dual element to go along with this. And there's like no deceleration, and all the video guys like, I can't believe how fast he was. I can't believe we captured that. Because of how fast he was, he can gap jump and not decelerate, And I mean, my goodness, I hope you guys understand how great, how valuable of a fit that is not just in the National Football League, but in this offense in particular, it not only creates yards, it actuates everything that makes this offense special. It really solidifies what they're trying to accomplish. Stretch the defense out, create holes, make them defend the entire field. Exploit those holes with a physical downhill runner who, by the way, if you don't make a decision quick right now, you're gonna be looking at as tell lights as he crosses the goal line for a long touchdown running. You can do that both with the wine back run, or you can parlay it into future reps where you pull the ball out of the belly of the back and we play action that b I almost said the word here on a family friendly podcast. Then attack those windows with the most accurate quarterback in the NFL. Oh and, by the way, the best wide receiver duo, and now with Beckham, the best top three receivers in the entire national football Like, this is the basis for how you scored five hundred points, for how you gained seven thousand yards last year. Routing up of course, but it is guys, I'm telling you this player, this vision, this dedication to the running game, and these particular backs, these three top guys Moster A Chan and Jalen Wright. Just watch I'm telling you right now, just watch last one here from right. What does it mean that Devon A Chan was able to come in and be so productive right away? And how do you feel that sets you up for your rookie season? Here is Jalen Right, I mean.
Speaker 3: It tells me that he has a lot of trust in the guys. I mean, it tells me that he's drafting, well, he's drafting somebody. He's doing it for a reason, and I feel like he's I mean, I'm somebody that that he trusted. I'm ready to prove my prove my point in the field. You know, I'm saying to gain that trust, gain the trust not only from the coaches, but my teammates as well.
Speaker 4: So I'm just ready really play.
Speaker 1: And McDaniel and Greer both loved Devon a Chen Right. Mike talks about it all the time about the play that he first showed or was first exposed to a Chan from Greer saying like, you're gonna love this kid based on this rep ray here, and he was right. It's a similar sense with Jalen Right. This was a team that didn't have any high or even mid round draft picks on the roster. You guys know what the deal was. And I've seen complaints out there who are now complaining about using two high picks on running backs. But I digress. That's not what this podcast is about today. It's about telling you why the Jaalen right selection makes this offense even better than it already was. It's because they for years it was you know, Miles Gaskin and Savon Akman, very fine complimentary players, right or Patrick Laird, a guy that couldn't play in the league quite frankly, that's why he's not in the league anymore. But now you go up and you get these guys because because of what I'm talking about right now is exactly what Mike McDaniel envisions with his offense, a team that can run the football and build off that running game so that the pass game up with that as well. I mean it just they finally spend a three on a guy last year and he goes off and averages eight yards per carry. Now you do it again on another guy. What do you think is gonna happen? What you're running around with sche mask blowing stuff up? What did you think was going to happen. That's a fight Club reference right there for you guys. I think what's gonna happen is we're gonna have another ricky running back who takes league by storm. That's it. That's it, guys, make them defend the whole field. Both these guys have exceptional vision to press certain gaps and get the defense into the widen gaps and then have the unique ability to slam back against the grain and basically set up better angles and better blocks for those guys down the field. I what are we at eleven twelve minutes here in the podcast. I'm so fired up for this running back. He is gonna make a big difference as a full year of Devon eight. Chan will do the exact same thing. And by the way, don't forget about Raheem Mostert because he's still here and he's still fantastic too. Let's go ahead and stay here on offense and finish up the first portion of the podcast with offensive tackle Patrick Paul, who was asked about an area of focus for him during this it's Rickey many camp and the whole off season. It's a good thing, he said this, because this is what his game needs. The most. It's hand usage.
Speaker 5: Ah, my hand usage. So that's a big emphasis. And I'm gonna get with, you know, coach Butch, and we're gonna harp on it every single day.
