Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: So I asked Quest Love Supreme guests about their first musical memory, because I feel like it's a great starting point. You know, everyone has a come to Jesus moment when it comes to when they discovered music, or how music liberated them or what brought them into music, And oftentimes I'll say that music plays an important role of helping you remember what your life was. You know, I remember my first car accident because I knew the Lanis Marset song that was playing as we crashed. I remember like the first heartbreak I had with a girl, and Anita Baker's Sweet Love comes on like sometimes. You know, Chappelle often jokes we turned the car radio volume down because no one wants to get their ass beat to a soundtrack. But you know, oftentimes music helps us remember what life is. And so that's why I ask them that. I believe the first episode that the public heard was the Maya Rudolph episode. Of course, our very first, and that was I believe September of twenty sixteen, and I asked Maya about it, and you know, it wasn't like the staple of QLs episodes until like twenty nineteen. That's when I realized that's a good deal breaker. Oftentimes you got to gain the trust of the artist that comes on the show, and I kind of want them to know in the first fifteen minutes what type of show this is. And oftentimes, especially with creatives, they often do interviews on the defensive.
Speaker 2: You know, we called that.
Speaker 1: Gotcha journalism, like you're asked an awkward question that you don't want to answer and you know, kind of puts them in a pickle. So sometimes it surprises people. I think the Steve Stout episode was hilarious because, you know, I know that Steve Stout walked into this interview knowing that we were going to ask him about the infamous NAS Hate Me Now video controversy between him NAS and Diddy, and we really didn't go there. Like he was genuinely shocked that we wanted to know about his life, Like he stopped the interview. I was like, wait a minute, this is what you guys want to know about, Like he was shocked that if it were any other outlet, he knew that they were more or less there for the juicy gossip stuff, and you know, for anybody in a prominent position in music. I want to show the path that led to that, so that the listener you might get inspiration from that, like, oh, okay, well I went to high school and I try to start my band and da da da da. So if you hear the people that you admire going through a process, then that might spark an idea and you to do the same. And so I will say that when John Oates of Daryl Hall and John Oates Hall of Notates of course mentioned my dad, that was kind of cool. He said that, you know, growing up in Philadelphia and the dou wop scene, my father was definitely a pioneer, and that meant a lot to me to hear. So I guess I should share with you guys my first musical memory and rather apropos now that the slide doc is done. But my first musical memory is also my first memory in life. And I will say that I was two years old. This is nineteen seventy three. I'm in my West Philadelphia house getting my hair washed, and you know, I'm two years old, so I don't know the rules that once you have their eyes closed when getting their hair washed. My sister's hand accidentally hits the bath detergent or the cleanser ajax, and it sort of hits the marble tub hard, and you know, it's like a cloud of smoke.
Speaker 2: It gets in my.
Speaker 1: Eye and I'm just burning, stinging, sting and sting and crying, having a fit, you know. And all I remember was I ran from the bathroom on the second floor to the first floor, just running. My dad grabs me, and all I remember was that they pinned me. It was like a wrestler, like I was pinned to the ground. My aunt Karen and my sister Dawn were pinning my shoulders. My mom pinned my ankles so that couldn't run, and my dad was trying to like you gotta think of it like a what's the movie, Oh, Clockwork Orange, Like the way they forced the eyelids open to stay open. My dad has a gallon of water and he's trying to flush my face and all this is happening while the second song on sly is very depressing.
Speaker 2: There's a riot going on.
Speaker 1: Album as playing called just Like a Baby, And if you know the song just Like a Baby, the ominous baseline, very spooky sounding song, that's my first memory in life, and that kind of made me obsessed with Sly and probably made me highly eligible to direct this documentary because of my relationship and obsession with the guy who created that song. Weird enough, I didn't hear that song again until like eight years later, and when I was like ten or eleven, I heard that baseline and instantly ran to the record player, and all those memories came triggering back, like you know, the scene and kill Bill whenever, like Quincy Jones's Iron Side Please. That's what it felt like. It was like triggering, like, oh my god, I remember that feeling and me being pinned to the floor and them trying to wash my eye out. So that's my first musical memory. So what was your first cognizant memory of music? Yeah, just of the environment you grew up in. Like, you don't remember that Soul Train episode in what you were crying through your mom's interview segment.
Speaker 3: Mmm, I don't remember it, but I remember that all that that era for me was, I mean, we were on the road with my parents most of the time until I started school, So I mean when we were little little sometimes they go out on the road and they take us with them. But pretty much, especially when I was a baby. I think my mom went out on the road for a minute and then she called my dad. She was like, you have to come with me.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't be without the baby and without you guys. And so we were on the road a lot. And I remember being on the road with my parents, like I remember somebody lost a tooth in like some town with a casino and we got like a chip or something, you know, Like I remember, like sound check.
Speaker 4: To me is like.
Speaker 3: I think it was it was me or my I think it's me, me or my brother.
Speaker 2: Even like a bar fight or something.
Speaker 3: No, like like the normal things that happened to a kid. But the tooth fairy brought me like a casino chip because we were in like Lake Tahoe or something. But like like being on the road was very normal. And then like seeing my mom, Yeah, like being being in studios, being backstage, and like seeing my mom before the show, like before the audience was there. All that is like tied together as one kind of large memory.
Speaker 1: That was my Rudolph And here is Daryl Hall. Do you remember what your very first musical memory.
Speaker 5: Was, probably seeing my well, my mother and father both were musicians. I see my mother in a band. I mean my mother was in it was in a band in post Town, and I was like, yeah, from the age of two years old, I'd watched the band, and I always wanted to be the band leader, you know, the guy that had the he had like a white coat on. Everybody else had red coats on. He had a white coat on. So yeah, I was I wanted to be that guy.
Speaker 4: What does Darryl Hall's mom's voice sound like? What is her singing voice?
