Speaker 1: Quody bags with Joseph's gotten more. The worst job I ever had was working in a grocery store. I hated it. I hated every single day I went to work. And I think probably one of the reasons I hated that job so much is, first off, it was labor intensive. I was very young, so they had me on the front and bag. This is back when people actually bagged groceries and took them out to your car for you. I hated that, and I'm not a big people person, so you know, it wasn't my thing back then. And then I hated having to come in at three point thirty in the morning to unload trucks. I didn't mind so much doing the stocking. I just hated unloading the trucks. I really did. And my god, the managers horrible, horrible. But that was many decades ago, and here I am now. But you know, I want to talk about a case today that actually originates by a relationship that was formed in a Kroger supermarket. I guess love bloomed, but unfortunately it ended in homicide. I'm Joseph Scott Morgan and this his body backs. Did you ever have stock shells? Dave get Did you ever have one of those jobs?
Speaker 2: Joe, I am one of those people who I had an idea of what I wanted to do with my life, what career path I wanted to be on, and then found a way to begin doing it at the age of fourteen.
Speaker 3: That was to be on radio.
Speaker 2: And I actually wanted to be on the radio doing baseball games, calling them, you know, yeah on first and second, no outs, bottom of the ninth, Joseph Scott Morgan steps in. That's what I wanted to do and with yeah, because I didn't think playing ball was going to work out for me. So anyway, I did that. And I've actually I said it many times. I've actually never had a real job. I've worked in radio or in my entire life.
Speaker 1: So well, I got to tell you my goal when I was a little boy, I wanted to be an archaeologist. I always that was because I love history. I do like I love digging in the dirt, which I got to do, you know, helping helping forensic anthropologists throughout the years. They called me a professional when I go out there, cease being a death investigator and I became a shove leaner, which means that if you're working around forensic anthropologist slash archaeologist, you're there to do their scut work. And so I'd be taking the shovelfuls of soul and putting it into the sifter and.
Speaker 3: What you called it, a shovel leaner.
Speaker 1: A shovel leaner. Yeah, yeah, so okay, most of the time that's applied to people from the dot, you know, they're leaning on shovels. Yeah, I was. I was a professional shovel leaner. But yeah, not too many roads lead away from the local pigley wiggly to a career in archaeology. So unfortunately I had I had to start, I had to start out there. But it put gas in my car, right, you know, so I am grateful for it, but it was it was probably I preferred. I really did prefer working in the moork to work in the grocery store. Yeah, I really did.
Speaker 2: I respect people that have those jumps, yeah, because I know that it's like, I don't know what it's like clocking in, and I'm thankful for that. I worked hard to not clock in. I worked hard for that. But I've admired people who do that, can go in and do something like that day in and day out and find satisfaction and and build from it. And in this case, we're actually dealing with a young couple. We're talking late teens, and they meet at a Kroger and they actually are they're in this really lovey dovey stage, the kind where people are really infatuated with one another and they're just old enough where they're outside of that puppy love you get when you're fourteen and fifteen before you can drive, and you know, that's a different infatuation than it is when you're nineteen twenty years old. You're out of high school and you're in college or moving forward with your adult life. And so when you're in that infatuated state, it can kind of be sickening for those who are not in that state.
Speaker 3: Come on, you know it, just stop.
Speaker 2: That's where they were, and that's where this couple, Andrea Ilberg and her boyfriend Casey Grondin, that was where they were in their relationship. They were in that lovey dovey I can't stand to be a minute. You know, where they'd like go to sleep holding the phone kind of thing, you know, right right on their pillow.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, for those.
Speaker 1: Well hey, wait, hang on now, I remember falling asleep on the phone talking to Kim when we were in that dating phase, and it you know, now she just says, you know, I'll fill her elbow and she said, do you hear anything I said? Are you awake? You know it's gone from you know, that was so sweet to you know, are you listening? So yeah, you know, it changes, like you said, man, it changes over time and it goes through phases like that. But I don't think this relationship necessarily worked out the way. Maybe both individuals planned for it too. They were kind of a strange And by the way, this this actually happened a loath these many years ago, to the east of Flint, Michigan, in a town called Mayfield Township. Sounds very Mayberry like to me.
