Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys Training live from Dallas Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard, cal.
Speaker 3: Street Sat six seconds dot TSI pays for the touchdown.
Speaker 4: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's time for a Thursday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from Oxnard, California. As training camp twenty twenty three continues out here on the West Coast, It's preseason week number one and the Cowboys get ready to take on the Jacksonville Jaguars four pm Central Time on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Alongside John Matchoda, Nick Harris, I'm Kyle Yeoman's. Gentlemen, we are here. This is the final.
Speaker 2: Show before football actually happens, which is just so refreshing to say.
Speaker 5: And we've got another padded practice today to watch.
Speaker 6: I'm looking forward to it just because the fact that we can finally see guys hitting and tackling to the ground like they're doing. They're hitting their thudding. Sometimes there's been a but like when they actually do tackle the ground I feel like I need to post that video because it's just so rare when you see that, and also it's the coaches don't want that, but yeah, they actually get to see that in the trenches, particularly in the preseason. I'm looking forward to that more than anything else.
Speaker 7: At Chris be in the Back. Can we get this episode named Thudding? That's a no.
Speaker 8: But I'm really excited to see these guys in action on Saturday. We've been talking about it. It feels like a nauseum since well since I got here, since the draft for sure, So I'm definitely excited to get going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lots of youth with this team trying to merge with the veterans.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a lot of veterans that are probably not going to see the field on Saturday. Maybe a couple that will just based off of injuries and things.
Speaker 5: Of the sort that are trying to work back from.
Speaker 2: But for the most part, it's going to be a chance for that youth side of the football team to shine, which I think Cowboys fans are excited about and ready to see. But I mean, let's get into talking points. I mean a lot of that, at least over the last couple of days has been the defense. That talking point for me at least is how dominant the defense has been. They continue to get after it, they continue to push this offense. I thought Monday the offense had a great practice. They got the ground game going a little bit, they were able to kind of fill some holes, and then Tuesday was a complete turnaround. I thought Tuesday was really a rough practice offensively. But what are you guys looking at? What are you guys seeing out there on the field.
Speaker 6: I still have my questions about the offensive line. That would be the biggest thing. You know, if I take out a depth chat right now and I look at it, I don't have many questions about the defense. I look at the offense and yeah, you know, Dak, you mentioned that in that practice through a few interceptions a couple of Trayvon Diggs and won the Layton vandersh But even with that, like, it doesn't really concern me that I feel will all work itself out. They're working in a new offense, but it's about how well can that offensive line block? And we see it to a certain extent out here, but now we'll see on Saturday. Especially because you talk about starters not playing, Like you don't expect to see Tyron Smith out there. I don't expect to see Terren Steele out there. I don't expect to see Tyler Biadash out there. So that's a lot of playing time for reserve offensive linemen that they really need a couple of these guys step up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm curious to see how this depth kind of steps up, especially with the reps that they're gonna be getting on Saturday. You had mentioned that the offensive line, especially the interior right guard Josh Bosman.
Speaker 7: Getting a lot of work.
Speaker 8: So seeing him get some game reps maybe will increase some confidence not only in him, but you know people that are hoping that he can step up to that occasion, especially if Zach Martin's not able to come back, but also brock Hoffman, you know, I feel like he's had a strong last week. I'm curious to see what he does when he puts it onto the field on Saturday. There's gonna be a lot of guys, you know, just kind of looking at Lindstrom as well. I mean, there's a lot of interior guys that you know, there's a huge opportunity still open for any of these guys to take, so we'll see who takes advantage of it.
Speaker 5: Is that your talking point as well, or do you have anything else?
Speaker 7: I would say my talking point.
Speaker 8: What I'm looking forward to going into Saturday is the Jacksonville receivers versus the Cowboys defensive backs. I think, top to bottom, from the top of the depth charts to the bottom on both sides, it's gonna be a really fascinating battle. We could talk about the top and it kind of depends on who plays for the Cowboys. But for the Jacksonville Jaguars, you got Christian Kirk, You got Calvin Ridley, who will most likely be playing considering that he just came off a year long suspension, probably needs a good ramp up. And you got Zay Jones as their wide receiver three, who had a great year last year and you know, is trying to prove once again that he can be a viable Z option out there for him. So you know who covers those guys, nay Sean Wright probably gets the assignment of Jay Jones, and you know, we'll kind of see who they play and bounce around. But even at the depth of that group, you got Parker Washington that if they just drafted in the sixth round out of Penn State. That was a guy that was getting first round grades going into the season last year. Really athletic guy, really speedy, has an incredible route tree. I want to see him against Eric Scott just because with Parker Washington's versatility and how he can kind of fluidly move around, I want to see that against Eric Scott because he's just as fluid and it's pretty much versatile as well. So I would like to see those two guys pitted against each other. And you also got Darrajingcas that's another young receiver than they have. It's gonna be fun top to bottom from quarter one to quarter four.
Speaker 2: And reports at least early on are saying that they expect Trevor Lawrence to play just a little bit, and they expect some of those receivers to see some time. I bet you Calvin Ridley gets multiple series. Probably those other guys probably don't.
Speaker 5: Zay Jones and then.
