Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fago. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. One of the memes we were talking about before we started to roll today was the old don't tase me bro meme. A lot of people when they hear the question about whether or not you've ever endured the pain of being tased, hearing that question and may conjure images of Jackass style pranks. But tragically, for many, many more people, this conversation will immediately bring to mind over one thousand deaths at the hands of taser wielding law enforcement officers.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it also kind of remind you that there were two potential presidential elect candidates that were in skull and bones, and somebody wanted to know about it and ended up getting taste. Sorry, don't mean to derail. That's what reminds me.
Speaker 3: Of sure, or the larger deeper conversation about non lethal versus less than lethal, or the larger deeper conversation about corruption in law enforcement. Alternatives to firearms. Look, tasers are sold everywhere and affordable to the public. We'll get to a lot of deep water here, but before we before we really dive in, We've got to tell you, folks, we recently listened to Lava for Good's new hit podcast Absolute Season one. Taser Incorporated explores much much more than the headlines regarding the story of tasers, especially the story of tasers as told by the companies that manufacture tasers, and we are always looking for primary sources. Today, we are thrilled to be joined with the creator of the show, the one and only Nick Bredini. Nick, thank you so much for sharing some time with us today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, guys, I'm a huge fan. It's great to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we've collectively spent a lot of time with your podcast, with other work you've done and writing you've done, and we are filled with questions for you, and it's tough to know really where to start, but I think maybe a good place would be, well, we want to know about you too, but I think I think this question will get to who you are too. Please tell us who was Stanley Harlan, what happened to him, and what about his story inspired you, as a student at the University of Missouri to create a documentary about him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really take us back in time here, because this is your origin story. This is the part of what launched you into a decade plus investigation. So if you could set the scene, You're a journalism student at University of Missouri and you receive an assignment right just given to you, and all they tell you at first is a man has died while in the custody of law enforcement.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, I mean one of the unique things about going to school at the University of Missouri, where I also sort of happened to play basketball as sort of like my fun fact about me is that I was the worst player on a high major Division one basketball team where I got dunked on and practice a bunch of times. But it was nice to be cool for a few years there. You still get the all the part works that come with the starters, you know, in terms of popularity. So that was fun. But I had spent most all my life thinking about wanting to work in basketball or sports to some degree, and had kind of this plan where I was going to go, you know, off to law school and be an agent, or I was going to work for some NBA team. I really grew up in sports, and when I went to Missouri, the best degree you could get was a journalism degree. And naturally, everybody who goes to the broadcast school then the television news school is interested in sports, right They all want to be the next analyst for ESPN, et cetera, et cetera. And one of the unique things that happened to me and why the journalism school at Missouri is so great, is that you actually have to work as a reporter for real local affiliates. If you're in the magazine school, you have to work for a real magazine. If you're in the newspaper, we have a you know, Columbia, Missouri has its own you know, city newspaper that's staffed by student reporters and their editors are prof Basically that's true of the NBC affiliate as well. The local NBC affiliate is staffed by professors who are the you know, news directors and news managers, but the reporters are students, and I, because I was playing basketball, had to basically push off a lot of my advanced level classes that conflicted, you know, with my schedule until I was done playing basketball. So I got this like fifth year student experience where I was hanging out basically doing nothing but partying and going to the news room basically. And you've dunked a few times. I do, but in my best days, with enough of a running start, I could definitely dunk just a little bit, just enough in warm ups to show off a little lot of things. Yeah. But so I just was working one of these overnight shifts where you work the morning newscast basically, and you're staffed to say, okay, you're the general assignment reporter, you may go cover you know, one one one freezing ass morning. I was standing outside assault depot because there of fear that there would be assault shortage, you know, as the winter was coming, right, you just do kind of whatever the producers decide this show is going to need for that newscast, and breaking news is a huge part of that of course. Right. So I'm standing there in the newsroom not sure what my assignment's going to be sometime around you know, close to midnight, I want to say it was. And then the police scanner right goes off with reports about an incident at a town just sort of outside of Columbia, about thirty miles north, just a smaller town called Moberly, about this young man who's been taken to a hospital, right because there's been an incident where he suffered some sort of cardiac episode after being tasered by cops. And then not long after that scanner, we get a phone call from Stanley Harlan's mom, directed to the newsroom, and she's screaming and crying, the police killed my son. The police killed my son. And she's, as you can imagine any parents, just absolutely, you