Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Friday Friday, Frida fridagg bride egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of.
Speaker 1: The Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and I am joined by fellow co hosts Garrett Morrison and Joseph Lavania. This is gonna be a fun episode. We're uh, you know, we're in the election spirit here. We did a podcast about a serious podcast about what the election might mean for pro golf last week. This week, we're gonna do a little bit more uh silly front end here. We're gonna be each running for president of Golf, and we're gonna we've got five campaign topics that we're going to talk about. Garrett, uh, Joseph and myself. I guess we're gonna we could come up with our party titles. We can see who's been influenced by big equipment, you know, based off their campaign uh campaign uh uh preferences and and and sides they choose here. But we're gonna run for for President of Golf. You guys can be the judge of who wins this debate, and we've come up with a couple of topics and then we will kick it over to an interview I did with Rue McDonald, who is with the DP World Tour, used to host a a a podcast about Scottish Scottish golf, who came on to talk about the critical juncture in the Cool Links story, which is a potential golf development just north of Royal Dorniic in Scotland, which has some important moments in its potential development coming up. So we will kick it over to that on the back end of this episode. But welcome on Joseph and Garrett. I am. I'm extremely excited to share this debate platform with you guys.
Speaker 2: Well, my question is if we become president, will there be any checks and balances on us? No, no checks and balances. So we're really running for king King of Golf, Yes, King of golf. No no democratic system here.
Speaker 1: Well, it all depends on who you get in bed with. If you get in bed with, you know, with big equipment or big agronomy, we'll see, we'll see, you know, here are the things things are. You could be elected, like you could run on something. You could be truly political and waiver in the wind and uh you know and know that you'll gardner votes if you say let's let drivers go five hundred yards.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I could just say a bunch of completely unrealistic stuff, get elected, and then just sell out to the highest bidder immediately. Yes, yes, has never happened in the United States. By the way, this is this is completely imaginary here. Nothing of the sort would happen in our country.
Speaker 1: No, nothing, nothing is the all all in all this could be you know, it could be a week where you know, people are are stressed out about the election. This is supposed to be all in fun and good fun in spirits. So we have we have five topics. We have men's pro golf, women's pro golf. I'm gonna throw a curveball and throw an amateur golf here. Oh, because I'm gonna add one, because it doesn't seem right to just a drive the pro golf game, amateur golf. Grow the Game initiative. You have We have tasked everybody to come up with one Grow the Game initiative. Equipment and uh, golf course industry. Those are the big topics. We'll we'll debate and propose our our thoughts on each topic, and then uh, maybe we'll have PJ to clare winter end.
Speaker 2: PJ is the one voter, The one voter really has all the power here.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: By the way, PJ. Unlike on the Shotgun Start podcast, PJ is into silent booth right now in our recording system, so he can't say anything, but he gets to vote.
Speaker 1: He's in full producer mode, which does not give him any speaking privileges. Before we get to talking about our campaigns here, let's talk about good Walk Coffee Company. We are partners with good Walk Coffee. We make great coffee together. They are our roaster. They buy high grade beans from all around the world and they they make great coffee with them, so we have a couple of different blends. A personal anecdote is I gave one of my neighbors a cup of cup of coffee one morning. She uh, they they are they buy good beans. And this is a true story. I gave her a cup of coffee and she said, what was that coffee you gave me? It was so good? Said, well, here's here's a little bit. Uh, here's a bag that is half full. Try it out. It's our coffee that we make. She is now a subscriber to the coffee so turned her into a subscriber. She was a subscriber of coffee of a very good Bay Area roast roastery company. So if you want to become a fried Egg coffee subscriber or try out Fried Egg coffee, check us out at Goodwalkcoffee dot com slash fried Egg. We have two blends. We have the fried Egg Blend, this one I would recommend to people that like a lighter roast, and then we have the Shotgun Start Blend, which I would recommend to people that like their roast a little bit darker. So if you go to Goodwalkcoffee dot com slash fried Egg and use the promo code frieda Egg at checkout, you'll get twenty percent off your entire order. If you want to start a coffee subscription, you get thirty percent off your first order and then you'll save ten percent on all future shipment. That's Goodwalkcoffee dot Com slash fried Egg and the promo code is fried egg one word. Thanks. Let's get to our presidential campaigns here. All right, so let's kick it off. Let's kick it off with the the first topic. We'll start with men's professional golf. Jessep Leamanya, you are up first.
Speaker 3: The way we're talking about this, I kind of wish I may have may have taken this exercise too seriously and probably should have pandered a lot more.
Speaker 1: There's time time to switch. I I have nothing written down. I'm I'm speaking third on every topic.
Speaker 2: We know how voting is done, we know who to pand or to.
Speaker 3: The ARBs have changed champions tour every verses on Long Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. No, my New York platform, that's.
Speaker 2: Save the New York Jets. Yeah, make the Yankees trade Wan soda to the Mets.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to change some things on the fly here my men's professional golf platform. Jay Monahan's getting fired. But that's not the main thing I'm sticking to completely. We're doing away with TiO relief. No TiO relief in any if it rubs up against the concession stand. If your ball goes up a concession stand, you can have a one shot penalty, but otherwise it is on course setup. There's no more cio relief, No more cart path relief. Players are gonna have an absolute uprising. But PJ is gonna love it, which is the most important contingency here. And there's the only one sport right now that is actively compromising the field or the court. You don't have cameras getting in the way on an NBA court interrupting shots. We're doing away with TiO relief completely. Let's restore some consequence back to professional golf.
Speaker 2: I like that one. You know I shouldn't say that because I'm running against you.
Speaker 1: You could take on playables, you could like you. If you don't like what you the only your only options to take it unplayable. And one of the options of unplayable, which rarely gets used, is replaying your last shot. Actually it's the.
Speaker 3: Player player round organization, the PGA Tour. If they don't like it, then talk to the PJ Tour setup crew and move the infrastructure around.
Speaker 2: But no more t I Yeah, lots of potential Tin Cup situations.