Speaker 2: Christian Kirk, Yeah, I think both of those guys are probably going to take a step back at least at the moment, and then that'll be Calvin Ridley for maybe two or three series and then he'll get out of there. That's a good challenge. I mean, we've talked about iron sharpens iron on the field. They finally get that up opportunity to face somebody that doesn't have a star on the side of their helmet and you instead get to go up against the other team. I think that's gonna be valuable for guys like right and Eric Scott Junior. I doubt Deron Blant sees a ton of playing time. Maybe he gets a series, but for the most part, that's gonna be a good challenge. It's something I think the secondary real issues. It seems like Al Harris wants that type of challenge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't need to see Deron Bland. I feel like their top three corners are very similar to their top three receivers on this team. I don't think you need to be putting them out there. Eric Scott is a key for sure, because you've just been seeing good things. You've been hearing good things about him. The other day, the Pivot podcast was out here talking to Micah Parsons and some of those guys caught up with Trayvon Diggs and they asked him, you know, like, who's kind of caught your eye and whatever, and he mentioned, you know, Eric Scott is a guy, and you obviously hear from the coaches as well. So that one that really interests me is like, what can he do in that situation, because if you are going against some of those top receivers, let's be honest, he's not gonna shut those guys down, you know. And so that's my big thing about corner. It's funny because you too, when you're in the locker room. It's like there's corners are wired a certain way because you're never just going to completely shut people down. I would say some of the most prickly personalities I've been around have been defensive backs and it's easy particular corners. And so that's the thing. It's like, so Eric Scott gets beat on a player or whatever, Now you've got to come right back and kind of put that behind you. And that's so easier said than done. Most human beings are not wired that way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's just the nature of the job, right.
Speaker 8: You have to be able to kind of shrug it off, but also take the heat whenever it comes. But no, I'm really excited to see Eric Scott. You know, we've been since he was drafted. I feel like we've been hearing about the potential he can bring from a coverage standpoint, whether that be in man or zone, and I feel like he's shown both of those things out here, but it's just translating it to the practice field. And one thing specifically I would like to see from him is working the run game, just because that was the one knock I had on him from his college days is you know, he was not really that efficient in the run game.
Speaker 7: He gots torn up a couple of times.
Speaker 8: So I'd like to see him in those situations and see how we can move forward from that.
Speaker 2: We're talking a lot about the secondary, But which one are you more excited on Saturday?
Speaker 5: The pass rush or the secondary, Because I mean, I think it's for two completely different reasons.
Speaker 2: For sure, for past rush, it's can they continue to do what they've been doing out here? Whereas the secondary it's more so can they continue to build and can the youth shine a little bit?
Speaker 7: Well, let's start with this.
Speaker 8: If there's a four man front, who's who's playing the majority of the game. That's question, question for question for both of you, Because I I think I think there's I think there's a case to be made for a lot of guys that could be playing quite a bit of series.
Speaker 6: That's that's I'll give you just a name. I want to like, do you want to see a lot from Sam Williams?
Speaker 7: I just yeah, I do. Absolutely I do too.
Speaker 6: And and then one of the reasons why is because I don't feel like I've noticed him as much out here is maybe I thought I would. Like Obviously Lawrence and Michael Parsons you notice them a lot. And with Sam Williams, there's a part of me that it kind of goes back to that preseason game last year with with Cavante Turpin where he has the two big returns, you know, and it just like one of those things like, yeah, go ahead and take your your pads off.
Speaker 5: We're good.
Speaker 6: Weve seen like to see Sam Williams come out early in this game kind of wreck shop and then being like, all right, Sam, we're good. We've seen enough there, you know, especially going against you know, a first team offense like that, and and really like when you rattle off all those receivers and you think about what Trevor Lawrence is becoming that like this isn't just like, well, they're gonna go against ones, They're going against ones of like one of the better teams in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Absolutely one, Anton Harrison.
Speaker 8: I think that's gonna be a fascinating tackle matchup for whoever is line up at edge, whether that's Sam Williams or you know, if Daurrence Armstrong gets some play. So again, I'm curious to see who rolls out there for the defensive line, because you could make a case that a lot of those guys you can go ahead and put that bubble wrap on them and let them, let them chill until Week one.
Speaker 5: The four guys that I have on my depth chart as the number two's and this is my depth chart.
Speaker 2: This is just based off of what I've seen out here. It's Durrance Neville, Gallamore, Chauncey Gulston, Sam Williams.
Speaker 7: So that's the official Dallas Cowboys step chart, right is it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're just making a joke. I was about to say, is if it might line up? It might, I don't know, but Durrance bubble wrap. I don't think you're gonna want to see Dorance a whole lot.
Speaker 5: Neville.
Speaker 7: I can see Neville.
Speaker 2: Getting a significant amount of it playing time, Chauncey will get a significant amount of playing time.
Speaker 5: Sam might be a couple a couple of drives out.
Speaker 6: And the other guy that would be in that mix. I feel like when the season gets going, it would be Mazzie Smith. But then you're sitting there shore and like him coming off his injury injury, you know, how much are they going to play him at all? Do they want to just have.
Speaker 2: Him as as a kind of a penciled in starter, because I just think he will take over that opportunity. Dante Valler Junior is off the edge.
Speaker 7: Do you need to see him a whole lot?
Speaker 6: I don't need to see anything.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking the same thing. This is going to be a huge opportunity for the rookie. Villyami Fojoko, I think jujuhco.
Speaker 5: He's He's been relatively quiet.
Speaker 2: I get a lot of questions on Twitter and a lot of people saying, what is Villyami doing?
Speaker 5: What is Junior doing? I think he's been fine, but he also hasn't flashed.
