Speaker 1: Social media's impact on teams under scrutiny, Costco recalls a popular phone charger. New tech lets anyone appear on a Times Square billboard, including me plus your tech questions answered.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: I'm Rich dmiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Once again, triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Give me a call.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to rich on tech dot tv and hit contact. By the way, if you want to link to anything I mentioned on today's show, just go to the website rich on tech dot tv. Hit the light bulb right at the top of the screen that will bring you to links in real time. Guests this week Ryan McLoud, creator of the Apple Design Award winning game black Box. Perhaps you perhaps you've played it on your iPhone and we've got Derek Ting, co founder and CEO of Text. Now he's gonna explain how you can get free calls, free messaging, and even free essential data on your smartphone. Plus I've got a special guest. Well, in case you can't notice, I am literally broadcasting live from my parents' basement in New Jersey. This has been a lifelong dream of mine and here we are. Well, I'm actually kind of visiting home and this was the best place. And I got to say, my dad really set this studio up. He had so much fun setting up all the cables and running them throughout the house and taping them down. He thought he was like a real gaffer. So if the show sounds good, if it works good, it is all thanks to him and the quick thinking of a door dash delivery. Now, my dad lives in the middle of nowhere in New Jersey, and we needed this cable that was like one hundred feet long, an Ethernet cable to run for the show. And I said, let me just see if DoorDash can bring this from Best Buy And sure enough, I'm not kidding. By the time I ordered it, it was at his door within forty five minutes. So once again technology comes through. It is just an incredible way to kind of It's just changed our lives in so many ways, even in the middle of nowhere. So thanks, not thanks to them, because I did pay for it, but I can't believe how well that worked now. You know, whenever I go home, I become the unofficial tech support for my family, as I'm sure some of you do for yours, And whenever I'm home, the challenges of technology are immediately clear to me. The stuff that you are up against on a daily basis becomes so clear to me that it just it immediately like resets my entire life. Just when I think I've made progress on this show, on my segment on KTLA for thirteen years now and running, it's all reset because I see that the work has just started. The dark patterns on the smartphones of these apps that try to get you to download stuff or to try to subscribe to things, or the stuff that's just not clear to anyone becomes very clear to me. So, for instance, I'm at a family gathering, I take a bunch of pictures on my phone, which happens to be an Android right now, and my sister, who has an iPhone, says, hey, can you share those with me? And that is sort of the ultimate, like, oh no, how am I going to do this? That is a moment that is make or break in the tech world right now, How are you gonna share pictures from an iPhone to an Android or an Android to an iPhone. Now, obviously the iPhone person does not want to download any extra apps. They don't want to do anything differently than what they typically do. And so I said, okay, let me try this quick share scan this QR code on my phone and it will give you a link to all these pictures. Oh, that didn't work because the pictures were ninety megabytes worth and I had limited connectivity. They were not uploading fast enough, so that didn't work. Okay, let me try Google Photos. Use Google Photos, right, She says yes, And I say, okay, I just sent them to you through Google Photos.
Speaker 2: She opens up the photos app on her phone.
Speaker 1: I said, that's not Google Photos, that's the that's Apple's Photos app.
Speaker 2: Let me open up Google Photos. I open up Google Photos, which she.
Speaker 1: Did have on our phone, and sure enough, it had never been opened on her new iPhone ever. So it started going through the motions of signing up and you know, getting everything up to speed. I said, okay, that's not gonna work either. So I don't know how I ended up sending them to her. I think I just used telegram. That was, you know, my first entree to you know, these tech issues that happened logging onto guest Wi Fi. So of course everyone is heightened about security at this point.
Speaker 2: So you go to someone's house.
Speaker 1: Some people may be fine about sharing their home Wi Fi with you. Others may be a little bit more hesitant to share that password, and for good reason, your device is getting onto their home network, which potentially could do bad things. So my advice number one, I do think you should have a guest network setup. So if you haven't set up a guest network on your Wi Fi router, please do that.
Speaker 2: It'll make it much easier.
Speaker 1: It'll make it much less awkward for when people want to join your Wi Fi because you can give out that password no problem.
Speaker 2: But here's what I recommend number one.
Speaker 1: Don't assume everyone has an iPhone in this world, so everyone's like, oh, just open up to the password thing and I'll share it through my iPhone. Not everyone can do that, especially if you're on iPhone and Android, so have a QR code that they can scan. So all you have to do is go to a website like QR dash Code dash generator dot com and they can generate a Wi Fi QR code for you. You can print out that QR code. It not only includes the password to your Wi Fi, but it's also a scannable QR code that phones when they see that QR code. No, I can just join this one without a lot of work. It's very easy. So if you don't have a QR code that you have printed in your house and posted on your fridge, please do that. It makes life a lot easier. Now when it comes to my dad's business. Okay, so he runs a small business like many people in America, and technology is always an issue because you know, you are good at your small business, your trade, whatever you do, but maybe technology does not come as easy to you as it does for maybe someone that is much more technology focused or a digital native. So my dad's been doing his trade, which happens to be roofing, for a very long time. He's very good at it. But he does these things called proposals and invoices. You know what those are, right, proposal estimate for the job invoice. You got to get paid for your job. Well, he's been using these pre printed invoices forever and proposals, which, of course, back in the day when he was using an old school computer and it had the software from the company that he bought the invoices from, it would fill everything in in a nice way. And back before then, by the way, it was a typewriter, which was really easy to fill in because you just move the typewriter to the part of the paper that you wanted to type on and you typed very easy. Well, nowadays he's still using that pre printed paper, which he likes because it looks professional. But he tries to type it out on his computer and like, I think it's Microsoft word or something like that, and he tries to align where he's typing on the proposal on his computer just by eyeballing it.
Speaker 2: So what does that mean.
Speaker 1: He's typing in a bunch of times, he's printing it out a bunch of times things are misaligned. I said, Dad, you can't do that anymore. We've got to get you in the twenty first century and make this easy because it'll save you a lot of time. So of course I embark on this journey while I'm trying to hang out with my family, while I'm trying to have conversations. So immediately I try to create him a new logo on Canva, which I did. He actually liked it, so I said, okay, you can use this. Then I just tried to make the form fillable on Adobe so he can just type everything in. I kind of scanned it all and Adobe kind of found the form fields that didn't work for some reason. It didn't get everything aligned. So I said, you know what, let's just make this from scratch, and so I made I took that new logo I made, I put it into Google Docs, and I retyped out the entire proposal. And I knew my dad was going to be particular about it because he has a certain way he likes things. But he said, you know what, I actually liked that. And we kind of cleaned up some of the wording that he's been using for thirty years, and I showed my dad how to fill it out. I saved it as a template on Google Docs, showed him how to make a copy of the template, fill it out, save it, and then we even emailed his first one through DOCU sign and I'm telling you he got the signature within a couple hours from the other person, and he was so impressed, and so was I. But here's my lesson that I learned. Even basic tech skills that you might take for granted, depending on your level of technology, can be confusing for the average person. So please have the heart of a teacher. Please explain this stuff to your friends and family in a very calm way. And it may take a while. It's not going to be immediate. So something like a right click, I said, hey, write click on that. Now he's got a laptop that of course, I gave him one of my old MacBook pros And he said, how do you write click when there's no button on the right And I said, that's a great question. Now for me, I just natively write click thousands of times a day without even thinking about how I write click. And I had to sit there and put my thumbs on the track pad and figure out, wait, how do I write click on here? And of course I figured it out and I showed him. And again it's those little things that you do and you take for granted that someone that's less tech savvy may not so when you hear about these people that fall for scams, you know, through the phone, or through a text or through a phishing link, and you say, how could anyone ever fall for that? This is how they're just regular people. That's what these scam artists take advantage of their good nature and the fact that they're not up on technology in every possible way like you and I are, or someone that knows about this. Now, I will tell you one thing that even tricked me. So I was downloading I wanted to print to his printer, which happened to be an HP printer. I have a similar printer at home. I know I use the HP Smart app to print. So I just said to my phone, you know, download the HP smart print smart app, and it came up with the first link on Google Play. I clicked it, downloaded it. I started opening it and wanted like all this weird access and I'm like, wait a second, hold on, did I just get scammed by downloading this bogus app?
Speaker 2: Even I can fall for this stuff.
Speaker 1: So if I can fall for anyone, can please be careful out there. There are a lot of things you need to know and a lot of things we need to teach to people, and that's what this show is all about, which is why I'm very excited to be here each and every week. All Right, I'm gonna tell you more about my trip here to New York City and New Jersey. I'll tell you how I ended up on a billboard in Times Square taking my kids on a hike, how TikTok changes that experience, and much much more. Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is Richdmiro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A rich.
Speaker 2: One oh one.
Speaker 1: That's eight eight eight seven four to two one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. You can also go to the website and send me a message. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv and hit the contact link up at the top. If you want to link to something I mentioned, you can hit the light bulb icon up at the top of the page. And yes, I am broadcasting live from New Jersey. That's why we have some great New Jersey artists singing on the show. Well, not live, but you know, there's songs, I guess. And also if you want to see highlights from my trip, I've been talking a lot about my trip to New York and New Jersey. I've got it all on my Instagram. So go to my instagram at rich on Tech. Check the highlights on the profile page and you can see all the fun stuff I did here, all the places I ate, all the place I stayed, all the things I did. And of course the theme is technology. I'm always telling you the coolest, best tech that I used throughout my trip, and I will talk about how I ended up on a New York City billboard as well. But first, let's take a call. Let's go to Tony in van Ey's. Tony in van.
Speaker 2: Eyes, you're on with rich Welcome to the show, Tony. You there.
Speaker 1: Oh, we gotta have so this Because it's a remote show, Bobo's got to actually bring up Tony and Van Eyes. So I don't know if that's ready to go yet. So let's be while we until Bobo tells me that we've got our caller. Okay, oh Tony here, can you hear me? I cannot hear Tony. Well, we thought we've done this before. There Hello, yeah, okay, there you go. Okay, great, I can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I feel like I've an entire ad campaign was built from that. What can I help you with?
Speaker 3: Tony Pleasure speaking with Geez, question about VPN on smartphone? Ah, what do you recommend? I have one, but sometimes it just goes out and I have to turn it back on and that's.
