Speaker 1: Jo J Kattan SiZ is here this morning, one of two point seven Kiss FM. Yeah, Ryan's Roses is the next thing we're gonna do after a Ton Rosenbloom of Valley Village. This is if you're from southern California, Los Angeles, this area something interesting. You probably know there's a lot of rich history here in Los Angeles. But I don't know that people think of La quite like that. Aton Rosenblue mom with this now. I saw him on TikTok. The guy born and raised here. He's living out the denas Silver Lake. He's to Hollywood all over the place, and he's on a mission Sisanitania. He's on a mission of visit every single La landmark on the National Register of Historic Places. Aton, how many of them are there?
Speaker 2: There is just about six hundred of them right now, and it's growing every few weeks.
Speaker 1: Yep, Okay, people don't Some people that aren't around here or from here may not give LA the kind of credit for history right now.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. You know. Someone just commented on one of my posts this morning. Actually it was a quote from La La land that says they worship everything and value nothing. I think a lot of people have that attitude about la history, that we don't have a history or that we don't protect it, but it's just not true. You know, we're a young city comparatively, and it's true that we've lost a lot as always developed. But look, no matter what you care about, entertainment, social justice, architecture, whatever, there's historic sites here that you can visit to learn about this stuff.
Speaker 1: We're going to hone in on like three Mussies three that you can recommend to people listening. But first, how is it that you can go do all of this as your primary focus? Always confused, I'm always wondering.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll tell you, I have a day job, I have a wife and kid. It is tough, but I don't sleep. I spend all of my nights and weekends just visiting and researching and connecting with people and places just for hobby. Yeah, it's just for a hobby. I make nothing out of this. It's it just, you know, pure masochism. I guess you could say it, but look, I mean, it's fascinating what you can learn through the historic places that you pass by every day. So I feel like I'm getting so much out of it.
Speaker 1: All right, one hundred and seventy. He's been to six hundred total. Give us three at the top of the list that we could jot down to try and check out.
Speaker 2: Sure. So, I mean, something I understand about the National Register first is that it's not really intended as a tourism guide. A lot of the most significant buildings in LA are privately owned, So I spend a lot of time just taking videos outside the gate of some beautiful house. But I wanted to talk about three of them that you know, Kiss listeners actually can go inside. So first up is the Lumbus House in the Highland Park area, and you pass right by it if you're going south on the one tent. It is a wild looking house made of river rocks and concrete and wood and telephone poles. Actually they're built right into the sea, and it was handbuilt in the early nineteen hundreds by this guy named Charles Lummis along with a bunch of indigenous kids from New Mexico. And Lummis was one of the all time most interesting Angelina's I think he walked from Cincinnati to LA on foot to take a job as an editor at the La Times. He championed Native American rights, early advocate for preserving historic buildings. He founded the Southwest Museum, and he threw epic ragers at his house. He actually he built the inside walls and floors at a concrete just so he could hose them down after parties.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's a really important, unique guy, and I think the house reflects his uniqueness.
Speaker 1: What a great backstrough. Right, what's the second LA landmark we should check out?
Speaker 2: Sure? So number two is the mission Son Gabriel Arcan Hell. LA landmarks just don't get any more important than this mission. So he was established in seventeen seventy one, ten years before La existed. In fact, it's said that the forty four founding citizens of Los Angeles set out from this mission on the day that they founded the Pueblo of La So you know, it's a rare connection to this time when this land was occupied by the Spanish. They even have a grapevine there that was planted in the seventeen seventies and continues to bear fruit today. I've heard that there are people trying to make wine from that right now.
Speaker 1: Seventy one I mean amazing, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know, I think it has had a long time to age like a fine wine.
Speaker 1: So one more LA landmark here. This is Aighton Rosenblom who's been to one hundred and seventy incredible history in LA. What's one more real quick?
Speaker 2: So number three is a fun one. Is the Vasquez Rocks. Have you guys ever been there?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Now, so not everything on the National Register is man made. Vasquez Rocks are these crazy rock formations that jut out of the ground at forty five degree ankles and it looks like Mars, which kind of explains why so many sci fi movies in Westerns have been shot there, like most famously, there's an episode of the original Star Trek series where William Shatner is battling the Gorn. And I mean, since since this is Kiss, BTS, Rihanna, One Direction, Radiohead, they've all shot music videos. Wow, so you have definitely seen these rocks in the background. And I put together a YouTube playlist on my website of all the videos shot there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wonder if those rocks ever knew they were going to see BTS. I mean that's the thing. Yeah, you think about that history and BTS just seals it from me. Ay Don Rosenbloom. You can check them out et An does La on TikTok and Instagram. Thanks brother for coming on. You really helped us understand it very nicely. Thanks for doing this.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me Ryan see it.
Speaker 1: Bye bye. You know when you're talking to somebody and you realize that you are so not nearly as smart as they are. I had that feeling. Oh interesting, it's very interesting. But you know when you're the dumbest person in the room, Well, at least I felt that you don't feel that way. Okay, No, Michael and I got married at a landmark here in La historic building in downtown for that reason. Top three. Well I did not make a top three, but we did it for that reason so that it can never be torn down. Oh look at you and Rihanna?
Speaker 2: Is that as smart?
Speaker 1: All? Right? Now? It's Sharon. He's going to be the landmark performing Sofi Stadium got tickets for that. Next and Ryan's roses. It's time