Speaker 1: Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today is part five in a very special Lingo Kids mystery series. Lisa, Cowie, Elliott and Billy are searching for the thief who stole the Olympic torch. A trail of clues have led them from a small French town to the tallest building in all of Paris, Eiffel Tower. Will they find the torch up there? Let's find out? It's so tall, Billy says, the Eiffel Tower was the tallest building in the whole world when it first opened.
Speaker 2: Wow, why did they make it so tall?
Speaker 1: It was built for the World's Fair one hundred and thirty years ago. And guess what a small some iron from the Eiffel Tower will be in every metal for the Paris twenty twenty four Olympics.
Speaker 3: That's so cool. Yeah, but how do we get up there? No one will win.
Speaker 4: A minute if we can't find the torch.
Speaker 1: Billy says, it's easy. We just take the elevator.
Speaker 2: Uh uh oh is that the line from the elevator?
Speaker 1: I'm afraid so the Eiffel Tower is very popular. Sometimes the line for the elevator can be hours long.
Speaker 3: But we don't have time to wait.
Speaker 1: Billy says, we can take the stairs instead stairs.
Speaker 3: How many stairs are there?
Speaker 1: Approximately one thousand, six hundred and sixty five stairs, but only six hundred and seventy four to the second platform only.
Speaker 3: Will never make it.
Speaker 1: That does sound hard, but do you remember what we learned from all the Olympic athletes we met. They do really hard things every day to train for the Olympics. Lingo Kids listeners, do you have any ideas to help the Lingo Kids' friends make it to the top.
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 4: Like when we've learned how free like a swimmer yep home and train with the team.
Speaker 1: Friends, help you go faster?
Speaker 4: True? Oh oh, I thought of one stretch body, Yeah, we got this.
Speaker 3: Everyone, let's stretch and.
Speaker 4: Blind fifty seven, sixty eight, sixty nine, seventy we're doing it, two forty five, two forty six to forty seven.
Speaker 3: It's almost there. Dress to.
Speaker 5: Chukch hop four one four two four oh three out six seventy two.
Speaker 3: Six seventy three, six seventy four. We made it.
Speaker 4: Wait the coueam. Does anyone see the torch.
Speaker 1: Billy says he doesn't see the thief or the torch anywhere.
Speaker 3: Me neither. But look out the window. Wow, you can.
Speaker 2: See every sang from up here.
Speaker 3: I think I see the louver.
Speaker 2: Hey, we were just there, so beautiful. Look at all the flags everywhere.
Speaker 1: Those are Olympic flags, Cawi. From way up here, you have a great view of the Olympic sports field and stadiums all along the side.
Speaker 3: Cool. Wait, what's the sin?
Speaker 1: The Sin is the river that runs right through the center of Paris.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's sure are a lot of boats on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, everyone, terrace is beautiful, but we need to focus.
Speaker 3: We have a thief to catch. We don't have time for sight seeing.
Speaker 2: A Lisa's right.
Speaker 3: We have to keep looking. But I'm tired, My feet hurt.
Speaker 4: Your beef is too sneaky, Cowie. We can't give up now, Yeah, Calie, we have to dry.
Speaker 2: You try. I'm gonna just say here and Enjoyd's beautiful view. Ah hey, look at that.
Speaker 3: What what is it? Cowie?
Speaker 2: That oats?
Speaker 3: It has no frame on it.
Speaker 4: The fee he must be escaping across the sand river. Oh no, you don't, you sleeky thae to the sin alone sea.
Speaker 1: Billy says, that's the spirit Cowie.
Speaker 3: We made it. I see his boop. A thief is almost across the sand. Oh no, what will we do? Don't worry everyone, I have a plan.
Speaker 4: I'll swim across the end and catch the thief.
Speaker 3: I am a really good swimmer. Here, hold my shoes.
Speaker 6: I don't think that that that's a great idea. The ten is not a very safe place to swim. It isn't definitely not. There are too many boats, for one thing. Even I wouldn't swim here. And I swim a lot.
Speaker 3: By you. I swim.
Speaker 6: I I am, and I used to compete at the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Lisa, this is Missy Franklin. Missy competed in her first Olympics when.
Speaker 2: She was only seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: She won five gold medals.
Speaker 2: Wow, how long have you been swimming?
Speaker 6: So I've been swimming since I was six months old, and I just turned twenty nine, so I've been swimming for twenty eight years and six months.
Speaker 2: He was really loved swimming.
Speaker 6: I've loved swimming my whole life, and so even when I was five years old, I was drawing pictures of myself on top of an Olympic podium with the gold medals. So being a swimmer but also being an Olympian was a dream and goal of mine for my and.
Speaker 3: Your drawings came true.
Speaker 4: You actually did make it to the Olympic podium.
Speaker 1: Were you so happy?
Speaker 6: Being on the podium at the Olympic Games and winning a gold medal was one of the most special moments of my life. Being able to hear my national anthem and knowing that I had accomplished something not just for myself but for my team and for my country meant the world to me.
Speaker 3: You must be so fast, missy. How fast are you at swimming?
Speaker 6: I don't think anyone's ever just asked how fast I am at swimming. But the best way I could think to answer how fast I am at swimming is that at one point in the two hundred back show, which was my best event, I was the fastest woman to have ever swimmed that event in the history of this party.
Speaker 2: Oh ye, super fast.
Speaker 4: Well I've not quite that fast, but I am a good swimmer, So why can't I just jump in?
Speaker 6: Comes to safety around the water is there's no such thing as being totally water safe. Even I am not totally water safe. It is so important to make sure, especially as a kid, that you have an adult or guardian that is there that knows you're getting in the water, and that we'll be watching and paying attention to the whole time. Never ever, ever get in the water alone.
Speaker 2: I won't, Missy me neither.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: But if it's not safe for us to swim in the sin, how will we get across?
Speaker 6: I think I can help you with that.
Speaker 2: Oh, do you have your own boat or a helicopter?
Speaker 6: Even better, I have a bridge.
Speaker 3: Follow me.
Speaker 6: The bridge is just down the river. You can cross safely.
Speaker 3: There a bridge.
Speaker 4: That is a much better idea than swimming.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Missy Franklin.
Speaker 3: My pleasure.
Speaker 6: I hope you all enjoy the Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we hope so too.
Speaker 1: Today the Lingo Kids' friends climbed six hundred and seventy four stairs to search for the thief in the Eiffel Tower. They didn't find the Olympic torch, but they did get a really good view of Paris and spotted the thief escaping across the Sene River. Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin helped them find a safe way across the river without getting wet. Will they finally catch the thief on the other side. Join us next time to find out