Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: On a windswept Thursday here in Frisco, Texas, it's time for another edition of mix Shots inside the SNC podcast studio. And thank goodness we're indoors because you can hear that Win whistling down the plane outside.
Speaker 3: Windy in here too. Always what's going on this cold.
Speaker 2: Let's fight through it.
Speaker 4: You hit the view, but fight through it. Here we go.
Speaker 2: We got football players on a football field, and from the sound of it, it's gonna be a real live football practice out there where they got pads on. There's gonna be some hitting going on.
Speaker 3: Ever, sing Bill, I think they're gonna take it inside, buddy, exactly. They got they got dummy flowing across the field there out there. They got practiced dummies rolling around out there.
Speaker 5: So Brian Schotteimer, he just did the press conference. He said, today's practice. Since they're in pats, he said it will be up tempo, juicy, energetic, there will be running and there will be hitting.
Speaker 6: You go, he said, juicy. Yeah, that sounds really.
Speaker 5: Really even there. The wind, I expect nothing less.
Speaker 7: That's exactly added that if we're going to start outside and see where it goes, I got a feeling it's going right inside once they get the team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: So they're saying that wind goes up to forty miles an.
Speaker 6: Hour, Well, I believe we won't have that on Sunday night.
Speaker 7: That's what he also wau. Then we have a nice dome to play, Yes, so there's no sense going out there and rooting an offensive practice.
Speaker 4: So this is the first.
Speaker 2: Practice since probably since the.
Speaker 4: Last time they played Philadelphia.
Speaker 7: Now, who was before Carolina?
Speaker 4: Was before Thanksgiving and then the week before that.
Speaker 7: I can't get rid of Giants, Giants. They might have got one in on the Giants, maybe because he.
Speaker 2: Knew they didn't need one for Carolina.
Speaker 7: Had to let up for Carolina. No, because it then I had a short week, right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, been a while, virtually a month, yeah.
Speaker 7: Probably, And he's only got two more left after today.
Speaker 4: They only get a certain number each year.
Speaker 7: And you can't save them all to the end either or at least that's the way it used to be, Like you couldn't save four for the last four weeks there was a cutoff date where he had to use up all due to the collective.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I've never watched US. I'm watching US right now.
Speaker 4: What are you watching?
Speaker 6: I'm watching us?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Did you realize we were streamed?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: I was trying to find some stats and this keeps popping up. I can't get rid of it, so.
Speaker 6: I'm like looking at it.
Speaker 2: You just realized that they actually have video of us.
Speaker 7: He can't see we can see you.
Speaker 6: Gone.
Speaker 3: She sits there and I gotta be over your shoulders looking at I have to edge up in the back all the time now because people are looking in the back of my head.
Speaker 2: But we did have a Brian Schottenheimer press conference today. We had a Dan Quinn one yesterday, and of course Mike McCarthy had the emergency app in deck to me that was successful yesterday afternoon. And understand, he returned home this morning and it's working from the house to day. Expected to return to the Star tomorrow.
Speaker 7: I expected him to be here today me too. I think I thought he'd be up in a window somewhere sitting watch.
Speaker 2: YEA from Afar. I wouldn't be surprised if they said, yeah, it was mid to late afternoon. I guess before he had the surgery yesterday, and I think they probably said, you know, what's he going to do if you're release him from the hospital tonight, what.
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 7: Probably right, he was going to head to the Star.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so if he's going to get he's going to get a good business.
Speaker 3: You know, I come to work and the next thing you know, I'm in the hospital. That's not That's not the way he wants.
Speaker 7: To So everybody checked their appendix today. We all don't have one. So you have something in common with Schottenneimer and.
Speaker 2: Shot Nimer told the story in this press conference which he also we take the Mike McCarthy show. It features Brian Schottenneimer this week. Now we didn't get into we didn't talk about his appendix on the show, but prior to the show, he told the story that he did with at the press conference, which was at age fourteen, he was doubled over in pain after a Cleveland Brown's playoff loss. So maybe the Ernest Byner I don't know if that was.
Speaker 6: It was he was the fumble.
Speaker 7: It was the fumble game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was it?
Speaker 3: And uh, why do you always make name name games after people's mistakes?
Speaker 7: Game we got the Everson Walls was a game.
Speaker 6: Everybody knows what you're talking about. Damn at Smith Games Smith.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, but he was doubled over in pain, and his parents thought when they came home, they thought he was just you know, reacting to the loss.
Speaker 6: Go on, tell me that's fourteen years old.
