Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that.
Speaker 2: Put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart.
Speaker 1: Today's episode is about the likability trap.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: It's the impossible bind women are in to be viewed as a leader and a boss and still be likable.
Speaker 2: And if you're thinking, Danielle, what does that even mean? Let me give you one example.
Speaker 1: There was a study done in which researchers showed a series of videos where an individual was forced to choose between staying at work and dealing with a crisis or going home to tend to a sick child. Men had no penalty either way. Women were either competent and unlikable, or likable and incompetent. When men walk into a room, they are perceived as competent. When women walk into a room, they have to prove it. Our Guest Award winning journalist Alicia Menendez wrote a book about navigating likability. In it, she says, when women walk into a room, there are assumptions made about us, and many of us go to great lengths to undercut those assumptions. We know to always be prepared. We can't afford to slip up to us. Be yourself can sound like a dare a safe declaration only truly intended for those who are assumed to be competent, qualified, and powerful. The constant chatter of how women lead impedes them from leading and trying to be everything all at once. Women are straight up exhausted. This interview is actually a re error. It was the very first episode of Pretty Smart, but I felt like it deserved some more airtime one because we have so many new listeners since then. In two after this interview aired, I got messages from women all over the country. It seemed to have this domino effect, inspiring several book clubs and other interviews with Alicia. Her book changed me, and it gave me so much joy to hear and to feel that this conversation changed so many of you too. Even my mom, who is my greatest fan but my toughest critic she really does not lie to me, called me after this interview and said, I feel seen in my work life for the first time in thirty years after listening to this, and I know why.
Speaker 2: She said that.
Speaker 1: Alicia's book, The Likability trap gives us the words to explain what I think so many of us have been feeling for years and just didn't have the language to explain. Today's conversation covers what the likability trap actually is two concepts she deems the cardib effect and the Goldilocks conundrum. If you can be rewarded at work for authenticity.
Speaker 2: Who replies?
Speaker 1: You can use if someone says something to you that makes you uncomfortable at work, And ultimately we discuss if women can never get out of the trap.
Speaker 2: Alicia, it is such a trap.
Speaker 1: I felt like I had PMS for the last ten years of my career, and then I read your book and I thought, for the very first time, oh my god, maybe it's not me.
Speaker 2: So thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Thank you for reading it. Like writing a book is one thing, having the.
Speaker 4: Book find the person it was meant for, and then having that person actually read it is a whole other level.
Speaker 2: I've never thought about it that way.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of a book finding somebody because it does land in the hands of the person who's supposed to read it.
Speaker 2: That's very cool.
Speaker 1: I kind of have this armchair philosophy. It's definitely not research that people that go into passionate careers or feels do so in part to kind of heal themselves. And so my best guess when I was reading this book was that you fell into the likability trap. And I'm wondering if there was a moment that sort of catalyzed your wanting to write the book.
Speaker 4: I don't know that there is any single moment, so much as I think the process of getting into my thirties and realizing that I was in a lot of situations at work where I was really trying to please everyone. I was trying to please the people who I managed on my team, I was trying to please the people who managed me, and by that I mean both doing my work and delivering, but also being very pleasant and non demanding and non.
Speaker 3: Confrontational in the process.
Speaker 4: When I would assert what I wanted, two things would happen. One, I would often feel that the vibe in the room changed and all of a sudden, people sort of had their backs up a little bit. And then the second thing that would happen is I would leave the room or the meeting, and even if I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish, even if I received the thing that I was asking for, I would sort of have this likability hangover where I would then worry about the way that I had.
Speaker 3: Been in the room.
Speaker 4: And so in some ways it was it was that ladder piece, the hangover that I was initially really interested in. Why am I feeling so bad for asking for what I want and getting this response? And I imagined myself going like on an eke Prey love for likability, where I would, as a person who cares a lot about being well liked, do all these things to learn to care less. And what happened to Neil is that as I started interviewing other women, I met a lot of women who, like you and I, were governed by likability, people for whom it was really important. But then I also meant a lot of women who really didn't give a damn. And I imagine that those women were just out there living their best lives. And what I came to find is that even those women felt that they were paying a price for being so brazenly themselves.
Speaker 1: I was actually going to ask you about that, because there are moments, particularly, I think, in what we do, I'm on set and feel some of these things very blatantly, and I go home have the likability hangover, as you call it, which I love that term, And then I try and sift through it, and I think to myself, you're so sensitive, Danielle, Like, there must be women out there who just don't care. So you interviewed hundreds of people for this book. They don't care, but there's still a price to pay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think there are a lot of women who are very clear, very assertive, very direct, ask for what they want, ask for what they need, don't have those secondary feelings afterwards. But the truth is that we work and live in a culture, in a society where we social women and girls to care about what other people think of them. I think in some ways that can be really good and really powerful and not a thing we want to dismiss entirely, because I do want other people to feel good and seen and respected in my presence. It's actually a big part of what I pride myself on. The challenges when that cross is over into being dictated by it, right when it becomes the only thing you care about, when you don't feel you can authentically show up as your true self because you're always trying to please other people. And what I found with a lot of the women who aren't governed by it is they work in places where they have managers and bosses who feel like they should care, and that by being a woman who sort of just operates in the world without regard for what other people are thinking about them or feeling about them, that they often have gotten dinged for not caring. And so that became more interesting to me, Right, why is this expectation that women are supposed to care? And especially I think where this shows up is for women who are ambitious and for women who work in male dominated fields where leadership is framed round this very masculine notion of leadership, and where anyone who doesn't show up that way isn't seen as a leader, or anyone.
