Speaker 1: You're listening to Facing Evil, a production of iHeartRadio and Tenderfoot TV. The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are solely those of the individuals participating in the show and do not represent those of iHeartRadio or Tenderfoot TV. This podcast contains subject matter which may not be suitable for everyone. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone, welcome back to Facing Evil. I'm Rasha Peccuerero and a big welcome back to my beautiful sister.
Speaker 3: Yes Spongourno. Everyone, I am Eve Gentile and as Rasha said, I am back from Italia, which was amazing, but I'm also equally excited to be back in the studio with my A team. And I'm especially excited because we have a guest in the house today that I am really looking forward to speaking with.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm looking forward to that as well. But we are going to be looking at the story of Irma Martinez. Irma was a Filipino living made for a wealthy family here in the US, but sadly it became much more than that. The family exploited her labor and trapped her there for years, and this eventually became a disturbing case of modern day slavery.
Speaker 3: That's right, Russia. It's terrible, but it points to a bigger issue of human trafficking in this country, especially for force slabor. And with us here to talk about that today will be Remy Adelaike g. Remy is a former Navy seal who is now a filmmaker and he recently made a short film about human trafficking. I am so looking forward to this discussion today with Remy.
Speaker 2: I am as well. Remy is incredible. But first our producer Trevor is going to walk us through today's case.
Speaker 1: Irma Martinez is a Filipino woman who was coerced into indentured servitude for a wealthy Wisconsin family for nineteen years. The case was a shocking example of modern day human and labor trafficking. In nineteen eighty five, at the age of nineteen, Irma was approached by a woman named Elnorra kayleem Limb. She offered Irma a job as a housekeeper at the kalem lim household in America. Elnorra and her husband Jefferson, were busy doctors and had three children. Irma was promised job stability and a steady income that she could send back to her family in the Philippines. She agreed to work for an initial five years. The family flew with her to America under the guise that she was one of their patients. She arrived in the United States on a tourist visa. The kalam Limbs reportedly knew how to bring a foreign citizen into the US to work legally, but they chose not to. Had they done that, they would have needed to sign an employer contract, pay her fair wages, and limit her duties to those appropriate for her job classification. But when she arrived, the family took her passport and told her she owed them for travel expenses. She worked seven days a week for sixteen hours a day, cleaning the home and caring for the children. If she slept past six am, Elinor and Jefferson would scold her and tell her that she should be concerned next time it happened. They led her to believe she was in the country illegally, so therefore she could not open a bank account and they could not pay her. They also told her that if anyone found her, she would be jailed and deported. Because of this, they told her she couldn't walk around the neighborhood. She was never even allowed to open the front door. When the children came home from school, she would open the garage door from the inside so no one would see her. Despite both the Kayalam Limbs being doctors, they repeatedly denied Irma medical treatment. When Irma had a broken tooth, they refused to take her to a dentist, and when she was doubled over from menstrual cramps, Elinor ridiculed her and told her she would never have children. Jefferson would often get angry after drinking alcohol, and on one occasion threw a shoe at Irma. In the late nineties, one of the sons, Jack, brought home a girlfriend named Sherry. Sherry noticed Irma and became suspicious. After probing the family further, she eventually tipped off the US Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services. She broke down in tears during the call and stated that quote, no one should live under those conditions. That is just not humane. On September twenty ninth, two thousand and four, FBI and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents raided the home with the surge warrant. The agents went into the basement and found a secret room they opened it and found Irma shaking in fear. She was thirty eight years old. After her rescue, Irma was granted a tea visa for trafficking victims. As it turns out, in nineteen years, Irma's family received only nineteen thousand dollars from the Kalem Limbs. The Kalem Limbs were ordered to pay back over nine hundred thousand dollars in back wages and were sentenced to four years in prison each. About the case, acting US Attorney Michelle Jacobs said, quote, human trafficking is a form of modern day slavery and is simply not acceptable. No person should ever be forced to live in fear, virtual isolation, and servitude. And so what happened to Irma Martinez and how does her story reflect a troubling practice of human trafficking in the US and across the world.