Speaker 7: Yeah, wow, that doesn't usually happen.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, so that's crazy.
Speaker 7: So he said his dad has to come home from a loss like that and then head right to the hospital to deal with doctors and nurses.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, the Browns lost. Do I have to be here?
Speaker 4: Well, he had time on his hand. The season was over. Yeah you all right?
Speaker 2: So what else did you get out of the Brian Schottenheimer press conference today.
Speaker 7: Well, it sounded like that he is one hundred percent optimistic or sure that MacArthur will be ready for the game on Sunday. He said everything that they've done so far is full steam ahead. They haven't been missing anything. He said, Mike's been involved still with everything from afire, they'll zoom probably today and yeah, he said that. You know the interesting thing though, is is he okay to stand on the sideline for three hours? I mean, you can call plays from the coaches box, by the way, and you're not close to the action either in case somebody runs into you and they don't have big doms standing there to protect him.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So, but other than yeah, that's right, because he's still is susceptible to injure.
Speaker 6: I mean on the sidelines, they do. I forgot about that.
Speaker 7: I mean, even though it's a scope, they do go into your right and so.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he did turn sixty earlier this month, right last month, and uh, you know at the age of sixty, it's harder to stand for three.
Speaker 6: Hours anytime, surgery or not, even if you.
Speaker 2: Haven't had surgery.
Speaker 5: Right, he'll probably be there, but it's you never know how people's recoveries are going to go. So, I mean he could be zooming in and he might be still in a little bit of pain or you know, hunched over on the sideline on Sunday.
Speaker 7: So, and it takes a little while to recover from the anesthesia too. It doesn't just you wake up and it's like, okay, but it's still kind of a little cloudy. And I thought the funny thing was and they asked him what kind of spirits he had. Did you talk to him and he goes, oh yeah, he goes, and you can't have a conversation with Mike two things will come up. Football in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 6: That's where it's from, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: So uh so, yeah, it's saying it seems like, okay, go you know, gotta as uh as Savannah pointed out, padded practice, Let's go, uh get going. The tempo should be good, spirit should be good.
Speaker 3: Last question just on that, is it considered major surgery.
Speaker 6: To Arthur?
Speaker 2: I assume and we haven't heard any details. I assume it was Arthur's copic surgery.
Speaker 7: Okay, but it's still it's not major to you, right, But the person that's getting the scope, it's major. Right. Anytime they put you out.
Speaker 3: That, they talked about guys that you know, like with the kidney donation stuff, they said, some guys went to work the next day after donating, and that's that's crazy.
Speaker 7: Not the person that got it. No, do you guys?
Speaker 6: You have the person that that gave it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they said. I was like, it's no way I could have done that. But guys have gone and now they only sat down to the desk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Still, you know, that's tough man, some people. Yeah, he wasn't a football player either. He was just a guy that went right back to what and that's crazy. So that's why. And I saw what happened plus sales. You know, I don't know how he felt. I don't recall, you know, how he talked on the sidelines or anything. But he seemed to be fine, said you that morning.
Speaker 7: Game that night Percell.
Speaker 6: Yes, his happen his appendecty. Yeah, back in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 7: You know, on the in the hard part is and I don't know if Mike's had surgeries before. You know, the first time they start explaining to you the anesthesia, it's like, ooh, this is serious.
Speaker 6: You're going under this, like, hey, you may not come back and you.
Speaker 7: Got no do sit that up to you right, It's like flying an airplayer, you know somebody.
Speaker 6: Like count down from ten okay ten nine?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just hoping your way up countdown for no reason at all.
Speaker 7: And I you know you probably went through and it's very sobering to me to think, you know, these guys go have surgeries all the time to six and we act like no big deal, right, but when it's to you, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was looking at Burrows on the sidelines and I was just thinking, like, you know, just another surgery the person has to go through, you know, because he had his arm and the slingk when when I was watching the game, and that's exactly what came my mind.
Speaker 6: Say you know this guy had to have surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you said, I think about the surgery that you had, Like hmm, yeah, it's it's it's the old that's sobering, very sobering.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So while we're on surgeries, can we move to injuries? Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, great informosts.
Speaker 5: Do we want to do Philly's injury report from.
Speaker 7: Yesterday because the Cowboys wasn't much great?
Speaker 5: So some notable ones for Philly's practice yesterday. Fletcher Cox, he was limited in practice age, Dallas Goddart with a forearm and injury had.
Speaker 7: Full so he had been reserved and so they're somewhat surprised how quickly he's coming.
