Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're booking a flight to Connecticut to pick up a six pack of seventy eight to O Hazy Ipa from Tina Charles' new seventy eight brewing company. Naming your first release after your back to back undefeated thirty nine to O seasons at Yukon cheers. It's Thursday, July thirtieth. Then on Today Show, Utah Talents catcher Charlie's Palacios joins US fresh Offer team second straight AUSL Championship win. We talk about the rivalry between the Talons and the Chicago Bandits, why she thinks catchers have to be a little bit crazy, how she found her confidence on the field, and the one thing she'd change about the league for next season. Plus homeward bound. So much for a break, and come on, Barbie, let's go party. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today, starting with Soccer Got Them FC announced Tuesday that veteran defender Emily Sonnet underwent surgery this week after leaving the pitch on a stretcher early in Friday's match against the Portland Thorns at Providence Park. In a press conference acting Got Them FC head coach Sean Harris didn't say exactly what the surgery was for, but he said quote, we're really gutted and devastated that we're losing such a key player at this moment in the season, but we wish her all the best end quote. We'll keep you posted as more details come out. The injury comes just one month after Sonnet signed a contract extension with the club through the twenty twenty eight season. Sonnet also, of course, a key piece for the US women's national team, who ff qualifiers this fall ahead of next year's World Cup. More nwsl BFC announced on Wednesday the club is activated defender Abby Dalkemper from maternity leave. The Bay Area native was available for selection for Wednesday's match against Got Them, but we're recording this before kickoff, so you'll have to see if dal Kemper got any minutes. She welcomed her baby, little Eli James, this past February. Welcome back, Abby. More Soccer. The Women's Africa Cup of Nations is underway and we've already seen one of the biggest upsets in tournamenty debutants Malawi beat ten time champion Nigeria three to two Tuesday night in Morocco on the strength of three goals from a family we know all too well here in the States. The Shawingas Kansas City current striker and two time NWSL MVP ten Wheweinga opened the scoring for Malawi in the seventy third minute, and six minutes later, sister Tabitha, who plays professionally for leone, found the back of the net as well. Then temw was sealed the deal with her second goal of the night. Meantime, another NWSL star, Barbara Banda, scored an outstanding four goals for Zambia, who beat Egypt six nil in their tournament opener on Tuesday. The Orlando Pride Strikers that after the game, there's no time to relax. The team's already focused on the next game champion mentality. Meantime, as the games get underway, players continue to criticize the lack of television coverage and fanfare for the event, which was originally scheduled for March before being rescheduled less than two weeks before its first match. You can read about the fallout from last minute TV deals to low attendance and lack of player preparedness in stories from ESPN and sport Cow that will link to win the show notes. The tournament continues for the next few weeks, ending on August sixteenth. One more piece of Waftcon news, some breaking footy and gay shit news. In fact. On Monday, South Africa's Robin Mudali Salgado and Gabriella Mudali Selgado made tournament history by becoming the first married couple to play together in the same Waftcon match. South Africa lost the match to Tanzania two to one, but love always wins. And if you just heard me say Tanzania and you're like, it's Tanzania, Well, when I was in Tanzania, they said it was Tanzania, but we say Tanzania in the States. So pick your fighter either way. Footy and gaishit expanding to new continents and tournaments, y'all. We love to see it to the WNBA. The Indiana Fever bested the Seattle Storm one oh five ninety five Tuesday Night, behind thirty two points from Caitlin Clark and twenty eight from Kelsey Mitchell. Mitchell has scored at least twenty points in a franchise record twelve straight games. That's tied for the third longest streak in w history. The Storms Statisha hide him and also scored a career had thirty three points in the loss, presumably having gotten her first good night of rest. On Monday after that studbud seventy two hour live stream, Aliah Boston took a hard fall in that game. She left in the second quarter and didn't return. In a press conference after the win, head coach Stephanie White seemed to suggest that Boston didn't return to the court out of caution. Take a listen.
Speaker 2: No update other than you know, it wasn't really worth the risk for us in the second half.
Speaker 1: Just want to be very conservative and make sure that she's good to go. We'll keep you updated on boston status when we get more news. One more note about that Fever game. Before tip off in Seattle, there were reports of a crowd of a few dozen gathered outside Climate Pledgerina to both support Sophie Cunningham and promote two initiatives that would bar transgender students from participating in girls athletics at schools throughout the state. This follows Cunningham's comments in an ESPN profile last week in which she voiced support for excluding trans girls and women from girls and women's sports. According to the AP, media members asked to speak to Cunningham postgame, but she was not made available. When head coach White was asked about the rally and Cunningham's recent comments, a Fever public relations rep stepped in to read a statement, take a listen.