Speaker 5: She was a soprano. She's ninety eight years old now and she still sings, but yeah, she's an amazing singer, amazing soprano. And my father was in a gospel group, a vocal group, and so I learned harmonies from him and his brothers and his friends and all that. So, you know, I grew up in the whole world.
Speaker 1: Were they closer to do Wop or more Mills Brothers or like harmony?
Speaker 2: Like what was their church harmony? You know, like.
Speaker 4: Gospel?
Speaker 1: Harvey, what was your first musical memory.
Speaker 6: My mom would sing at this park across the street with her band, and she had this big afro and bell bottoms, blue jean bell bottoms in a green shirt and some big hoops, and she had this tambourine but she would hit it with her hip all the time, and I just loved every time her hip would move or she'd sing, the audience would just I just saw them go crazy. I didn't know what that meant, but the sound of her voice always would do something here. So that memory always, I always remember that before I go on stage. But that was my one of my first memories of music. The other one is the h The band would record to the A track and it would sit in our room. We had a shotgun house to just go straight ahead and in the living room. The band would record in the living room, and my mom would record her vocal part with the A track in our bedroom, which was the next room. So I would stare at the A track and watch my mom record on the edge of the bed. And then when they pressed play and her voice came out of it, I was just blown away. And that's when I like those two memories. That's when I wanted to sing.
Speaker 4: Did your mother did she like make records of your recording artists or did she just sing?
Speaker 6: And she was a recording artist, She had her own band called car Nova in New Orleans. They had their own band. It was interracial, racial bass player guitar. My stepdad played drums. That's why I started on the drums. That's why I loved watching drummers. That's why I became a fan of me. And I would watch the way drummers set up their snares. It slanted, is it low? Is it below their knees, like every little technical thing. So I started on the drums, and I would watch them perform rehearse in our bedroom, but we were too young to go in the club, so they would have the car close to the side door so that my mom can babysit while performing, so she would do double duty. So I'm a kid from that kind of era where they did a lot of performing and recording at the same time. But she had her own band lead singer, and her and the bass player would write songs together all the time.
Speaker 1: Wow, I know you're probably obsessed with Darry Jones if you're trying to figure out drummer angles. All right, that was Letusy and now this is Bonnie Rape. I start off every episode with the same question, so you're no exception to the rule. Could you please give me your very first musical memory.
Speaker 7: Oh, I think my dad, who was a Broadway leading man, singing the songs from his show, with my mom warming him up on the pianel. She was his musical director and rehearsal pianist. And I remember being really little and hearing this big, old booming voice singing these great Rogers and Hammerstein songs. So I'd have to say, my folks playing in the house.
Speaker 2: We also have Organized Noise.
Speaker 1: We begin with Sleepy Brown, whose father, Jimmy Brown, was the singer and flute player of a very well known funk band from the seventies called Brick. Of course, Brick gave us the classic song Dazz. I believe dazz is what they call a por dementeau of danceable jazz. They call it dazz. And then we're going to get to Ray Murray, and of course the late we go Wade. And this was recorded in Atlanta in twenty twenty three, very special episode Organized Noise. I know your lineage runs deep. I know all your lineage runs deep, but especially Sleepy being the son of the legendary Jimmy Brown Brick, I'll start with you, can you tell me what your first musical memory was.
Speaker 8: I was six years old, right, and it was my first concert I went to. And I was with my grandparents and we get to the concert and walk on side the stage and my dad, know start performing, And when I seen them do dazz, right, my mouth dropped and I look back at my grandmother when.
Speaker 2: I say, this is what I want to do.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 2: Period, I knew I want to do music.
Speaker 8: As soon as I saw my dad playing them ows and everybody screaming and going crazy. I was just like, I gotta do this is this is what I have to do. And plus you know, my mom would buy me Jackson five albums every Christmas, right, you know, so I was like the six Jackson. Plus I was in Break Right and Commodoors and I was in everybody group. So my first experience of music was the greatest era of music to me was the funk era and the disco era. No music has been made more beautiful than that. So that's my whole being, you know what I mean, No matter what. That's why they called me funk or not, because if it ain't funky, I ain't doing.
Speaker 1: I function with that chewing dazz and music and ain't gonna hurt nobody. The captain obvious break is, do you have a favorite Brick song that isn't a hit or anything?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yep, fun one of them, Happy Happy.
Speaker 1: You know what I was gonna say, Damn, I always always say, but I've always confessed that I'm kind of working on Sultry, right. I was like preface with like, I'm not supposed to say this, but no, I'm getting to the seventy seven episodes, and I gotta say, your dad was a charismatic motherfucker even when performing Happy on Soul training, Like I.
Speaker 8: Just but they always had the biggest smile. It's like we saw him perform. He was just excited and happy to perform for people. And he's always been that way. When he was younger, he had had a band in Savannah that did a couple of records, Jimmy and the Mighty Sensations, that did pretty good. Right, So he's always always loved music till this day.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 8: I'm working on the album right now with him. We're doing like an instrument Yeah, instrumental jazz. So he played flute, instrum, trombone, ato, sex, every hole you can put it front him and kill it.
Speaker 1: Living from the Mind was also one of my favorite. Yes that Baseline killed.
Speaker 2: Me and uh uh Somerset uh Summer.
Speaker 1: Telling them white album coming with Yeah, yeah, I know that joint. Wait, like Brick Trivia. Have you heard this tip it about Prince? Do you know the story? So Prince was such a fan of Brick. What do you know that he wrote get it Up? He wrote that for Brick and they rejected it. We interviewed Mars, I'll do it for you sound effects sound Yeah, Mars and we I mean we've had damn near I remember at the time on except Terry Lewis, Terry Lewis. But yeah, when we asked Mars about him and Prince Craft in the first record, you know, he told us that he's playing drums on everything. He was like, when we may get it up for some reason, like Prince was really into not for some reason, I mean everybody was into it, but.