Speaker 3: Who does show up that way but is a.
Speaker 4: Woman is then seen is less likable because she's not showing up the way that we as a society and we as a culture expect women to show up.
Speaker 1: I thought you did such a wonderful job of characterizing those. The two that really stuck out to me as examples in the book were one women in politics and two women with children. So I'm wondering if we can kind of go through those categories. The women in politics, you just said that leadership is still framed through a male lens, which is I think like the overarching issue that we don't think about, even down to the way we're supposed to dress like a suit is powerful.
Speaker 4: But look at you in that leather blazer. See to me, you look so powerful.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Thought a lot to know all about whether or not this past election cycle did begin to loosen up some of those frameworks. So for women in politics, the core tension, and the core at tension for all women is that we expect women to act communally, to want what is in everyone's best interest, to care about the team, not about herself, which is why when a woman says me or I, when she frames things around.
Speaker 3: Herself, people get really uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: And when you're running for office, even if you're running because you care about your community and you want everyone on your block.
Speaker 3: To have access to whatever it is, better water.
Speaker 4: Better schools, there is still the sense that you're putting your name, your hat into the ring, and that that act of raising your hand and saying I think I can do this already means that women begin as a deficit because we're not accustomed to seeing women do that. What I think this cycle may have changed was there were all of these women that were being considered very publicly to be Joe Biden's running mate. And I thought it was fascinating and powerful that, one by one, instead of doing what people normally do when their name is being floated for a vice president, which is to say, oh, I don't know, it would be an honor, but you know, I'm every single woman said yes, I would like this job, and let me tell you why I'm qualified, let me tell you why I'm the best candidate. And I thought it was so powerful that it wasn't just Stacy Abrams, it wasn't just Val Deeming's, it wasn't just Kamala Harris. It was an entire group of women who, one by one made it really normal to say I want this, I can do this, and if asked, I'm going to say yes.
Speaker 3: And I think there was a power.
Speaker 4: In the individual doing it, but I think there was even more power in the group doing it, because it became such a unifying factor that it meant you, I didn't pick it apart as strategy.
Speaker 3: One by one, it was just normal. It was what everybody was doing.
Speaker 4: And I think that is awesome, not just for women in politics, but for women in any industry.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think we saw it with the Me Too movement. A rising tide lifts all books. There's real power in numbers. The one thing I did see because I agree with you, but I heard a lot of people kind of substitute the word likability for electability. It felt like a synonym almost, we just decided to use a nicer word.
Speaker 4: Feel like it is a close cousin of likability. Everyone learned the lesson from twenty sixteen, where that was so much of the way that we talked about Hillary Clinton, and so it's like they trained themselves not to say it, like don't say it, don't say it, don't talk about how likable she is. And so they were like, but you know how we can talk about it by talking about whether or not she's electable, because its not about whether or not I like her, It's about whether or not these other amorphous Americans out here will like her. So yeah, we're we're not past it by any means. And I think you saw Kamala Harris come up against it in a number of ways. Some of them were about gender, some of them were racialized. I actually think she came up against the question even more during the primary when she brought critiques to Joe Biden and said, you know, this is part of your record and I want to talk about it. And it was very clear that he got dinged for just deigning to go toe to toe with him.
Speaker 1: I'm going to start using that in my mind, it's ding. I got dinged because it is. It feels like ding.
Speaker 3: I think you can do it.
Speaker 4: As much as you do it for yourself, you do it, watching when it happens to other women is equally powerful.
Speaker 2: Actually, what's your philosophy on that?
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure you're so tuned into it now you probably always were, but especially after writing the book and researching, how much do you try and go out of your way in situations to speak up when you hear it happening or see it happening to other people?
Speaker 3: Every time? Now?
