Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack. Tonight's win for the Diamondbacks was maybe not quite as emphatic as what we've seen the past couple of days.
Speaker 2: But it is a win. Nonetheless.
Speaker 1: They win a big game over the Washington Nationals by a final score of three to two. Jack Eduardo Rodriguez was excellent when it mattered most, Gabrielle Moreno had another great game, and the Diamondbacks just keep on rolling.
Speaker 3: Tory Lavello said that this was going to be a really gritty road trip, and you know, certainly it was a very gritty win tonight. It was not an easy win to capture the geaked by they got it, and you know, this is really a necessary win for them, not only for the standings and all of that, but also for keeping the momentum going, putting the pressure on Mike Hazen, which we'll talk about a little bit, to be more aggressive at the trade deadline. So all the way around, you know, just an important win. Also, they got a tough pitching matchup tomorrow, so you know they got to try to win this series for sure, and you know, put the put the Nationals in the rearview mirror.
Speaker 1: I guess I'll start with Eduardo Rodriguez and kind of breaking this one down. Just typically Rod start right, I mean, six innings, two runs, and what really stood out most, as is often the case, is his ability to just bear down and make pitches when he really needs to. Right off the bat in the bottom of the first inning, James Wood hits a single under Shaparro former Diamondback or former Diamondbacks farm hand make hits a one out double, so you've got second and third, one out.
Speaker 2: CJ.
Speaker 1: Abrams then strikes out on one of the biggest pitches that e Rod made the entire game. It was a change up down below the zone and an Abrams whift. He got Dylan Cruz to fly out to end the threat there. And then in the bottom of the sixth, a very unfortunate situation on the defensive side of the ball to tell Marte and Corbyn Carroll miscommunicate on a lazy pop fly it's set up a first and second nobody out situation. Jacob Young lays down a bunt, moves those guys up to second and third, and you know, at that point it's a two to two game. You kind of figure like, all right, here's where the Nationals pull out ahead. But once again, Eduardo Rodriguez dials up a strikeout when he needs it. He gets Harry Ford to strike out there. He did walk Luis Garcia after that with first base open, but then he gets the seam Nuniaz to ground down to end the threat. I texted you earlier, Jack that I think Eduardo Rodriguez's twenty twenty six season with runners in scoring position, I think it needs to be studied by scientists because this is outrageous what we are seeing. He entered today with a one forty one opponent batting average with runners in scoring position, and that only got lower after this game.
Speaker 3: We often get so caught up in regression to the mean and what's expected verus what's not, and we know that eventually things do tend to even out. But the other aspect of this is sometimes athletes are just in the zone. They don't stay in the zone forever. And I think that's a very different way to describe what we see sometimes as opposed to the regression. To the mean. We've all played some sports, We've all watched sports, and you see players perform in certain situations where they are locked in, they are dialed in. And in this case, like for example, you know at Rodriguez executing a tough change up, you know to get a damis striking out, as Gabrin Marino is just talking about on the on the on the post game. That ability to do that, to lock in, to focus, to make the pitch, or to you know, have the grade at bat. It's it's so difficult to quantify and it's something that we can't really grasp. But it's like kind of trying to grab water with your hands sometimes, but it's real. It happens. And Rodriguez has been in the zone when he needs to be almost the entire season. It's fun to watch.
Speaker 1: He generated just so much soft contact in this game as well. I mean you look at the big picture numbers, there only three of twenty balls put in play by Nationals hitters were hard hit. His average exit VELO against was seventy seven point two miles per hour. He got a decent amount of chase out of his zone thirty five percent chase rate through first pitch strike seventy percent of the time. So you know, I guess maybe the gripe jack is that e Rod getting off the mound to field grounders from time to time.
Speaker 2: Not not always the best.
Speaker 1: If we're nitpicking here, but hey, it's a small price to pray, price to pay. He is now nine and three with a two point six four era. I guess you can give him a little grace on that front.
Speaker 3: Coming back from the All Star break prior you know, whether you prior to euro Adds last start. Tory Lavello was talking about you getting off the mound quickly during the All Star Game for a play, and he said there was a coach's text thread where they were all kind of joking back and forth like, oh, he can do it the see get off the round there, but today not so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not always, not always a great look. But Irod did make the big pitches when he needed to. He has carried the Diamondbacks this season. They had to pick him up in his last outing that of course was not a good one, but he bounces right back against one of the best offenses in all of baseball, arguably the best offense in all of baseball in the Washington Nationals. On the offensive side, there wasn't much to speak of for the Diamondbacks in this one. But boy, I'm sure you had a big smile on your face.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: In the top of the second inning because the Diamondbacks with runners first the second and nobody out, Adrian Delcasto lays down a sack bunt, something that you've been talking about, like the d Backs need to start doing that more, especially with some of these hitters who are not performing well. So Adrian delkas stil lays down a flawless sack bunt, moves the runners up to second and third with one out, and then Tim Twa follows that up with another. This want to push bunt up the first baseline. Couldn't laid it down any better than he did. It was a thing of beauty and it scored Max Kepler from the third base Tyler Locklear moved up to third. They had no hope of getting Tim Tawa at first base either. It goes for an infield single and that not only scored a run but led to another Dbax run.
