Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Let's hi Am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi everybody today, I'm joined by the incredible Biff Jaeger known as Tom on Gilmore Girls to recap season two episode one, Sadie Sadie. Tom first appears in season two episode two, Hammers and Veils as a construction worker on the site that Rory is building homes for extracurricular activities is to get into Harvard. How you doing, Beff? Thanks for joining us?
Speaker 3: Going pretty good? How are you good?
Speaker 1: Good? Good, Sadie. Sadie continues right where the season one finale left off, and Laurel lies accepting Max Medina's marriage proposals. Have you watched this episode before or is this your first episode? Beff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched it before you, did you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: A little bit?
Speaker 1: All right, a lot? So this aired October nine, two thousand and one. Man, that's a long time ago. It's hard to even say that. Rory helps Laurel. I way Max's proposal with pros pro and contest, and they decorated stars Hollow with all the leftover daisies that he said. He said A thousand some people on my team say it's way more than a thousand, but I'm not counting it. Meanwhile, Laine is upset about being sent to Korea for the summer in a very very large suitcase that's actually larger than her. Directed by the one and only Amy Sherman Palladino and written by her twin sister, Amy Sherman Palladino. There has to be two of them. How can one person do all of this? Laurel I's engagement? Here we go. What'd you think of this romantic gesture? Biff was a little over the top of a thousand daisies.
Speaker 3: A thousand daisies. I don't think it could have been maybe more.
Speaker 1: It was quite a scene, wasn't it. It was quite a visual. I must say it was a very very powerful visual. Now she's got to come to a decision, and I kind of get the feeling her reaction to all those daisies was overwhelming. But I saw a glint of I don't know that she wasn't so sure, you know of anything right right exactly exactly, but in her body language, I kind of got that, oh boy, you know this is a little too much. Maybe so she's hesitant about her own decision but also sharing that, but also about sharing the news with with Luke. And then Luke asked us a series of questions about her future that really get Laura like thinking. And then interesting part about that scene and the reason I think think he was so cool about it, you know, absorbing that news was. I think he just had that conversation, same conversation that broke up his own relationship with Rachel. I think maybe they got into a back and forth about you know, all of the questions, you know, where are we going to live, you know, what's it going to look like, what you know, how's it going to affect your photography career, You're going to travel? You know, all this stuff, and then they maybe just realized that heck, he is ain't gonna work out. So I think because of that experience, he was cool under fire here. I just you know what I mean. And and maybe it's the one time that we're seeing Luke kind of fight for his territory, you know, like like get Max off, like get him out of there, you know somehow, And this is how he was doing it, because he doesn't really seem like that type of guy.
Speaker 3: But maybe well he's backing into it though, right, you know that's smart right right?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean what a what a what a smart way to.
Speaker 3: Doesn't want to show his feelings. He was going to back into it.
Speaker 1: To sabotage her relationship with Max. I was like, wow, this guy man, that's pretty sharp. Anyway, Eventually, Lorelei, you know, frantically seeds planted go look uh frantically calls Max about what their next steps should be. But she still says yes, yes, but she still says yes, And this is like, you know, she says yes now, but Luke I don't know. He's waiting. He's waiting for the blow up, all right. So later Loralai shares news of her engagement with Suki, which makes her very emotional. She's proud of the woman she has become lorel like that is, and the life she's lived. And then and Max calls Rory uh to ask about the rings, which I thought was a pretty pretty fun That was pretty funny. And this is why we love laurl I because she's just so much fun to watch. She takes the phone and she's playful, she's you know, makes jokes about everything. However, she is she does have some doubt. You know, she got that creeping down about getting getting married.
Speaker 3: Don't you think Luke pushed her into saying yes with his reaction?