Speaker 2: Man, you just blew me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Way, Prince had wrote get It Up for Brick Brick to be whatever the album is with with the Green where it's like it's like the Green Leaves for that album.
Speaker 2: They rejected it. You gotta talk to your dad about that. What you're doing.
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 2: You go, that's crazy?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 1: So, Ray, what is your first musical memory?
Speaker 10: Me and my brother and sister used to turn the lights off and dance around to flight time.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, the airplane land.
Speaker 2: Just nos New York state of mind.
Speaker 10: Uh So early on, I kind of like my father's jazz head. So he he had all of this music which was like everything that we ever heard in hip hop.
Speaker 2: You feel me?
Speaker 10: All of this ship to cat sample, that's the ship that I grew up with playing in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all three of you were born in Atlanta. I was doing Savannah. Okay, Yeah, I was born and you where were you born? About to say you gotta have me swag?
Speaker 11: Boys?
Speaker 2: I know it's where are you born? Where are you?
Speaker 10: I was going to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Yes, my mom is from Pittsburgh, but I grew up before we came to Atlanta. We came to Atlanta with Mayna Jackson when he took over the city when he became the first black mayor.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 10: My father and mother were in Tuskegee, Alabama, So I grew up in Tuskegee pretty much Alabama.
Speaker 1: Okay, what I got roots there too, shout out to Mobile, not Texig, but Mobile.
Speaker 2: All right for you, Rico, what's what's your first musical memory?
Speaker 12: Oh Man, Even with listening to their memories, I was man, is as simple as that's good now. It's as simple as hear music on the radio. Because you know what I'm saying, I didn't really hit it. We didn't have a car when I was younger, so I didn't really hit the radio until like Mama was cleaning up or something, or or when I finally went into that back room. We had an extra room, and I just kind of went to digging, Yes, the guest room and all the junk sits in the man. I ended up finding more than records back there one day. But the records not.
Speaker 13: A bunch of fact.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, money, but like Donald Summer and uh like ring my Bell and all that kind of stuff with some of the records and Iley Brothers. Yeah, I was seeing that stuff as records. But but on the radio when she was it was just the energy of the house. She would be a different person when the music came on and she turned up loud and she cleaning up. So people always made that I always say you know, I like to play my music when I'm cleaning up. I really understood what that meant. It's like I feel good today today is this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I'm going I need to.
Speaker 12: Be a good right, you need to feel good wile I'm getting this.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so my examples of music.
Speaker 12: And another one at a young age was my first little job when I was like ten years old, just unloading the back of an eighteen or like a truck or whatever. They used to play the radio, and I just remember that made it go by. So the music music was always a I didn't never think I could necessarily be able to make it. They never think I would be a part of the business. But I knew how important it was and how much I did, how much it did for me, just at that young age, and didn't even know who, didn't know exactly who, none of the artists was. Just knew that at that time, being a man of my age, which is fifty. During that time nineteen eighty, I was eight. So like what he's talking about, like soaking up, sir, at the right time. It's the end of the seventies, so we but they still loaded as far as the albums. I could still see an album. I still saw eight tracks, you know what I'm saying. I still rode in cards. What we did that actually had an eight track in.
Speaker 2: It, So I collect them. Wow, but.
Speaker 12: A brick is amazing because even when when I found out who his father was or whatever, you just thought about that's ice cube song.
Speaker 2: Vasoline, that's the song that asked you got back? That was deep. I was so happy when they did. How did you think about vacine?
Speaker 12: Cool?
Speaker 8: Ye, Like a lot of other artists have sampled before that. You know, kid played it ain't gonna hurt nobody, you know him with did he did?
Speaker 2: It's all good? It was yeah good.
Speaker 8: So well when I heard q on one of the coldest disc records.
Speaker 14: Ever all the time, bro my heart like Jenny, So I was, man, that's still one of my favorite Man.
Speaker 8: I still play that records and like I'm in the mirror and I'm cute and let me shut up.
Speaker 2: That first batch of QLs.
Speaker 1: Guest reflects on how their parents shaped their first musical memories. In some cases, those parents were professionals, known recording artists with their own careers. My parents were also professional recording artists. I grew up in a family act nightclub act. My father was an oldies du wop singer. By the time I was born, my entire family was part of the show. So a lot of my musical memories were, you know, help shaping the nightclub lounge act. One of my favorite musical memories of all time is my dad taking me being shopping to record stores.
Speaker 2: Twice a month.
Speaker 1: We'd go to King James on fifty second Street and my dad would basically just you know, going to a record store back in the day was like a religious experience to me, like this is where you first know the smell of incense, this is where you first see like black light, and you know those zodiac signs that are fluorescent colored and they look good in black light in your bedroom, and seeing like the wall display of how they creatively displayed the records and whatnot. So pretty much, I'll say that for me, Ben, shopping with my dad every other month in West Philly was kind of a dream for me. My dad would go to the hippies guy in the store and say, all right, give me all the forty fives I need. And you know, my dad needed these forty five so that his band would know the latest songs to play, you know, and the guy would just grab a box and say, all right, you need Casing, the Sunshine Band, you need the Commodores, you need the Manhattans, you need Wild Cherry, you need the Ohio Players and the New Earth Went and Fire. You know I meant to them. They saw my dad coming in and knew that this was going to be an instant three hundred dollars sale. But you know, they would just grab all the forty fives and then Dad would just use his instincts to see what he should invest in names so that he was familiar with, like BT Express or Gene Carn or the OJ's whatever, and just buy Binge Binge Binge, and we come home. You know that started my being shopping addiction throughout the years. And we get home, and then when it was time for rehearsal, my dad's band would just rummage through all the forty fives and all the records and they'll be like, we'll take this, we'll take this, we'll take this, we'll take that, this, that and the other. And the weird thing is pretty much whatever wasn't desirable, whatever my dad's band didn't like, I got to keep. So I'll say that I'm probably a rare case in which the flop single was, you know, my favorite song. So you know, I always joke that, of course they would keep like whatever stylistics hit there was, but you know, the stylistics would also cover, like the reggae cover of a song called like Shame and Scandal in the Family, and that was a flop, and of course I would get that record. I'd get the Casey and the Sunshine Band single that was not a hit, and kind of that became part of my vocabulary. So I think I'm in a rare case in which a lot of the music that I took in from like ages three to eleven or not hits, which.
