Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio American Century, and we want to thank them. They've been great host. Gave us a great vantage point here with that's not cgi behind me. That is the way it looks every morning here Lake Tahoe. The mountains don't look real. That water looks really really cold, and it is from sources close to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin, the back drop looks like a Bob Ross painting.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, all right, fine with that. To meet Friday. Give us the menu, Dylan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then we're having barbecue today. So we got smoked chicken, green chili dip. Okay, party ribs, your old nickname, Texas twinkies, and smoked prime rib.
Speaker 1: What is it Texas twinkie?
Speaker 3: I think it's almost like a Hall of Peno popper wrapped in bacon.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, little cream cheese.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: We had oreos yesterday wrapped in bacon. That was insane.
Speaker 2: I didn't think I was gonna like it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, the oreos fine by itself with bacon, But you know what, I'm going to look for that in the supermarket.
Speaker 5: See if they got bacon oreos.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the first five that you had or the second five? What were the seventh or eighth one?
Speaker 2: I realized I really liked the.
Speaker 1: Stat of the day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Get ready for the Tour de France. Bike shorts. You know I had bike shorts? Had I did?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: I don't wear them anymore. But the Tour de France on Peacock Action gets underway tomorrow. You can see your peacock ten am Eastern only on Peacock. This is when I did the bike trip from Atlanta to New Orleans with my wife. I got the whole gear. Yeah, I got the whole gear. I was the dance Armstrong Lance Armstrong dancing. So I did with that, Thank you, thank you. But my wife goes, you got to get bike shorts. I said, why don't they just make the seat comfortable? How about that? I don't need to ride the bike that they ride in the Tour de France. But my wife is like, you need your really gonna need bike shorts. I said, uh, man, this is revealing here. She goes, Oh, nobody's gonna be noticing. I said, wait, anute, what are you saying about? Wow? Okay, thanks son, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: A couple of follow ups here, Dan, did you also have the tight shirt to go with the tight Yes you have to, Yes, you do. How about the clip in shoes?
Speaker 1: Yes? I did, Yes, I did.
Speaker 6: I need a picture.
Speaker 1: Uh wow, the iteam's on it. I think I weighed like one hundred and fifty pounds. But okay, it's five hundred miles from Atlanta to New Orleans. And this is where you know, you get talked in when you're in love. They can talk you into anything. And my wife goes, God, wouldn't it be great if we took a bike trip? And I go, okay, where, well, how about New Orleans? I go, wow, far is New Orleans? I think it's five you know. When she says I think it's five hundred miles, I go five hundred and she goes, yeah, like the Spanish moss. We'll see you know, all those great homes in Mississippi and New Orleans is going to be great. And I go, wait a minute, five hundred miles. I have six days we're gonna be doing what ninety miles a day? And she goes, yeah, you know, give her take, And I go, that doesn't sound like a vacation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marvin, you're exaggerating. From Atlanta to New Orleans, it's four hundred and sixty nine miles.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, you got me. It felt like five hundred miles, five hundred miles, one hundred. Yeah. I just didn't walk five hundred miles. I rode five hundred miles. We get to New Orleans and I remember I said to my wife, I will not get on that bike ever again. She had to pack up the bike, and then we took a train back to Atlanta. Yes, Dylan, Yeah, I don't want to do that drive bike there. Well, we were in shorter, Alabama, and I remember that there was a short cut that would cut off twenty four miles, but we had to go on the highway. So like this is like three or three lane highway. You know, Semi's going by, and you'll just I'm peddling as fast as I can because we were worried that we could get like twenty miles in and then they would make us go back to square one and make us take the bike route. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dyl there's nothing that says romance like a nice hot bike ride on the highway in Alabama.
Speaker 1: And I loved her. In the morning, I would talk to her. I didn't talk to her during the entire afternoon, and then later on I would start to have a conversation with her again. We would go into these towns. One night, we stayed at a hotel where it was Prom night, so it was loud and late on Prom night, and everybody was having a good time but us. And I remember getting a bag of ice, you know when you go into those convenience stores, and I put the bag of ice on my knees just to cool them off, like Doctor J and the Seven Yes, when Doctor J used to dominate and then he put ice on his knees. That was kind of how I felt with the tour to Dance. Yes, yes, phone, you missed your electric bike window. Those things seem that that fixes everything. No, my wife would not allow that. We were pedaling. We were pedaling and you just look, you know, you're a mess. I mean, there's nothing glamorous about you know, these bike trips unless you go to France, where they will have a van. You put your bike in the van, they take you out to an area. You will ride fifteen miles twenty miles. They pick up the bike and then take you back to your luxury hotel. And I said to my wife, I'll do that. Like my brother went to the Dolomites, he went to Japan, like he went to all these exotic places. But he's a madman on a bike. I never got on that bike again. It's still in my garage. It's hanging up. I retired that bike. It's up in the in the rafters. They raised my bike into the rafters. Yes still? Or yes? Marvin?
