Speaker 1: Body yady yady yady, yadyadyada. That's all I know is that body yadayaddy is.
Speaker 2: What is that? Come on? You know it?
Speaker 1: Body YadA YadA YadA, yady yady yady. It's Meghanese Stallions.
Speaker 2: That's correct. I got it.
Speaker 1: That's contemporary.
Speaker 2: You got it right. Good job.
Speaker 1: You didn't know.
Speaker 2: I knew. I was no idea, my Megan.
Speaker 1: I could have said anything, just then, Well, I could have said Depeche Mode.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Actually, I would listen to Depeche Modes cover of Body by Meganese Stallion.
Speaker 2: My body, the audist Body.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's what Meganistall is saying.
Speaker 2: But okay, well, no, that's Depeche Modes cover.
Speaker 1: That's their version. Yeah, there's something kind of cool about listening to covers of songs from completely different genres where they're like fully re arranged, Like postmodern jukebox is a good example.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's tons of them, and it's it's always really fun.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: There was kind of a joke about all the tweet ukulele like white Girl covers of rap songs, yeah, which, yeah, that got a little boring, But there's totally totally some really cool covers out.
Speaker 2: There, really into For a while, there was a series called picking On, and it'd be like picking on the shins, picking on, that's cool, Maggoty's tying. I don't know if they ever did make an these sing but it was all bluegrass covers of pop music at the time, early two thousands. It was it was good stuff. I liked it. I'm not you know, I don't go looking for bluegrass, but it's cool to hear I know this song, but it's the banjo cover.
Speaker 1: Right, and like a different, different vibe.
Speaker 2: Like what if Old Chrome Medicine Show did Cold Play? You know?
Speaker 1: Oh, what if you just come out with yellow Wagon? We all Yellow?
Speaker 2: Actually, when I was learning guitar and the twelve songs that I learned, I did do a country version of yellow Oh really a country version, but like, yeah, bluegrassy because it's a way i'll tell you why. It's a way easier strumming pattern than anything slightly complicated. I was like, I can't play most of these songs, but I can play them. If I didn't Getting Geting Getting Game alone, wrote a song for.
Speaker 1: You get the twang in there? Oh that yep? I love that.
Speaker 2: I just got charged thirty two million dollars from Chris Martin.
Speaker 1: I don't think they make.
Speaker 2: Who's conscious uncoupling? We have not yet covered on this show, but I looked into it, and I'll tell you here's why I haven't done Gwynethoucher and Chris Martin story on this show. It was kind of boring. What it just wasn't that much to it, like that.
Speaker 1: The the two world were boring together.
Speaker 2: Well, the news batting around the term conscious uncoupling is how they and that was silly. That is, it was very Gwyneth. Other than that, it's really not very much to the story is like a couple separated amicably.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know conscious uncoupling. I guess they just felt like breakup was too violent or something. Yeah, so it was like, no, we're both amicably fine with it, and we decided as a couple to not be a couple. So we want a different phrase than break up, which I do get. I guess i'm conscious uncoupling. Maybe it's just because Gwenneth said it. It seems one pretentious and it was intolerable.
Speaker 2: Literally waiting to jump in with that because if like some if I'm at a party and someone's like, well, yeah, me and Ryan we we I don't want to say we broke up, but we just like, you know, we uncoupled, like we consciously uncoupled. Yeah, I'd be like, Okay, I totally get what you mean by that. That's a you know, it's a unique way of putting in and I you have communicated the emotion, like the meaning that you're trying to communicate. I get what you mean. Yeah, but the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow said it made me. It's just like, oh my god, woman.
Speaker 1: Now it's like a rock for your regina or whatever.
Speaker 2: And it's like, no, I do feel hot take. Sometimes I feel a little bad for Gwyneth Paltrow because I do think that generally she wants to be a kind person. She wants to put goodness into the world. But she she can't help that she's so disconnected from reality because she she's rarely experienced it. It's you know, her parents are rich and famous. She grew up Gwyneth Paltrow and now she's Gwyneth Paltrow. And you know, downvote is because she's really profited off of you know, some snake Yeah, that people like genuinely believe in, and I don't know, maybe people are getting helped from it. Some people are helped by snake oil sometimes those people like it turned my life around, even it's placebo effect, whatever it helped me. I'm not gonna say those people are wrong. But she's asking for a lot of money from people and telling them I can cure you. So that's where I don't like Whatneth Paltrow. But I don't think she's nefarious. I think she's just a little clueless about what that Like that grocery store trip I remember during the pandemic, She's like, here's what I can buy with It's so difficult for people who only have twenty dollars. At the grocery store. I could only get six limes.
Speaker 1: Like, why did you get that many lime?
Speaker 2: How am I supposed to live this week?
Speaker 1: You went to like boutique cool foods, not even whole food, but like the rich people whole food. It's like an avocado costs fifteen bucks or some shit. I'm like, what is this meal?
Speaker 2: It's just a banana, Michael, what could it cost ten dollars?
Speaker 1: That Gwyneth Paltrow no, I think you're right. What is that? Is it Handlan's razor or something. It's that philosophical like a Ockham's razor, but it's a razor where you're supposed to not assume malicious intent, where you can where you can say something was ignorance or or just incompetence or something, you can't assume maliciousness something like that. I'm not saying it well, but it's yeah. And I like that because I was like, it's true. It feels like the problem with the Internet and the way it's making us talk to each other is that you have to you just immediately assume malicious rightness, and it's like you're trying to be as as fucked up as you can be right now, when in fact, most of the time people are just being thoughtless or like, I literally don't know what you're talking about. And for some reason I felt the need to type that. I don't know why, but people do do that. Just want to say to everyone out there, it is always an option to shut the fuck up, like you can just not contribute to a conversation. That is literally it is peace too. It is claim your piece.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, do not It's been involved. This is like your one of your key things, and I love it. It's very true, and I've exercised that. I'll tell y'all that if you if you've done it, you know, there is no feeling quite like writing something out in response to someone on any social media forum and then deleting it before you post it. It's like, Oh, I'm free because I have this sometimes where I think about the reply I want to put on the Internet to someone. I want to I want to push back against something someone said. Maybe I'm not even trying to do an argument whatever, And I look forward into the future just a couple hours like this evening at six pm. There are two versions of me. One of them posted this comment, one of them did not. Their lives are exactly the same lives, except one of them is still irritated, one of them is still thinking about it, one of them still maybe even still in it in the in the argument. The other one has totally moved on and probably doesn't even remember the conversation to begin with. And I want that guy's life, Yes, And it's a it's a better life, I promise you all, it's a better A better life waits for you. Wrinkles, his blood pressure is lower. That guy is doing better, right, He's got time.
Speaker 1: To like work out or cooked a good meal because he's not sitting there furiously typing with his thumbs and getting a million notifications from ye dick. He didn't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he went on to some other posts and said, hey, good job today, friend, And that's it, and then you feel good about that. You're like, man, I hope I brightened someone's day a little bit.
Speaker 1: I know true. I will say whenever I've ever as you are saying, when you're typing out some long ash response to something I've noticed, I'm like, ooh, I'm typing this so poorly, Like all my typos are really bad, like so bad that autocorrect doesn't even know what the fuck I'm talking about at this point. And that's when I go, you know what, girl, Like, let's just delete. You're clearly either don't know what you're trying to say, so you're not saying it well, or you're too emotional so you're saying it a little too like you know what I mean, you're too worked up, so you're not typing very clearly. That means you're not communicating clearly, and there's no point in getting involved in this. You just need to did that that delete, Get the fuck off that app go outside, touch some grass. We have a friend who puts up a weekly like music challenge. His name's Nate. I think he listens to high nats.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: He always tagged me, which I appreciate because they're always really fun to roll through. And this week's was a hot take. He said, please put your just hottest of hot take and then please argue. I want y'all to really defend your specific music, specifically about music. And somebody said, I was not bothered by Rebecca Black's Friday you gotta get down on Friday. If anyone remembers that it was from like a billion years ago, you forget. But it was, you know, just a silly was she like fifteen or something. Tops she puts out this song where she's talked about hanging out with her friends on Friday, and it wasn't like a fantastic piece of music, but it was a bop. It had you know, it's kind of catchy. But everybody, I mean, she became super viral and people were really making fun of her.