Speaker 1: And that's what the draft guide knocks. We're talking about with him right, He can't he's he catches too much, doesn't punch. He widens the hands and throws the hands out wide to the block, and it generates holding calls, it generates bad technique, it generates bad balance, And both Mike and Chris talked about refining the technique and how good that Patrick Paul is even when the technique's not right, And quite frankly, this is the thing I might be most excited to watch in all of training camp. And that's probably a little bit of my hyperbolic nature that I say that with. But I'm just thinking about watching him in O line D line one v one and seeing how far it's come. How have the hands retrained themselves to stay inside and create better balance and better habits and better punch and timing technique with the feet, especially working with Butch Berry, which was the next question for Patrick Paul. What does what does Butch do that makes him the guy to help you unlock all that potential.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a great old line coach. You can go and check his track record. You know, he really knows what he's doing, and he loves what he does. He has passion with it. And anyone who has passionate what they're doing is.
Speaker 4: Good at it, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's the truth. Man. I actually watched a very coaching clinic from twenty twenty the other day. He had a fifty minute coaching clinic online that I found, and my goodness, this guy can articulate some very dense material in a very understandable way. So I love the fit there and I want to finish up with this rate. Here what he was asked about the approach mentally and physically, what's more important for the rookies they're coming in here. Here's Patrick Paul on just that.
Speaker 5: I'd tell you about sixty mental you know, you definitely have to be in it, and then I'd say I'd give the other forty to the physical. You got to offensive line, especially just run off the ball. You got to be able to attack people constantly. So I'd say the mental is a big part sixty and then forty to the physical.
Speaker 1: And you heard him say it right there right running off the football. All I got to see with the offensive line was stance set come off the football. And you guys saw the photos from the weekend where he's taller than some of the players that are on the team while he's on a knee, Like the ground that he covers with one step is literally insane. It does not look human like. He almost can you jump across the entire street from one sidewalk to the next with one stride, And then then you pair that with how quick he is at that size. I think he's the kind of player that opens up the menu in the running game in terms of what you can get to and I cannot wait to see how he develops and gets it all working like a well oiled machine. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there. Come back on the other side, we'll talk about the other two receivers the Dolphins drafted and the rest of the draft picks and a udf Airport all that. Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Staying on the offensive side of the foosball and the receivers, and you want to talk about impressive as we recap Mini Camp twenty twenty four for your Mimi Dolphins on the Draft Time podcast. I've been going nuts in this podcast about Malik Washington's tape at both Virginia and Northwestern, But listen to this man. Malik was asked, which of the skills that you exhibited in college do you think translates best to the National Football League? Here is the Dolphins wide receiver.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think when you get to this level, everybody's fast, everybody can move and stuff like that. Or take who can be the best pro who can learn the information as quick as possible and utilize it on the field. So I think that'll be to my advantage. I'll try my best to do that. I'll study hard and take that onto the NFL game play.
Speaker 1: What's funny about this to me? Or maybe funny is the wrong word. What's great about this?
Speaker 4: To me?
Speaker 1: The guy that he's working under made himself into a guy that at minimum will be in the Hall of Fame discussion for the rest of his life. Right if he doesn't just get an outright in Wes Welker, you dfa who was kicking field goals and returning kicks with the Chargers and Dolphins to begin his career. I'm talking, of course about mister Welker, and that's a standout. There's a standard that coach Welker institutes here in Miami. Right, you have to know all the positions. You need to understand motions and how coverages can rotate, and that can dictate certain side adjustments to come with that. It's studied position in this offense. I mean, Jalen Right studied Raheem Moster and that was perfect. But if it can get even more perfecterer that word. It's Malik Washington studying under Wes Welker. And I bet you the coach would tell you, Hell, if I have Maliks speed, i might be first ballot Hall of Fame. Let's go back to Maleak Washington on learning from Wes Wilker.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I'm talking to one of the greats, one of the guys that I've watched this film.
Speaker 2: I've watched him.
Speaker 7: Play the game, and that's who I like to, you know, kind of model my game after so taking some of that criticism, taking that you know, catching that ball and getting straight vertical, knowing the tempo and the timing of routes. I think that's really important, especially when you get to this level in the NFL, where everybody's fast, everybody's plays hard, everybody's quick.