Speaker 2: He hasn't done the same things that that Williams or Parsons or Dante Faller had been doing that's where he gets a chance to shine it. And and I was talking to Dan Quinn yesterday and Dan said, I'm really excited to see Fojoko show a little versatility, show a little bit of that positionless defense, because if you can come off the edge and rush a passer, great, But if you can go on inside and fill a hole and stop the run, then that's another great opportunity for him to whether he's the three technique, five technique edge rusher, wherever they put him on the line, it's at least a chance for him to show some of that stuff you expect him to see, not only just a good amount of playing time, but also to possibly show that some of the stuff that he hasn't shown out here yet.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: And then the other part of it is when they drafted him, I was kind of like, you know, I didn't know a ton about him. And then so the more you read up on him, and the more you know, you get in the conference call, you talk to some coaches and stuff, and it's you know, you just see kind of them using him as a similar role as Golson, and I'm just like, I'm interested to see how that works out because It's one of those deals where almost like with Tyrone Crawford for a while, like it was like he never just had that one position and was like always moving him around. So I kind of would like to see those guys kind of settle into a role, you know, whatever that be, instead of just being like, yeah, this week you're gonna line up here, and this week you know you're gonna line up on this spot and you're gonna go against this guy, and this week you might not play as much. And I know it's easier said than done when you have a loaded defensive line, but I just it's hard for him to stand out with who he's got in front of him, and I don't know exactly what his position is. I know that Dan Quinn likes him a lot, but that doesn't mean necessarily that, oh well I didn't see him flashing the preseason or out at training camp. Well, this guy's never gonna you know, make a big impact. That doesn't mean anything, you know. That's why he's not like he's a first or second round pick. Yeah, But just like I said with the Turpin thing, you'd love to see any of these guys just kind of, you know, kind of catch your eye and turn ahead and be like, oh wow, you know I didn't notice that him having that kind of an impact during the preseason. The other thing is or during the training camp. The other thing I would point out is in all sports, there are some players that are great in practice, or they're great in this environment, they're not as great there. And then there's other players that they're absolutely at their best when the lights come on, and you don't really know that until the lights come on.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I think for Junior, Forjoko, and for Austin Richards, this is a really important opportunity for both of these guys, just because you know, I feel like there's a level of unproven with both of those guys, just based on what's been put out out here. Uh and when you look at the draft picks, I feel like those are easily the two got have been talked about the least.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to see both of those guys.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean, the rookies always have a little extra, little extra intrigue.
Speaker 2: I think Jayalen Brooks falls under that category. Steve John Stevens falls under that category. Having those rookies in this preseason game, it's their first chance to really show first time. They'll have a star on the side of their helmet as well, so there's a little extra pride factor there too. So really excited to see those guys. But when we come back, I want you guys to send in some texts. We got to get these texts roll in eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. That's the Talking Cowboys podcast. Text line eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 5: We're gonna answer some questions.
Speaker 2: We've already got a couple of really good ones from right at the beginning of the show, But send us some more in because we're gonna hit that when we come back with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: After this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle call cofee dot com to join the coffee Club.
Speaker 2: Today, Cowboys fans, after that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 5: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 12: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking learn more at Bank of America dot Com. Slash Can't Stop Banking EVERTA It is.
Speaker 5: Only available in the Elish language.
Speaker 2: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 5: Message dat rates MA apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United app Turf dot com to find a location near you to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oates, a super trusted superfood Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. As we welcome you back into another training camp episode leading in to preseason Game number one with John Machoda, Nick Harris and Kyle Yemen's time now to go to the text line, Send us your questions eight one seven, two nine zero three two nine eight from the two one four Talking Cowboys crew other than Tony Pollard, who would be the most surprising cut among running backs at camp, even if they end up on the practice squad, Because there's a lot of talk about in this running back room. I think that talk will continue into the preseason. It's a pretty good question because right now there's no clear cut, but there's also no clear standout at the same time.
Speaker 7: That's a really good question. I feel like you could go with any of those guys.
Speaker 8: You could, I guess I would say duce Vaughan, just because they've been integrating him into multiple packages, offensive packages where you know he's lined up as a slot. He's lined up in like a Trip's bunch at times with guys, so there seems to be a plan of versatility for him. So I'd be surprised if they not necessarily cut him but put him on the practice squad. Even even you could point in any of these guys and say, you know, that guy's gonna be number two or that guy's gonna get cut, I feel like it's still very unproven in that room right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I don't feel like any of them have really separated themselves from the from the rest of the group. Now again, preseason games, you're gonna have pads on. That's when you really can tell what you have in the running game. And through three preseason games, when you talk about Rico, Dawdle, Malik Davis, and Duce Vaughan, they're gonna get a lot of reps. And so because of that, I know that you know you want to project right now, but I don't think that there's gonna be any problem figuring this thing out. When the preseason's over with, you're gonna know who kind of jumped out. I don't. I don't think all of them will just kind of disappoint or all will be great. I think that there'll be a little bit of a separation after that happens. But as of what we've seen out here, I got to go with Rico Dauba would surprise me just because of the fact of the way Mike McCarthy's talked about him. You know, that first depth chart came out, came came out and it's unofficial, so let's not read too much into that, but you know, he was the two at that running back spot, so I think he would probably surprise me. But I also, yeah, I agree with you, I don't I can't see them moving on from Deuce Fawn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Rico.
Speaker 2: I think that's a credit to Rico like that, that's a compliment to what he's done so far to say it's surprising Deuce. I think it would be surprising because they haven't traditionally cut draft picks, especially on the offensive side of the ball too. I think there's there was so much hype around that pick, and there's of course the connection with Chris in the in the vicinity.
Speaker 5: I think they also.