Speaker 1: There if we get if we if somebody reunites the game and you get Patrick Reid there, he could start to say that all the all the t I, all the obstructions are on the left side of the golf course. People are people? Are they? The players have banded together against me every obstructions on the left side of the golf course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Patrick Reid does not like things on the left all right. My proposal for my platform with regard to men's pro golf is to a the FedEx Cup playoffs. Get rid of him. We are destroying the FedEx Cup playoffs and we're not looking back. We're going to focus on establishing strong, distinct tournament brands. Make the Tour Championship what it should be, one of the three best non majors on the PGA Tour schedule. You can keep it at Eastlake. Eastlake's fine, seems like it has a lot of support there. But make it the Tour Championship, not this weird, staggered star thing that we have right now and then. And this is really appealing to Andy rather than PJ, so I should probably change this. But bring back the Western Open. Make it a rotation between Olympia Fields, Harding Park, Chambers Bay, Cherry Hills maybe or Castle Pines would probably be the most likely candidate in Denver, but Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver or three great cities that are underserved by PGA Tour golf. Right now, that is the good MW Western Open. You can keep the sponsor. You know, you could have some nice BMW ads with with golfers driving across the desert or the great planes or whatever to get wherever they're going. It seems like an obvious sort of partnership between a brand and a concept for a tournament. That's my proposal. Focus on creating great tournaments on the PGA Tour schedule. Abandon these notions that you're ever going to generate an enthusiasm about a season long race on the PGA too. I just don't think it's gonna happen. This is not f one. So make those tournaments great. What's valuable in golf is an awesome tournament, like the Masters or the US Open or the Open. That's what we should be focusing on.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of incentivizing each individual tournament to be great on itself, Like the idea of oh, nobody's coming to our event. Well, maybe your event sucks, that's why nobody's coming.
Speaker 2: It's not like that came from nowhere, because it's an awesome tournament at an awesome course.
Speaker 1: So it's like, oh, players aren't coming. That's not the PGA Tour's fault, that's your fault. If you put the onus back on that, like you would get fresh ideas, you would get events doing creative stuff to to entice players to come, you might get new formats, you might you know, like there's a way, but you know the way the PGA Tour is going. What I like about this both both of the discussed options seem to be the opposite of the way that the tour is running. You know, they're trying to get every tournament run by championship management, which is basically the death to any soul of an event. If you want to if you want to kill the soul of an event, turn it over to championship management. Is abolished champions So one thought. One thought, I was, I was there was. There's a large contingent of people, a big collect cohort of of of funding sources that was trying to say it was trying to convince me to just say just end ment pro golf, just end it. But I I said, artists, I said no to that money. Instead, I am I'm going to run on the platform of everybody's saying, make pro golf smaller, make it a you know, like, make the the top end of the tour really small. I'm gonna say, just make it really big. Have a thousand have a thousand person tour. Just put the the European Tour, the PG eight Tour, Live Golf, Cornfieur, the Challenge Tour, and PGA Tour Americas all it. Call it the same tour, but have different levels and exempt statuses that you cycle up and down. You play for the same points, and it's one giant tour that feeds up and down constantly. There's no relegation event. There's relegation events. Every single week. You're either up, you're either down. If you fall out of the top fifty, you're out. You know, Oh we're playing a tournament in November. If I'm forty fifth, I don't get an off season. I gotta go play. I gotta go grind to keep my status up high. And I think, like, actually, like everybody's like, Ben, this was just a thought this morning. Everybody's been talking about making pro golf smaller. And when you think about the idea of pro golf like and you think about it, it makes sense off the off, the b off the bat. Yeah, we need a smaller tour. But in reality, most things in golf are completely the opposite of what you think. You know, if you're if you're hitting the ball right, you know, if you're hitting a slice, you swing right. You don't swing left like naturally you think, oh I need a swing left. You know, everything in golf is actually the opposite of what you your natural instinct is to think. So my my platform is going to be make a giant tour and have just playing up and playing down all the time.
Speaker 2: Would that be the theme of your administration? Just do the opposite of whether whatever the common sense approach would be.
Speaker 1: I think there is like with golf, there is a strong if you did the opposite of what the general public thinks you should do with golf, you would generally be on the right side of history.
Speaker 3: Andy, have you run this idea of one giant tour by the Department of Justice?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 2: I have not well which department of Justice?
Speaker 1: True? True? If I'm if I'm the king, I don't have to worry about this, right apartment.
Speaker 2: You're you're dismantling the Department of Justice. You're you're staffing it with uh with cronies. Yeah yeah, yeah, all right, Andy's Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Let's move on. I'm an I'm gonna pause on the whitmen's golf. I'm gonna throw a wrench. I'm a I'm a misdirect going different order, Garrett, what's your grow the Game initiative?
Speaker 2: My Grow the Game initiative is to establish a registry of public courses that are historically and or architecturally important and create grants for restoration projects at these courses. Do I know where the money's coming from. No, But since I'm the king, I can just kind of appropriate a certain portion of the of the tax funds that come in and and that'll that'll be that.
Speaker 1: But you could tax pro golfers, That's right.
Speaker 2: They love being taxed. So create these grants for restoration projects. Maybe establish a panel or something like that of independent history and architecture experts who could determine which courses qualify for these grants, but provide these courses some money to do legitimate restoration work. And I believe that that would help grow the game. I don't know it would make the game better. I don't really like growing the idea of growing the game, because usually when people say that, they just mean I want more money from the game. But I believe this would be good for the game in the sense that one thing we need right now is a greater supply of golf courses. And one place where we can find that is struggling historic courses in urban centers. Right now, those courses are closing down rather than you know, getting to the next level because it's so hard to make the finances work. But the demand is there right now for golf. We need, if anything, more golf courses. Right now, we are under supplied with public golf courses. The public golf courses that we have, especially in urban areas, are booked up to the gills. People can't find tea times, and so we need to preserve the great golf courses that we have in city centers, historic golf courses that have been there for a long time but just need a little bit of TLC. And that's what this registry and grant system would do.
Speaker 1: It's almost like farmer subsidies.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, grow some corn, you know, grow some good architecture.
Speaker 1: We know, we know it's not you could make more money, growing something else but gross corn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. We need corn, We need architecture.
Speaker 1: We know you could sell your golf course to private equity, turn it pop private.
Speaker 2: Or turn it into a mixed use residential development. Not to make this too serious right now, but I just heard recently that a great old course in the Philadelphia area. I believe JC Melrose you know about this place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maxwell, the Maxwell Course, it's closing down. I saw that it's done.
Speaker 2: It's being redeveloped. And the fact that that is happening right now when there's so much demand for golf is a problem, and it's something that we need to address urgently or else the game is gonna wither on the vine. We need a supply of golf courses, and we need a financial system that allows those golf courses to exist and be affordable and be affordable and be good.
Speaker 1: Joseph, what's your Growth the Game initiative? Not too dissimilar, Garrett. I like your idea.
