Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to another edition of the KASR Pre Show. I Am Billy Religion. Today is Wednesday, April ninth. You can give us a call on the Clark's Pumpet Shop fold line that's eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven, or text us at five oh two two six five six six five six. I try to respond to a Texter two throughout the show and throughout the day. But as always, the KSR pre Show is brought to you by ital X Fine Italian Dining right here in Lexington on Main Street in the city Center, where I am in studio today with another special guests, we approach day three of Drewapalooza. We've had many guests on the pre show so far, including Jacob Polachek and the former college basketball coach Tom Creen, but none of them can top our next guest, that is Maggie Davis, another frequent KSR pre show co host.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Maggie, how are you?
Speaker 3: Good morning? Wow? What an introduction Billy Palooza.
Speaker 1: I'm excited, Well, Billy Paluza, I don't know. This is just another week without Shannon the Dude and all his vacation. It's it's Drew that's been calling on KSR over these last couple days, and with all the news dropping yesterday, he had plenty to talk about. But it's good to see you, Maggie. How have you been. How has this busy season been for you?
Speaker 3: It's been amazing. I mean it's tough to follow Tom Crean. I think he had a heck of a season with ESPN, and I saw him killing it in Milwaukee. He was great on your show yesterday. Great get as always buy a Bilir Sports. But no, our season was great. I mean you were asking me right before we came on about if this is a little bit of a less busy time. It is just because we're not running around to so many games and extra things that come with basketball and interviews and practices and that sort of stuff. But in general, there's still a lot going on. We're gearing up for the Derby obviously Lax eighteen that's a huge deal for us. So it's still a busy time of the year, still plenty to talk about.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed your trips to Milwaukee though recently, and I did, maybe not India as much, but fun to traveling.
Speaker 3: I Withdrew on this. I would love to never go back to Indianapolis, if only because I've never seen a win there. I'm starting to think I'm the problem. But I did like Milwaukee. The joke I've made like forty five times is if it was in Georgia, I might want to live there. It's too cold for me. But it was a very cool town and we had a good time in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I'm the same way.
Speaker 1: But it is an interesting time of year, just trying to figure out what's going on, right, I mean, with the transfer portal and the changes in recruiting. I mean you could have good information one day and then an hour later it could change. And we kind of talked to Jacob about that, right, I mean, it's just a strange time of year. And you are the co host of BBN Tonight, which runs every weekday at seven thirty. I caught the episode last night. I did my show prep. Maggie, don't you worry? You know, how has it been covering this transfer portal and recruiting season for you?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a lot of fun. Obviously. I take the perspective that I can't get my feelings hurt over the transfer portal too much. I know that everybody has different thoughts and sometimes it's a little fun to ride the emotional rollercoaster of oh my gosh, Pope hasn't signed anybody. Oh my gosh, now he signed six people. We don't have any room on the roster or nobody else could enter the portal. There's no other good players out there. Oh my gosh, three new guys just entered. Which one would we pick? You know, like there's it really does change so fast. As you mentioned, it is a lot to keep up with. I'm a little bit or maybe a lot type a. So for me, like I like to have my spreadsheet going where I have the player, the position, where he's what school he's coming from.
Speaker 2: Organized.
Speaker 3: I'm very organized, but a lot of it I can't actually use because on BB and Tonight is the official UK station partnership, et cetera. We actually don't talk about guys in any sport, basketball or otherwise until they sign on the dot all.
Speaker 2: So similar to the recruiting thing in high school.
Speaker 1: Coaches can't mention it, so the official station can't mention it.
Speaker 3: Correct we allow the same rules. So basically we are on the coaching staff no, but we we can't talk about people till they're official, So for me, it's mostly just about prep in terms of whenever they do become official. I don't want to be like, wait, do you Bonde I've heard that name before, you know, like I want to I want to know what I'm going to talk about whatever, because we really don't know when they will sign and when we will be able to talk about it. It could happen kind of fast. Plus I like coming on radio shows and talking about it. I'm happy to do that, of course, and at the same time, I'm still a fan, so I like keeping up with it for personal reasons as well. Well.
Speaker 2: It feels like I'm the opposite Maggie.
Speaker 1: And despite being a part of the UK network and being on the radio broadcast for each game, sometimes we just come on here and speculate about who's going to be on the roster and who could be a good fit for pope system. Last week was the week people were losing their mind panic where Kentucky was not getting the recruits, Louisville was getting a ton of them, so the sky was falling, Maggie. But as we have seen in the last week, Patients as a virtue, Mark Pope has brought in a lot of guys, including just recently the forward from Alabama Diabaatee, and then just yesterday we didn't even get to talk about it on the pre show. Jaden Quainton's the former Kentucky commit commits again to Kentucky after a year at Arizona State. And the way that this roster is filling out, Maggie, if there are no departures from an Otega Oway or Brandon Garrison, I'm starting to buy in a little bit.