Speaker 4: It is like a yes, because part and part of what I think it is too, is that a gentle probe will often go a long way. That if someone says, I don't know, I just don't like Danielle, that I could say, what do you mean by that? What do you mean when you say I don't like her? What is it about her that you don't like? And if you drill down, drilled down, drill down, you realize how subjective it often is, and how coded and loaded it is. And I actually think there are lots of opportunities to reframe language. And if someone says to me, she's a little indecisive, and I say, well, is she indecisive? Or is she deliberate? Is she aggressive? Or does she deliver for her team? Even words like helpful, which I've often described another woman as being helpful, and I have meant it as a positive attribute. Calling a woman helpful can often diminish her to just being a helper. So I've learned to say not just oh no, Danielle was really helpful in this project. But Danielle ran all our regression analysis. Danielle wrote all of the scripts, she prepared, all of binders. Whatever it is, the actual thing that the person brought and contributed helps people understand the value that they add much more than saying a woman is helpful, because when you do that, most often people are like, oh, she got everybody coffee.
Speaker 1: Drilling down to the specificity is one of the biggest takeaways I had from the book, and I loved when you said, because I think you and I are probably really sort of fueled by questions innately, and to use that as a tool is really powerful. I started saying to people if I heard an uncomfortable comment.
Speaker 2: Can you repeat that?
Speaker 1: Hearing themselves say it again I think made them realize that it was ridiculous. But there were two questions that you noted in the book that I really loved that when you get feedback from your employer, there are two things that you can say.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if you can kind of talk about.
Speaker 4: That absolutely and I want to say these ideas. This came from an executive coach who I quote in the book, and most of the feedback that women get, the vast majority of feedback is critical subjective feedback, meaning that instead of talking about your results or about the work itself, very often in a formal or informal feedback session, it'll be about the way you use your hands, or the way you use your voice, or the way you sit in a chair, which for you and I actually is part of the work, but for many women is very tertiary to the work that they do. And so that if someone were in a feedback session and they were to say to you, you know, Melissa, you're just too assertive, that Melissa would say, okay, assertive compared to whom, meaning would you give that feedback? Would you qualify my style that way? If I were someone else in the office, It gives the person who's giving the feedback an opportunity to say, oh, let me think about that.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I would.
Speaker 4: And then I think the second question is actually even more useful and more powerful, which is to say, Okay, can you draw a line for me from the way you see my style in the office to how it actually impacts.
Speaker 3: The results of my work? I think if you're going to ask that question.
Speaker 4: You also have to be open to the possibility that there is a connection between your style and how it impacts your work. But again, it pushes the conversation towards the work itself and towards results, which is what I heard from women again and again that that is really where they wanted.
Speaker 3: To see things headed.
Speaker 4: So as much as I think that's a good advocacy tool for yourself and you should use it, tomorrow and any type of feedback you have. I also think it is really powerful when you use it on someone else's behalf, when you ask those questions on someone else's behalf, Oh, she's too aggressive. Can you give me an example of where that impacted or work? And that for those of us who are managers or even just work with other teammates, that we are thinking critically about the feedback that we give and how much of it is about style and how much of it's actually about substance.
Speaker 2: So there are two ideals we must hold at once.
Speaker 1: That makes this such a catch twenty two, and you call this the Goldilocks conundrum. Can you kind of lay out what that catch twenty two is? The holding two ideals wants.
Speaker 4: We expect women to be warm and communal and want what's best for everybody. And we expect leaders to be direct and to be able to advocate for themselves. And that means that if you are showing up the way we expect a woman to show up, then people don't see you as a leader. And if you show up the way we've been conditioned to expect leaders to show up, then people think that you're violating what they expect from you as a woman. And so that is just the constant tension that women are running up against. And I think you see it most if you just think about most of the women in your life and the feedback that they've been given, which is they've either been told often that they are too assertive, too aggressive.
Speaker 3: Need to tone it down.
Speaker 4: That while they have what it takes to be seen as a leader, there are people in the office who they rube the wrong way or who may not like them. And then the other version of that, or the complete inverse of that, is a woman who everybody likes and everybody loves and just adores, so people aren't sure she has it, that she doesn't take up enough room, she doesn't take up enough oxygen. I mean, there are like a million euphemisms for the fact that people don't see her as a leader. And then what I find especially interesting is that there are a lot of women like myself who've been given both sets of feedback, have been told that we are too much or not enough. And that shows you, I think, just how subjective and context specific that feedback is. That there are certain environments where you're seen as really a sort of and then there are other environments where you are seen as not a sort of enough which tells.
Speaker 3: You you're you.
Speaker 4: You might be showing up as you exactly as you are all the time.
Speaker 3: It's not you that's always changing.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it is the expectation of the environment itself.
Speaker 1: Because it's also about the people giving the feedback as well, it's subjective to their own personal experiences. One of the largest pushbacks I hear when I talk to people about this, specifically men in positions of leadership, They say that they feel a lack of accountability from people, and so they're like, it's not a woman thing, it's a person thing. Of course, I want somebody who's likable, who's amiable, who has great people skills and can negotiate. Well, why is this so specific to women.
Speaker 4: I do think that people want to work with people that they like, and that is part of why I also don't feel it's as simple as being like, don't care about likability, just like, get over it.
Speaker 3: No. The challenge is.