Speaker 2: In the inning to tell.
Speaker 1: Marte followed this up with a fielder's choice ground out to drive in another run. Both of those runs, of course, enormous for the Diamondbacks and what was ultimately a one run game.
Speaker 3: I was very happy to see them expand the player pool with which they're willing to use the bunt. For me, obviously, you don't want to just be giving away out willy nilly in every situation. You can't be too rote about it. But there are certain situations, in certain contexts, against certain teams where you really do need to be able to dive into that part of the strategy, regardless of where you are in the lineup. And so what I've been advocating for is just expanding the player pool with which they're willing to utilize the bunt, and especially obviously down to the bottom half of the order, they're really you know, there's maybe like two or three guys in this lineup that I can say, all right, you don't need to bunt with those guys and everybody else, everybody else on this team. I would want them to have that ability. So we joke about the bunt club that they have that works out with the Jeff Banister before games, and I'd like to see that player pool that works with him on bunting continue to expand. So great stuff today from del Castillo in that situation. Look, I'm everybody knows I'm an analyst. I'm a saber guy, and you know orthodox sabermetrics is never sacrificed bunt. But I'm not that orthodox. I'm very flexible when it comes to kind of trying to balance the the two aspects of this game. You've got to be able to play situational baseball. I just look at the really good teams like the Brewers and the Rays and how they were able to execute that up and down the lineup when they need to. And that's what I want to see more from the Diamondbacks like we did tonight.
Speaker 1: D BACS pr sent out an interesting note about that inning. They said the d Bacs second inning was the first time they had a sac bun, a bun hit and two plus runs in an inning since July twenty seven to twenty twenty two against the San Francisco Giants. It's the sixteenth time in franchise history that the Diamondbacks have managed to d back, so kind of a little random there, but you know, not surprising to hear that twenty twenty two was the last time the Dbacs did this. I mean, especially in twenty twenty two and going into twenty three a little bit, this team had a lot more of a small ball identity than they've had in the past few years. That second inning in this game was sort of a callback to the Diamondbacks small ball days from a few years back. The player that we really wanted to spend some time highlighting from this game, though, that we still haven't gotten to is Gabrielle Moreno. He had two hits in this one. I guess technically those hits didn't wind up factoring in to the runs that they scored, but he did come through in the top of the seventh with a big sacrifice fly bases loaded one out. At times, it's felt like a difficult situation for the d Backs to execute, and he manages to drive a middle end sweeper. I guess it was actually a little off the corner inside two left field gets it plenty up in the air enough in order to score run. That run ultimately proved to be the difference in this game, and Gabrielle Moreno just deserves his flowers in general here, Jack, I mean, you look at his numbers going back to May thirteenth, This is entering today, So it doesn't facts are in his two hits from this game. But these are crazy numbers over a span of more than two months. A three forty seven batting average, four to thirty nine on base four ninety two slugs, six home runs, twenty seven RBI. Now it would be twenty eight after this game. Thirty two walks, only twenty eight strikeouts. I mean, these are insane numbers, Jack. And this isn't the version of Gabby Moreno that is only playing, you know, three four games a week. This is a version of Gabby Moreno where he is playing literally every game, either at catcher or at DH.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and it's an all around game. The hitting numbers are amazing, and of course the two to four to night probably runs that number that you just put up there on the screen up to or over three fifty. And you know, you think where he was before that. It's just amazing how consistent he's been, the quality of the at bats. You know, this is more than just a guy on a hot streak. This is a guy that has really figured out who he is as a hitter and what he has to do to be successful, and he's just executing on it night after night. You know, he made two terrific plays on pop ups. He called a fantastic game tonight. Whether we're looking at you know, batting numbers, w RC plush, you know, Fangrass War, Baseball Reference War, or the average of the two Baseball Reference War, I don't think it includes framing, whereas Fangrass War does. So Fangrass always favors him a little bit. But you know, Gabriel Marinos, without question, at this point in time, the best catcher in the National League, and he was before the All Star break. It was very much a snub that he was not an All Star. I realized he missed some time early and the play appearances might not have been there. You do have the factor of having to get you know, a player from every team on there, and Major League Baseball is limited into how they can fill in the gaps. But Gavin Marino deserved to be an All Star this year, and you know, he's clearly the best catcher in the National League at this time.
Speaker 1: Full stop, You and I were texting back and forth about him last night, thinking like, could Gaby Moreno win the Silver Slugger in the National League.
Speaker 2: It feels like he should.
