Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg BusinessWeek with Carol Masser and tim Stenoveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, we want to switch to gear to another great story that's definitely on our radar. Nobody's appear President Trump. But it does feel like doctor Oz comes awfully closed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Check out these similarities similarities between the two of them. They're both wealthy television stars of the early two thousands, degrees from the University of Pennsylvania. They became regulars on the Palm Beach social scene before entering Republican politics, and as a member of Trump's administration, Oz's remit has been sprawling. That's according to people familiar with the matter who were quoted and spoken to by Rachel Korzeng, Bloomberg News health policy reporter, who writes all about how doctor al Oz is thriving.
Speaker 1: I had no idea, And anyway, it's the.
Speaker 2: Perfect story because it's like, wait a second, and we don't think about this. Well, you did interview him at Milkin, right, I did.
Speaker 1: I did, But you know it's interesting, I didn't realize he was His purview was so like he oversaws so much. Let's get to it with Rachel. She is here. He is the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. You right, though he's become the heir apparent to lead the Health Department if RFK Junior departs. Tell us a little bit about what you found out.
Speaker 3: So I found that typically the CMS administrator really focuses on health insurance. You know, they're running Medicare and Medicaid. These are it's a lot of money, and it's really technical programs. It's really wonky. Usually people don't pay a whole lot of attention to it. But because doctor Oz is close to the president and he has forged a friendship with Secretary Kennedy, he gets brought into the room on big discussions that are happening about health policy, including on childhood vaccinations and you know, global health affairs. That just it's really unusual, but I think it's not a high conflict exercise. It's really interesting how he operates.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing that will and we should note that you don't there's no indication that our f K Junior is going to depart, And you make that point in the piece.
Speaker 3: Yes, not before the mid terms is kind of the expectation.
Speaker 2: But there is this view in Washington that it's kind of surprising that he's lasted this long, right.
Speaker 3: Certainly, But I mean, I think the President really likes Secretary Kennedy and he's really on board with a lot of his ideas.
Speaker 2: Well on the health side of things. Going back to doctor Oz, we've learned some things about what makes someone click with this president. What is it that makes doctor Oz click with this president.
Speaker 3: I think, as you said, they do have a lot in common. But I think doctor Oz is somebody who likes to explain things. You know. He has built a great team around him, and he's interested in the policy ideas. When I talk to people who had briefed him, they said he just inhaled the information and he loves to dig into the details. And I think the President understands that the Medicare constituency is honestly, really important in politics, and he trusts doctor Oz to deliver wins for him and to turn these big ideas he has into things that actually work in the government.
Speaker 1: I love this too, this exchange, because it often you see in a term, a presidential term, people leaving like kind of midway and that he committed to President Trump to serve his full term. He said, Okay, I'll give you the job, but I'm going to insist on four years. And Oz committed to that is that he's going to go the distance here, and I think that's kind of interesting. Has his responsibilities and his access kind of grown since he's come to this position.
Speaker 3: Absolutely certainly, And I think, you know, Secretary Kennedy never was, you know, a hands on manager in his prior roles either, So I think they've really worked on building a team around him to handle some more of those day to day management solutions. And I think the White House certainly values doctor Oz is somebody who can kind of translate from the White House and the goals we want and try to get a Secretary Kennedy fully on board with that and just figure out how to make it happen. And he's really served that role.
Speaker 1: Does the medical community as a whole. I'm just curious, as you guys were talking to different folks, do they also think, Okay, this is as good as kind of having an adult in the room, or how do they feel about this.
Speaker 3: I think it's widely viewed that his team or he built a serious team of Republican policymakers around him. That being said, there's still republic Republican policymakers, and they're still pursuing traditional kind of priorities in terms of scaling back Medicaid funding over the next ten years, and you know, not continuing subsidies that made Affordable Care Act insurance more affordable for people. And I think monthly costs are going to go up over time and people are going to lose their health insurance. I don't think there's any question about that. So all of that, so I think there's certainly concerns about those policies. But I think there is a general sense that nobody expected doctor Oz to be this serious and I guess this effective in his role.
Speaker 2: What's the relationship that doctor Oz has with RFK Junior.
Speaker 3: I think they're honestly friends, and I think both of them it's striking.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because one of them is a you know, trained medical doctor who understands the science and peer review and clinical trials, and the other one comes from a place where critics argue that he doesn't necessarily see science in the way that that you know, is it has been proven out in the medical establishment. No.
Speaker 3: I mean he the secretary understandples right, He understands he doesn't have a medical background. And I think he really values doctor Oz's opinion, and he is someone who goes around the room and seeks the council of his advisors and really listens. And I think just that trust has allowed doctor Oz to have this influence in the room where it's not, you know, a backstabbing thing. It's not a conflict heavy exercise. But I think he really values his opinion and they do seem to be pretty open minded to those discussions.
Speaker 1: He's also smart about undercutting right, yes, rfk JR.
Speaker 3: It's a very fine line. I think the worst thing to be in the Trump administration is a show voter. They really don't like that. They want all the credit to go back to the administration, and I think he's played that game very well.
Speaker 2: We see that a lot when these members of the administration speak, and the way that they highlight the contry video the president and talk about the leadership of.
Speaker 1: The president, not naming anybody, but yet no, no, no, no, listen like you know, read the room, right, And I don't think that's also just specific to this president, I think in general.
Speaker 2: Right past administration of other countries too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would say even past administrations, right, Like you have to be careful about like kind of how you don't kind of show up your president and the team. What did you learn in doing this?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: Guys you talk to a lot of people, just get about thirty or forty seconds of all of it.
Speaker 3: What like?
Speaker 1: As you kind of think about this story, what really sticks with you?
Speaker 3: I think it's striking that just how how much they're genuinely friends and how much how little conflict there is in that.
Speaker 1: Relationship between RFK and doctor Oz.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think there's a perception that you know somebody, there's so much speculation. I think the assumption would be that people try to grasp for power as much as they can, as quickly as they can, and I think we just haven't seen that dynamic play out between them. So it was odd, but it feels it's true. And so I think that is going to stick with me.
Speaker 1: And I think it's safe to say that when he was named two people were like scratching their head a little bit. But here he is right and certainly very involved, and certainly it sounds like a very trusted advisor to both RFK and to the President. Great stuff. Rachel Corsang. She is Boomberg News health policy reporter. Check out her story. It is on the Bloomberg and at bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: Rachel Place