Speaker 2: You're actually talking about, like, man, what a week and a half, two weeks before Thanksgiving twenty eleve and Andrea is house sitting for her aunt and uncle. And you know, that's one of those things that you know, people do still do, I guess in certain areas, you know, And she's there and she's got her boyfriend. Hey, you come on, you know, she's like, what nineteen twenty years old and he's nineteen, and hey, come on over and let's watch a movie. You know, I got the house to myself, come on right, right, Yeah, And that was their plan, and so he's all excited about it. Casey is and he gets a message from her saying, you know, no, it's off. Don't want to do it. And it was like, because he went to the door, I think, didn't He go to the home and knocks on the door. She doesn't answer. Her car's don't answer. Yeah, it doesn't answer at all. Yeah, And he's like, I'm at the right address, you know. And then he gets a text message from her phone that says, I'm not going to do it. We're not doing this to and so he left and he was so disappointed he thought she was breaking up with him that he said he went home to his house and basically crawled in bedd and cried.
Speaker 3: For three days.
Speaker 2: Now nineteen year old man saying he went home and crawled in bed and cried for three days. Gotta be honest, Joe, that's not something I would admit to.
Speaker 1: But you know, I don't. I don't think so maybe for a couple of hours, I don't know, but not for a protracted period of time like that. Plus all that crying leaves you quite dehydrated as well. So I just I don't think. I don't I don't see myself doing that. And look, I know that you know, these events, particularly when you're young, can be absolutely soul crushing. And this is another thing. When you're that young, you are not sophisticated enough to actually read the room. That you're easily fooled. And I think a lot of it. And I guess you don't necessarily have to be young to have that happen. But when love is involved and you're vulnerable, you know, you you know, your heart is like an open target, so it can really, you know, it can really impact you to a great degree. And of course, you know, Dave, what do we always talk about? What do we always talk about? Man? And I've preached this over and over again relative to suspects, you're going to be looking at those intimate partners, you know, in any kind of case. So this young man, this young man, you know that he's let everybody know that he was involved in a relationship. And let me tell you one more thing about the grocery store. All right, everybody at the grocery store would have known that they were in a relationship. They're not like keeping the secret. Families know all of this sort of thing. But Dave, I got to tell you this. This takes a dark turn really really quickly.
Speaker 2: And well, okay, you know what she doesn't all right. I want to go back to Casey for just a minute, because he expected them to have a really nice date night and it ends up being she's not there, her car's not there at the house, and so in his mind, she's breaking up with me because he got a text an hour later, you know, and he goes and cries.
Speaker 3: Well, when nobody can get up with her. The last text from her phone was to him. He said, it wasn't a.
Speaker 2: Normal text from her, and that's kind of what sent him in the direction he went.
Speaker 3: But the thing is is that.
Speaker 2: When nobody could get up with her the next day, her dad was like, we got to find her. You know, she's not answering her phone, she's not at the house, and her car is not here either, so they began looking for her right away. It wasn't where I'm trying to think of how we go through the expression of you got to wait a couple of days, you know, before you really start looking. This was pretty quick because she was twenty years old, and she was connected, and she did have this boyfriend she was really infatuated with. So when she's not where she's supposed to be, how sitting, her car's not there, there was an immediate let's go find her. Now, my first thought would have been go to the house, the house that she's house sitting, and go look through that house. But then if her car's not there and the door is locked, are you going to go in? I don't know, because apparently that wasn't their first thought, they being those who decided to look for her. But early the next day, her car was found abandoned on a nearby road, and that's when when they realized her how her car was abandoned, Then we need to go look in the house, and that's what they did, and they went inside the house and what they found was the type of horrific thing you take to your grave, you never forget the site that that those and I don't know. That doesn't say exactly who found her, Joe, and I'm wondering, I'm guessing it had to be somebody very close to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and immediately, you know, you would call the police. Can you imagine the horror that would run through your veins, that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, that would literally crush your soul to see this beautiful young woman tied to a chair in the basement of her aunt and uncle's home, having sustained an execution style gunshot wound to the back of the head. You know, I've never had anyone ask me this question. However, I will give you the answer to the question that no one has ever asked me. What would be my preference? Endoor scene, outdoor scene, endoor scene. Every time for me, it goes to this idea of containment, and you almost have an indwelling barrier that's set up to a certain degree that prevents loss of any kind of evidence. You have to think, though, with this young lady, and from what we know from this horrible homicide that took place all the way back in twenty eleven, that there would have been a significant amount of trace evidence at the scene, either adjacent to her body or throughout the house. And they've never really released how extensive her injuries were. We do know that she was, and they've termed it as being executed essentially after being tied down. Why would you, I guess this is a big question. What would be the purpose behind tying this young woman to a chair if you just wanted to end her life? What would drive a perpetrator to want to sit her down? The only thing I can really think of, and I would imagine that the police did as well, Dave, is they would view this as perhaps torture of some kind or a I don't know, an inquisition perhaps directed at her. I'm going to control you. You will remain restrained in this position. I want answers, and I want them now. And if those answers are not given in a satisfactory manner, we're going to blow your head off or we're going to do grievous harm to you. And that's kind of what this smacks of. So when you have someone, I mean, let's fink my theory. Yeah, sure, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I thought it was. He's done.