Speaker 2: They Yes, we talked about it yesterday and it was Marquise Bell tackling and the stiff arm.
Speaker 5: Zach Cunningham the linebacker hamstring injury. He was limited in their practice yesterday and it was reported it was just a walk through. But still I think the notable one is Dallas.
Speaker 2: Cunning last week's game and they released the last Christian Ellis and uh and so Shack Leonard get an opportunity right off the bat.
Speaker 7: They didn't mess around.
Speaker 6: And see if he's ready, might as well.
Speaker 7: See that's why in hockey they never revealed the injury right upper and lower body.
Speaker 6: That's all they say.
Speaker 7: That's all they say. That's it. But in football it's like, okay, he's got a hand, Well we'll find out about that hand in the pile.
Speaker 6: So that's it.
Speaker 3: On in I love it how Savannah saved us from going down rabbit holes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're welcome back to football.
Speaker 6: That was pretty good.
Speaker 5: There's a few other guys. Jack Stole tight end, he was limited, Grant Calter he was full in practice. And then we had Julio Jones wide receiver, did not participate in.
Speaker 2: Played yes, and he played ten snaps last week and then he did because yeah he's had a few catches.
Speaker 5: Darius Lay he was on an IR rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a veteran rest.
Speaker 2: And the Cowboys and IR is not injury related rest.
Speaker 7: And the Cowboys basically were good except for having put McEwan on IR to make room for Peyton Hendershot, who I think they listed full, didn't they They.
Speaker 5: Did list is full for Peyton Hunter shot yesterday. Now, the one that I was surprised by yesterday was Rico Doubtele He was limited. So I chatted with him in the locker room yesterday a little bit and he told me he was limited and well, he said he was dealing with a little bit of the ankle injury still, so he just said that he didn't do too much yesterday. I don't know what their expectations are for today for him though.
Speaker 7: So he's been limited. I think for the this is like three games in a row and he's played. So Everson, they're just trying to get him to the game.
Speaker 2: What, Everson, what percentage of the roster do you think is limited in some way at this point this season?
Speaker 6: It's just a question.
Speaker 4: It's just a question.
Speaker 2: You make that injury reported if you miss some time in practice.
Speaker 6: Basically, that's when the coach asked you all. You hurt or you injured. That's when you got to make a decision.
Speaker 2: There's so many injuries quote unquote injuries that that players are dealing with that never make an injury report.
Speaker 7: Fracture ankle, just go ass hockey players. I would think after the first week of the season. There's always something that hurts. You just got to play through it.
Speaker 3: It's like playing basket. It's like playing football on the basketball court. Nice, yeah, because they don't there's nothing soft to land on. Everything is hard.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: When we were playing adult hockey, whatever equipment they gave me, I put it on.
Speaker 2: So they get ready to save us.
Speaker 4: So I'll save I'll save us from the.
Speaker 2: Hockey rabbit hole, and we'll be back with more mixed shots. In a moment.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: They snap of the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped, he'll look full pers down.
Speaker 4: Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 6: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school Pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest School. Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three. Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas, Demic.
Speaker 5: Shuts K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue on mixed shots, and I wish we would have gone down that hockey rabbit. We got a great story from Mickey there about his charity challenge on ice days with the ticket hockey against a women's hockey team that he doesn't.
Speaker 3: You're not They hit him in his char charity.
Speaker 7: I was I was actually thinking that was pretty good idea on their part. They knew where the soft part was.
Speaker 5: She didn't get a penalty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what happened to hooking?
Speaker 2: You know? Okay, Mickey, you've got a full legal pad.
Speaker 7: And I thought, uh. I enjoyed Schottenheimer's answer on when he was asked about c d uh and he and Dak hooking up on the deep ball, and I thought, Everson can jump on and jump in on this because I've heard him say this before. He said, Number one, it starts with the release. We talk about jumping out of your shoes, meaning you got to get off the lighter comage, right, And that's what you don't want as a cornerback, right.
Speaker 3: Well, most cornerbacks, depending on the defense, they'll give you a particular side, but then they'll just make it rough on you to get off.
Speaker 7: You see what I'm saying, Like, direct you the way they.
Speaker 3: The way they want you to go, chased on what the defense is. And I would less of the evils with the flex was always give up the outside short route, nothing inside. So most of the time we were shaving the inside shoulder and making sure that whatever they did, you do not get inside.
Speaker 6: That was our number one thing.
Speaker 3: The first drill that Gene Stalins put us through was backpedaling on the wide receiver inside shoulder that first drill, and he cursed me out on that first drill.