Speaker 1: But there's also this guy named Hunter Goodman who's going to hit like seventy five home runs. Partially because he plays in course field. That's a big part of it. But Hunter Goodman has had a good offensive season overall, so maybe it's an uphill battle to win the Silver Slugger. I think Gabby is very much in the gold Glove conversation, you know, Luis Torenz looking at some of the numbers. I think Torenz maybe has the slightly better defense metrics as of right now, but there's no question as far as the full package is concerned. Gabriel Moreno is the best catcher in the National League right now, and he just deserves a ton of credit for being kind of the one hitter in this lineup that you can count on on a day in, day out basis like catell and Corbin and Perdomo, those guys have all had pretty big ups and downs over the course of the year. Moreno didn't start that well. I mean his ops if you go back to May thirteenth, His ops on that day was five ninety three, which is sort of crazy to think about, But ever since then, he's been one of the best players in baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's kind of you know, he's only got two more years after this of team control. They've never been able to work out an extension with him, and you know that's it's going to be a sad day when he's no longer a diamondback. But if they don't pull off an extension here pretty soon, almost immediately, maybe even before this season is over, then it's likely that they won't be able to. So you know, let's just get as much out of him as we can and enjoy it. While last folks Gapria Moreno's All Star caliber catcher, he's already been a Gold Glove winner. He deserves more accolades than he's getting. And we devoted a very full segment here on him because we really haven't given him enough love. Maybe we've been taking him for granted, just like everybody else that will I'm sure many of you have not been.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I will just throw in there that Derek Hall was asked yesterday, I think, on Arizona Sports ninety eighty seven about the possibility of a Gabby extension. He kind of gave the answer you'd expect, like, you know, we've had conversations about this in the past, and I'm sure we will in the future because of you know, how big of a part of this team Gabby is. So he certainly didn't close the door on it. I don't know if it's likely, but given what he's meant to the Diamondbacks the past couple of months, they definitely feel like Gabby Moreno is a player you'd love to see stick in a Diamondbacks uniform.
Speaker 2: Long term, we.
Speaker 1: Have a whole lot more to get to in this episode. We got a super chat that will touch on We also have the standings to look at. Of course, things looking pretty promising there for the Diamondbacks today.
Speaker 2: And then Mike.
Speaker 1: Hazen also had a visit with the Dbacks radio booth from this game, so we have some comments from Hazen about the trade deadline that we're going to dive into as well. So don't go anywhere, We'll be back right after this here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 4: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families and Todd Father, you've raved about the homeschooling experience.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeschooled. It's a fantastic opportunity for them not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too and make some new friend. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 4: See how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential. En Roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 2: We are back here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 1: Really appreciate all of you being here with us live in the chat. We see all of your comments coming through We are very thankful that you are here with us. We did get a super chat from the argyra speedis over on over here from our YouTube chat and they say, thank you guys for being such an incredible show, such a great resource. Well, we very much appreciate that. Just curious, do we have any update on Mana? Haven't had an update recently. I feel like it's been a while since we've heard anything there, Jack, I don't know if you have any anything to report on that front.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, he had a season ending shoulder surgery in June, so Christian Mena will not be pitching for the Diamondbacks in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yes, we do have an update there, so yeah, unfortunately he will not be a factor for this team in twenty twenty six, and I mean entering the season, he definitely looked like he was a significant part of their starting pitching depth, so a bummer to see that. Hopefully he's able to get back here before too long. We did want to shout out our good friend Azy Nailgal five to zero from Azy Snake Pit, all of our friends over there. She points out that our run differential is plus two now and this is a great point. Diamondbacks have been floundering with a negative run differential here for a while. They got that number up to plus one yesterday with their win over Saint Louis and now plus two with their one run win over the Washington Nationals here in this one, and that brings us to the standings Jack. Things are looking pretty good here for the Diamondbacks, at least compared to what they've looked like for the last month or so. The Diamondbacks at fifty five and forty nine, they are in that third wild card spot. They now have a two game cushion on the Saint Louis Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Both of those teams are tied currently, and then you've got the Miami Marlins two and a half back, the Nationals now three games back after this game, and then the San Diego Padres at four and a half games back. The other thing that stands out, of course, is the d Backs are just one game behind the Philadelphia Phillies. The Phillies lost the New York Yankees earlier tonight, and hey, I mean the d Backs are only three and a half behind the.
Speaker 2: Cubs as well. For the top overall wild card spot.