Speaker 2: The individual has done whatever they're going to do, and they have tied her to this chair to say, look, you're not going anywhere. I'm going to leave, okay, And once I get done, you can try to get yourself out and you can go. But I'm leaving now just to calm her down. And then once she's calm and realize that he's leaving, boom shot to the back of the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's possible. I think one of the things I'd like to know that we know that she's bound to the chair, I'd really like to know if if she was, if she was, you know, blindfolded anyway, you know, like, for instance, if there was someone that if we go with with your idea here that if there was someone that she knew that was doing this, wouldn't they want to blindfold her so that she wouldn't have any knowledge of who they were, But that would imply that they had taken her by surprise, you know, so that they couldn't be identified if they were going to let her go free, but she could still recognize voices as well. And for whatever reason, someone was driven to commit a homicide and it's not like she was being there shooting her to wound her, Dave, this is a this is a headshot, all right. So the intent there is to end her life. There's no other way to really, you know, explain that and contain down there in the basement. That also goes to another point. I think, you know, for those of us that have basements in our home, the sound quality in the basement is not the same as it is throughout the rest of the house. So if you take someone into a basement, you're kind of sequestering them to a location, you know, because people can shout and scream, because you know, many times basements are at least partially, if not totally, underground, So you're, you know, you're kind of insulated from sound escaping. And if you want to do anything down there involving torture, you can because most of the people are not going to hear it that are in a right now. If you're up on the first floor or the second floor, that sound has a real chance of traveling out. So would would they have known about this? The perpetrator that showed up to the house. And remember, if we're talking about intimates, If we're talking about intimates, this is not her domicile. This is actually the domicile of her aunt and uncle. So how did the perpetrator know that the house even had a basement in it? You see what I'm what I'm saying a kind of familiarity, you know.
Speaker 2: On my word, No, I you know what, now, I understand why this case got messed up because everything that you're talking about, Joe, the different things you have to expect in an investigation, are still question marks here because you the only thing we know for sure is twenty year old and Andrea Ilbert is dead, tied to a chair, shot in the back of the head. That's all we know. In the basement of the house, which was this somebody who was familiar like her boyfriend, somebody who was invited over there like her boyfriend, that maybe downstairs was where they were going to have a you know, I don't know their date, even though she was house sitting, so being in the basement really doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: But maybe he's there.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I'm trying to think like you're saying, because I can't make sense of it at all. I mean at all, Joe, this is really confusing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it truly is. And of course the first person that the police are going to look at is going to be this boyfriend. And you know, and once I'm sure that once he starts spilling his guts about this, and he starts talking about how he felt like he was rejected, you know first, you know, right out of right out of the gate. You know, they're looking at this guy really really hard for this. They're wanting to know. Yeah, they're they're wanting they're wanting to try to get as much information from him as possible, and they're going to be assessing the nature of the relationship. And just to understand this, if you're doing a history with somebody like this, you're going to take them back. You know, how did you guys first meet? Well, we know that we've established that they met at work. How long have you been seeing one another? And suddenly the question has become progressively more uncomfortable. You know, have you guys been having trouble? Have have you gotten into an argument? Did the argument is physical? Yeah? Recently recently?
Speaker 2: Yeah, last night you guys got Yeah, you were supposed to be over there watching a movie, having date night and wait a minute, the text says no.