Speaker 2: On the internet.
Speaker 1: Really and yeah, a lot of people. I didn't. I thought it was fine. I don't know. I hated her so much and one of our friends was like, yeah, people should really leave teenage girls alone. Just let them, just let them be.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: She just tried to put out a little stupid video with her friends, and she d up with like way more attention than she ever ever dreamed of getting. For that. That was probably a little fun thing that she was doing. Can you just let people be and let people live? Just trying to make something fun with her friends. She could have gone out and done crack cocaine, and instead she decided to make a fun hit.
Speaker 2: I could do one of two things today.
Speaker 1: There are too I could think a.
Speaker 2: Hit song for you too that's not that good, or I could do crack cocaine.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying crack cocaine's always on the list of options, and if you don't choose it, that day is a win.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know. I mean, yeah, I guess if I needed to, I could go find some.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I could find crack cocaine.
Speaker 2: I mean, we live in Atlanta, Like, I don't think we'd have to go far as all. I'm saying you're right. Yeah. Like if a doctor came in right now and was like, Diana's got an hour to live unless she smoked some crack cocaine, I'd be like, I'll be right back talk. I know where to get I don't even need the car. I'll be back in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: You think you could buy crack cocaine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not far from the bell, right, we could.
Speaker 1: We could find crack cocaine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Line, well, I'm glad we don't want to, though, So do not reach out and tell us how to find crack cocaine.
Speaker 2: Because we don't need it. Diana will live many years without.
Speaker 1: It, I certainly hope.
Speaker 2: So. I know we've got quite an intro today. But I was going to say that I did go to the movies last night.
Speaker 1: You did.
Speaker 2: I didn't saw Blue Beetle, But without Diana.
Speaker 1: It's weird to go. Yeah, not have seen it with you.
Speaker 2: Well, you weren't feeling well and my dad, you and me and my dad were going to go because my mom's out of town and she didn't want to see it, and we just figured, well, we're going to do something trying to get your dad out of the house yet, but yeah, you were feeling well. So it was just h just a boys night.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. When the bank's boys cut loose. We uh. We went to our favorite bar and had I had a black bean Burger's delicious. My dad had a some kind of salmon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew it because he always talked he loves it.
Speaker 2: He loves it. And yeah, it was pretty wild. We had I think three Guinnesses between the two of us. He had too, I had one, yes, yeah, I know who had to. And yeah, then we went and saw kids movie, so pretty wild. You know, when the heads away, the roosters get cut loose, I'm telling you pretty good. I thought the supporting cast was awesome. The lead was great. I love that guy.
Speaker 1: I love him. But it's just for the stupidest reason.
Speaker 2: It's not a stupid reason, it's a great reason.
Speaker 1: It was like in twenty seventeen or something and Fringe put on our first five fifth shows the inter Festival, and we to take a movie, classic film that you know everyone's seen, and split it into five parts and give each part to five different groups, and then in one day you see the most unique retelling of the show of all time, and the first one we ever did was Karate Kid and happened to be when Cobra Kai was filming here in Atlanta, and so Ralph Maccio came to see the show.
Speaker 2: I sure did.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ralph, that was really nice to you.
Speaker 2: In the show in our our theater group section, I was playing Daniel Son and for that we.
Speaker 1: Also made it.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 1: They also made mister Miyagi instead of Bonzi trees, he had weed plants and they really liked that. All the producers were there too of Cobra Kai, and and Soolo thank you was also in Cobra Kai. He also came to the show, had a great time whatever. And then like years later, a friend of ours is like, I think a makeup or hair person something on Blue Beetle and is doing sholos like makeup or hair and says something about, oh you uh, you were in Atlanta for Cobra Kai. Did you like Atlanta? And he says, well, yeah, I don't really remember except this one show that I saw at this church. They did this weird karate kids show. It was so good and she they told me, and I was like a fing out thing. He remembers about Atlanta. It's my show. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: So Diana's now his biggest like show is the.
Speaker 1: Main He's my favorite superhero ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't I hope he doesn't do something really problematic one day.
Speaker 2: He's a charmer. He's got star power. I'm looking forward.
Speaker 1: I have heard that he's really Yeah, he really carries that film very well.
Speaker 2: We haven't watched Cobra Kai. I know we.
Speaker 1: Really Shore's it's been on this shows.
Speaker 2: We don't need to tell you y'all know, all right? Speaking of TV shows, I don't know if you guys remember Alias.
Speaker 1: Where are we going with this?
Speaker 2: Stay with me because I'm just going to relate it back to what we're doing right now, because I remember when you and I watched Alias, and what was so weird with that show. Sometimes they'd beat eighteen or twenty minutes into the episode, and then the opening credits would come up, like multiple scenes and then into the block then the Alias theme song would start.
Speaker 1: Oh we haven't.
Speaker 2: Done that yet.
Speaker 1: I remember I remember distinctly one time watching and like we were like in our bed or something, and that happened and we both were like.
Speaker 2: The episode was almost.
Speaker 1: There's like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Left, like they'd already resolved whatever, you know, espionage they were doing.
Speaker 1: She'd already taken the wig off, right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, eat your heart out, change abrams, because that's what we're doing today. But we gotta let's say, it's been a minute. We got a lot of we got hate, we got a lot of projects in the work. We're gonna be telling you all about soon, cool stuff, can't we. But but today we do have a ridiculous promise to talk about more than.
Speaker 1: That's right, because yeah, I was just recently going through our list, which y'all know the list, the mystical list, So.
Speaker 2: It just it's like our TV list. It just keeps getting bad.
Speaker 1: It is so long, you guys. It's like four hundred plus names on it, couples on it. But yeah, we went through a couple that were kind of short, but they were still like really fun, cool, ridiculous romances that we want to share with you. We couldn't nix them completely, so we decided to just throw them together into a nice goodie bag for you. This is it the end of the birthday party, and you're getting your little erasers and oh and your little can.
Speaker 2: That's your goodie bag. I always thought of getting kicked right in the goodie bag. That's what I always think of for our show.
Speaker 1: And okay, I'm over here giving away pencils. But all right, you guys, kicking you in the nuts, whichever one you prefer, encil. Some people like to get kicked the best. Some people love it. Well, this goodie bag is really fun. It goes from medieval Germany to colonial America to seventeen hundred Sweden, and then to Norway in two thousand and four. I say, let's get to it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Hey, their friends come listen. Well, Eli and Diana got some joy to tell. There's no match making, a romantic tips. It's just about ridiculous relation ship, a love.
Speaker 1: There might be any type.
Speaker 4: Of person at all, and abstract concept or a concrete wall. But if there's a story worth the second Clans so ridiculous romance.
Speaker 2: A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna start with the siege of Weinsburg.
Speaker 2: Weinsberg, Weinsburg. Oh, ladies, Am I right? We've all sieged? Winesburg went through twice after a long day.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Winesburg has seized me. That's for sure. This is before Germany was Germany, guys, Because in eleven thirty seven the Holy Roman Emperor Lothair the Second died and they're.
Speaker 2: Star wars name Loath the Second. I guess you're right, Emperor Loath.
Speaker 1: And he looked a lot like Grievous. So there needed to be a new Holy Roman Emperor.
Speaker 2: You know, you know Grievous.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know what he looks like.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love this look.