Speaker 2: Don't want to let him get away if if if something were to shine and things were to click, and it certainly could whenever the lights come on, because he showed that that was the case. He was a gamer at Kansas State as well, so maybe maybe he would be that that's prising cut. I think overall, there's a yeah, there's a there's a lot of question marks of running back and they've got four guys they have to sort through, and all four guys have a chance to be the number two, or all four guys have a chance to be the fifth running back on the roster, which I think is that's what makes this whole situation intriguing.
Speaker 8: Quick sidebar question, if none of these guys really pop out, do we like Leonard Fournette?
Speaker 7: I do? I do too, I do.
Speaker 6: He's a free agent, right he is this, Like I said, three preseason games will give you plenty of time to kind of iron things out, figure out what you have there. If nobody jumps out enough to where you feel really comfortable, Absolutely that interests me. And also because of the fact that I just that running back position. If you're a free agent running back, I don't think they're gonna have to make a really big significant investment for a Leonard Fournette. So yes, I would be extremely interested in that.
Speaker 5: I'm reluctant.
Speaker 2: But I also ask me again, in three weeks, I want to see what happens with this.
Speaker 7: Running back group.
Speaker 2: But if if nothing works out and then the Cowboys can't get the run game going, whether that be from the offensive line or not, uh, I want to I want to at least see the options. And if Leonard Fournett's out there and he's healthy and he's able, then yeah, let's at least kick the tires on it and bring him in.
Speaker 6: It's gonna being completely candid, though I would have been saying the same thing like three months ago. So yeah, I'm not very unbiased about this. Sure, the entire time he's been sitting out there, you've wanted him. Yeah, And I mean it's not just because of what he was in college and how high of a draft pick he was. It was the fact of you saw what he did with Tom Brady on a team that was built ready to make a run. This team is built, you know, they've they've head back to back twelve win seasons. The guy's been there and done that. Wouldn't need to see him out here step in week one and and I think would be an outstanding compliment to Tony Pollard. But hey, if one of these other guy steps up, by all means, why why just spend the money to spend it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's not a I mean, I think it's a great point actually because you look at look at these other positions and the veterans and youth that's that's combined between those positions. I mean, Mazzie Smith, Jonathan Hankins at cornerback, it's Trayvon Diggs and Stefan Gilmour. I mean you have a veteran either a veteran playmaker and a youthful playmaker at almost every position along the depth chart. Running back, you just have youthful playmakers for the most part. I mean Tony Poller is the oldest running back on this roster, which is odd thing.
Speaker 6: It's also because that position is a young man's game.
Speaker 5: No doubt about it.
Speaker 2: But you bring in Leonard Fournette, and that adds a guy that has a veteran playmaking ability, has been there, like you said, been there, done that, won a Super Bowl, played with the best in the game, and it honestly compliments exactly what.
Speaker 7: You're doing at all the other positions.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I can be talked into that. Also, I still want to see what happens.
Speaker 6: My other factor with that, though, is too is the fact that I don't I don't care about Tony Pollard making a run at the rushing title. I need Tony Pollard to be as healthy as possible in January. So another running back or too have to step up that you feel confident giving the ball to, because obviously playing running back you're not going to be completely fresh in January. But you saw what they were with and without him. That has to be a goal to try and get, you know, win as many games as possible, But you want to get to January with Tony Pollard as healthy as possible because he's one of the best weapons you have.
Speaker 2: He only has one game in his entire career where he has over twenty carries one game.
Speaker 5: Everything else has been under twenty carries.
Speaker 2: So if you expect him to come in and have twenty five thirty carries and carry that same load as Zeke did whenever he was the number one back or when he was the bell cow back, that's not a successful formula.
Speaker 5: I mean, you want to.
Speaker 2: Allow for Tony Pollard to continue to grow as the season goes along, but you don't want to overload his plate.
Speaker 5: And so that's where I'm worried.
Speaker 2: That's the same way too, because if one of these guys doesn't step up behind Tony Pollard, I don't want to overload his plate because that takes away what his game is. It takes away the home run threat that he is and it's there. Instead, it wears him down over the course of a season. Not in my interest at all. But Leonard Fournette could be in my interest.
Speaker 7: I like that idea, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Hay talking cowboys love the show.
Speaker 2: From the eight one seven, Billy from Grandview wants to know about the tight end John Stevens, So we'll tell you about John Stevens. Are they gonna hide him and some of the other young talent on this roster or are they gonna play him and let him shine?
Speaker 6: I think you have to play him because when I think of the tight end position, Jake Ferguson's young, Peyton Hendershat's young, lu schoon Maker's young. So I can see wanting to see stuff from them, but you really need to see a ton from them, and so I don't need those guys playing all games. So I mean, it's just out of how many bodies you have on the roster. I don't think that you're gonna be able to hide John Stevens. I think he's gonna have to play.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think so either.
Speaker 8: Also, Billy from Grandview shot out to the grand View zebras one of the best high scheed mascots.
Speaker 7: In the state.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I don't think you can hide either him or Princeton fan Stretch and Bull as they've been called. But I it's gonna be tough. It's gonna be really tough, especially because you want to see what he's been doing out here downfield. You would like to see that translated into a game environment. But I understand the centnimon and wanting to maybe hide him, but I think that's gonna be tough to do.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's a great inflatable. They have too.
Speaker 7: The Zebra. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh, and they have their their helmets are like the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 5: Know the Cincinnati Bengals helmets are like grandw Zebra's helmets.
Speaker 6: I apologize.
Speaker 5: No, they've got a great football program out there.
Speaker 2: The uh kind of adding on to what you said, I think Billy's trying to hide him, to put them into the stash him to the practice squad and allow him to come up.
Speaker 5: But I mean, you got to give.
Speaker 2: These young guys, especially if they've shown promise on the field, you got to give them a chance to play.
Speaker 7: Let them play a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be a lot of fun to see John Stevens continue to grow. And it's not like tight end number four is a solidified position. You've got the three guys that you know are probably going to be on the roster. Ferguson, uh, Hindershot and scoon Maker.
Speaker 6: I think the quans On too, to be honest with you, you think.
Speaker 7: So, I do.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a lock, dude, would you be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I don't think it's a lock, but I'd be surprised if somebody jumped him for that four spot. It's possible. But yeah, there's just there's when you lose Adulton Schultz, who is you just know what you're getting. He's solid across the ball, and then now you move to this youth movement. There's just something about having a guy who he has veteran experience in mckewn that I think would be nice to keep in the room.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he's had a great camp.
Speaker 8: I think he's shown a lot this month that you know, people wanted to see out of him, and even coach lindw Wells tight end coach lind Wells, he talked about it. I think it was last week when we had availability with him and he said, Shawn's really come in with a different approach here and he's doing really well.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna disagree. I'm gonna think John Stevens is that tight end for right now. I just think he's shown too much to not put him in that spot. And there's been times when, especially on film, when Sean McEwan isn't in the right spot, or he's not able to hold a block, and.
Speaker 5: There's things like that.
Speaker 2: I I don't dislike Sean McEwan from a veteran step from a little bit.
Speaker 6: And if I room isn't one of.
Speaker 2: These, he's probably right here. He's in building signs Sean, but you.
Speaker 6: Might be able to sneak him totally, where if John Stevens keeps showing out, then maybe you feel like you can't let them go.
Speaker 5: That's ultimately the conversation.
Speaker 2: I think there's a tough conversation is going to happen in the tight end room. But we've talked about this position before in TJ from Baltimore.
Speaker 5: He wants to know.
Speaker 2: Which position is more likely to go along whenever the fifty three man cut comes here in a couple of weeks, wide receiver or corner. So we're talking about tough decisions at tight end, but you also have some at wide receiver. You also have some at cornerback, which one do you think out of those two wide receiver a corner that would be the most likely to get an extra player or two.
Speaker 8: I don't think either of them will eventually go long. I was earlier in camp I was thinking maybe receiver. But if either of them are two, I think it's going to be receiver, just because I think at the top of the cornerback depth and even you know, once you come into four or five, six, there are some really solidified guys there. I think it's a little bit more solidified than if you looked at the other side on the receiver aspect of things. So maybe they would want to carry an extra receiver as a result instead, But I don't think either of them go along for receiver.
Speaker 7: Seven. Seven, Yeah, for corner, probably.
Speaker 2: Eight eight corners sounds like it would be a lot.
Speaker 7: And it does.
Speaker 2: Probably guys I'd probably say, I'd probably say seven six is normal.
Speaker 5: Seven would probably go long for both.
Speaker 6: Are you counting Jordan Lewis as one of those six or seven though?
Speaker 7: Yeah, probably probably Okay, So I don't.
Speaker 6: Think they're keeping more than six receivers. I think getting we see if they cut down the roster a day. I just think it's pretty cut right now that it's that those top three, and then for me it would be Jalen Tolbert Turpin and Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that would be my ex So.
Speaker 6: If you were going to go seven, it would be seven for you.
Speaker 7: Seven would be Yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't feel like anybody's really popped out since that first week because Jalen Moreno, Cropper came out of the gates swinging. But since the pads have come on, it's kind of been tempered a little bit. Simmi Fajoco, I mean, this is this is the camp for him to prove it. Yeah, he's had some bad drops out here, He's had some great catches as well. He had he had one on Saturday I believe was from Cooper Rush that was downfield created separation on Nasehn Wright and it was fantastic. So I would like to see Simmy Fojoco in that seventh spot if there were to be one, But I'm not confident in that.
Speaker 2: I think even guys like Cropper and Barbin and even at times Tyron Johnson, I really like what we've seen from Tyron Johnson. You talk about trying to stash a guy that might be the guy to stash. They they've all had camps that are at least comparable to Simmi Fojoco. And if that's the case, I mean that's that's not a great indication on what Simmy.
Speaker 5: Simmy's roster impact is gonna look like.
Speaker 6: But who takes over the Noah Brown role without Simmy? You think it's Brooks, I think it's.
Speaker 7: Got I think it's Brooks.
Speaker 8: I think on special teams as well, I think top to bottom, I think Jalen Brooks can take over his complete role.
Speaker 2: From everything that we've seen from brook Brooks, he is willing and able to go and play specialty. If John Fossil even talked about him a little bit in a side conversation and he likes what Brooks has brought, I still think John he wants to see more from from Jalen, which I mean that's fair being the special teams coordinator. But at the moment, Jalen is showing more from an offensive standpoint than I think everybody anticipated. So there's there's parts of his game that can continue to grow, which is what makes me excited about Jalen Brooks, and that's why I think he would get that that sixth spot. Uh what about Okay, So let's play the numbers game on cornerback real quick, Diggs, Gilmore, Nay, Sean Wright, Bland, Jordan Lewis five, Eric Scott.
Speaker 5: Eric Scott six, and now you're getting into.
Speaker 6: Some for me, that's my group.
Speaker 5: Do you count C. J. Goodwin, you count him as a special teams team?
Speaker 7: I think I would.