Speaker 4: Have you ever held that over your wife's head, like, say you didn't want to do something? Oh, come on, I rode a bike from it landed in New Orleans for you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think I did for a little while. And then she told me to grow up. And I said, okay.
Speaker 2: Did you hit you with the I gave birth to four kids.
Speaker 1: No, she wouldn't do that. She yeah, she could, but she didn't. Yes.
Speaker 3: Still, that's also like, this is not a leisurely bike trip, like you're doing ninety miles a day.
Speaker 1: That's that sucks, honestly. And I think we saw Spanish moss for about eleven seconds. We went through Mississippi, and I remember I'm on the bike and all of a sudden, I see this pit and it's out of the house and he is coming hard. And then there's a fence, and I go, ohhw okay, Well the fence doesn't go all the way around the yard. It's just in the front. So I'm going, what kind of fence is that for a pit bowl. He goes to the side and my wife said, don't pedal. So I'm just coasting. I take out the bike pump because I'm thinking, now he's right at my ankle. If I pedal, you know he's got me. And so I just, you know, kind of gliding holding that bike pump because I'm thinking I'm gonna have to smack this guy. And then all of a sudden we got to a certain point where he must have known he can't go past that, and then he he retreated. I still see the teeth on that guy. He wanted a piece of me. Oh okay, France beat Morocco to nil. I did watch some Summer League, of course. I did aj Debantza and Darren Peterson. This was fun. Now I get caught up in Summer League play. You know when you go to bed at like eight thirty, you know, when you're on the road. You're on the West coast, You're out here, and this was prime time, so I'm able to watch. Debansa goes for twenty seven, Peterson has twenty four. And these two are going to be interlocked the rest of their careers because they played each other in high school. They combined for one hundred and eight points in a game. They come into college as the number one and number two ranked players. They competed with each other in the Big Twelve, they were the first and second picks in the NBA Draft, and then last night they went at it again. But it was fun to watch. But I will caution you because Glenn Rice Junior in twenty fourteen the MVP of the Summer League. He played sixteen regular season games before his career ended. Denzel Valentine of the Bulls Clutch Buzzer Beaters in the Summer League in twenty sixteen, he fell out of the NBA rotation, and who can forget Josh Selby of the Grizzlies co MVP twenty twelve, he was co MVP with Dame Lillard. Their careers went in different directions, but he played thirty eight NBA games over two seasons. We will talk to Austin Reeves the Lakers Guard a little bit later on, and we hope Steve Young will stop by before his round here today eight seven seven three DP show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, and once again the big German, his entire crew going on the road setting all of this up and here early, here often, and thank you again to all the people that made this possible, because well, you can't screw up the scenery here Lake Tahoe, but they gave us a beautiful and we're right off the driving range, and I am trusting these celebrities that nobody's going to take a shot in here unless they do it on purpose.
Speaker 3: Yes, Dylan, Yeah, are we incident free so far this week? Has anyone been hit?
Speaker 1: No? But why would you do that? I can knock on the table, knock on Ted Todd's head. We've had a couple that have been over here by the back part of the stage. But other than that, everything's good, and you know, not all the people out here are good golfers. And the gallery always does this. When I played at Pebble Beach, the pro am you would say, hey, back up and they laugh because they think, well, you're just joking. I'm like, I'm not joking, Please back up. And then I hit a stray into the crowd and all of a sudden, everybody started backing up when I was hitting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pauline, it does feel like Steph Curry's becoming the ambassador of this event. He's running around with the fans. Some kid gave him a sombrero and he teed off with it on. He shot a couple of baskets yesterday for the fans that.
Speaker 1: He's becoming quite Bill Murray, No.
Speaker 6: In the early stages of this being his thing, I can't.
Speaker 1: See him being a crazy, wacky guy. But I you know, he's accommodating because there's so many Warrior fans here and if you're looking at Jason Kelsey is the most popular player here, I think by far, because Okay, guys know him because he's a Hall of Famer, but there's little girls out here know him because he's on a podcast with his brother. And there is that Steve Young coming by. Does that look like Steve Young the Greatest Q yesterdays? Okay, oh that's right, nine or fam Okay, let me see anything else. I need to mention here. How about I take a break. We'll leave a little more time for Steve Young to join us, and we'll get to phone calls as well. I know that you know it's busy out here, so we'll try to accommodate as well. Update the polar results as well. We're back after this with the Hall of Famer Steve Young. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 7: Hey, this is Jason McIntyre. Join me every weekday morning on my podcast, Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre. This isn't your typical sports pod pushing the same tired narratives down your.