Speaker 7: You didn't get it done.
Speaker 6: I did it right, ran another out.
Speaker 3: We're not facting on that coach with facts on out roundes, not out and up. This guy was on his own. But I think I think Gene did that to me just to write. You know, somebody's got to make an example.
Speaker 7: So what he was pointing, and then what he was pointing out is that the CD does a good job of holding the red line. So they've got that red line out there, and they don't want you guessing the receiver inside the red line because then you don't give quarterback anywhere to throw them all.
Speaker 3: The shelder exactly over the outside shoulder, that's exactly right and away from the safety.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: You want to make sure and keep it away from the safety if you can. Even if you have it too deep, if he gets off, well, you can still hit it in the hole.
Speaker 7: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: You can still hit it in the little hole right there, So you can still do it even if there is a cover too, and he can still make it.
Speaker 6: In that little slot.
Speaker 7: Well, that leads me into little research I did last night on ce d Lamb ninety catches for eleven and eighty two yards so far, and I'm going he's still got five games to play crazy a lot, So I factored it out over seventeen games. Now he's on pace for one hundred and twenty seven catches. Now, I don't know that he'll continue on that pace, but Michael Irvin's single season franchise record is one hundred and eleven that he's set in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 6: That's going down.
Speaker 7: Witton had one hundred and ten in twenty twelve and then CD last year. I don't even know if we realized this. He's third now with one oh seven. But he's on pace for one hundred and twenty seven.
Speaker 2: And we did it last month, a few weeks ago. We did the math from that point last year to that point this year, and he was right around on hundred and twenty five, hundred and thirty catches over that his last seventeen games basically, yeah, and so now we're looking at it in a real season.
Speaker 4: Seventeen games, he's on that pace.
Speaker 2: One hundred and twenty seven recepts.
Speaker 7: And then the pace for single season yards receiving. So he's got eleven eighty two. Right now he's on pace for one thousand, six hundred and seventy four. Michael Irvin's record single season nineteen ninety five was both written receptions and yards. Michael had one thousand, six hundred and three yards. And the funny thing, well not funny, sixteen games, sixteen games, and the amazing thing is the top three receiving yards in Cowboy history. It's all Michael Irvin. He had nineteen ninety one fifteen twenty three, and that would have been his first full season after tearing his ACL. He came back in ninety but he missed the first half of the season before he got back. And then in nineteen ninety two he had one thousand, three hundred and ninety six yards. So no other receivers, including the two that are in the Hall.
Speaker 3: Of Fame and come close to what Michael Hey, let's know you balk loud enough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, somebody's going to throw you the ball.
Speaker 2: Fit well, And it's also different. It was it was a game compared to the seventies and early.
Speaker 7: Actually even the eighties too, right with Drew and Tony Hill.
Speaker 5: He'll break it. There's I mean, it's definitely going down. It's CD. He he knows what he's doing out there.
Speaker 7: So and I thought it was interesting. Somebody finally asked about Shottenheimer about the deep ball, But I like the jumping out of your shoes at the store.
Speaker 3: Well, if you see how he does it, there's that that hesitation. You know, he almost when he does a little hop right before he makes his move, he's trying to see exactly what that dB is gonna gonna fame.
Speaker 6: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: If he if he hops, then he makes the dB commit first. Yeah, And that the dB commits first, then he can pick.
Speaker 6: Away to go.
Speaker 3: Now he can know where to go the way I see him doing his release.
Speaker 6: Now go back to Hall Knox.
Speaker 3: And when Amari Cooper was showing him how to get off the line.
Speaker 7: Of scrimmage, did you you remember that, Yes.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what he's doing right now. Amari said, pick a shoulder. Because the CD's thing was he kept going straight after at.
Speaker 7: The dB and then making his life trying to him, well go or into him.
Speaker 6: He gave him.
Speaker 3: He gave too much of himself. Uh huh, you gave him your entire body, See, Omari told him. You pick a shoulder, and when you pick that shoulder, that's when you start working the working the defensive back. And that's exactly what he's doing. He was open last week, but Dak had already thrown the ball on the fade. He was wide open, and what he did was he attacked the DB's outside shoulder and the dB didn't react and he kept moving.
Speaker 6: So if the dB reacts, he might come back inside. You see.
Speaker 3: So it just depends on what the defensive back does and what the defense is. If he knows he's man the man with no help, then CD can at least any way he wants. No one's going to give the dB help, right. He has to do is get on top of him and get the leverage.