Speaker 2: An iPhone thing.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah, so okay, so here, Yeah, here's my recommendations on the The VPN, which by the way stands for virtual Private network. Uh, this sort of creates an encrypted tunnel if you want to use the Internet a little bit more private privately, I guess private focused. So if you, for instance, don't want anyone to be able to see what you're doing, or you don't want your ISP or your wireless carrier, it makes the connection between you and the servers a little bit more private. Now I say a little bit more because people would argue that you know, nothing is one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But with that said, the.
Speaker 1: iPhone, by the way, has a has a history of turning off VPNs every so often, so as far as I've seen now, these VPN apps try to turn it back on, but it doesn't always work. So if you are using a VPN on iPhone, uh, sometimes it just toggles off and you have to go back in and toggle it back on. Or the app might have a setting for a persistent connection. But I don't think you need a VPN all the time. So Number one, when do you need to use a VPN? If you ever want to protect your browsing history, or you want to get access to a block site. So for instance, if you're in China or another country that may not allow you to access a certain site, you might want to use a VPN. Like I said, it can also help you protect yourself. So if you want to use say the public Wi Fi at a hotel or a library, but you want to access something that's a little bit more sensitive or something that is like your financial information, you'd probably want to use a VPN. So what do you want to look for? Number one A no log VPN. These are VPNs that promise not to keep your user data. Typically you want to look for an independent audit to verify those privacy claims. And you have to understand that a VPN can slow down your Internet connection, so it may not be as fast as a direct connection. On your phone, and if you're looking for the different protocols that they have, there's a couple of them. Wire Guard is the one that you want. It's just I think it's a little bit more modern. That's the one that you want to look for. So how do you choose a VPN? So you want a VPN that works across various devices. Free VPNs typically not so great. Historically, there are lots of companies that promise free VPN. You know, you can try one of those, but you know it may not tick all of these boxes that I'm talking about. So let me see this Proton vpn. I think they offer a free level of VPN. So yeah, so Proton, if you want one that's free, that's pretty very trusted. If you go to protonvpn dot com, they have a free level. You get one device, no ads, no logs, unlimited and free forever and that works across various various devices. So obviously there's probably some sort of catch that that they have on that free plan, and it looks like it's because it's limited to just one device at a time, But that is an option for a free VPN. Some of the other things to look for if you're purchasing a VPN, like on a paid program, you want one that works across multiple devices, so you can use it on both your iPhone but also an Android, also a computer. Multiple server locations. Sometimes you want to spoof where you are, so you say, you know they have server locations in various places, obviously no bandwidth caps, and you're probably gonna pay anywhere from five to ten dollars a month. Some of the trusted brands in the past that I've talked about on KTLA include molvad, surf Shark, IPVN, and tunnel Bear.
Speaker 2: So those are some of the.
Speaker 1: Brands that you need to look into, but again, pick one that works for you. Great question. Thanks for the call. Eighty to eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show Rich on tech dot TV. Coming up so much to talk about uh AT and T is raising prices. I've got a recall that a power device that was sold at costco a portable charger, So if you've bought one of those, you want to stay tuned. And of course coming up, I will tell the story of how I ended up on that New York City Billboard.
Speaker 2: It is pretty wild. My name is Rich d'miro.
Speaker 1: You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple A Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Give me a call.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about technology, you can also go to the website and send me a message. Just go to that same website rich on Tech dot TV and hit the light bulb icon and that will bring you to it. We just played my Chemical Romance. They are from Newark, New Jersey. That is where I've flown into more times than I can tell you. I can't tell you because I use an app called Flighty, which keeps track of all of the different flights that you've taken, and it's pretty incredible. So it told me that I have spent I think, like, I don't know, I don't want to miss quote here. I think it was like one hundred and fourteen thousand hours in the air flying to New Jersey. Now that's just the ones that the flights that it found. I'm sure there are many more. But yes, I've been flying back and forth between LA and New Jersey for many many years now. On that note, Sarah from Los Angeles writes in Rich, sounding good from New Jersey, I'm glad you had that experience with your dad and had to write click, which, by the way, you didn't explain. I'm sure it's frustrating with some questions that have you thinking, wait.
Speaker 2: You don't know how to do that, But you're one of.
Speaker 1: The only resources for super basic questions, so please try to remember that some people need very simple explanations.
Speaker 2: Thanks Sarah.
Speaker 1: That is a good reminder, and I do try to make things simple, but yeah, I do have to remember that even some of the most basic things don't come easy to everyone. So by the way to write click, I did figure it out. It is two fingers on my truck pad. It took me a while to kind of figure out what my motion was, but yes, two fingers. That's just one way to write click. I'm sure there are many others on the mac.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Thomas in Carlsbad, California. Thomas in Carlsbad at California, Line one.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rich, good afternoon. Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 5: Rich. I'm on an old school, AT and T hookup WI took an Internet table to my router my Wi Fi connections in the house. Given their system is terrible to get things to work, I want to disable their router and put in a new mesh system. Any advice in the pass through looks like something I'm not quite capable of handling.
Speaker 2: And what do you mean past So they.
Speaker 5: Talked about use that router, Oh right, right, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you have to go on a pass through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and okay, So I when I set mine up.
Speaker 1: It's been a while since I set mine up, but I remember there's a lot I put a lot of thought into that. The idea is that there's that AT and T is handling the routing of the network. So what they want you to do is disable their kind of router and use the Well, what I use is EO E E R O and that will handle all of the routing. Now, as far as I remember, and like I said, it's been a while since I actually set this up, so I need to remember if I actually did that or not. But as far as I know, I'm pretty sure I just plugged my ERO into the back of the UH into the back of the AT and T router and just let it go. But the pass through if you need to change that or toggle that off, you will find that in the settings on the AT and T device. Now, turning off the Wi Fi is very very easy. So on pretty much every router from like a cable company or wherever you get your Internet from, you know, they give you that box. And nowadays these boxes include both a router which takes that Internet signal and kind of helps figure out where to route things throughout your home. So if you go to a website on your computer, that router will get that information, it will send it back to AT and T or whoever your ISP is, and it will get that website for you, and it will give you that information. But when you're using your own system, and by the way, most of these modern systems that they're giving you include Wi Fi, so that Wi Fi, that same box that's also a router also serves as your Wi Fi hub and that it emanates this Wi Fi connection that you know, sends a signal throughout your house. Now, typically these have been pretty low powered in the past. Nowadays, I've seen a lot of these companies are actually upgrading to more you know, even a mesh network. Sometimes, like some of these companies, you can even ask for a little satellite mesh network, you know, like an extra router or an access point they're called, and they can give them to you as well.
Speaker 2: But I say skip all that.
Speaker 1: Go get yourself an euro E E R O system or an ORB. There's so many different brands that are out there that are all pretty good, but you know, those are two that I really like. And once you plug it in, it will it will guide you through the setup. And the main thing that you want to do is is definitely turn off the Wi Fi that emanates out of that router box that the cable company supplies you. That way you don't have two competing Wi Fi signals throughout your house. And again what I was saying is that the on the bottom of these boxes there's usually a place where you can log into the box and change some settings. Now, before you do that, just be warned that, you know, there are a lot of settings and they're not very easy to kind of figure out. Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not, so just beware when you go in there that it may take you know, like, just be informed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The other thing is you may not have access to your computer during this time because you're gonna be accessing the router itself, and you need to usually plug in your computer directly hardlined to that box because you're gonna be changing settings on that box. It's gonna restart, it's gonna be doing some things. So you want a hard connection because if you're not hardwired, as soon as you turn off that Wi Fi on that cable box, your computer's gonna have no Internet connection. So you need to keep all these things in mind before you go and change stuff. But when it comes to the access point, I feel like and I really need to kind of school myself in this and see if I actually change those settings since it's been so long. But there are some settings where you can set it up as a pass through, and that means that the router is saying they're putting their hands up on your router and saying, you know what, We're not doing anything. We're gonna let your new euro handle everything on your network, and we're literally just going to be a cable modem that takes the signal in and we're gonna give give that signal to your Eero, and Ero's gonna serve as both the router and also the Wi Fi and so that's what they're saying when they talk about that pass through mode. Other than that, it's very easy to set up. Most people are just plugging these things into the back of their cable router and it's pretty much plug and play, and the app is where it will log you in and get you through everything that you need to know about how to set this thing up. But again, I would check out EURO, I would check out ORB and make sure you have a cable physical cable that you can connect your router. And the password and user name is usually printed on the bottom of your router as well as the log in which is typically something like a one nine to two dot one six eight number.
Speaker 2: So if you see that, you type.
Speaker 1: That into your web browser and you log in with the username and password that's on the bottom of your router, that will give you access to these settings on that black box that sits under your TV.
Speaker 2: Just be careful. You can always reset it back to the factory.
Speaker 1: There's probably a little pinhole that you can push a paper clip in. If you really mess things up, you can always get it back to the factory. Good question, and yes, get that Mesh network, because it really does make a difference. You will get a signal that's throughout your house. So the way the Mesh network works is that it takes that one signal that you're getting from your router box now it's the EURO and it sends it throughout your home by using these access points that are additionally located throughout your house. You've got the one box under your TV. Now that's the signal coming in from the cable company that goes into your ERO, and then the EERO takes that signal and kind of boomerangs it around your house through the use of these little access points that you place in locations.
Speaker 2: Throughout your house.
Speaker 1: So they all work together to blanket your home in Wi Fi versus just imagine one little box that's under your TV. It's crowded under there. The signal is being blocked in a million different ways, and that signal does not make its way throughout your house. These eros and the similar systems have figured out a way to kind of tune each other specifically to carry that Wi Fi signal and manage it throughout your house, and that's why the signal works better. And of course over the years I've been using this since day one. We actually had Nick Weaver, the one of the I think he was the creator of Ero. He kind of came up with this whole concept and made it commercial. He came to KTLA to do an interview, and I'm not gonna joke. He was very seem very young at the time. I said, you created this new technology and he said, yeah, and it kind of revolutionized how we access Wi Fi in our homes. It's because it's gotten so much better thanks to what he did with this idea of a mesh network. So anyway, that is what I think you need. I think it'll help and I think it'll be a lot better. All right, thanks for the question. Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I promised you the story about how I got on the Wi Fi billboard.
Speaker 6: In New York City.
Speaker 2: I will tell you that.