Speaker 1: The Holy Roman Emperor Grievous died.
Speaker 2: General Kenoby.
Speaker 1: History would be more interesting if there are more weird sidebords now, all right, So there needed to be a new Holy Roman Emperor. You can't have a Holy Roman Empire without a Holy Roman Emperor. So at the time there were these two really powerful dynasties, the vez and the Hohenstaufen. I'm sorry, and I don't care if they don't stand like that. That soundsome.
Speaker 2: I think they do. That's just what makes Germans such an amazing.
Speaker 1: But it might be Howen stealfen Well, the vels Heir Henry the Proud was a Bavarian duke. He had also been made the Duke of Saxony. He was married to Lothair's daughter. He had been with Lothair when he died, so he possessed the crown jewels. Basically, this guy was a sus ooo or powerful candidate, and he stood for election as the King of the Romans, which is already very interesting to me that they elected the King of the Romans and I didn't know that, but that's cool. But local princes did not like Henry the Proud because of all the things that made him be called Henry the Proud. Apparently they were like, this guy's real high in the end step or something.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm just proud, I'm not a hogen Stalfen.
Speaker 1: Oh I hate that. So they elected the Hohenstaufen candidate, who was named Conrad the Third, and Conrad told Henry, listen, return the royal jewels. Henry said, no problem, I will do it. You can be the Holy Roman Emperor. All I want is to keep the Duke of Saxony the Duchy of Saxony, because Lothair made me the duke and you need to ratify it or whatever, okay, And Conrad was like, I don't like that if you have two duchies or whatever. They're duchies, douchees.
Speaker 2: Don't get too douchey.
Speaker 1: You can't get too douchey around Conrad. But he said, no bodyship two dukedoms or whatever. That concentrates too much power into one set of hands. But not only did he not let him keep the Duke of Saxony, he also took away his Duke of Bavaria territories, He took away all everything man, and he gave both of them to a guy named Leopold, which is also really weird because he just said nobody can have two Oh but except for my friend Leopold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that really pissed off Henry. Politics just hasn't changed, not at all. I'm gonna seriously punish my former candidate and rival and reward my friend with the exact thing I just said shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Legal, right exactly. So Conrad the third.
Speaker 2: Was he an American senator, really.
Speaker 1: A modern guy kind of guy.
Speaker 2: I'm the best duke, I'm the best emperor that Germany's ever had. Everybody says, so.
Speaker 1: It was a perfect, the perfect just like me.
Speaker 2: I am all right. Well, okay, so Henry the Proud is feeling a little burnt by.
Speaker 1: All this, and as I would as well.
Speaker 2: His loyal subjects in Saxony and Bavaria were none too happy about it either. So with their support behind him, Henry the Proud rose up against Conrad and said time for a war.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Henry actually died in eleven thirty nine, so he didn't get too far into this war. But his son, Henry the Lion, Uh not actually a lion, just disclaimer, it's just lion. Like. He was like, I'm picking up the mantle. My dad started this war, I'm going to continue it. And he continued the conflict himself. He's still supported by all the Saxons. So King Conrad is getting sick of this shit, and he decided that he was going to besiege the city of Weinsberg, where Henry lived, and he was going to destroy it and imprison everyone who defended it. A against him, He'll just punish anybody who.
Speaker 1: Sports this guy scor policy.
Speaker 2: Now, Weinsberg was not able to last against Conrad's army, so they negotiated a surrender in eleven forty. Now, under the terms they agreed upon, Conrad said, okay, well we're taking the city. We're imprisoning all the men. But the women are allowed to leave and take what hover they can carry with them. That's the rules I'm setting You pick it up, you you can carry it, you can take it. Go get out of here, ladies.
Speaker 1: You sounds so much like Frau Blucher right now. I just keep excited to be like, ohverty over.
Speaker 2: It feels very doctor scratch and sniff to me at any rate, parody German accent, terrible. My apologies to all the great people of Germany.
Speaker 1: All right, well, According to the Latin chronicle Chronicle Reggia Coloni, which was compared in the eleven seventies, the women heard this decree, they kind of thought about it for a minute. They look around all their homes and worldly possessions, probably exchanged a couple of glances, and looked back at the hohen staff an army, like you said, anything we could carry?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, that's what we said, Oh great.
Speaker 1: And then they hoisted their husbands onto their shoulders and carried them out of the town. Oops, you got got Oh my god, I think that's amazing. Anything I can carry, well, I'm gonna carry my man. She put him across their shoulders. Like a furtle, and so I can't took him the fuck away from fines.
Speaker 2: Hey, the women of Finsberg, they can lift.
Speaker 1: They must be sturdy, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: The men of Weinsberg a light anyway.
Speaker 1: One of Conrad's dukes protested this, but as the chronic estates quote, the king, showing favor to the women's cunning, said that it would not be fitting to change his royal words incredible, So he let him get away with this.
Speaker 2: Oh, ladies, that's pretty clever.
Speaker 1: I've learned about a loophole.
Speaker 2: Next time you got me. What can I say? I'm not too big to admit it now.
Speaker 1: Listen though. This is kind of interesting to me though, because I feel like Conrad was likely like, well, now you're my subjects. Why do I not want awesome, badass intelligence subjects? All right, ladies, get up in here, become part of the whole and stuff and family or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Plus, I'm sure that they you know, I don't know, he just besieged their city. But the fact that he was like, okay, all right, I'm gonna let you have this one, you know, it probably made it a little less hard to subjugate them. It's true, they're probably like that. He was nice enough to, Oh, you.
Speaker 1: Know, he was gonna let me keep my tea towels whatever. I don't know what they have.
Speaker 2: There was least wife of Winesburg who looked at her husband and her tea towels. Wow, it's a really nice teatowel.
Speaker 1: All right, She's like, I just stuffed this very nice down mattress, and I don't think I should babe it. So there were two to pick from.
Speaker 2: We each got one. Incredible. You can't script that book. This the kind of gold we get every day when the mites are of Oh all right, well, this incredible story became known as the Loyal Wives of Winesburg and the Castle Ruins are today known as the weiber Troy, which means wifely loyalty. Cute, but most people likely recognize this story because it was a plotline in the hit film Ever After starring Drew Barrymore, where her character saves her prints in the exact same way.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, she like lifts them off a horse.
Speaker 2: Also, a peace agreement apparently between the Velfs and the Hopenstaufins was finally reached in eleven forty two, Just in case you're about the political curious about the political ending of this story.
Speaker 1: We all, it doesn't really matter because neither of them around but anymore, but didn't last. But surely the hohen Staffins were like, all right, well, so you guys some pretty dead people, So let us let us sit down.
Speaker 2: That a great story.
Speaker 1: I love it. I obsessed.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's turn our heads from Germany to Sweden. Some more high quality accents coming on here, We're gonna look at the Fallon Copper Mind or Falloon Copper Mind. This place operated for a full millennium from the tenth century until nineteen ninety two, which is crazy that it lasted till just seven years ago. That's wild, just just seven years ago ninety two? Wow? Wow, is crazy how time goes by. Well, this place supplied more than two thirds of the world's copper, right, so you can imagine this is like a you know, a pretty giant operation, going pretty deep into the mountain to get a long Yeah. And on December two of seventeen nineteen, workers opened up a long unused tunnel in the mine and they found the body of a dead man inside. Both of his legs were amputated and missing. But his clothes, skin, and hair were all intact. He looked like he just died pretty recently. But no one had been reported missing, not in the mine or anywhere else nearby. So they pulled the body out of the mine, you know, try and figure out what's going on in here. And then things got even weirder because once the body was out in the open air, it started to harden, almost like it was turning to stop, and they started calling it the petrified miner. I was a petrified miner when I was a Jurassic Park I was ten years old, went to the theaters and escaped me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was once a petrified miner. Listen, if I had to go into a mine, I would also be a petrified miner.
Speaker 2: True, at an age, any age.
Speaker 1: At any time. I don't want to go into a mine.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe maybe you know the felon copper workers or whoever wanted to figure out who this guy was, or maybe somebody just had an eye for a dollar.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: For some reason, it was decided to put the petrified miner's body on display, and one day a local named Margaret Old's daughter went to see it, and, imagine her surprise, she gazed on the hardened, intact face of this miner and realized she knew exactly who it was. It was her fiance, Matt's Israel's watch. By the way, fat matts means fat Matt oh. Okay, so his name was just Matt oh. And I guess he was a little there. There were three mats. I hate fat mat He's like, yeah, proud of it, right. But this was even weirder because fat fat Matt had not disappeared recently at all. Margaret informed the authorities that he had actually disappeared in March sixteen seventy seven, forty two years before he was found looking perfectly preserved in this tunnel. What so, what is going on here?
Speaker 2: Creepy?
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to tell you right after we hear these fine words welcome back.
Speaker 2: Okay, So real spooky stuff here. A body was found in a mine, looking pretty fresh, looking ripe. It comes outside and it turns to stone, and the only person to claim she knew who it was says it was her fiance who disappeared forty two years earlier. Well, what the miners had found was actually a natural mummy, and that's, of course when a body is unintentionally preserved by environmental factors like extreme cold temperatures or low oxygen environments like bogs. If anyone remembers our recripulous romance episode about the bog body murder, fet Mattz is a lot like the Natural Mummy from that episode that tricked poor Peter into confessing that he'd killed his wife. That's right, that's a great episode. Oh, it's so good. So Fet Matts actually had died decades before, and he was just naturally preserved by the mine. So they did what any logical, forward thinking town would do, and they put his body on display and charged tickets to come see him for another thirty years. One Swedish naturalist, Carl Linnaeus went to see him and suggested, Oh, this guy, he's not petrified. He's actually covered in vitriol, which is so known as copper sulfate.
Speaker 1: Nandor is cute you doing in here?
Speaker 2: You will all forget that I ever did this accent.
Speaker 1: I wish I could.
Speaker 2: I wish it was the people of Sweden also, So anyway, he's saying, this wasn't petrified, but it was covered in this copper sulfate. And once the copper sulfate was cleaned off the body, he said it would start to decay naturally. They did, and it did, which if I hope they opened a window.
Speaker 1: Seriously, the man disgusting, but for a guy who never got married, that match inspired a lot of lovers. So after Margaret identified him, a second woman allegedly came forward, also claiming to be his fiance, which could have been a fun triangle for us to dive into, but most people thought that she was just doing it to collect miners widow's benefits.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, she was just lying.
Speaker 1: And also, while fet Mats was on display for thirty years, he became a really big inspiration for German romanticists. They wrote like short stories and ballads about him. Wagner even wrote a libretto about him in eighteen forty two. So then, finally fet Mats was buried in seventeen forty nine and rested in peace until the eighteen sixties when the church was doing some renovations. They unearthed beet Mats once more, and maybe somebody had an eye for a dollar because they decided to put him back on display.
Speaker 2: What he can't have looked very good at that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like I don't know. But anyway, in the nineteen thirties he was finally finally laid to rest in the church's graveyard. Okay, so for somebody who died unknown, unbeknownst to anyone. In sixteen seventy seven, he kind of got around.
Speaker 2: Do we know why his limbs were all missing?
Speaker 1: Like speculation station? Okay, this is gory, Okay, but I'm imagining gets shut up in a tunnel, he doesn't die right away. Did he eat his own legs, ate.
Speaker 2: His own limbs.
Speaker 1: Or I don't know how, maybe gets stuck under a rock fall or something. It's like a twenty seven hour situation.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if his limbs decayed before they were before his body.
Speaker 1: Was preserved, but why how would it have done that?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I don't lose all the temperature in your arms and legs first, like I know geologists.
Speaker 1: You lose all the temperature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean your arm's cool off first because they're not at the center of your body. That's science.
Speaker 1: Probably that's something like I don't know, I don't know, but I was definitely like the implications are dark. Yeah, maybe guy eat by rats or something.
Speaker 2: Rats.
Speaker 1: We're talking to mine. It could be anything in.
Speaker 2: That kind of stuff in mind, but a water filled.
Speaker 1: Tunnel, so oh there was some water in there. I don't know. It's very interesting scientifically.
Speaker 2: Though, what can happen in forty two years?
Speaker 1: Very true?
Speaker 2: Well gross?
Speaker 1: And I also wonder about Margaret old Statta because it's like forty two years went by since her fiance disappeared. Huh did she ever get married? Because she clearly didn't care. She's like, oh, yeah, this's my fiance. But I mean, y'all keep looking at him. I don't care about that. Oh man, so I'm like a shitty boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Speculationation he was a shitty boyfriend. She chopped off all his limbs and threw him in the mine. Oh shit, but she was smarter than Peter. When they found him. She didn't confess, that's right. She was like, I don't know, you got god, he disappears long ago.
Speaker 1: How weird. That's that kind of thing about history that makes me happy. Is it just evidence of little nicknames? Oh yeah, you know things like that. We're just like, this is just a guy who would go hang out after work, you know, and everyone's like, he is that mad, he's.
Speaker 2: A club you know, what a fun what a not fun story? I don't know. I almost said what a fun story? That little last bit was fun, That last.
Speaker 1: Bit was fun.
Speaker 2: Pretty horrific, Poor Fett, I would say the opposite of fun, poor f Matt. Yeah, weird. All right, Well, let's move a little forward in history backwards. Let's move somewhere in history.
Speaker 1: Backwards, little backwards.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I guess that's yeah, that's fine. We love going back in time. Yeah, go, I'm back and we're going to the sixteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: England Thomasine Hall. She was born in Newcastle upon Tyne right around the year sixteen hundred. This person was raised as a woman. She was wearing women's clothes, doing women's work like making lace. No exclusively for women, only a lady's job. But in sixteen twenty four Thomasine had enough of that. She chopped off her hair. She changed her name to Thomas, and they followed their brother into the army when England declared more on Spain. But then this Thomas left the army, came home, grew the hair back out and said, nope on Thomasine again.
Speaker 1: Time to make some lace.
Speaker 2: Time to get back to making lace. I did was a soldier for a while. Going back to lace making, one of these things is more comfortable than the other.
Speaker 1: Making lace is hard work, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, in sixteen twenty seven they decided to travel to colonial Virginia, and then again they became Thomas Hall, dressing in men's clothes. And that's because traveling as a single woman wasn't super comfortable or safe, and also because Thomasine intended to be an indenture, that is, someone who worked for free in the New World in exchange for their passage over. That contracts very eat. I know a lot of people were taking advantage of in this system, but usually there was a seven year indenture, and of course male indentures were worth more than females. Uh so they could pay off their debt more quickly because you had to make a lot of lace.
Speaker 1: Ship ticket, clean, a lot of scruble, lot of chamber pots.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when Thomas got to Virginia, they dressed like a man, they acted like a man. They did hard labor in the fields cultivating tobacco plant But then Thomasine started alternating their appearance. They would dress as a man one day and as a woman the next. And that just caused a lot of drama in this small colonial village.
Speaker 2: Right. I was gonna ask, is this like Missus Doubtfire, where she's pretending that there's two different people, or she's just like today, I'm Thomas, today I'm Thomasine.
Speaker 1: I think it was more like that. It was just like, you know, today, I'm wearing the apron, get used to doing some sweeping.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow I'm making your lace, I'm scrubbing your pots, whatever, and I'm picking the tabat checked it up.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I contain multitude.