Speaker 3: So what do you think about that, buddy?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, And it's an out and out rejection, and so you're thinking, if this, if this kid has any kind of of anger that's built up over this, you know, what was it? We said early on Dave, this plays back into it. He goes in, and he begins to cry and cries for this long protracted period of time by his own admission. Okay, and I know, you know, you can make a light of it, but if he's wounded, he's wounded emotionally over it. And so in rejection, Amen, every every I don't know anybody that hasn't been rejected before, and particularly it's a very powerful thing. And so you know, the police see see these breadcrumbs along the way, They're also going to want to know where are you involved in a physical relationship with her? And again, you know, talking about how things become progressively more uncomfortable. Then they go out to all the peripheral people. Did you you know here at the front, at the front of the store where the cash wrests are, did you folks that worked these cash wrestlers, you ever see them get into a fight up here? Were they ever angry at one another? Did any of that happen? Are there any instances? And oh, one more thing, is it okay for people to date that work here? Can they date? You know? What's the policy about that? That sort of thing? So you have to consider every bit of this. But Dave I got to tell you when they work this case. They worked this case and the boyfriend is identified as the number one suspect in this thing. Man, he not only was he identified, he was actually arrested. Yep, dude, he was charged and convicted on.
Speaker 3: This carrogation video is rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the you know, the police, the police as they're going through this process are pressing him, pressing him, pressing. And if you're young and not very worldly, uh, it always amazes me that people that want to fight with cops on the street to get into you know, these verbal verbal contests with cops. You know that you can go to there's a technique that's taught that's taught in uh and you go. You don't get it necessarily when you're going through the academy, but there's actually a course that's taught and I remember it very well.
Speaker 3: It's called verbal.
Speaker 1: Judo and it it talks about how to either de escalate a situation or how to press the buttons of an individual. It's kind of a rudimentary way, you know, to do this, and you know, cops make their living by doing this. You know, that's why attorneys say keep your mouth shut, don't say anything because you're not as you'll never be as good as the cops are. There might be a few that are out there that can go toe to toe with the police, but every time you say something, you're adding more fuel to the fire. That's why you know, every attorney that I know that's a defense attorney is going to say, keep your mouth shut, ask for your phone call, and don't agree to anything. And unfortunately, in this case, this young man not only did he buckle under the pressure, Oh Joe Dave, he was convicted and they sent away to the state prison for life.
Speaker 3: Joe for life.
Speaker 2: Kim all I could think of, and I wanted to ask you this because you know what it looked like. You know what it looks like to find somebody tied to a chair with a gunshot in the back of the head. This nineteen year old kid doesn't. Were the detectives able to sit him down in that room and say, do you think maybe when she shot you down, that you might have blacked out and maybe you did harm her and you don't remember it, but maybe it happened, and just maybe you did go in there and see something and that's caused you to forget all these horrible things that you've done because they're telling this kid you can go home. Just look, man, we just got to get this and you're going to be able to go home. And I will tell you this goes back to you said lawyers say, don't talk. Here's why this kid you said it already. Chart arrested, charged with murder at trial, convicted, sentenced to life imprison Joseph Scott Morgan and this kid they got him to admit. He wrote down that he entered the house, saw Ilber's body, assumed she committed suicide, and then moved doc gigs in the room to make it look like she hadn't harmed herself. I got to write that down, Nune.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes no sense whatsoever. And yeah, you were talking about applying pressure. You know in that narrative that you're giving there are also physical things that can be done where they're not necessarily striking you. But I'll give you for instance. Okay, let's say one of the first things that they ask you when you're in that interview room is, hey, man, you want a bottle of water. And people think that's very benign, But what they'll do and they'll give you as much water as you want, okay, And what happens when you drink water, well, particularly me at this age, I'll tell you what happens when I drink water. But at that particular time, you know in his life, you know, he's he's ten, he's confused, he knows that he's here, he's being questioned there. You know, I don't know, not necessarily him, but there are these instances where you're giving water. Yeah, look, and the people that are doing the interview can see that you're becoming more uncomfortable because you've got to go avoid You've got to go to the bathroom. And it's almost like a Columbo moment where they say, yeah, we're gonna let you go to the bathroom, but wait one more thing. Let's go back to this point in time. So all the while that internal pressure is building up in your bladder. That's one of the little tricks. So keep your mouth shut, don't drink any water. So, you know, you begin to think about this and think about, well, why in the world would he admit to this, Why would he Was it because the police pressured him into it, or or was it because he actually did it? So day with Kenneth Grondon who, by the way, has been convicted. Now he's he's essentially, you know, taken off to state prison where he is going he begins to serve a lifelong sentence, no possibility of parole at all. He's going in, as they say, he's going in for all day. All right, Well, two years.