know, completely losing her in a way that I'll never forget the rawness of that, you know that she was just screaming about how the cops killed her son. And so as the reporter, what you do, You hop in the car and you you know, you race out there, You go right out there. So I drove, you know, thirty miles eash north in the middle of the night out to this town and arrived on the scene and was being roped off, and you know, investigators, State State police were on the scene because they were there to investigate. And the thing that just struck me right away was the family wasn't there. They had obviously gone to the hospital at that point to identify the body, do the things that come with you know, and in custody death. But I was talking to neighbors who watched this scene play out right in front of Stanley's house. He had been followed by police home. They basically were they were. The police were trying to say it was a duy stop that was later sort of contested. But he is gotten out of his car and Stanley, the tragedy of it is, is on the phone with his mom as he's getting pulled out of the car because he wants her to come outside to make sure nothing bad happens to him right in front of his house. And so the officer that taser Stanley doesn't realize the officer who pulled him over has allowed him to do this, comes tries to take the phone out of his hand. Stanley pulls away right because he thinks he's allowed to be on the phone calling his mom, and very very quickly after that, he puts his hands in the air and says, you know, one of the officers, one of the sergeants or the commanding officers on the scene, says, just haser and he puts his hands in the air and says, taser me. Why you're gonna taser me? And they shot him in the chest with a taser for thirty seconds, and he died right in front of his mom. And one of the haunting sort of images of the film I made is you could see his mother come across the dash cam screen. It's sort of in her pink robe as the incident happens a bit off screen. But that phone call and then talking to those neighbors, I think it was seven of them who said they did not there was no violence here. He put his hands in the air and said, why are you going to taser me? And then they shot him, and then you know, within minutes he was dead. And that became for me as someone who was already leaning toward a life outside of television news. I think I had kind of I had been involved in acting as a kid. I had a real fascination with long form. I wanted to be a writer. I wanted to be a lot of things. I did not want to be a local TV news reporter. And so as that story progressed throughout that fifth year of school that I had, I was thinking about doing a big investigation into what really happened to Stanley Harlan, and that investigation we ended up doing several you know pieces for the TV station over the course of the next you know year that I would still in school. And then my mentor basically said, you want to get into film, you want to do this sort of thing. I think you have a documentary you know right here, and that basically advice, that terrible advice, sent me on the path to making a you know film that took about four years to make that transformed from being a story about a small town that was grappling with police violence because there had been a history sort of with that department of them going too far until then they had finally now killed somebody. That spiraled into the film that I ended up making, which was this film about the one company that made tasers at the time. You know, they're so much bigger than this now, but at the time, this was the story of this company, the only company who really made tasers for police, Axon.
Speaker 3: Well, now, axon, Yeah, the critically acclaimed documentary Killing Them Safely, and folks, this is not a plug nick to embarrass you, to put you on the spy here, but this is this is a pretty brutal and unrelenting piece of journalism and documentary work. This also informs so many questions because again, what we see is from that initial call, like you said, in the middle of the night and the horrific things happening to Stanley Harlan and his family. You keep finding more and more disturbing stuff as you're digging in. So maybe for this, now that we have the origin story, maybe for people who are unfamiliar in the audience tonight, could you explain what a taser is, how a taser works, how did they become so common?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So why this became a film about this company was because I had heard of a taser. I had seen the Hangover. I had watched you know, Galfanakis gets shoot in the face and laughed like everybody else because it's genuinely incredibly funny. It's a moment in a movie, right, But the familiarity with it. What struck me was the taser is basically shaped like a gun. It looks very similar to what you would expect from a handgun. It fires two probes, at least this model of the taser. They're a bit more advanced now, but this model of the taser became that made the company so successful. Basically fire two probes kind of looked a little bit like fish hooks attached to copper wires. And the idea is that it delivers electric current inside of your body that is at a threshold that is essentially affecting the nervous system, so you are unable to control your muscles. That's what I call it, muscular incopacitation, neuromuscular incapacitation. But the current is safe enough to not affect your heart or electric you to you right, People say that a lot. That's not what happens when people die. The current is not strong enough to electric cue someone. And the thing that struck me though, was I had heard of a taser and understood just the basics of how they worked. But why I became so interested in the company was this, adamans this no gray area, black and white. These weapons cannot kill, not in a circumstance other than you shoot somebody off of a ledge and they fall and they die. Sure they can. Everybody knows you could fall off a high ledge and be killed. But the electric current itself, in no way, ever, under any circumstance, no doubt about it, is not capable electrically, scientifically, not capable of killing someone.
