Speaker 1: The execution on the Donkey of the day is something you could hold for you.
Speaker 2: The reason they gave me donkey other day and I deserve that.
Speaker 1: You need to know.
Speaker 2: You need to tell them, I am you have the boy. Tell them it's time for Donkey of the day.
Speaker 3: It's a read.
Speaker 2: But you're so good at charlamage. You know what you want charlamage? Yeah, solo man who he's a dusk the other day? Soon then.
Speaker 3: Well donkey today for Thursday, March twenty. First goes to an elementary school named Connamhara Township. Cornamara Township is in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, and they recently had to apologize for an assignment bought home by a fifth grade student last week. Would you like to hear what that assignment was? Let's go to ABC seven News for the report.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 4: Township parents Kenneth and Sharon Poole tell us their daughter brought home an assignment last week instructing students to pretend to be a white master looking to buy a slave.
Speaker 1: So we got an assignment and our daughter's school workfolder slaves like a colored worksheet that indicated that it was titled Auctions Winnings to the highest bidder, and it was an assignment wherein the fifth graders were supposed to portray slave masters and identify, you know what qualifications they wanted in their slaves.
Speaker 5: The Pools say the assignment asked the students to draw and describe the living quarters as well as various scenarios that would occur on a plantation. They say their daughter lost points when she wrote she would treat the slaves nicely. In a statement to six News, the superintendent of Conowell Township Elementary School says the assignment was intended to help students to comprehend slavery, but a different approach should have been taken.
Speaker 4: The couple says they're relieved to hear the assignment has been pulled from the class, and they hope that other schools can learn from this reporting. Somerset County Bailey WOJIC six News.
Speaker 3: Let the record show that the Pools were white, and it warns my cold heart to see that they were discussed about this. I mean, you know, listen, the notion that all people are racist as asanine, but every now and then we have to be reminded that all white people aren't created equal equal, Okay, But that reminder goes out the window when you think to yourself, there was a fifth grade teacher out there who thought to themselves that it was okay to have an assignment where the fifth graders were supposed to portray slave masters and identify what qualifications they wanted in their slave.
Speaker 2: Also, how many kids completed.
Speaker 3: This assignment, how many parents sat at home with their kids, and when their kids said, Mommy, Daddy, what qualifications should I want in the slave?
Speaker 2: The parents helped them with it.
Speaker 3: Jesus, can you imagine, let's not get it twisted. Though many of the enslave were skilled laborers, and those skills were a vital part of the American economy. You have to think a lot of them arrived here with a wide range of traditional African crafts. So you had something that did weaving, wood carving, pottery making. You had somebody enslave that was skilled in rice cultivation.
Speaker 2: They had, you know, many a skill.
Speaker 3: But the fact that a little fifth grader potentially could be sitting around the table discussing with his parents the qualifications they are looking for in a slave in twenty twenty four, Jesus, I wish you bothers even more that the zoo said they contacted the teacher and principal, but they said that the school officials were initially unwilling to even remove the assignment.
Speaker 2: Are apologize.
Speaker 3: In fact, in a statement to six News, the superintendent of Collomar Township School District says the assignment was intended that helps students to comprehend slavery.
Speaker 2: What a different approach should have been taken?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about the approach the freedom, the approach to emancipation. They would never be an assignment in the school where someone said, hey, we wanted to help students comprehend the Holocaust, so we decided to do an assignment that tauch students how.
Speaker 2: To be Nazi's. Huh, wouldn't happen? Wouldn't be tolerated?
Speaker 3: Teach your superintendent, principal, janitors, all the princil shoppingers in.
Speaker 2: The classroom would be gone if that happened.
Speaker 3: Not to mention, we in an era where these kids might grow up and be cancelled for an assignment they participated in when they was ten.
Speaker 2: And these kids don't know no better, okay.
Speaker 3: In your adults clearly don't know any better, okay, So you're just simply teaching white supremacy. And why this is why the whole notion of waiting for racists to die isn't gonna work, because I read a quote once and that quote is real.
Speaker 2: They said, premacy, it's not a shark, it is the water.
Speaker 3: Please give Connamar Township in Somerset, Pennsylvania the biggest e hull. Now, Today's National col Parenting Day. It is and uh, you know, just just Hlaris's baby father room. That's right, her him and just have one of the best cold parenting situations I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: But it took a while to get there.
Speaker 3: It took a while for them to get there. It took a while for them to get there. And so when we come back, they will be here. That's right to discuss how they co parents, how it started, how they got to a place where they can co parent in the best way, and.
Speaker 2: We'll ask a bunch of questions. That's right, We'll do that when we come back, So don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Donkey of Today is sponsored by renowned personal injury attorney Michael the Bull Lamb is soft. Don't be a donkey when you need a fighter on your side. If you're ever injured, go to Michael to bull dot com. That's Michael to bull dot com. And when you mess with the bull, you get the horns.