Speaker 3: Into evicted by a jury. You want to add that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's not just suggestion. It's not just the police, you know, and do the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Man and had a jury, they sat a jury, they presented the case, the evidence they had came out and this at the time I'm of the murder. He's nineteen years old. A couple of years go by and the man is convicted. Joe, He's convicted by a jury of his peers, not just a sitting judge. And that means something to me because this kid, he didn't do it. We know that ahead of time. That's why we're doing the story. But thank god, Joe that there were other people who did not believe he was guilty because he was able to appeal, and when they did look at the information, they're like, wow, this, I think we might have got this wrong. Somebody along the line got this wrong. Because he sentenced in twenty sixteen and it's twenty eighteen when everything starts to come together for him. But he's been in jail for he's been in prison, man, I mean, what's it like when you go to prison, Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I Ain, it's the county lock up. I'll put it to you that way.
Speaker 3: It's five foot ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is five foot ten. And listen. One of the reasons, and this comes into play that we know his height, Grindin's height, is the fact that a bit of the information that was used in this case to convict him was the fact that he was he being grinding, was identified that as using the victim's credit card, and also that they have him doing this. You've got these experts that have come in and they look at this thing. They say, look this, this person that you're saying is at the you know, at the ATM with herst stolen card, you know, withdrawing money. This person's like six one six two. Grind is five ten. And what they determined was that was that not only that, but also the police had violated what's referred to as Bender's rule, which just thumbnail here, which states that a suspect must be told when an attorney has been retained. So it's at that point in time that you know, all you must cease and desist with what you're doing with the suspect that they have legal counsel, they will be there too, you know, to offer assistance, and so anything that comes after that notification is inadmissible Dave. So you know, he could he could have admitted to anything. But if you break that particular rule, then all of that stuff is, any information gleaned, is going to be non admissible, and that that's what happened. And then you couple that with the videography evidence that just doesn't marry up, you know, with Grondin because he's kind of of a you know, he's kind of a stocky guy. You know, you look at him, he's you know, kind of muscled. The older photographs of him, you know, he's kind of muscled up and that sort of thing. And this actually led Dave to him being released from prison and sent home and placed in house arrest. Now they haven't overturned.
Speaker 3: It, but he was not free to do what he wanted.
Speaker 1: No, huh no. But they send him home. He's out of the joint.
Speaker 2: Right thankfully, thankfully. But Joe, now it goes back to you've got physical evidence that's got to be present whenever there is a shot to the back of the head. And I want to go back to that scene because wouldn't there have been some type of physical evidence left behind by the killer And wouldn't that killer take something with him or her? Would they not leave something behind and take something with them? I mean, I cannot get past this because you're really in close proximity to somebody, yes, you know, to tie them to a chair and you know, and then shoot them in the back of the head. I'm just trying to figure out why, how is it possible that we stopped investigating and went after this one guy because he was the low hanging fruit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a low hanging fruit. And here's something that's kind of fascinating to me. You collect, and Dave, what I'm i about to tell you this type of evidence is very intimate evidence. You go to the trouble to work the scene down, and you know, you're the aunt and uncle's basement where she was house sitting and found of course executed. You collect evidence at the scene that is intimate. And the reason I say intimate. It's not in a sexual sense. It is an item that you place in your mouth that DNA evidence can easily be transferred to. There are tons of these cases out there, and that evidence is that said evidence is collected at seeing, it's taken to the police station, and it ain't never tested. I'm always amazed in these cases. You know where things can go untested. You know, you don't get me on my soapbox about rape.
Speaker 3: Kits, and you know, because of costs.