Speaker 1: Story coming up right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eighty eight seven.
Speaker 2: Four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: So this week I've been hanging out in New Jersey and New York visiting some family, doing some things, and we stayed at this hotel in Times Square that turned out to have this like incredible view of Times Square, Like it's literally at the top of Times Squares, so you have the view of the entire square, which we didn't realize until we went to breakfast and wow, oh my gosh, what this is. This is wild. So it took us a bit to figure this out too. We saw the billboards obviously in Times Square, but one of them, after like seeing it cycle through the billboard probably one hundred and fifty times, I realized I was like, wait a second. It said something about you can download an app and be on the billboard, and so I said, that's kind of interesting. An eighteen thousand square foot billboard at the corner of forty seventh Street and Seventh av in Time Square, about four hundred thousand people see it daily. And you download this app called the TSX app, and you upload a picture, you type in some text whatever you want, or you can upload some video and next thing you know, you pay a couple of bucks and your video or clip or whatever shows up on this billboard in Times Square. And so I said, well, of course, I have to do this as the tech guy, right. I got to figure out how this works and if it really does work, and how cool it is. So I just took one of the pictures that we took on our trip and it uploaded to the app. I typed in New York City twenty twenty four at rich On Tech and it had some rules as to what you can do, what you could say on the billboard. Social media handles are allowed, things like QR codes and URLs are not allowed. And once you upload it, you pick your time where it's gonna appear on the billboard. I picked like seven to fifteen PM, and you pay forty dollars and of course they took Apple pay or Google pay, so it was very easy to do the entire process. I would say it took me less than a minute. And then someone, obviously a human has to approve what you're doing, because you know, they don't want you to put something up there that's you know, bad, And so it was approved and next thing you know, it said, okay, your time is seven fifteen pm. Seven fifteen is seven to seventeen. So we sat there in the restaurant at the hotel, all of us and we watched our pictures show up on this billboard in Time Square for fifteen seconds, and I got to say, what a smart business. By the way, this could be replicated anywhere that there is a large group of people. And I'm sure this is just the first of its kind, but this is a very very smart business. I paid forty dollars to have my billboard up in Times Square for fifteen seconds. And by the way, if you want to see it, you can check out my Twitter at rich on Tech. I posted the picture of me looking at the picture. I'll also put it on my Instagram at rich on Tech. But I thought this was such a smart idea.
Speaker 2: The amount of.
Speaker 1: Money that they make from these fifteen second clips throughout the day is probably incredible and throughout the year, and it's just a billboard that makes money in New York City. Of course, all billboards make money because they're showing ads, but the fact that this one shows user generated ads is just really really cool. So again, the app is TSX, and I guess it's TSX Entertainment is the company that came up with this brilliant idea. We had a lot of fun, and you know, you saw other people doing it as well. So it's kind of cool to see yourself on a billboard in New York City. And now I can say I've done that all right. Eighty to eight, rich one, oh one, let's take a call here. Let's go to line one. That is Nicole in Los Angeles. Nicole in Los Angeles. You are on with.
Speaker 7: Rich Hi, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, what can I help you?
Speaker 7: With my Apple MacBook Pro to adath and with display or doesn't work. I can't get an image. And when I took it back to Apple, they said it was going to toss around to hundred dollars. And I purchased this lab.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I was going to say six hundred bucks. That's how much it costs me. When I got my uh my kid threw a toy at my computer screen and cracked it, and uh, six hundred bucks the price.
Speaker 2: So go ahead. What's your question whether you should got a new one, should I.
Speaker 7: Get a new one and my or should I fix it? Or I'm also thinking about getting a Samsung laptop because I didn't use all the all the features that the MacBook Pro had to offer. I'm just not that kind of a.
Speaker 8: User, it's really just for my leisure. It being a lot of online search emails, that's about the extent of it. I do open up a lot of pages, a lot of web pages all at once, and that's it.
Speaker 7: I'm not editing. I'm not looking at videos. I don't really watch TV.
Speaker 1: What do you like about the What do you like about the Samsung versus the like? Are you not liking the MacBook anymore? Do you not like gample?
Speaker 7: Really? An Android user, I have a fan stung tone, so I kind of like that idea that it's you know, working together. I have STANSTUNGD appliances. But I do have some Apple products, like I have an iPad that I love. You know, I didn't like my MacBook Pro, but again I didn't use already had to offer me, which was fine. I was okay with that, but now that it's broken, I don't necessarily want to pay that price bag again.
Speaker 1: So I hear you, well, look, I mean I see this in two ways. Number one six hundred dollars solves your problem for another couple of years.
Speaker 2: So that's what I end up doing.
Speaker 1: Because of course, anytime you have a repair, you think, do I get a new one, do I you know?
Speaker 2: Or do I pay for this?
Speaker 1: So a new computer is going to cost you easily one thousand bucks, right, but it's going to last you at least, you know, four or five six years from today. For that amount of money, the six hundred dollars you're going to spend is going to last you at least. I would say, I'm looking at the Mac os Sequoia because that's how I go by how long your Mac is going to be supported?
Speaker 2: What your Mac?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 4: I've purchased it.
Speaker 1: A little bit, so it's probably probably a twenty nineteen MacBook pro Sequoia is going to be compatible with a twenty eighteen and later. That tells me that you're probably going to get at least two more years of software updates from Apple on this computer, So that three hundred dollars divided by two at a six hundred divided by two is three hundred dollars for the next two years. So I would probably lean towards just repairing this because you've got at least two more years out of it. And then, by the way, it's still worth something that you can sell it for even if it's one hundred dollars or something, versus the new Mac versus the new Samsung, which, by the way, I will tell you if you have a Samsung phone, I've been testing their Samsung their new Galaxy books, and it is amazing. Like you take a picture on your Samsung phone, it immediately shows up on your Windows computer because it's all in sync like the the just the way the iPhone works with the Max, the Samsung phones work with these Samsung Galaxy Books.
Speaker 2: So if you really.
Speaker 1: Want that and you're trying to go for a change, then you know, I say go for the new Galaxy Book. But if you just want to spend the six hundred dollars, be done. Your computer, you know, is good to go. You've already had it, you're comfortable with it. Maybe you want to just plan a little bit more because we're just seeing these new AI computers come out, so it might be best to maybe wait one cycle on those because I'm all brand new right now. So maybe in the next two years, you just kind of plan for this new Galaxy PC.
Speaker 7: Okay, I like that. Yeah, I I'll have a problem. Yeah it actually makes sense.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: Just make sure you if you can back up your computer before you send it in, because they may have to wipe the drive in the process of replacing that screen or whatever they do in the repair, So just be aware that you may lose data and if you can't see the screen, you're going to have to figure out a way to mirror the screen or connect your computer to a like a TV screen or something to see the screen while you secure every thing and get.
Speaker 2: Everything backed up there. All right, thanks so much for the call.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we got lots more of rich on Tech. I'll tell you about a recall on a portable chargers sold at Costco.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple A rich.
Speaker 2: One oh one.
Speaker 1: That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show is richon Tech dot tv. If you want to send me an email, you can do it there by hitting contact, or if you want to link to something I mentioned on the show, just hit the light bulb icon. Coming up in this hour, We've got a lot we've got a special guest. The special guest is later on. We've got a guest that is a Apple Design Award winning game creator black Box. Don't know if you've played it on your iPhone. We will talk to Ryan McLoud about that, and later on we'll talk to Derek Ting, co founder and CEO of text Now about how you can get free calling and texting on your smartphone and even free data now. If you bought one of these portable chargers at Costco in the last couple of years, you might want to return it. My charge is recalling five hundred and sixty seven thousand power Hub portable chargers due to fire risk. This is a ten thousand million amp hour portable charger. They got a couple of models affected. There is it's basically a it's tough to read on the radio here, but a zero ten or AO ten FK, Dash A, Dash B and Dash C. These can overheat while charging, posing a fire and risk burn. They were sold at Costco from January twenty twenty two to November twenty twenty three. They cost about forty dollars. You can get a free replacement. So far, there's been one hundred and twenty reports of overheating, including two residential fires with one hundred sixty five dollars reported in property damage. Plus a bunch of these were returned to Costco mentioning various issues. So immediately stop and contact my charge for a replacement. I will put the information on the website rich on tech dot TV. Meanwhile, another week, another price hike, AT and T raising prices on older unlimited plans starting in August. I'm telling you, all these price hikes are pushing people to the mv and os mobile virtual network operators like the Mint Mobiles of the world, and the Tings, all these different companies, the Tellos, the let's see what's the other one. I like, there's just so many of them mobile X. I mean, it's just that people are noticing that their costs are no longer fixed. When you've got a streaming service or your cell phone built.
Speaker 2: It just keeps going up.
Speaker 1: AT and T increasing prices on older unlimited plans according to c NEET, starting in August ten dollars a month for single lines, twenty dollars a month for multiple lines. That is significant. Affective plans include various AT and T unlimited options. You can check the cnet article for all of the the plans. Now AT and T is doing something kind of nice. They are going to increase your high speed hot Spot data allowances on these plans. So if you had thirty gigabytes, now you're getting seventy five. If you had sixty gigabytes of hot Spot, now you're getting one hundred. But again, this is the second price hike by AT and T. They raised prices on their newer plans by ninety nine cents earlier this year. So again, lots of price hikes come in your way from all of these services.
Speaker 2: All right, eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Martin In at Anza California line too. Martin, you are on with Rich Martin?
Speaker 2: Can I help?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 4: Rich? Thanks? Look taking my call. I was wondering I have an iPhone seven ass and evidently Apples quit updating and supporting this up the fifteen point eight point two or something, So it is just it's an obsolete phone.
Speaker 1: Uh is it an obsolete phone? Well, I mean you can still use it for other stuff. I mean, look, the phone is not going to stop working. It's just not getting software updates, and some of the apps are just going to start barking at.
Speaker 4: You right right, No security updates, no nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is the problem. I'm trying to scroll through the list and see what's supported here. Yeah, so the latest software supports the iPhone ten are and up. So if you're looking at the iPhone seven, you're talking iPhone seven, iPhone eight. There was no iPhone nine. Not going to get tripped up on that one again if you've listened to the Phone the Show for a long time. So we went iPhone seven, iPhone eight. So the reality is this phone is already a couple of years out of service. I would say it's probably time to get a new one. Yes, you can still use it, but you are putting yourself at risk. You can trade this phone in, you can sell it. There's a website like gizmo Go that I like. You might get a couple of bucks for this. You can also turn it into a security camera. A lot of people like to do that with their old phones. You know, you can download some software and turn it into a security camera. That might be an option, but otherwise I think I think it's time for a new phone. This is this how long do you have this phone?