Speaker 2: If anyone's ever said this.
Speaker 3: Multitude, sue are contradict myself.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this this is just Couslona tra I mean, we're talking about Puritans here. So anything anyone doing anything out of the ordinary at any time was like, oh shit, something's going down. We got to all get together and talk about this whatever. And then, to make matters worse, rumors started flying that Thomasine had slept with a maid. Now this could be a really big problem. If Thomasine was a man, was Thomas, they were guilty of fornication and they needed to be punished absolutely, because this is a very punished based religion s. But if Thomasine was a woman, then funnily enough, no crime had been committed at all. Ladies sleeping with ladies, puritans, no problem. They were like, no sex is happening. They just were laying together in a bed, sometimes on top of each other, sometimes not.
Speaker 2: If you can't have sex, if the thing's not going inside the thing, what else could that be? Ow?
Speaker 1: Oh, they were roommates, they're just very good friends. So they really need to find out if Thomas was thomas or if Thomasin was Thomasine. They had to know for sure. So three very respected women examined Thomasin and they came out and they said, that's a man, no question about it. That is one percent of dude.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay.
Speaker 1: But then Thomasin's employer, John Tyne, who owned the indentures, said no, no, no, Thomasine's a woman. Thomasin works for me. They do woman stuff. I know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Then things got even more complicated because another farmer named John Atkins said, I want to buy Thomasine's indenture and have them work for me, but I'm not going to buy it unless I know which gender they are. Because as we already said males are worth more than females, so that would change Atkins' price. Yeah, and he's like, I need to know how much you know this person is worth, which is a crazy thing to say.
Speaker 2: If I could get a woman's price for that laborer, for that farm laborer, that I'm it's a good deal, right, women in it?
Speaker 1: Now that's true. Maybe that was more it's like, hey, I a woman, but you can work as a man. Yeah, that's John Atkins should have been thinking. He wasn't thinking. He should have been like, yeah, Thomasine, total girl, here's four dollars. Now I get to do seven dollars worth of work with you.
Speaker 2: Right. So now a third farmer comes in to interview Thomasine, and Thomasine confessed that they were born with both male and female genitalia, but quote had not the use of their male part.
Speaker 1: That's right, they were they were an intersex person right now.
Speaker 2: The farmers all agreed that Thomasine was a woman, but the three women who had initially examined her were not happy with that verdict, so they decided that they were gonna examine Thomasine again, but this time, no heads up, no no fair warning, or prep time they went in there to look while Thomasine was asleep, no consent, no warning, just I'm gonna lift the sheets up here and take a look for myself. Now. Another time, Thomasine was just walking down the road and two men decided to examine them right there in public. Again, no permission.
Speaker 1: Now this is crazy to me. They're just walking down the street and somebody decides to like, I don't know, throw up their skirt, like throw them on their back on the streets and just expose their genitals to everybody. Now I know too that like I believe, at least in this you know, bodily autonomy was not a thing like people. You know, it was like your body doesn't really belong to you, especially if you're a woman. So I was like, I'm gonna go look at whatever I can touch and i can look. But this seems insane for such a conservative society again to just be like flash the whole village right now, try to figure out whether you're a man or a woman.
Speaker 2: But you know that's what they're trying to do in places like Florida and stuff that It's just like I'm going to I'm first I brought up the shame for it, and now I'm going to use that against you because I don't have shame, right, I'm just trying to shame you, right, And I mean you have.
Speaker 1: To assume if there was no question about what gender this person was, there's no fucking way that anyone would let them examine them in the street. Do you know they would have gotten in trouble for that. But because they were unusual in some way or another, their body doesn't belong to them even more, you know what I mean. So I'm allowed to look at it, touch it, humiliate you, display it however I want, because it's different than I think it should be.
Speaker 2: But does it not also feel like at a certain point that is the long term goal is like I want to just be able to do that to anyone. Yeah, I want to be able to you know, it's sort of a stop and frisk, like, you know, I'm not really sure what gender you are, so I should be allowed to look.
Speaker 1: And people out there are not smart. So I saw somebody staying that women don't have anybody here at all, including arm hair, So if you have arm hair, you must be a man. People are sorry, but that is not true. Yeah, so anyway, it's just upsetting. But this is you know, American history, y'all goes way back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So these guys that stopped Thomasine on the street examined and said that thomasin was quote a perfect man.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, that's so nice, me a perfect man. Suddenly, mishumiliation is good of nice.
Speaker 2: Well, it was decided there that Thomas should wear men's clothes, do men's stuff, go by Thomas, all that, But Thomas was not going to get away with pretending to be a woman. Now that we've decided you're a perfect man, you need to be punished. So in sixteen twenty nine, they dragged Thomas thomasin to court, right, and this.
Speaker 1: Is why know this story. Yes, of course there's court proceedings recording recordings of this.
Speaker 2: They wanted history to know what they were doing. Yeah, they thought this is a good idea.
Speaker 1: We need to really make some precedents for some reason on this. And weirdly, the governor who was deciding everything, you know, the judge sure I guess injury of the time, decided that you know, ruled officially that Thomasine was both male and female, rather than picking one and saying stick to it. It was like said, you're both.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that we can say the BINARYA is rigid. Perhaps gender is fluid and the society will construct.
Speaker 1: If only, if only, because that was not the case at all. That does sound kind of progressive from today's standards, I guess, But unfortunately, the sentence that Thomasine was given was that they had to wear both men's and women's clothings, So they had to wear the shirt and breeches of a man and the apron and cap of a woman at all times, Like at all times, that was your outfit now, And PBS points out that actually this was kind of the cruelest punishment that the judge could could have come up with, because it meant that no matter where Thomasin went in the world, everyone knew they were different. They couldn't hide anymore. And this was this was a society that truly prized conformity. You know, you're not supposed to be out of step with anybody. So this was a real, real.
Speaker 2: Punishment, probably kids giggling in the street, not.
Speaker 1: A moment's piece, you know. Ever again, you know, and unfortunately, Thomasin disappears from the written record after sixteen twenty nine after this case was decided. There's nothing else written, so no idea if they stayed in the village, if they what happened to them, But you know, no marriage likely was allowed for them, so they couldn't build a family. I mean, you know, it just was probably the most fucked up thing you could have done a scene. And then, of course, you know, many many, many years later, Catherine Hepburn would go to jail for wearing pants as well.
Speaker 2: Wild wow, But that is just an.
Speaker 1: Interesting kind of look at colonial politics and being intersex in history. I just think that's crazy, fascinating that like examination in the streets, Yeah all that. Yeah, I'm furious.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wish I could time travel back to sixteen twenty nine punch him in the face. Yeah, just a nice punch in the face. I could. I wouldn't change it because I don't know how you could change it, but I would punch him in the face.
Speaker 2: I want to go back in time and show them, like, you know, one of those JQ spreads of Harry Styles. Yes, I like, look at that future, you losers.
Speaker 1: Honestly, in sixteen hundred, they'd probably be like, look, we left all that court stuff behind for the aristocrats because they were all wearing lace and yeah, and dresses and high heels and buckles, and I mean men were very beautiful. They were very powdered and painted in sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the women were dirty in their hands making all that lace.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: More men, probably more more lace than women because they had little those ruffles.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well they had more money, I will.
Speaker 1: So they probably look at Harry Styles and be like, yeah, seen it. Whatever, I've seen better embroidery on you know, Lord Chiswick, but I don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're gonna go find a whole Lord Chiswick was We're going to take a quick break. We do have one more story for y'all, and we're going to tell you about how you can have sex to save the world. We're back with that right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Let me try that again.
Speaker 2: Like a parrot about.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everybody.