Speaker 5: I think, even to like, you know, someone that's uninitiated in these kind of things, that just seems like a really absurd claim, exactly me. And there's so many variations and intervening circumstances and health conditions. I mean, it just seems on its surface to be way outlandish to be able to unequivocally say this with out any question.
Speaker 4: Yes. And what drove me to the company was this conflict of They were also the ones who wrote these training programs and conducted this training for police officers. So you have the one company with a monopoly on the weapon telling tens of thousands, at that point, hundreds of thousands of police officers across the country. These weapons, under no circumstances other than lighting someone on fire accidentally because they spark someone covered in gasoline, or some shooting someone off of a ledge and they fall down. These weapons do not kill in any circumstance.
Speaker 3: That Nick, what's that one quote that the CEO Rick says at multiple points they say, if the taser is harmful, it's really the person using correct taser.
Speaker 4: It was. It was essentially the quote you're thinking of. Is a really important moment in the company's history. In early two thousand and four, CBS News did a kind of big investigation into tasers and into the companies. The first deaths really started to pile up, and basically, you know, White Andrews, the reporter is saying to Rick Smith, you're saying, this is a coincidence that these people would have died anyway, and he says, in every single case, these people would have died anyway. And the implication being right, some other drugs what became very controversial. I'm sure we'll talk about excited delirium, some other condition. At the exact moment of this tasering, right was responsible for somebody else's death. And even as a twenty three year old with not a lot of like worldly knowledge yet like making my way in the world as a reporter, just felt like, okay, the company with a monopoly on the weapon, doing all of the training and telling these cops that it can never kill doesn't seem like a promise or a claim that is going to be able to hold up under scrutiny. And I went to the company kind of half expecting there was some misunderstanding that like, Okay, I get, maybe these are like really safe and actually this isn't supposed to have but maybe Stanley Harlan is like one of these rare freak occurrences where like you can't shoot someone in the chest with electricity for thirty seconds and not expects there's a chance they could die. And that's not how my one day that was supposed to be multiple days, but the one day that I spent at the company that I've ever been allowed to be inside, that one day I was allowed to be inside really changed everything because we couldn't get it, felt like we couldn't come to some sort of common understanding of just like the sky is blue right right, like.
Speaker 3: A lot of the conversations feel the way we learn about them in absolute and the way that we learn about them and killing them safely. You're doing your due diligence as a reporter, and you're asking your refrain to question. Sometimes you're saying like okay, again, could I get a direct answer and the person you're speaking with I believe Tuttle Yes? At that Why, Yes, Steve Tuttle is doing kind of a matrix dodge or some parkour for every direct question you're asking, and at times contradicting his previous statements.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The thing you learn about corporate spin and why this is a film really about the way in which the film is about a lot of corporate rhetoric is because companies are really good, I think, especially in controversial industries at the sound bite. They know how to package their messaging and their rhetoric into very concise talking points. But if you just kind of unravel a story and you ask to hear the story, which documentary film allows you to do, right, I like writing magazine journalism and doing profile journalism. Now I love this pot test we made, right. These are long form stories and you ask someone to tell you their story, and if you sit there long enough to hear a story, you can't put that messaging you know, so tightly into these neat talking points because as you follow up, you're digging your own rabbit hole that you can't escape from. Right, Because the narrative you've created the mythology you've created doesn't actually match with the reality that's right in front of your face, which is sort of where the absurdity of the film in particular, right that it's a lot of it structured around this messaging it comes into play because it just becomes so bizarre because we know what's real, and yet we're being handheld and walked through this like, you know, incredibly elliptical and bizarre, sort of like you know, dreamscape of the story of just like who are you and how did you get here?