Speaker 4: I bought it in twenty eighteen, so it's six years. Is that about the life spanities?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: In fact, yeah, so on the iPhone side, the lifespan published is officially about five years. Traditionally, Apple has supported their phones for about six years on the dot. Now when it comes to the Android side of things, the trend that we're seeing there is seven years. So will Apple do seven years? I'm not sure, but Apple has been really good. I know there's a lot of conspiracy theories out there that Apple tries to put these software updates out there just to ruin your phone. I don't think that's the case. I think that software is getting better and better and better. It requires more horsepower. And if everyone's using an iPhone seven, that's putting them at risk of you know, viruses and malware and all kinds of different things, you know, phishing attempts, all that stuff happening on their phone. If people are if a lot of people are using that, what happens then the experience of using that device dwindles and people start complaining to Apple. So I think, you know, five six years is a pretty reasonable clip for a phone. If you do the math on those things. So, Martin, what do you what are you thinking about getting?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm thinking of going backwards. Do you know anything about the Nokia twenty seven twenty or twenty seven eighty flip phones.
Speaker 1: I know that a lot of people are starting to use them, and I have no problem with you going backwards as well. If you're not using the smart features on this phone, why not. Your battery is going to last a long time. The phone's going to cost you under one hundred dollars, and you know you'll still be able to text, but it's just going to take you a lot longer to text on that phone. But that's the major downside. But otherwise, don't retired.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm at home, I'm on why Fi. I got like I have, okay, twenty five dollars a month after the discounts from Verizon for a five gigabyte plan and that's all I need. I don't use three two streak gigga guy by in a month on just the outside, you know, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it sounds to me, It sounds to me like you just want to be connected and all you need is that phone line, maybe a text or two occasionally you're not surfing YouTube on there, you're not surfing the web on your phone. But yeah, I think that the only thing is you just have to figure out if that Nokia is compatible with your Verizon network.
Speaker 4: That's the only thing you'll have to I know the twenty seven twenty is. But did you have a add or some them for dumb Wireless a while back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, we did a segment with them on kJ.
Speaker 4: Twenty that I could get through from them from Verizon or go just down to the Verizon store to Meca and get to twenty seven twenty. So you know, that's what I probably do in the meantime until the next sc comes out, hopefully next year. What is that to be the fourth generation?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Actually, uh, let's see, I was just looking this up the iPhone SE. There's there's a new rumor about when it's coming out, and the website that I typically go to is mac Rumors Buyer's Guide, and if you go there, let's see what the rumor is on the SE. So it's been eight hundred and thirty seven days since they came out with an iPhone SE. Again, this is the only iPhone remaining that has that fingerprint reader on it, you know, the little touch ID kind of thing. And the rumor says that the iPhone SE with face oh with face ID, oh no, they're going to get rid of that thing, is going to be under five hundred dollars and the launch is supposed to be according to mac rumors, let's see here. Oh, according to the information that mac Rumors is quoting, let's see design similar to iPhone fourteen is going to come out in spring of twenty twenty five, so you still got a while.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 4: That's always. They're going to get rid of the home button at the bottom of the of the phone like on the cheven Ass.
Speaker 2: That's what they're saying here.
Speaker 1: If this rumor is accurate, the iPhone SE would finally gain face ID in a notch instead of touch ID and a home button. So uh, that will probably be Apple's least expensive phone when it launches.
Speaker 4: But yeah, they're saying like fourne or something. So what's that mean? Senior edition or.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I can't it's been so long since that launched. I can't remember what officially stood for. I'm not even sure it stood for anything. I think the rumor was like simple addition, but yeah, you can. You can coin it senior editions. I know a lot of people like that, like that simplicity of the phone. So Martin, thanks so much for the call today. I really appreciate it. And you know, upgrade to the downgrade. Why not, right, get that flip phone and make life a little bit simpler. That's a great thing. Speaking of phones, I have been using a five hundred dollars phone throughout my week here in New York City and New Jersey. It's the Pixel eight A from Google. And I'm telling you, I challenged myself. I said, you know what, I recommended this thing on Katiela. I'm going to use it as my only phone for a couple of days throughout the city. And sure enough, I am so impressed with this phone. It does everything you need for five hundred dollars and it's really good. And by the way, so far we have not seen a substantial price drop on this phone. It hasn't gone on sale in a big way just yet, but I still fully expected to go on sale for anywhere between three hundred and fifty four hundred and fifty three hundred and fifty four.
Speaker 2: Hundred fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking for a really good phone at a very inexpensive price, I really still like the Pixel eight A.
Speaker 2: Check out my instagram at rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: All the pictures you see there, a majority of them were taken with this Pixel eight A. More rich On Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology, you can also email me. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv hit contact. Noel wrote me and said, if you really flew one hundred and fourteen thousand hours between Lax and Newark, that's twenty thousand flights at an average of six hours each way. That's a lot of flights. Don't get me started on the radiation. So my math was a little bit wrong. I looked up in my flighty app to see what it actually is, and flight time about three hundred and three hours.
Speaker 2: That's one way.
Speaker 1: So if you double that, maybe about six hundred hours distance one hundred and forty five thousand miles so times two three hundred thousand miles. So yes, I've flown between Newark and Los Angeles many times since I moved to LA for college. And this Flighty app, now, it's not I don't think it's one hundred percent accurate because sometimes it loops in like friends and family members flights that might they might have emailed me. But again, it's a lot and it's a cool app. It's a really neat app that will kind of tally up all of your flying and it finds even your old flights too, So if you want to download it, it's only on iOS, but it is called Flighty fli gh t y. It is really the best app for flying period. It doesn't book your flights, it doesn't do anything like that. It just helps you track your flights, get on them on time, see your baggages, get heads up on delays before they even happen. It is and it's all done in a very beautiful way. So check it out. Flighty is the is the app f l i g h t Y. There is a premium upgrade. If you fly a lot, then you might want to look into that. Otherwise you can use it for free. Check it out. You won't get all of the features for free, but it's still great. All right, let's go to line. Let's see here. Where are we Let's go to himI in Torrance, Line one. himI, you're on with.
Speaker 9: Rich Can I call?
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome to the show. What can I help you with?
Speaker 9: Well, a few months ago you mentioned Q like I won't charge your and UH for traveling for travel, but I have stated why, and now I need it. I was wondering if you have something similar or something better or the same ones you can't recommend.
Speaker 1: Well, are you trying to Are you trying to charge iPhones? Apple stuff or Android? No?
Speaker 4: Apple?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think.
Speaker 1: What you're referring to is the Mofi three and one travel charger with mag Safe. So it's kind of expensive. It's one hundred and fifty dollars. There may be a cheaper price available if this was a couple months ago that I mentioned it. But what I love about this is that it's simple. It charges your iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods all at the same time. It comes in this fabric case. Everything fits in there. It charges the iPhone wirelessly at the maximum speed. But it's it's expensive. The other ones I mentioned, twelve South has one called Butterfly, and this is a two in one charger. So this this will charge two items at once. It will charge an iPhone in an Apple Watch. It will also charge AirPods if you have the wireless charging case, but it just won't do them at the same time.
Speaker 2: You can only choose two items to charge it once.
Speaker 9: That one also the first one.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry Mophy M p h I E and so I will.
Speaker 1: I will link these up on the website as well, so you can go to rich on tech dot tv as soon as I'm as soon as I'm done here, and I will link them up as well. So the other one I mentioned was the twelve South and that one is called the Butterfly, and the twelve South Butterfly is a two in one charger. That one's one hundred and thirty dollars and again it will charge those things. It will charge everything you need, it just may not do three that well, won't do three at the same time. That also comes with four wall adapters, so if you are traveling internationally, that's kind of nice because those are all in the box. Another one I mentioned is the STM Goods Charge Tree mag Now, this one's the cheapest out of the bunch. It's one hundred dollars and I love this thing. It charges all three at once. I used to use the old version. This is the new version that has mag Safe, which means pretty much all the modern iPhones or many of the modern iPhones have that magnet ring on the back that will help this to charge very easily and line it up properly and all that good stuff. But this one folds up. It's super compact. Again, it's one hundred dollars, so it's the cheapest of the bunch. But the trick here is that it does not come with a wall adapter, so that is sold separately, or maybe you have one at home. You need one that's at least twenty watts to get the full charging capacity out of this device. Again, that one is called the STM Goods Charge Tree mag and that's one hundred dollars and I've been carrying around for a while now. I really love this one because it solves the problem of I don't need an extra charger for my Apple Watch. It's called the Belkan Boost Charge Pro. Now it is pricey, it's one hundred dollars, but it's a it does a couple of things really well. Number one, it's a ten thousand portable battery pack, So that means when you're on the go, you can just plug your phone into this device and it will charge your phone. But it also has a built it's in Apple Watch charger on it, so you never need to bring a separate cable to charge your Apple Watch. Apple has a very proprietary cable for the Apple Watch. It's annoying if you travel a lot, you got to bring it everywhere. This boost charge pro means you only have to carry one device, a portable charger, which by the way, I recommend everyone carry anyway, and you also have your Apple Watch charger so when I get to my hotel room. So when I'm on the plane, I charge my phone with the battery bank. Then when I get to a hotel room, I charge the battery bank by plugging it in, and then I just put my Apple Watch on top. So everything gets charged up and it's one less thing to carry and it's really really convenient. Again, I will link all of these up on the website. Rich on tech dot TV hit the light Bulb. That's where you'll find the show notes. This week's show is show number seventy seven. So if you want to find links to anything I mentioned here, I just said someone email about the Times Square app.
Speaker 2: You can find the link on the website as well.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up, we're gonna talk to Ryan McLoud, creator of the the app called black Box. This is a puzzle game for the iPhone that's coming up right here on rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: We are talking with winners of Apple's Design Awards at WWDC twenty twenty four. This is Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. These are the apps and games recognized for their excellence in design and technical achievement. Joining me now is Ryan McLoud. He has created an app called black Box. This was originally available on the iPhone. Now it is on Apple Vision Pro. It got the award for Spatial Computing. Thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much. This is so cool.