Speaker 2: What have you seen so far? If you can comment, oh, I can comment.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is Maggie personally. It's not in any official capacity. We're just friends here, right, Yeah, you can just talk about it. But I'm excited about this roster. I don't know how you cannot be. I was honestly pretty excited about the roster before he went into the portal. That's why I wasn't in full panic mode last week when so many people were, because last year he literally had zero people on the roster, and so it was a little easier to panic and feel that time crunch of there are only so many players out there and you do need so many of them. This year, I never felt like Wow, it's an overwhelming need for this team. Obviously, there are positions you want to replace, positions you have to replace. Point Guard was a very important one for me to see filled another starting center. Hopefully Brandon Garrison comes back to have somebody to compliment him in that role. So for me, there were a couple that I was maybe a little bit more locked in on than others. But it is so, so, so important, I think to keep Otaga away and some of these returning guys who will be going into their sophomore year's Colin Chandler. I'm excited about seeing what jump he makes. Oh yeah, And I'm excited about the freshman I think this ushman class is really good. And you know, we've gotten to see Malachi a lot here recently with the state tournament, winning the title obviously with great crossing, and then going to the McDonald's All American Game and getting to see him against the best of the best in his class. So I think he's gotten a lot of shine and I'm excited about him absolutely. I think some of these other guys, I mean, you have Jasper Johnson. I had the chance to sit down with him earlier in the season in Atlanta and he was great. I'm really excited to see him in the blue and white and then Akad Lewis. I feel like it's probably the one I've seen play the least. I don't know if other Kentucky fans feel that way or not, but he's one that's more of a little wild card for me, and I can't wait to see how he fits in with some of the older veteran players popes getting around him.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: If if in the past it's been I can't wait to get to the NBA, this is going to get me there, it feels like that's changed to oh my gosh, I'm going to get to play at Kentucky. And it's been like that for many years. It changed a little bit during the Cal years, I think. But I say that because of a Jasper Johnson, who has been actively recruiting everybody in the portal to come to Kentucky. I say that because of Quaintans and his dad in some of the comments he made in an interview recently where he said, you know, we always loved Kentucky. We wanted Mark Pope to recruit us even when Cal left, and despite that, there was some time away Pope came back and sold us on the vision of what Amari Williams was last year. So I think the perception of Kentucky right now is very interesting because while they're still able to get some of the best of the best recruits, they're coming for different reasons.
Speaker 2: Would you agree for that.
Speaker 3: I agree with that for the most part. I also think they're coming now because they've seen it happen. There's a certain level of almost salesmanship. I don't say that with a negative connotation, but you do have to sell an idea of what Mark Pope at Kentucky will look like. Of course, last year, when he was going to living rooms all across the country and begging guys in the portal to come to Kentucky, he had to sell, well, this is what I did at BUYU, I promise it'll be the same at Kentucky, or this is what we want to do. But nobody had seen him actually do it because he just hadn't yet he had just gotten the job. And so now that you've seen his system actually translate into the SEC obviously we knew how many threes his team took at BYU. We know generally what kind of offense he was running there, but to see it actually adjust for this program and defensively too, and from a staff perspective, just to have another year with these assistants. And I think all of that plays into the fact that if you're a recruit, whether you're in the portal or you're a true freshman coming into college, you can actually watch what Kentucky did this year, the style they played with, the emotion they played with. You talked about the jersey and playing for the front. Of course, I think that first group of Cats we had this past year really laid the foundation in that way, and I think all of that cumulatively is what they can quote unquote sell this year, which to me is an easier buy. Then we think this is what we're gonna do, and we hope it's going to look like this.
Speaker 1: Mark Pope driving stick shift in South America, trying to meet recruits, or picking up Andrew Carr and bowling Green after playing issues and things like that.
Speaker 3: That was an awesome story. I'm sure we will get some stories that once this portal class is done.
Speaker 1: You know, kind of what were some of your takeaways from the season. You're somebody that is always interviewing players. You got to sit down with some players, you're asking the coaching staff questions as an unofficial member of the coaching staff, I mean, what were you struck by besides the weed of bis craze this season?
Speaker 2: I mean, wasn't an interview?
Speaker 1: Was it a I don't know, somebody being personable with you during a sad moment.
Speaker 2: What are some highlights from Maggie's That's.
Speaker 3: A great question. I think it reminds me of what I thought, mostly at the end of that final game. Of course, with their season over and for so many of the guys, their collegiate careers having just come to a close in such a tough game against Tennessee, and there'd been so much build up, and everybody in that locker room after the game is just so upset obviously that the year's over and they haven't hung number nine. This is a team that did not shy away from that expectation from day one until the last day of the season. So I think for them, sort of grappling with that was tough in that moment. But I left the locker room really struck by the perspective, and I think that is thing that comes with age, not that a freshman can't you take himself out of it in that moment, but it takes a really special player to, within fifteen to twenty minutes of your collegiate career career coming to an end, to sit there and really say, like, man, I'm heartbroken that we didn't get this done, but I am so proud of what we did this year. I had the best time of my life playing with these guys and playing for Mark Pope and playing for this fan base, and so for me, that spirit they really embodied it the entire season. But to see them sort of wrap it up in that bow, even in such a tough, sad moment, disappointing moment after they lost in the NCAA tournament, really speaks I think, to the maturity that was on this team, as well as how close this team was. One of my favorite things we did all year was ahead of Senior Night, we found one or one member or one family that was really impacted by each of the seven seniors. Obviously Kerkrisa had more eligibility, but we included him in this just from a senior standpoint, and it was amazing to me to see all the people who were touched specific by one senior or another. Right, so many of us fell in love with the whole team. But to find a kid who had Amari Williams come read to his class was awesome. Or a family that bonded over Kobe Brea because they're from New York and they never thought they'd get to see this New Yorker, you know, shouting out New York and BBN at the same time for the Wildcats in this way. So there just were so many stories. A little girl who had Andrew Carr visit her in the children's hospital, Like, there were so many stories like that that we didn't know and didn't hear about during the year. And to get to tell those stories of how this group actually went out and sort of touched the fan base. They didn't just talk the talk in terms of representing BBN and being a part of this community, but they actually went to Hazard and built a house for somebody, and they actually went out in the community and got to know these people one on one specifically. So telling those stories was really important and fulfilling for me this year.