Speaker 2: So neither our organization nor SOPHY had any knowledge of this demonstration and no contact with its organizers. Ar On Nicole is a team whether at Homer ways to win basketball games and make Fever fancial life and reunited on that mission to have more basketball questions.
Speaker 1: As for comment from the Seattle Storm, nothing from team PR, but Storm center Stephanie Dolson made her stance known showing up to the game in a tank top, reading trans rights are human rights. More basketball. The Portland Fire, who fell to the Las Vegas Aces ninety eight eighty three Tuesday night, are adjusting to life without guard Sarah Ashley Barker. She tore her acl in a loss to the Dallas Wings just before the All Star break. The sometimes starter was averaging career highs in points, rebounds, and assists. Per game, and head coach Alex Sarrama called Barker quote the heart and soul of this team end quote. Barker was in good spirits Tuesday night. She was in street clothes taking pics with Tom Brady at the game. That game also featured a fun alt cast with podcast host Trista Crik and musician, actress and Portlandia legend Carrie Brownstein. There were five WNBA games Tuesday night, and you might have been surprised to see teams across the league already back in action after the All Star break, which wasn't much of a break at all, but rather a slew of media obligations, parties, travel, and of course, the game itself. Players including Caitlin Clark, neko Ogumaky, and Brienna Stewart voiced their concerns about the quick turnaround, and WNBPA executive director Terry Carmikle Jackson told Front Office Sports that the All Star weekend scheduling issue was raised in the last two CBA negotiation cycles, but that the league wasn't receptive to any change in the MNBA players have been given more than a week between regular season games around the All Stars since the twenty fourteen to fifteen season. This is just another issue the w will have to address as expansion adds more games and makes for longer seasons. One more w note, Mattel has released a new signature bar Arbi doll, honoring Atlanta Dreamstar Angel Reese, dropping the collectible during All Star Weekend. The doll wears a bright pink basketball uniform with Reese's jersey number five, plus her signature headband and legs leave and her rebox shoe in Barbie pink. The doll is available now and you can buy the Barbie colorway of the shoe on August third. Finally to the AUSL, where end of season awards have been announced. The champion Utah Talents saw Bree Ellis win Comeback Player of the Year and Montana Fouts win Pitcher of the Year. Players from the runners up, the Chicago Bandits, also picked up a few awards, with Sammy Williams taking home Hitter of the Year and Odyssey Alexander Bennett winning the AUSL Impact Award and honor voted on by the league's players. Lastly, a Rookie of the Year went to Reese Atwood of the Carolina Blaze, who was the number seven overall selection in the twenty twenty six college draft. As we wrap up the season, a quick shout out to the AUSL on an incredibly successful sophomore season. It's on average of one hundred ninety eight thousand viewers up to the championship series. That's up one hundred eighty three percent versus last year, and that's before the first ever broadcast television game last Saturday on ABC. Lots more AUSL talk with Charlie's Pelasios in just a minute, but first we got to take a break. Stick here joining us now fresh off helping the Utah Talents to their second straight AUSL championship. She's a catcher in her third season with AU Softball and second season of the AUSL, and that's not her only title this year. She also led Sultanas Femenil to the twenty twenty six Mexican Softball League title at Chulavista, California native, she started her college softball career at Arizona and finished at UCLA. A member of the US national team pool, she works with young athletes to help them improve their fundamentals and their mentals too, with camps and online training sessions. It's Charlie's pelasios. Hi, Charlie's Hi.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me on. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so excited to have you on. Congrats twenty twenty six AUSL Championship Series winner. And it was a rematch of last year, which means for a second straight year, you have defeated my Chicago Bandits. So I'm happy for you and I'm angry with you. It did require an eleven inning play in game from Chicago over the Portland Cascade, So were you secretly hoping to face one team or the other?
Speaker 3: You know what. We were watching the game and just both teams are so elite, Like, I mean, this league has just elevated ever since we added two new teams and expanded. I feel like it's just brought in way more athletes, like just so much more competition. Like we had an expansion draft, so kind of like the talent got distributed a bit. So we were coming into this year kind of knowing that it's going to be a different look. There's gonna be different girls on our team, and we're gonna really just have to, you know, find a different identity. But keep the same culture, if that made sense. So yeah, I feel like those two teams, Cascade being a brand new team, they're fairly young other than like veterans like Tory Vidalas and Cis Bates that I mean, they were just not afraid to swing it. I feel like they didn't look at our pitching staff as if it was like a I call them the stallions because they're all like over six feet tall and they're just like there are horses, So I call them the stallions.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 3: They just come out and swing. So to me as a pitch caller and as a catcher, I was like, ooh, the cas kid kind of.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Well Megan Grant doesn't seem to be afraid of anything.