Speaker 2: So explain what the black Box game is?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it depends where you're talking about it. It started as a game for iOS collection of over forty now over eighty puzzles that don't involve touching the screen and has sort of evolved to the Vision Os to be this spatial concept of puzzles that kind of enter the room and you have to sort of take your curiosity and figure out how to solve them.
Speaker 1: So what made you come up with this game? Because you said you've been doing it for this came out many years ago ocasionally.
Speaker 6: Yeah, over eight years now, okay.
Speaker 1: So what were you doing and then all of a sudden you said, okay, I'm making this game.
Speaker 10: I think there was a long period of getting frustrated kind of how it felt to me that people weren't taking advantage of the full potential of iPhone iPad and using the full context sensor platform that was there. There's so much there to kind of understand your world and make better experiences based on that, not just something that can exist under any slab of multi touch glass, so to speak.
Speaker 1: So it's a game that takes advantage of the different sensors and things on the iPhone. Explain that a little bit, because it's kind of tough to it is. When you see it, you understand, but when you're visually representing it, it's tough. It's like you might turn your phone on its side and that might solve.
Speaker 6: A yeah, exactly.
Speaker 10: It really tries to turn things on its head immediately, Like touching the screen is kind of discouraged and sends you back to the main menu.
Speaker 6: Right, So it's really.
Speaker 10: The goal is to get people thinking outside the phone and in their world. Whether that sends you on a hike or sends you looking for a musical instrument, it's really all over the place. But to get people thinking really critically. There isn't just something that you learn as a skill like an arcade game and get good at. Once you solve one, the next one is completely different, and people are better and worse at different ones. It's really interesting. We're all very different in that way.
Speaker 1: How many games did you launch with on the iPhone and how many are you up to?
Speaker 10: I think I launched with somewhere around forty two and now it's up to eighty one at eight years later.
Speaker 6: Yeah, twelve million players.
Speaker 10: Now it's kind of has a cult viral status. Certain people have done a lot of crazy things trying to play Black Box.
Speaker 1: So you had this idea in your head, you did it, and you had twelve million people play your idea. How does that make you feel?
Speaker 6: It's wild?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's it's I get so many stories constantly from people and the places that's taken them, and it's yeah, it's just a privilege. It's fun to share something that I wanted to play and wanted to exist, and to see that touch so many other people that feel the same way.
Speaker 1: Who do you think this type of game appeals to.
Speaker 10: A lot of people that play it and love it. Tell me they're like, I don't I don't play games, but like I love black Box.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: It's like, you know, there's nothing wrong with being a game, But I think.
Speaker 6: The kind of person who loves.
Speaker 10: Easter eggs and loves surprises and loves kind of is curious to check things out and figure out how they work and take something apart put it back together, or just someone that likes, you know, the kind of art that's at a gallery that you want to touch.
Speaker 6: You should be able to touch, but you're not allowed to here.
Speaker 10: You know, you can't touch the screen, but try everything else, you know, Lock your phone in a box, put it under a pillow, go walk outside.
Speaker 1: So you won the award for Spatial Computing. You brought this to Apple Vision Pro. Yeah, what made you want to bring into Apple Vision Pro and what was the new challenge of bringing this type of game to that headset.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I wouldn't even say I brought the game to the headset, so to speak. I really stripped the concept down back to its essence, not even on a phone, and had to grow it back onto this sort of thing into your space. It was always an interesting idea to have black Box be more physical, I think, but there just wasn't the means to do so, so it had always been kind of reduced to this two D plane. It was really fun once I had tried vision pro to think of how would these things exist? And I really didn't want it to feel like puzzle Box, or like some sort of puzzle creator had locked you in a room and you were escaping or something like that. Those are fine experiences, but I wanted black Box to be a bit more of like this phenomenon, not like an alien thing, but kind of this like agnostic.
Speaker 6: Kind of blob something.
Speaker 10: It's not really clear if there's any person involved, so to speak, and this was the perfect way to do it once I figured out how we could pull off the visuals and call together the friends and team to make it happen.
Speaker 1: So briefly, explain what the game is like Inside Vision Pro. Yeah, you showed me a little bit earlier. It's kind of like there's bubbles, there's all kinds of stuff going on. It's like very mysterious.
Speaker 6: Lots of bubbles.
Speaker 10: I like if you've played Black Box on iOS, you know there's very little language. I try to get away from words as quickly as possible. It's the same here. Starts with kind of this mysterious splash screen. You click away from that, and then bubbles come in all around the room and that gets you away from any sort of menu or this concept that the puzzle is only in one place, which I think is great because as you look in over your shoulder a little bit to see if there's more. These bubbles work if you're in a living room or an office, or you're outside and they just kind of float there waiting for you, and they sort of I.
Speaker 6: Think bubbles just beckon interactivity.
Speaker 10: You want to catch them or poke them, and as soon as you do that, you're kind of rewarded. And it might just pop if it's empty, but if it's a colored bubble that contains a puzzle, then popping it will cause it to kind of, yeah, wiggle into the room and become its thing, start responding to you somehow, or you can do that bubble gesture with your hands and put it back and choose a new one.
Speaker 1: Now, this idea of augmented reality, virtual reality, mixed reality is still very new for a lot of people. You have developed a game for one of the most cutting edge headsets out there. What do you make of this emerging technology? Do you think it's going to be a force in our world?
Speaker 10: Definitely, it's a long road, I think, and it's really fun to be a part of the very beginning of it how it will evolve. This is just such a great platform to get to experiment with on I think I was always interested in doing this sort of stuff, but the technology just didn't exist, at least in forms that I felt I could approach, and I didn't know how to do any of this a little over a year ago. So it's been fun to have the tools to sort of build these weird, wacky dreams and then take off the headset and be confused that that thing.
Speaker 6: That you made is not there in the room with you.
Speaker 2: Do you get a lot of feedback?
Speaker 1: Are like people emailing you like every day, like asking like for help on this game?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, And what do you do?
Speaker 1: You can't reply to all that, can you try?
Speaker 6: I try.
Speaker 10: I think when I was a kid, I had emailed some game doves and when they replied it was I remember all those So I try to reply to all those emails, even if I'm really coy about it and won't give an answer, and just you know, a wink, and well.
Speaker 6: You should try a little looking at a different place.
Speaker 1: You know, keep playing, keep playing. So what's your advice for aspiring developers? People always come to me, they say, Rich, I have an idea for an app. Is it tough to do this? You did it on your own. Do you feel like there's enough tools out there and resources to be able to for the average person to figure this out?
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's I don't think there's ever been more resources and better time to get started with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 10: I'm jealous of people learning now that don't have to deal with some of the sort of things that I did coming into this field many, many years ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think just paying attention to what people find they like in other apps, and what experiences work really well and what is intriguing to them, and really keeping track of that and chasing that sort of how I developed my sense of what I wanted to create and add more too.
Speaker 1: All Right, the app is called black Box. It's available on the iPhone. Is it on? And then of course Apple Vision pro so search for it, download it and enter this world of mystery and see if you can solve some of these puzzles.
Speaker 2: Ryan McCloud, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. Yeah, keep thinking outside of the bucks.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link to the game on the website. Richon Tech dot TV more rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you. Bad week for social media and teens. A lot of legislation to kind of curb the use also help teens be on their cell phones less. So let me talk about three different things that happen. One in LA, one in New York, and then one from the Surgeon General. Let's start with Los Angeles. LA Unified School District wants to vote on a proposal for student cell phone ban during school hours. This aims to improve learning, reduce bullying, distraction, and anxiety. If past staff would develop policies within one hundred and twenty days, including input from experts, staff, students, and parents. Some of the ideas they're running by including cell phone lockers, cell phone pouches, or even just technology to block social media access. If this policy was approved, it would take effect in January of twenty twenty five. While it sounds like it's a good idea, not everyone is happy about it. Parents are concerned about safety and communication with their kids because if their kids didn't have access to their smartphones all day, a lot of parents use them to get in touch and also track where they are. Meanwhile, in New York, they actually enacted enacted a law to protect minors from social media. Governor Hokul signed a bill targeting addictive feeds and data collection. So two things they did. Two bills signed into law on June twentieth, the Stop Addictive Feeds Exploitation for Kids Acts Safe Act and then the New York Child Data Protection Act. So the Safe for Kids Act requires parental consent for social media companies to use quote addictive feeds. So already you can see they turbocharge what they call these things. They're going to need user parent consent on users under eighteen. It would also prohibit notifications to minors between midnight and six am without parental consent, and this would take effect one hundred and eighty days after they figure out how to age verify kids on these apps. A lot of kids just lie about their aide, so clearly that will not work. Violators would face fines of five thousand dollars per infraction. Then you've got the Child Data Protection Act. This limits data collection on miners without consent, restricts the sale of miners information. This one does not require age verification. It will take effect in one year. So a lot of states looking at these different laws to protect miners from social media because if left on checked, kids would be on their phone unlimited amounts of time, unlimited amounts of time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The Surgeon General meanwhile, did an op ed piece arguing that we need urgent action to protect the youth's mental health from social media risks.
Speaker 2: Vivic H.
Speaker 1: Murphy says adolescents spend over three hours a day on social media. If they do, they face double the risk of anxiety and depression. Average social media use for adolescents was four point eight hours as of last summer. Half of adolescents say social media negatively impacts their body image, and he is proposing a Surgeon General's warning on social media platform similar to what they did for cigarettes and other things. Of course, all of this is debatable. I think that some kids are very healthy with their social media use, others are greatly impacted, and then you have the majority that are probably in between. But I think what we're seeing here is that left unchecked, these social media platforms would of course take advantage of these impressionable youth and the fact that we're all on our phones. It's not just the young kids that are on their phones all the time. It's just that they're not maybe as evolved in their brains as an adult to be able to figure out when to say enough is enough, just like anything else.
Speaker 2: Uh, we'll continue to watch those.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the phone lines triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Let's go to line three, Ron in Laguna Noguel, California. Ron, you are on with rich Welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Hey, hey you're rich Man. Prosperable information each week. Thanks so much for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Of course, question my question. There are companies out there that offer up services to delete your name from well being and Google searches. And I know we can do it manually, and thanks for your education that way. But are these things useful?