Speaker 1: I like what you talked about there. Obviously, the timing and temple routes is the thing I've been harping on the entire since he got drafted. But the idea of catching the ball and getting vertical, that teaching point is a very critical coaching point the Dolphins have here, and I just know Malaku is gonna take to that. Catch the football, get up fields, put the crease between the two defenders, and go ahead and make his moves that way. I follow that up by asking how do you develop that skill set? How do you develop or how can you always tell when someone is is about what they say right that it's not just lip service. You can tell when there are no inconsistencies and when you talk more and more to them. So I asked him, how do you work to develop the understanding of a timing and pacing route with a quarterback as a receiver. Let's go back again to Maleak Washington.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's you know, staying in the room with your quarterbacks standing you know comfortable and having a consistent relationship with OC the quarterbacks and stuff like that. Just knowing where they want you to be what they want, because that's how you make places.
Speaker 1: There's just such detail and nuance in his routes and the way he runs them. You saw it on tape at Virginia. Got a good look at it here during Rookie Mini Caamp. He has a great understanding of how to move and shift his body without losing speed, to create a small target for dbs, and to create false steps that introduce breaks that he's not going to take a dB, like I'm gonna widen you with this step and you're going to think I'm going to then, but I'm gonna rip it back across to the post in front of your face, and you're not gonna know what happened to you. I just know this guy is going to absorb everything that and listen to this list of guys he has to learn from, Mike McDaniel, Frank Smith, Wes Wilker, Tua Tongue by Lowe, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Odell Beckham. He is going to be a sponge for all those guys. What a great landing spot for him and a great get for us. Like that's why I think this guy is like Rookie of the Year material. The only reason I wouldn't put him in that bin is because there's only one football and we have stars all over the place. But like, he's that good. I think he's gonna be that good of a fit as well if Jalen Wright doesn't take it from him, Like Dolphins might sweep the offensive Awards this year. Man, I don't know. We got another white out in the draft. Taj Washington. We started off by asking him which of his skills matches the Dolphins offense the best.
Speaker 4: You know, just here here.
Speaker 6: We like to operate fast, like to play fast, and you know it's part of my game and part of you know who I am. So so like it said, it's a good man's.
Speaker 1: And watching both of these guys during the practice, they're they both were always the front of the line, which you'd love to see. And that speed element is no joke. He was so quick. Taj was at the line of scrimmage and the top of the route. We can't see this until the pads come on, but I feel like, kind of like Malik, he'll be tough to get hands on because of how he's able to kind of contort his body without losing top end speed. I mentioned this with Malik in the way he learns. Taj Washington was asked how he approaches getting into the playbook and drilling down things to memory.
Speaker 6: He had this to say, just keep writing it out, writing it out, looking at it over and over, talking it through, walking it through, just ways to you know, memorizing it that way. He quite confident.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of when Coach Welker talked about Eric Azukama and Brayln Sanders two years ago writing out the entire practice script every night. It sounds like these guys, Malik and Taj are already a step ahead in that regard. Let's go ahead and get to the defensive side of the football here and come back to the first round and chop Robinson, who I always love watching these guys work with Coach Clark on the bag because I feel like that's one of the most tried and true developmental things we have in the program.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: We saw it with Christian from twenty twenty or I did, I should say, from twenty twenty through twenty twenty three. We saw it with Zach Seeler, or again I should say that I saw it on the same timeline. JP off the edge, Chub off the edge. These guys learn how to stack, peak shed as well as any group in the NFL, how they defeat their blocks, and they are getting that from Coach Clark and now obviously Coach Crow and Coach Weaver. Gosh, what a staff they've built here, huh. But just watching him Chop generate power through leverage and the lower half, but also how fast everything occurs on this guy, it shouldn't be a surprise, but I still think it's noteworthy. So I asked Chop about playing for Manny Diaz at Penn State and that defense, who was so complimentary of CHOP's game, and what that defense did to benefit him right away as a pro. Here's the Dolphins first round pick.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I'll say with his defense, you know, he would just aggress it when I ed just just wanted to get vertical to get to the quarterback. So having that, you know, with many da is and coming here at the basic kind of like this, I think they'd be beneficial for me.