Speaker 1: I do, okay, I think, you know, I think Luke knows what he's doing here, like force a quick yes and then get her to go like ah, yeah, you know, yeah. I never saw him that way, but in this scene I thought maybe there's a part of him that is you know, I don't want to use the word manipulative, but that's kind of what it is. But yeah, somewhat all's fair in love war, right, I mean exactly. It's like Max is a worthy adversary. He sees that he's got up his game, and I think he did all right, So you know, this is an interesting insight in here. It's an impulsive reaction her. Yes. It's maybe the thing that Luke was trying to get her to do is to be impulsive rather than you know, a fully confident decision, which would be you know, the death knell for Luke, right, that would be the end of that so brilliant storyline. And something I hadn't noticed the first time around, but it really stuck out to me this time is Luke's intentionality. All right, now we're now we're with Rory and Dean, and these two are are back, you know. He comes over and Laurelin Roy immediately start helping. He starts helping him out with chores around the house, the water bottle, the thing. Laura I says, I missed you. I'm glad you're back, you know. And then the faithful invite from Rory to Dean to come to Friday night dinner at the Gilmours, and he says, he says, why right. He hesitates, He's like, what do you I don't want to do that. So let me ask you this, Tom. How does Dean's return right and his immediate helpfelmust reflect his effort to be a more present and supportive boyfriend. Do you think he's trying too hard?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, Actually I don't think he's trying enough. I don't. I thought. I like the part where where they're in the house and Laurelai brings up the beer that was that was kind of fun, and he was starting to go along with that, but then he got nervous again and fro himself. I think, right, I don't think he's trying too hard. I think he's I think he was. I don't know. I think he was more in a moment, you know, just trying to go along with it, but not knowing really what the hell do you?
Speaker 1: Right? But he's probably a little gunshy, right he got rejected. Yeah, he really went over the top building her a car and all that and didn't get the I love you back and all that. But he yeah, yeah, now maybe he's he's back in, but it maybe he's going to be a little more circumspect, right. Yeah. So that's kind of how it seems different from season one to season two, and we'll see, we'll see how it develops. All right, here's Emily's reaction And what a great scene Suki calling Emily to plan a surprise engagement party for Laura l I, which is the first Emily has heard of this proposal and acceptance of the proposal. And I just thought, you know, it was just played so well. Kelly just does such a great job, and you can just see you feel her pain and she really you know, she stopped and it really gutted her, you know, and you could you could feel that and see that. So why did Laura I hesitate to tell Emily about the engagement.
Speaker 3: Well, I not to be a spoils work when it comes later when she tells her mother about in the next episode, actually, when she tells her mother about being disappointed in all the things her mother has done for her and she was afraid to tell her that you would be disappointed again in the way her mother reacted, right, And I felt that was I felt that in that scene. But it does drum lend the shows later.
Speaker 1: I think I feel that's fair. I feel that's fair given how Emily reacts to Laurel I and is constantly trying to get her to behave or to stop talking or or to stop making.
Speaker 4: Jokes or which is useless, right, right, And do we really feel that that.
Speaker 1: That Emily is being left out of Laurlized life? I mean that was intentional. Laurel I moved away, she cut off contact, and yeah, she was left out of the Laurelized life because of how they reacted to her pregnancy and how they reacted to you know, you know that in the sixth sixteen year old girl, I mean.
Speaker 3: Man without their parents' support. Yeah, I mean she's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. So Karmecy, you know what, right now, we have another storyline, Richard's interest in Rory's future. I'mously they are thrilled that Rory is in the top three of her class. That's quite an accomplishment. It's such a prestigious private school. Dean's over Richard asked past in questions to see if Dean has his future line? And what did you did that make you feel as uncomfortable as it made me feel?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, and I was supposed to a quizzing the grilling, not quizzing grilling my boyfriend. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think Richard had a right to do that? I mean, it's his house, it's his granddaughter depends.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of thoughts are so protective of daughters, and he didn't have his daughter to protect because she left, so he's taken on Rory's protected and I can kind of see it. But it does make me uncomfortable for sure.
Speaker 1: It was a tough scene to watch, It really was. And that's great Dean's pain.
Speaker 3: You feel Dean's pain, right.