Speaker 3: Anything at all. Yeah, So I like they give me a little bit of like, Okay, I have to sit back, I really have to think. But the Bandits, I feel like we've created like a rivalry just because of the past year and just always playing them. I feel like the games are always good. Actually, if we go back to the inaugural season, they played us and they run rolled us our first game. Wow, first two games, I believe, so they were like dominant over US for a really long time. But I just feel like it's always fun to see them in there, and I love playing them. I feel like it's good softball to watch and it's also fun softball to play.
Speaker 1: So yeah, great Stallion pitching against the best offense in the league is always a good matchup. By the way, for those who don't know, run ruled is in AUSL It's what we used to call slaughter rule, and then we started calling mercy rule and now we call it run rule, where basically the game ends a little bit early if one team is ahead by a certain inning. Yeah. I mean, it feels like the Bandits had an up and down season. They struggled for a while, then they hit their groove and they were basically unstoppable as far as hitting goes. So what was the scouting report for them ahead of the championship series? Having faced them a couple times in the regular season.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a strange time in our league because there's certain there's other leagues that are going on. You brought up the league a Mahikana that I played in, so that's kind of a little bit earlier in the year. But the Japanese League is right before our season, so a lot of players are still playing in that and come in a little later. So I feel like, like you said, they kind of had to get their groove, they still had to get their pitching, Like Lexi and Kat and Skyler was coming in, so they just had some pieces missing, and I feel like they were waiting for them to show up. And what we saw were just obviously offensive numbers and categories that like they were leading the league in. So that was something that always kind of peaked our radar. But I feel like it got the stallions. We're talking about our pitchers ready for facing them and like wanting to go against them. I feel like it almost like made them just have that extra little ooph against the Bandits, just knowing that they have such strong hitters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well let's talk about the two games. So Saturday's game, just like last year, pitcher Georgina Kork put on a show absolutely quieting those bats from the Bandits, complete game, one run on four hits, bunch of k's. What stands out to from that game.
Speaker 3: Just watching Georgina pitch, Like the one word that I can say is like poise. She has so much poise and she's very relaxed chill. I saw her that game and she was like had a little grit and a little edge to her. I was like, Oh, she wants this game. And in softball, it's a series of best two out of three, so getting the first one, like you you want to put that one in your pot, like that sets the tone for the series. So we knew as an offense we had to come out sharp against Lexi because they give us our probable starters. So we knew that we were going to face Lexi, and I think George just wanted to put up something that the offense could work with, Like she didn't want to have any runs put up against her. I think she was like coming out just with a lot of conviction on her pitches and she knew what she wanted to throw. That's something that makes a catcher's life super easy, is like she is convicted and knows exactly what she wants, and it makes the pitches better when you're convicted. So I feel like that's just kind of what I saw. I was super pumped for her to get that start because I knew that we're going to have a really good chance to go up against Lexi, and it was going to give the offense the time that we needed to like pick up that puzzle. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to ask about that because you know, when you're working with Georgiana in particular, how often are you on the same page? How often is she very convicted and you disagree with how to approach a batter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so approaching different batters, I feel like it's like it's tough to just put it in one little category. But I like to pitch call the way that I wouldn't want to be called against hitting wise, Like that's kind of the perspective I take on it. And I also know these pitchers very very well. I've always taken the time to like get to know my battery. I always want to make sure that I know what they're comfortable with. I want to like be able to know how they're going to react or know what they want before they even know it. So I tell them I'm like, hey, during this like preseason time, I'm going to be hanging out with you, taking you to coffee, doing all this stuff. Like they're my work wives, So I have to really get to know them, and I have to know them like the back of their hands, So I feel like that helps me a lot. Yeah, just being like hive mind. I like to call it, like we have the same exact brain and it's just with two people.
Speaker 1: Catchers are like point guards in that way. They're coaches on the field, and they do a lot of work outside of just playing the game. It's so much of it is the mental side of things. And you know, we've asked this question to soccer goalies and hockey goalies, and I feel like catchers are the closest equivalent in softball, those players often are a little bit different. They have to have nerves of steel to be in their position. They have to be kind of okay with being a little bit on the outside and not quite the same as everyone else. Catchers, do you think they're a little bit different than everybody else?