Speaker 5: Hey, let's take a quick pause right here here a work more sponsor, and then come back with more from Nick and we're back. Let's jump right back into this conversation.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the way Taser was born, because at least of the way you discuss it in the podcast and the way I've seen you write about it, it seems to have been born from a pretty noble goal, and then when that goal is is it has to be changed and altered a little bit because of commerce, because of the needs of you know, building a company and paying off loans and all these things that just the capitalist system kind of does to everything and every idea that comes around to it, it has to change, and then there has to be a belief in it, Like we're talking about almost a supreme belief in the reality.
Speaker 5: Of it, a philosophical kind of shift a little bit, right, because I mean, initially, wasn't it meant to be a non lethal form of self defense, you know, to cut down on gun violence? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little bit about how how it became a thing? Like, really, why Taser International became a thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's a great question. One of the things that I really emphasized about Rick Smith. He's the He and his brother co foundered the company, but Rick is the visionary. Tom his older brother kind of just like you know, came along for the ride because it was a family business. They used their dad's seed money. They used their dad's money from a from a startup that he'd invested in that did ended up doing quite well to fund the original idea, which was we are going to make a star Trek phaser. Because to high school acquaintances, there's a lot of controversy because Rick had previously called them his friends and then he fact checked it and it's like they you know, maybe known each other a little bit, you know, they were the guys. These guys he calls his friends, end up being much older than he was, and so they never really went to high school together. But the story goes that Rick is basically in business school and he has already graduated from Harvard. He's an incredibly smart, accomplished young person from kind of a one percenter suburb, right, who can be anything he wants to be. Really, he's got that kind of he's like made in a lab to be either like a politician or like a successful businessman or you know, whatever. He wants, whatever his heart desires, and he wants to be like his dad. He wants to be entrepreneurial, he wants something of his own. And so he's in business school when these two acquaintances are killed in a road rage shooting. And it's that shooting that Rick always cites as the sort of catalyst for him understanding gun violence and thinking about how many people are actually killed by guns. And this is back in nineteen ninety one, So this is, you know, thirty forty years ago now where the idea of of having a weapon to defend yourself, right that isn't a gun is like kind of this violent crime era of America where people are like seriously considering, can we do better than guns? Now, what I always say is that, like, it's an incredibly naive concept because a lot of people buy guns because they like guns. It's not just to defend themselves, right, American gun culture is bigger than just I need a revolver to protect myself from a road rage shooting.
Speaker 5: It's like phasing out car culture, you know, yeah, right right, something that people are enthusiasts about, right, collectors, et cetera.
Speaker 3: It's tied to identity for many people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But he has this twenty three year old, you know, like moment of inspiration where he thinks, I'm going to take my dad's money. I love star Trek, I want to basically make He does some research and he finds there was this guy named Jack Kover who would a originally invented the taser, which.
Speaker 1: Was shout out to Taser Tron.