Speaker 4: That what we see as a likable leader specifically has been defined in very masculine terms. That's also challenging if you are, you know, identify as a man and don't present in an uber masculine way, the same way that women get dinged at the workplace, ever, communicating in a way that approximates anger.
Speaker 3: If a man cries in.
Speaker 4: The workplace, that is an instant demerit like he is not seen as being as strong.
Speaker 3: Or as leaderly as he would be otherwise. And so it's about the fact that there's just.
Speaker 4: Not a big enough space and a broad enough definition for people to step into that. It's this very narrow definition of what a likable leader can be and how they can show up. And my interest is in expanding that to include many more people and many more styles of leadership.
Speaker 2: There was such a great example you used.
Speaker 1: You said, there was a study done in researchers showed a series of videos where an individual was forced to choose between staying at work and dealing with a crisis or going home to tend to a sick child. Men had no penalty either way, so whichever one they chose, they were to find and women were either competent and unlikable or likable and incompetent, and those two things, likable and competency are constantly on this inverse swing.
Speaker 4: That study really set my hair on fire, I think because I was becoming a parent around the time that I read it, which is to say, I mean, imagine it. A woman is at her desk and there is some big assignment due and everybody's rushing to finish it, and she gets, let's say, a call from her kid's school and they say, Jimmy just threw up on the playground. So she rushes out the door to go get Jimmy. And everyone's like, well, I guess she's not that dedicated to this project. Or if she says like well, Jimmy's other parent will pick him up, like it'll be fine, I'll stay here and I'll do the job, that everyone's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, what a terrible mother. It's like she really can't win.
Speaker 4: And that would be one thing, as you sort of alluded to, if the same things happened with dads. But when a dad rushed out door to go get Jimmy, everyone was like, he's an amazing father, like he's so dedicated. And when he stayed at work, everyone's like, yeah, a real team player, Like he won both ways and the mom got dinged both ways. And it even shows up in more subtle ways that again, there are things I didn't think about until I became a parent, And I think becoming a parent has been very helpful in terms of recognizing, even as a very empathetic person, the limits of our own empathy, and how imagining someone else's life situation or circumstance is actually more challenging than we want to acknowledge, which is like happy hour is hard for parents. That bowling thing at five point thirty. That means they have to arrange child care, It means they have to plan dinner from afar. I mean, all of these things just become more complicated, and that's where a lot of the social fiber of work really happens. It happens in those things. That's like even if you do get invited to go and schmooze and do it, like if.
Speaker 3: You don't do it, there's a price.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of places are trying to think more holistically about how you set people up to succeed for those things. This all sounds so wild because no one's been together in person in a year or so, Like just imagining a bar situation is making.
Speaker 3: Me very anxious.
Speaker 1: Of course, there was all these terrible things, but there's a pressure that was lifted that I hear most people talk about by not feeling like they have to go to those things. I had an experience on set recently that it took me an hour of therapy to sift through, and I want to kind of tell you about it and then unpack it with you. I was on set and a producer. It was COVID time, so there's very few people on set, and a producer who I've worked with a ton and actually really love kept stopping down and saying, Danielle, can you do it with a little more energy?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I did it once. Can you just smile more? A little bit more energy? I need bigger energy. Okay? So I did it twice.
Speaker 1: The third time it became funny because my male co host looked at me and was like, he's so.
Speaker 2: He was so monotone at this point.
Speaker 1: I mean I should have tap danced in the air like there was how much more energy can I give? And he didn't mean anything by it. He's a nice, well meaning person. The rest of the day, I was fuming on the inside and pretending I wasn't because I had a job to do, and after an hour of therapy trying to unpack why this bothered me so much, because again I'm like, Danielle, you're so sensitive. I realized that it was because my male co host gets to show up as himself. When somebody gives you feedback like that, it takes away part of your personhood.
Speaker 2: You're constantly shape shifting.
Speaker 1: I don't get to show up as myself if that's the feedback you're giving me.
Speaker 2: And I thought about the Cardi b effect. This is, I know, one of the most.
Speaker 1: Sort of talked about moments from your book, and I'm wondering if we can expand on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think part of what I'm hearing from you, And that's the thing is like, not everyone wants to be a television personality, but I do think the most commodifiable television personality as a woman is the perky morning like.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, like let's check in on what's happening on the Twitter. Like you know, like there's just that that is a type. It's just so one dimensional.
Speaker 4: Like that is a fraction of the women I know who actually are that way and show up that way in the world. And the ones who do that's great. Like the point is not to not allow that person to exist. It is just to acknowledge that there is more of a breath of experience than just being on. I think that shows up in a lot of ways for a lot of different people, right, Like people have an expectation of how if you were that way and you were an accountant and you showed.
Speaker 3: Up that bubbly, people would be like and you need to to like bring it down, you know, like there's that.