Speaker 3: Without further ado, we are so incredibly blessed to have the one, the only, Remy Adeleik on the show today and he's going to be discussing with us the broader issue of human trafficking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Remy, you were a.
Speaker 3: Navy seal for thirteen years, which is unbelievable and amazing, and then you went on to go into acting directing. You just did a film called The Unexpected, which I just have to tell you I watched last night and it's so mind blowing, it's so educating, and it's so deeply saddening. Kudos to that. It's a brilliant well directed You wrote it and directed as well.
Speaker 5: As You have a.
Speaker 3: Memoir book called Transformed, which I have to tell you on the plane from Rome to San Francisco I read and I was just literally blown away by your story. I mean one of my very first movies growing up as a child was Coming to America and to read your book and know your history and to know that you came and you come from royalty, it's such an incredible story. So if you could just share with our listeners how this came about, where you came from, I mean, how you grew up, all the things, all the things remy Yeah, I'll.
Speaker 5: Just feel free to stop me if I'm going to lawn. Never never feel free.
Speaker 6: To interject, because you know, there's so much of my story that I skip stuff.
Speaker 5: So if there's.
Speaker 6: Anything you remember from the book or you will be to share, just Hey, what about that alcohol?
Speaker 2: I will, I will, But I.
Speaker 6: Tell people all the time that you know, my story actually really starts with my dad's story. Yes, because as you mentioned, my grandfather was a chief in the euro of a tribe.
Speaker 5: And our last name at Day lake Game.
Speaker 6: At Day means crown and lake a means is supreme in euro love. And my first name is actually at Day Remy. A lot of people don't know that. You think it's Remy, and it's actually at Day Roman, which means the crown has appeased me.
Speaker 5: So my father was born as he was a firstborn son to.
Speaker 6: My grandfather who had like nine wives and he kept on having daughters. And the tradition at the time in Nigeria and you're of a still to this day, is you know, the firstborn son becomes the chief and is the leader.
Speaker 5: Of the tribe and the family, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 6: And so my grandfather died when my when my father was about eight years old. So my grandfather died when my dad was young as well, and all the wives dispersed, They were all given stipends, and you know, they all pretty much dispersed to different places. And my grandmother wrote my father down to the south of Nigeria and Lagos and at the time they were missionaries there and they were teaching science and math and a bunch of different things.
Speaker 5: And my dad was very intelligent.
Speaker 6: As a matter of fact, before he was six or seven years old, he had memorized the Krome, so he was he just had this very intellectual you know, he picked up things fast. He had a very diverse, wow, supernatural brain.
Speaker 5: Like that. My father actually has more. He's a really really smart guy.
Speaker 3: He's a he's an engineer, right, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he just moved back from Saudi Arabia. He was out there for eight years working at Saudi Ramco, helping them find oil and electure. You know, I'm not smart on all of this, so lot of contests, please forgive me, but you know, working on the system to help fine oil and now he works with Doe.
Speaker 5: So back to my dad. So so my dad, you know, he got it.
Speaker 6: He ended up getting pull Right scholarship to study engineering and architecture in London, and he went to London and you know, he excelled after he graduated, got his bachelors and at his master's and then he just started working and Ronnie he was the first black man on the board of the British Financial.
Speaker 7: Planning Council in the UK.
Speaker 5: Beautiful, and he.
Speaker 6: Came to the States and he started traveling back and forth from the States because one of his good friends was the architect of the World Trade Center a Japan. I'm always pronounced his name wrong. It's fresh in my mind because my scory got picked up to be a movie with a major studio. I can't mention it yet.
Speaker 2: Congratula.
Speaker 3: I have to interject here because as I was reading the book, you know, because we read it when we were driving through Italy. I read it when we were flying on the plane, and when we were driving, I was reading it out loud to my husband and like he was so engrossed. We were both so engrossed, and I could see it visually, I could see it. So congratulations, well deserved.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but a lot of this is fresh in my mind because I just finished writing the film, you know, after the writer's strike, because this is a big, big writers strike, we could start.