Speaker 1: So things are looking pretty good Jack, from a standing standpoint right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's exciting. I mean, this is not exactly what we were expecting. I mean, you know, this kind of stretch where they win so many games in such a short period of time was not exactly what everyone was expecting. Certainly, the way they were playing more than you know, just before the Dodgers sweep is not something that anyone could have predicted. But that's why they play the games, right. You can't predict baseball. Now, their playoff odds are skyrocketing, I mean, not only what you see in the standings. They're up to forty seven percent now with fangrafts, like you said, and so I just think that they're in the driver's seat now for what they want to do. I feel like the biggest threat to them is still the Pittsburgh Pirates. I've kind of felt that way for a while. I think that they have a pretty good offense, and I think that their offense is pretty sustainable. Well, the expected metrics put them in the top five of baseball, so you know, even though that they probably outperformed those expected a bit, the fact is is they have a good offense, they have a good pitching staff. They're in the top half of the league, maybe twelfth to thirteenth, and certainly there's potential for that pitching staff to be a lot better. The biggest thing probably going to hold the Pirates back as their ownership. Recently there was a report that they would like to add but they can't add payroll. Well, I don't know how you're going to do that because the only one they're paying any money to is Marcelo Zuna, and nobody's going to take his contract. So I don't know how the Pirates are going to add to their team, and they probably could use some bullpen help. It's probably the weakness of their team, but that's the biggest threat to the Dbacks in my view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair. I mean, just throwing up the standings one more time. I mean, the Marlins definitely felt like a good team. I mean, we've talked in the past about if you look at some of the underlying stuff with the way they've performed this year, they actually grade out of been quite a bit better than their record, and yet here they are having lost nine games in a row, and then the Padres.
Speaker 2: Things look scary there. A few days ago, it felt like.
Speaker 1: Machado and Fernando Tatis and Jackson Merrill were all starting to hit. And then they lost back to back games against the Atlanta Braves, and now they're actually playing the Miami Marlins. So we'll see what what that series looks like the next couple of days. And I think all of this leads us to a place where, you know, is this Diamondbacks team flawed? Like, yeah, I think I think I feel pretty comfortable saying that. I think this Diamondbacks team is, you know, given the offensive struggles they've had this season, the fact that this starting rotation is kind of a patchwork job at this point. Bullpen has been great and has made up for some of that. But yeah, it's It's not a great Diamondbacks roster on paper. I'd be lying if I said I thought that. But you look at some of these other teams that they're competing with, and it's like, well, they don't necessarily have to be great. They just have to be better than the Marlins and the Pirates and the Cardinals and the Nationals and the Padres. And the more we see of those teams, the more it's like yeah, they actually might be. And at this point, when we think about the buy verse cell conversation, Jack, I don't really know if there's I don't know if there's much of a conversation to have in terms of buy verse Cell. I think it's more of just like what does buying look like at this point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, as we you know, in a few minutes, when we go and dive into the specifics of Mike, what Mike's had to say, you know, we'll just go right to the horse's mouth on that. I think it's fairly clear what his intentions are. But if you're talking about the roster in general, the one thing that's really been standing out to me is how many rookies the team has deployed this year. It's quite alive. It's not the most in baseball actually, but as of a couple of days ago, they had utilized fourteen players between position players and pitchers that were still had rookie eligibility not necessarily made their major league debut. If it's somebody that played last year but still had eligibility for rookie status this year is included in that. And so that's a pretty good number to have, right like, you know, because these guys keep coming back to the majors and being a little bit better than they were the first time around. They're improving. The other point that I thought was really cool, I was looking at playoff and World Series winners and the World Series winner that utilized and this is going to shock everybody, they utilized the most players with rookie eligibility was the two thousand and one Arizona Diamondbacks. They had seventeen. Okay, so how about that. Yeah, the Arizona Diamondbacks utilized seventeen players in two thousand and one that had rookie eligibility. So I guess the point here is it's not that the rookie are you know, one, two and three in the Rookie of the Year balloting. It's that everyone's got a contribution to make and you just need to have, you know, take turns having positive moments and playing heads up baseball and playing good defense, take turns having your big hits. And that's what we're seeing. I mean, they're getting contributions on kind of a rotational basis from their young players and that's been great to see. And I think that that's really helping to fill some of the gaps that the roster has had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great point.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of these guys, and the dbacs are, for better or worse, having to count on quite a few of them right now. And as they get a little bit healthier, hopefully in the second half of the season, and maybe as they make some trades, maybe you're able to kind of lessen the load on some of those guys and you know, let them come into their own and the big leagues in a little bit.
Speaker 2: More of a natural way.
Speaker 1: We have a whole lot more to get to on the trade deadline front. Mentioned it earlier, Mike Hazen made some comments about what the dbacs are going to do. So we're going to go ahead and take our last break. Drop that in here real quick. And on the other side, we're going to dive a little bit more into this trade deadline conversation.
Speaker 2: So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. Think you know who's hitting a homer today, Well, Fan Duel is giving you a free chance to call your shot. With daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain, and don't forget you can make a free pick every day all season long. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home for home runs. So are you ready to play your game today? Join all the action at FanDuel dot com slash podcast That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast to play daily dingers and make your free pick one who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 7: Twenty one plus select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC, Kentucky, Wyoming. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager romount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called one eight hundred, gambler call one eight hundred, my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven visit CCPG dot org, slash chat Connecticut, visit MD gamblinghelp dot org. Maryland visit gambling Helplinema dot org. Call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero, Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight Hope and why text Hope and why New York call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven Louisiana.