Speaker 6: I think it comes down. I don't know how how they keep CJ. Gowin and Kelvin Joseph. It's gonna have I think it would have to be one or the other there for a special Teams purmases. Just because those first six corners that you mentioned, I don't see how he not keeping them. I don't see how you would want to make any of them available to other teams.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that's tough for Kelvin, especially with a rookie coming in and balling the way he has, and you know Jordan Lewis still you know he'll eventually be back, but that's gotta be tough for Kevin Joseph too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to see the riding on the wall because of course, I mean he's a second round pick. That's that would be a big bust for for the Cowboys overall, and man, I I just I don't I don't see a whole lot happening from the cornerback spot outside those first six names. I mean, if you're even adding seven, I think that's stretching it because then you're you're you're cutting short of positions like defensive line, linebackers, safety.
Speaker 5: You need some of that overall. I think last year they kept ten dbs.
Speaker 2: I think it was six corners and for safeties if if I'm not mistaken, and I mean for safeties, is even going to be a tough conversation Donovan Wilson is or I'll go Donovan Wilson, Malie Cooker, Jay Ron Curse and then Bell or Tom. I mean there's a couple guys there that you could also have that conversation for you as well.
Speaker 5: All Right, one more this is from.
Speaker 6: Real quick on that. Yeah, with mkwamou he can do so much and the silver stalta where he can help at corner. I think that also factors in why you probably wouldn't keep more than six.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, that makes sense too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could be kind of that flex guy, gives you that versatility.
Speaker 5: For Dan quinn uh.
Speaker 2: And we might have already answered this question just just in that last one. But a fan from Long Beach, California says, who needs the preseason reps more to prove their growth, Jalen Tolbert or aforementioned Kelvin Joseph in order to shoe the coaches, or show the coaches. He said, shoe, but to show the coaches that they are ready to take a jump into the regular I.
Speaker 6: Mean, Calvin Joseph needs go. Jalen Tolbert's already in a spot where, like I said, he to me is the clear four. Whereas, like we just talked about how talented that Jaguars team is. If you sat there and Kelvin Joseph just had a great day against some of those receivers, against Trevor Lawrence gets a pick something like that, that completely changes because that's a lot like like I never played football at a high level or anything like that. I played basketball my whole entire life. And so for basketball, you can go play pick up and you've got a pretty good read on how players are and something like that. With football, like you could be like a really good flag football player. But then when like the pads come on, it's a totally different game. And so because of that, like as we see here today, a lot of the stuff I'm saying is going off of where these players are right now. But you go and have a monster game in the preseason, that's going to hold a lot more weight than stuff that you were doing on this field.
Speaker 8: It's got to be Kelvin Joseph just because Jalen Tolbert he's He's not in any sort of jeopardy and any by any stretch of the mean. So, you know, Kevin Joseph going out there and balling during the preseason, I think that would be a lot more indicative of where he is rather than Jalen Tolbert.
Speaker 7: Going out there and balling during the preseason.
Speaker 8: I think Jalen's spot right now is mostly solidified as long as he doesn't, you know, something drastic doesn't happen during the preseason.
Speaker 5: I might I might catch from some heat from saying this from certain.
Speaker 2: Areas fans, but I mean it's say with your chest Thursday, but I think, I mean, I want Kelvin Joseph to make this team, and I feel like a lot of Cowboys fans have written him off because of either off the field issues, on the field concerns and things of the sort. I want Kelvin Joseph to make this team because in order to make this team, he's gonna have to flash, like a second round pick with flash. So that's where I'm at. If you're a if you're a true fan of the Cowboys, you want the success for the guys that you've drafted higher because that's why you draft him higher, because they have the ceiling, they have that opportunity.
Speaker 5: Guys like Tristan Hill is a great example.
Speaker 2: Tristan Hill would have flashed like the second round pick that they used on him, he would still be on this team, but he's not because he didn't flash, and now you don't benefit at all. So I want Kelvin Joseph to make an impact in the preseason. I want him to pick off Trevor Lawrence and do something great because if that's the case, that means he's showing a little bit, He's showing a little bit of that flash, a little bit of that hope to where hey, maybe one day we can put him in there as a team and as a defense and allow him to be successful. That's where I'm at. I want him to show that. I don't want him to just fade away and then end up on the off the roster. I want him to be that guy and he just hasn't been that yet.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying they look at it this way, but this is kind of how I look at it. As you know, you look at draft picks, second round pick, you do not want this to be a swing and a miss to this level. And obviously you can go through the Cowboys second round has been the kind of an achilles heel several years. But with the Kelvin Joseph thing, I can easily if that doesn't work out, I can easily quantify that is. But you got drown Bland, so you know, sure, And it just kind of balances out for me like that. I mean, that's the thing. There's a lot of there's a lot of guests work when it comes to you know, drafting and how you rank your prospects and things like that, and sometimes you miss in the second round and sometimes you get in the fourth, fifth, sixth.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's just a balance of it, right.
Speaker 2: I just want it all to work out, though, I'm just selfish like that. I want it all to work out. I want I want to have Trayvon Diggs and Stefan Gilmour. I want to have dron Bland and a second round caliber Kelvin Joseph, Like, that's what I want to see on it.
Speaker 6: I mean, it also hurts his chances just because of the effect of the layers you name, like they're loaded on defense. If this is just an okay, give you a better example. If this is like some of the Cowboys defenses in the past, you're probably just like, yeah, no, he's on the team, he's the second round pay whatever. No, they would loaded on defense, So you're not just gonna be keeping guys and not keeping other players because you're just stacked so much. It's not just the starters like you're too deep. It's just so solid that that factors into all of this.