Speaker 5: Moving forward on other things.
Speaker 6: But you know, my dad's again, my dad's a good friend with Manori and he's with architect or World Trade Center.
Speaker 5: So my dad ended up being one of the first black men on the border.
Speaker 6: The World Trade Center in the United States, New York and so and that was kind of how he met my mom. As you mentioned coming to America, my mom Dad's story.
Speaker 5: Is to Americas, you know, and what you know, they fell in love and my.
Speaker 6: Mom moved to Nigeria and my dad ended up going back to Nigeria a little bit before he met my mom. But you know, I'll just jump to that part of the story because he wanted he felt like Nigeria can be like the West.
Speaker 5: A lot of people realize that.
Speaker 6: Africa in general is so so rich in resources, and Nigeria in particulars rich and.
Speaker 5: Oil, very very rich in oil, rich and natural gas, coco gold. I mean, I was in Nigeria a couple of years ago actually, when I.
Speaker 6: When I was writing a book, I went to finish writing the book in Nigeria and I.
Speaker 7: Went there to just get the.
Speaker 5: Deal of the land.
Speaker 6: And I interviewed one of my dad's mentees and he said that, you know, so many Nigerians and Africans believe that Nigeria is the cradle of civilization. Wow, because of how many resources come out of Nigeria, but also how intelligent Nigerian people are, like just like just brilliant minds. Yeah, and so because of all the resources, my dad was like, Nigeria needs to be like the US. And so he went back to Nigeria and went well, my mom was with him at this point, and he started businesses and he had started an architecture firm and engineering firm.
Speaker 5: He's had car dealerships and he had all.
Speaker 6: Of these different businesses and his goal was to create like a Wall Street. So buy a plot of land and create like this massive wall street in Nigeria with people from all around the world can come and do business and trade and look at Nigeria, look at Africa in a different way.
Speaker 5: He was very passionate about his people.
Speaker 8: So he bought this massive plot of land almost the size of a small city called Amerco, and he was going to use that land to develop his African Wall Street.
Speaker 5: And it was a military coup in the seventies.
Speaker 6: And when a military coup happened, the land got taken by the new military regime and everything was just thrown.
Speaker 5: The politicians were executed. I mean, it was just it was just crazy, how heartbreaking.
Speaker 6: He waited for the Nigerian government to get reinstalled and eventually didn't want to say, Like it was the late seventies in the early eighties and democracy was re established and he started going to court and started fighting the Nigerian government. And that's kind of around the time I was born. Like around that time, the Nigerians federal government. I said to my dad, Okay, what do you want. We have we proved that this land was yours. I can't give you this land back, you know, but you want your money back because he spent eight million pounds at the time. They offered him the money back and he said, no, I don't want the money back. I want another plot of land. And they said, we're not going to give you another plot of land. He said, okay, can you give me this swamp like it was a lagoon but.
Speaker 5: It was literally a swamp.
Speaker 6: And everybody laughed at my dad and they were just like, swamp, what are you going to do with his fun? He said, don't worry about it, give it to me. Because my dad was, as I said, he was such a brilliant man and he was full of thinking and his mindset was if I can build something where there was never nothing.
Speaker 5: Then no one could ever say that was mine, or he stole it from me, or he did this, and he did that.
Speaker 6: And so he raised a lot more money and invest a lot more of his money, and they gave him the swamp. And that's when he hired Dutch engineers and other engineers from other parts of the world and minority who designed the World Trade Center, and they started dredging the foreshore to build an island, to make a man made island. And so again I was born at this time. So when I was born, I was going into the wealth. I was born into, you know, traveling the world. We had drivers and we had cooks, and we lived on a company. Didn't live in a house. We lived on a compound on Victoria Island, which is like the equivalent of Beverly Hills or Cornado Anthons. We lived a life love Me and my brother. We went to a very prestigious private school. And I remember when my dad would.