Speaker 1: Well, before we jump back in here to some trade deadline chatter, we do want to highlight a couple of more super chats.
Speaker 2: Very much appreciate all of you doing this.
Speaker 1: This one is from at Christopher Adn seven five zero here on YouTube says let's keep the good times rolling ghost Snakes.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Christopher.
Speaker 1: We very much appreciate the positive vibes and the super chat from you. We also have one here from a longtime friend of the show, Jordan Brimley seven eight three nine, who says every team should have a duo represent them like you too. Love you guys and appreciate your perspectives and knowledge. We appreciate you back, Jordan, and Jordan says, give me two realistic trade targets. All right, Well, you and I have been kind of working on this behind the scenes. Here recently, Jack, So we have we have a list that is much longer than two So I don't know who we who we want to pick here, Jack, I guess Nathaniel low is the name we've mentioned a bunch of times already.
Speaker 3: No, we're going to your Don Alvarez and Turik school now, I'm just kidding. There we go, There we go, dreamings free. We have talked about Nathaniel low before here on the show. And you know, he's under two million dollars this year in payroll. The Cincinnati Reds are definitely sellers. He's not a high impact guy, but he's solidly above average almost every year, as he is this year. He could be a left handed DH, and you're you know, we have the unfortunate situation to contemplate that eventually. You know, they're going to be without Max Kepler if they go to the postseason, so they're going to need another left handed bat. I wouldn't use low in the outfield, but you know, do you want to go into the postseason with Adrian del Castillo as your lefty DH or would you rather have a little bit more professional, long term, established guy that's above average in Nathaniel Lowe I'd probably like to see that happen. And he's you know, his price tag maybe a little bit high for what he brings on a rental deal, because there just aren't that many out there. There's not enough guys out there to do this. But I think that he's definitely a realistic option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would. I would totally agree with that.
Speaker 1: I guess to throw another name out there, I'm gonna I'm gonna go actually a name that we were texting about earlier, Shane Bieber of the Toronto Blue Jays. Of course, we saw a lot of Shane Bieber during the Blue Jays playoff run a season ago. Certainly he has postseason experience. Formerly one of the best pitchers in all of baseball. Not quite that guy anymore, but he's looked really good lately. You pointed out to me his most recent outing was seven innings of one run ball that against the Tampa Bay Rays. Before that, it was six scoreless innings against the Chicago White Sox. So, you know, he's only made six starts this year, four to seven, zero eer a. But he's the type of picture that you really like if he can get hot, and he is a rental and I think the Blue Jays are gonna to sell question mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean you never know with the American League, like any team over there goes on a four game winning streak is right back in it. Yeah, so it's a little tough, you know. And then that's just a key factor to to think about. I think at this point is probably a pretty good segue into Mike's comments on the radio broadcast. By the way, if you listen to Dback's TV, if you stream, you know that that does have the option to listen to multiple broadcasts. You can listen to the television or the radio broadcast. Happen to be listening to Mike Ferrin and Josh Colementer tonight, and they had Mike Hazen on for an inning and a half, almost two full innings I think it was, And he had some really interesting comments to make and you want to roll.
Speaker 2: Through, so yeah, go for it, get us started.