Speaker 3: I'm going to reimagine the way that public golf courses are booked. It's a problem specifically in Austin where I live, but I think it's a problem, huge problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, about this about LA specifically recently put together by Kevin Van Wolkenberg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, like you're saying, Garrett, there is high demand right now and often not enough supply at certain golf courses. Like the way it works in Austin, people have to line up at certain hours to get a tea time, which really only allows certain people, like a lot of retirees, to get those tea times. I think there should be a solution where people who want to play golf have some level of access. It might not be like a perfect priority order where everyone's getting an equal booking time, but I think that we could do a little bit. We can make some strides on getting people who are interested in playing golf out onto the golf course. I'm interested in looking at dynamic pricing. I think it's sometimes crazy how tea times that are sixty dollars all the time go on un used, and then nobody's using them when they could pay I don't know, twenty four twenty eight dollars. I know that there's some pushback on dynamic pricing, but I want to explore it. I'm going to take solutions. We're going to solicit solutions from the smartest minds. I don't have a full plan to lay out here, but I want to completely reimagine the way that public golf is booked in this country and potentially in the world.
Speaker 1: If this solution works, we'll take it worldwide.
Speaker 4: I like this.
Speaker 1: You know, we're Joseph is proposing some some capitalist ideas, some you know, free market speech from Joseph here for public golf.
Speaker 2: And then saying that he's going to spread it worldwide. I haven't heard this love the idea of spreading democracy worldwide. I'm not talking about democracy. We should pursue this and if we don't accept it, then we should go to war with them.
Speaker 1: This is this is being misconstrued.
Speaker 3: I just didn't want to leave out all of our friends across the globe who get mad when we're too American centric.
Speaker 1: I want to offer the solution. I'm a Garrett Garrett's Garrett's talking about subsidies.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I'm all about government. Yeah, I'm just I'm gonna grow the government so much. I'm not growing the game. I'm growing the government, all right.
Speaker 1: I uh, I guess what I want to propose for grow the game. I think kids clubs should be free. Here's the thing kids clubs are good for like a year. Your kid grows all the time. So you go into the golf shop, you sign out a set, and then you bring it back a year later and you get the new set. There's no reason that people should have to pay to get these golf clubs, like you should. So it should be free because like you, by the time you buy them and you out, you outgrow them in like a year or two. So make these golf sets like you go in, you sign out. If you don't bring it back, you don't get the next size up. And yeah, sure, Like is this gonna cost a little bit of money, absolutely, but this is a way to actually get golf clubs in people's hands. Like have you have you tried has your kid tried golf? Oh no, I heard its super expensive. Well, actually, kids get freak clubs if they go and they you can go pick them up here. Like there's nothing special about kids clothes. You go, kids clubs. You don't need like big time teching them. You don't need anything like that. And the thing about it is like there's great programs like Youth on Course that offer affordable golf for kids. Why don't we make the golf clubs really affordable and easy to use too. This is like one of the great virtues of basketball is that literally the only thing you need to play basketball is a basketball. Yep, and there are hoops all over the play soccer. The most popular games, uh in terms of participation generally are the easiest ones to play. So let's remove some of the barriers for kids playing sports. Let's give them free golf clubs.
Speaker 2: I love that you know your daughter's not old enough right now, I think to have golf clubs yet maybe you're already starting her right that.
Speaker 1: I haven't back always Yeah, okay, we haven't used them.
Speaker 2: My kids are. My kids are are seven and ten, and so they both have sets of golf clubs, and it has been expensive to keep them in golf clubs that actually fit them because, as you say, they grow quickly. And also when you buy them a set of golf clubs, you're thinking, well, I got to get it too big for them right now, because they need to grow into it like a pair of shoes. And that's a problem too, because for six months or whatever, they're using golf clubs that are kind of way too, way too big for them. But I do like how we're working the deficit here. We are really milking that. We're just living on the edge of that huge deficit and just you know, living there.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to get We're going to get there by taxing the pro golfers.
Speaker 2: Well, the real solution here is make the USGA do it. Yeah, that's that's the Uh, that's the real.
Speaker 1: Podcast is a sponsored by the u s g A. All right, let's move out to the next topic. We're gonna go with equipment.
Speaker 2: I think we're all gonna have the same proposal here.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I might waiver in the wind. This is where I might be appealing to.
Speaker 2: You, might take some of that cushion of money, sweet, sweet exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, you want to know how you could pay for the free golf clubs? You know you buddy up with the kusht.
Speaker 2: Pack a cushion it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Uh, we'll start with you, Joseph on this topic.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm just realizing, as you suggested free kids clubs, I thought way too inside the box for all my solutions are way too practical. So I'm kind of regretting that I'm gonna have to change on the fly.
Speaker 2: For it's good to be practical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was He is always like a practical person. DJ was sketched out as a Champions steward trip and send me hard costs. He's a practical guy.
Speaker 2: He's a practico.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: I'm just shrinking the driver head, keeping it simple. I don't need to dwell on this one too long. We've heard a million golfers talk about it, descaling the game. We're shrinking the driver head effective immediately. Let's bring some finding the center of the club face back to professional golf. This is only going to be for professional golfers if you want to swing a ten thousand cc club head, because that's what everyone loves. Be my guest, but this is gonna help brain in distance. It's a very practical solution. Bring back skill address the distance issue. We're shrinking the driver head on day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's my proposal as well. But instead of saying that, I'll just say two words, no tease. Next question, as a driver that that explodes.
Speaker 3: When you swing over a certain miles for hours, the great Peter costas Peter Costa.
Speaker 2: Or maybe like a piece of it falls off or something, or you know whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to propose this because this, you know, this is this is all fun. This might not be the most practical thing. One of the great things about Persimmon heads was that you had like people like pro golfers would use the same driver for twenty years. So again in the nature of like removing barriers to entry into the sport, like cost is one of the biggest ones. And when you had the best players in the world using a twenty year old driver or ten year old driver, that's a good message. That means you don't have to go spend eight hundred dollars or one thousand dollars every year to get the new tech. So my my proposal, let's go back to persimon. Have there be modest you know, innovation. You could like I remember I have a set of Ben Hogan woods that I shipped away to Roberto Castro that had like this little cut in the side of the head that was like a speed slot, you know that, Like the idea was to increase the aerodynamics. But like Persimmon, like you can't hollow out per Simon. You can't, like it's just a solid block of wood. And the thing about it is like once you find a driver you like, you just use it. That's your driver, And I think that's fine. Like that's kind of the way I treat drivers in general is once I find a driver I like, I usually use it until it cracks, and then I move on to the next one. The great thing about Persimmon is that it won't crack in six years or seven years. It'll it will just be good for twenty five years. I never have to buy a new driver. So go back to persimmon heads for woods, and you would immediately reduce the cost of the sport. Like once again, like my platform is like how do we increase participation and reduce the cost of the game really in general, And and that's where I'm going to be on Persimmon driver heads And guess what, it's more fun to hit a personmon driver head. I can't tell you how many times I go places with either my Hickory's or my retro clubs and say we play through a group or a group plays through us, whatever it may be. Everybody in the group's like, oh my god, is that a Persimmon driver or is that a Hickory driver? And I say, oh, do you want to try and hit it and they're like, oh, absolutely, and then they hear the sound of it and they're like, oh my god, that was amazing. It was way easier to hit than I thought it was.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 1: I think like one of the things that the that the equipment companies have done, and this is where I'm going to lose my cushion at funding for the free kids clubs. I think they've hoodwiged people into thinking that Persimmons are like this impossible thing to hit.