Speaker 1: You Know, one I think about was Kobe Braa, one that was shared on the radio. He got done with an event, but somebody came up to him and said, hey, my mom lived a couple doors down. Yes, she's your big Vegas fan. Will you come say hi? And there was no thought process to it. He just goes and immediately does it and makes this woman's day part of the you know, kind of what we were alluding to. You understand what it means to wear that jersey and how it impacts the people around you. And that's why so many are so fiercely passionate about their own and their own getting playing times on these teams. Maggie, I want to ask you, sometimes players can be bad interviews. Sometimes it can be like pulling teeth to get information out of these guys.
Speaker 2: Is that something that.
Speaker 1: Improves as the year goes on, They kind of you know, they start to trust you, they see you every day, they open up a little bit more. I'm sure you've had times where it's it is like pulling teeth trying to interview so much players.
Speaker 3: Definitely that happens over the course of a year, and not just with basketball. I mean that's with any sport. We talk to every athlete on every team on UK's campus. On BBN Tonight, which is probably my favorite part of the job. Like we cover basketball so intensely, but we also spend so much time with gymnastics and softball and track and all of these other sports that deserves some shine as well. So absolutely every team has guys that are quieter and guys that are more outgoing. I mean, even on this current team, Amari Williams was very quiet, especially early on, but he was never, like you said, pulling teeth because he just was so open, transparent. He'd have a great conversation with you. But he has a totally different demeanor than a Kerk Crisa or a Lamont Butler, right, or any of those guys on this team who were so outspoken. I mean Andrew Carr. Talking to Andrew Carr half the time felt like I was talking to Mark Pope, like he was a little mini coach out there, if you can call a six' Ten Andrew carr, Mini but it felt LIKE i was talking to a coach on the. Staff and that was truly one of my favorite parts about this. Team there was no one on this team who was a challenge in any capacity to work, with to talk to, you to do an interview. With they were so great all, year and not just with, us but with. Everybody like you, said you just see them so. MUCH i don't think people, understand, like not that we know them, personally were hanging out all the, time but we do go to probably three press conferences a, week two, games talk to him pre seeum at warm, ups talk to him post game like it does add up over the course of a, season and then those little kind of side stories we get to tell along the way make a big impact in that way.
Speaker 2: Too i'm still frustrated we didn't get a full season Of Coro. Crisa it would have been.
Speaker 1: FUN i mean just we were a few games in and he was already doing the mustache thing after a big stop and clapping in people's, faces trying to call time out for the other, team just going over and walking into their huddle and seeing how long he can stay over. There it's like that was just the ANTICS i, loved AND i wish him the best At. Cincinnati but these are one year rentals at, times, Right and if it was the one and done in years, past it's one and done in a different. Way and that's Why i'm so excited to see these guys would be retained In pope system like you mentioned To Colin chandler or A Brandon garrison if otake a always, Days, Maggie, PLEASE i don't think this is hyperbole to say that he could be on the first TEAM sec next.
Speaker 3: Year, OH i think so. Absolutely i'm a little my feelings were hurt a little bit That Lamont butler didn't get any of that recognition this. Year and of course it was because he was injured on and off so much throughout the regular, season specifically in the se, season But Lamt butler deserved to be on one of those. TEAMS i hated that he didn't get, even you, know any sort of defensive. Nods AND i think it's just because he didn't have enough, games just having to miss so many with that shoulder. Injury but coming back for another, Year otaga away would absolutely be in that. Conversation for, Me i'm hoping it's the. CASE i know it's been pretty. Quiet i'm hoping it's the. Case it's do you remember a few years Ago lance where nobody knew If lance was coming, back et. Cetera and it was kind of when we were all starting to freak, out like Is lance coming, back like that'd be a good piece to. Have we could use the. Enforcer and finally he posted something On, instagram just like a picture of his. CAR i was, like why are people asking me What i'm? Doing why WOULD i not be coming? Back where else AM i? Going Obviously i'm coming? Back AND i REMEMBER i interviewed him right after he posted, that maybe a week or so, later and sort of asked him about. It he was, like it was so bizarre to. ME i didn't KNOW i had to make an announcement THAT i wasn't. Leaving but we are in an era now where you do kind of expect, that and so you, Know i'm one of those little. PSYCHOS i have my otaga away notifications turned on AND i hope he posts something. Soon but even if it's just An instagram story of, like, man why are people asking me Where i'm? Going Obviously i'm coming. Back that would be. GREAT i would take.
Speaker 1: That, YEAH i mean people ask me all the, time how do you still work WITH? KSR i mean you are. Terrible SO i do have to update people every now and, Then, maggie but that is just a it's a new, world and Lance, WARE i think is.
Speaker 2: An all conference player now at his new. School so how About, lance he's doing his. Thing how About? Lance how About?
Speaker 1: Lance he'd get a technical draw and that'd be what he was good. For but, hey eight five nine two eight oh two two eight, seven give us a call if you've have any questions for me Or Maggie.
Speaker 2: Davis maggie covers all of THE uk.