Speaker 3: Throat every day.
Speaker 7: Straight Fire gives you honest opinions on all the biggest sports headlines, accurate stats to help you win big at the sportsbook, and all the best guests. Do yourself a favor and listen to Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre on the iHeartRadio app Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You changed outfits.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: It's kind of be you know, dress like a good golfer. It's the most important thing. Dylan told me that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So there's a pay Stuart feel I'm pained watching you.
Speaker 2: And this is Prince Stuart.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, yes, point.
Speaker 6: I am so jealous of that outfit. If I play golf, I dress just like that.
Speaker 1: Okay. The pants look like what a jockey would wear.
Speaker 2: This is kind of that North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Oh Carolina blue line of blue.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I wish I want to go to foot locker right now and buy some light blue Jordans.
Speaker 2: But everything else it's working.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dylan, you got to be jealous of that outfit, you know me?
Speaker 3: Then I own multiple pairs of Argyle pants.
Speaker 1: Look good, by the way. In case you're wondering, the LA Olympics start two years from today. Ironically, the men's soccer will be in New York, Columbus, Nashville, and Saint Louis. He is a three time Super Bowl champ Hall of Famer and I think the third one of the three greatest left handed quarterbacks from the state of Connecticut as we make way for the two time NFL MVP, Steve Young is joining us on the program again. Yeah, looking looking official, looking believe anybody out give Fritzie some damp Dylan gets dom. That's nice. All class. That's what Steve Young is. He's he's all class. Oh yeah, And I didn't realize this, but I'm looking down realize it. And I didn't realize that you golf right handed.
Speaker 5: So it's a it's a dilemma. I think it was last year and my wife said, you suck so bad. You don't do anything else righty in your whole life. Nothing. Why don't you just play left? Because when I was a kid, my dad means streets of Greenwich, Connecticut. He had righty clubs and that's why I picked up and played ever since. And so she says, if I don't finish in the top fifty, I'm going lefty.
Speaker 1: You're going to change.
Speaker 5: I'm changing lefty. I told her. I said, look, I'm not trying to be a I'm not a pro. It's not my like. I scratched her out. It's for fun, you know. But she's a were you on the.
Speaker 1: Golf team in high school in Greenwich.
Speaker 5: I never played. I didn't play golf in Greenwich, I caddied, Why did I play golf? It's insane.
Speaker 1: I don't know in Greenwich.
Speaker 5: In Greenwich I played football, basketball and baseball.
Speaker 1: Because now, mean streets.
Speaker 5: There are mean streets in Greenwich. You just haven't been.
Speaker 1: There the other side of the tracks, right, have been.
Speaker 6: What my sister lives in Greenwich, Steve, And there's cops with white gloves directing traffic. And you know I'm telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, do you mean me?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Mean streets are just mean people on those streets.
Speaker 5: No, there's mean streets.
Speaker 1: Have you been to the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich?
Speaker 5: I grew up there.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's where I learned to swim.
Speaker 5: In fact, I was on the swim team for three days. I wouldn't open my eyes on it. I wouldn't. I wouldn't open my eyes underwater, and I kept ramming. I kept ramming the booie, you know, and they're like, bro, you gotta open your eyes or else you can't be like, maybe you try something else.
Speaker 1: Was that your first concussion that you have? What is more mental though, playing golf or being quarterback?
Speaker 5: Quarterback is look I went to law school. I had to memorize a bunch of stuff to go to law school. Memorization and the data retention, and then that's just before you get on the field, let alone everyone trying to kill you play quarterback. Is that it took every inch of yourself to do it and do it well. Golf, I mean it's hard, you know, when you when you're incompetent, it's really hard. But once you know, I see the guys that are really good at it. Being specifically great at it, I think is really hard. Being decent at it, I think is relatively But.
Speaker 1: The athleticism with golf, hand eye coordination.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's it's counterintuitive. To be honest with you, what I've been learning this last year I did. My wife put the thread on me, so I was like, Okay, I'm gonna go get some lessons. I'm gonna decon struck my whole swing, which is half the problem now. But I now realize you when you're on plane and everything's kind of the game can feel easy if you do it right. It's just hard to do it right.
Speaker 1: But when you compress the ball for the first time and you're like, oh, that's how it sounds.
Speaker 5: That is beautiful. But then I think that's what's funny about up here. And everyone will tell you once because if you don't compete in golf very often and you show up here and all of a sudden, it' said, you know, you got to put everything out and like, who's like talking to the DeMarcus Whereas like I didn't feel my hands for like five holes. You know, here's a guy. People say, well, you playing professional football fifty eighty thousand people, you know, college, what's the problem. It's like because if you had to go on stage and sing in front of fifty thousand people, you're incompetent in doing that, you'd be pretty nervous. And it's the same thing here, Like if you're not competent, it's your hands going numb, is it?
Speaker 1: I don't people talk about athletes talk about it like you can have good nervous, Like did you did.
Speaker 5: You have I'll call it competent nervous. Okay, Right, If you're really good at something and now you gotta go perform it, you get the creative tension going. You got it feels it feels like I'm ready to do it. If you're incompetent. Tension, that's a whole problem.
Speaker 1: Are you incompetent out here? Yes, so the tension is different.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, yeah, Oh you guys not listening.
Speaker 1: No, I'm listening. I wanted I wanted you to.
Speaker 5: Re enjoy you guys out there typing away. I wanted you to like there he.
Speaker 8: Pops his head up, like, oh, who is it?
Speaker 2: Who don't even know what's going on.
Speaker 1: I wanted you to reinforce that you're incompetent, you evolve. That's all I want to further clarification of it. That's all.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, I think what people like us don't understand. We are poor athletes, and we would be poor golfers. You are an all time great, all purpose athlete, and golf is frustrating for you. That's why it confuses people like us.
Speaker 5: That's fair and I and I can understand that. And there's a lot of time.
Speaker 1: But he was only good at foot ball, but really good.
Speaker 5: But what I'm saying is, you know, there's a lot of there's a lot of pro ams I play in and like memory whatever you know, And and I can always I can almost hear them thinking it like you're a great athlete. What's what?
Speaker 2: What's good?
Speaker 5: Why doesn't it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: I understand, it's just hard.
Speaker 1: It doesn't transfer, doesn't trans look.
Speaker 5: I think a hand eye coordination transfers and like. But if you pick up a club as a college kid and swinging it, like you have to learn golf as a kid, because then you can't control the club and you learn to swing it, and that's golf. And if you grab it as a college kid, what's the first thing you do? You just you just rip at it and it's never golf. It isn't you have to recreate it.
Speaker 1: But does it bother you that you're a Hall of Fame quarterback? But then you see Ryan Fitzpatrick who's not, but he's a better golfers.
Speaker 5: It's okay, damn it, Okay, I don't know where you're going with this. I'm okay with great golf. I love golf. I love fiddling with golf. I'm gonna get better at it. I might be lefty soon, but uh, you know, it's it's a past I love. I love it, and I'm okay if people are great at.
Speaker 1: It, I'm okay.
Speaker 5: I know you want to go further on this. I just like, no, no, no, I just think we're on a dead horse kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to get in your head and understand what makes you to I.
Speaker 5: Appreciate the comment because you run into people like, look, bro, what does she transfer everywhere? But you know, we used to play the affording nits us to have a basketball game. A team in the offseason would go raise money in high schools and we'd go play. And there's some guys that would play and you're like, wait, you're an amazing football player, but bro, like this ramon balls off the backboard and like what So it's the same kind of feeling. I think we're like wait a second, but I think basketball should translate, right, Baseball should translate. Golf is a little bit odd.
Speaker 1: Who is the best player on the Niners at playing basketball?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Terrell Owens was, Oh yeah, yeah. He strikes me as he wants to let everybody know that he could play and he didn't.
Speaker 5: Really care whether he wants to or not.
Speaker 1: He was going to do it. He where's he rank among athletes that you played with?
Speaker 5: Well, Jerry was a unique, fascinating athlete that just incompatable.
Speaker 1: But he wasn't fast, but.
Speaker 5: It wasn't, but that's what I mean. It was. He was just incredibly hard to find. He did things like he never left his feet, he caught everything and kept running shoe string catches. He'd never be to the ground, He'd run by everybody. You're like, wait, wait, why is that he he elevated when it was like he could do everything in a really unique kind of subtle way that snuck on everybody, and they never they never really got a handle on Jerry. Jerry was always open and he could change direction. That's the other thing. Jerry could change direction faster than any human that I ever saw. And that's full speed change of direction as a talent as well.
Speaker 1: Right, And you bring up a great point that you're right, I don't remember Jerry Rice ever had, you know, jumping high, getting off his like putting himself in a vulnerable position.
Speaker 5: He was always like he was smooth. He was smooth and but he was But you can't be smooth and great unless you're like great, like you can like it's in fact, many ways the greatest athletes in the world make it look easy. Scottis shufflers like bro golf is hard.