Speaker 3: I say, we're a little crazy. You have to be a little bit crazy to be back there and just put your body on theline. Also like it, Like you said, we are point guards, but I feel like at the same time, we're like a player coach in a sense, like you are an extension of the staff and you have to know how your team works, the dynamic of it you see everything, so you're calling the plays, you're the quarterback. Like, I feel like that's just something that I take a lot of pride in. I know that catchers it's like a selfless, thinkless job. Yeah, but I love it because I know that my best friends that I get to know so well are the pitchers, and they're the ones that get to shine. So I've always loved that. Part of my position is that it's a very servant leadership type of role, and I have gotten so used to catching. I always say this story about putting on my sister's shins, her like hand me down shins, and I haven't taken them off since I've always loved it. I never pitched, I never played any other position. I just loved catching. So I feel like me and my family were meant for it. So yeah, I giggle at the people that think that they would want to catch.
Speaker 1: Oh hell no. Also, you have to be willing to completely trash your knees, and you have to be willing to face those seventy mile an hour pitches from like a foot away, like the mound is so close, and your reaction time and the bat swinging in your face. I mean there's so much going on. There's so much pressure to know exactly where to go at every turn if you're trying to like throw someone out where the play is like all that stuff, So you really have to be smart in the game. Did you ever have to talk yourself into having the confidence to play that role or was it always kind of natural, like this is where I should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that there's always moments like we talk about, like imposture syndrome and like just those mental health aspects. I found myself in calling doubting a little bit of my skill behind the play. I always felt super confident hitting. I love hitting like that, if I could play seven innings of offense, I'd do it. I love it.
Speaker 1: She wants the DH rule, Yes, give me DH.
Speaker 3: But I actually started really falling in love with catching. It was like a subtle art, Like I love when people don't even notice I'm back there because I know I'm doing my job. Like it's so quiet, so subtle, so like silent assassin type stuff, you know. So I fell in love with it. And it's like my sister. She she's five years older than me, so I always got to watch her when I was in high school. I got to watch her in college, and I fell in love with how she caught and I wanted to replicate it. So that was kind of my thought process on everything. I was like always trying to do what Sechelle did or asking her like hey, like how do you call a game? So then when I got to college, obviously a freshman catcher, don't know any of the pitchers, don't know any of my teammates. I have to lead a team, and it was a very highly decorated team. It was u of a coach Andrea. Is there so a lot of pressure situations that you're put in. And I remember Coach Andrea telling me like you're built for it, like don't be afraid to be yourself vocalized. If you're wrong, you'll learn from it. And I remember that season making calls. Maybe they were wrong, but I learned from it. And I still remember those plays like they established how I know how to call games today. So I feel like that's something that has really changed for me, just my thought process going through college and having to have those airs and those missed calls now have led me to make good calls in the games now.
Speaker 1: Well, if I remember correctly, you didn't have a single actual error your senior season at UCLA's, so that's pretty good. Saturday was also a special moment for the league because that game was on ABC. It was the first ever pro softball game to be televised on broadcast television. How special to be a part of that, to be a part of history forever. There's only one first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's only one first. And like what I'll say about softball is there's a lot of players that have given back to the game to let that moment happen. So like specifically my GM Lisa Fernandez, like she has given her life to this sport and she never got to play a professional game on ABC. So when I walked into I'm actually getting chills right now talking about it. It's like I know that there's so many greats that have come before me. Even my sister, she has never gotten her games broadcasted on national television. So now being able to just kind of get that type of audience to get bought into softball, I feel like we're trending in the right direction. Like we were just talking about how you were at the WNBA, and I see what they're doing and I can only hope that I can be a part of pushing softball forward in that way, and knowing that we got that ABC nod and we have so many people around the world, not just in College station where we were playing, can watch us. And even my family they weren't able to make it out, but they were all able to watch, and it's just such a cool moment for softball, Like, I'm so grateful that I'm living in this era of the aus Cel. It's just such a blessing.
Speaker 1: Well, and not just the ABC bump, but they also lent Toy story characters to the broadcast. So Woody and Jesse were part of this pregame parade with some youth softball players, and then they were part of the ceremonial first pitch. This is a glow up that we usually see for like NFL games, So the fact that Disney paired that with the aus CEL is super special. I'm wondering how it actually felt or looked in person. Were you able to see like is there a stand in in like a green screen suit? Is it just a blank space? And then later they put the characters in how does that work?
