Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello, listeners of in the City.
Speaker 3: This is David Merritt here bringing you another bonus episode from our coverage at the World Economic Forum in Davos. On the sidelines of the conference, I sat down with Tiery Mallaree. Tieri is an economist who's worked as an advisor for major investment banks and governments, and he also has a long history with the World Economic Forum. He founded and headed the Global Risk Network at WEF, and for a number of years in succession he conceded and put in place the program for the annual Davos meeting where we are this week. He's also now an author, known for co writing COVID nineteen, The Great Reset with the founder of the Forum himself, Cloud Schwab, but also some very interesting fiction more recently, including Deaths at Davos, a thriller in a place loosely familiar but not actually the World Economic Forum. And now we have Deaths at Davos two point zero, a dark satire of what's really going on within the World Economic Forum.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the City of London.
Speaker 4: The City in the City of London, Man mind.
Speaker 1: Between and the Financial Heart of the country, the city, the city.
Speaker 4: Welcome to in the city.
Speaker 2: Clear of the dawn, Tierry, Welcome to in the city.
Speaker 4: So good David, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you for spending some time in this year. We're sitting in Davos. The snow is falling outside. This is a place that you know very very well. Indeed, so I want to come up talk about your book, of course, but just dialing it back, just tell us a little bit about your involvement in this place, because I want to understand from your perspective, how has the World Economic Forum evolved from its kind of original core mission to what we have around us today.
Speaker 2: Take us back to the beginning.
Speaker 4: Sure, So I was an employee of the World Going to Make Forum from two thousand to two thousand and seven. I was first in charge of Davos for three or four years, and then I created the Global Risk Network, which is a publication that is issued a week before DeVos measuring global risk as seen from the perspective of Global CEOs members of what are Going to Make Forum. And then I left, but I stayed in touch with class Web and I wrote sort of books with him.
Speaker 3: So Class Writer, in case anybody listening doesn't know Clausschweb is the World Economic Forum, isn't he?
Speaker 4: That's his creature.
Speaker 2: It's his creature, his creation, absolutely hard to imagine it without him.
Speaker 3: Just tell us a little bit about him as a figure and how important he is to this gathering.
Speaker 4: Is absolutely vital to the gathering. I think this is a fifty fifth edition if I'm not mistaken. So he created what I going to make from fifty five years ago. It's very much his creature. He's been at the Helm ever since the organization was founded. Is now it is six He's still in charge, He's on stage. He's still on stage despite having relinquished his rule as executive chairman, but is the chairman of the foundation board, which is the which is a body that dictate what's going to make from is all about. So yes, he's very much a person in charge. That's his baby.
Speaker 2: It's his baby.
Speaker 3: And he still persuades people to travel from all around the world. I mean this discussion about and we were talking a bit about this odia, this debate about how relevant is the World Economic Forum? Why travel to Switzerland and anuary in the prison called is it because of the the ability to actually be in person. That is still necessary. Why does this meeting still have relevance today?
Speaker 4: Because when I joined the Forum, the motto was still very much as a driving force, committed to improving the state of the world.
Speaker 2: That's the message.
Speaker 4: That's a state, right, I don't think it has any validity any longer. Now the water can make Forum in Davos and in other places has become the mother of all platforms. Everybody comes because that's a place where you do business. It's a fantastical efficient platform. If your business, you come because you're going to meet your suppliers, your customers, your regulators, the central bankers, the head of state of the countries in reach' do the business. If you're the head of state, you are meeting your peers, the companies that do business in your country. So everybody has an incentive to attend because it's remarkable efficient as a platform. You meet everybody in a week.
Speaker 3: But that's the incentive is efficiency. It's doing business, it's doing deal. So that's quite different to improving the state of the World's totally different.
Speaker 4: I think improving the state of the world is become you're right.
Speaker 3: In the state of your balance sheet or your bottom line. Should they shift it to that?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's what that's one of the points we develop in the book. You right about in the book. Absolutely it's about improving the pian ling the.
Speaker 2: P and L. But that's real, right, I mean, I think it's very real.
Speaker 4: And again, hats off to Cloud throughout and the organization for having succeeded in in managing these transformations.
Speaker 2: And it's not it's not a cheap thing to come to, is it that us?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think we're sitting in an apartment with the Bloomberg studio set up here, but people are renting out their apartments for huge amounts of money. That the prices for the hotels are astronomical, restaurant bookings are really helped to come back and getting here and being part of this is an investment, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It is an investment and companies come because they generates a good return on the investment. Yeah, everything, as you said, is obscenely expensive, expensive, and yet people come why because they generated a good return.
Speaker 3: And it's not just so all the stuff that happens on stage, you know. So there's the conference center, Klaus Schwab holding Court, World Leaders Business titans conducting conversations. It's all the stuff that happens outside the confent center, isn't It's the parties, It's the drinks parties. I mean, I've just been here. You know, it's Thursday today. All week the chatter is around what things are people getting invited to. Every corporation, every organized it seems to be hosting some sort of party. Has that always been the case? Has it always been about the kind of the networking and the kind of the late case.
Speaker 4: When I was when I was in Toroid of Davers or twenty years ago, things were about one thousand private events on the on the margin of the official event. Today it's very hard to measure this number, but you know, talking to different people this week, the tell needs could be between anything between two three and five thousand, wow, which I believe is real. For example, on Monday, I went to what I think is the most important for me, a private event in Doubles, which is a bit broader's dinner. So everybody who has an interest in Russia, which is my case, tends to participate in this private event. But Deal doesn't pay anymore. It is not a white badge because he's saying that it's not interesting for him to do so, but he has this remarkable dinner. And so every night you have got loose how many hundreds of dinners, not only doubles, in clusters in in Urich.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's that's the that's the HoTT a ticket, right to get an invite to one of these dinners where you will meet and have a sort of insight and conversation that actually is going to serve be better than going and listen to someone talking the conress.
Speaker 4: And every private company present in Douvos has its own dinner, lunch or or whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just to explain if anyone does said, the bad system is this is the this is the sort of the pecking order at Davos.
Speaker 2: Right. The white badge is.
Speaker 3: The much coveted white that's for the one percent zero point one percenters, isn't it. So that's the CEOs, the my boss, he had a wie, and then you have the loadly hacks like me with an orange badge. Basically that's the media.
Speaker 2: So there are these.
Speaker 3: Different because I'm a badge, but you don't feel you need one, right because I can come here. Actually it's peripheral to Actually, you don't need to go into the conference center.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so many hungers on like me.
Speaker 3: Right, so you're at the bills ro out of dinner.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like you were right where you needed to be.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a bit about your book series. So I'm so fascinated by this.
Speaker 3: You worked at the web for years, you have been very much an insider in this institution and its growth, and you've written a book where we've got your second book novel here. First one, Death's at Davos. We now have Deaths at Davos two point zero. Tell us about the story. It's a thriller set at this forum. Tell us about the idea and what happens to the book.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, a word of warning, it's a it's a fictional place because the thriller takes place at the annual gathering organized by a circle.
Speaker 2: And okay, so this is not we're not talking about.
Speaker 4: But it takes place. It's a thrillers to be granted in reality, and because I was part of the WEF, I understand the function because this gathering, so that the backdrop. But again it's not about the Web. So the idea is to explore in a thriller. First of all, what's happening behind the scenes of Dabos, And there is a lot happening. A lot happening is that nobody sees the sex parties, for example, and I describe one of them in the book. A lot of these happens is happening. You know, everything closes in principle at any MPM NPM and then a huge amount of happens, more happens, So you want to go behind the scene to get a sense of what's happened. And also that's my thick thriller. So I eve an appetite thrillers. And I think that when you write fiction you are bound by nothing except the power of your own imagination. So you know, instead of writing an essay of what the global gathering is all about and what's happening, I think thriller opens many, many doors that you wouldn't be able to explore otherwise. And this is a spy thriller because there is such a usefu concentration of power in Davos, financial power, political power, economic power, media power. Let's think about how enticing this may be for intelligence services. And this is what this book explores through the lens of what's happening between the US and Russia at the moment. So the idea was really to figure out what Trump is going to do to intelligence services in the US and how this might affect the geopotical order in the months to come, right, And I don't want to say more than that, right and doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is perfect as a setting for a story like this, isn't it.