Speaker 1: We've talked about that a lot, haven't we about how his skill set matches what Weaver did up front with his ravens, whether off the edge or inside, just the pure speed and really put the pressure on the offensive line to get to their landmarks fast, like right now, you better go, there's some urgency. And speaking of inside or outside, I asked Chop about the different obstacles and how you change your approach when it comes to rushing off the edge versus mugging up in that nosebacker position and going after the center and guards and the a gaps.
Speaker 4: Here is Chop Robinson, Honestly, on the on the edge, you kind of have more time knowing where your interior is right away. That the guards and the centers are shooting their hands so quick, you got to react fast. So I'll say, just a different reaction time and being on the edge and be an interior.
Speaker 1: And to conclude that, I asked him, how does that quick first step that you possess set you up for success as a pass rusher? One more time for Chop.
Speaker 4: Honestly, you know when you get off the ball very quick, you know it's hard for the office alignment to react because we're closing the space and all because the line is so fast, so he had to react quicken thing he normally does, so having that first step is so blessing.
Speaker 1: And he was that fast man, Gosh, he was fast. A couple more practice notes on him. He just looked locked into me, like he wasn't fratonizing with the other players that he was getting coaching on the side, but other than that, he wasn't talking to anybody spending every second with those coaches and man, even on the bag drills, he just looked slippery. And that's how he beat blocks in college, Like he didn't deconstruct them like he if he got into his chest or if he kind of, you know, overwhelm them with size and power, he kind of would get folded back. But with his quickness and elusiveness and shedding those blocks, that was kind of how he beat blocks in college. And we saw that on the bags in one practice session. A couple more guys here to go and they'll do the UDFA airport and get the heck out of here. Let's go to the fifth round in Mohammed Kamara and buddy, this guy comes to his press conference with his tablet and he's looking at film. He's working, you know, there's thirty seconds between the time he gets to his table and the time the reporters find him, and you get the sense that the entire time he spoke, he was kind of itching to get back to his work. So I asked him how it was being a six foot one edge rusher and the fifth percentile. I didn't mention this part to him, but in the fifth percentile of edge height of all time, how does that benefit you? Because it kind of was the knock in terms of your draft grade. But tell me how it benefits you, bo.
Speaker 8: Man, I'm a low to the ground, so I'm always use that I'm quicker too. Some of those guys have a longer, longer length and longer strides and stuff like that. I'm quick and I'll you know, I'll put my hands on you fast.
Speaker 1: So and I think that pairs very well with a certain temperament, like a I don't want to say Napoleon complex because he's six foot one, but like it kind of works that same way. And he told he was so fire up to be out there that actually outside linebackers coach Crow had to tell him to hey, buddy, calm down a little bit. You're going you're doing too much. So he had to calm down and back him down his first walk through. And here's what he said that he did that brought that feedback back to chill out a little bit.
Speaker 8: Buddy, you know, just just getting off. I always got to work on my get off. That's something that I you know, that's always that's all I'm always going.
Speaker 1: To work on finishing up here. With how he speaks about his ability to learn, he was asked, how do you learn best? Do you write it down? Do you listen to it over and over again? Are you a visual learner? Let's go ahead and hear one more time from Mo Kamara All three.
Speaker 8: I even got my tablet out here. I didn't know I was supposed to be well, I knew I was supposed to be meeting I mean, not meeting media. I forgot, but I got my tablet right here. I was about to go work on my tablet. I got my like, I have stuff on my tablet. I have my notebook already right now.
Speaker 4: Notes.
Speaker 8: I like to see a visual so all whatever it is, however I can obtain the information, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Like I said, man a certain type of player. What I saw from him at camp was heavy, heavy hands, like a real thud when he would hit that bag, and it pairs very well obviously with his quickness. One more player here on the defense, the sixth round draft pick of your Miami Dolphins, Patrick McMorris. He always asked a similar question that we heard from earlier from guys earlier, how much of this approach during Ricky Mania camp is mental versus physical? Here's Patrick McMorris.