Speaker 2: Do they work?
Speaker 11: I mean they say they're on an online basis up per month where they monitor it. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, my thought is this Number one. Do they work? Yeah, they might work for some of them.
Speaker 1: I've been testing one called Mozilla Monitor to see just how well these work. And so according to that, this has auto removed two hundred and nineteen pieces of my information from the web, including my physical address one hundred and twenty four times, family members names ninety three times, phone numbers thirteen times. So yes, they do work. But here is We talked to an expert on this very show a couple of weeks ago about this, and I asked him that question because he's all about your information on the web, mostly when it comes to the dark web, you know, the really bad stuff. So let's let's put it this way. Number one, most of the information out there is your phone number, your address, if they get that right. All of that stuff is on public records. That's how these companies get it. They put it out there and someone searches for you and next thing you know, it says, hey, we've got Rich's address. Do you want to you know, want to see it? And by the way, it takes an hour to get to the final page that shows you the actual address, if it shows you that at all. So the information is out there. Number one, Do you need to take it down? That's number two. That's a personal preference. I think if you want your privacy, it's a game of whack a mole. You can take this stuff down, like I took two hundred and thirty down. That does not mean that it's all gone, but I would say you might want to get it down from some of the key places. And I did this myself a couple of years ago. I went to a website I think it was just delete me. What was it, delete me, delete me DIY. So delete me is one of these companies that will will do this for you. But they also have opt out guides on their website that you can follow for some of these popular websites, so you can get your information off of you know, truth Finder and Spokeo and background checks and all these different things. So I did that myself. It takes a lot of time. It's annoying, but it did work. The thesis that the expert I talked to was that this information is not the most useful information. You know, your phone number, your email, your you know, your your physical address. It's really the dark web information that you should be concerned about the most. And that's your user name, that's your password, that's your date of birth, that's your email address, that is your password for your different websites, your social Security number. That's the stuff that is much much harder to get taken down off the web because it's up there by you know, companies that are not operating in in a you know, reputable area, more of a gray area that they're operating in, or the dark web in general. So with all of that said, do I think you should pay for one of these things. It's up to you to do you want to pay for it, go ahead if if you want to try it out and see what information you can have taken down, try it. But most of them wants you to do it on a yearly basis or a monthly basis, where they just keep charging you to get this information down. But again it's a game of whack a mole. So new information just pops up every single day, so you'd be doing this forever, you'd be paying them forever, which obviously is the business model that everyone really likes. Now, the one thing that I do recommend that I think is incredible and it is free, is Google Results about you. And this is completely free. You go in, and I think this is the more important way to do it. You basically put in the information that you don't want on Google search results. Every time Google finds that information in a search result, it will give you an email and a notification and will give you the opportunity to take that information off of Google search results. When I say that, that's the only thing it takes it off of, but think about it. Ninety nine percent of people just go to Google, they search your name, they look in those results for your information. So if the result isn't there, they're probably not going to go to Spokio or all these other websites that actually have the data. So it's like a good first line of defense and it's completely free.
Speaker 2: I use it.
Speaker 1: I get notifications on a daily basis. Google takes down that result very quickly and it's gone out of Google, and it's just a nice easy freeway to get your information removed once again.
Speaker 2: It is called Google Results about you.
Speaker 1: I'll put the link on my website rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Hit the light bulb coming up.
Speaker 1: We've got a special guest plus much more of the show right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. There you can find my newsletter. You can find me on on social media. I am at rich on Tech. You can email the show by hitting contact, or just kind of look at the different stories I do for KTLA and my TV segments, or listen to the podcast of the radio show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining me. Glad you're here.
Speaker 1: I've actually have a special guest with me. I am broadcasting live for my parents' basement in New Jersey, no joke, that's actually where I am. My dad set up the studio. He was so excited to hang the blankets for the noise cancelation and run the cables on the floor. He said he felt like a real Hollywood gaffer. So thank you Dad for doing that. My brother, though, joins me, he did not do anything except join me here.
Speaker 2: To talk technology. Justin DeMuro, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on. Oh wait, hang on, let me get your I gotta actually turn on your mic. Go ahead, say that again. Justin DeMuro, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you are. Okay, So I think we have a little bit more so Justin is just as much into technology as I am. We are going to be talking about all of the good stuff that we love to talk about offline here on the show in just a moment. First, I just wanted to get through a couple of notable news pieces this week. So number one, California rejected AT and t's bid to end their landline obligations.
Speaker 2: This is according to Ours Technica.
Speaker 1: The California Public Utilities Commission rejected AT and t's request to end its carrier of last result obligation last resort That means that they were required to keep land lines up and running in.
Speaker 2: These various rural areas.
Speaker 1: And they debated with the CPUC saying, you know what, come on, people have ways of making calls here, and they said no, they don't. So, according to the CPUC, AT and T failed to demonstrate the availability of suitable replacement providers for the service, and the Commission clarified that, by the way, these rules are technology neutral. They don't prevent AT and T from upgrading these areas to fiber. So what is AT and T gonna do? They're gonna lay fiber everywhere?
Speaker 2: Just kidding.
Speaker 1: No, They're now focusing on lobbying to change the state law so that they can support legislation that allow it to remain the Cohler in rural regions but being released from obligations elsewhere. So if you got a landline, you're gonna be able to keep it and pay those high prices for a little bit longer. Amazon eliminating plastic air pillows in North American shipments, so you know, you get those little plastic like air pillow thingies and your shipments, they're replacing them with recycled paper. Companies already removed ninety five percent of plastic cushions. They aim to eliminate the rest by the end of this year twenty twenty four. Amazon plans to replace its plastic mailers with paper sleeves.
Speaker 2: In the coming months.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but I'm actually getting things delivered to my house that are much more like just in the box or just in like almost like a clear plastic wrapping, like you can see what's inside. By the way, if you want to reach a person quickly, like a real person at Amazon Customer Service quickly, life Hacker has the way, you can bypass all of their automated systems and speak directly with an Amazon representative. All you have to do is visit Amazon's contact us page, select something else, choose I need more help, and in the customer service chat that pops up, type in request a phone call, and then select Okay, I'll enter my phone number. They will call you. And yes, I've done this before. They do actually have real people that will call you. My advice is this, do not google search an Amazon customer service phone number. You will get scammed. Whatever the result you see may or may not be a real phone number, So be very careful with any company, not just Amazon. But if you're googling for a phone number, make sure that phone number is originating from the official web page and not some random thing that pops up and you call it. And before we get to my brother, let me just mention this. A Tesla battery died in Arizona and a toddler was inside and it was like, you know, the car was hot. And so the takeaway from this adults might know how to use the manual door releases inside these cars, but younger people cannot. So this Tesla lost power. It trapped a twenty month through twenty month toddler inside the hot car. Firefighters had to break the car's window to rescue the child. Again, all of these cars had these electronic door releases, and people are unaware that there is a manual release mechanism. So if you have an electric car and you've got these doors that are electronic, figure out where the mechanical release is and make sure you tell anyone who's in the car with you where those releases are, because you never know when you're gonna need them.
Speaker 2: Now, this is not just a Tesla problem.
Speaker 1: A lot of these new fangled cars are using these push button doors and all these electronic doors, so know where they are. In fact, when I was at the Chicago Auto Show, I asked the Tesla rep because I was in the car, and I said, Hey, how do I open this car if I'm like falling into a lake? You know, if I'm like the car is like falling into water, Like, how would I open this door?
Speaker 2: Because it's all electronic, isn't it gonna short circuit?
Speaker 1: And they said, yeah, there's a little pull latch on the door, so familiarize yourself with where it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so welcome to the show. Justin Demiro.
Speaker 1: This is my brother, and Justin's a tech person as well. So why your love of technology? Yeah, I think it actually comes from you. You always had the computers growing up, and I just started tinkering around with them and just grew up loving them as well, playing video games and getting into coding and eventually went to school for it. So I've always loved technology. So you're much nerdier than you're like, you're much more into tech. It's funny I do a tech radio show in a TV segment, but you're actually nerdier, probably smarter, and know more about this stuff in your house. Like he's got his whole house set up with like all these Google like routines and they all have like the nerdiest names, like don't you say, like okay computer and all this weird stuff. Yeah, I give I give all of my smart devices cute little names like like bed you and Jamo and Fie, they're all just I got tired of saying living room lights.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, see that's nerdy. I love it.
Speaker 1: And you're also an Android guy, So what makes you keep Android all these years? When the you know that that rush of that wave of iPhone, like everyone is like, hey, share that picture, air drop it to me, and you're like, I can't, Like, what makes you still stick to Android? What do you love about it? That's the worst I've I've lost so many dates because of that.
Speaker 2: No Android, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's just it's so flexible. I've I've never been able to not do what I need to do other than synergize with other iPhone users. So it's it just does everything I need to do. There's I know, back when they first came out, iPhone had the advantage and they had all the apps, and you go look on Android, they're like, yeah, we don't have an app or it's like some weird, like shady app that like is definitely not is like a virus or something. Yeah, but yeah, they've polished up over the years. I mean, I have a pixel and it's great. I mean it does everything I needed to do. It's got great battery life. The pictures aren't incredible. It just does everything I need to do, and it's out of my way. I've used iPhones before, and I'm not really a fan personally, but you know, to each his own, they get to they get the job done.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about this story.
Speaker 1: So I lent my my knowledge to this KTLA story on the vinyl revival, a resurgence of analog and a digital age. So vinyl record sales continue to climb, which makes no sense in today's streaming world. But I said, it does kind of make sense. I said, you know, number one, people want their ownership and control over music, right, you don't get that with streaming. That's not a huge reason, but it's kind of you know, it's one of them. The tangible, collectible nature of vinyl records I think people really like, and the nostalgia factor and sensory experience is also I think what people really like. Plus it's simple and you can focus on it. Now. I went to your house this weekend. You have a record player, and I was impressed by that. So what do you like about the record player? Why do you have one? Yeah, we actually use it. It's not just there for show.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I bought it for my girlfriend for I don't know, some some gift at some point, and you know, because she has a collection of records, but I wanted her to actually play them and I thought it would be cool, and I didn't realize I would like it as much as I do. I mean, most of the time you want to play music, you go on your phone, you open up Spotify or a music streaming app, and you just hit play and then it plays forever. With this, it's it's a bit more of a a conscious experience. You're you're selecting the music. Like when we go to play a record, we're talking to each other and saying, hey, what do you want to play? We have this pile of records that mostly that we stole from my parents' house, so they're records. Yeah, but we also have new records. I mean she has several Taylor Swift albums. I just bought two records the other day from a concert that I went to, and it's great playing them. I mean you get that tactle experience with it. I will say, something you don't realize is how short a record is. Yeah, it's like what twenty minutes aside or forty minutes aside forty five that yeah, yeah, it's only it's like it's maybe like ten songs max. And that goes by quickly, you don't even realize it. But again, that goes back to what you were saying about that kind of like you're you're focused on it, like it's you understand, Like you know, you play music on a streaming service.