Speaker 2: Well, the crazy thing is that you and I Andy are old enough to remember watching people play per Simon drivers for real. Yeah, Like when I started playing golf, my dad still hit a per Simon driver. My dad is not a professional golfer. He just liked the club and he had fun playing golf. I dare say he had more fun playing golf than most people who play golf today. And so the game was fun forty fifty years ago. It's just expectations that have gotten in the way. And you know what's cool is watching sho Heyo Tani swing a wooden bat. It just wouldn't be as cool to see him do what he does with a metal bat. And sorry for bringing up traumatic things.
Speaker 4: PJ.
Speaker 3: Probably the underrated part of that too, is the impact it could have on pace of play by hitting the ball a little bit shorter and not everyone going for five hundred yard one hundred and twenty yard part fives at public golf courses like we'd probably see an increase in pace of play.
Speaker 1: The other thing is dispersion patterns or are less because the ball doesn't go as far, so it doesn't go as far offline, less time looking for golf ball.
Speaker 2: Something that's already gotten lost in the equipment discussion is the whole point in the first place, which was to try to control the expanding footprint of everyday golf courses. That's what the governing bodies were really putting research into is finding out what those dynamics were, not just at tour golf courses, but at the golf courses we play every day. And they did find that those courses are being stressed by the realities of distance gains at every level of the game. So this is not just a professional golf issue. But we're agreeing too much here. I feel like people don't have enough of a reason, or PJ doesn't have enough way.
Speaker 1: We haven't we haven't swerved off yet we haven't and nobody's nobody's made a you know, crazy claim that you know clearly some sort of big industry titan has gotten to them.
Speaker 2: I mean I did say, I'm not sure which industry would encourage that.
Speaker 1: Just I think you're pandering to random Twitter responders suggest that I am. That's that's such a Twitter thing to say. No, teas, let's go to women's professional golf. What is your what is your your platform here? What is your opinion? Where? Where's? Where do we need to go?
Speaker 2: Who's going here?
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta go last on all of them.
Speaker 2: Well you're because you get to you get to back clean up here. Yeah. Well, with women's pro golf. Since since I've already established myself as a tournament destroyer in my proposal to abolish the FedEx Cup playoffs, let's get rid of the Avon Championship. You know it can still exist, but it's not a major. And let's give an ultimatum Chevron and say, if you don't take this tournament to a worthy golf course, we're taking away your major status too. Will go with three majors for the time being and see if a fourth emerges. Somewhere along the way. But right now, these are not majors. Nobody feels like they're majors. It's just a big charade. We're told they're majors, but we know in our souls that the Avon Championship and the Chevron Championship are not major championship golf in the way that the US Women's Open is, in the way that the Women's PGA Championship is, and in the way that the Women's Open clearly is. So that's something that really needs to be fixed, because if one thing absolutely has to work in a professional golf structure, it's the major championships. That's the one thing that men's pro golf is doing right right now. It's the one thing that's going well on that side of the game. The majors are still the majors and are still great. Needs to get its act together with these five majors, two of which are really not majors.
Speaker 3: That's some big dictator energy right there, Garrett. That's like, yeah, evy on, go tell Chevron what I did to you. That's I'm just just levy handed. My proposal is a women's golf app that televises or broadcasts streams all their tournaments. Nope, we're gonna blow up all of our existing network deals and just go straight to a streaming service that is similar to like the WNBA League Pass. And maybe we still have a Cup Golf Plus. It's gonna be LPGA Tour Plus. And I don't no longer are people gonna have to worry about where you can watch it if it's gonna be tape delayed. I don't care if five thousand people are watching it or five million, but we're gonna have an app specifically dedicated for it. And if there is this infusion of fan interest into women's golf, I don't know how popular women's golf will be five years from now, but it's going to be set up and ready to capture that fan interest if it arrives. That is my platform, LPGA Tour Plus.
Speaker 1: All right. I like that idea and the and.
Speaker 2: The advantage of it is that LPGA Tour Commissioner Molly Mark Whusamon can say, well, yes, our ratings aren't that good, but there are millions of people watching on the app.
Speaker 1: Transparent reporting to could you partner with Caffeine not anymore?
Speaker 2: Caffeine TV could get some big deals in Australia and Spain with streaming services.
Speaker 1: I am going to propose that we beef up the LPGA Tour media team. I of all, like, there are a lot of things that I would like to address about the LPGA Tour course collection. A course selection would be my secondary platform.
Speaker 2: Schedule is a mess. Can you believe how bad the schedule is.
Speaker 1: It's a bad schedule, but like at the end of the day, they're showing they're not doing themselves any favors. Like I never go on like the Twitter or the Instagram and see, like, you know, tons of great shots being played like and I think like a lot of this is just like resource allocation, you know, like I would be dumping money into making our sport more visible and right now, the best way to free into you know, effectively at cost, effectively increase your invisibility is through social media. And I think their social media pages are leave a lot to be desired, and I think it's probably in a lot of ways just about not having enough people. So I would maybe look at, hey, can we reallocate one hundred thousand dollars here, one hundred thousand dollars here, and maybe double are our media team, amount of people and the resources they have, so that we can put our sport out in front of people as much as possible, so we can garner viral moments. Like I think like a lot of probably like great moments happen on the LPGA that could be Sports Center Top ten moments, but they just don't tell anybody that they happened. That we don't We don't know what happened because like a lot of times, they are never it's never shown. It's either shown on tape delays Joseph put suggested, or it's never clipped into social media or never was televised in the first part. So like my big thing would all be about visibility. Let's get our product out there as much as possible on these free, potentially viral channels in order to garner more fan interest.
Speaker 2: I could be with that. I mean, the PGA Tours and Media team now has its own palace.
Speaker 1: It sounds like I wouldn't do a deal where we rented office space and they're it's kind of like their their TV right steel they'll be exact to tack on. That could be another platform, like let's not align ourselves with the PGA Tour. That could be like another platform. We're going to do every everything the PGA Tour is doing. We're going to do the complete opposite, and you probably have a really good tour.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think that's the real opportunity for the LPGA Tour right now, is to define itself in opposition to the PGA Tour. That's an open lane, and I think it could be pretty fruitful, and I.