Speaker 2: And think about CD. He's done this ever since he was in well, yeah, probably.
Speaker 4: In youth football pop in Houston, that's right. I mean, I was just.
Speaker 2: Looking back when he was in high school. He had his senior year in high school, he had ninety eight catches for two thousand and thirty two yards and thirty three touchdown. Ninety eight catches, so it would have been if they lost in the state semi finals, so they were probably a fourteen or fifteen game series Houston. Now he's originally from New Orleans, but they moved to Houston, and it's Foster High School, Richmond, Texas in the Houston area moved.
Speaker 7: When Attrina, Yeah, it was him, the linebacker from Oklahoma Murray, Yes, and I think it was Delpit.
Speaker 4: Okay, Grant Delpit safety at LSU.
Speaker 7: All those grounds moved together and they were all I've read this because I was looking at Murray. They were all on the same like Pop Warner team in Houston. Wow, undefeated, no one could beat him.
Speaker 2: So then carry it forward into college for CD Okay, he had Baker Mayfield throwing to him his first year, forty six catches at only eight hundred and seven yards. It was only a school freshman record seven touchdowns. Then he had Kyler Murray throwing to him his second year and he had sixty five catches eleven and fifty eight yards and eleven touchdowns. And then he had Jalen Hurts throwing to him his third year and it was sixty two catches, thirteen and twenty seven yards, fourteen touchdown. He'd been doing this forever, so none of this should come as a surprise.
Speaker 7: Right, and I'm sure for him he was always thinking, well, everybody's like, can you do more? And he goes, oh, yeah, I can do.
Speaker 2: More well, and hey, how about along those lines, I mentioned Schottenheimer filled in for McCarthy on the Coaches Show today and so we were talking about CD. I just asked him, how fun is it putting the game plan together each week for CD, LAMB and.
Speaker 6: Just for C. Well, that's what's basically.
Speaker 2: Right, and so shot Enneimer brought it up himself, said, Okay, everybody knows that he came to us earlier in the season, and you know he wanted the ball. And the beautiful thing about CD is that you go out on that practice field and yeah, he wants the ball and he does something about getting the ball in his The intention with which he goes about everything that he does is remarkable.
Speaker 3: And even with what he does, even with how he came out and what we expected from him, that just lets you know how tough this game is because he still had to make some serious adjustments. Was it last year you know he was you know, really wasn't as aggressive as he wanted them to be early in the season, and then the second half of the season he showed us the cen that we see now and even with that changing offensive coordinator, and he feels like he's getting shafted and he's like, nah, I want to continue what I was doing the second half of last year.
Speaker 6: I'm sure that's what was on his mind.
Speaker 7: And I thought Schottenheimer they was talking about the passing game, and they asked him something about the last Philadelphia game, the game that Dak had, and Schottenheuer basically said, well, first open receiver gets the ball, he goes. It's not planned out that that's going there. Right, first open receiver gets the ball, And that's when he talked about watch Dak's feet because ideally, he said, you want the quarterback to hit his back foot and he can see the first guy and he can see the second guy, and if it's not open, then he said, watch his feet because he's probably going to extend the play. And then it's who scrambled drill right who can get open? But you're not sitting there one, two, three, four right first two and then after that, let's go.
Speaker 3: Chris Collinsworth pointed that out in one of the early games, about his footwork and almost spoke of it the same way you did, and it was illustrated on one of the Monday night football games, Sunday Night Football games.
Speaker 7: Uh so we're becoming offensive experts here and we get that, we get we get Everson to qualify what we're thinking or correct us one of the two.
Speaker 3: I tell you what I'm qualifying right now. You were talking about these dbs. Al Harris needs to get some love.
Speaker 7: Did you hear Did you hear Quinn yesterday?
Speaker 6: No? I did not.
Speaker 7: Oh he went on and on about Al Harris.
Speaker 3: Excellent, excellent, because I did an interview this morning with Sir Roy with Mike and he brought up Al's name and I was I was remissing, like, man, I should have brought up his name, and I never have brought up his name even on this podcast, about what a great job he's doing our interception totals.
Speaker 6: I used to fuss all the time about us not getting picks. It just used to just get on my nerves.
Speaker 3: And now all of a sudden, here this guy comes and.
Speaker 2: We are especially when one guy's got eight, you got one with eleven, eight with five?
Speaker 6: Go now and then that's another thing.
Speaker 7: Can he get four?
Speaker 6: He should have had nine?
Speaker 7: I don't because.
Speaker 6: So that may have done it right there.