Speaker 3: No, they were actually they're in costume.
Speaker 1: Oh, like mascot types.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mascot type. And they had like Disney workers, like they had their like little badges that say their name. I was like, they flew all the way over here from Disneyland, Like what's going on. I'm a huge Disney buff too. My parents, bless their souls. We would always go to Disney on like between the payments for softball and Disneyland, like they were making sure it all happened, Like God bless them. But I was like so excited. I was like, oh, look at Woodie.
Speaker 1: He's like running around and.
Speaker 3: It was just so cute. But yeah, they brought like the little toys out and like made it like a little backdrop so that they could start the game and show it on the video board.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: And then they were like walking around doing the parade and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Before I get to the celebrations, I guess we should address that. There was another game, another great pitching performance, Montana Fouts cooking Jade Len Alchin raking. You win your second straight title, starting a bit of a dynasty here. You need more to be a dynasty, but there's only been two and you've won both, so again being the first, there's still only going to be one first ever and that's you and your teammates. And you're still the only champions of this league because you've won both years. So what were the celebrations like and what's the conversation like around setting the tone for this league?
Speaker 3: Our commissioner Kim After our first championship, we had known that the expansion draft was going to happen next year, so we kind of had that looming in our brain and all of us were saying, don't separate our team. Don't separate our team, like, we want to keep our team, our team chemistry in year one, I think because no one knew what was happening, it was so organic, like there was no blueprint of how it should have looked, so it was all just us bringing our complete selves to the table and like trying to make something out of it, you know. So that was that was kind of how we looked at it. And then year two came and it was like missing our teammates from before now having to reintroduce new girls, the rookies that we brought in, Like it was just having to create cohesion all over again and not trying to mimic last year, but also trying to keep the same culture. So that was like a weird kind of thought. But so when we had talked to Kim, we were like, don't separate us, and she's like, let's see if coach Lisa can do it again. And when I heard that, I was like, coach Lisa is the only person that could do it again. I'm telling you that, Like Lisa is made for that, Like she's going to find the pieces that we need. She knows the importance of pitching in the circle, so she kept our stallions together key one. Then we brought Dallas McGee in and that is like she played with my sister, so it was a very full circle moment to have her and then Taylor Tinsley, who was my battery mate at UCLA. Like I just felt so much love for my pitchers, Like I was like, this is the staff to do it. So just really happy about that aspect, and yeah, just being the first ever at they said something like a stat that the Talents have been the only team to ever win a game in the Championship Series because we won two sweeps, two sweeps exactly, and I was like, that is an insane stat. I love that we've won one hundred percent of the games in the.
Speaker 1: Champions That's awesome.
Speaker 3: That's a cool stat.
Speaker 1: I love that you mentioned the expansion, so you've got the new teams. Also, unlike last year, no longer barnstorming format. This is actual heading to the cities and playing in the places where the teams are. How different did this season feel from last year in terms of like structure.
Speaker 3: I love the structure this year. I feel like it felt so much more professional in a sense to have a home base. And I just have to say, these fans showed out to so many of these places, Like I have to speak for Utah. They loved us there. They like greeted us with open arms. It was a Wednesday and there was people in the stands, always cheering, always there. We did this like preseason event, and they had loved coming to meet us, And I loved meeting them because I felt like every time I had seen them in the autograph line, I was like getting to know them more and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, you guys came.
Speaker 3: You said you were going to come, and I was like, how are your games? To some of the girls, I remember their schedule, it was like it was super organic, and I think that's something that people love about women and female athletes, is that we have more connection with our fan base than the men do. I feel like they have a lot more accessibility to us in a sense that it's hard to get with male professional athletes, and I feel like they just get to know us better. It becomes more of a relationship rather than like they see us from afar. So I feel like that's something that I really loved. I loved getting to know Portland was one of my favorite places that I got to travel to because they love female sports. I'll tell you, like maybe even the girls will say, the Cascade girls, They're like, sure, least I would hit a horrible ground ball and they were like yes, they like and they were just so you did your best, You did your best, so positive. They loved them, Like it was such a cool experience to be able to play there and just play and have all these like crowds just accept us. I feel like it's such a cool experience, and yeah, it felt super professional this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I want to ask about the fans, because did it feel like there was a big difference in awareness, viewership, fan response in the second season. I mean obviously you're not tracking all those numbers, but just from the perspective of a player, did you notice a jump in like, Oh, it's second year of AUSL and way more people know about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I definitely felt that. I feel like last year it was kind of like a new thing, so a lot of people were talking about aus L. Unless you were in the bubble of it, you didn't really know what was going on. We had a good amount of games broadcasted on ESPN, so my friends from back home, people that had known us, would watch it and then I'd get random people being like, oh, I recognize you from playing on this whatever, and everyone was kind of just kind of talking about that. And I feel like this year it was like everyone was waiting for it. Like before I would play, They're like, tell me what your schedule is, I want to come see where are they going to be passed? Like it was just a lot more anticipation because they had seen it from year one, very intentional exactly, and we got that deal with ESPN that made the world of difference. The entirety of our season. There was a softball game on every single day, so yeah, it was like everyone could get a piece of like, oh, well, the bandits atret playing today, let me watch the Blaze And it's like even us on our off days, we would be watching the other teams play.