Speaker 1: Think they do it to a certain except with like the players. The players are so friendly, they're so welcoming, they're so excited about like playing golf. Like, right there, you have a diametrically opposed tour. Right you go to PGA Tour event, whether you're a fan or a member of the media, and you are you are just lucky to be gracing the player's presence, right you know, like you're just lucky, lucky that you might get to see to walk past one of them. The LPGA it's like, hey, how are you doing? And you're as a media member, You're like, wait, what, why are you asking me how I'm doing?
Speaker 2: It is almost a little bit confusing, but yeah, the why of LPGA Tour experience is fantastic and maybe That's another thing that could be built out a little bit, because going to LPGA Tour events is super fun. But I'm not sure that people talk about that that much, or that the events locally or are are really gaining traction in the way that they should.
Speaker 1: I think that I think they have just like a messaging issue in general about their product and what it is and how it is. Like they just they just in general do not they I don't think they have the resources to properly expose people to what their product is.
Speaker 2: It's bizarre too, because if there's one thing that money is being spent on right now, it is women's sports. Yeah, right, those sponsorships should not necessarily I'm not saying that it's as big of money as like the NFL is getting from the TV networks, obviously, but those sponsorships are not that hard to come by. And for some reason, the LPGA Tour right now is shedding sponsors rather than picking up sponsors. It sounds like Cognizant is maybe out. So there's something odd going on with the leadership of the LPGA Tour. I'm not sure what it is, but it feels oddly low energy at the moment.
Speaker 1: All right, final final platform or you know topic that we're going to batter around here. The golf course industry. This, this includes architecture, this includes agronomy. It's just all about golf courses. Garrett's already already crowbarred this topic into Grow the Game.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: It might have taken my platform here, but I'm gonna come up with a different one.
Speaker 2: I might have initially had that one for golf course industry but not been able to come up with anything for Grow the Game and maybe moved it.
Speaker 1: Joseph, what's your your initiative here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I Mine is for some central repository database. I would love to have all golf courses. But if it's just municipal golf courses, that's fine. If it's municipal public, that's great. But I want to store all of the original drawings of a golf course with the architects an explanation for the architect's vision for the golf course, so that years down the line, we're not looking back trying to scrape together drawings and understand if the architect who's hired to do the renovation is betraying the original vision. I want it all documented somewhere from one central source. If someone's hired to do a project on a municipal course, we're going to put what that cost and what the work was on it all in one location. Remove all the ambiguity around what the architect's original intent was and what the golf course looks like one hundred and fifty years later.
Speaker 1: Get that set up.
Speaker 3: It's not a day one initiative, but that's my second or third week on the job.
Speaker 2: This should be on the Friday dot Com.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it can be a private sector solution.
Speaker 2: Okay, my proposal, no green speeds above eleven on the stage.
Speaker 1: You just took a one.
Speaker 2: I knew it too. I knew this was going to be one of yours. I'm sorry. You know what I could have talked about, like bunker sand or something like that.
Speaker 1: But I know this is This is not the case in American politics. But we can have a similar stance on things.
Speaker 2: We can agree on things. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: This is politics can be this way where we can agree on right.
Speaker 2: You can elect either of us and we'll be happy for each other.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I won't.
Speaker 2: You won't go that far. I will.
Speaker 1: I will disassociate and start my own, my own country within within Friday.
Speaker 2: Friday Gastan, All right, well he'll be that.
Speaker 1: It'll be Frida Egg, you know, the Jefferson of Frida Egg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. I forgot about the state of Jefferson. Yeah, that's in my area of the country too. It's great, all right. Anyway, I found a great quote from Pete Die a couple of days ago for and put it in this design notebook that we just published in Club TFE, and I thought that Pete Dye said it really well. The great architects, Pete Dye, the guy behind TPC, Sawgrass, harbor Town, et cetera. He said, if greens are maintained at speeds over eleven feet on the stint meter, no architect in their right mind can build any contour or character into their greens. When you take contour out of the greens and speed them up, you only make the game easier for the average putting tour pro and harder for the club player. There is much more skill required in putting slower, undulating and grainy greens than there is in putting flat ones that are fast. So at some point we are going to have to figure out what we really want from our golf courses. Do we want interesting tests of skill with lots of character and perhaps a little grain on the greens, or do we want level but slick putting surfaces that only make the game less interesting. I think that puts it really well. By slowing down greens, you incentivize architects to do more interesting work. You incentivize clubs to maintain the character of their courses.
Speaker 1: I think, like the fascinating thing about this quote is the start of where he talks about, you know how it makes it easier for the average player and harder for the good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like that it's so true too, Right, if you want a tour to make a bunch of putts, give them a flat, smooth fast They're just gonna make everything from everywhere.
Speaker 1: Everything from everywhere. Meanwhile, when you slow it down, like what's the talking point at every Open championship. Oh, they're just struggling to get the speeds right. You know why, because they actually have to worry about a ball getting to the hole. They have to like, the idea of a ball coming up short is a realm of possibility. Right, So speed control actually becomes like a big thing. And I think like people get upset because like some people just lay it dead constantly, over and over again. You know what that is. That's someone with supreme speed control being rewarded. You know, somebody that hits the center of the putter face over and over again being rewarded. We saw perhaps Scottie Shuffler's worst putting performance this year at the Open Championship. He was awful on putts of like six feet eight feet And one thing that popped in my mind is like, oh, he actually has to hit the putt solid for the ball to stay on the line and go in the hole. I had one of my worst putting rounds of the year at a course called Wolf River Golf Park. They were perhaps the best greens that I put it on all year in terms of what we're talking about now. They were rock hard, so firm, and they rolled at about a nine maybe a ten, And I was when I had a wedge in my hand, I was like terrified about like thinking about, like I need to land this ninety two yards and if I land at ninety four, I'm probably gonna miss this section of the green that I need to get this wedge into But then when I got on the green, if I had six feet in the putt and the and you know a lot of the cups were on you know, slopes. I was really I was struggling that day with my stroke, was not hitting puts solidly, and I was missing everything. And I think about like that day as like, oh I putt it probably the worst I put it all year that day, And I think that a lot of it had to do with me actually having to hit puts solid that day and being just not stroking the ball well that day. So I just think that this is a it's just such a it's such an easy way to bring We're always trying to bring skill gap together. This is a great way to bring skill gap together. PJ. I'm gonna run slightly on the opposite.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna push back in that I do not think speed in and of itself is the culprit. Small green that's super fast, yes you can't do something interesting with it, but big greens can be fast. Like the point I want to push back on Garrett and Andy is being short sighted has to be a penalty, Like if if the greens are really slow, therefore short sighting yourself. You can still chip it really close. That's not going to lead to the best tests. I don't think speed is actually the culprit. I think Garrett, some of what you're mentioning with the lack of interesting strategic intrigue to the greens is the true culprit. And yes, speed, when you have small greens and you crank them up to fourteen, they can't be interesting. I'm with you on that, but I'm going to stand up a little bit for fast greens in certain instances like an Augusta.