Speaker 2: Explains my creativity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so sometimes it's not the parents as much as records a QLs, guest parents or relatives had laying around the house. Next you'll hear some of those stories. Yeah, you guys already know that I grew up in a house with about three thousand records and three very distinctive record collectors. Like my father was straight ahead. He liked vocal and he loved the yacht rock of his day, but mostly like vocal stuff like he loves Streisand and Nat King Cole and the Beach Boys, anybody with harmony.
Speaker 2: That was his lane.
Speaker 1: My mother was really esoteric, and she would have been a cret digger if she were like of age now in the hip hop era. So she would judge albums based on how funky they looked and whatnot. So my mom was very hip, and my sister pretty much wanted to keep up with her her school friends, her friends in school, so she came home with like a really diverse record collection and kind of put me onto stuff that I wasn't hip to. I didn't know about Kiss, I didn't know about David Bowie Queen, you know, just like a lot of yacht rock stuff, a lot of AM pop. We used to listen to Wizard one hundred back in Philly. And so I'll say that, if anything, my sister is really really responsible for my elastic kind of tolerance for all types of music, you know, which, of course, once hip hop comes then everything's wide open. So, you know, growing up in a house where a thousand records really helps. What was your first musical memory?
Speaker 15: My first musical memory, My memory is very bad, but yeah, you know, driving in the vw vand with my dad and my brother and sister, and my dad would just blast music eight tracks always and sing along really loud, and it.
Speaker 1: Were you allowed to curate the selections or was it like don't touch my stereo?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: No, No.
Speaker 15: He would drive, he'd you know, be driving really fast and rereaching for the eight tracks and trying to push you know, the one, two, three four thing. And that's when I really got into music as a little kid, especially from the radio. But I also knew. I was like, what is it? What's the deal with Neil Young? Like my dad would scream sing Neil Young songs?
Speaker 2: Got it? Okay, It's a tough thing to listen to.
Speaker 4: It's like a five year old.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I was gonna say that.
Speaker 1: I two lived in a don't touch my stereo household, so a lot of the music that I went touch with the ten foot pole suddenly you know, you know, I'll give you a great example. So my dad was like pre pre yacht rock, pree am radio pop. Like he liked vocals like Johnny Mathis, Barbara Streissan, Nat King Cole, anyone that flexed harmony as well. So we have pet Sounds in the house, but I'd never touched it. And then when I read a review that wasn't the Rolling Stone Lever review Paul's Boutique, someone said, oh, this is Sergeant Peppery. He's like, I disagree. This is the pet Sounds of hip hop. This is more pioneering, And I was like, wait, dad has that record? So actually, like Paul's Boutique opened my mind to something I would otherwise resist before the age of eighteen, I'm now open to. So I'll ask you, like, because if you're listening to all of the music that you guys and all your references, and if you're familiar with the rapid fire way that you guys craft records, I would have thought that coming out the wound that you guys were just like music savants that you know, grew up with the pedigree at the age of one of all this music. So I might have believed that, at least for the first ten years of your life is more like forced learning or Stockholm syndrome.
Speaker 4: Like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 15: So that's an ingrained memory, you asked, like, my first memory, that's an ingrain.
Speaker 4: It's it's not a pleasant.
Speaker 15: One, but it's a memory. But I have an older brother and sister, and this is, you know, early seventies, when forty five's, you know, forty fives and I.
Speaker 4: And the AM radio.
Speaker 15: It was a certain time in the radio where it wasn't like this type of music was played on this station. This type was played on this station. That you know, the music being made in the early seventies was a little taste of all of this different stuff, right, And you know, the radio kind of reflected that for a minute. And so we had a sort of lesson from the radio for a very brief time. And also, growing up in New York City, just walking down the street, you hear so much different music that you're you're being taught every day.
Speaker 1: And that was Adam King ed Rock Harowitz of the Beastie Boys. What was your first musical memory of your life?
Speaker 16: My first musical memory. My mother was a classically trained opera singer. And wow, yeah, she sang in the New York full of minors. She sang in Lincoln Center.
Speaker 1: Like it's crazy.
Speaker 16: I did Cornegie Hall a couple of months ago with d Nice, and everybody was like Yo Way and Carnegie Hall, Way and Carnegie Hall, and in my mind, I'm thinking, my mother laped this place three times, like this.
Speaker 1: Is not until I know it four times.
Speaker 16: Until I do it four times, I've done nothing, you know what I mean? Because because I looked, I would go see my mother at connegeyall. But again, she was a classically trained singer, so around the house she sang and played the piano. Since first and then my real real like music a ha moments was when I stayed with my grandmother and I was since I was like six, and she had this record that she played like every day when she came home for work. It was Happy Landing, and I would watch her be happy playing this song, and then I would just sit there and try to figure out how to play all the records in the house. But when she's coming home, I would put on Happy Landings for her to walk into the house too. And I realized, like maybe like a year later, like I am actually doing something to her emotionally by putting this record on when she walks through the door. And that made me always want to be the person in the house that played the records. So I didn't know that at five and six and seven and eight that I'm becoming this DJ until I heard records being mixed and I was like, Yo, what the fuck is happening right now?
Speaker 1: And that was the late great DJ Clark Kent back in twenty twenty three. Could you tell me what is your first musical memory in life?
Speaker 17: My first musical memory is when I was in Ohio, which is where I'm from.