Speaker 2: It just plays forever and ever and ever.
Speaker 1: You can just leave it on for the entire weekend and never and you one might not even know a song that plays in the background. Sure with the record you're placing it there. So I asked my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on tech what they like about records. The commenters came in Number one, nostalgia and tangibility.
Speaker 2: That's what people like. Number one.
Speaker 1: Number two sound quality, you know, they like they think it's superior compared to digital formats, which may or may not be true. It may just sound richer. Perhaps, I guess the convenience of streaming. People do like that.
Speaker 2: They do acknowledge the fact that streaming is more convenient.
Speaker 1: For sure. Sure, coexistence people say, hey, look, both of these things can exist at the same time, and you're you're saying that as well.
Speaker 2: Generational differences.
Speaker 1: People say older listeners, the older listeners say they preferred vinyl, the younger listeners say they're exploring the formats you've got, you know, one two there. Some people said that there's concerns about vinyls, you know, longevity when it comes to like how fragile the records are. Have you scratched one? I mean, I'm playing records that our parents had from they're probably from the seventies, and they still work. You know, you might get a couple of skips here and there, but that's part of the charm of the medium. I mean, you don't think about music skipping these days at all, but that used to be a very real thing that we had to deal with, Like just CD players, remember they had to the anti shock feature on portable on like Walkman's Yeah, and that never worked, never worked. No, it was always skipping. I remember running with a with a Walkman and it was just it just was not a perfect thing. All right, we're gonna take a break. You're talking, and you're hearing from me Rich Demiro and my brother Justin DeMuro. We are talking technology. We're going to answer some emails that we got. Plus we've got an interview with the co founder of text Now and later on. It's the feedback Everyone's favorite. We'll be right back here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. If you need a link to something I mentioned, hit the light bulb. If you want to get in touch with the show, just hit contact. Sitting here with my brother, Justin DeMuro, Justin, Welcome.
Speaker 2: To the show once again.
Speaker 1: Thanks again. So we have a bunch of emails that you have sent in and we're going to talk about some of these. So go ahead with the first email. Yes, so we got one from Al from New Mexico rights in. Is there a reason that you rarely speak about open source Linux in general? We all report would frequently talk about its benefits. I'm currently retired and live in a community with other retired folks, some of whom I've converted to Linux. Though not an expert, I have about twenty years experience with telemetry and other security and privacy issues that plague both Windows and Apple. I believe open source is the better option. Unless one must use specific software for certain business applications. Your thoughts, uh, well, I will tell you my thoughts and I'll talk. I'll defer to you because I know you're much more linuxy than I am. So my thought is that this show is for the average person. And in my twenty plus years of experience covering technology, I don't know if it's been that long, maybe it's been a little bit less. Maybe well being in technology obviously, I've used technology myself, so I'm aware of it. I understand it to a certain extent, but it's just not what I'm seeing the average person using, nor am I pushing it to the average person. Now when it comes to open source and my big thing, I do love open source stuff. I think it's open source software is incredible. I think third party software is incredible, like software that runs on all platforms.
Speaker 2: So if you listen to this show, you know I.
Speaker 1: Give Apple a hard time because Apple stuff is great, but it's very much proprietary to Apple, and most other tech companies in the world are working to unite the world with software that works everywhere, and you know, the Internet itself. If you think, can you imagine if you went on a website that just didn't work on a computer because it wasn't you know, a certain type of computer. Or you plugged in a phone to an old school like you know, Jack and it just didn't work because it wasn't the right kind of phone, you know. So that's the kind of stuff that I do understand. But I don't think the average person to me is looking to use Linux or adopt it in a big way. I have nothing against it, justin what do you say? Yeah, so I have used Linux a lot. I use it professionally. Linux as a desktop, which is sounds like what you're talking about is is a thing, right. I Mean, there's Ubuntu and Linux Mint, and they have they have really user friendly interfaces and they're completely free, but there is still a level of technical aptitude that you need in order to run these even though they're they're very user friendly, So which is great. I mean, that's that's what I started using years ago when I was working at a web design place. Uh. They they got me working on Linux, and I just I was like, you know what, I'm going full in. I uninstalled Windows from my laptop and I installed Ubuntu and I didn't stop configuring it for the entire time I worked there, and that's the fun of it. That is the fun of it. Sure, it kind of like reminds you of Android. When I was putting like ROMs on my phone, It's like I was ever happy with it. I just kept like tweaking and tweaking and tweaking. And I think that's what people like about the Apple side of things, is that you don't have to think about that stuff like Apple thinks about it all for you. So I think that there's a world that exists where these things can work and they can happen. But like at the end of the day, my show, what I do on TV, what I do on the radio is trying to reach an average person of average aptitude, that is just trying to get things at work. And if it doesn't, you know, they're gonna come emailing me more.
Speaker 2: So thank you. Next question. Let's go to the next question.
Speaker 1: Sure. So we have Kim from Kay Smith Interiors and she writes in saying, Hi, Rich, love your show. I'm writing on behalf of my boss. At the end of most jobs we have professional photography done. Some are posted on How's Yeah that's how website. I've stumbled upon that site. Before this week we found a photo of our client's entry on Amazon. They're selling several chandeliers using our clients entryway photo with different light fixtures photoshopped in how do we have Do we have any recourse here? Given this exact photo was on How's Thank You in advance? Good question, of course, this is the web. People take stuff all the time. It is tough. We're seeing this with AI where it's just grabbing, you know, photos on the web and using it to regurgitate new photos. So I think it's again a game of whack a mole, like I mentioned with the data stuff. But it is Amazon. It is a company that's selling stuff, and nobody should be taking your photo without your permission. So if you look on an Amazon product listing, there is a tiny link that says report an issue with this product or seller. Use the control F on your computer find report this reporting issue, click that link and then say, hey, look this is my picture. Why is this listing using my picture? And it's probably some third party listing that's just you know, grabbing stuff off the web and using it. So that's the best you can do. But yeah, if you put it on the web, chances are someone's going to steal it and use it for their own good Yeah, and I think I think I'll come up against the break Yeah yeah, yeah, like ten seconds.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Something else that might help is adding a water mark. So add a watermark to your images to help track them down a little bit.
Speaker 2: All right, good advice.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up, we're going to talk to you Derek Ting, co founder and CEO of text Now. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Joining me now, Derek Ting, CEO and co founder of text Now.
Speaker 2: Derek, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 12: Thanks for having me Rich.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm very excited to talk to you because text now has a new free Essential Data plan which lets you get free essential data on your smartphone. But first, before we get to that, just explain to me what text now is all about.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Text now is about free phone service through an app. So we created a free phone service where you can go to the app store, Play Store, search for text Now, you down or app and in a few simple steps you get a free phone line that's ad supported, and then if you pay five dollars for a SIM card, we ship a sim car to your door, and then the app will also work without Wi Fi and get nationwide five D coverage.
Speaker 2: It's like two levels.
Speaker 1: The first is you could just download the app, get a free phone number, text with friends and family, make phone calls. Or you can pay that five dollars to get a physical sim that you can put in your phone and actually kind of unlock some more features, which is free calling and texting and also some other stuff, but through you know, a five G network like a regular cellular plan, but minus the monthly fee exactly exactly.
Speaker 12: And then our goal isn't to just be another app on your phone, like our goal is to help people cut the cord from their expensive wireless carrier and not have to pay high monthly phone bills. That's where that's the aim of our service.
Speaker 2: So how'd you come up with this? What made you create text Now?
Speaker 6: It started when we.
Speaker 5: Were in college.
Speaker 12: I got tired of paying AT and T twenty bucks a month for calling, twenty bucks a month for data, and then another twenty bucks a month for texting. So actually started from a pet project in college where we want to make an app to make texting free. We didn't want to pay for texting, and then what we realized was a lot of people use their app not just to make texting free, but they were actually using our app instead of paying for phone service. So then that got us obsessed with the idea of how can we figure out how to make phone service free? And then it's snowball from there and so ever since then we've made texting free, but we also figure out how to make calling free, and then now we've made a free data plan.
Speaker 1: What's the catch, you say, ad supported, What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so there's no catch, but it's a little different from the traditional wireless plan model. So we are phone service through an app. So think of us as any other free internet service that you use, like Facebook or Spotify or YouTube where you see some ads in the app. So we deliver phone service through an apps instead of going to a phone store and waiting for an hour for them to get your phone working. We're phone service through an app. So you download our app and then you get phone service from the app. What that means is you text through app, you call through her app, and then while you do that, there are some ads in the experience, but they're not intrusive. At all, and then we get advertisers to sponsor the free service and that helps people save money.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about this new plan.
Speaker 1: This is free essential data, and so can you explain what that plan is? So you get the simcard for your phone. I've tried this. I popped it into my phone, download the app. It finds a five G signal, and of course you can make your calls, you can do the text just like you could regularly. But now you're also adding some free data into the mix that you can use for certain apps.
Speaker 2: Explain that part.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: The idea is that we want to give people maximum flexibility and more ways for them to save money from their phone bill. And then so we identified these apps that people use a lot that we can afford to give for free. So then we create a free data plan where you could just use the essential apps and it's free. So it's email, it's maps, it's transportation. We're able to figure out how to make those apps like free and like a free data plan, so then we so then when you can't pay, you still have these apps you can use when you're on the go, and then when you can pay, you can upgrade to the full data plan. But the idea is you don't have to pay for what you don't need. And also if you are in a tight financial situation, you still have phone service. It's reliable and you can access all the essential things you need to get access to.