Speaker 1: Teams as she, mentioned you, know we'll talk a little bit about some random Nonsense maggie as we get closer to these summer. Shows, yes you, know we've got animals being resurrected from. Extinction we'll talk about some, perspective many things on the way With Maggie.
Speaker 2: Davis thanks for.
Speaker 1: Listening join the. Show we'll be right back here on the ks. Apprecio all, right welcome.
Speaker 2: Back it is A wednesday at the edition of the Cas our pre. Show Billy.
Speaker 1: Retligion Maggie davis joins us FROM Bbn tonight And lex.
Speaker 2: Eighteen she always does a great. Job.
Speaker 1: Maggie i'm gonna put you on the spot, now, okay because there's been a lot of debate about journalism in. Sports oh, okay, Wait i've got two questions for. You we'll start with the. First it's been a little bit of a. Debate would you ever WEAR uk gear on press row while you covered a?
Speaker 3: Game, PERSONALLY i would. Not that's just a personal choice of. MINE i do THINK i kind of fall in a weird spot on this vin diagram BECAUSE i do work for the OFFICIAL uk ex, yes SO i don't think it would be necessarily frowned upon IF i. Did but for, me that's not SOMETHING I i would ever. DO i do wear, BLUE i think at home games on and. OFF i did not for several, years even WHEN i was working FOR ksr as a. STUDENT i was being really kind of weird about. That but you, know at that, POINT i was a journalism student AT uk and they're just preaching like this is what you, do this is what you don't, do and those are sort of the RULES i was learning at that point in my life and my. Career SO i WAS i was pretty type a about at that, point which surprises no one who knows. Me and then now you, Know i'm a little more flexible with it because of my. JOB i, mean, HECK i host a show CALLED Bbn The.
Speaker 2: Height yeah, right it's not.
Speaker 3: Exactly an unbiased, show SO i am, okay wearing blue you know here and there at, games especially home, games BUT i don't Wear kentucky gear at work.
Speaker 1: Typically, Well i've been made fun of, this but this Clastering i've had on over the past couple of, days it's for graduating The school Of Broadcast, Journalism. Maggie so two people that are heavily involved WITH ksr now and in the. PAST i think we're in the same boat. HERE i mean, it it's just something you don't do. Now the other part of this is a female reporter with The university Of. FLORIDA i think she is still a, student but she has made waves online over the last week or so covering The gators in some odd, ways one being maybe a little, inappropriate very close up in interviews in the locker, room and then second when she filmed HERSELF i guess semi celebrating on press row as The gators won The National. Chamchampionship does stuff like that make you cringe or is that just the new way that journalism and covering teams.
Speaker 3: Is, NO i think it's the new. WAY i, mean it's to each their. Own it's not SOMETHING i would, do you. Know i'm a little old SCHOOL i guess in that, way and obviously in my heart of, hearts the Seam i'm covering is the. School it's WHERE i went to. SCHOOL i grew up In, LEXINGTON i went TO, UK i live In lexington. NOW i work for a show CALLED Bbn. TONIGHT i don't think there's any question in terms of Who i'm rooting for on the. Inside but at the end of the, Day i'm doing my, job which is to cover a. Game and so for, me that's something THAT i probably wouldn't do in that. Scenario BUT i do think that journalism is changing so much and there are some pretty blurry lines right now in terms of journal what's journalism and what's content creation and almost influencing to an, extent and a lot of people are blurring those lines more than. Others and AGAIN i think it depends on your. Job like there are absolutely jobs where that would be great and fine and it would be, helpful and your boss would probably say great engagement on social, media right you're making us money on, TikTok that's. Great and there are other jobs that would frown on that and would, say, wow that's really. Unprofessional and SO i think for, me it totally depends on what your job, is who your boss, is and what your audience. Is and for, ME i mean she's a student At. Florida it's it's a very similar situation to an extent of me and my. Job there's no question who the student At florida is rooting for in the national championship. GAME i have no problem with. THAT i think it's a little odd maybe to visibly, cheer BUT i actually think in the video she was really trying.
Speaker 1: Not to and sometimes trying not to cheer while your team wins the. Tournament BUT i kind of see both sides as.
Speaker 3: Well and for the locker, ROOM i will, Say i'm sorry to cut you. Off the need to say this to ask someone who's been in those locker. Rooms it is very tight. Quarters it is uncomfortably. Close i've been in positions WHERE i feel uncomfortable Because i'm so close to, people but there's so many people kind of around, you almost pushing you towards. It and for someone like, her with she has a mic and someone else has a, camera she has to in in a way where she can reach him with the, microphone and the camera has to see, him and she can't be blocking the camera, Right so there's a little geometry involved in this. Too again that's probably not exactly HOW i would, stand but at the end of the, day it does get crowded in, there and those locker rooms are smaller than any LOCKER i don't know how they find these locker rooms for THE ncaa. Tournaments they are significantly smaller than the ones That i've seen At ropperina And Joe. Kraft even in.
Speaker 1: Terms of, well it's the biggest e end of the, year you got to make it the smallest locker.
Speaker 3: Room you have to make it as cramped as. Possible AND i think they almost play games with. Us like THE uk locker rooms and even The illinois locker, room they put these giant tables in the middle so you couldn't just crisscross across the. Room you had to like walk around the perimeter where the players were set. Up and then some players start at the, podium, right and then they get brought in and maybe the three players at the podium have three little lockers all next to each other in the. Corner so we're all standing there waiting to Get, Butler brea And, carr three great, speakers three great people you want to hear from on this. Team they come in eight minutes into this locker room availability and all of a, sudden we are all rushing to that one corner where they all randomly.