Speaker 4: Yellow Springs, Yellow Springs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I'll say that. You know Chappelle, he could talk anybody into anything, because that's the type of gift he had. But during the pandemic, those trips of Yellow Springs, you know, it was such a welcome relief to sort of the stress of what the pandemic was in twenty twenty. So there was half a second where I was considering getting a house in Yellow Springs. I'm still not against the idea, you know, I know that quality lives out there. I know Dave convinced a few people in this community to buy property out there and whatnot. So was it always a hippie friendly town since the get or was that a recent development?
Speaker 17: Oh no, it's always been that way. It's always been a really cool little oasis in a very conservative state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like.
Speaker 1: Those nine blocks exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a taste of heaven. Like, oh, I was like, I can get used to this.
Speaker 1: And then I took the wrong yeah, yeah, and I saw the wrong president. I was like right, yeah, I was like, uh, let me, let me get back to the to the blue blue section.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what was your first musical memory there?
Speaker 17: Well, there were a couple with my dad because he didn't play an instrument, but he had a collection of records because he liked jazz. So it was me sneaking into his collection.
Speaker 18: And listening and hearing the drums and not knowing what that was because I was, you know, like three and four, but really liking what I heard and being drawn to that.
Speaker 1: So you know, what were those records.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had a lot of Ama Jamal.
Speaker 17: He had some and that was probably one of his favorite. He had Miles records. He had some Coltrane records. Those were his his like favorite three artists, you know, which was a great introduction for me. He had Modern Jazz quartet. You know, he had a kind of a nice little niche of stuff, and so I would sneak in there and you know, listen to probably scratch some of the albums because I was too young to really, you know, take care of him well. But yeah, that's probably my first and you know, maybe my second would would be taking a piano piano lesson with my grandmother who was a classical pianist, and hanging out with my uncle who was a musician as well.
Speaker 1: Were drums the first weapon of choice for you or what was the first instrument that he gravitated towards.
Speaker 17: Oh, definitely drums. Yeah, and I took a lesson on piano with my grandmother, But yeah, drums was always the thing that attracted me.
Speaker 1: That was Cindy Blackman, Santana. And next up you're going to hear Tjer Moses. Can you tell us what your first musical memory was?
Speaker 19: Teen Marie, my cousin was moving into a house behind my tet's house, and we cut a gate in because everybody in you know, in the South, we all live around each other.
Speaker 17: Family lives around each other, so we would cut gates or cut like little paths to go to someone's house.
Speaker 19: And we tore the gate back from my tet's house to my cousin who was moving to the house behind. And the whole time she was unpacking, she was just playing that square bands out. I was really little, but that shit was hard. I loved it. I just I was a little kid loving Teena Marie. That's my first. I guess gospel was my first, because church. But the first time I really was.
Speaker 2: Excited was teen Red because it must be magic album.
Speaker 19: That was your yeah, that one, Yes he loves you that yeah, it's so good. And she was just unpacking and dancing and like all in her zone. It was her first place.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 17: And I was just watching that.
Speaker 19: I was loving the music, and I was.
Speaker 17: Supposed to help them, but I was a little kids. I couldn't really help.
Speaker 18: But that's all first in.
Speaker 2: Music, all right.
Speaker 1: So here's Dave Matthews first with the memory involving family, and then another one involving the radio and his mother.
Speaker 2: What, oh my god? Twenty eight minutes.
Speaker 1: Yo, he waits.
Speaker 4: Can we each have one word of the question?
Speaker 1: What she got?
Speaker 17: Go ahead, Steve, you go go ahead.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was your first musical memory?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute? Time out?
Speaker 1: The first question we asked. This is the level of comfort I have with Dave Matthews. I legit forgot. I was doing a podcast. I was totally I let a half hour go by it. I didn't even start the process.
Speaker 20: No.
Speaker 17: I was like, maybe he's doing his remakes, remixing. I'll start from the beginning.
Speaker 21: I'm here, so, uh, you know, if we have to start again, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: No, no again, but I will I will say this. But the question was what was your first musical memory.
Speaker 21: I would like to say my first live music that I remember, Like, I think it was my first memory because I think I was sitting between my mom's knees. I was a little kid, you know, sort of, and on the back of a flat bed truck. Pete Seeger was playing the band really and I remember thinking that guy's awesome and he was so weird. He was such a weird, but he was so he had he was so friendly, and so that's my first Like, I feel like the.
Speaker 17: Country was this, Dave, because you've lived in a lot of places. Where were you when we saw.
Speaker 21: Up upstate not upstate New York, but you know, north of New York City. So he was in Croaton quite a bit, and uh in that area and uh.
Speaker 1: Was it turn Turn Turn or I can't remember what song.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was.
Speaker 21: I can't remember what songs he was playing. I just remember thinking this, and people were you know, it was relaxed and everything. But then I think, my when I was five years old, I remember liking the Jackson five.
Speaker 2: So I'm not entirely sure.
Speaker 21: Whether that was because why I fell in love with him was because they had a five, ye right, But then I really did love.
Speaker 2: Them.
Speaker 21: And then I've I've fell in love with the Beatles, and I became I would say, a bore until my brother opened my brain when I was about ten, and my brother was turned me onto other kinds of music, and and then I and then it was the seventies, so I could listen to the radio and you could hear you know, in the seventies, you could have the radio on and it could be like at least well PLJ or.
Speaker 2: Whatever it was.
Speaker 21: You know, it was like, uh, it could be it would be like John Denver and then Marvin Gay and then and Paul Up and format and then you know, Donna Summers and then you know, I remember my mom would always go to the radio when Donna Summers came on, and she'd be.
Speaker 2: Going, ah, love to love you baby, my mom, like I.
Speaker 21: Don't like this song right right, And then she waits for it to be over. But I married my mom always running to the radio and turning off the and that was the only song I could remember.
Speaker 2: Her response.