Speaker 5: Come pick us up and walk the halls or people.
Speaker 6: Would like like literally bow to him like cheap hatty Lake and you're excellent, and call him all with these cool names. I'm just this little kid. And so that was the life that I was essentially going into. We didn't work for anything, Remy.
Speaker 2: I really want to know more about your time in the Navy Seals. And I have to tell our listeners. And I know you already know this because we've talked about this my wife and daughter and I fell madly in love with you watching Special Forces World's Toughest Tests on Fox.
Speaker 1: But please, please, please.
Speaker 2: Please, Remmy, can you tell us a little bit more about you know, your time in the Navy Seals and like, is that where you saw human trafficking becoming an issue?
Speaker 3: Did you see?
Speaker 5: I mean I was, and I wasn't.
Speaker 6: So I was in a sense that when I was overseas doing missions, we would hit houses if we would go out the targets, big, big time guys. And they had wives who were twelve He's a thirty forty year old man. They had multiple wives who are twelve, thirteen, you know, pregnant, you know, and fourteen fifteen, And so you know, it's.
Speaker 5: Hard for me to say that's human trafficking.
Speaker 6: But at the same time, I want to be careful about you know, I don't want to offend, but you know, certain cultures, you know, it's it's acceptable and certain cultures, girls and women aren't property.
Speaker 5: It's a second class set.
Speaker 6: And so you know, so for me as an as an American, you know that to me is a form of trafficking. And you know what, and we'll get down into it later, but that happens here in the States, yes, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and on a big world.
Speaker 6: As a matter of fact, you know, the United States drives the demand for sex trafficking. We are the biggest, you know, culprit as it relates to utilizing materials and victims of sex traffic, materials that are that are used, that are created with sex traffic victims, underage kids. So America drives the demand. A lot of people don't realize that, but we do. And so it happens either. But it happened there, but in a different way. I didn't have the when I was overseas. I didn't get the opportunity to serve, serve in northern Iraq where the guysds you know, were But I mean, you know the story from our shortcom that's that's a true event, you know that I believe it was. Toowenty fourteen was the last genocide that was documented. Body willin considered a genocide Bobby Willing and Gazes people.
Speaker 5: The men were murdered, the old women were murdered.
Speaker 6: And the young girls were taken and used as sex slaves and traffic for organ harvesting, and we used the labor right.
Speaker 5: And so I didn't get a chance to serve.
Speaker 6: In that area, but I do have a really really good friend of mine who did.
Speaker 5: He served with some Gazes people.
Speaker 6: He ended up up unfortunately, he ended up killed on Operation Charlie Kete.
Speaker 5: But you know, so I'm sure he was exposed to on that level.
Speaker 6: But again going back to my original answer, yes, I would say from through the lens of the westerner an American, but through the lens of somebody in the particular cultures where operated.
Speaker 5: And that's not being trafficking to them, but to me it is explainkery right, R.
Speaker 6: Take somebody against their will and forced them to even to whether it's marry you.
Speaker 5: For some.
Speaker 6: It's slavery. You know, there are times when I even the term human trafficking because I feel like it borders down what it really is.
Speaker 5: It's slavery.
Speaker 3: Slavery, Yeah, it's slavery exactly. That's what I was going to say, because you know your movie, you know, Unexpected, the short film that you were just talking about. That movie is all about Oregon harvesting, which was I mean completely mind blowing to me. And how it starts one place and then it takes you back, you know, within hours of how everything transpires, and it's all across the world that this is taking place, you know, where someone is supposedly gaining something but someone else is losing a life because of it. Can you talk to us a little bit about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's one that I would say, I gravit sate dude. I'll back up and kind of say how I kind of got into it. So after I got out of the seal teams in twenty sixteen, I was, you know, volunteering with a lot of different nonprofits, you know.
Speaker 5: The type of nonprofit that kept on.