Speaker 4: To shout out to Taser Tron, a kind of failed company that had tried previously to bring tasers to market as a self defense weapon. Is kind of a big bulky weapon shaped like a flashlight. The key sort of red tape. There is that it used gunpowder to fire those probes, and so it was regulated like a firearm, and a lot of people, basically a lot of average citizens needed to go through a similar process to buying a firearm if they wanted one. They were just too expensive and too clunky and too sort of ahead of its time to compete seriously in a self defense market. But Rick has an idea to work with Kover to license that technology from him to create a taser that uses compressed nitrogen to fire, thinking they'll avoid all the sort of ATF regulation that comes if they do that, and they're just like, the two guys, it's like this great story about they're in Rick's you know, parents camper, and they're like they're tweaking this thing in this just like, you know, great entrepreneurial origin story. We're gonna change the world in this you know, desert camper that we're in together, and it's just an absolute disaster, right Like, Rick tells this great story that's in our podcast. Not to spoil it, but it's one of my favorites where they hire out a call center and they do a promo on the local news and Phoenix back in nineteen ninety four, when they're going to launch the company, and they are basically expecting a flood of calls to come in ordering this taser when people see it demonstrate it live on TV, and like nobody calls. The only call, he says, he gets is from his mom the entire night, and she's like, how's it going, Ricky?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: And this is just like this incredibly human moment of a young entrepreneur with this grandiose idea where at the very first meeting, the very first board meeting of his company with his parents and his brother, says, we're gonna make the bullet obsolete, right, that's the real ambition, and like they are right from the start. Pardon my French, but like it's that bad. And so they spend years trying to figure out how to save this idea, and that ultimately leads to police because the idea of a taser is a natural fit in policing, and they the real key moment in the company's history is realizing the original taser that Jackober had developed and then Rick Smith tried to perfect just wasn't strong enough for police to take seriously. And Rick makes a fateful choice between sort of the company going under or building a taser that is strong enough to basically take law enforcement by storm, and he chooses the stronger taser. They engineer this weapon, and that's about you know, that's roughly nineteen ninety nine, and they just within five years the company had gone from near bankruptcy to being worth about one point nine billion dollars.
Speaker 3: And I would say at this point, as well, I love the way we're exploring the SNICK. I would say one thing that stands out to me here is that Rick Smith. Yes, ambitious, yes, quite intelligent, and as we'll find, quite litigious. But Rick Smith is above all a storyteller as well. And he is you know, anybody familiar with a C suite or upper management, A lot of it is kind of storytelling, no offense.
Speaker 5: Smith making, creating the more of something.
Speaker 3: The storytelling here seems to be a shift not just in goal, but a shift in narrative. Right, what is the story I tell to law enforcement? Let me find a story that will be championed by police and elios alike.
Speaker 5: Well, I was going to say too, I mean, before that that kind of crossover moment that you're getting to, all the ad campaigns around these devices were like for taking hiking, you know, like this sport model with like a with with a included fanny pack, you know exactly. This is all on their website on the accident, there's a timeline there and it shows a lot of ads and it's kind of comical.
Speaker 4: They thought that their mom was going to be one of their best marketers because they imagined like tupperware parties of like women telling stories about each other.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Because this, this is ultimately why I think techno optimism can be really dangerous, is because you have a really bright person who's capable of a lot. Like I said, he could have been anything he wanted, but he doesn't have any of the context of violent crime when he jumps into this business. In his world, these two guys from the rich suburb that he's from are gunned down, and God, that should not happen in our gated community, essentially, right, And I'm sure I have not looked at this specifically because I didn't want to make that much of a point of it, But there was probably a shooting in North Phoenix the same weekend that happens all the time to some disenfranchised community in some place that he has no right connection to and in his thinking is he's literally said, I was going to go to Arizona and scratch and claw and dig, and I thought there would be gold in those hills. And he's talked about the riches that should bestow a benevolence creator of a device like the taser. Right, this is a money making operation, is a business opportunity, but you're talking about public safety. You're talking about violence that impacts communities and ways he had no understanding of. And so of course they failed early on because trying to just say, well, the reason we haven't solved gun violence is because governments are too corrupt and politicians are too stupid, and nobody has really thought about this in my genius Harvard way. Yet we'll just give everybody Captain Kirk's phaser and then nobody will shoot each other anymore. It's like it's a little more complicated than that, my man. You know, you can't just write, like just decide one day to solve gun violence.
Speaker 3: Especially the police that are going to end up being your largest customers and the politicians that are that are going to end up being your some of your largest benefactors. If you're telling that story, you're kind of dunking on those guys.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, Yeah, it was one hundred percent. It was the idea that technology. The theme of this story of fifteen years of covering it is that we have such an instinct to treat the entrepreneur, to treat the business person, to treat technology as the hero, right, the idea for as much as we love science fiction as a culture and as many you know, I robots and AI movies as we can come up with, we don't don't take seriously enough the repercussions that can come when you just basically do the Silicon Valley thing of move fast and break things like they moved fast and broke things modeled after Silicon Valley innovation, and that they broke cannot be repaired.