Speaker 1: By the way. He just missed the cut at the Scottish Open. Well, so golf is hard, yeah.
Speaker 5: But the greatest athletes make it look easy. And I think that's what's happening with uh, with Jerry, he made it look easy when it's not.
Speaker 1: But Moss might be as good as uniquely.
Speaker 5: Different right, the speed, the length, I mean, he was incredibly special as well. That's what I love about each athlete. Do they have unique qualities that are supreme or premier And you see different ones in different guys and uh, and I appreciate That's why I hate the bar fights of like who's who's the great? Like these are like these are special, otherworldly athletes, but we need we need this is for all right, we'll go go then go to the bar and fight.
Speaker 1: I'm good, No, but you don't want to be part of the conversation because you're one of the pieces in the conversation.
Speaker 5: Well, I also formally believe living it out that I refuse to not honor the unique gifts, supreme gifts that the guys I played with had to kind of start choosing side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, you're a competitor. If I say, do you feel like you're better than Dan Marino.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so where anyone who answers that question needs to just stand back and just go wait a second. I am not gonna do anything that. Like I watched Dan Marino. I was. I was a recruit at Army for my senior year in high school. I went up to watch Pitt play Army. Uh, and I was going to go to the I was going to be a cadet. I don't, I'm not. I guess I wasn't. But I was there for the weekend and they played Pitt and I remember Dan Marino was a freshman quarterback. He dropped back and through a late are like thirty yards and it actually came right at me. And I sit on the sidelines a little senior, you know, in high school.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I can't do this.
Speaker 5: Why I spent the next four years trying to throw it, like damn right on my arm sore. I couldn't get it really, but uh, but it's again, it's an appreciation. I refuse to get into conversations that doesn't evoke the appreciation of the greatness of these world class athletes.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, Marmon, Steve, do you ever feel like a lot of these modern quarterbacks like Vic and Lamar and guys that came after you stand on your shoulders. As far as being like a mobile QB, I hope I was an oddity. I was lefty, which made it even worse. Michael and I have really bonded over that. Michael Vick and I and and.
Speaker 5: A lefties are still an oddity, and so being an audity and a scrambler like back in the set eighties and nineties, like scrambler was like a dirty word. And Bill Walsh was the first one that turned you know, when he first talked to me that recruit me up there. He goes, look, I see your left handedness and your ability to move, move as that things are can unlock you to be one of the great players that ever played. And I was like, bro, where have you been? Like that is amazing? And then he just wanted to help me live that out. And it was not a time when no one really it wasn't the game. Today's game is that game, and you have to be able to move, you have to be able to run, you have to get the free yards. And so I don't I don't really say Michael and Lamar and like though I feel a kinship to their game. Like, I feel like we're in the same club and we're out fighting the same challenges, which is I break the huddle every time, and I might be the best one to hold the football and go do something with it at quarterback, which is an unusual no other quarterback in the history. It's like, breaks the huddle and goes, hey, hopefully I end up with it in some weird way, right, And so then again, but the game is to deliver the ball from the pocket. So if you're like, it's a it's a unique dilemma that no one really understands. Guys that didn't move around cannot talk about of how to become a great pocket passer, efficient, awesome, elite pocket passer and still retain this ability to move around and threaten the line of scrimmage. And so I if they stand on my shoulders, I stand on you know, I'm looking up at an appreciation for what they do in the uniqueness of how they did it, which is faster or stronger, better than I, you know what I mean, Like they could it was amazing. But I do feel the kinship for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always thought Michael Vick could have been a tailback.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the funny thing is like, it's like, if you're twelve years old, six' five and three hundred, pounds you're gonna pay. Lineman but there's some guys that could play quarterback that. Big i'm waiting for some high school coach OR. Jv koch or to see a huge human who can throw it and, go you know, what don't play? Lineman, Well Cam newton was pretty, Big, no BUT i mean big like like.
Speaker 2: That well remember they Lay.
Speaker 1: Kentucky oh, Yeah Jared lorenzo.
Speaker 5: Close, like but that BIG i know lineman that played in the pros that could throw it as well as, anybody but they weren't allowed to play the. Position yeah, Right and so in that, way everyone, wants you, know if you run around back in the, day you should play running. Back why why wouldn't? You you, Know it's, like well, no Because i'm playl. CHANGE i tell you you get. IT i spent fifteen twenty years of professional football trying to show that you could be an elite efficient quarterback and still be able to run. Around AND i think in that way we all kind of broke that.
Speaker 1: Spell, well, Right but there's a difference between scrambling and then making the defense kind of pay by going downfield Like Frank tarkington. Scrambled but you when you, ran you were going to make a. Threat, yeah the, Threat yeah you.