Speaker 1: I think some of its costs and some of it is And here's the downside of being quote unquote thorough. It seems there are certain detectives out there and crime scene texts that want to take everything okay, and don't think that, you know, being a death investigator, you know, robs you of your humanity or a crimising tech or a detective, because when you go out to scene and you collect everything at the scene, what are you going to do with it? Well, you don't have the budget to test everything that's there. So you look at all of the items that you've collected, what's gonna what's going to have the highest problem outcome, what's going to be the most benefit to us? And we'll retain the rest of stuff. Well, that thing that they retained that was never tested, Dave, it's a cigarette bud. And so what do we do well for those that have never smoked cigarettes, if you've got a filtered cigarette, every time you put the scene in your mouth, and you've got you know, I don't know where they call it a micro knight, the a filter or that's what they used to call it back in the sixties. Uh, well micro knight, Mike micro k not, what is it? My micro knight filter? Cancer cancer sticks, another nail and coffin. You're transferring through saliva your DNA into what amounts to almost like a sponge. So yeah, it's rich. And the outer circumference of the cigarette butt as well. You're wrapping your lips around it. So if you've got saliva on your lips, that sit in just your tongue or your teeth. If you've got saliva on your lips, that's going to transfer to the outer cylinder of this thing. And it was never tested. And guess what they had this piece of evidence. They've got this kid who has been released and put into house arrest. My thought is that they've always suspected that there was at least one other person involved in this and they never followed up on it. Well, enter onto the stage our friends at AUTHORM, and Dave I got to tell I got to tell our friends the story behind me picking this case. I saw the case and it made no reference to AUTHRAM at all, and I'm thinking, Wow, this is really a wacky case. Dave and I ought to talk about this, and I made it through like the first two thirds of the article, and then all of a sudden, DNA solves pops up. And you know, most of the cases that you and I talk about with authorm are cases where we've got an unknown individual and they're finally identified after see authorm has multiple utilities, Dave. It's not just a matter of trying to discover the identity, which to me is one of the most noble things that can happen. But this utility that they have, this patented methodology that David and Kristen Middleman have developed at AUTHRAM, can help solve these cases as well. So if there are peripheral actors there and they have something like a like a cigarette button, I can only imagine a DNA scientist pun intended here with salivating over this, you know, because of how rich this is going to be and what you can extract from it. And you take that data and you plug it in to this forensic genetic genealogy database. With these open so open sources that they have access to, you're going to get a hit. And they did in this case, Dave.
Speaker 2: And you know, when looking at this, Joe and you mentioned them having the cigarette. But from the beginning, you know, the only thing I can think of is that while they did consider that they were probably more than one person involved, but they get somewhat of an admission of guilt without having to test a cigarette butt. They go and get a conviction by a jury and a sentence. I can see them not testing it, spending the money to test it, because they've already got it. It's done. We got the murderer, he's in prison. But the minute he's out, the minute there's a problem. I'm a little concerned, you know that there wasn't somebody that was yelling and screaming.
Speaker 3: Hey, look we got stuff to test.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I hate that it took this long for this guy to get his name cleared. I hate that he had police sitting on him at nineteen years old, and they were not being the way they should have been. There should have been somebody there Joe that said, hey, there's a lawyer outside waiting for you to talk to you, which is exactly what happened while they were grilling him. They knew it, Yeah, they didn't tell it.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to stop you there, man, I got to stop you there because Okay, this is going to be very disheartening for you to hear. Yeah, he's tethered in his home still and guess what what, Yeah, he's still tethered in his home. And come on, and the author he's up there are going to be filing new charges against him, against him, yes, against him, in addition to the person that they believe is the purp in this case, who for some reason, I think that the local constabulary believes that there is a connection between Grondon and this other subject that we're going to talk about.
Speaker 2: About, Chadwick. Yeah, Chadwick Mobley has now pleaded guilty.
Speaker 1: He has and he pleaded nolo contendre, which means it is as good as saying I'm guilty. And by the way, they you know, the family, the family of this young woman were very found that very dissatisfying because he was never if you plead nolo, they're not going to compel you, apparently to admit to what you've done, and which is something that I think is key, particularly in our society. If you see that the evidence is so overwhelming and you plead nol, it's not the same as saying I'm guilty, because under those circumstances they can compel you to allocute, at least on some level. But he was not compelled to do that. So you've got this fellow who, by the way, has essentially been on the run for many years. If I'm not mistaken. He was actually tracked down in Montana, which is where.