Speaker 2: All right. This one was sent to us by Corn Shaffley, who suggested that we look into fuck for Forest, who they said, quote, I had quite an entertaining encounter with them, but I know it's controversial for good reasons, not exactly romantic in the strict sense of the word, though smiling.
Speaker 1: Oh right, good will, We are going to go into this, but Karin, you're gonna have to tell us what your entertaining encounter was, because I still I'm.
Speaker 2: Very I want to know, all right. Fuck for Forrest is an environmental activism organization founded in two thousand and four by an early twenties Norwegian couple named Tommy Howel Ellingsen and Leanna Johansen. Now they wanted to do some good in the world. A lot of early twenties s folks looking out there for you know, their way to make a change. Yeah. Sure, And as Tommy says, quote, we had nothing, just our bodies. You don't even want to know what they keeping their tuperware? Sorry, good and ill did. So these two realize that, hey, you know what makes a lot of money out there, porn, that's right, So they said, quote, why not use that money for good? So they told the Norwegian government that they were starting an alternative environmental activism group. They got some seed money and they started up a website where you can pay twenty bucks a month for a subscription to access a bunch of their sex tapes and photos. Now SFGate dot Com looked at their stuff, so we didn't have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: And they say that it's mostly the quote gentle burning men esque Tommy and Leona and their friends having sex in various combinations, often in the outdoors, of course, but also in sex clubs, apartments, and studios, and that the content quote runs the gamut from couplings involving vegetables used as sex toys to performances by scary looking, shaven headed German goths and is unflinchingly graphic. All right, wow, okay.
Speaker 1: All I can think it was Mac from Always Sunny being like, now that's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Where because you know how, what was that website again?
Speaker 2: Horrific? I can't believe the stuff's out there. Tell me the website so I can be sure to block it.
Speaker 1: I want to make sure if I have a filter setup.
Speaker 2: I don't accidentally log in, create an account and pay twenty dollars a month. He said, twenty right, is that American dollars?
Speaker 1: That American organ Well, things got controversial fast, as you can imagine. When Tommy and Leona went to a music festival in two thousand and four to promote their organization. They got on stage with a band called the Coum Shots. I guess that makes sense. All right, we're on theme here.
Speaker 2: For when or when gar wasn't available.
Speaker 1: I guess when is too tame, you call the gumshots. And they gave a speech about the human impact on forests, and then they asked the crowd. It was about five thousand people there, and they asked them how far would you go to save the world? And you know, everybody's surely cheering. I'm like, I like the world. I like the world. Meanwhile, they're taking their clothes off. Oh there's there's strip speeching, okay, and then they started doing it on stage while a banner was raised that explained that they were having sex to save the rainforest, which I guess, yeah, if you need a reason, I guess public exposure.
Speaker 2: I'm like imagining a guy jerking off on the Marta train being like, no, it's to save the rainforest.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well it's not really something you can.
Speaker 2: Just say to excuse the public in decency.
Speaker 1: It's not really And yeah, I mean maybe the crowd for a band called the Coum Shots didn't really have many objections to this I don't know for sure, but of course Tommy and Leona got fined ten thousand kroner or about one thousand, four hundred and seventy dollars apiece. Wow for a public sex act. Sure, because as you say, is public in DC. You can't have sex in front of a lot of people without asking them all first and making sure everybody's down and there's no kids, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Who wants to get up here and give me a hand job to save the whales?
Speaker 1: I know the whales will really appreciate it. And Tommy thought that it wasn't very fair that they got fined because Norway was fighting in a rock and they show violence on TV every day, and if we had only said it was performance art, they would have gotten away with it. A lot of different excuses coming from Tommy. Okay, another thing, then another, and I was like, none of these things are related to your public sex act, sir, About okay.
Speaker 2: We're having sex on stage to fund the military industrial complex. He would have been fine with that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get his point that, like it's annoying up in arms about sex when you are fine with like people's boy murders and bloody stuff, but like still a bit of a straw man. So you know, obviously we can tell they don't really respect this court decision at all. So they showed up in court dressed in children's clothes. Tommy dropped his pants at one point and showed his penis. Okay, I'm sure the children's close thing was like, oh, we're not grown adult, you know what I mean, Like they were trying to act like it was being patronizing or something, regulate sex or something. I imagine that was the message.
Speaker 2: Behind right right, you're just treating us like kids, right, can't handle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, and then Tommy you know, dropped his pants, showed us penis. Very creative.
Speaker 2: He's spreading around out.
Speaker 1: And they're like, not really and it's Norway and they're probably just like, I don't know, I have seen better.
Speaker 2: For a court case somewhat entertaining. I guess maybe that.
Speaker 1: Might be the most interesting court cases.
Speaker 2: Only the third time a deck has come out in the courtroom this year.
Speaker 1: Tommy also told the paper Nede Weissen quote, we would have liked to have fucked here in court as well. It's a nice space, but we would probably be thrown in jail.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, they left Norway after this, and Fuck for Forrest made their new headquarters in Berlin.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's where his senses kicked in. Yeah, you know, well, all right, sex, the courtroom is a little too far.
Speaker 1: That's too much. They'll probably throw us in jail for fucking in front of all of them for no reason.
Speaker 2: It's not like a Cumpshots concert.
Speaker 1: Let's be reasonable, which.
Speaker 2: I mean, Look, the Cumpshots pull five thousand people. That's a pretty good crowd.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a whole music festival. But that's not that's not bad though. It still five thousand that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more than we had for any of our live particulous promurements. Ye, both of them, both of them. All right. Well. Tommy also says that within three months of their arrest, they attracted one thousand new subscribers to their site. In fact, Fuck for Forrest collected one hundred thousand dollars within their first year from subscriptions, So you know what, take that. Yeah, fuck the haters.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous.
Speaker 2: We're saving the environment here.
Speaker 1: I wish my nonprofit would raise one hundred thousand dollars in the first year.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what you have to do. I will not participate.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm going to be able to do that either.
Speaker 2: Well, there was only one problem with raising all this money. None of the environmental nonprofits that they reached out to would accept this Cross Sex money.
Speaker 1: That's right after this controversy at the Cumshots concert.
Speaker 2: They said, we're gonna need you to figuratively and literally launder that much. Yes, more, we'll take it.
Speaker 1: I mean a good point. We don't know where that's been.
Speaker 2: So they decided that they were going to work out a way to give the money directly to indigenous people in Costa Rica and Brazil to purchase and preserve the rainforest. This again sounds pretty cool in theory. We often think like, man, if I had all this money, I would just go on to go hand it to people who needed it.
Speaker 1: It's true because you think about Red Cross or you know some of the really big ones, and they spend a lot of their money on administration, right or fundraising or like stuff, not the thing itself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, that can be really frustrating about charity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to show up with the cash and give it to who needs it, but a documentary called Fuck for Forest, whose tagline is have sex, Save the World, that came out in two thousand and six and followed them to Peru to give all this money away. According to critical reviews, Tommy and Leona and their friends aren't really welcomed there with open arms. The locals, of course, didn't trust them. No, you just got these very white I mean, it's as white as you can get it.
Speaker 1: They're dreadhead hippie looking, you know, basically not teenagers, but very young, very young people.
Speaker 2: And you know, the locals kind of make a point of telling them that they just showing up with cash is not really very useful. Their poverty that they're experiencing is lifelong and generational and has a lot to do, I'm sure, with people coming in and taking their resources and stuff like that. So you might buy me some meals, you might patch a hole in my roof, whatever, But what they really needed, they said, are jobs and sustainable sources of income. Right.
Speaker 1: And it's like, you know, I think the Fuck for Forest people are like, you would buy you know, an acre of this rainforest and that would be yours now, and they wouldn't log it, and they couldn't fuck around. But I imagine the indigenous people are like, you're talking about a David and Goliath situation where sure we can buy hectares worth of the fucking rainforest, but if they want to come through and log it or fuck, they can do that. Like we don't have power against these companies that you think. It's not just about ownership necessarily, even though I'm sure that is a big piece of the puzzle, yea, not everything. So it was they were just kind of trying to, i mean, kind of shake them into reality. I think a little bit.