Speaker 7: That's a solid point.
Speaker 8: Kelvin jose would definitely be on this team, no doubt if this was what twenty eleventh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty eighteen, I think absolutely honest too. Yeah, yeah, completely agree. All right, we got to take our second break. But when we come back keys to a successful preseason, we're not even gonna say a win, but we're gonna say keys to a successful preseason. We're gonna give you one player to watch coming back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has eighteen five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash by g for you for details.
Speaker 11: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team go online at Black Riflecoffee dot Com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com to fuel up today.
Speaker 2: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 9: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 3: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier.
Speaker 5: To cry on?
Speaker 13: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve better.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys. Final segment presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This segment, specifically, though, is brought to you by Invisile Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Have mine visial line in as we speak. Bet you didn't notice.
Speaker 6: I'm amazed by that. My brother's got him too, And like he lives in Michigan, and when we've talked on the phone, I didn't even know that he had been. That was always thing I was worried about, like, you know, getting them and then when you're talking on our total you're gonna have like.
Speaker 7: A lisp or something, you know.
Speaker 2: I was totally worried about it, no doubt, Like as a play by play announcer, as as a broadcaster studio host, I was terrified that it was going to change something.
Speaker 7: Nothing.
Speaker 2: It feels great. Honestly, I could call a game in him. I have called games in.
Speaker 5: Them, uh, and I mean they've been fantastic, So you.
Speaker 7: Will call games in them too. Shameless plugs.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, I like your transition. All right, Nick is learning. I love this.
Speaker 2: The uh yeah, Saturday four pm Central Time kickoff.
Speaker 5: We got three pm countdown to kickoff.
Speaker 2: Hailey, Sutton and crew will join you from this sideline of AT and T Stadium. Then four pm Isaiah standback, Bill Jones and myself will be in the booth.
Speaker 5: We'll call that game. Really excited about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a dream come true to get to call a game at AT and T Stadium and the main TV boost. That's that's gonna be an absolute blast. I mean, uh, super excited about it. But I mean I'm also just as excited as a Cowboys fan to see these guys out there too.
Speaker 7: I think that's gonna be a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 6: You're talking, you're in that You're in that booth that like Realmo and nanc are in.
Speaker 5: Huh uh huh yeah, we're in that main booth.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure. Okay, so you're you're directly across the field from Jerry and like because it is wild, like if you haven't been to AT and T Stadium, like it is interesting how they have like it's almost like it comes out into the stands where the TV main TV booth is and then where Jerry and and Steven and and like Will McLay west the games.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I even for college games, I never had a chance, like as a Cowboys fan, to get down in the lower Bowl for a Cowboys game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I never got to walk by Nance or Romo or I guess.
Speaker 7: At that point it was Nansen.
Speaker 5: Uh, I forget Phil Sims.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was it was Sims at the time. But never got to walk by those guys. But during college games, like if Baylor and Texas Tech were playing, or if it was the Cotton Bowl, I would.
Speaker 5: Get down there and I would walk by and I just kind.
Speaker 2: Of peek in see who was in the booth and who was there. And so it'll be really cool to actually sit down and call a game.
Speaker 5: Or I'll probably be standing and get.
Speaker 7: Shaking or I don't know.
Speaker 5: We'll see, we'll see how that ends up working out.
Speaker 2: But really excited about the opportunity once again four pm Central time kickoff CBS eleven in Dallas and then the Dallas Cowboys TV Network as well, and then it'll also replay on NFL Network the next morning, So if you miss it live, you've got it, and if you're out of market, you'll get it the next morning. I believe it's eight thirty Central Time is when it airs on NFL Network, so you'll get to see our broadcast there as well. But as we wrap things up, I want one key to a successful preseason, and I also want one player to watch, John on who you have your eyes on going into that first game against Jacksonville?
Speaker 6: Oh, one player to watch too? Was fun. As I mentioned earlier in the show about the Cavante Turpin, what if duce Vaughan, you know he's going to get a chance to return, I would think, because it doesn't sound like Cavanti Turpin's gonna be returning any kicks. Kavanti Turpin's gonna play, but it doesn't sound like they're gonna have him doing any returning.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: What if duce Vaughan has just a monster game returning running everything? Uh, that would be wild. That would be such a huge, huge storyline coming out of that game. And then one aspect, did you.
Speaker 5: Say, what is the key to a successful preseason?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, obviously it'd be great to have two or three reserve offensive lineman step up. But even if you had one or two, let's say Josh Baul, you were just like man, I think he's ready if they needed him, he could step in, Matt Will let's go something like that. If if you come out of that, I don't even think you'd care what the scoreboard said.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's one of two ways to go with the key. I think you definitely took one of them. I think the other one would be a running back. Two emerges and it's solidified and that's it. And so for that Rico Daubteles who I'm really looking at going into this first preseason game. So two running backs.
Speaker 7: Wow, I think this.
Speaker 8: Like I said last week, this running back position probably has that's the biggest spotlight going into the preseason, just because it's still relatively unproven. I doubt Tony Pollard gets much, if any work. So it's they're gonna have their opportunities, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: That's gonna show you exactly what it will mean.