Speaker 3: When they watched him for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they had the info and they were having trouble getting anything from him. You know, that they could test to see if his DNA did match, and they finally did get it, but it took some time. And once they did and as soon as they questioned him, he bolted. You know, he knew, he knew what he had, well, he knew what was going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knew what was going on, and I can only imagine, you know, when if he's got counsel when he begins to stare down these numbers that Authorm would have generated, these astronomical numbers. Uh, they're gonna be looking He's gonna be looking right down the barrel of this thing, understanding that the chances that he's going to get off on this are slim and none. So he just rolls over and literally when there is no trial, he comes in pleads nolo to this thing, and the judge hands down a sentence on this guy, Dave of life in prison without possibility of parole.
Speaker 3: You know, this case is ugly, It really is.
Speaker 2: At this point, I feel sick to my stomach for the family of the victim here. You know, the one thing you have left after you lose a loved one is you have answers.
Speaker 3: You know you need answers. We need to know what happened and.
Speaker 2: Why there has to The why really just helps us. I think doesn't mean we agree with it or like it, but at least there was a reason. They don't have a reason. They don't have an emission, They don't have anything that allows them to go to sleep at night saying I know what happened to my loved one and.
Speaker 3: Why I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I just know that her boyfriend got locked up and now he's not locked up anymore. Another guy who actually pled no contest is now in the joint, but they're not. There is no you know, you and I don't use the term closure because I don't believe it's a real terms. Yeah, I think it is, and you know, if you guys disagree, we understand. I understand that, but you know, I just don't think there is. Sometimes there's an end, but even that end is hollow.
Speaker 1: It's not achievable. It makes it you know, that term again, you know, it gives the impression that everything's going to be all right and that you will have closure, you close that chapter of your life and you move on. And that's just not it's not the way it works. It's bad. It's bad wording. And you know, look, there there's going to be a lasting, you know, impact of this case. First off, can I tell you what really disturbs me about this? Going back to Chadwick Shane Mobley that has been arrested pled NOLO and has been convicted. He was at the time, he was working as an emt in Pontiac, Michigan. So there's that proximity. I think what I'm still trying to understand is what is the connection, what is the actual connection between mobilely growed and more importantly to me, this poor young lady Andrea. I want to know how all of those kind of triangulct together and this you know, what would what would compel a person to participate in this behavior like this that brings about an end to a life. You know, he had worked as an emt up there, so he he would have had this idea of proximity to those events which occurred, you know, like I mentioned earlier in this little this little hamlet outside of Flint back over to the east. And additionally, he had taken on a job Dave of at this point in his life of being a long haul trucker, so you know, when the investigation led to him, he was going to try to dispose of anything that might tie him back in his truck and went to some efforts to try to, you know, destroy these things. But the one thing that you can't destroy is your DNA molecule that you're toting around with you. It doesn't matter, you know, how many dirty towels you have in your in your in your cab of your truck. It doesn't matter if you've got food stuffs that are left behind. It doesn't matter if you know you're shedding skin off of your scalp and you wipe all that stuff up. If that's even possible, that genetic code that you have within you can still be paired up and matched with that genetic code that was on that cigarette, and those two things are blended together to give you a result, or not blended together, but compared and that you know, those numbers are, as I've said before, absolutely astronomical, and they lead back to him. But again, this case is going to require a lot more because this young man, according to what I have been reading, is still going to be recharged in this case. So it would seem to me that they're going to do this for one or two reasons. They're either going to say that, well, there's other things that we know about this case that you guys don't know, or maybe it's that they just want to save face for having, you know, led to a conviction of this man and put him away. And still even though he's not in the joint, he's still limited. He's not free to move about. But listen, now, that this case, at least to this point, has been solved. We have to keep in mind that it was solved by the efforts of those authorities that felt that it was in the best interest to dig deeper and try to determine, you know, whose DNA was on on that cigarette putt and of course that leads us back to Authorn. It's important that any of you out here within the sound of my voice that are interested in helping to solve crimes, helping to solve mysteries, please do yourself a favor and go visit dnasolves dot com and they have got a myriad of cases that are out there, but this is a self funded endeavor. They need money in the pot in order to move these cases forward. And anything you choose the case, maybe it's something the story is compelling to you, or maybe it's in proximity to where you live. You choose that case, you donate to that case, and when they hit that trigger mechanism for those funds, which is roughly seven thousand to seven seventy five hundred bucks, that case will begin to move forward at that point in time, and maybe, just maybe because of your donation, someone will have answers, I'm Joseph Scott Morgan and this is body Packs H