Speaker 3: That may doom him for you know, he might be stuck at the leven with me and Traypon.
Speaker 7: So I was just trying to get the stuff accurate. When he was talking about uh, yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm so we're going to go for accuracy now, yes, absolutely, hold up the show.
Speaker 6: Sorry, we got a little parse here.
Speaker 2: We're going to try to for once be accurate.
Speaker 7: When I'm doing a quote. And he and he basically was he was asked. He brought up Al Harrison on his own and the work he's done with the young and think about it with Diggs. Okay, now you've got Droan Bland a fifth round. That's not Jordan Lewis making plays. And if you think about it, go back a couple of years ago, probably the best seasons Anthony Brown had two after Al Harris got here. He said, if I was playing that position, I'm calling Al Harris and say teach me. And he goes in, what better guy to teach you? That has been coaching now in the NFL. This is his tenth year and has two Pro Bowls to all Pro seasons, so he's been through it all. He has all you got to do is listen.
Speaker 6: On the championship teams.
Speaker 7: And he went on and on about how much he's meant to this defense.
Speaker 3: Well, my daughter thinks he's cute, so he's.
Speaker 7: Fun to talk to. I know that.
Speaker 2: Where do you go to college, Oh, Kingsville, the same as Darryl Green. Phil called Daryl Green.
Speaker 4: It was Texas A and I.
Speaker 7: Back then, and he played fifteen years in the league.
Speaker 2: Dang sick and he was a sixth round draft pick in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 7: So you can find cornerbacks on every any corner.
Speaker 6: That's what Gil Brand says.
Speaker 3: Yes, any gas station, Thank you racist, Gil, appreciate your love.
Speaker 6: Best in peace moment.
Speaker 7: It's like it's like ourselves, ourselves would say in the middle of the season when somebody says, well it looks like you need another running back or whatever, he goes, yeah, And you don't just go down to the Texaco and get one.
Speaker 2: You do all right back with more mixed shots, some shots just to morrow.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. More than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor. Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can cracks, a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swager, Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three MILIBERWN Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 8: I'm Dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 9: Snapper the Presscott who looks right, it's not there? He escape slap. You'll love full firstyle.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prus Scot's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 6: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 7: To mixed shots.
Speaker 5: NFL Pro Bowl Games are taking over Orlando, and the roster is up to you. Cast your ballot for the twenty twenty four Pro Bowl Games. Vote and send your favorite Cowboys players to compete in the Ultimate AFC Versus NFC showdown this February. Vote now at Pro Bowl dot Com slash vote.
Speaker 7: Apparently the Cowboy fan is out there voting. They've got like six guys leading.
Speaker 4: I didn't see the early voting.
Speaker 2: It just came out yesterday.
Speaker 5: So I have a couple of them.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 5: For wide receiver, Cede Lamb is second, right now, Tyreek Hill is number one.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll give him that.
Speaker 7: We can live with that.
Speaker 5: For cornerback number one, Deron Blant, Yeah, you go, shout out Al Harris as we were just talking about that. Let's see for quarterback, Dak Prescott number three.
Speaker 4: Who's one and two.
Speaker 5: Tua is number one, se Stroud number two, and Brock outside linebacker is number one, t J. Watt and number two Michael Parsons. So that's that's the.
Speaker 6: Four I have.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 3: They have Dak behind CJ.
Speaker 4: Yeah two, and CJ.
Speaker 5: Brock is number six on that list. So there's ten. There's ten players for each category.
Speaker 7: Also, I think I read where Zach Martin was leading at guard ah and there was there was six of them that were the head of their position, but Zach Martin was was listed. Oh An Aubrey, the kicker.
Speaker 4: Who's made how many in a row?
Speaker 6: Now, twenty six in a row, wasn't there.
Speaker 5: I don't have the rest of the.
Speaker 7: It was on what I read this morning.
Speaker 5: It was this is the voting leaders.
Speaker 2: By the way, there was much talk in the preseason and off season about the Cowboys kicking situation, and this name was brought up quite a bit that why don't they go sign this guy? Well he just this guy just retired Robbie Gold.
Speaker 7: Oh he did.
Speaker 2: He did retire this morning or yesterday.
Speaker 7: And no one really signed him, did they?
Speaker 4: No, No, he wouldn't picked up.