Speaker 3: What do you got? All right? So I made notes of what he was talking about, and I think the first thing to point out, like a lot of people are saying, you know, you got to make a trade now, why not getting get it moving now? Even he talked he joked about her Aldo Pidomo, you know, pushing him to make moves now, go get pitching now. But you have to have, as Mike point out, you have to have a willing participant. And he had a whole discussion like, you know, where he wants to make a trade or you know, Amiel saw Day saying, well you can't. You got to wait until other teams are ready. It's still a little early in the process. And Mike said, but yeah, but we got J. D. Martinez early, so they they have the same thoughts and experiences and emotions that we all do when it comes to timing on the trade deadline. Everybody would love to see something happen earlier, but it's not easy to do. If it was, it would happen. You need a willing participant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that that runs counter to what a lot of people are maybe thinking right now, like don't they just try to jump the market a little bit and make something happen. But yeah, it's not necessarily that easy. I also thought it was funny Hazen talked about a conversation he had with Heraldo Perdomo today and how Heraldo Perdomo is also pushing him to get pitching now. The Perdomo apparently was really trying to make a case for that, and Hazen acknowledged like he sees where Perdomo's coming from. The Diamondbacks are playing some really important games right now against teams that they are in direct competition with, right the Nationals, and then you've got the Pittsburgh Pirates coming up as well. Hazen also noted that the schedule in August is difficult and so yeah, in a way, you want pitching as soon as you can possibly get it, but yeah, it's not necessarily that easy. Hazen also talked about how he doesn't know who the buyers and sellers are, and I think we're still at the point around the league right now where you can pinpoint about six teams that you feel are our seller pretty confidently, and the rest is just a total wild card right now. And I think it's set up a situation where jumping the market for at least anyone noteworthy just isn't really going to be possible, or if you do, you're going to be paying a hefty, hefty price in order to make it happen.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean that's part of the dance here, sure, Like if you're willing to empty out the top five of your prospect list, you could probably make, you know, and peel off a player or two off you major league roster that you know, you feel like is a risk but worth it, sure. I mean it's never impossible to make a deal, but you would just have to overwhelm the other team so heftily with something that would be frankly a gross overpay and would not be you know, responsible. A couple other points that he made, it sounded the way he was talking like his goal right now has shifted a little bit from getting the middle of the order bat to more pitching. I mean, that's certainly with all the injuries. He talked a lot about how the injury situation has kind of put a lot of their plans and flux, you know, best laid plans. They drew up a plan, this is what they were expecting to do, and then some of the setbacks with players originally scheduled to return from injury like Corbyn Burns and aj Puck and lordus Guriel, and then on top of that the new injuries to Ryan Nelson, Michael Soroka, and Zach Gallon. All of that's really kind of thrown a monkey wrench into what their planning was, and they're kind of readjusting all this on the fly and trying to figure out the best moves to make. I think the other thing that the other part of the discussion, which is really quite relevant, is you know, they don't have much in the way of expiring contracts to move. I mean, you could say Zach Gallon or lordus Guriel Junior, but nobody's going to take them. And they're both on the injured list, they're both having terrible seasons, and they're both being paid a lot of money, so there is no trade value there. I mean, if you did move them either of them before the trade deadline, you're basically just looking hoping that you can save one or two million dollars on salary for each of them. And that's about it, which is not something to completely disregard. The dbacks are a little bit closer to the luxury tax threshold than they've ever been. They probably only have twelve to maximum seventeen million dollars before they go over that threshold. And then the last thing I'll say is that, you know, Mike talked about the possibility of maybe doing challenge trades where you trade one prospect for the other, kind of like the Zach Gallon Jazz Chisholm trade, where you know, you trade a hitter for a pitcher, a pitcher for a hitter. That's what they call a challenge trade. The other is, you know, focusing on getting controllable players, which is something that is always in his playbook. And a controllable player can be somebody that's helping you now and helping you down the road. And then finally what he said was if just dead buying i e. Rentals, Okay, so if you're just going after a rental, then that's a discussion that they need to have with ownership, you know, because certainly that's going to be a money issue as well. And he ended it by saying, if they keep playing like they are, then the guys down there deserve it. So, you know, if they if the guys down there keep winning games like this, then they did the team and the coaches and Tory deserve it. For Mike to go out and get, you know, is whatever he can the best that he can.
Speaker 1: And that's where Trek Scoogle enters the conversation. Yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, right, one thing I will add on the luxury tax conversation. I think it's worth noting that the penalty if the Diamondbacks were to go into that range is not actually all that significant. You just pay, my understanding, at least I believe you just paid twenty percent on the overage. So if you go five million dollars over the luxury tax, you would pay one million dollars extra as a fee for that. Which it's like, if you're already going five million over, is it really that big of a deal from a Ken Kendrick standpoint to be at six million?
Speaker 2: The d Backs wouldn't.
Speaker 1: There would be no like draft pick ramifications for that or anything. So I just want to throw that out there. I'm not saying the Dbacks are going to do that. I still think it's totally possible that Ken Kendrick is is maybe going to treat that as sort of a max like where we're just not comfortable going in that range. But it's not as if like going into that range would have like dangerous ramifications for the franchise or anything. It would be quite literally just a little bit more money than what.
Speaker 2: You're already what you're already paying, not.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. There's other ramifications that could come up, actually, you know, and you could factor in. You have to factor in other things like revenue sharing and what you're you you receive, right, because they're interesting there they receive revenue sharing. But if you go over the luxury text and you're not getting that revenue sharing.
Speaker 1: I guess that's that's a good point. I'm I mean, you still wouldn't think right that being like a few million below it versus a few million above it is suddenly going to cost you, like, you know, fifty million dollars or something like that in revenue sharing. But that is a that is a ripple there that I hadn't I hadn't considered.
Speaker 3: And also I think also like in cases where you're dealing with the qualifying offer, what what the penalties are also factors in if your luxury taxpayer or not. So I don't know all those details exactly, but it's not just the specific the penalties alone that are the consideration there, I guess it.
Speaker 1: To get that exactly right, Yeah, yeah, no, that's a that's a good call. I guess all that to say, like how how much the dbacs push the chips in is once again going to depend a lot on what Ken Kendrick is willing to do. We already know the d Backs are running a franchise record payroll at this point, right So it's not as if the d Backs are one of these teams that's not been willing to spend money.