Speaker 1: It really is quite extraordinary. Lane's rebellion. Here's another storyline Lane discovers. And I don't know how this fit into the episode so much, but it was really funny. She discovers her parents and ship bring her off to Korea for the summer, and a massive suitcase. It's it's it's a it's a five foot suitcase that could three people could have fit in that thing. And we see as we see the genial omer suitcase. Now, in terms of future aspiration, how does this contrast with Rory's storyline.
Speaker 3: Lanes Uh gee, I don't know. I think it's uh. I didn't think of that well. Her aspirations of of course, the stay in America. She didn't want to go back to Korea.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. She's getting a little cultural in Richmond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. My granddad Japan, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's it could be getting in touch with her roots. And I'm sure they have cousins over there and family over there. No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I feel she's more Americanized and doesn't really care about getting in touch with her roots at this age. Maybe older when she's older, but at this sage, I like I said, my granddaughter just went to Japan with her father and she loved it. And if if Lane was not, if she's born in America and lived in America all her life, and I could see something where she would want to go maybe explore it. But I think she came from Korea with her mother. I don't think she I didn't feel she wanted to go back. I mean, it's obvious she was reacting. She didn't want to go.
Speaker 1: Back, right, Well, she just met that henry Cho too.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course I didn't think of that, of course. Yes, that's one of the one of the one of the ways that Chard sides with Rory's line, of course, is because they both have boyfriends now and anything else disrupts their their love life, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a big deal at that age. Overall. What do you think of the episode?
Speaker 3: It's cute, like all of them. I mean, I get I haven't watched them all in a long time. I didn't go through it last year, all the seasons, but I don't know. I just think that the writing and acting and characterizations are just fantastic. It's just just a great show. My actually, my granddaughter going to Japan has been started watching this series about two years ago, and she's a love of them. My daughter was in love, so you know, it's a great thing for mothers and daughters to watch together, right series.
Speaker 1: And I think we now the seeds of doubt have been planted within Laurelai about her feeling truly joyful about receiving this ring, you know, the giant rock, the gold bend, the antique accents that it has perfect for her, right, but really is it?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is he the right guy? Is he the right guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess we're gonna find out. All right, here's some questions. Tommy, Ready, how did you first get the role of Tom offer audition? What?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And actually I read for Taylor first.
Speaker 1: Oh did you really?
Speaker 3: Yes? I did, and I'm so glad that he got it because nobody could do it as good as Ship. And then they called me back for this, which is supposed to be the one one off, you know, the episode, but evidently went into they wanted to keep Tomic hindaacting on which I was happy for.
Speaker 1: How many how many episodes did you expect to.
Speaker 3: Be in just that one? I thought it was just that one.
Speaker 1: And that turned into how many.
Speaker 3: Like three and a half years, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen episodes?
Speaker 1: Nice? What's your favorite tom moment or favorite line?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a bunch of them, but I don't know the exact phrase, something like oh, I'll tell her she's a two dollars hooker or something like that. But a lot of fans come up to me and tell me the lines, you know when I when I see them on the street, though.
Speaker 1: Recognize a lot to you do. Yeah, yeah, it seems to be picking up. I mean, it's like the show is getting more and more popular.
Speaker 3: Every Netflix is fantastic for us, you know, Yeah, that's great, more fans every.
Speaker 1: Year every year. If what was it like working with Laura and Scott Cohen? Uh and those construction scenes?
Speaker 3: It was fantastic, especially working with Laura. I mean, I love it. It fascinated me that that all you guys could learn all those lines so fast and speaking so fast, and I don't know, it's just something that uh, I wasn't that used to when I first went into it. You know, there's something really to work on for me. The construction seems are great. I mean, I especially building me in. I loved that, uh and the lions that Amy gave me. You know, we gave everybody, but she always seemed to give me a kind of a catch a line, which that's what the fans seem to love too.
Speaker 1: Any favorite moments from filming all of them.