Speaker 2: I think candidate Lamanya is too obsessed with what goes on in pro golf. This whole short sighting has to be a penalty kind of thing.
Speaker 1: You can prota.
Speaker 2: You can say if short sighting is, you can say short sighting yourself should be, can be. It can be a penalty due to architectural factors too. Right, Yes, you have slower greens and can actually build some till into that that's the key and pin them on the tilt. Then then you have kind of the same I'm with you on that. Okay, fine, we're we're agreeing now. Jesus, I was trying to get some controversy going. We need somebody to come in here and say I'm going to get rid of all the woke Greens.
Speaker 1: That's it. We should have brought in a party that was going to be diametrically opposed to the to the others.
Speaker 2: I think. I think one of the one of the main exponents of that philosophy has disappeared from from the Internet, so we weren't able to weren't able to manage it this time.
Speaker 1: Well, their identity could not be confirmed or denied either, So all right, PJ, who's who's your vote? Who's your vote for? For winner?
Speaker 2: PJ is going to have to sign it, yeah, do it an American sign language.
Speaker 1: That doesn't for this debate. I don't think he wants to make a vote the repercussions, so for those who can't hear.
Speaker 2: I think that was as far as the listeners heard.
Speaker 1: PJA enjoyed how cutthroat Garrett was with with his his policies, including you know, eliminating tournaments.
Speaker 2: So typical gen Z just wants to burn it all down, you know, doesn't doesn't recognize the value of institutions.
Speaker 1: So so Garrett has won this presidential debate, that doesn't I hope everybody enjoyed this lighthearted discussion. I think there are some substantial ideas in it as well. So all right, uh, let's kick it over to Rue McDonald. Uh to talk about cool links. All right, Before we get to Room McDonald and cool Links, let's talk about our partner, Stripe.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Stripe and us have worked together for a really long time. They are one of our first business products that we used. They've helped us really collect money for years, and they've never given us a headache. The great thing about Stripe, the impressive thing about Stripe is that they can work for us, a tiny business at the time, we installed Stripe into our website that allowed us to accept payments. It can work for us. It also works for massive, massive companies such as Alaska Airlines, Hurts, Postmates, I mean Postmates. You talk about Postmates, They're making there probably are millions of transactions today, Toyota, Zoom. So they they work with so many companies and they have so many different products. Like one of the great things about their product is they accept tons of payment methods, which helps reduce the amount of abandoned cards you have. They also have a billing product that works if you have like complex bill if it's usage based billing a subscription. For example, we use it for subscription. Uh it works really really well, So I would if you were going to want to check out Stripe. If you want to use Stripe, if you want to learn more about Stripe, go to stripe dot com. Thanks to Stripe. Now back to Rue McDonald and cool Links. All right, Rue, I'm excited to talk about cool Links. This is a development in northern Scotland, the Highlands. Tell us a little bit about the history of cool Links the land, you know, kind of how it's come to be as this somewhat I don't know if this is the right word, but embroiled topic in northern Scotland.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks Andy, And unfortunately it has become kind of a long saga, as I'm sure we're going to discuss. A lot of Scotland's coastline is heavily protected and this is probably one of the last genuine, incredible sites in Scotland that could be developed for Scottish golf. I think the future of Scottish links golf and developments into Scotland will be purchasing existing golf courses, but this would be a new golf course just two miles north of Dorroch. Honestly an incredible site. And I before I joined the DP World Tour, where I've been working for seven and a half years, I ran my own podcast. It was the scottis Golf Podcast. It was all about, you know, speaking to people that have been on golf trips to Scotland planning the next golf trip. And it was just a blog really in a podcast. And I went on the site of cool Links and I walked the site and I actually walked into literally walked into Mike Kaiser and at the time, you know, his right hand man in Scotland, Todd Warnick. That was the first development application for the golf course. Todd Warnick's an American. I think he's actually from Chicago and a successful businessman who loves Dornich and who has this incredible hotel with Doric and between the two of them, they were planning to build a golf course and have Bill Koor and Ben Crenshaw designed the golf course. And I think, you know, for every for all that Todd does for the community, he's very philanthropic. He puts a lot of money back into the town and developing things there and for whatever reason, the locals didn't take to another American coming into Dorak and trying to do something, and that a lot of pushback. It went through the courts and the courts, you know, despite public opinion being in favor of the golf course and the local council approving the application, it was eventually rejected on environmental grounds. So that's the short answer. That's where we are, and there's been a new project. Locals came together. They didn't want to turn away the opportunity to have a golf course there. So the locals got together, Communities for Cool and six local people, business people, people that worked around Dora and got together and they resurrected the project very much as a public a local project, still going to be backed by Mike Kiser, but you know, with very much the community in the spirit of resurrected it and they've got Really the first thing they did was put it to the local vote. They asked locals, do you want a golf course? And almost seventy percent of them voted in favor of a golf course. So they've they've got the application, resubmitted it past planning. It got the support of the local community. But unfortunately there's still some concerns around the environmental impact, which is is very small. We can go into it and it's going to be decided in a couple of weeks now in Scotland's sort of in the capital Edinburgh, where the national government will decide if the economic and social benefits of the golf course outweigh the minor environmental impact. Long answer to a very difficult subject matter what.