Speaker 7: But well, one of the reasons we got to be able to kick off. We got to kick off, which, by the way, I was just wondering about this and I finally found the stat. Aubrey has seventy nine kickoffs. Seventy six of them are touchbacks. There's so few. When I was talking to him, he knew the games that there was a return and it was only three of them. So think about this, he's got he had thirty nine extra points, thirty six for thirty nine, twenty six field goals, and seventy nine kickoffs, so he's kicked the ball one hundred and forty four times with five games to go. Which is a lot. And I was at I said, I did it very delicately. I just want to come out. You got a tired leg.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I didn't say that. I said, but you have to be careful. You've kicked a lot. Not to mention however many games he played in the USFL. I think it was ten regular season and maybe two playoffs, and he says, well, I don't practice kickoffs anymore during the week, And it sounded like Fossil was suggesting they cut back on just how much he practices because they have to. They got to keep an eye on it. Right's going a lot of points, right, Well that's what happened. So you got to kick extra points and you got to kick off, right. So anyway, we brought him up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've got the complete list on the Pro Bow. Brandon Aubrey is number one amongst kickers in the.
Speaker 4: Pro Bowl voting.
Speaker 6: Tell the stuff.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Tyring is third amongst tackles, behind Trent Williams and Lane Johnson and guards. You mentioned Zach Martin and I just lost the list. Why would't they put the tackles next to the guards? I mean, what kind of list, is a guard is number one, Tyler Smith is number four. That's what I wanted to find out. Tyler is number four.
Speaker 7: And this is just fan voting at this fan voting, So technically.
Speaker 2: Zach Martin and Tyler Smith, both in the top four, would both be to starting guards on the Pro Bowl team.
Speaker 7: And think about it.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys, that's fine where they put center on this list. Probably Kelsey's number one and Beyondish's number six on the list.
Speaker 7: Well, he was high enough last year to be altered as a replacement alternate.
Speaker 3: So you think you get a lot more replacements because it's in Orlando.
Speaker 2: And the fact that they don't play anymore, do.
Speaker 7: They, it's gonna be like it's gonna be fewer.
Speaker 2: Replacement there's fewer replacements. Yeah, and so there won't be as many people making the Pro Bowl team now that they don't play a game.
Speaker 7: And it's less expensive to bring your family with you. It's that instead of going to Hawaii, right, you would.
Speaker 6: Hope they don't play in that game. Let's just be honest with you.
Speaker 7: Well, but they can get the recognition, right.
Speaker 6: We don't want them to play in the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, we understand. Chris let's move on. We got it, we got it. Playing in the game is that doesn't mean anything, especially when it comes to if people have bonuses.
Speaker 2: Right, you know why Chris was saying that, right, Yes, Okay, I don't because we want to play in a game in Las Vegas. It's called this Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Nice, good job.
Speaker 7: Well you know what? That was the answer I got from DeMarcus Lawrence yesterday when he got done with his Man of the Year nomination. Each team nominates one guy. I said something to him. I said, we were talking about playing the run, I said, And that stuff usually never stands out. I said, but it should for the Pro Bowl voting. And he goes, yeah, he goes, you know, I don't worry about that. I've been to it, he goes. He goes, the only Bowl I'm worrying about is the Super bowling out. But we talked about playing the run, and he basically pointed out, well, he goes, I play real football.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 7: He's so just a few words, right, but you got to play the run. And he and he talked about how it's improved his game by them moving him around in different spots, so now they can't focus on well, this is all you know I got or no, he said, he can focus on different things. Because if you're playing always left defensive end, your toolbox is how do I win here? But when they put you in the middle or the other side, you got to change things up.
Speaker 4: Why didn't teams think of this before?
Speaker 2: They didn't really do it, did they? But Parcels was set in his three four defense. You line up and it's a certain body type and so forth.
Speaker 7: Charles Haley never moved flex y you know flex Yeah, Toota was always right next to him. Charles was on the left and Tony Tolbert was on the right.
Speaker 2: They never because football has changed so much in the short passing game. And I mean that's the that's why Markus Bell can play linebacker.
Speaker 3: Well, it seems like everyone seemed they seemed to be so impressed with someone they can play left hand right side. And we talked about it last year. I didn't think it was a big deal. You know, one tackle versus the other offensive tackle. Right, that's that was a big deal for us last year having time in play both sides, and it was a little bit difficult for him.
Speaker 2: So but I'm talking like defensively you just line up their defensive guys where they can come from all any you don't know where they're gonna come from.
Speaker 3: But for some reason they don't think that they can play both sides. Yeah, I don't know why that is. I mean even with cornerbacks that was a kind of taboo. Then guys started doing it and you know, next thing, you knows, what's the big deal. I just never thought that it should make a difference.