Speaker 1: Sit and was It Oscar sheibwey who turned his back to the media for like.
Speaker 3: Ten, RANCE i, THINK i, MEAN i have no problem with. That after the last game of the, year, man emotions are so. HIGH i saw some stuff about The houston locker. Room.
Speaker 2: Obviously oh it's a tough, place.
Speaker 3: Devastating it's. Awful it's, awful but it is something we have to cover. PROFESSIONALLY i mean.
Speaker 1: There's some locker, Rooms Mark pope's breaking. FURNITURE i, mean so it could be a dangerous place to. Be we'll take a break and be back with. More Maggie davis here on the Ksrpre. Show welcome Back Billy rutledge And Maggie davis this morning here on THE ksr Pre show WHERE i was just talking To maggie off air and she would ask players if they have a good side before she puts the camera in their.
Speaker 2: Face that's very nice of, you.
Speaker 3: Man, Well i'm nothing if not consider.
Speaker 2: It see on, radio there is no good. Side that's WHY i love.
Speaker 1: Radio just come in in pajama pants and nobody will know the, difference, right who?
Speaker 3: Knows, YEAH i guess who. Knows but although you did normally take pictures in tweet them, out SO i do try to.
Speaker 2: Dress that's.
Speaker 1: TRUE i do expose my guests with a picture On twitter dot. Com, Also mario is ruining the radio theater of the mind experience as, well because he comes in and posts pictures of my facial hair in my class, rings things like. That, maggie you Got corey price in our guests always do here on the pre. Show but we also got a little bit of some details in fourth grade getting first medal in chemistry at the two thousand and Eight Kentucky American Water Fayette County Public School Science.
Speaker 3: FAIR i can't believe you found this. First of all two funny parts of the story is number. ONE i was fourth, grade a very serious, swimmer, obviously so my experiment was something along the lines OF i don't, know it's a long, story but it involved swimming and. Water SO i always kind of thought maybe the fix was. IN i didn't do it, intentionally but who knew that it was? Sponsored by a water company in. Town SO i felt like they liked.
Speaker 2: IT i did a water, experiment catered to your audience in.
Speaker 3: A smart SO i, mean right, off there you. GO i also won a printer because of. That that's the number one MEMORY i have of, that and it's the PRINTER i used through, college all the way.
Speaker 2: Through oh so you used. It it was a great.
Speaker 3: Printer, no so shout out the what was? It a mirror the The Kentucky American Water Fayette County Public. Schools, yeah there we.
Speaker 2: Go it's a, mouthful the.
Speaker 3: Printer it's a.
Speaker 1: Mouthful But, maggie congratulations on your medal in two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Eight since you're such a science.
Speaker 1: Whiz you're gonna have to explain to me the news about the return of the dire. WOLF i don't know if you've seen. This did you Watch game Of thrones back in the.
Speaker 2: DAY i did.
Speaker 3: Not, UNFORTUNATELY i think that's a boys.
Speaker 1: Show, WELL i think part of the reason why we're seeing this is because of THE tv Show game Of thrones and the rise to prominence of dire. Wolves, again dire wolves haven't existed for over ten thousand, years but, scientists according to The New time cover article claim that the dire wolf is. Back they're the first to exist in ten thousand. Years they've made three of. Them they de extracted and ANIMAL dna from. FOSSILS i guess the dire WOLF dna and combined it with the genes of a gray, wolf the closest cousin of the dire. Wolf and, Now, maggie just Like Jurassic, park we've got dire wolves.
Speaker 3: Again was there a dire need for? This i'm. Confused why are we doing? This were we missing them in the ecosystem because we?
Speaker 1: Can and there was a POPULAR tv show that made people want to see dire.
Speaker 3: Wolves so dire wolves were In game Of. Thrones, YES i MEAN i feel like there's a lot In game Of. Thrones as someone who has not seen the, SHOW i feel like a lot was happening in that. Show we don't need to bring back.
Speaker 2: Dragons one of them probably one that we should not bring. Back if they ever existed?
Speaker 3: Again did you just say if they ever?
Speaker 1: Existed, yes if they ever, Existed, Okay, maggie It's i'm leaving it. Ambiguous you, know some people might think that they existed out.
Speaker 3: THERE i feel like we had like.
Speaker 1: Dinosaurs, well this comes straight out Of Jurassic. PARK i mean it seems like exactly how they've done. It the company that has done, This, biosciences The Colossal biosciences is their name has says that the wooly, mammoth the, dodo and The tasmanian tiger are.
Speaker 3: Next, okay do we need any of? That? WHY i just feel like there's a lot going, on not to not to make it like, This there's a lot going on we could be focused on other than The tasmanian devils of the, World like do we need to assert all of our, focus attention and resources to The tasmanian devils just because you?
Speaker 1: Can shouldn't mean that you, should, Right i'm with, You BUT i would like a little wooly mammoth as a.
Speaker 2: Pet maggie is the? Future like sometimes.
Speaker 3: You know when people breed dogs so much and then they start making like the mini, version like people who have like the little tiny mini gold retrie, version a little mini food. Mixes, yeah, whatever what if you just made a little mini wooly mammoth and then it was like a little rabbit in your, house like a bunny size wooly.
Speaker 2: Mammoth but where do we, Stop? Maggie are we going to bring back every?