Speaker 2: They absolutely have.
Speaker 1: And we've seen Ken be quite aggressive over the past few years when he's felt the d Backs had a chance. And so maybe with this twenty twenty six roster and them being back in the playoff picture as of right now, maybe that does cause Ken to be more aggressive and to green light Yeah, not just like try to get some good, controllable pictures or whatnot, but yeah, let's swing.
Speaker 2: Big on a player.
Speaker 1: Maybe not Trek Scuoble because the prospect capital would be enormous. I don't think the d Bacs have what the Tigers would want. But you know, maybe that does green light the d Backs going out there and getting a rental who makes a decent amount of money the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, I mean Ken has always been as aggressive as he possibly can win in a position to do so, he said, you know, franchise payroll records three years in a row. Now, you know, maybe he's hearing footsteps, but I think everybody in the organization's hearing footsteps. They all know that the fan base is restless and you know, a little tired of not making the playoffs more than once every five six years. So, you know, I think getting back to the postseason this year and being good enough to do some damage when you get there, you know, is gonna definitely take some reinforcement. You never know, of course, like you know, are you going to get a J. D. Martinez situation or are you going to get a situation where you're bringing a guy and he doesn't do anything. That happens all the time, you know, where teams swing big at the trade deadline and it just doesn't work out. The players they bring in don't have the seasons that they would hope for. I mean, quite frankly, last year the Texas Rangers probably didn't get what they were looking for at of Merrill.
Speaker 1: Kelly, Yeah, yeah, that is very true. Let's see, looking at the chat here, I am the Larry just said. I don't think it's an accident. The team is playing well now that Lordis and Gallon are on the IL and Peven was the fate edition by subtraction has been massive for the team. Yeah, I guess, I guess. I mean, there's definitely a correlation there. I guess it's hard to say if it's a causation, but I mean maybe it is. I think we could say pretty clearly that like Tyler, Locklear has given the Diamondbacks a whole lot out of first base than Peven Smith had been able to do.
Speaker 3: Well. I did some work, and you know, I measured who was hurting the team the most, right, compared to what you were expecting to get and compared to what you were getting, and the players that were hurting the team the most were Lordis and Peven on offense, and clearly Zach on the mound. Yeah, you know, I mean, and I'm actually look at this with a great deal of trepidation because I think Lordis is pretty close to coming back, and I think they've got a good thing going, and if all of a sudden they toss him back into the you know, middle, middle bottom part of the order and we get more of just you know, him flailing the balls that he should not be swinging at and failing to hit the ball with any authority because he doesn't have his legs under him, Like, then, how much more of that do we need to watch before they make a decision? And I know they're in a tough spot. Look, Lortis is a good teammate. He's been a good diamondback. He's played through a lot of aches and pains and injuries. There's been a lot of times I saw Lordus Gurriel Junior hobbling around the locker room with you know, ice packs all over his legs and arms and all up and down his body. You know, he's a good guy, and he's a good teammate, and he's really tried very hard to be the best player and best diamondback he can. So, you know, I don't want anything I'm saying that, you know, fuel hatred toward the guy. But the fact is is that that knee injury and then subsequent hamstring and leg injuries have taken the bottom out of him. He's literally had his legs cut out from under him, and he's no longer able to drive the ball. And I don't see him suddenly getting that back this season.
Speaker 1: You mentioned earlier we talked about how Mike Hazen seems to be pivoting a little bit, chasing after pitching a little bit more than the thump in the middle of the lineup. It seemed like that was the main focus. I'm curious what you think of that. Like, I mean, I think we'd be lying if we said we didn't think the Diamondbacks still kind of needs some thump in the middle of the lineup. They still kind of need, you know, that Nathaniel Low type player that we were talking about earlier. And I guess it feels like kind of a both and if anything, like the DBAC still should have that as a priority, even though the pitching side is maybe more in need than we thought it was going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, obviously he's probably still going to be looking for opportunity upgrade no matter where it comes from, and that the opportunity comes up to get a good hitter at a fair price, he's going to do it. I'm not saying that he's giving up on the idea of adding to the lineup. I don't think that's what he was saying. But clearly, with all the injuries that they've had, they have to bolster this pitching staff. You know, there was a report that came out today Tory actually talking about first on Serious XM, about how Corburn Burns could be back before the end of August and early September the latest. And then you know, he walked it back when he went on the Arizona Sports ninety eight point seven with Dave Burns at two thirty and he kind of made that sound more like, well, you know, Burns is hopeful and pushing it to get back by early September, and you know Tory is hopeful for that, but it's still going to be up to the medical staff. And you know, I mean again, I'm not counting on anything from Corbyn Burns the rest of this If they get it, it's an absolute extra bonus. Mike Hasn has to operate the same way. I'm not counting on getting anything good out of Zach Gallon the rest of the season. He might, but you know, I'm not counting on it. Mike Hasn has to operate the same way. I'm not counting on getting anything good out of Ryan Nelson the rest of this season. They might maybe they bring him back as a reliever. Mike Hasn has to operate the same way.