Speaker 9: I mean, you you know, you played football for majority of years. You know, the physical part you kind of get used to. It's the mental part, of course, that's the hardest thing. And that's that's that's something that's gonna have to separate, you know players. It's just a mental part. And like you said, just kind of going through this whole process rookie minie camp, all those workouts. You know, I've talked to a lot of guys that I've been around that have been the league and you know, have done it. So just kind of talking to them and feeding off them and what they've kind of done, you know, throughout their whole process rookie wise. So just you know, being myself and taking it all in and learning as much as I can while being.
Speaker 1: Consistent, and I thought he moved really well out there. I think there's a very obvious road to the roster for him on special teams, and that's something that's only going to increase, you know, the way he moves quickly with him getting the mental down, because fast players play faster as they get more comfortable with the mental side of the game and the playbook. So really good stuff there. Let's go ahead and take that last break, come back on the other side and talk about the UDF as I went through the tape and watch a couple of these guys and broke their games down, not a couple of them, all of them. Let's do that next year. Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation. I wanted to take a look at the UDF phase for your Miami Dolphins on tape myself because it's been a busy month guys talking about draft picks, trying to get the skinny on all those guys, breaking down Odell Beckham, going back over the twenty twenty three third down reel and finding out where we could not execute and how Odell can help us execute on those particular instances that can extend drives, score more points, and ultimately win one or two more games, which is all you have to do next year if you are a member of the Miami Dolphins. But I wanted to go ahead and take a look at these guys here on tape, and I did that over the last couple of days here and get it started here with just some brief notes. With wide receiver Jakwan Burton from FAU and he's four. He's a four to five guy. You heard Emery Hunt say that's not even close to what he thinks he runs in gameplay, but that's what he ran in his testing or his protay, I should say, but I think the four to three speed that you kind of see on tape is measured more in the forty one and a half inch vertical and eleven to one broad jump. That shows you just how explosive he is. And you heard Emery talk about it. I won't make the comparison myself, but he said that as far as body composition goes, and just the way he's built, it's kind of like Tyreek Hill, where there's muscles on top of muscles and just incredibly vascular and allows him to keep a very low center of gravity. It allows him to bounce off tacklers like their pee wee football players, And at times it kind of looked like that because he was playing teams like Monmouth at FAU. But man, he is compactly built with very strong legs and he just absolutely killed the FCS in the screen game. Now, when I watch his routes, I don't see an NFL separator. So maybe this is the type of guy that can be, you know, a future Braxton Barrios. I'm not saying Braxton can't create separation because he's Braxing is much better at that at this stage of Jawan Burton's career, but I think that that's kind of where I project his NFL career. If there is to be one as a guy that can maybe be a kick returner and a fourth or fifth receiver, you throw some screens to here and there and have certain packages for it in your game plan. So Jawan Burton fun prospect to get a look at. We talked about him earlier during Brick and Mini camp as well. Up next, safety Jordan Colbert from Rhode Island. I found a tape of his from Rhode Island against Stony Brook. These are the depths you have to travel too to find tomatoa the crab monster.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: We watched a lot of Mauana in the Wingfield Household by far the best Disney film, by the way, checks all the boxes, like everything. It's like the nineteen eighty four Dan Marino season of Disney movies. It has the best main character, it has the best side character, it has the best message. There's no you can teach your daughter about how to pursue dreams of who you want to be, not pursuing some damn prints. Moana far and away the best Disney film. Also the best soundtrack too in Conto's Close But I digress. So Jordan Colbert blanding up against Stony Brook. I thought his best attribute he played the post that he was a post safety was route recognition and the ability to get off of his landmark. I saw him make an interception in that game where he wheel back and high point of the football and a very bad throw. But I just think that there's some route recognition skills within his game that could contribute as a potential down the road sub package, like dime safety or something to that effect. Cornerback Storm Duck from Louisville as it stands right now, I think there's some opportunities for this Dolphins roster to provide players like this with special teams roles in the secondary. That's kind of one of the top spots I look at for that role, and that's where I think he can shine as a