Speaker 4: So I just think Cardi is really fascinating as an example of someone who is lauded for authenticity. And I think you can have an entire sidebar conversation about whether anyone who is that public of a person is authentic or choosing parts of themselves to cultivate and put forward. I don't know how many professional environments anyone could show up as their authentic self that is sort of big and bold and brash and be celebrated for it.
Speaker 3: And I think that happens again.
Speaker 4: In multiple directions, right I think there are people who are dry and quiet who need to play it up, and then there are people who are loud and eccentric who are asked to hem it in.
Speaker 3: And I think what happens.
Speaker 4: Especially for women and especially for people of color. I think there are other marginalized identities where this happens to It certainly happens for LGBTQ individuals, where you may show up as yourself in every manifestation of whatever that is hair, clothing, accent, linguistic choices, and people may just like love it, and it may fully resonate at your place of employment, and.
Speaker 3: You will be lauded for that authenticity.
Speaker 4: Often feel like you are gambling that if you show up fully authentically as you really are, when you are you, and it lands, then there'll be a great reward, and if it misses, that's it, and that there's a huge risk, and that there is a certain amount of credibility in showing up the way that the you know, main office culture or whatever culture it is. You're stepping into stuff up that like putting yourself into the box that you know is safe.
Speaker 3: It may not have the same.
Speaker 4: Reward as showing up as your more dynamic, authentic self, but it carries less risk. And I think I think with all of this, with this with the question of how ambitious to be, I think we have flattened it to making it seem as though people making one time choice right that you like, get out of bed one day and you're like, it's today of the day, I'm going to be ambitious or unambitious, and it's like, no, it's it's all these micro choices. It's that moment on set where something is being asked of you and then asked of you again, and you are in real time having to do the assessment of is what I'm being asked fair of me and truly a part of the job that I've been signed up to do. Is there a version of this feedback that would be asked of my male colleague for a person of color, I think that becomes would the same thing be asked of a white colleague? And if I say, hey, there's something about what I'm being asked that's making me feel uncomfortable by even opening up the conversation, do I then get marked as a problem even if I am truly just asking it from a place of interest and inquiry.
Speaker 3: Women and people color.
Speaker 4: Making those decisions, you know, multiple times a day, and that is the challenge, is that it's like you are always asking yourself is it worth dealing with this? Do I just do what is being asked of me? Do I just process the feedback as though it is coming with the best of intentions, or do I say something, and each of those choices, I think it is hard to fully appreciate the emotional weight and the cost. Right Like, you walked off that and you needed to go unpack it with a professional.
Speaker 2: Which sounds ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But you know, as I've gotten older, I'm willing to compromise in that way less and less, but I still feel like I do it all the time, and it does chip away at your soul a little bit. And at the same time, no matter what profession you're in, there's kind of a game that you have to play, and so it's that cost benefit analysis that you're constantly playing with.
Speaker 2: You laid that out so beautifully. There's a quote I love in the book.
Speaker 1: It says, when we walk into a room, there are assumptions made about us, and many of us go to great lengths to undercut those assumptions. We know to always be prepared. We can't afford to slip up to us. Be yourself can sound like a dare a self declaration only truly intended for those who are assumed to be competent, qualified and powerful and it is that assumed competence we are constantly pressing up against, and you do such a beautiful job laying it out for intersectionally because you mentioned any person who has a piece of marginalized identity feels this in some way.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Have you ever walked into a room and assume that people think that you are competent and have checked all of the boxes and are imminently qualified. I mean, I've everything I have ever done. I have felt that the assumption is that I will have to prove all of those things even after I've been hired, Even after I have been, you know, given whatever responsibility, it still feels like every every single time I am doing the task that is being asked, that anything less than an A plus is a potential to merit or an opportunity for someone to say that I didn't deserve it or that I'm not up to the task. It doesn't feel like I ever have the luxury of an off day. And I think that is both about having incredibly high standards. I think that there are probably people who feel that who don't necessarily have the added dimension of you know, being in a woman in a space that has been classically dominated by men, or where men have.
Speaker 3: The vast majority of leadership roles, or.
Speaker 4: Being a person of color in a space where most of the people in leadership are white.
Speaker 3: But it all adds.
Speaker 4: Like I think about that story that I tell in the Likability Chap about being with Donna Brazil in the makeup chair before we're going to be on this week with George Stephanopolis, and there's a person who has been doing political analysis and working in politics for at this point the majority of her life, and she expresses to me that she's tired because she's an up all night preparing, and it's in myself. I think like, well, I'm relatively new to this, so my anxiety must just be about my own newness and my own perfectionism. And to hear someone who's been doing it for twice three times as long say, oh no, I stay up and I study, and I have anxiety about it even still, because I know that if I slip that it will be a deeper demerit, and that there are a lot of people who won't just see it as like oh a Lia messed up. But every young woman under thirty five, if every Latina must be less competent because I watched this one person not be as good as I thought they should be, and so you have that constant expectation. But it's not just about you, but it's about a lot of other people.