Speaker 2: I remember in the nineties are like elementary school class buying an acre of the rainforest or something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm like, I wonder.
Speaker 2: If that's still there. Did that work? I wonder that you And also can I go there? And I'll be like, Hi, it's me from Miss Models first grade class nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: They have like a brick with your name on it.
Speaker 2: I expect nothing less.
Speaker 1: This is your tree. I thank you for your granola bar money whatever.
Speaker 2: I only well, okay, well, we'll say that documentary does have some marks against it because critics didn't feel like it really followed through on that revelation about the indigenous reaction or if that reality check really did anything for Tommy and Leona or the other Fuck for Forest members. So like, you know, we could have used more information, I think, is what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you know, that might have been a better story overall. It is to be like, so, if y'all are really going to do this, you need to be intentional, Like, you know, that's the thing about how they're not. They don't have a nonprofit in the strict sense of the word, right, it's not set up like one, but that's kind of what they want to do, and you need strategy to be a nonprofit. You need to know where the money's going, how it's being spent, and what's who's being serviced by it, and it has to be pretty otherwise it doesn't do anything. It's just money being flown around to different hands that doesn't really affect make lasting change. So it's really too bad that it doesn't get into that because it feels like that was really probably what they needed to hear the most. But controversy around Fuck for Forrest was renewed and twenty eleven, when three members went up to the Altar naked and simulated sex during Mass at the Oslo Cathedral.
Speaker 2: In my way, I remember this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think like the one of the priests was like, I just feel sorry for them that they felt the need to do that or whatever. And the only reason these three gave was that they quote wanted to express their love.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: But of course they did get some new subscribers out of it, so I imagine they just do these stunts to like kind of call attention to them, the organization, and get some more people to the site.
Speaker 2: Mass at the Oslo Cathedral. Oh, I just wanted to express them. Let me give you a list of places you could express your love. Right, that's not the center of a you know of a big family event.
Speaker 1: Like a religious ceremony, a.
Speaker 2: Religious ceremony, bedrooms right, public bathrooms, common place comshots, performances. You know, you just go to a concert. There's plenty of opportunities. You guys chose Mass.
Speaker 1: They were trying to get some inks billed about them and get some folks to the website. I'm not mad at them or anything for that. It just seems annoying that they would go. I don't I'm not a religious person. The organized religions are usually used for evil, this seems to be these days, and greed, and so I don't find them to be super sacred, but a lot of people do. And if they're at mass at a cathedral, you know, that's just disrespectful in a way that's kind of unsavory to me.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of places that I don't necessarily respect the institution, but I'm not going to go and disrupt it. Like I sat nice and quietly through that entire DC movie last night.
Speaker 1: You sure did you know?
Speaker 2: And actually I was pleasantly surprised. So I could have caused a ruckus.
Speaker 1: I could have made trouble. So Fuck for Forrest is still in operation today according to their website, which is fuck Forforest dot com. There you go, don't go to it.
Speaker 2: We're at work, Romance bump.
Speaker 1: Night out right, they be like, what happened? Don't go to it if you're a work though, because I did visit it when we were at switch Yards and it's full of very graphic naked photos. So I had to like be like click out of that website because some people are going to be like, what the fuck is that girl doing? But anyway, according to their website. They do have eight thousand activists providing contents to the website, so a lot of variety. I suppose. It's still not super clear how successful they are at distributing their money, but they do list several projects they say they funded over the years. They also claim that eighty percent of the money they collect goes to environmental causes.
Speaker 2: Okay, the other twenty percent goes to lube.
Speaker 1: Or cucumbers and cucumbers, I should say, so, I don't know. I mean, what do you think about fuck for forest? Do you feel like this is worth it? Do you think they're doing it right? I mean, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Look, I have a complicated, not a complicated relationship. I just I just find myself with complicated feelings about environmental activism groups a lot of the times, because I strongly feel that there should be more rage and noise and attention brought to environmental issues for all the passion I have for social issues that we have in this country across the world, which are paramount, I mean, the utmost importance. But they also don't mean, dick, if the planet kills us all, you're right, which I very much, And I don't know why this isn't the most obvious thing in the world to everyone. The planet is a living body, and much like our own bodies, when it feels sick, when it feels when its systems are imbalanced, it will heat up to try and kill the thing that is hurting it. That's literally what our bodies do. That's what a fever is, is trying to cook and kill the things in there that can't survive at those heats. That's what the Earth is doing to us as we speak, because we're making it exactly instead of I do like want to scream that from the rooftops, shake people until they pay attention, et cetera, et cetera. But I also think that you're not getting the right attention when you go out and irritate people to try and get them, you know, like throwing paint on you know, throwing shit on famous paintings that was going on last year, that was real big for a minute. There's value in protest, and there's value in disruption. There's even some value in you know, breaking windows and burning shit down. At a certain point. It has worked in the past to disrupt some pretty evil stuff. But also when you need everyone on your side, just angering them, ruining their religious ceremonies and stuff like that. I don't know. I don't see the evidence that shows that this brings you progress right now. So if they just want to fuck and sell porn and donate that money to good causes, I wish those organizations would accept that money.
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 2: The money's money I have covered in the cumshots, right.
Speaker 1: I think it is weird that they were like, I'm not taking your money.
Speaker 2: That's so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I understand if you're like, oh, this is a well known pedophile. I'm not taking their money. I get that, but like, this is all consensual, so it's like who gives a shit?
Speaker 2: Who gives a shit?
Speaker 1: It seems it does seem a little prudish of the non profits to be like, well, if you make money from sex, I can't somehow use that for leaves and trees and shit, Like why not?
Speaker 2: There might they might, now I don't know. Again, speculation station here. There might be an issue where they say, look, legally, I have to put you on our website if you donate this money. If I put fuck for Forest on my website, Google will stop showing my results to you know, Like it could be something like that where we don't really understand why. There's a real challenge there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know. These are also Norwegian uh ron profits specifically, I don't know what their rules are.
Speaker 2: So theirs would be doogle boat let me go on my babe site.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's sorry. I'm sorry Norway, that's the one.
Speaker 2: Sorry to the entire Scandinavian region.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are sorry to finish.
Speaker 2: I haven't gotten to you yet.
Speaker 1: Oh god, why would you? Why would you start?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Also the same exact accent for those.
Speaker 1: It's different in Finland, man, But I was going to say to your point, there is like a for example, there's an organization called Femen I think, okay, it's a women's organism, a women's rights organization in Ukraine and they do topless protests for women's rights and a lot of it is like a lot of people come to Ukraine and get or a lot of sex trafficking comes out of you apparently. And so they were like, Ukraine is not a brothel. Is like a movie they made a documentary they made about that, stuff like that, and they said specific you know, people were like, these bitches are always making so much trouble and whatever. And these ladies are like, the thing is is that when we protest not topless, nobody covers it. It's you know, punintended, but nobody. There's no attention. When we're topless, there's attension, and we bring awareness to because people notice and they want to be mad. It's like it's almost like rage engagement stupid food videos, but in this case it is actually for social activist reason. They're like, when we don't take our titties out, y'all don't care what we're saying, but we do get what we need when we do, so that's how we're going to do it. And they've been beaten up and prisoned, they've gotten death threats for doing this, so it's not it is it requires a lot of bravery for them to do that. And I understand that it seems like, I don't know, a little like a ten grabby or something. But they do make a good point that sometimes the nudity it's not about being I don't want to be naked for y'all, it's not like that. It's just that it will capture your attention because we're not supposed to be doing that. And so it's also a way to kind of say, this is my body and I'm allowed to display it if I want it. I'm sure, but I thought that was an interesting point for them.