Speaker 21: I think it was just it was too much was there was too much love making in that song for my mom.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a lot of QLs guests grew up around New York City and at least to cite the Apollo as a place of musical memories. Then first we're gonna hear from Mike Murphy of the System, and the next Larry Blackman of Cameo. So the question I usually start with, can you tell me what your first musical your first musical memory was?
Speaker 22: You know, as a kid, my mother loved music, so we used to go to the Apollo all the time. And it was at a time when you could see five shows in one day. You could just sit there, hang out and watch all the shows. And so I did that a lot. Those are my earliest, my earliest memories, you know, in music in the house of course to Jackson five, who I emulated in my first band, and kind of that's how I got my start.
Speaker 1: Because you have so much history, man, I might as well. I got immediately dive in can you tell me in your life what was your first musical memory? My first musical memory, yes, in your life.
Speaker 9: I was about five years old and my aunt was staying with us in New York. She was from Augusta, Georgia and bother's sister, and she always talked about the Apollo and she took me to my first show there. So my first musical memory was I guess being about two rolls back from the stage and observing Sam Cook. That was first musical memories. And then she tells me the story about after leaving there, I broke away from her, running down the street and almost ran across Seventh Avenue, uh, and came close to being met by a Greyhound bus. And she didn't think it was that funny, but she said I would lapse and let her catch up with me, and then break away and run that much more. And that had nothing to do with music. But being that my first musical experience was there, I was like And then after becoming old enough to make it there myself, I used to play He'll keep from Church and cause the Manes on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Four years Okay, so do me a favorite, because this this is like a rabbit hole show where we nerd out on information like that, could you please walk me through like a typical day where you go to the Apollo? Like how much did it cost? Like where would you sit? The acts that played? Like can you walk us through a typical apollo? What year are you talking around?
Speaker 2: Is this the sixties?
Speaker 1: Seventies?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: My god? This this had to be the sixties. Okay, A typical day was you know, parents would give us these envelopes. We were members of the Union Baptist Church on one hundred and forty fifth between seventh and eighth. Okay, we would go to church. I would take my sister, Shoot, about five years younger than me, and we'd go and we'd wait until the offering time, which we would take the envelopes and put it in plate, and up to the plate went around and everything there was something else that happened. They would play music and do something. But I would give her the signal and then we meet in the back of the church if she wasn't sitting with me, and then I would take her across the street to my cousin's house, leave her and take the eighth Avenue bus to one hundred and twenty fifth Street and go up to the Apollo. But anyway, they had mad names. On Sunday. There were two shows on Sunday, and I would catch the earlier show and my seat was if you're on the stage, you look to the left and the first balcony right there, that was my seat. Okay, it didn't have my name on it, And strangely enough, I was never challenged about where I sat. And that went on for years. I've seen every late great performer of color. I mean everyone from Okay, Sam Cooked, Jackie will Flip Wilson, of course, James Brown now I mean, and the lines went around the corner in both directions all the way to the rear of the theater. Became acquainted with acquainted with a couple of the massive ceremonies. Goodness names. I can't think of some of the names right away, but I don't think and I've seen everybody, Ray, Charles.
Speaker 23: B B.
Speaker 9: King, Benny King, Joe Text.
Speaker 1: For you, who was the act that really grabbed you the most? Like when you saw them? Like for you, is it just like on board, let me go see what's at the Apollo? Or you know, was the music calling to you or was it just something to do on a Sunday?
Speaker 9: I did that? I was, I was. I was totally captivated by everything that happened. And I don't know if you have any memories of the Apollom, but they used to show a movie before the live acts. It just it just grabbed me. I mean, every Sunday that's something I did, Like clockwork, wasn't discussed. Didn't feel as if I had to. I just had to see whoever was there. The one show I did not see was the Jewel Box. Review didn't even know what it was until some years later. You know, I never questioned that, but man, I was there and you know turned into friendships with five Stairsteps, with Kenny and Clarence and family, and man, I mean I remember times when the Jackson five were there, when Michael was running around backstage, up and down the stairs and Jermaine you know, you know, if you know Jermaine, you know he was the protector and you know, just to get to know those guys on a one on one basis was was. I enjoyed that in a great deal.
Speaker 1: So you would you were just allowed lee way like throughout the theater or just.
Speaker 9: The more the more people noticed me. I was allowed to enjoy what I enjoyed doing, and that was you know, it was a weird thing. I cannot even remember how certain things turned into friendships, but I did that.
Speaker 1: That happened a lot at the Apollo. How many of these shows would occur a day? Is it just one long concurrent show from like what a typical show just be like a two hour experience and then they get rid of people and then you come back or yes.
Speaker 9: It was like that. I believe at one time. I understand there were several s was a day okay, prior to my attending, but I would remember at least two shows and they would add a show according to whatever it was going on. I watched the documentary on HBO, and a lot of it I remembered, but some of the acts that were there prior to my going, I heard a lot of things. And then Amateur Night I believe it was on Wednesday, and that was a guest within itself. It was Apollo to me was a finishing school, if you want to call it that. But that's where I really cut my teeth. I remember George Clinton Parliament before it became Funker Delicment I remember the first show when it became that, and of course George was wild. We've always gone over the years. But there was a group called Flamingos then had a song called Funky Broadway, and that was the group that, as far as drumas were concerned, that turned me out. That solo at the end of Funky Broadway was the solo you had to play.
Speaker 1: If you were wait not dying. The Blazers.