rookie four four to two speed that shows up on tape, played from cloud positions and reacted from there. The man tape not quite so good, not a good tackler, often out of control, which obviously does not transit to special teams. But that's kind of where you have to find your footing. If this is the crop of players you're among and trying to make, to me one of the best rosters in the national football that you're gonna have to find a way to get on special teams and contribute. That's where these dbs I think have the best chance, because I think our depth at dB in the very very back end of the safety and cornerback room is where there might be some spots available for these guys to crack in. Quarterback, Gavin Harrison from UTIP has a bit of a harder road because he has one of the best quarterbacks in the league as a starter. He has a second year player in the system and a guy that I think is pretty damn good Mike White, and then a guy that's been in his third year now on the system in Scaler Thompson. He had the same Rock Purty elbow injury Gavin Harrison did just a month into his last college season. But my god, the ball jumps off of his hand. And I think if you ask most people on Twitter that don't do this full time, that just think that Justin Herbert's the best quarterback in the league because it throws the ball far. You're gonna love Gavin Harrison because he can do that too, tons of pop and can generate that power from really any platform. I think the biggest adjustment for him will be the anticipatory nature of the NFL and what that requires a lot of times these college guys, especially at this level. You know, utep, it's see it and throw it. That's what Skyler was his whole rookie year, and it drove me nuts on tape. Doesn't play in the NFL. You cannot win that way, and that's what a lot of these quarterbacks like Drake May, for instance, he see it and throw it right now, so good luck. Hopefully he learns. But I know you get all pumped up about the arm strength, but if you can't play the position the right way, you're not going to be good. He is in the right place, hardeston to develop his game. Seriously, my least favorite quarterback trade is to see it and throw it like you have to anticipate at this level. Buddy Boy cornerback Isaiah Johnson from Syracuse. They don't really make him like Johnson anymore. In fact, I think he'll be a safety in the next level. Six foot three, two hundred and six pound corner length, physicality stands out when you watch him. This is the guy that would I would choose as your oh he made the roster because he went and killed people on special teams, not literally figure the guy, come on, come on, guys, grow up. But it's a press up corner or I think a conversion of safety for him. He is very clunky in his change of direction, which is why I don't think he can play corner at this level. You can't do that against Tyreek Kill. Offensive lineman Matt Jones from Ohio State played a game one game at center among twenty four other starts at guard, and I thought his best tape was the one at center. Now, granted I didn't watch all twenty five games, but he's got good size for that position. I'm curious about these big centers. Man six foot five, three hundred and fifteen pounds. He had the movement this system requires. His bad tape was against power, though, so how are you using that weight, whether it's anchoring or generating movement head up? There just wasn't a lot of that. So he can get in space and make the blocks that we need this running game to make. But if you can't deal with power inside against you know, with a smaller quarterback too, that's that's a bit of an issue. And that's where this class starts. With the fins right and like he cannot handle anything power. It needs a lot of development there. I think he needs a full year of NFL development, kind of like Brandon Peeley last year. Like Brandon Peely was not a NFL strong last year. You need a full year to get yourself ready for that tackle. Bedon Matos, that's how you say it. Dominican Republic International Pathway Program. Just to quick a side, It's amazing to me what I think Jordan Mylotta has done for the International Pathway program. Not a lot of football to look at here for this guy. He's massive and moves well, and that's all I've got for you, guys, because there's no tape on him, and there will always that will always give guys a chance in this league. Six foot seven, three hundred and thirteen pounds four nine one seven to seven ten splay. I mean, look at the list of interior offensive line on Dane Brugler's draft guide. You see one seven to seven a few times. That's like two hundred and ninety pound guys, three hundred at most. Not guys that go three fifteen at six foot seven. Nonetheless, rare movement and size combination, and you get a free spot for him on your practice squad. Offensive lineman Andrew Meyer from UTEP Hardison's teammate down there. The thing that stands out the most from watching his tape is scheme versatility. I saw clips of him in wide zone getting with and climbing and attaching the second level. Also saw him execute some pin and poll saw him showcase some good hand foot relationship in pass protection. But he's just two hundred and ninety pounds and much like I said with Jones, I think he needs a year of strength and development in the NFL. I