Speaker 5: You're talking about the stuff, you know, as they it's rolled out with such a kind of lack of foresight that it's staggering. And this is a similar situation, if not the exact same. You're totally right.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about that business pivot from a self defense mechanism to a police weapon, something that can be on the side of you know, in the in the vision there at Taser international of every police officer that walks the planet, that shift, and then the need to make it more powerful to take down you know, larger guys in order to just impress you know, officers like law enforcement officers who can then watch a demonstration and then say, oh wow, yeah, that would take down on somebody. For sure, it took down our biggest guy, that shift. And then the need to sell to more and more and more and more police departments because you're selling these individually, you know, as packages to police departments. The need to do that to make it more powerful. It feels like that is where maybe the actual problem arises because of the strength of the actual current that's going through there. But then also the concept that this is to be used to take down someone that a police officer is pursuing, right, someone that a suspect that an officer believes needs to be taken down. That an officer would have used perhaps a side arm like a forty five or a nine millimeter to incapacitate that person. Now I can shock them. How in your exploration, how has the usage of a taser by police officers change or did it change or was it always the same, or just how are they used in the field.
Speaker 4: This is the most genius thing that they did this case. They took the marketing and rhetoric of the original idea of an alternative to guns, and that is the public facing city council pitch idea, Right, hey, this is going to reduce police shootings because what we have is an electric weapon that can stop somebody. They didn't say it was effective as a gun, it's not like they said that, but the idea would be, you can prevent shootings now because we can control violent and dangerous people with this taser. But the marketing to police, the sort of way in which this weapon took off. There was no outside advertising to police. This was what they called the Master Instructor program, where they basically hired off do cops who in their capacity as law enforcement officers, would take the company written training material, take the device, and Rick himself and some of the marketing people were brilliant at going on their own grassroots campaign. They would go department to department in the early days, and they would show these cops. They would walk in and say, bring us your toughest guy, bring us the stud bring us whoever, and all the cops would watch as their friend who was the badass right would just fall and scream. And I tried for years to find videos of anybody who could sit there and take it without yelling and screaming as loud as they can. And this grassroots marketing demonstration for cops directly was how cops believed the taser would be used, because the pitch was this weapon runs the gamut of use of force. You no longer have to put your hands on people who don't want to sign the back of a speeding ticket for you because they're arguing with you, they're not being compliant. Just taser them, get them in a handcuffs, and deal with it later. But it's like, it's it's it was. It's genuinely hilarious to watch all of these cops lose their sh as there being, you know, tasered in these controlled settings where everything is designed. Many shocks, many of these demonstrative shocks were for less than a second. They would later call these human studies. They would later call these proof of the taser safety. But you're talking about cops who were basically shocked for a second or less, many of them, and they would go down and everybody would laugh and The idea of the impression you would get was maybe that hurt for that second, but everybody's fine. Now, we're all laughing about it. And when I go off into the field, when I go use this weapon on real people out there, the same thing is going to happen. If they're going to give me attitude and not going to comply with my orders, I met taser them, teach them a and they'll be fine at the end of the day, and I'll get the result. I want now to the politicians, to the city councils who this was pitched to, the idea was, you need to spend all this money. You need to spend money on a weapon that's twice as expensive in a lot of instances as this as their actual guns, right because it's going to reduce the deadly force or the real violence that an officer faces. And what happened was it disonned the cops who would actually use them, so they felt comfortable using them in all manners of situations, to the point that criminologists would later claim the phrase lazy cops syndrome to describe the sort of epidemic of cops who were willing to just tazer somebody for whatever reason they saw fit and because the weapon did have risks that the cops were not aware of based on their training, then people like Bryce Masters, like Stanley Harlan, these people then were