Speaker 2: I mean if if somebody breaks a big run in one of these preseason games, I mean it's gonna steck out kind of like the Cavante Turpin thing. Deuce Vaughn runs at sixty yards to the house, or Rico Daddle breaks a fifty five yard touchdown run. I mean things like that are going to stick in our mind because everybody's watching for it, everybody's waiting for it. I think, of course, the easy key is health. I mean, get out of it healthy for sure, no injuries. Make sure everybody's ready to go for Seattle, and then after that for Las Vegas, and then after that for Week one, And that's the most important going into that matchup with the New York Giants. But I think I don't think I'm too far off from you guys. I want to see what the ground game can do because but I want to I want to take another aspect of it, though it's for the play calling side of things, because with this West Coast scheme, with this West Coast offense, Isaiah's talked about it, but we talked about it on his first show on Talking Cowboys out here in Oxnard. If you can't run the ball, it is tough to be successful in a West Coast offense because of the principles that it has, because of the way things are set up, and it all feeds off of the run. So yeah, offensive lineman steps up, that's fantastic. Running back steps up, that's great. But if you're able to run the ball effectively, that's going to open up the entire offense. And I think that's that's what I'm looking for. I want to see the ground game continue to grow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're gonna need to see that front seven, stay honest, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Oh no, I was just gonna say one other one is clearly Brandon Aubrey. They would love for out there, every kick, make it and just look like, oh yeah, no, no, no, this is the guy. I don't know why anybody had any doubts. This is gonna be the guy the entire time. They would love to come out of this game saying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the same thing I said a little bit earlier about the running back position of Leonard Fordettz out there, he's floating around, But it would be nice for one of these guys. And I want to see what you have with the guys in house. I think it's the exact same situation at kicker. See what you have with Brandon Aubery. He's gonna get a shot to make every kick, make every pat go out.
Speaker 7: There and do his thing.
Speaker 2: But then once, once things go wrong, or if things go wrong, then all of a sudden, you've got to have some conversations there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, I think, okay, what's what's a yardage mark that if he hits would be okay? I think he might actually be the kicker? Is it forty seven? Is it fifty plus?
Speaker 7: Fifty plus?
Speaker 5: I want to see a fifty plus?
Speaker 7: You want to see a fifty plus?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I do too, I mean, yeah, absolutely, But I would like to see a kick longer than what he's made out here. I think the longest one he's made out here. Uh, correigt me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 6: Forty three that sounds right, yeah, forty three. So what's the longest you think they've attemted? I can't remember see anything beyond forty eight.
Speaker 7: Forty seven, forty eight? Yeah, I want to say forty eight's right?
Speaker 5: Is it just one of the mojo moments?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Once right? Put it? They pushed him back a little bit.
Speaker 6: Oh and one more thing in the running back thing you said about the four net thing. Oh yeah, believe me, you would love one of these young running backs to be the guy to step up, because for me, if that's the case, then it's not even just about this year, because you're gonna be looking at next year to running back is gonna be a major thing going into the draft or agency all that, Like you would love her because for me, if you're doing Leonard Fournette, it's a one year deal, that's not even part. If one of these like Malik Davis Riquodout will do or all of them step up, then you're it's not just about like, man, that's great for this year. This is great for the position going forward.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and that's probably why they want to see these guys go ahead and play it out with this preseason.
Speaker 7: That's probably a valid reason why.
Speaker 5: All right, before we go, I need one one thing you need from me in the booth on on Saturday with what's one either like a like a keyword or a touchdown call.
Speaker 2: I want you to give me something just just so that way, And this isn't just for us at the desk, This for everybody listens to talking cowboys. This is gonna be my way to shout you guys out, so you remember this. Whenever I'm in the booth on Saturday, I'm gonna find a way to fit it in.
Speaker 7: What what is the word or the phrase.
Speaker 5: It can't be like a hot knife through butter or something cheesy like that. It's got to be something that fits in.
Speaker 7: But just know when you hear it that.
Speaker 6: That it's this is very easy for me, very easy for what.
Speaker 8: Is Chris Beavers at the back saying no cap. If you could say no cap during a broadcast, there's no way you can pull it off. Though, I'm gonna say, I'm just gonna I'll let you go first. John, I'm gonna think of one.
Speaker 6: This one I was gonna say, just because of what we read there about that mascot being the Zebras. If you can call the Raps at some point the Zebras.
Speaker 5: That's way easier than saying no cap. So I like that idea a lot. That's a good one. Though that'd be a shout out to Grandy two.
Speaker 7: It would be. Man, I'm thinking hard.
Speaker 5: You're trying to you're trying to think of something.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say, plush as a pillow. I feel like you could work that in plush as a pillow. He's like, he's like, my best thought here.
Speaker 6: He's like, I'm going no cap we'll work that in.
Speaker 2: I'll see if I can work in any of those three. If I can work in any of those three, everybody at home will have a chance. They'll they'll know I'm talking to Talking Cowboys Nation. I'm doing I'm doing the people's work. Okay, I'm here. I'm gonna try and I'll try and knock out all three. If I can get all three in there, then we're.
Speaker 6: Gonna throw an It was.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, that's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys. Hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on Monday to break down everything we saw this weekend from the Jacksonville Dallas matchup at and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: But we're here Monday.
Speaker 2: Wednesday, and then we make a trip to Seattle and it'll be a whole lot of fun. John, You're not here next week, right.
Speaker 7: I'm not.
Speaker 6: But I want everybody to know out there that this is some of the worst weather. It looks like it might rain every's out here, and I want you, I want you to know for the record that we were gonna keep going. We were through the rain, yep because that's what Taylor swift'sman doing. And we can do the same thing here.
Speaker 5: I love it, very nicely done.
Speaker 2: For Chris Beam in the back, for Nick Harris, for John Machoda, swifty of all swifties. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long. We'll see you next week for more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.