Speaker 9: Dyke in the Blazers, and there was was a not called the Dyke in the Blazers was one thing, but the Flamingos. It was called the Battle of the Bands. Groups from the Manhattan's Parliament's Parliament, and a lot of other acts.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the records in the house are children's records, and they provide a foundation for folks, especially in the days of kitty turntables. One of the records that I hold near and deer. My first kid record was you Know. As a Sesame Street fan, big fan of Ernie and Bert Bert's Blockbusters, I would listen to that record religiously. So when I get to school second grade, I would sing doing the Pigeon or La La La La, like all of Bert's greatest hits. So yeah, man, that was much, isn't it. Shout out to Bert bro Gangster. All right, and here is Bruce Springsteen. As if you couldn't tell by the voice the local sicasty space right now, Like, wait, we interviewed Bruce Springsteen. Damn right, we interviewed everybody on this show. So since this album is essentially kind of, at least the spirit of it is a return to the music that you kind of fell in love within your childhood, sure, I guess I'll start with the first question I asked every guest on the show, even though this is like the fourth question. What was your what was your very first musical memory.
Speaker 24: My first musical memory was Disney Records. What was these seven Snow White and the seven Doors?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: Hi ho hi hole.
Speaker 24: It's so my first recollection was something like that, you know, or you know those little yellow records that played on seventy eight speed. I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember these, oh no, whatever, little seventy eight s's, you know, little kid colors, red, yellow, blue, and they played at seventy eight and they were basically themes from movies. So that would be my first real musical memory as a child. But after that, my mother was young, she had me when I was when she was in her early twenties, she played the radio. She had the radio on all time every day, you know, in the car and in the kitchen, and she listened to Top forty and so right from a very young age, I was exposed to like the great music of the fifties, and that sort of was where what kind of inspired me, you know, And really I'm basically a Top forty influenced musician. That's how I kind of grew up. And I started there, and then I went searching in blues and folk in a lot of different other places for influences, but really I started out just listening to the Top forty on the radio.
Speaker 25: That's a little unusual though, because I would think, I mean, I would consider you maybe like the second generation of rock and roll.
Speaker 1: So you're not, I mean, you're not exactly a greaser. And I know that you in your teen years. You know, it was the late sixties.
Speaker 2: But it's very.
Speaker 1: Unusual for me to see not not agreeable, but least an amicable musically amicable environment in the household, because normally, like the music of the kid is rebellious music and turn that you know, right, But you're you're saying that your your parents weren't like that at all, like bab.
Speaker 24: Well, my dad was a bit like that, but my mother no, she was a young woman and she was into uh, you know, we're Southern Italians, which means we like music, we can sing and we can perform.
Speaker 1: Next up we have Deborah Harry and Christine known as Blondie. I would like to know, oh, I ask them both of you. I'll start with Debris. What was your first musical memory?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 20: Wow, I know, Well that's it really goes back, doesn't it. I had, you know, children's record, it's back back then. I had a Victrola, at least that's what my dad called a victrola, and it was in a box, you know, a little suitcase, and it had a speaker that was attached to the arm where the you know, where the needle was and you would just drop it down onto the record. And so that those were my earliest things. And I think one of my one of my favorites was a thing, oddly enough called Little Toott.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was that a Disney record?
Speaker 8: Or enough?
Speaker 4: Was a Disney record?
Speaker 20: It might have been, might have been, but it was a really great little song that went through a lot of different emotional interpretations because it told a story up this little tougueboat and you know the worthlessness of this little and little togueboat and how the big togboats always you know, pushed it around. But then a little front of it, yeah, little too became like the hero of the.
Speaker 1: Day and so basically off the Retins Reindeer. Chris, what was your first musical memory.
Speaker 26: Well, I don't I don't really remember locking onto any little kid music.
Speaker 4: My first affinity for music started when I was like, I guess, you know, around ten.
Speaker 26: Or eleven, with movie scores, which was and man, some of those novelty songs, you know, like the Chipmunks and Purple People, Eater and stuff. But I, you know, I don't know how much that move me, that stuff. But then I started, you know, like Laurence of Arabia and West Side Story. I mean, I I it's very hard for me to explain to younger people what a huge cultural touchstone West Side Story was. West Side Story was as big as the damn Beatles, There's no question about it. I don't think people people don't get that nowadays.
Speaker 20: My oh god, my mother got so mad at me because I took my sister, who is seven years younger than me to see West Side Story and she almost had a heart. Oh no, you took her, You took her to see that? Oh no, how could you? But it was fabulous. It was so wonderful. And you know, Leonard Bernstein was never better.
Speaker 1: Really, I was going to say that, I'm currently reading uh little Stephen Stephen van Zant's autobiography, and he too has an immense obsession with West Side Story and pretty much described it as the way that you guys did like when it came out, it.
Speaker 4: Was a huge deal.
Speaker 26: I don't know, I mean, you're probably all your soundtracks that I was praying more obsessed with Lawrence Arabia soundtrack, mauriciol are you know great?
Speaker 20: And the other thing that I listened to a lot was like the Cowboys sing, which is you know, Western, not even country western, it was really Western music and those were those were great, you know, great songs and people like Burl Lives and stuff lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now that you you know, declared your love for Lawrence of Varibia, I gotta ask. You know, it's important because the very first Okay, So, I grew up in the household with an older sibling who, you know, because of my sisters, because of her school situation. You know, she was fitting in with her girlfriends what they were listening to at the time. So you know, she's bringing in a lot of you know, the classic new wave of punk stuff or whatever. But the one album that I remember, even though she had like you know, each of Me and all that stuff, like, I remember the day that she brought Auto American.
Speaker 26: Okay, okay, okay, okay. So, now, in on the orchestral session, there was a bait one of the bass players played on the Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack, right, So that.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask, is your obsession because you know the way that you open up Auto American with the Europa score.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I mean you know you know that by then I was at Adito Roda very deep and all this other stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, I always had a thing for soundtracks.
Speaker 26: I think soundtracks nowadays that's a whole other topic, are way overused. Uh They're becoming like laugh tracks, you know, where they steer your emotions in the direction, right, of where, whoever, whoever, the committee.
Speaker 4: That wrote the thing, they think you should be feeling, you know.
Speaker 26: And then, you know, gradually I started assimilating the pop music that was around me, like locomotion.