Speaker 1: Advantage? I guess it was presented by the locals presenting this rather than another wealthy American.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, there's there's literally a phrase. I mean, if you look into Scottish history, there's a phrase about, you know, the Highland clearances, and you've been to Scotland, you've been into sort of urban areas in the in the central belt we call it Edinburgh and Glasgow, where the population resides. The Highlands is barren. Highlands lacks job opportunities. If you have a young family, it's very hard to sort of find work there that can raise a young family. So a lot of locals leave Dork and leave the Highlands and move down to the south where the population is. And the strongest argument was, you know want to we want to keep population high in this part of the world or do you want to increase numbers. It was the most recent census saw an uptaking older people like moving to the Highlands as a retirement sort of thing as well. So that's the biggest thing, Like, you know, you know the power we all know the power of golf tourism and the money it brings and how do you retain you know, the population, how do you keep people in the area. And tourism in the Highlands of Scotland is a massive thing, and golf tourism's very, you know, a very affluent sector to be working in. So Royal Dorrick, you know, they have seventeen hundred overseas members at Royal Dornic. They do you know, twenty thousand visitor rounds. So there's there's already appetite in the area for great golf, great links golf. What cool can be is you know a visitor only addition to that, And anyone listening to this podcast knows about Bill Koor and Kaiser and the golf courses they get involved with. It's very difficult to maybe portray that to people that are not wanting to educate themselves. And the frustrating thing for me and the people involved in this project is the sort of lazy argument from the other side who just perceived golf to be one thing and we know that, you know, modern golf course designers is it is with minimal, minimal impact on the environment and trying to be is. Certainly Bill Kohr, I mean, you know that's more than me, Andy, but you know, talk to his golf course philosophy and how how little earth movement there is and with the environmental constraints here, this will be all This could arguably the most natural wings golf course built, certainly in this century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think obviously, and I think there's been some projects in Scotland that probably have have not been the best the best environmental steward over the last couple of decades, and that could potentially be some of the backlash. You know, Bill Corus obviously, you know, over his career been pretty sensitive to the environment and in terms of you know, searching out and seeking out to a tireless degree the most natural routing that he can find. Obviously, like sand Hills is a great example where they really only moved earth to build one green on on the entire site. I as you know, in terms of Scotland, what do you think cool Links would do to elevate the general area the Highlands as you spoke about, you know, in terms of economic impact, it's an area where most of the people that live there move away to work somewhere else and then it sounds like come back to it later in life when they are done working. What type of impact with cool Links have to the to the Highlands as a as a golf tour the market.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's such an important question of this whole argument I think. I you know, this is not a jive at you, but you know, the Americans perceive the Highlands to be, you know, everything from Aberdeen to Dornut, and it's such a long area, Like if I was to drive from Aberdeen to Dornut, it's going to take me three and a half hours on some interesting roads. When I met Mike Kailer and Todd Warnick that day and I was invited in to have a drink with them and discuss the project, I actually asked Mike Kailers, as somebody who loves Scottish golf tourism, is you know, are your successful resorts at Bannon June's good for Scottish golf tourism or is it taking people away? Are you going to band in June's and you know, thinking about, you know, having your golf fix, And you know, his answer is very much like if people play band in June's, they'll be inspired to come to Scotland. It's almost a flavor of it. And he told me that day that when he when he thought about creating Van and June's, he thinks of his time at Dornach and the bus loads of people arriving there and then leaving. And that is, unfortunately scenario that Dorak faces. People driving these mini buses and I heard today people nobody's taking a self drive shift stick now in Scotland, despite the you know the rumors, ninety five percent of some of these golf travel agents are sending people on golf buses and being driven around the country. But that's another point. Unfortunately, Dornick's like a a day visit and it genuinely means people show up there in the morning playing the golf, which is one of the best golf coaches in the world. And I'm sure one day we can enjoy that privilege together andy, But they then get on the bus and they drive off, they drive off to Mbness perhaps you know Tabot Highlands, which is you know, formerly Castle Stewart is one of my favorite places and it's great, but it's a long way away. It's over an hour's drive from Dornack and the economic impact of the golfer isn't really felt in the town. And Dornock's one of these great towns. We were lucky enough to be at the opening St Andrews in twenty twenty two and you get a sense of what a great golf town is. You were obviously recently in North Berrick and Gullan and they're great golf towns, and Dornucks another one, and I would really, you know, I really believe that in addition to that area of another top one hundred links golf course in the world would turn that into destination really And unfortunately those people that get to Dorac at the moment and get off the bus and back on the bus don't make time to go visit Brora. And Brora is famous for having the livestock roam the course and the Highland cows and the sheep that maintained the fair way just like golf used to be in the nineteen hundreds, and it's one of the best golf experiences anyone can experience. And a lot of Americans don't experience it in they you know, they're visiting Dornut and it's only thirty five or four minutes away. So that that is the impact that an additional golf course could have. It really would transform the area into a destination.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's the thing is is you just think of the logistics of a golf trip, right and if you get to an area and you know you're building your golf trip and there are two courses right there to play, you are you are most likely going to stay overnight. And I think the addition of a of a cool links would do that for Dornic. Especially like the way these things go, I've heard very few and I think like maybe this should be considered more often when people go to Scotland. Is like playing a golf course a second time. It's like usually when you start to figure it out and learn a lot about it. But it's hard to like pass up the opportunity of seeing six or seven to see three or four if you played, you know, to every everyone twice. And I think like the other aspect of this is like getting one tea time at Royal Dornik is tough enough, getting two, doesn't you know? That doesn't work for the economics of the town when you can only get one tea time, right, Like, there's there's more at play than just you know, hey, people just aren't staying. It's like they don't have a reason to stay, and that cool links would give them an additional reason to stay and and and potentially you know, really transform an area. That that is from what I understand, I haven't been one of the most you know, beautiful areas in the in the world. As you said, Broers there, Golspie's there. You know, there are there is enough good golf there. And I think like one of the things that an addition of a of a real you know, like I think like you know, there's there's great courses that people know about, like you know an elee a, but like there are there are courses that that draw greater interest and and you know, the Kaiser name, along with Bill Koorr, has the opportunity to pull in a greater appeal to an area and then all of a sudden you look at golspeak cool Links, Brara and Dornik and it becomes a potential two three nights day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's the frustrating thing. Like we know golf right and we are you know, part of the one percent that you know consume your content and love that. But you do have a great, a perfect recipe in Mike Kaiser, Bill Kourr, Dornuk, Scottish Highlands Links golf like it's a perfect cocktail. And unfortunately the opposition and the people that have been clever on the opposition, you know, they've dislabeled at golf. When I do believe if you did, you know, ten minutes of research about Mike Kaiser, ten minutes about Bill Kourr, you realize that these people care deeply for an environment. They they build golf courses with golf and great golf at the forefront. They don't build any of the other bs that goes around it. They they care for great you know, great golf, sandy soils like that is there. That's their footprint, right, And you know this more than me. And you've been lucky to be in Bill Courr's company like that guy deserves, you know, deserve you know, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but like his legacy would be fitting to have a great Links golf course in Scotland, which you think time is running out. You know, there's not many sites left and there's not many opportunities left, and you know, by all accounts, his routing is really exciting, it's very natural, it's conducive to the environment. I mean, the the environmental impact of the golf course is going to be less than one percent of the Triple s I And it's really going to be greens and tea boxes that are going to be maintained. And you know, even even you know, landing areas maybe being preserved by sheep initially just kind of help mitigate the fruit print and the damage done to the environmental areas. But I really don't think people understand like who you're dealing with here in terms of people that care for the environment. And I said this to you before we recorded, like golfers do love the environment, like I love being outdoors. That you love being out Gopher's very much part of the experience and the days of golfers not being that way I mean, I think, I don't know. I'd love to hear your thoughts from that. In terms of, like, you know, I think more and more golfers are enjoying, enjoying taking care of nature, and I feel obligated to enjoy the environment a bit more.