Speaker 2: It is, and I think that's you know, there's a I don't know, I see a big difference there, and I have to say, maybe it's just because I intrinsically am like, oh, I support that, and I don't support destroying art in museums. You know, that might just be my own it's easy for me to say those two things without trying too hard, but my feelings are one of those things. While inviting a lot of negative attention has more I think of potential to attract positive attention. Where there's a lot of people saying, oh, I hadn't heard about you until the news put you on, but hell yeah, I support you, and the thing you're doing is putting yourself on the line, yeah, versus the other one that's saying, I'm here to destroy something you love and they're not. Usually this paintings are covered in glass anyway, and that all wipes off and they're fine. But you know, I'm here to literally just make everyone angry. There's a much smaller success potential in that to me, again, I'm not telling you the numbers. I don't know. Maybe they maybe they have got a lot of donations after their actions, but but you know, I mean, I'm just it doesn't feel as inviting, yeah again to me as an individual, so who knows the longer larger picture.
Speaker 1: But I feel that I think it's interesting to use porn in this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They they're not wrong. Porn makes a lot of money.
Speaker 2: It sure does.
Speaker 1: And they're like, I want to I'm willing to make it. Yeah, fine, you watch me have zex and the outdoors my girlfriend. Yeah, and I give the money to whatever to preserve the rainforest in Brazil, and I feel good about myself and this is my job. I guess it's just not bad or whatever. So it's I don't know, kind of speaks to some again colonial Virginia puritanism, right, which is weird to find in Norway, but to kind of say, oh, you're not allowed to you're not allowed to collect money in that way, even for a good cause. Like it's just it's just some something against porn specifically, right, or like being willing to put out a sex tape or something. We're not even talking about like porn stars who are like fucking different people every day. This is a couple doing a sex tape that they put out, you know what I mean. Like, even if you're like, oh, well, porn stars are promiscuous, we're talking about two people that are in a relationship doing it. So it's kind of I don't know. I don't really understand why it's a problem. The live sex stuff is, but the porn part of itself.
Speaker 2: I don't think about. They're like the base of what they're doing, Like if they're raising money again giving it to good causes and.
Speaker 1: You can donate anonymously most of the time. Sure, Yeah, it just seems weird that they and I'm sure that this happened too in like Oh for the right after, you know, when they're in the headlines, is like having done this live sex thing and how gross and what's going on? These organizations were like, no, we can't be associated with you. And maybe that's still the case in Norway. I had never heard of fuck for Forest, have you? No, Yeah, I'd never heard of it. Oh here, So I don't. Maybe it's still a really big thing in Norway and Berlin and stuff that like this organization is still out here.
Speaker 2: I like that they I like fuck for Forest. I wonder if how much work it tak it took to get to that, right, you know they're like, fuck to forest. No, no, not fuck the forest.
Speaker 1: We don't. That's what we're doing now.
Speaker 2: Fuck in the forest, fuck for the forest, for for for triple F.
Speaker 1: Well it's funny you say fuck the forest, because that was something that got when I was researching Fuck Ford Forrest. Ah, there's a lot about eco sexuality, oh boy, kind of tied up, which is really interesting. And it's kind of the idea that instead of an Earth mother, you have an Earth lover. Oh, and you treat the Earth as a sexy partner Earth. And it's it's kind of fascinating. It's kind of laughable. I guess you could laugh at it, but there's there's something really interesting about it. And well, I'm gonna work on it and tell you all about it in our next episode. Because it also involves two lesbian performance artists who are married and they did a bunch of like, uh experimental weddings to where they married the sun, the moon, the Appalachian Mountain, a bunch of like abstract concepts. Y'all know from the theme song that we love that trick, so I'm definitely gonna dive into the two of them. It's Elizabeth Stevens an Annie Sprinkle.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: To learn about eco sexuality because that's that's a lot about about using vegetables as sex toys or whatever. Like, it's a lot of that. It's very interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, you talk about an earth lover instead of an Earth mother, and I immediately think of Guya from Captain Planet because she was she was a smoke.
Speaker 1: Show Guya from Captain Plant, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, voiced by I think uh, Margot Kidder and Whoopi Goldberg. Oh I remember guy.
Speaker 1: Oh hell.
Speaker 2: In fact, I love that. When you google her, the first picture that comes up is her splayed out on a bed in a purple dress with her arms up or over her head.
Speaker 1: She does look like she's ready. She ready for a Fuck for Forest video. Okay, amazing. So I just want to thank her in Shaffley for this the suggestion, because Fuck for Forrest is really really interesting. It's a lot of naughty and naughty problems.
Speaker 2: All up in naughty K n O T T Y, like Tree knots.
Speaker 1: Oh, true, Well that's what I meant at first, naughty problems.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, but also not think meant like tied up in knots. Yeah, but I'm talking about tree knots. So there's three different Yeah, but there's three different meanings. That's true.
Speaker 1: I just meant they're spelled the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm talking about homonym's here.
Speaker 1: Sorry, apologies, Like.
Speaker 2: We came out so strong saying the same thing at the same time, and now we're saying the same thing. We're not getting it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. No, I said naughty.
Speaker 2: No, they should hear. They should know that.
Speaker 1: But also, Kurinn, thank you for sharing it because I learned all about femin the Ukrainian Organization of topless protests also the annual Global Orgasm for Peace.
Speaker 2: What he told me about this sounds fake.
Speaker 1: It is not fake. It's just small. But apparently people, Oh I get it. It is small.
Speaker 2: It feels like we've been faking the Orgasm for Peace for a few decades now.
Speaker 1: Apparently it is supposed to your everyone in the world is supposed to have an orgasm on the same day thinking about peace, and it's the day of the winter. The last day of the winter solstice. So if you think about it, December twenty first or twenty second of this year.
Speaker 2: Get busy Nonmber twenty August, late August. Now, yeah we could, we could get there by then. Yeah, if we start now, get where to orgasm? Oh?
Speaker 1: To orgasm?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, not to peace? That takes a lot longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we'll start now then. But yeah, so it was just interesting to like see that there were other other especially particularly environmental stuff, where they're like, we want to make environmental active is some kind of sexy. Now people think it's so boring, we're still like lame. So we want to make it fun and sexy, which is very interesting. And that's where yeah, we found about started looking into eco sexuals and very very fascinating, quite a spectrum of sexual experiences. Right, so we will get to that next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hope y'all enjoyed these crazy, wild, very disparate stories.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite? What was my Did you have a favorite?
Speaker 2: I don't know if if I could have a favorite, They're all my favorite. This is wild, I guess the most their husbands.
Speaker 1: I would say them fun. The most fun one is probably the siege for fine Siege of Vine A good time, A good time, but fat that's is pretty funny, very interesting. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope y'all enjoyed these stories. We had a great time telling them to you. Thanks again to everyone who sends this kind of stuff in because all your suggestions help. You know, they ruin our lives because these lists just keep getting longer longer. But I love the list, but my Pride Prize document, So send us some more. We'd love to hear you. We'd love to hear from you and send us your thoughts on these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your goodie bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks always for giving your time to us. I know we've been a little scattered lately, but we do have some really cool stuff in the works. Cannot wait to tell you about in the future when we can, and until then, we hope to hear from you soon. You can always email us at ridict Romance at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Right or we're on Instagram. I'm at Dianamite Boom.
Speaker 2: And I'm at O great.
Speaker 1: It's e like this show is at ridict Romance.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, everybody. We will catch out the next one.
Speaker 4: Love you, Bye bye, solong friends, It's time to go Thanks for listening to our show. Tell your friends names, uncles, and to listen to a show Ridiculous Wellness