Speaker 1: Are you doing it all at your company? Jess Works makes it easier for you to start, run, and grow a business. Let me tell you just how jess Works can help your business. We all know that great people are at the heart of every business, and just Works can help you attract and retain top talent In a competitive market, the cost of turnover is extremely high. It's estimated that losing an employee can cost a company one and a half to two times the employee's salary. Just Works platform gives you access to rich benefits usually only available to large corporations, plus a range of health, fitness, and financial perks because you and your team deserve them too. Just Works makes it simple to hire and manage remote employees across all fifty states with.
Speaker 2: Help when you need it.
Speaker 1: With twenty four to seven expert support for you and your employees, access to certified HR consultants who can provide tailored guidance and best practices around managing your people, and transparent pricing with no hidden costs, so you can always know exactly what you're paying for run your business with confidence. Take a look at just works transparent pricing by visiting justworks dot com slash pricing that's justworks dot com slash pricing for details. I have a good friend who has a young daughter. She had to have surgery and her daughter said, is the doctor a woman? Her daughter said, oh, good, and she said, yeah, it is good because you know, she had to study twice as hard.
Speaker 2: And it's true, there's this constant like, we have to know a lot more. There's a constant pressure to be great.
Speaker 1: The constant chatter of women, you say, the constant chatter of how women lead impedes them from leading and trying to be everything at once. Women are straight up exhausted. And I laughed reading that, but it's so true. They're straight up exhausted. So much of my mind share at work is dedicated to how I'm being perceived rather than what I'm actually doing. And I'm wondering what price women are paying for internalizing these conflicting demands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a really deep priced.
Speaker 4: So I think again, you and I are so strange because our work is very public facing.
Speaker 3: So what I found interesting was realizing how.
Speaker 4: That weight and that anxiety is showed by a lot of women who work at tech companies or you know, work at consulting groups where yeah, they may give up public presentation now and then, but it's not it's not really core or central to the work that they do.
Speaker 3: So like I.
Speaker 4: Thought of this one woman who, I mean, she just she was ascendant at her company.
Speaker 3: People just she was lauded for the fact that she.
Speaker 4: Delivered across the board constantly at some of the best numbers.
Speaker 3: Was in a line of.
Speaker 4: Work where there were metrics right where she could could really say, this person's delivering, And she got all of this feedback around lowering her voice, taking up more space, being more direct and tell as I spoke with her. I mean, part of it was in the story she was telling, but part of it was also and you know this becau when you interview people, there's sort of like a deep sigh that happens over and over again that tells you that someone is really going through it.
Speaker 3: She was going through it where it's like.
Speaker 4: Even though she had the title, even though she kept being promoted, this constant like, you're doing great, but how about if you sat like this? Or you're doing great, but how about if you started asking questions more. It's like it's just like a lot, and it feels like you can't actually focus on the work that you need to be focused on because you're being asked to focus so much on the style. And I think there are women who are able to say, this is the workplace, this is somebody else's opinion, and I am going to do what I need to do and move past it. And then there are women like me who really internalize it as an individual and personal flaw, not that we are doing something wrong, but that we are wrong. There's something intrinsic about us that is wrong and not working. And if we could fix ourselves, then we could fix the problem. And I think that is one of the bigger points that I want to get through with someone who loves Women in the Workplace books and like read so many Women in the Workplace books, is that the challenge of some of these which are built around this idea of learning how to survive in different environments. They will help you arguably survive, The question is will they help you thrive, Like, will you actually get to show up better.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, wait, will you say that again? I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that all of this Women in the Workplace book, A lot of the Women in the Workplace books, they give you the tools necessary to survive, and you may survive, but it is the question is can you thrive? And that in some ways, there's even research that finds that the more you've been exposed to these ideas, like the idea of leaning, in which I actually think there were many things about that book that were useful and helpful for a specific genre of person, that even being exposed to the ideas makes you feel that not only are women responsible for the problems and obstacles they run up against in the office, but that they are responsible for overcoming those obstacles, which makes us see everything as an individual problem as opposed to a system problem. And when you see think everything as an individual problem instead of a system problem, that's a great way of letting the.
Speaker 3: System off the whole.
Speaker 2: What role does appearance play in likability for women?
Speaker 3: Here's what I do know.
Speaker 4: I know that women are often evaluated based on their appearance, and that, for example, talking about a woman candidate and her appearance, whether you're saying she has the best hair and the most well tailored suits and she always looks lovely, or saying she's a sloppy mess.
Speaker 3: Just the fact that you.
Speaker 4: Are talking about her appearance ultimately leads to a demerit for women, right, that it changes the way that you're thinking about them, So you're not thinking about them in the context of their work or the context of their merits.
Speaker 3: You're thinking about them in this more superficial context.