Speaker 1: That's so cool, so fun.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I remember landing back in the country from somewhere either Italy or France where I was this summer, and I was walking through the airport and I was like, oh, I'm back in the States because there's softball on ESPN and all the TVs in the airport, and like, it's very cool that that's the case now. Yeah, between ESPN and then the investment in partnership with MLB, it's just really professionalized the league in a very cool way. I have to ask you, let's say you have a magic wand and you can make any changes for next season. What's at the top of your list our uniforms? Oh? Okay, tell me.
Speaker 3: I am such a creative buff. I want to do something. I watch a lot of MLB. Obviously they have the City Connects. I want to create a city connect line. I want them to give me like the editor of whatever Adidas has to create it, and I want to make a color rush Like I feel like that would just right doesn't that like it just perks up your ears like color Rush, and I'm thinking, like, obviously Blaze has their pink, but making like a lighter kind of pink, just like kind of playing into the colors that like me as a little kid would have wanted to wear, but make it look professional. I feel like Coo would just make the fans love it, be engaged their storytelling behind it. I feel like we could do a lot of stuff with that. Personally for the talents, I would do like a super cute sage green and make it like a monochromatic look, yeah, with some emerald like pinstripes something.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, yeah, because City connect is really cool, they come up with great stories connected to the city and then Color Russian the NFL is usually that one, like monochromatic the whole thing, and both of them are really cool ways to like engage the fans with different merch in the storytelling. So I love that. I would like to see I would like to see you do that while people will be able to see you keep playing even though technically the AUSL season, championship season is done. You're playing in the All Star Cup in August, so fans can watch you and the rest of their AUSL faves. So good luck with that, and thanks so much for joining us and celebrating a little Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. And this is just so much fun, so thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Charlie for hanging out with us. And don't forget. You can now watch full length good game interviews on the Iheartwomen's Sports YouTube channel, so head on over and subscribe. We have to take another break when we return. We've got Canadians, Irishmen, and Swedes. We're all for one, We're one for all, We're all Americans. Stick around. Welcome back, slaces. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day. We are just days away from opening day of the Women's Professional Baseball League, a moment seventy two years in the making, the first real women's pro baseball league since the All American Girls, the league that was of course memorialized in a league of their own. I will be there on Saturday in Springfield, Illinois, to host a live good game and celebrate all the opening day festivities. So please come by and say hey, if you're going to be there Saturday, we always love to hear from you, So hit us up on email, good game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe a rate and review slaces. It's easy watch losing a favorite musician too young zero out of zero New Songs review. Wednesday morning, I woke up to see the news that the fantastically talented, exceedingly kind Irish musician, poet, busker and teller of truths Glenn Hanser died in a motorcycle crash, lost at the age of fifty six. He was made famous as the star of the movie Once, but he was also beloved for his music with the band The Frames, as one half of the group's Swell Season and as a solo artist. I've seen him live so many times, and I always left feeling like I'd witness someone doing the very thing they were put on the earth to do, feeling like he could uniquely feel and deliver and share the world sorrows and joys and mysteries and heartbreaks. When I read the news of his passing, I mourned for his family and friends, but also for us. I had the same feeling I had the day we lost the great poet Andrea Gibson. No new art were now limited to the words, songs, performances, and video clips that have already been captured. When people like Glenn and Andrea, pass, their specific, unique and special worldview goes with them. We hear this often when someone dies young, but it's worth remembering that nothing is promised to us. Got to appreciate every moment and every day we get. Now it's your turn, y'all, rate and review, Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good Game, Charlie's Good Game AUSL for a fantastic sophomore season. Few motor Cycles. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery LOFTUS and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain