Speaker 1: The Samsung Galaxy S nine. Reviews are in Amrich, jamiro and this is Rich on Tech Daily. Well, the embargo is lifted and tech journalists around the world are publishing their reviews of the Samsung Galaxy S nine. Now. I've had my review unit for about a week or so, and I'll tell you it's a solid Android device, if not the best Android device we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: With the exception of the Google Pixel two, I still.
Speaker 1: Think overall that's going to be a better device, but not the right device for most people. This is the device that I think most people are going to purchase and be very happy with. I still think the Google Pixel two, though, takes better pictures, although the camera does launch faster on the S nine. Otherwise, you get a lot more with Samsung, which is why I recommend it to more people. You get a much easier to hold form factor, a better looking screen, wireless charging, a memory card slot. There's just a lot more you can do with this phone out of the box. You just might not have the latest software updates like you get on the Pixel. So now you've heard what I have to say. What are other reviewers saying? Well, the verge is saying that in their experience, the S nine takes great pictures in low light, but they aren't necessarily better than what the Google Pixel two or even the iPhone ten can capture most of the time.
Speaker 2: They also say that.
Speaker 1: The images have a specific Samsung look to them, which I agree. It's kind of warmer, very saturated, and imperfections like kind of details are smoothed out, which I've noticed a lot on the Samsung n Gadget says the S nine is not a major improvement over last generation, while Gizmoto says the S nine has way better performance, battery life, and low light photos, but the AR emojis are not what they're cracked up to be. I don't think anyone's buying this phone for those AR emojis, but they are kind of fun to play with. USA Today says pay attention to the price because it's not the same everywhere. There's a big disparity between the price on these phones and basically what I've seen. It seems like the best deal is direct from Samsung itself if you have a trade in. But they can say the S nine ranges between seven hundred and twenty dollars and eight hundred dollars, and the S nine plus ranges between eight hundred and forty dollars and nine hundred and thirty dollars. So with this device, if you are purchasing it, it probably does you good to compare your carrier to Best Buy, to some other stores, and also to Samsung Direct before you purchase, because it's not like the iPhone where it's pretty much the same price everywhere. Android Police calls the S nine boring, but they say that's okay. They also note that the S nine seems fragile, which I would agree with. It's also really thin on the side, so it is kind of tough to hold, and they say that the front facing camera is pretty meh, which I agree with.
Speaker 2: I think the front facing camera Samsung.
Speaker 1: Made a big deal out of how they improved it with the S eight, seems like we have pretty much the same camera here on the S nine with the front facing and I don't really like it. I don't think it looks very clear, I don't think it focuses very well, and you definitely don't get a lot of detail in your face. I think what some people may like, what I love about it is the wide angle you get When you take a selfie on the iPhone, it's a very close up selfie, whereas with the Samsung and other Androids of the world, you can fit many more people into your selfie without holding your hand out. So far, that's why we see a lot more people with iPhones using selfie sticks because they want to get that wider angle. Wall Street Journal says, once again, Samsung sets the bar for a smartphone design, but once again it's software can't keep up. So in my experience, the software on the S nine and the essay, it's gotten a lot better. I mean, I still see some lags here and there, but I think that overall, I don't think the average person's really going to say, oh my gosh, this software is holding me back. I think a lot of the reviewers when they look at these things, they're comparing them against the Pixel, which has Google's pure software. And again, it's great to have Google's pure software.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of limited in what it does.
Speaker 1: You need to add almost every feature in manually, which the average person buying a phone doesn't really want to do. So I kind of disagree with that the software can't keep up. I think that the software is going to be just fine for most people on the S nine. One thing everyone agrees on the fingerprint reader on the S nine is in the right place.
Speaker 2: It's easy to get to, it's easy to reach with your finger.
Speaker 1: It's now underneath the camera lens instead of next to it, and that.
Speaker 2: Is a huge, huge, huge, huge.
Speaker 1: Improvement on the S nine. And everyone agrees that the camera is improved. But is it the best, best best out there?
Speaker 2: No. If I had to say, I'd probably say the.
Speaker 1: Best three cameras out there are the Pixel, the iPhone ten, and the S nine.
Speaker 2: But they all have their strengths and weaknesses. So there you have it.
Speaker 1: If you want to see some pictures that I took with the S nine compared against the Pixel and also the iPhone, go to my website.
Speaker 2: It's rich on tech dot T. Thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 1: The best thing you can do for me is to rate and review this podcast in the Apple Podcast Step.
Speaker 2: That way more people discover it. I'm Rich damiro Rich on tech dot TV. Talk to you real soon.