Speaker 1: It is difficult to be in a situation where there is, you know, this this degree of players that theoretically could come back and impact the team, right. I mean, some of these guys aren't that far away. Like Soroka could be back here in the next couple of weeks, Jordan Lawler could be back in the next couple weeks. Justin Martinez in that group as well. I mean that's one theoretically very good reliever, a pretty good starting pitcher, and an outfielder who really looked great when he was healthy in Jordan Lawler. That is a lot of impact you could get, not in mid September, but in like the next couple of weeks. And yet you also have to balance those factors that you're saying of like, Okay, maybe even with those guys, we have to temper our expectations of what they're actually going to give when they return to the big lea groster. And I guess that leaves me with this thought of, like what is the ideal but still somewhat realistic outcome of the trade deadline just from a positional standpoint, not getting to names at this point, but it seems like landing a starting pitcher would be a good thing. Yes, Sorocu's coming back. But you've got both Mitch Bratt and Cold Drake in the rotation right now, and all of the other starters are pretty far away, So getting a starting pitcher seems like, yes, that is kind of in the need category at this point, or at least something you very much would like to get if you can. Adding to the bullpen is just kind of always a thing that you probably want to do as a contender. So I think we can throw that in there pretty safely, something that maybe wouldn't cost them that much. And then if they were to get a Nathaniel Low type for the offense, I mean, would that be kind of a slam dunk trade deadline? And your mind, Jack, if the d Backs can acquire three players, just one guy that fits in each of those categories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if they brought in Low or an equivalent hitter from the left side, if they brought in a starting pitcher that has got a track record of being decent or good, you know, obviously redebtmers might be the dream here. I don't know if that's achievable, but if they're able to bring in a starting pitcher, preferably a controllable one, because I think they're going to need to think ahead to next year. So if they're looking for that controllable player, I think it's going to be on the pitching side much more so than on the hitting side. I think they're much more likely to go more aggressive for a rental. On the hitting side. They could be pretty aggressive with the relief pitcher there too. But yes, you get one good, really one above average hitter and one above average starting pitcher. I mean, sure, that's a that's a home run, whether he whether it pays off or not. You can't ask for any more, regardless of the result, you know. But to do that, you know, you just hope that they don't have to completely strip mine their their upper half of their their prospect ranking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably fair. Carbon Barrows mentions Emerson Hancock's name. Of course, anytime we see a Mariner's pitcher thrown out there, it's like, oh, well, Diamondbacks Mariners, here we go again. I don't really know what that would look like, though, I don't. I don't think the Mariners are taking Lordus Gurriel Junior for Emerson Hancock. So so we'll see we are just what is this ten days away from the trade deadline if I'm doing my math right, August third, so a week from a week from Monday. And DBAC still of course need to go out and keep on winning. And they have two more big games against this Washington Nationals team before they head on over to Pittsburgh's to play the Pittsburgh Pirates. Those games, of course also very very important. And yeah, I mean the more that they can win these games and continue to play this way, the more pressure they're going to put on my Cason to go out and be aggressive.
Speaker 3: Nine days, nineteen hours, twenty nine minutes and thirty five seconds.
Speaker 2: There we go. Now we know trade deadline is not all that far away.
Speaker 3: I have that pinned up the top of my profile on Twitter. It's the countdown clock for the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: I love it. That's great.
Speaker 1: Well, we, of course we'll be talking a whole lot more about the trade deadline in the next nine hour or nine days, nineteen hours and however many minutes and seconds. Jack just said, and we appreciate all of you for being here with us. As always, you can find us on social media. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at Shu Wizard fifty nine and our show is at Snake's Territory on Twitter, and of course you can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI. A lot of great stuff over there from him, alongside Alex Dagostino, our good friend as well Jack. Any final thoughts here as we as we say goodbye and head into the weekend.
Speaker 3: Just to clarify, for I am Larry So I stream via the Dbacks TV and MLB TV app on my Apple TV and that has the option to select the different broadcast, whether it's the audio from the TV broadcast or the audio from the radio. At the same time, you can do that on my computer as well. On my laptop, I can stream it. So I don't know how you're getting it, but if you stream Dbacks TV, I'm sure that you can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. There we go.
Speaker 1: Are These are the kind of pro tips that you get for watching the Snakes Territory Podcast. Thank you again to all of you for being here with us on this episode. We really appreciate it. You can expect to hear from us once again late Sunday night early Monday morning. We'll have a recorded episode after the conclusion of this big Washington national series, so we look forward to seeing you all. Then, thank you again for being here with us. We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back once again on Sunday late night with another edition of Snakes Territory