just don't think he's a NFL threshold, but that can always change for players. I thought the same thing was true of Keon Smith a couple of years ago. I think he can play in the league right now if we needed him. To Grayson and Murphy, this is probably my favorite guy of the entire crop. Rate here nine two four relative athletics scorecard to that by a thirty seven inch vertical, a ten to zero five broad jump of four to six three forty, and a six two ten split. My god, they find these guys that are just so explosive at this spot. It's very clear what Anthony Weaver wants uh in pretty much every spot that he has filled out so far. Seven one, one, three cone. These are not edge numbers man like a lot of the traits we talked about with Chop and Murphy has those, and Mo Kamara too, but not just the first round. It's not at the first round level obviously his UDFA, but he moves all over the UCLA front. He mugs up in the A gaps, he twists, he loops on rush games, tons of effort and plays, tons of effort plays, and the ability to cross over and beat offensive lineen across the face, which I think we're gonna see tons of that in the scheme this year. He had one hundred and nine pressures the last two seasons and again, man the get off, it's pretty easy to see what Coach Weaver likes. Now. He does have t Rex arms, and that's gonna hurt you at this level. Defensive tackle Leonard Pain is maybe the next guy in the lists for me from Colorado. Squatty body but weirdly with enormous wingspan, so like he's short but has length, if that makes sense. That's like the ideal build for a defensive lineman. It allows him to play with good had level and leverage, but he is shot out of a cannon when he fires off the football. Same trait played some heavy end there as well for them. Even at his size, he's slippery, has a very nice combination to go with that first that first step quickness that he displays, so I think he has a chance to break into the defensive tackle rotation. Safety Mark Perry from TCU, I'm a big fan of his as well tremendous speed. Again, this is probably my pick for a special teams guy that sticks with the team. He flies down the field and makes really sure tackles in open space and that pairs very well with a six foot two hundred and thirteen pound frame. Also covered a lot. Think about Javon Holland Oregon or Brandon Jones at Texas with some thump in the box as a true strong safety as well. He's a thumper with speed, which to me means special teams. And then tight End Hayden Roucie from Wisconsin exactly what you'd expect from Wisconsin tight end. They used him on either attached alignments, nasty alignments, offset basically close to the tackle no matter what, and he would separate or he would operate and split flow and go knock the edge on his butt or sneak out into the flat into the pattern, lead the way on misdirection with the fly sweep coming across a lot of the same stuff that we do. My issue there is that he kind of runs like you know, Adam Shaheen did. For that matter, I thought his best work was when he was asked to stay in and be a six man in pass protection because there is positively nothing there for me as a route runner. So that's my notes on the udfas taking a quick watch at a few of their games each on tape. I think there's a chance for a couple of these guys, but I would I would not be surprised if nobody out of this group made the opening day roster. We could see some practice squad spots, but I just think it's a tough roster to crack and I think that these guys, they have better players in front of them they're going to have to overcome. So it could be a tricky situation for these guys to find their way under the roster. Butt Hey, NFL tapes, NFL tapes. I'm looking forward to watching these guys all off season and into the preseason to the games when they actually start to count.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: That's my UDFA notes. That's my mini camp recap podcast. Let's go ahead and call it a show right there. And you guys know, my favorite part of this job is hanging out with the guys, and you can do that too. Because Finn's Weekend returns May thirty first through June first, and Coconut Grove join Dolphins players, coaches, alumni, and more for a one of a kind offshore fishing competition and an evening celebrating with food, drinks, and great music. Register your boat or purchase party tickets on finswekend dot com. All proceeds from FENS Weekend will benefit the Baptist Health Foundation. Go ahead and get on that Wednesday schedule release podcast. It'll come out right at eight o'clock. I'm gonna take a look at every matchups. We're actually talking football matchups. I cannot wait for that. I want to tell you how we can attack Drake May and Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, everybody we play this year. We'll als talk about the intricacies of when the games are plotted and how that all came together. A very fun episode on Wednesday. You don't want to miss that. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast. Rate it, review it, Go ahead and give me a follow on social at Weekfield NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins Today, and so much more and last, but not least to Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time. Fin's up, Carolyn and Cameron Daddy He's coming, how