Speaker 6: I kept on getting reached out to by contacted buying these a different nonprofit, different or human trafficking nonprofits. You know. One year, Slave to Nothing reached out to me and said, hey, we're we're doing a fundraiser for your human traf and I never heard of, I never heard of from the traffic. I was like, you know what, but I was like, yeah, whatever, I'll go help out with that. Then there was another human trafficking nonprofit out and Sacramento. I can't recall the name them of it, but they reached out to me and it were just like, hey, can you come up and help us out and partner or partner with us or human drafting see you hear your Navy seal and you got this background and come help out. And I was like sure, like I'll go. And it just kept on happening and happening, and then finally, I want to say it, around two thousand and seventeen, I got contacted by specific human trafficking.
Speaker 5: Nonprofit that partners with former.
Speaker 6: Special Operations guys and former agency guys and women and former analysts a.
Speaker 5: CIA, d I and all these you know.
Speaker 6: Say people, and they go into other countries and here in the US. So they operate both in the US but also in other countries to help rescue children drafting sex trafficking. Now, because of international laws, of course, they can't just operate you know autonomy, right, and so you know, the targets that they go after are targets We're Americans. So they target broccos where Americans travel to.
Speaker 5: To have sex with underage girls.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of how they're able to essentially carry out these raids.
Speaker 5: And so they sent me a video, one of the one of the contacts.
Speaker 6: They sent me a video like it was actual, like a documentary and actual footage.
Speaker 5: And I saw it and I showed it to my wife.
Speaker 6: And my wife so I was a doctor and our right, you know, because she hears it's these crazy stuff. She used to work in community and medicine and now she works with Charlotte, and she said, I don't care, really, whatever you gotta do, whenever you get wherever you gotta go, and whatever you gotta do, you do something. You put your skill set to use and you go get these savages. And so like Roger that, and so I signed up and I started working with this particularly human trafficking nonprofit. And you know, our job was to go into these places and my job in the seal teams, I was a humid guy. I was a medic but I was also a human guy, which stands in human intelligence. So I kind of led the best of both worlds. Like I took work on like the agency side of things and running sources and building intelligent packages and Espona and tradecraft and all the other stuff and using that to essentially build mission packages to go after bad guys. But then I also got to go in the missions and kick down doors, so I was able to kind of utilize that skill set in the human trafficking side of things. And and I just remember, you know, going down at dr and just sing and saying I was we were in this particular slum where the parents sell their daughters to traffickers, right, and I.
Speaker 5: Remember walking through this particular slum. I was just like a shock. I was just ack.
Speaker 6: And our job at this particular, this particular job, and I'll say that at.
Speaker 5: The airports was not more.
Speaker 6: That was not much of kicking down doors and getting traffickers arresting kids. Our job was essentially talked to the parents and just say, hey, listen, this is what's happening to your daughters, like you need to stop doing that, and to also give give the family's resources so that they wanted to sell their daughters and they knew what was happening, but we had to really like, hey, these are your daughters.
Speaker 5: Like he.
Speaker 6: And I remember this one guy who was a liaison. Of course, he lived in dr.
Speaker 5: And he saw a frustrated.
Speaker 8: And he pulled me as oude and he's like, because I couldn't understand.
Speaker 6: It, and he pulled me aside, and he pulled me into this chapel. And in this chapel at the end of the chapel, the chapel was no bigger than the size of two like handicapped toilet stalls like that was like the chapel wasn't big at all.
Speaker 5: At the other end of the chapel was his dead baby basket that had just died. A baby. It was probably about six months old.
Speaker 6: And he explained to me that the reason why the baby died was because the mother, you know, she wasn't getting enough getting enough food assessments to have milk dried up, and so she was getting flowing and mixing in the flooring.
Speaker 5: With the local water.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, order it and it's slum. It's not consumable, and that's ultimately what killed the baby. But he was saying, reymer, this is their plight. Either they sell their one daughter and get money on a consistent basis from what their daughter's doing, or all their children died. Wow, And that really put things into perspective to me, and when I came to realize that that moment was whether on the trafficking side of things or whether the victim. It all comes back to desperation, like the parents are desperate for resources and the traffickers, which it's still evils.