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I mean, I think that's one of the I think it is probably with a lot of golfers a little bit more subliminal than upfront, but like, to me, like one of the most beautiful one of the things that I love most about golf, Like there's nothing I love more than a twilight round playing golf. Really, I love playing by myself a twilight around and just being alone in nature like and I think like the golf courses that I personally am kind of drawn to when I think about it, are often the ones that that blend in with nature the most, you know, and are are really that embody kind of the natural features that you would have encountered if you were just hiking the golf course. And I think, like that's you know, from all signs with this project. What's interesting is it's almost a constraint where they have to be so environmentally sensitive with their with the creation of the golf course that it could yield, you know, one of the most natural golf courses built in the modern era, which is a fascinating you know subject matter, right, like the idea of like building a golf course without disturbing the environment. And I think that there's been some some uh credit to golf actually being a wonderful way to stabilize dunes into preserved dunes because there's a aspect of the golf course that has inherent benefit an interest in preservation of the dunes land that these golf courses sit in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's a huge part of the argument here as well. I mean one person I haven't mentioned yet is Chris Haspell, who would be the course manager who helped build Castle Stewart with Gill Hans, who's built golf courses in Scandinavia and across Europe, you know, being environmentally conscious. This is a guy like Mike and like build build things and shape things. Don't build things, they do things very minimally. But yeah, I mean the current site as well, despite it being you know, classed as a triple S, I like the highest rating that you could have on a site. It's very purely maintained the Scottish government that managed this Nature scott They have dwindling budgets, you know. I know for a fact my father used to work for Nature scut weird enough and the budget that the Scottich government set aside to preserve sites like this have reduced and reduced and reduced to a point where the Scottish government are now encouraging private investment. And part of cool links is initiative here is to invest money into maintaining this site and getting rid of evasive species. I know Americans love gorse, but it's an evasive species. It overtakes the links, and there's there's trees on the site, there's other evasive species and it's falling into disrepair because nobody's putting any proper money into it. And the cool Links plan has, you know, investment into that. It has investment into public walking paths. The greatest thing about Scotland is you know, and they haven't been the right to rome everywhere and this this is it like it's not gonna be a gated community. This is They've got a beautiful beach as it is. You can go in any speech in Scotland and it's public and they are encouraging that. They're encouraging wildflowers and all that to thrive. So if it gets approved that there's a hearing in a couple of weeks time, it has the potential to be special. It has a potential to be inclusive. And that's what I love about Scotland is how inclusive Scottish golf is. And yeah, here's open because we know that people involved, you know, care deeply and you know Bill Kerr thing you've spoken to him. I've actually watched your content and Bill talking about this. Bill looks for these landmarks on the site and figures out ways to play around it and not interfere with it. I mean, make them, make them part of the player and experience, but don't ruin them that they're they're their interesting subject matters. And I don't think the opposition and people that look at golf negatively understand that kind of philosophy, which is super frustrating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I what in terms of if if this passes, what would be the POTENTI still timeline for uh playing golf there.
Speaker 4: I think it's quite quite quiet. I mean Chris Haspa would be the guy, and who we need to answer. But I mean, the plans are there, and the growing period in Scotland is you know, that's difficult, and we're seeing that with some other projects, you know, and I know that you're you know, you're quite close to things at Cabot Highlands and we have a short growing window in Scotland, so that would be a factor. But and there's no, there's not a great deal of work to be done. You're not moving you know, you're not moving thousands of tons of material. As we say, it's gonna be a very natural golf course. So I think you'd be looking at sort of two two and a half years sort of from now where you can look at getting something. And you know, I'm not too intimately aware of the Kaiser model in terms of you know, the the memberships that they hand out in these playing experiences that you can have, but I don't see why it wouldn't be you know, quite a short period really, given that we have a sh or growing season, but the actual build and again you're far more educated and what goes into building golf courses in the timelines, but you know, with with nature kind of not being interrupted too much, I don't see why it would take too long. Another thing to add theirs is also the fact that we mentioned these other golf courses too. That we didn't mention were ski Bow, which is kind of a links course there, it's a little bit, it's sort of limited play, but it's it's a links course, beautiful setting, the home of Madonna's famous marriage to Cheyritory. But that's not that through that put you off. And then then the news last week that Dornuk's second golf course, Destruy, is going on. There's some significant course improvements. So a lot of people don't realize that Donald's got a second golf course, but they do. It's not on the greatest pieces of land, but they've purchased new land and they have plans to improve that golf course. So I can't tell you how how much you know, investment in an opportunity there is here in Scotland. I don't think there's ever been greater demand for people to come to Scotland. And that's another case in this argument is to say, well does Scotland need another golf course? That's the opposition saying that, and again me and you know that, you know it's not Eddie golf courses that Bill Coo or Mike Kyser golf course and it's a Lynx course on incredible land. And I think dun Barney here in in Saint Andrew's, you know, opened up three years ago part of the true golf portfolio, and they're already seeing like huge numbers of golfers and they've only been open three years. So there's a huge demand for golf travel, as you know, Andy, and I don't see any scenario where this doesn't become an overnight success.
Speaker 1: Seems like everywhere is sold out, so it's uh, you know, I think I think like the big thing is it's probably the portion of Scotland that's the least traffic, the least discovered, and it's a you know, it even opens up presents an opportunity for a reason for a trip if Dornick isn't part of your itinerary, which is you know, I think that that's the thing that you know, you know, Castle Stewart or Cabot Highlands is going to attract a lot more uh visitors than in the future than in the past, and getting people to just a venture a little bit further north would be would be a huge win for the greater area. So UH we will follow this the story as it as it happens. Rue. Thank you for coming on and UH and and giving us the insights into what's going on with cool links.
Speaker 4: Cheers any thanks.
Speaker 1: Today's podcast was edited and produced by p J Clark PJ Big Thanks. He's he's off to Phoenix this week to see the Schwab Cup. It's gonna be fun. Thank you guys for listening. We'll be back later this week with I think we're into a new another golf architecture focused podcast, So we'll be back later this week and talk to you soon.