Speaker 1: So if I'm paying, if I paid that five dollars to get the simcard, I would have access to free calling, free texting. I could also check my email wherever I am. I could check Google Maps wherever I am. I could get an uber if I needed it, or you know, and those are just example apps. You do have various apps in those categories like you mentioned. And then of course I can connect to Wi Fi to get data, you know, if I'm out and about. But you also have these kind of data one off plans where you can get data for an hour, you can get data for a day, you can get data for a month.
Speaker 12: What we do know what's common with most people is there and Wi Fi most of the time, and then they're paying for these expensive data plans when they don't need to, and we're able to help them save a lot of money.
Speaker 2: How long have you been doing this with text now.
Speaker 12: We've been doing it since I was in college. So twenty ten. We've been at it for a while. Yeah, what's really exciting is that we started off what's the simple goal of just not having to pay for texting, and then now we're at a point where like text now can replace your entire phone plan, you don't need to.
Speaker 4: Pay for a phone plan.
Speaker 12: And every day goes on, we're adding more to our free service, and we envision a future where just the free service just keeps getting better and better. And then there's we're like the only phone company that's trying to find ways to charge people less, not find ways to charge people more. And that's exciting because we're approaching a future where phone service can be completely this thing that no one has to pay for, and that's very exciting.
Speaker 2: So who do you think your service is for.
Speaker 12: It's for consumers, it's for small businesses that don't want to overpay for phone service that definitely have better use for their money besides over paying for phone service. And the average household spends two k a year on phone service, which is a lot of money. And if we can help families put more money in their pocket, ninety nine percent of them have some better use for it that benefit their family.
Speaker 1: So tell me about some of these add on costs. Because we talked about the data plans. I also noticed inside the app, you know, you can park your phone number for a couple extra bucks. You can receive you know, one time authorization codes like two factor authentication codes like are there any limitations that you think people should be aware of and the fees that people should be aware of before they get into this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we try to make it as simple as possible. We have our free tier, which is like you get always free tier, always get free talk through text, free Central Data. And then we do have some Alkhart options in case people don't want to pay the bundles, they can do things alakarte. So we have options for people to lock in their number. For example, on the free service, if you don't use your number for a month, then we have to give the phone number to someone else. But if you pay five bucks, we can lock in your numbers. So these are examples of some ala Caharte things people can can buy. And then also if we don't like ads, there's option to remove ads for ten bucks a month, and then more and more more more more commonly, if the free Central Data plan you need more than the free Central Data plan. You can get these data passes. So for an hour is a dollar. For a day it's five dollars. And then we offer an unlimited data plan for forty bucks a month if you want unlimited for the whole month.
Speaker 2: Can you give me an idea of how many people are using the service?
Speaker 12: Yeah, we have over ten million unique visitors, unique customers that use text now a month, and then in the given day, we have over two million unique people that use text Now.
Speaker 1: Direkting of text now dot com, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Thanks so much for having me Rich. Pleasure talking to you.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it. You can find a link to text now on my website. Just go to rich on Tech dot TV. Rich on Tech coming your way right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Closing out the show. Three hours always go by so fast. We've been playing New Jersey music all show long to celebrate the fact that, yes, I have been visiting New Jersey, hanging out friends and family and also New York City. One of the best things I did when I went to New York City was dragging my family.
Speaker 2: To a hot dog cart. They did not want to go. But I found.
Speaker 1: This this YouTube where I like that does all the New York City stuff here. We bar definitely follow him. He mentioned that he likes this guy up on ninety third in Central Park West. He's been there for thirty years selling these can I say dirty water dog? Is that like a mean thing to say? That's just makes it sound better. Greek immigrant and the guy we went up there. My family did not want to go on the subway and ride all the way up there, and I said.
Speaker 2: Let's just go. Let's just go. We get there.
Speaker 1: It was the best experience of New York City. The guy was so nice. Billy's called Billy's Dogs, and the experience was just great.
Speaker 2: And the dogs, by the way, two bucks.
Speaker 1: Anything for two dollars nothing, that's that's my brother justin. By the way, James rode in and said on the radio program today, your brother sounds just like you. As I listen, I cannot differentiate between the two voices. Just a fun little fact from Jim and Dana point. William rode in while we talked about Android versus iPhone. He said, I would love to know why you your brother and others feel it's okay to use an Android operating system products that was basically started by theft from Apple. I don't patronize any company who steals, and you shouldn't neither. I don't know if I agree with that. I think what they steal exactly, I don't know. I'm not really sure I think that. Yeah, everything's in iteration anyway. All right, let's get to one more question before we have to close out the show with the feedback segment. Oh right, So we have Terry who wrote in saying, I'm just your average seventy four year old lady who loves to dabble in doodle. I have the newest iPad pro and an Apple Pencil Pro. Can you recommend a good free sketching drawing app with the ability to attach photos and other graphics? She tried using free Form but found it unfriendly and can't find a way to save as JPEG only PDF files, So thanks in advance. Okay, she said free, which is the key word. Everyone wants everything for free. And I understand that, Terry, because you're just dabbling, right. But I just did a segment with Apple about their Apple Camp for Kids, and they were using Pages, which is something I would like never think to use on an iPad because I generally just delete all those programs.
Speaker 2: But it does.
Speaker 1: Exactly what you want. It works with the Apple pencil, works on the iPad. You can attach photos, you can attach graphics. I assume you can export as a JPEG. I mean I would assume that. I think that's gonna work one hundred percent for free. So download Apple Pages and try it out. The other two apps I recommend Sketchbook and pro Create. Sketchbook might have like a freemium version of it, and pro Create, I know, is a one time fee, but a lot of people love pro Create. It might be too much for what you need, justin what do you think? Yeah, I use something on my computer. I don't know. I'm not sure if this is actually supported on iPad, but it's called photop dot com Photo p EA, and it's a Photoshop clone. It looks just like Photoshop. You can do everything you can do with that you can do in Photoshop in this app. It's great. Definitely check it out. And if you can't sketch with it, which I believe you can, you can certainly go ahead and edit your sketches and add embellishments to them. So check that out. Okay, wow, that looks like how do you know it's not called photo pia?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Actually okay, I was calling it that for a while and then someone said photo pi, So I don't know. Try out. Vincent into Hunga, California, wrote in and said, my friend has a hard time reading his text messages. Is there any way for the phone to read them out loud for him? He has an Android? Uh yes, there is a feature, an accessibility feature called select to Speak.
Speaker 2: Did you know about this? I did not.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you if you look in the accessibility section of the settings on your on your phone iPhone or Android, there are so many hidden features that can help you use your phone, especially if you have any sort of you know, a varying ability. This one's a really great one. So I tried it on Android. Works perfectly. Once you turn it on, you tap anything on your screen and it will just read it out loud to you. And it's really good to get. Yeah, it's called select to Speak. All right, Do you have one more before we get to the feedback?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So Sam from Fort Collins Colorado rights in I've I've had Yahoo forever, and I'm glad to here they're doing some updating. I receive many spam emails every day, mostly most recently offering free awards that require completing surveys. He's tried unsubscribing from each one, which takes forever, and he recently started blocking emails. Is there a better way to get rid of all these spam emails?
Speaker 2: All right, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 1: What do you think? So my number one thing is to switch to Gmail if you can.
Speaker 2: Okay, he doesn't want to do that.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you sure you get all of his emails in Yahoo. Yeah, and I totally understand that. I get it. There's something you could do called plus addressing, which is a lot of times when you sign up for something, you make a new account somewhere, they sell your data, which includes your email address, to advertisers, and then you start getting spam emails. If you add a plus symbol at the end of your address, like say it's sam plus website at yahoo dot com, you will see that when you get all these emails coming to you from that plus address, you'll see where you wrote it from. So it's definitely. That's something that I use for almost every website right now, and you can see if any spam is coming from a website that you signed up for. Now, I'm looking at some support online. I don't know if Yahoo supports the plus, so be sure to check to see if your email provider supports it, but they might also they might also support temporary email addresses, so if you just need there's also a website. I think it's called ten Minute Mail. Have you heard of that one? So ten minute Mail. You go to this website and it basically gives you a ten minute email address, so you can go on there and it gives you this random email address and basically once you do that, let's see here, you've got a countdown of ten minutes, and you see this email address, just some random email address. You can put that in and then the email that you get will arrive on the website. So if you just want to sign up, I also use duck dot com, so I've I guess I can say that the email I have I don't know if I should say it, but I have an email address at duck dot com. You can put that in there and that it's another kind of temporary disposable email address. My rule of thumb when it comes to spam, unsubscribe to anything, be brutal anything. Let's say you just signed up for like home Details, home depots, ten ten percent off or whatever. Right, just as soon as you get that coupon, unsubscribed. Scribe legitimate emails, you can unsubscribe. It's the emails that come in as spam. Do not open them, do not unsubscribe, do not click any links, delete them immediately. All right, let's get back. Let's get to the feedback. This is your feedback plus the mail bag. Susan from California rights in, we watch you every day on TV. You're so informed and seem to be a really nice guy. Where your grandparents' age? So we need trustworthy information. Thank you, Susan. Natalie writes, love your TV segments, but they're often too short. I'm subscribed to the website. A friend ask chat GBT to write a song about being human. I'll figure out a way to send the lyrics to you. Crazy interesting as expected. Steve writes in I learn from you when I listen on the radio and when I read your emails. I'm not a Channel five watch, but I do record your appearances on my DVR. And finally, a listener writes in, I am an older person trying to keep up with your ever changing tech information. Your TV and radio segments keep me in the loop and knowledgeable. You always provide clear, easy to understand, and learner friendly information that I can actually use. Your enthusiasm for tech and problem solving keeps me interested in sharing what I learned. I wish you wrote a name in because I'd love to thank you. But thank you Justin, thanks for being on, Thanks for having me. That's my brother, Justin Demiro. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on tech dot TV. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. Next week I'll take you to Vigcon twenty twenty four that's happening in Anaheim. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible, especially complex remote shows like this, Kim Bobo, the engineers, everyone, Justin, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Darmiro. Talk to you real soon.
Speaker 1: Justin I'll give you the last words.
Speaker 2: Did you have fun.
Speaker 1: I had a great time. Thanks for having me on. All right, We'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: Mhm