Speaker 5: Were AND i think that's that's what we're talking.
Speaker 1: About he is A hall Of Famer Steve. Young did we get off from a bad? Foot? Here it feels like we GET i don't, know get off a bad. FOOT i felt like The Gulf stone up FOR i don't, know DID I it's like we're brothers who argue a. LOT i don't mind, it, okay whatever we're, wrong like you, KNOW i, KNOW i. KNOW i just you're my.
Speaker 5: Favorite. Guess let's just chop it. UP i. Know And i'm okay with the golf Like I'm i'm. Today LOOK i. Taught it's like between forty and. Seventy that's kind of Where i'm. Gonna that'swear where it's WHERE i hang. Out like The, Sweets larry the cable, Guy Ray.
Speaker 1: Ramono are you better than?
Speaker 5: Them? YEAH i beat them most of the. Time, yes but it's like that's my that's my.
Speaker 1: Crowd could you Beat?
Speaker 5: Barkley i've always been last year HE i think he's. Better, yeah it'suna be. Tough it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Tough, yeah thinner better, Better, Yeah Larry, david do you think you could take?
Speaker 5: Him Is larry in the? CAR i think he was just. YESTERDAY i don't.
Speaker 1: THINK i don't know if he's holding. On They we have THE ceo of the tournament coming, up so, really, YEAH i gotta find out If larry he's gonna. Play larry couldn't find his. Bag he's walking. Around it's like an epis so to curb your. Enthusiasm yesterday's on the range thirty. Minutes he just kept walking.
Speaker 5: AROUND i think that's why he's a, genius is that it's his. Life that's why side fels it's like this is how we live and now film.
Speaker 1: It, yeah FILM i watch me walk. Around it's. Amazing what advice would you Give Sam darnold and The seahawks about trying to repeat you know?
Speaker 5: That really the biggest thing about the hangover is the hubris that happens when you win A Super, Bowl and it starts at the owner, usually and it goes through the management and the coach and like there's this beautiful thing that happens when you win A Super. Bowl it's like it changes you and and it changes everyone around you a little, bit and you have to fight. It you have to battle that perception and that new space you're in to kind of go back to work and go back to the humility of starting over. Again and so if YOU i would say To Sam, darnold AND i think he would approach it this, way, is, look what HAVE i done nothing this? Year let's go back to. Work let's go back and do something. Special and you but the problem is you say, that but you actually it's hard to get out of the blood you won The Super. Bowl like it changes and you have to battle. It and it's really. Leadership it's the top ten guys in the locker. Room you have to have some, gnarly gritty guys you know that are, like screw that last, year we don't want to hear, it and like that that becomes it kind of evokes that kind of feeling in the locker room where because you got to have to play in THE nfl and play, great you gotta be, tough you gotta be, gritty and if you win A Super, bowl a lot of times you lose that grit and that's why things go.
Speaker 1: South, Okay NOW i have a reason to keep an eye on your score because if you don't finish what in the top Forty?
Speaker 5: No, easy, now, bro how many are how?
Speaker 1: Many there's ninety.
Speaker 5: Ninety, yeah it's like in the, middle.
Speaker 1: In the, middle so forty five.
Speaker 5: In the, middle like we are.
Speaker 1: Around, yeah, okay but if you don't finish in the top forty, five the.
Speaker 5: Guy actually have an the. Problem hit a root yesterday my. THUMB i can't even feel.
Speaker 1: It, oh here we. Go i'm just, kidding here we. GO i figured we just.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah Paulie, dan you asked us to look up some stats About Steve young back In. GREENWICH i don't have this. Confirmed steve seventy nine You Greenwich High, School Fairfield County championships Versus.
Speaker 1: Darien is this?
Speaker 5: Football? Basketball? Baseball?
Speaker 1: Football?
Speaker 6: YEAH i got you losing seventeen to. Zero unfortunately this only staffy to fine. You Jay, chandler the opposing.
Speaker 5: Quarterback your, year it was it was we were we were, good we were.
Speaker 6: GREAT i got you with one hundred and twenty seven yards rushing in the.
Speaker 1: Game.
Speaker 2: Though that set me.
Speaker 5: Up to be a, well you know, WHAT i was supposed to be A dodger as you, Remember.
Speaker 1: Oh, YEAH i know that great baseball career that you. Had, Yeah tritchy, GOES i had Got Steve young playing baseball for The. DODGERS i go was The dodgers.
Speaker 5: Research no one's ever mentioned that you're talking To.
Speaker 1: Stevie, uh you only threw six times in that game you lost Seventy.
Speaker 5: High school Was, uh it was a we were. Played we ran the, wishbone so it gives you no.