Speaker 1: Species should have species that you know went out on their. Own there are some that were hunted, into you, know.
Speaker 3: Extinctions these are big, questions these.
Speaker 2: Are Big your first place in The Science fair, answer.
Speaker 3: The water company did not prepare me for. THIS i, YEAH i don't Think i'm into. THIS i can't explain, it BUT i don't like.
Speaker 2: It it's a slippery. Slope if you ask.
Speaker 3: Me if they could clone, you would they let? You would you let them clone? You?
Speaker 2: NO i don't like.
Speaker 1: Clones but if you want to make a hologram of, me that can you, Know sarah And, ayede you on your birthday one, year or you, know just be a voice to my grandchildren one. DAY i think AFTER i, DIE i think holograms are a huge thing in our society one hundred years from.
Speaker 3: Now so the case our pre show can live.
Speaker 1: On our pre show will live on With shannon And i's holograms and OUR ai just making up random.
Speaker 2: Nonsense, WELL i.
Speaker 3: Hope my hologram still gets to come fill in with you, guys that.
Speaker 1: Would be we'd love for your hologram to come in Because shannon's hologram will still have vacation.
Speaker 2: Days he will still need.
Speaker 3: Time on so many comp days for the hologram.
Speaker 1: EIGHT o two Two. Eightsvan let's go to the phone. Lines joe is on the. Line good, Morning, joe what's?
Speaker 4: Up, Hey i'm doing really. GOOD i hope you're all having a great. Day, Quickly, MAGGIE i know you follow. GYMNASTICS i want to give a shout out to our coach and. STAFF i just think they do a tremendous. JOB i THINK Sec gymnastics might be the most cutthroat of all that lake events in THE. Sec i've never seen how one girl can go from a nine eight and then the next dog will, say, well maybe not that nine, eight but something. Else but it is what it. Is and, then, Secondly, maggie everybody wants to know about the men's transferred. Portal BUT i just am really wondering when you Think Coach brooks is going to go in a transferred. PORTAL i know we need a big AND i know we need a point. Guard what is your feelings on the ladies transferred? Portal thanks a, lot, Goodbye Thank.
Speaker 3: Joe great. Question first of, all let's talk about scoring controversies in college gymnastics right. NOW i love that call BECAUSE i do follow. Gynastics actually called the gymnastics meets FOR sec plus this year For, kentucky SO i called four or five. Meets they were, Amazing and like he, SAID sec gymnastics is the most CUTTHROAT i think out of all of the, sports and the way that THE sec stacks up is. Crazy there are oh, gosh, oh one team got left out of THE Sec championships this year in, gymnastics just like they do in. Baseball so there's nine teams in THE, sec only eight made it TO Sec. Championships that ninth team that got left out Was. Arkansas and then in the national, tournament the format that started after THE sec, competition they made it all the way to the sweet sixteen W they were ranked top fifteen in the country going into THE Sec championships and they didn't get to, compete which is crazy because it's all you average the scoring so much to come up with your scoring options for, nationals And arkansas got left out of that, conversation it's.
Speaker 2: GYMNASTICS i get so fired up about.
Speaker 3: THIS i think that'll change in the coming. Years but, yeah shout out To Kentucky gymnastics because they had an incredible season this year and two of their gymnasts will get to compete for national championships and individual. Titles Kresln brose on the, Floor isabelle And magnelli on the, Beam so good luck to those. Gymnasts in terms of the women's basketball transfer, portal have to be honest With joe and everybody else out, THERE i don't know for. SURE i haven't. Heard i've been Following phoenix with ksr as so many people probably have. Been i'm right there with. THEM i think point guard's most important and another big especially With silva going TO tcu and just needing some more depth there than we. HAD i am. EXCITED i hope that he's able to hang on to those two girls who weren't able to play this past year In parova and.
Speaker 2: Jordan ow once injured before the season even.
Speaker 3: Started, yes BECAUSE i think those two women were penciled in to be major contributors on last year's, team and so for them and last years team obviously struggled a little bit with depth to an extend and bench. Production so to have them come back and see what kind of role they would each play would be really interesting to. Me other than, THAT i think something that's important to remember here it's the women's. Team this year was vastly different from the men's, team even though they get compared a, lot because they did have new coaches and a full new, roster et. Cetera Kenny brooks did not bring in all seniors with one year of eligibility. Left he's not losing seven people off that. Roster Amelia hassett can come, Back clara strat can come. Back, obviously it's impossible to fully Replace George. Aymore it's gonna go top ten in THE Wnba draft Next monday, night and just everything she did for this. Program but at the same, time there's not as much to. Replace SO i think that's why we're not hearing as much about the. Portal it kind of goes back to our earlier. Conversation you're not trying to sign twelve. Players he probably needs three and that'll be. Enough So i'm interested in, it BUT i don't have a lot of intel on.
Speaker 1: It they recently got the guard From Western. Kentucky we talked about that a little bit. Yesterday Tianik he was ON ksr yesterday along with for another.
Speaker 3: Year Of Tianni key because shout out To tianiky personally just her work ethic and how we saw her growth throughout the. Year BUT i also want to give a shout out to the staff in this way because she spent two years At North carolina AND i think she started fewer than ten. Games she averaged like three minutes a, night like she was not a contributor for the Tar heels, really and they saw something in such limited, minutes such limited production that they felt would fit in the, system which is amazing to me because how could you know she barely got to play, there and she barely got to produce there and they had seen something whether it goes back to recruiting or whether they had seen just enough and what she did get With North carolina to make sure that they knew Man sianni could be a great piece here and she can work in this, system and we saw her really grow in the system throughout the. Year so to get her back for another, YEAR i think is a really undervalued part of this.