put into situations where they were hurt or killed in situations where they never really should have had their lives put at risk, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've been seeing I think this is a positive thing, a real uptick in these lazy cop kind of videos circulating, you know, on on streaming sites, on you know, TikTok on Instagram and stuff, Folks taking cops to task with their dash cams and kind of refusing to comply and things like that. And I think for refusing to comply in a positive way where cops are overstepping, you know, what they're supposed to be able to do, and how quickly that taser comes out is staggering as a threat, as a you know, a way of forcing you know, compliance in situations where they're already overstepping. I also want to add, I maybe this is obvious to everybody, but I did not think about this until this conversation. But you can get tasers on Amazon like tons of different like rhinestone, be dazzled ones. Not that that's neither here nor there necessarily for the cop discussion, but maybe, yeah, could you maybe respond to a little bit about these lazy cop videos that are kind of making the rounds and I'm just seeing more and more of and getting more and more kind of freaked out about the quickness with which they reached for the taser.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, there is a real difference between the civilian taser and the cop taser. That's important to note because civilian tasers, the whole point was that they actually didn't work that well. And that's why, you know, if you're trying to kind of think about defense weaponrylike they never really took off that much with civilians because the marketing didn't click. And also in practicality, they're not necessarily the best weapons for like if you're truly being attacked, you know, in this situation, and that was true of police too. The weapons are most effective in these static situations of non compliance. If you're in a real fight in you're a cop and you pull your taser out, especially these older models where there was one shot deal and you miss, you're in big trouble, right, Like, that's that's where things do escalate. And one of the most fascinating things that happened in the in the you know, long decade two decade long story of the taser is that the company eventually did sort of very surreptitiously reduce the charge of modern of the newer models of tasers, which started leading to more police shootings because cops were pulling tasers in situations where there was a fight and the taser wouldn't work, and then that would escalate to an actual shooting. And that's why they're not necessarily great civilian self defense weapons. When you're in a fight, you want to know you're going to win, right, And that's that's why, like some people are more comfortable just taking their chances with Mason running away than you know, trying to fire a taser and miss. But the lazy cop syndrome things directly tied to the fact that the weapons are most effective and get the results you want, the lower the level of use of worce fine argue with you guys, and you two you guys are pulling me over and I'm just you know, kind of not wanting to, you know, like do what you say or whatever it is you taser me, I'm like standing still usually, but if you pull me out of the car and I'm ready to fight and I'm coming at you and you try to taser me and you miss, the next thought in a cops mind is this guy can get my gun. And if we're in a situation where this guy can get my gun, that's that skin that is dangerous for cops. And so it became just the way they were used because the emphasis in training was about don't put your hands on people anymore, don't do the verbal judo skills that you've learned, don't waste your time taser these guys. Now, that's evolved quite a bit in twenty years because we saw departments have to change their policies when bad started to happen. That's the sad thing is that bad things had to happen in order for the weapons to be given the wait in the seriousness of which they're capable of.
Speaker 2: And before we move on, let's take a word from our sponsor and we'll be right back. And where you're back.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to the hypothetical situation you just set up here. Nick you're pulled over by three, I don't think we would be very great cops, guys, but you're pulled over by the three of us. Slide Yeah, we're for some reason in the same car. This sounds like a scenario or a safety study that Taser International as it was being called back then, would not have approved. One of the astonishing things we see over and over again is that the story that Taser tells already, right, telling a couple of different stories to a couple of different audiences. But they're also kind of telling stories to any governmental agency that would have conducted some sort of review or at least like a four point thirty pm on a Friday check in. So can you tell us a little bit more about why there were not real reviews by governmental agencies or how this company managed to conduct its own test, its own quote unquote studies on its own products. What happened there.