Speaker 1: Wishbone and then you go TO, byu the passing capital of college.
Speaker 5: Football that's where everyone who had a dream of playing in the. Pros you either went To STANFORD byu Or miami Of. Florida those are.
Speaker 1: The guys that were could have.
Speaker 5: Been no one else was throwing, it nobody what.
Speaker 1: Else could have been for?
Speaker 5: You what could have? Been?
Speaker 1: Yeah all, right how about a round of applause for one of our favorite guys.
Speaker 5: On the best.
Speaker 1: Ever come, On marvin's a Big niner, fan SO.
Speaker 2: I really feel.
Speaker 4: Terrible my favorite quarterback of all, time And i'm over your dressed Like Bagger vance.
Speaker 5: Spitting. Image roll that the socks the socks. Over that's.
Speaker 1: Awesome how about we take a, break all, right, boys back after This Dan Patrick. Show thanks for listening To The Dan Patrick show. Podcast be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to Nine pacific On Fox Sports, radio and you can find us on The iHeartRadio app AT fsr or stream us live on The peacock. App played a round of golf With Steph curry in the. Morning SO i started off the conversation by asking him what it's like playing With.
Speaker 9: Steph, well it's unbelievably, exciting and it's got to be the most, intimidating intimidating guy to play with, here because the gallery that follows us around is absolutely. Gigantic but you, know he's you, know obviously he's amazing basketball. Player he's definitely going to be in the hunt for the tournament. Here and he's just so smooth and chill and zen like you, know when you watch him play, basketball he looks like he watches the game in slow.
Speaker 8: Motion same with. Golf he's just just smooth the whole.
Speaker 9: Time so really a wonderful, day unbelievable competitor and a real.
Speaker 1: Gentleman, okay how many basketball questions did you?
Speaker 5: Ask you?
Speaker 8: KNOW i figured he's kind of sick of.
Speaker 9: Him SO i asked a lot of a few basketball questions about career and salary.
Speaker 5: And dig court earnings With.
Speaker 8: RON i wanted to ask that, question BUT i avoided. IT i JUST i didn't want to put him in that.
Speaker 1: Spot, YEAH i, know and it feels like everybody Wants he knows everybody wants asking that. Question, Correct so he'll say to, Me, hey great to see, you BUT i don't want to do an, interview And i'm, like, like he does it in a nice. Way, yeah, yeah Like i'm assuming AND i, go, okay BUT i still want to, know like is he Recruiting lebron where he Thinks lebron's going to? Go there's some SEE i send you out there you should have been getting, on you, know a reconnaissance.
Speaker 9: Mission to tell you the, Truth there's two or three QUESTIONS i did not ask BECAUSE i know people are going to ask me And i'm a bad liar and everybody would.
Speaker 8: Know So i'm better off just not.
Speaker 1: Knowing who was the brainchild for this.
Speaker 9: Tournament So John miller started this thing back in the early. Nineties we've been around for thirty seven years. Now that was an unbelievable. Story even my first year twenty one years ago, here we used to have to hire people to stand in Downtown Lake, tahoe and we gave out free tickets to the event to try to get people to come and show up as fans and stand. Around and THEN i don't know if you heard this or, not but the last because it was two years, ago we had to actually put perimeter security in charge because we had people tunneling underneath underneath the. Fence they brought shovels and they tunneled in because we sell out now for you, know three of the four.
Speaker 1: Days who kind of gets you? Uncomfortable O, Verklempt like you get nervous around a. Celebrity last time that happened.
Speaker 9: Here last time it. Happened you, know there's just some big. NAMES i you, know WHEN i GET i look at all these. Guys, honestly you, Know steph would be right up there at the top of somebody WHO i have amazing respect. For but at this stage of, Life i'm just kind of pretty relaxed. Myself nobody's getting under my skin all that. Much and the better they, played the BETTER i.
Speaker 8: Play SO i was very.
Speaker 1: Helpful it felt like the White. Whale the last couple of years was Getting Larry david to come to the. Event, yes, okay he's, here he is, Here, okay is he going to stay? Here SO i.
Speaker 9: Walked over with him this morning and the first thing he says to, ME i, said thanks for Being he, goes who plays golf at seven forty five in the. MORNING i haven't played golf before ten am in twenty.
Speaker 8: Years this is you. Know he, goes why don't you have?
Speaker 9: Later two times AND i to explain how we haven't set. Up my guess is we're going to get him. Today maybe he hangs around. Tomorrow BUT i don't think we're going to get him in the. Tournament i'd love, to but it's you, know it's a lot of pressure out.