Speaker 2: Team, well she was a good.
Speaker 1: Interview she was also, confident saying she wants a, ring whether it BE sec or national, title that's her goals and aspirations for this next. Year we mentioned. Gymnastics they finished, THIRD i believe in the regional final that just took.
Speaker 3: Place, yes it's crushing because four teams compete in the final too, advance and it's the second year in a Row kentucky finished.
Speaker 2: Third really second year in a, row just out of the.
Speaker 3: Money it kills. Me, oh but gymnastics is interesting in the way that if the whole team doesn't, advance certain individuals can still. Advance so that's How Cresln brose And Isabella magnelly still get to go on to nationals as.
Speaker 1: Individuals and tell me if this is true as somebody that interviews all of the schools on, campus is that maybe those secondary sports are very grateful when they do get the coverage and so they can be very open and you, know maybe it's an easier interview than maybe at times trying to pull teeth that other.
Speaker 3: Places, YEAH i wouldn't necessarily say, that BUT i do think there's definitely a level of excitement of oh, wow this is ON. Tv you, know it's a little, different AND i think that's what makes our show so fun because very rarely not just In, kentucky but across the entire, country is there A tv station that gets to talk about sports for thirty minutes a, night six days a week and it just doesn't. Happen you think about the typical local news, format you get about three, minutes and the six o'clock, news you get about three, minutes and the eleven o'clock, News and when that's all the time you, have it makes sense you focus your energy on certain sports and certain athletes and certain, narratives and you can kind of pigeonhole yourself in that. Way for, us we have so much more free rein because we have so much more time to work, with which allows us to give more time to sports like. GYMNASTICS i did a five and a half minute interview yesterday with two women on the softball team who are having fantastic years For Rachel lawson. Squad SO i think that's awesome and well, deserved BECAUSE i, mean the two GIRLS i talked to a softball yesterday are having great seasons AND i don't know that they've had the chance to be on anywhere else because, they to no fault of their, own only have three. Minutes we have. Thirty it's so much. Fun so that's WHY i LOVE bba.
Speaker 2: Tonight, well you guys do a great.
Speaker 1: Job makes me think of back of my high school days where the locals, paper the Oldam, era once published my picture and my name and it was, Like, Mom i'm in the.
Speaker 2: NEWSPAPER i, mean that's. Unbelievable, corey get on.
Speaker 3: This billy was a race.
Speaker 1: Paper, now if you're A kentucky basketball, player it's, like, look this is the.
Speaker 2: Spotlight kentucky's not for.
Speaker 1: Everyone it comes with this added pressure of the entire commonwealth being behind you and national attention FROM espns and The Tom creans of the, world so they Expected i'm. Sure so an interesting dynamic when it comes to who you interview on a nightly basis, well and it's interesting to.
Speaker 3: It it reminds me of when we were covering THE ncaa, tournament. Right we get so used to The kentucky media and you have so many of us on your, show WHICH i know everyone is very grateful. For but there's probably fifty people who travel With kentucky basketball when they're on the, road especially in the.
Speaker 2: Tournament at fifty it FELT i mean.
Speaker 3: In that tiny locker, room like we, said it felt like FIFTY i don't that's just a rough, guess but it feels like that many, truly because EVERY tv station sends three or, four every, blog, website, podcast you, know there's student. Reporters there's so many people who go and we roll up into The troy locker room after their practice before that first, game and man, like the looks on their faces were just, like you guys all cover one, team WHICH i think we lose sight of a little bit because we work in a fan base and with a program that does get so much, attention and we can give so much coverage because the fan base wants that. Much you can't post a report too much On kentucky basketball because people care about everything that, happens which is, great it's a. Blessing but you really intimidate Some troy players when you roll in fifty deep into their little locker, room AND i think they were a little.
Speaker 1: Overwhelmed so that's a funny mental image of The troy players going, whoa.
Speaker 3: Whoa, right, absolutely and it made me THINK i was a little less nervous for The troy game than The oakland game because that The oakland locker room was the same situation and they loved. It they thought it was. Hilarious they couldn't wait to talk to all of. Us so there was a little difference in. ATTITUDE i would say that.
Speaker 1: Hurts, sorry bad memories this. Morning but this has been great so. Far but we need to take a. Break we've got one segment to. Go we'll take a couple more calls in our final segment eight five nine two eight h two two eight, seven and then we'll hand it off To Drew franklin And Drew Palooza day three at The, Bar so looking forward to.
Speaker 2: That we'll be right back here on the. Show before the, show the Ksrpre.
Speaker 3: Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Back it's THE ksr Pre Show billy And maggie this. Morning big thanks To Rick ryder back in the studio getting us in and out of the. Breaks always does a great. Job maggie's mom listening and. Retweeting, Yes Corey price's photo of shout out for fourth Grade, Maggie so shout out To maggi's. Mom you can Also texas five h two two six five six six five, six where one person asks Asked maggie her favorite player from this year's men's basketball to watch or to.