Speaker 4: It's really one of the fascinating things to me about the way that, especially our American system works, because we do want to encourage, we want we want capital, we want business to take risks. We want them to feel like the market doesn't have so many barriers to entry, whether that's regulatory or whether that's competition, that you can go you know, pursue a bold idea. But the regulatory system in the United States, if you're not talking about finance and you're not talking about you know, like pharmaceutical basically in healthcare, is basically the product liability bar, which means that like a company invents a thing or sells a product, makes a claim and then if something really bad happens, the company gets sued. But what that inherently means is that companies, basically right get to do stuff until there's harm or until there's damage, and then there's repercussions and then maybe they have to change. And the taser what fascinated me about it with so many people would make the comparison to the FDA and say, this is a weapon, but it's not really a medical device, so it's not under this FDA scrutiny. Not that the FDA is perfect, but we describe how like when you introduce a new drug, it's typically a ten year process from concept to market. Right for a new drug with the taser, what they did was they faced this choice. Rick Smith's dad is going to lose all his money if he doesn't figure out a working taser, and so rather than fold, they increased the power to get the effectiveness they needed. They ran around using literature from the old versions of tasers that were less powerful, and said this is completely safe. And there was nobody to look at them and go, like, prove that, how do you prove that? He did one study on one pig on an experimental device that didn't cause the pig to have, you know, heart trouble. They did a study on five dogs on the production model of the more powerful taser that were all five seconds or less, one hundred and fifty two shocks for five seconds or less. And then they did these demonstrates on cops themselves when they were doing their little road show, basically a lot of shocks for less than a second, and said this was the proof. And because there was no third party or regulatory authority, you had the one company who had an entirely obviously vested interest, I mean, the family fortune was at stake, making one weapon and running around telling now again what was very quickly tens of thousands of cops. By two thousand and four, we're talking about over one hundred thousand police officers, so more than ten percent of the police officers in the United States within five years are carrying these weapons right telling them this cannot kill, and nobody, genuinely, nobody is there to say, like, prove that in the literature, prove that in the science. And one of the most interesting people I've met in my life covering this, who is not actually in the podcast, but I'm hopefully going to do maybe a bonus episode or about this guy, is that is a cop named Andrew Dennis, who happened to be a trauma surgeon for the area departments when when Swatt needed somebody, you know, because if somebody got shot or something. He's a Cook County Chicago trauma surgeon and he was sitting in his taser training he was like, this seems like both Frankly, the science doesn't seem good.
Speaker 5: You can spook somebody to death if they have a heart condition, you know, I mean, truly, it's just it's mind blowing to make this rhetoric.
Speaker 3: No offense to you know, no offense to people in the audience tonight who are not surgeons but or trauma surgeons. But spoiler alert, they're a little more up to date on medical information. So it makes sense that this guy would be sitting there and increasingly feel like he is getting built where his colleagues are getting kind of swindled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's able to see the because they present a lot of the literature in the training and they show that, you know, they have this thick stack they would call the research compendium, which was hundreds of pages of you know, at a certain point, then thousands of pages. That just looks like a great prop because it looks like it's all of this proof that the weapon is safe. And they show some of the slides and some of the science of how they came to this weapon, and he's like, nah, that's that's not that doesn't seem right. And he did his own studies, and he was one of the very first to do his own independent research. He got money at a lab in Chicago to do some research to show no, this electric current can affect you know, a human heart. But that was years after. By the time he's doing those studies, this is the most popular weapon in police buy a long shot. It's not even close. And so to unwind the understanding for police that actually there is some risk. It was so entrenched in their minds at that degree that I'm sure we'll talk about him, but that's masters is a Kansas City police officer who is so convinced the taser cannot affect the heart that when his seventeen year old son is taseredd as a cardiac arrest and the surgeon at that hospital tells him the taser caused the cardiac arrest. This is in twenty fourteen, he still doesn't believe the surgeon who's telling him that because his training has been so effective that that weapon cannot do what it actually did to his kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his son was tased for a long time. And to me, that length of time, like you're saying, Nick, is really the issue. How long do you hold down that trigger after those nodes have gone into somebody, right, especially somebody who's just being non compliant or someone who is just standing there when you hit them.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 3: And folks, we're going to pause here for a moment. This interview segment ended up being a two parter. There's so much more we want to get to. In meantime, you can tell that Nick Berdini has indeed spent more than a decade and a half investigating this story. We can't wait for you to hear absolute season one Taser International, and we can't wait to hear your thoughts about it, so please contact us. You can find us on email, You can call us on a telephone. You can find us on the internet correct.
Speaker 5: You can find us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook with our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy, on x FKA, Twitter, and on YouTube with video kind of galore for you to just dive right into. On Instagram and TikTok. However, we're Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: If you want to give us a call, our number is one eight three three STDWYTK. When you call in, it's a voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air at some point within the message. If you'd like to send us words or not send us an email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read each piece of correspondence we receive, and it doesn't have to be just words, anything you'd like. We got some cool music recommendations quite recently that bluebe Away so joined us out here in the dark Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts, from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.