Speaker 5: It doesn't justify it. They're desperate for money. There's so many people that are not even aware of it. You know.
Speaker 6: Human trafficking alone is a multi billion dollar industries. Is estimated to be one hundred and fifty billion dollar industry internationally, thirty five plus billion our industry in America. Okay, organ harvesting, it's really really hard to predict how much, but we know that it's definitely a multi billion dollar industry.
Speaker 5: But it's just it flies.
Speaker 6: It's hard to predict because victims often die, you know. And these traffickers are so sophisticated. These organ harvesting rings are very, very very sophisticated.
Speaker 5: These they have endless resources and money weren't into this, into this, and it's just it's things. People are so intelligent.
Speaker 6: The majority of people who are part of these organ harvesting rings, what are they?
Speaker 5: The doctors, Wow.
Speaker 6: The nurses, they have to be As a matter of fact, there was an organ harvesting ring that was busted in Cairo in twenty sixteen. A lot of people don't know this, but Cairo, Egypt is the organ harvesting capital of the world, which.
Speaker 5: A lot of people don't know.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Do we know why Cairo.
Speaker 6: Is because of the migrant situation? The migrant situation, so you have you have people from different parts of Africa that are trying to and in the Middle East that are trying to get to Egypt.
Speaker 5: Where are moving up from Africa.
Speaker 6: To thea You're kind of similar to how you know here that we have a lot of people from South America, Which.
Speaker 5: That's a whole conversation.
Speaker 6: I mean to talk about how the migrant has created this massive human trafficking. Just conline were going to border. It's forrific. But so that's what's happening in ANGP. We're getting a lot of people that are moving from Africa and even different parts of the Middle.
Speaker 5: East to try and move in Egypt, to move north into Europe.
Speaker 6: And so these people get trapped there and they get desperate and they get promised, hey, you know, we'll figure a way to get you into Italy or get you into Spain or wherever the kids may be.
Speaker 5: But it's going to cost you. It's going to cast you a thousand dollars. A thousand dollars to them is like one hundred million dollars to us.
Speaker 6: This and that goes back to desperation and the poverty situation and how poverty drives a lot of this, and these victims being so desperate and so they get caught up and selling their organs.
Speaker 5: And that's why Cairo, Egypt.
Speaker 6: Egypt is an organ happened carbs and capital of the world, and it happens so much because so many people kind of consolidate there to move into other parts of the world, and they end up getting trapped and they end up getting desperate and finding.
Speaker 7: They end up bringing up for organs.
Speaker 6: These particular the ring that was busted and the way it was busted was in an Indian was this woman who was in this low cast system. She received an email from this particular website saying, Hey, are you looking for a job. And again, the perspectives are so different because when somebody in a low cast system gets an email for a job, whether even if it's just a cleaning job that can change everything.
Speaker 2: Right, right, change the world.
Speaker 5: And so she.
Speaker 6: Got this email and she's like, oh my god, yes, but she had to move up to.
Speaker 5: I believe it was New Deli.
Speaker 6: I could be wrong, but you have to move up to a different part of like a city, part of Indian And so she gets there and there's an apartment waiting for her and the liaison, the guy who was the who's actually trafficker. She said, all right, you're going to start work tomorrow, but before you start working, I need you to go a physical. So she doesn't know any better. She's happy to have her job. She goes to get her physical into the room, the door closes on the other end of the rooms. The doctor and the nurse kept. What saved her life was her attentiveness because she heard the nurse say to the doctor before he was getting ready to come in, this is the one that's giving the storings.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, And.
Speaker 6: She jumped up, got dressed, and she booked out of it, alerted the police.
Speaker 5: And that's what essentially exposes.
Speaker 3: Or in Bugustin ry wow, and saved her life and.
Speaker 7: Saved her life.