Speaker 3: Interview that's up to. You, OKAY a couple. Things, ALSO i can't answer a question directly, CLEARLY i would Say Lamont butler was my. Favorites actually watched That lovell GAME i think will probably be one of my favorite memories from the. Season, obviously there were so many big, wins all those quad one wins we've talked, about and and That oklahoma. Game, obviously THE sec tournament was, awesome So tega is great for, that and we saw so many great. Moments, Heck Maury williams had a triple. Double but for, ME i loved the Way lamont. PLAYED i love the way he shared the. BALL i love the way he was just really like the driving force behind this offense and obviously. Defense so for, Me i'll definitely miss him being point guard At. KENTUCKY i wish we had him for. Longer we talked about this at THE ncaa tournament AND i was, like, MAN i would just wish we got him as long As tennessee Got Zekai, Ziegler like, no so. Great, Yeah So i'll miss him and probably the most in terms of players to, Watch Kobe braya probably a close second because how much fun was In. Fuego but one of my favorites to INTERVIEW i don't think he gets talked about enough Was Ansley. ALMANOR i had the best conversations with. Him we talked so much about laying the foundation and playing for the name on the. Front nobody and body that more Than. Ansley and you, KNOW i mentioned my stories earlier with fans who had been impacted by each senior and the man that we interviewed who had been touched By amari or excuse me By ansley goes to a church here in, Town christ The. King and had never talked To, ansley but had seen him at, mass like a handful of, times like the morning after big, games he'd be like late, games travel, Games he'd always be. There i'd never wanted to approach. HIM i didn't want to bother, him you, KNOW i didn't want to take him out of His sunday morning. Routine BUT i just really respected that he was. There AND i always pointed him out to my, grandkids, like, look he made. Time he chose to be. Here he didn't just get put in his parents' car and driven to, church right, like he chose to come and do. This and so we did sort of that story with Without ansley, knowing and then had the chance to share that with him toward the end of the, season and he just kind of got emotional about how much that meant to him that people even paid attention to him in that. Way he'd never been in a position like that, before up on a pedestal like, that even without knowing. It obviously he thinks about himself in terms of the basketball context here and what he's meant to fans in that. Way BUT i think for these guys to realize the impact they have off the, court even in something simple like going to church once a, week it was really cool to See ansley sort of realized that in real, time and he was. Awesome he was, LIKE i want to meet this. Guy can you connect me with this? GUY i want to introduce myself to his granddaughters and all this, stuff and he was just truly a joy to be. Around so he's one of those. GUYS i don't know what's next for him with his college basketball career behind, him BUT i obviously wish him the. BEST i hope he's one of those guys who comes back To, lexington because he seemed to really love.
Speaker 1: It, yeah he was so grateful just to be. Involved and that's awesome to. HEAR i missed that. Story i'm going to have to go back and find. It and the Lamant butler the music video didn't hurt, either, RIGHT i, PUMP i SHALL i?
Speaker 3: Pump and the Rapt Big wood. Madness, right that's.
Speaker 1: Right oh yeah he was rapping as. Well john is on the phone. Line, john you gotta be. Quick we've just got a. Couple it's what's? Up Oh, john are you? THERE i think he left them, Speechless maggie with your, Sorry, no it's. Okay thanks for calling in, Anyway, JOHN i will ask you BEFORE i let you.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 1: Maggie we like to have a little. Fun we do these random. Topics there's something in the NEWS i want to get your opinion. On we LOVE kfc around, here, RIGHT i mean it's Got kentucky in the. Name, yeah big part of. It even though they're moving their headquarters to a new state. Soon BUT kfc revealed they've Created Kentucky fried flavored.
Speaker 2: Toothpaste.
Speaker 1: Oh originally an internet, meme they liked it so much they made it a real, product and so for thirteen dollars you can have one case of the Eleven Herb blend toothpaste FROM.
Speaker 3: Kfc what does it say about me That i'm most taken aback by the price thirteen dollars for a tube of?
Speaker 1: Toothpaste inflation, Inflation, maggie everything's more.
Speaker 3: Expensive go to the, dentist get a free. Tube you'll be.
Speaker 1: Fine it's florid free, though so if you're looking for a you, know maybe you don't want the floor ride in your.
Speaker 2: Toothpaste it's not even about.
Speaker 3: THAT i don't want it to taste like fried. CHICKEN i brush my teeth AFTER i eat fried chicken like it's, great and then it's then it's. Done let's move.
Speaker 2: ON i also got to have the mashed potatoes And. Fixin's that's the.
Speaker 3: Mouthwash it is sold. Separately that's actually fifteen.
Speaker 1: Dollars stop, it stop. It mashed potato. Mouthwashed, okay see that would be the. Day but you never, know you never. Know they o us, money you, think.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was our. Idea you heard it here first, People.
Speaker 1: Maggie big thank you for coming on. Again thank you so much for having. ME i always have a great time with. You you do a great job WITH bbn, tonight and now what's next for? You what DOES Bbn tonight have on on deck for tonight or really the next.
Speaker 2: Week you'll just.
Speaker 3: Have to watch and find Out weeknight seven thirty L ex. Eighteen but we're syndicated all over the. State you can catch us In louisville And Bowling, Green Eastern, Kentucky Northern. Kentucky we're all over the. Place check us out or look on bbntnight dot. Com but this time of the, year obviously, baseball, softball transfer portal.
Speaker 1: Stuff we didn't talk about the heartbreak of the baseball team last.
Speaker 2: Nights you'll have to tune in. Tonight straight one, loss one run. Losses we're supposed to go out on a high. Note all, right that's it for us For maggie Un billy and drew his next ON. Kosr