Speaker 4: And that it is another one of those things where there's not really a foil for men, like in part because there's just not that much to say he combs his hair to the left or to the right, he wears a gray suit or a navy suit, Like, there's just not as much there. But just the fact that you're talking about a woman's appearance often is a distraction from the movement or self.
Speaker 1: It also seems like it's not what we value in men, so it really doesn't matter as much, and it's such a value that we place on women, and so it does have to play more of a role.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's also you know, one of the things that I think was easy to misinterpret about talking about likabilities, like of course, everyone has to do some performance at work. You know, no one's like rolling in exactly what the like energy. I mean, maybe some people are, but that is I don't think any.
Speaker 3: Of us see that as a path to success.
Speaker 4: We don't want people to be like a wildly unfiltered, inappropriate version of themselves. And there are certain standards that we hold people to, even things like what the appropriate attire is in your industry or in your office. So sure those those are baseline. I think what you're trying to do, though, is make sure that those baselines are as level and as even as possible. So you know, just as I could tell you like, oh don't care you do you and you don't care what anybody thinks about it, it's like I could also tell you to roll into the office and sweatpants, and you can see how that goes, but it's probably not the wisest course of action. But I suspect also that you're asking, as.
Speaker 3: I see you there fully jeged with.
Speaker 4: Incredible makeup, is that clearly there's an expectation that women ought to self present in a way where it shows that they have thought about their appearance. I think part of what your play also identifying. Is it swings in the other direction where when you have put a lot of time and effort, when your look is a part of your thing, that there's also a tendency to believe that that that person may not be as competent or have the hard skills because they have all of this other packaging.
Speaker 1: You know, I was actually thinking of it so much in terms of social media. You know, social media is a part of my work. It's part of your work. Some of my girlfriends who that isn't a part of their work still have this public, sort of performative persona. And it used to be that just like celebrities were that, or maybe even politicians chose that, and now everybody has this public persona. I don't know, it just it feels like social media is the woman's domain.
Speaker 4: It is, I mean, and the majority of users are, especially on something like Instagram, which is very esthetically oriented. I mean, that's it's a women's mostly women on the platform. And I think part of what makes we all know about the highlight reel. We all know that it's not real life, and yet it's so easy to be comparative and it's not just you know, there's like the like I, as a mom, feel a lot of the anxiety around like you're doing like sticker activities with your kids, Like am I ruining my kid by not teaching the math with sand like wild things? Or am I a bad mom because they didn't have that poster that says.
Speaker 3: Like, it's my first day of this. My favorite color is this. I want to be this.
Speaker 4: I'm like, she's gonna hate me when she's eighteen. But that there's also like, oh, this person's giving this keynote, or this person got a brand endorsement, or this person got employee of the month. They got employee of the month at a place you don't work, like, you do not need to stress about that. And so I think it is about the fact that it used to just be that you First, I keep saying office, and so a few of us are going into offices, not even just because of the pandemic, but because so many of us now work as freelancers or have consulting gigs and these more. But like, let's just use the office as the context, understanding that not all of us go into an office.
Speaker 3: You should just walk into the.
Speaker 4: Office, and you compare yourself to the twelve twenty two hundred people who worked in your office. I think part of the danger of the social media comparison as a professional is the possibility of comparing yourself to an infinite universe of people who are on different tracks and accomplishing different things, and being recognized at different levels, and feeling like if you were not doing the most, that you're not doing enough. And that, to me is where that becomes really tricky. Is that you have to be very clear with yourself about why you're on and who your peer group actually is, because otherwise, when you're like comparing your life to Chrissy Tiggins, and that's just not a helpful model for most of us.
Speaker 2: And also maybe the aphorism less is more sort of rings true.
Speaker 4: This I found to be very helpful, though I've not been good at putting it into action, which is the people who are happiest on those platforms are the people who actually actively use them to share. I am not a huge share, but I'm actually on those apps a lot, just sort of lurking, and that means that I am doing more consuming on them than I am doing producing, and that is not what you want to be doing, Like it would seem that the people who actively use them to put stuff out into the world and to engage, and less of their time mining other people's content, having much healthier relationship with them, which I think is sort of great, interesting and potentially counterintuitive, but.
Speaker 2: Makes a lot of sense. I really like that.
Speaker 1: I agree with I think scrolling is the enemy. Can we get out of the trap? Do you see it getting better?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think about this a lot because I have two little girls, and so I think about the fact that, first of all, I appreciate being realistic about it, Like I think that one piece of it is not imagining that I just will teach them to not care, and then they will go into the world to not care. My concern is raising two girls who don't care at all, and then I send them into a world that expects them to care. That's not setting them up for success, that's not setting them up to be themselves. What I actually need to do is reckon with the systems and the structure so that by the time that they are twenty two or you know, going into the workforce, that the workforce has actually changed in some really seismic ways. And so I think for those of us who identify as women.
Speaker 3: Part of that is being the leaders.
Speaker 4: We wanted and we needed, and not just replicating the leadership that we've seen before. I think it means being really good to each other, peer to peer, having some of those conversations, some of the language shifting that happens.
Speaker 3: Give me feel small, let me feel minute.
Speaker 4: I actually think that changes culture brick by brick by brick, having leadership inside of organizations understand that these things that are sometimes subtle are the most pernicious. That it's not always the things that are easy to walk into an HR meeting and say this happened, and it's very clear that it's a problem. It's a lot of things exist in that gray area, and you want to get comfortable grappling with the things that happen in that gray area. So yeah, and then I also think the more you see women in leadership positions and the more we normalize that, that itself is incredibly powerful and has the potential to change things. But like you, yourself is not the issue, right, Like that's that is the biggest thing, is like you, absolving yourself is a piece of it that is important for you, You and your personal self care that is not going to fix the problem at large.
Speaker 1: Since reading the book and identifying certain things, I've been trying to be the change Brick by Brick. I think it's possible the more we all sort of realize the unconscious bias we have because women have it too for other women. So the more we recognize.
Speaker 4: It, women have it for other women, and like parents who are parents have it for parents. White women have it for people of color. Like it moves in the number of directions and understanding it is part one and then calling it out as part two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to call it out. Okay.
Speaker 1: So these are three questions I ask people at the end of every interview. This is kind of a bookie podcast, a book that shifted your perspective, something you think everyone should read.
Speaker 4: Ooh, that is a good I'm like looking to see if I have it for a visual I don't have it because I'm surrounded by children's books.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Memo by Menda Hart is a really powerful book. So many of the books for women in the workplace assume that the woman who's reading it is white, and even I think it's almost even more important to read if you are a white woman, especially if you're a white woman who manages other people to understand what black women in particular are up against in the workforce, often the most ambitious and often the most undersponsored, under mentored, like they're just there is a gap between the ambition that black women have for themselves and the way that corporate America steps up to meet that ambition.
Speaker 3: So the memo mind heart, highly recommend.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that book.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read it, and it makes me think of the Viola Davis speech.
Speaker 2: I think it was a golden globe except of speech.
Speaker 1: I listen to it all the time and she says the only difference between white women and Black women is opportunity, and it's so true. So okay, read that book. The memo this is a PSQ. Sometimes I do a PSA where I speak on things, but this is the PSQ. So I pick a card at random.
Speaker 3: My hands are sweating watching you shuffle.
Speaker 1: That deck Ooh, this is kind of personal. Do you fall in love easily? If so, what is your love language?
Speaker 4: I definitely fall in love easily with my husband. I knew when I met him, totally loved that guy, even love him after a year of quarantine with two children, and my love language is acts of service one hundred percent, Like like, want to get me to love you, take out the trash, empty the dishwasher.
Speaker 3: I'm here for it. What is your love language?
Speaker 1: I need physical touch and words of affirmation.
Speaker 2: I want someone to tell me they love me.
Speaker 3: My husband is the words an affirmation person.
Speaker 4: And I try, but I'm like, you are nice, you are no, You're such.
Speaker 2: A beautiful vocabulary.
Speaker 1: I feel like you probably write him letters or something. You are so great with words.
Speaker 3: That's a whole other podcast.
Speaker 1: Last question, what is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 4: I don't know if it is the smartest decision I have ever made, But what is coming up for me is I knew that I wanted to be a mom and I also want to have a big career and a big life. And I worried for so long that having kids would mean that I would have to choose. And it is hard, it is not easy. It does complicate things. But I'm so glad I have them, and I'm so glad that I did not put it off thinking that there would come a moment of complete clarity where it made sense and where it was uncomplicated, because I don't know that that moment ever comes, and I think I would really personally have regretted it if I had had waited any longer than I did.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing that.
Speaker 1: The reason I started this podcast the idea I heard a quote from Gloria steinem It said. She said, the most feminist thing we can do is share honest stories. So much of my life has been expanded by other women being honest.
Speaker 2: Your book was so honest.
Speaker 1: That answer was so heartfelt and honest, and I'm really grateful. You're just You're a culture changer.
Speaker 4: You are so wonderful. Thank you so much for finding the book and for reading it. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have you'd be so thoughtful about it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to watch all that you do. I have a feeling this was just the first of many books.
Speaker 4: Birthday a book way harder for me than birthing anything else.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that girl.
Speaker 1: Alicia's book The Likability Trap is available online. Obviously, I highly recommend it, and you can also catch her reporting on MSNBC and on her podcast Latina to Latina. So navigating likability can feel like a minefield. I can't even tell you the amount of books I've bought over the years about how to best show up at work. Alicia even said she's bought so many of those books. I've been doing what I kind of think of as gender judo for years, and this is the first book that gave me real clarity. Maybe we're not the problem. Maybe the system's the problem. When men walk into the room, they're perceived as competent. When women walk into the room, they have to prove it. So what would happen if we tried to change the system, not ourselves,