Speaker 7: Because there was always a big deal about what was he going to follow some wide receiver And it's like, well, we don't follow, we play sides.
Speaker 2: I know that, right, But this is just like, for instance, the hybrid linebackers where Marque's Bell at two hundred and fifteen two hundred and twenty pounds can play linebacker every snap on defense.
Speaker 6: Basically.
Speaker 3: Now that that is that's different. Yeah, that is something that's different from even that from.
Speaker 6: Five years ago. I remember it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of my favorite guys in the draft, who's a kid from Florida State, Telvin Smith, who I mean I just love watching his tape from Florida State, which was twenty fourteen whatever. He wound up being a fifth round draft pick, but he played at Jacksonville and played well. I think he may have made the Pro Bowl one year and had some off the field stuff, but he was two hundred and fifteen pounds basically, and so he was you could not draft him even in the third round because he's just too small to play inside linebacker in this league.
Speaker 6: Whatever.
Speaker 2: But he's made for this this brand of football.
Speaker 7: Never too small anymore, right, Cavante Turpin, by the way, I read into rocket Ishmael before the press conference, right, and we started talking about returns and how special teams seems to specially returns has been two hours later, Yeah, yeah, right, that's the way you talked. I had to stop Rockets because Schottenheimer came in and I go, I gotta go.
Speaker 6: He's probably still talking.
Speaker 7: He was, he was, He said, oh, I was on to Turpin a long time ago. He said my son played with him at TCU, and he said, I knew this kid had something special. And so we started talking about kickoff returns and punt returns and I had looked up kickoff returns, right, and so they had it NFC. But usually it says NFC, NFL. Well it only said NFC, and there was only like a couple guys on there right a f C. There were no punt returners listed. I don't know if they didn't have any or there wasn't enough to qualify. And then you know, we were talking about it and his ability to return punts, kickoffs. We don't get kickoffs anymore but punts, and he said, oh, yeah, I know, because they think he had I think he has eleven and twelve games punt returns. I think that's what I saw. And yeah, and Rocket goes, oh when I saw this guy, he goes, he's got He said, he's got this unique ability not only the speed, but to read where the blocks are.
Speaker 3: That's what he's got. Yeah, that's what he's got. And he's not just out there running fast.
Speaker 7: My favorite guy, right, And so yeah, the.
Speaker 6: Return, Rocket, he knows exactly what its like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because he was talking about how much they were worked on returns before. Uh he said, especially at Notre Dame. But now it's like, okay, you might get a you know, here's what's going to happen Sunday night. The ninety thousand people are going to be standing waving their towels for the opening kickoff, right, and then it's going to be a touchback. It's like just taking a balloon and pop it, right, But that's kind of what they're doing to, you know, make sure guys are safe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, damn it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the Pro Bowl voting for return specialist, Cavante Turpin is number four on the list, behind who Rashi Shaheed of the Saints is number one, Keishaan Nixon of the Packers is number two, and Braxton Barrios of the Dolphins is number three.
Speaker 7: I bet you the first two guys have returns for touchdown probably yep. That always helps out needs.
Speaker 2: Turpin needs to take one to the house that doesn't get called back, right.
Speaker 3: That's the point.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, that's right.
Speaker 4: Well, he won.
Speaker 2: He got on the He was a Pro Bowler last year based on two returns for touchdowns in the preseason.
Speaker 6: Basically it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, he had a good average, but he didn't take one to the house in the regular season.
Speaker 7: So he's got eleven punt returns, seventeen fair catches, seventy three yards so six ' six a return, and then on he's only had six kickoff returns. He's averaging thirty one point seven thanks to those sixty three Yarders.
Speaker 2: Sunday night would be a perfect time for her to take one back to the house, just like Kelvin Martin did against the Philadelphia nineteen ninety one when the Cowboys won the division in Philadelphia on a cold, wintry day in December.
Speaker 7: We had a good, uh good discussion on Philadelphia last night on crosstalk uh Nate Newton, and the special guest was Jim Jeff oh yeah, and Jeff Coke. Jeff Coat. I've never seen Jeff Coat like this before. He grew up in Jersey. Yes, I always hated Philadelphia and going what and he goes Yeah. I always hated him, and then I hated him worse when we had to play him. It was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're out of time on this edition of Mixed Shots, and tomorrow will be a fabulous football fight song Friday edition to beat Philly.
Speaker 7: Edition Stampede at you all right?
Speaker 2: I see it at noon on Friday.
Speaker 6: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.