Speaker 1: THERE i don't know if you know, this But larry couldn't find his clubs. Today. Okay we watched him for thirty. Minutes it was like it was A Curb Your enthusiasm. Episode he's walking, around he cannot find his. Clubs SO i don't know if he's going to bring that up to, anybody but it was. Funny it was Just larry is Being, larry and he couldn't find his.
Speaker 9: Clubs it's probably one more reason he probably won't stay for the. WEEKEND i did watch him hit a few on the range and it was really.
Speaker 8: Funny it was right out of.
Speaker 9: The you, Know curb Your, enthusiasm and he hit it about fifteen yards and he goes like.
Speaker 8: This i'm, like, okay it was right out of one of the.
Speaker 1: Shows my Guy marvin started a chant last. Night you, know you gave Your state of The union address to, everybody and you were talking about TEAM usa winning the gold, medal And marvin started CHANTING. Usa so just want to let you, Know, marvin if you'd like to take credit for, It i'm kind of paraphrasing. Here you're.
Speaker 4: Welcome just two, words fifty Years. America they won the gold medal for the first. Time we said forty six. YEARS i think all of us kind of looked at each other like forty six. Years then they stood up and you, know they started. APPLAUDING i was, like you know.
Speaker 2: What YOU.
Speaker 8: I got a bad or a good. Feeling it's going to be a hockey.
Speaker 9: Year so today in The celebam the LAST i Saw matthew kachuk is in first. Place brady's out Here matthew said he's an amazing karaoke, player.
Speaker 8: But you know from last.
Speaker 9: Year and, then WHILE i haven't seen Matt boldi, play everybody tells me he's like a plus. Two SO i think we're going to see a lot of hockey players on the leader.
Speaker 8: Board and then funny.
Speaker 9: STORIES i don't know if you've heard the Whole kachuck, story BUT i had a watch party at my house the day of THE Usa olympic gold medal game and they. Win you, KNOW i got like twenty people at the. House everybody's jumping up and. Excited my phone's, ringing and you, know it's a lot of hockey. Friends and THEN i look down and one of them Is Matthew. Kachuck i'm, like oh my, god you, know grab the phone and, say, man it's Going.
Speaker 8: He, goes, well he just, won you, know so. Excitedly, yeah, YEAH i, KNOW i just saw. It we're, celebrating and he, Goes i'm here with my Brother.
Speaker 9: BRADY i, said, yeah he, Goes brady would really love to play in the. Tournament he literally just got the gold medal round this nock thirty minutes. Ago AND i, said look on behalf of three hundred and thirty Million. Americans you just made super. Proud right, now tell your brother he's welcome to. Come so It's brady's first. YEAR i understand he's not a great, golfer but he's going to really light it up a karaoke.
Speaker 1: Tonight Jonathan, Thomas, CHAIRMAN, Ceo, President American Century. Investments BEFORE i let you, go just the charitable. CONTRIBUTIONS i think people sometimes forget what this tournament stands for and what it's meant to this community another, Charity So i'll give you the. Opportunity thanks so.
Speaker 9: Much, So, yeah first of, all We're American Century investments around three hundred and fifty billion, dollars one of the larger asset managers in the. Country the thing that really and by, that we have mutual funds, ets, iras and we help people for college, retirement et. Cetera but the thing that really distinguishes us from all of our competitors is we direct over forty percent of our profits each and every year to medical research to The Star Wars institute For Medical. Research it's been about two point two billion with A b dollars that we've sent. There we support about five hundred and fifty signed working on twenty different cancer and other gene based. Diseases and then in addition to, that and this is just a platform for us to tell that. Story in addition to, that we've raised a little bit over eight million dollars for local, charities local and national charities that we distribute as well to the community. Here you may have seen what we did over For Tim wakefield a day or two. Ago so it's really it's just a perfect. Platform it's a perfect. Place the celebrities are, amazing the weather's, perfect and for us to tell our, story it's the eyes on.
Speaker 8: This i'm sure you know. Right we had five million viewers last.
Speaker 9: Year there's eighty five thousand people on the, course and it's just a, great great springboard for us.
Speaker 1: To tell the. Story thank you again for letting us be part of.
Speaker 9: It, yeah thank, YOU i appreciate. It you guys always have the best. STUDIO i know how you do this every, year but it's. Amazing it's five times bigger than anything. Else thank you.
Speaker 8: Guys thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me Jonathan THOMAS Ceo American century coming, Up Nate morgan And Austin reeves This Meet friday From Lake, Tahoe dan and The Danets Dan patrick's. Show we will update the poll results, also The rectech drills ready to. Go make sure you check them out at rectech dot. Com Final Hour dan and the Dan neuts right after this