Speaker 4: Everybody loved the locomotion no matter what, you know.
Speaker 26: And you know, this stuff like the Shambra Laws, I didn't really appreciate till later when we were doing the band.
Speaker 4: I was kind of like commercial to me at the time.
Speaker 20: You know, well, I'm older than Chris and I remember this thing. I used to listen to radio a lot. I had a little radio and I always had my ear right next to the speaker. The speaker was only at this big and they had a radio thing called the Hit Parade. Yeah, and all those like crooners and you know, band singers and stuff like that. There was a lot of that. It was kind of great yeah before yeah.
Speaker 4: And then it was.
Speaker 26: And then I went into folk music, of course, you know, because I was fifteen and sixty five and by that time I've been playing I've been playing guitar for since I was twelve, and folk music was it. And I remember learning how to play house at the Rising Sun was such a big deal to me.
Speaker 1: The one and only Mark ronson Mark, What was your first musical memory?
Speaker 13: I have like almost snapshots in my head, like partial memories. I remember having a little trap drum kit when I was three or four. I remember also having it was either a Sony or Fisher Price record.
Speaker 2: Player that was like plastic, like.
Speaker 1: A brown joint or like a little tan one, like a little tan joint.
Speaker 13: Whereas no, this was like primary colors.
Speaker 1: It was like red.
Speaker 13: Maybe it was just like an English one. It was like red, yellow, green, And I just remember lifting the needle and putting it down on the record and just that excitement when the first like crackle happened, and then like just being like whoa, I can control this. I mean it's so not I mean it's not even deep enough to compare it to DJ because it literally is DJing. But yeah, those are some of my first first memories, all right.
Speaker 2: So instruments are important too.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: The drums chose me because my birth doctor and cur my mother to let me be as creative as I want to be. You know, he's one of those hippies like let him play in his food, let him draw on the walls, like things that you should not do in a black household with a bunch of plastic on the furniture. But my mother pretty much took his advice and let me just run rampant, but kind of drew the line when it was like beating up the furniture. So pretty much, I'll basically say that after beating the furniture to death, my parents got me my first drum set in nineteen seventy four when I was three years old.
Speaker 2: What is your actual first musical memory that you.
Speaker 23: I think for me, I was like a kid who like who had you know, you know, you have to be outside playing with individuals and your friends and am I really great friends. But I think mine was when I first got my first bass amplifier, had this univox, I had a copy Fender Jazz called the Orlando, and I opened up the case and I thought it was real fur. I thought I was rich because I had this bass guitarist fur was the fur inside of it. That was my first musical experience, experience really, And then I played trump. I played first trombone and jazz man too, so I wanted to play saxophone, but they I wanted to play saxophone, but.
Speaker 21: They didn't have anymore?
Speaker 17: What age is this again?
Speaker 4: This isn't just in grade school?
Speaker 23: Well, grade school I was just starting to play. But by the time I got to high school, I sat in the first chair playing trombone.
Speaker 2: And that was Raphael Sadec.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty one, here is bass God, Nathan East.
Speaker 2: What was your first musical memory that you had.
Speaker 27: Yeah, there was there was always a piano kind of around the house that uh, pops and moms both would play. But you know, it was like, you know, music, music filled the neighborhood and you know, so you'd hear gl Oudys Night, Marvin Gay out, you know, blasting through the homes of this of the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: But it was really I'll never forget.
Speaker 27: My first forty five was more Love by Smokey Robinson. We were just always gathered around the radio and listening to music. And I remember when I played cello for three years and then I discovered the base and it was it was actually in church my brothers and I were doing that. They were doing like these folk masters back in the day when all that started, and uh, and then there was a base on the altar and I went up picked it up and nobody claimed it, and I picked it up and I said, oh lord, what was your first musical memory?
Speaker 11: My dad was in my ass because I wasn't practice my piano in my ass because I had to practice a half hour every day. And sometimes I would like wait till he fell asleep, and after sleep and then and then I would say, yeah, practice and he did. I would get a whooping if I if I didn't practice.
Speaker 1: If you didn't practice your skills, yeah, man. So wait, how old were you when you first started playing piano?
Speaker 11: Seven?
Speaker 1: Was this like a church requirement thing or like just something to do to pass the time, or no, it's my mom.
Speaker 11: My mom had this thing for signing me up for activities so she could go do what she was gonna do. That was like my babysitter. So if I was at the y MCA all day, then you know I was coming. That was just or like after school I went to piano and then she would drop me off and she would like go grocery shop like that was her, Like you know that those were all my babysitters. But but I learned, you know, I learned how to play the piano. And she had me an archery swimming. I could do anything when.
Speaker 16: I was little.
Speaker 11: Oh wow, okay, you guys didn't have the white the white mom just dropping you off on sething.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boys and girls, summer time.
Speaker 23: Yeah yeah, basketball, gymnastics, everything I know in gymnastics, Forward Road.
Speaker 1: Get dropped off with the y and got dropped off at Hebrew School on Sundays.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, yeah, schools are why really? Yeah?
Speaker 17: We had that.
Speaker 11: We had a Jewish center and I had to go to that too.
Speaker 12: Why'd you have to go to that?
Speaker 11: Because they had What class did I take?
Speaker 2: That's why I took a cleaner? Why a cleaner gym?
Speaker 13: I took?
Speaker 9: This?
Speaker 11: I took That's why I put swimming lessons.
Speaker 6: You're right, that's funny, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Because it wasn't tho swimming pool that.
Speaker 4: Was nice like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't go to the fifty second Street. Why I could go to the Jewish y on Broad Street but not fifty second Street? You get to ask the second Street why that's really?
Speaker 1: And closing out the betch that is Mason Gray, another one of a kind voice. Thank you guys for tuning in. Come back next week and check out your podcast feed. Part two of QL's first musical memories as we kick off a new year, new season, and more great episodes ahead. All Right, What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.