Speaker 2: So this particular case irma Martinez. She was I believe nineteen years old at the time in the Philippines and she was brought over to America with a wealthy you know, Filipino family that came to America and essentially Irma was there living made for nineteen years. But really she was enslaved for nineteen years, basically, and you know, she'd send money, she'd get gas lit. You know, she wasn't even allowed to leave the home or say things right, And she did survive, she did get out. And I'm of course jumping a bunch of you know, a bunch of the details, but it was because one of the sons, his girlfriend who would become his wife. They weren't married very long. But she saw something, Sherry, Yeah, Sherry, and she's like, this doesn't feel right.
Speaker 3: That is the bulk of the story is this one person saw that this was something was wrong here, and she did something. She said something, you know, she she spoke up, you know, and I and I think that's what we all have to do, you know, And when we think about the bigger picture, he said.
Speaker 5: Something that I don't want to lose. I'll lose it. We can all make a difference in this fight. Yes.
Speaker 6: And you know, I get people that reach out to you all the time and they say, I want to go on issues and kill these guys, do this.
Speaker 5: And do that.
Speaker 2: That's not what it's about.
Speaker 6: No, that's you know, it's it's so many roles that can be played, and that that's not that's not the role. And you know the fact that the girlfriend saw something, recognize the signs and send symptoms of the traffic victim that saved Herma's life.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, that was That was why I.
Speaker 6: Made the film, because I wanted people to you know, see the film, see that this stuff goes on, or like you share m a story, yes, and then from there begin to do something. And doing something can be as simple as like, Okay, I'm going to listen to this podcast, or I'm going to find podcasts on human trafficking, or I'm going to dive deeper into Erma's story to learn more about Erma's story and find out what happened, or this is a big one, I'm going to find a reputable, reputable human trafficking website, go to their website and take their classes on how to recognize the signs and symptoms with a traffic victim.
Speaker 5: Because there are signs being controlled.
Speaker 6: The sense that somebody is being controlled, marks on a person's body, with somebody is when you see them. And even the kids at school and they're sheepish, always quiet. They don't feel like they can speak because they feel like they need permission to speak. I mean, and that just doesn't just go for kids, that goes for men, that goes on that note, I'll share a story. A woman of Delta Airlines, right, she went on the website one day and she studied the signs of a traffic victim, and she saw this kid on a plane and every time she walked by she saw this kid was like whiet. This kid was kind of looking around, nervoush The kid was a very very sheepish. The kid wouldn't speak. Even when she came and said would you like peanuts?
Speaker 8: The kid looked at at the dad and the dad said either yes or no, and then the kids said.
Speaker 5: Yes now, which is normal. She trusted her guts, she trusted her training, called ahead. When a flight landed, I guess the police were at the UH at THEE at the play and.
Speaker 6: Come to find out that child had been abducted and was being traffied, so you know, going back to earn a story. You know, we can all make a difference. We could all make a difference in this fighting by just studying, looking, researching here and more, attending classes with short classes, and we can all realize what it is. And most of the time it's not as applicator asks exactly.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: It's because of the Sharrys of the world, right, It's because of the people who see something and say something. Of what you're doing, Remy, like you said, like everything you've been through has led you to this moment. There is a reason you're a storyteller. There's a reason that you're in front of the camera and behind it. It's because you're here to make a difference. And each one of us can do something.
Speaker 3: And Remy your book the title Transformed, I mean, that is what it's all about, right, Like how you continue on your journey. Things happen to all of us, but it's how we move forward and move onward, you know, as always on facing evil, we always like to end with a lightness, you know, like how do you through all the trials and tribulations you know that you've been through in your life. How did you get to the light or how do you did you stay in the light or how did you find the light?
Speaker 5: Well, my mom, I mean that's the top of mind answer.
Speaker 3: Same with us, ma'am, Yes, same with us.
Speaker 6: She always reminded me when I was selling drugs and doing all the crazy stuff that I did in the Bronx.
Speaker 5: You know, my mom would always.
Speaker 6: Remind me of my name. And I brought that up earlier, and she would always say, Rendy, that's.
Speaker 7: Not you, like like you're.
Speaker 5: Acting like someone you're not. This is who you are, this is who your father was.