Speaker 3: What can I say? I mean every time I worked on the on the set, I loved it. The crew and the cast, especially working with Lawns fantastic and working with you in a diner. I mean it was fun back and forth, you know. Yeah, enjoyed it a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get to say those lines and be in those situations. It's I don't know fans understand how special it was. I hope they. I hope they understand how special it was for us. Yeah, to be placed in those situations and be able to say those words, because it's not always like that, you know, No, it's not. I mean, and you really have to try to justify things, and you you want to rewrite your lines. You go to the director and say, hey, could I change this or that? And then you sort of like then people think you're a headache and the whole dale and it's like, but you're just trying to make it better, you know. But this this writing that was not necessary.
Speaker 3: It was fantastic. I haven't kept up with her too much. Is she doing another show?
Speaker 1: And she's doing a show called Ittoi, which is about ballet in New York and Paris? Yeah, because she you know, she grew up dancing, so she'sik's got a part in it. Yeah, me too. I'm ready to go. So you've worked on a lot of iconic shows. How does Gilmore Girls stack up and in your memory compared to all the other shows that you've done.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know, there's always there's only been a few that I really enjoyed working with people I enjoyed working proves. Amy is one on top of the list. Tim Burton was another, Alex Cox was another, and a lot of them I forgotten because a lot of my stuff was one day parts or a week here or something like that, and not continuous stuff. Even Gilmore Girls every eight ten episode or something. But it just stuck in my mind because it was so much fun to work with. Everybody was something fun and the writing. That's the thing I look for the most is the writing. It's something that's interesting to do and fun to do, and it sticks in my mind if it's not. I mean, I've done over one hundred shows one day here and there, and there and there, and I've forgotten most of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, pretty special gig. Gilmore was you played Bob and Bunheads another obviously, Amy Shrimp Paladino series. So what was that set? Like? Same as Gilmore, same vibe.
Speaker 3: Pretty much the same, I mean, and I think one of the episodes I did there was with Paris Lisa that was in I'm trying to remember now exactly what we did. But again that was the dialogue Quick Quick, Quick, which was fun to do. I don't know, I just working for am just working for her with her words.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, are you ready for rapid fire? Uh? Oh, there's another task? Really well on that, but here's another one. This is twice as hard.
Speaker 3: Ready all right?
Speaker 1: Coffee or tea?
Speaker 3: Coffee?
Speaker 1: How do you take your coffee black? With Honny Chiltern or Yale?
Speaker 3: Thomas Edison's right? What the hell?
Speaker 1: Team Dean Jess or Logan Dean? Why Dean?
Speaker 3: I think as I worked with him, I liked him.
Speaker 1: He's a good kid. Richard or Emily.
Speaker 3: Emily. I guess I'd have to say favorite season, Oh, second season of course where I started.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. One word to describe Gilmour Girls. Fantastic favorite character, Urla, most iconic Gilmore Girls quote.
Speaker 3: Oh god, mom, that's great.
Speaker 1: Who said that?
Speaker 3: Lie?
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess Luke's Diner or Friday night dinner. Oh looks Lukes Diner, Biff Jaeger, ladies and gentleman. So what are you up to now? What? What are you? What are you doing now?
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm I I found out last year I got a bad kidney, so I'm Monday Alice was three days a week, and from that I figured I better withdraw from the screen actors Jim, because nobody wants to hire at work three days a week.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's all right, It's just it just takes time, right, Okay. Besides, I'm getting too old for this stuff. You leave it to you young guys.
Speaker 1: You're staying right, sure. Yeah, I'm sixty six. Yeah what yeah? Are you kidding me? Oh you don't look eighty two. Oh my god, No, you're not. You are not. You're looking great.
Speaker 3: But twenty years to go though.
Speaker 1: There you go, the great talking to you feel better?
Speaker 3: Oh I feel great. I feel It just takes the time to go in there and sit in that chair for four.
Speaker 1: All right, good deal? If you anger everybody, Thank you so much, thanks for all the downloads, best fans on the planet, and we will see you next time for another episode, and remember where you lead, we will follow, Yes, stay safe, hey everybody, and hope forget. Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com