Speaker 3: And of course if you're walking around the town, you can see we're in the Congress Center yesterday with the Ukrainian presidents and Lenski John Mcthread and Chief did an interview with him. There are snipers on the roofs, there are helicopters overhead, the security is palpable. That sort of sense of tension is there because of the people that are walking around. So it is not a huge stretch of imagination to go from that to think what's going on.
Speaker 4: But you know, you couldn't write an essay or an article in the journal about it, because by virtual intelligence is about what you don't know. If you know about it, it's not intelligence anymore. So you can only explore this via the novel. Yes, it's thriller, and this is what I'm trying to do in this book.
Speaker 2: And stress completely factionalize everyone out there.
Speaker 4: Well in fiction, but grounded in reality.
Speaker 3: In reality, in reality, because hey, I guess the serious side is is there are serious implications for the conversations that are happening here that affects the one percent of people. There are big problems happening in the world, there are conflicts happening in the world, and you have the power brokers of the planet convening here in this place. So this idea that there's this kind of underbelly of activity here is quite compelling.
Speaker 4: Very much so. And again, you know, so much is happening in this underbelly. Yeah, there is what everybody sees, and you report wonderfully about this, and then there is what's happening in the underbelly, which is probably even more significant because selection, as we can see this week, is going to change everything in the US and in the rest of the world.
Speaker 3: And it's been certainly this week. It's felt to me like it's the conversations that aren't happening on the stage, the conversations that no one really is willing to have in public because everyone has been watching actually what's been happening in Washington this week, of course, so that he has really heightened this sense of the action happening slightly off stage here and everyone watching and waiting to see what the new present's going to do. We all know that he's doing a lot, and it's going to affect the businesses, the economies, the countries that are represented here this week, but it's all slightly out of their control, which feels a little bit unusual for the power brokers who are here as well.
Speaker 2: You know, they don't like it particularly.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely, and you said before we started this interview that there was a sentiment that Europe is very fearful about the future. And this is what his book explodes in particular, because there's so many reasons to assert that, you know, geopolitically, economically, financially, Europe is going to be increasingly vulnerable in the years to come. And you saw it by interviewing. I mean, when it's viewing the European leaders, everybody is guarded. Everybody is incredibly careful about what they're saying.
Speaker 2: They don't want to get on the wrong side.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, not because it's sure in trouble, but.
Speaker 3: Also you know, the other thing I've you know, we've heard this this week as well, is they fell Europe's being left behind, the American economy, the American companies. They are galloping away over the horizon. There doesn't seem to be any solutions to the problems that the structural problems that you have got.
Speaker 4: And it feels even more personally, there might be an upside when Europe is is stuck with its back against the wall. Maybe at the moment when yeah, absolutely, policies will be put into place and europeut investment into defense and the you.
Speaker 2: Know, GDP part of that's going to be the hope, right.
Speaker 4: Defense spending with increase and because it would be forced to do that, and.
Speaker 2: Then maybe they will be improving the said of the world. Is that going to be the way?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, as we saw this year, things changed incredibly fast, incredibly Everything that's happened this week was unimaginable last Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it really was, right, it was. I mean, I think there was there was definitely a sense of foreboding about political shifts last year. But you're right, I feel like the conversation last year had none of the angles that we're that we're that we're that are at the forefront this year.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and here we are and here we are.
Speaker 3: So what's next, Tierry? Are you are we gonna have a three point zero?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the whole fantastic opportunity right the next one.
Speaker 2: So next year there will be more deaths.
Speaker 4: That that was absolutely, of course.
Speaker 2: I look forward to I look forward to reading that.
Speaker 3: Serian maller I thank you so much for telling us about your book and and with your history with this forum, and maybe we could come back next.
Speaker 2: Year, And thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to this bonus episode of In the City from Bloomberger. It was hosted by me David Merritt. It was produced by Somersadi and Moses and sound design is by Blake Maples and Brendan Francis Newnham is our executive producer. Special thanks to Tierry Mallarey. Please do subscribe, rate, and review wherever you listen to the podcast.