Speaker 6: And she would always beat into us this importance of hey, you're excellent and needed to walk that out. And so, you know, I had a spirit. I had a constant example of what.
Speaker 5: It meant to persevere.
Speaker 6: You know my mom, you know, she worked multiple jobs to provide for us. They were times where she didn't have enough food to be herself.
Speaker 5: She had just enough food to be my brother.
Speaker 6: And I, you know, I watched my mom just never quit, ever, ever quit. As a matter of fact, I'll share the story that Dan shared the book. After my dad died, my mom had she had still has a cousin who a wealthy, very wealthy lawyer, and my dad called him up because she had no money left when she came to she had no money left after she buried my dad, and she called up her cousin and said, hey, can you just loan me some money.
Speaker 5: Like just until I can beat myself on because I don't have a nipple to my name. He said, all right, let me call you right back.
Speaker 6: Five minutes later, his wife called my mom and she said to my mom, how did you call up my husband? And asked her for Monday? Who do you think? Who do you think you are? Don't you ever do this again? And hung up the phone with my mom. My mom just want her husband. And then now she went to her family member, her cousin who she grew up, who my grandfather helped raise because.
Speaker 5: His dad was abusive, and he says no to her.
Speaker 2: She could have quitted right then, yep.
Speaker 5: And somehow she just put one in front of the other.
Speaker 6: So for me, when it's like, hey, you know we're want to be an eavy sit I'm going to be a freaking navy ship.
Speaker 5: That was hell, you know I want to I want to be a filmmaker.
Speaker 6: Freaking get out the seal teams or thirty forty now or thirty five or six, whatever it was.
Speaker 5: And I want to thrive and be a filmmaker and start from the bottom.
Speaker 6: Everybody in Hollywood telling me, no, Hey, I'm going to freaking work for the little walk.
Speaker 3: It's going to happen, Yes it is, Yes, right. This has been an incredible, incredible interview with you. We are just so humbled that you took time out of your busy schedule to speak with us.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Remy A delek Mahalo Nuiloa. Thank you so much for joining my beautiful sister and I on facing evil, but more importantly for sharing your story and helping us tell Irma's story and teaching us that everyone has unlimited potential.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, thank you. Thank you so much for having me there. Thank you somewhere for having Lassia. I greatly greatly.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you both.
Speaker 2: Today's message of hope and healing goes out to the helpers out there, like Shery Bhutang, who initially reported that Irma was a human trafficking victim. Cherry spoke up for Irma and fought for her to be rescued after years of enslavement.
Speaker 3: Yes, so if you see something, say something, you can call the National Human Trafficking Hotline twenty four hours a day, seven days a week at eight eight eight three seven three seven eight eight eight. You can also text the word help to two three three seven three three. Cherry Beutong saw the signs and said something and gave Irma her freedom back.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, Sherry. Our emua goes out to you and to Irma Martinez. You are both shining examples of perseverance and hope. Onward and upward.
Speaker 4: Emua e moua.
Speaker 2: Well, that's our show for today. We'd love to hear what you thought about today's discussion and if there's a case you'd like for us to.
Speaker 3: Cover, find us on social media or email us at facingevilpod at Tenderfoot dot tv.
Speaker 2: And one small request if you haven't already, please find us on iTunes and give us a good rating and a good review. If you like what we do, your support is always cherished.
Speaker 4: Until next time. Aloha.
Speaker 1: Facing Evil is a production of I Heart Radio and Tenderfoot TV. The show is hosted by Russia Peccuerero, in Avet Gentile, Matt Frederick and Alex Williams our executive producers on behalf of iHeartRadio, with producers Trevor Young and Jesse Funk, Donald albright In Payne Lindsay our executive producers on behalf of Tenderfoot TV, alongside producer Tracy Kaplan. Our researcher is Carolyn Talmadge. Original music by Makeup and Vanity Set. Find us on social media or email us at Facing Evil pod at tenderfoot dot tv. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio or Tenderfoot TV, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows