Speaker 1: This episode is sponsible by game Time Ticket and App. The start of the NBA season is underway and you don't want to miss the hype atmosphere watching the basketball game live.
Speaker 2: Energy of the fans at the beginning of the season is incredible. And game Time has a new feature called game Time Picks that makes getting tickets to see your favorite teams play live even easier, and it filters out of the fluff to show you incredible deals on great seats so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets.
Speaker 1: I like using the game Time app when I want to attend a concert or comedy show. Game Time Ticket and App is the only ticketing app that gives you complete peace of mind with your purchase. I really like the all En pricing because it shows how much I'm going to have to pay.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the game Time app right now and it's easy to find different tickets and different price points. The NBA season is beginning and I know your favorite team is going to need your support.
Speaker 1: Take the guests work out of buying tickets with game Time Picks. Download the game Time App, creating account and use code green for twenty dollars off your first purchase terms apply again creating an account and redeem code g R E E N for twenty dollars off.
Speaker 3: Download Game Time Today? What time is it?
Speaker 4: Game Time?
Speaker 3: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome back to The Draymond Green Show with My Dog BD.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: Before we get into this episode, make sure you subscribe to The Draymond Green Show with Baron Davis so you don't miss any episodes.
Speaker 5: Follow the show on Twitter Draymond Show so you don't miss none of these major announcements. And I'm happy to introduce a brewing legend, NBA champion. Mister, I'm not a shot a tough shot taker. I'm a tough shot maker. See a bucket, be a bucket, certify, bucket getter, my dog, Los Angeles Clipper Guard and NBA All Star candidate Norman Powell.
Speaker 6: What was going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 7: Appreciate the interview and the intro. Man excited to be here.
Speaker 1: It's great to see you having a year. You haven't because I feel like every time we would play all you would bust our ass anyway, So it's good to see you doing it to everyone else now and everyone get a taste of what you've been doing to the Warriors for years, brother, but the year you haven't.
Speaker 3: Man, it's great to see.
Speaker 7: Him appreciate that. Man, especially coming from you, Man, it means a lot.
Speaker 3: Norm.
Speaker 1: I remember your pre drift workout with the Warriors, sitting in the locker room dropping you after the workout.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a minute ago, man, Damn ten years.
Speaker 3: I thought there was a chance. I thought there was a chance you would end double.
Speaker 6: Else that would have been See. The problem was back then I couldn't shoot.
Speaker 3: That is true, and we needed shooting at that time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I remember us at school at us C l A and like he was a slasher, defensive player. Just talk about really your evolution, you know what I mean from you know U c l A. Coming in as a dunker, highlight dude, to like your senior year being the score one of the top scorers on the team, and then your NBA progress.
Speaker 7: I think just the development piece, you know, I mean, especially going to UCLA, like all of us coming out of high school, he was a guy. You know what I'm saying, We're scoring, We're doing everything. King's playing through us, you know, going to u c l A. You know, I still thought I was going to be that be that guy. But being under coach Holland, you know, Holland was in the half court. You know, it was all defense, slowed down, grinded out run sets. You know, it really didn't tailor my game. But I thought those two years under him helped me defensively, and then when we got coach Alford, it really opened up my game offensively, you know. But I think still by that time, like I wasn't shooting the three ball that well, you know, still slashing transition getting to the basket, you know, getting on the rim, and then going to pre draft and working out, we did a high emphasis on just making sure my shooting was consistent. And we knew that, you know, for me to get drafted and me to make it on the NBA floor is going to be the defensive side of things. So I was just focused on that, you know, and then once I got my foot in.
Speaker 6: The door, it was all about showing them a little bit more.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I always felt like I was a scorer. I always was able to put the ball in the basket. I just wasn't able to do that and show that consistently in my college career and once I got a chance to do that. You know, the floor in the NBA opens up. There's nobody sitting in the paint. You know, they got a lot of rotations and things. So I think just going in the Summer League it really opened up my game fully, you know, and being able to show that I can score and I think I averaged twenty right off the bat in the Summer League and that really kind of put the eyes in that I can you know, don't have the ability to put the ball in the basket on the NBA level. And then it was just continuing to work, uh, you know, and learn, learn and grow the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Hey, before you say something, Trey, you know, you talked about the league.
Speaker 4: You talked about I solls like.
Speaker 5: You know, I like to throw on these icebreakers, you know, Norm you know before we move to the next you know this this is about you. But I got to talk about defensive players and my boy Draymond Green's play against Rudy Gobert walk.
Speaker 4: Them down Norman Powell style. You feel come dunk.
Speaker 7: Then on Monday night night night celebration, you feel well, mon that come from went back to the fount.
Speaker 1: Of you, you know, I don't dunk anymore. Man, if I have the opportunity, I just lay the ball up going run back.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: But I knew I don't know, man, I turned that corner. I knew I had to turn that on.
Speaker 7: The funny The funny part is it was the perfect setup because it was against Rudy too.
Speaker 6: It was against him. He's backing up to I know what time he's about to go at him.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, he started throwing elbow. He kept throwing elbows at me. I wasn't trying to cause no issues, and he kept throwing elbows at me. Bro even the one word where he flopped like man, man flop like before he took off.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: He threw this crazy boy. Man, I'm like, man, y'all keep that broth throw elbows at me. This is crazy. They don't know, man, Rudy, Rudy sneak, sneak dirty. Man, Rudy sneak dirty.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, Broud just be throwing elbows.
Speaker 4: But howd off? I want to know? I know you gotta walk, you gotta walk ups through the setup?
Speaker 5: What made you? You know what I mean? Like what you saw Rudy go bear? You know what I mean? So I know Norton though as an isold dude. Oh my god, this is the dude I have problems with on the island because because you went between.
Speaker 4: The legs, you had a bob about yourself.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna take you to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So we go to we go to the time out and Seth Cooper tells me like, yo, you should get it and go and like you're gonna have Rudy on you.
Speaker 3: And so I'm like, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm like all right, but I ain't about to say that to Steve, like, yo, Steve, get me the ball.
Speaker 3: So I'm like all right. Sure enough.
Speaker 1: He comes from behind the bench and he tells Steve, like, yo, you should get dra Like, get a ball to Draymond. He gonna have Rudy on him. He can just set the offense. Everybody else, Jaydon McDaniels, all they gonna be pressuring everybody. He's like, so, get the ball to Draymond. He can set the offense. And so I go in to it. I started going to tweing tween. Now what I'm initially thinking is he dropping I'm gonna hand this ball back to step. But once he started dropping, the step start coming up. I just took the rug rub screen, step said screen. I turned that mug over and then I hit him with the Night Night. And it's crazy because I really start doing the Night Night because I thought they called the file because Jade mcdaine's pushed the shit out of me, so I thought they called it and one, but I couldn't hear it. So I started doing the Night Night, and then I realized we needed to run back.
Speaker 3: And it's crazy. Kad text me last night.
Speaker 1: The first text I saw was Kate saying, Yo, you're a fool for running down at court full speed doing Night Night.
Speaker 3: I didn't know I blacked out.
Speaker 1: I didn't known til I watched the video.
Speaker 4: Many somebody.
Speaker 5: Wigte it was like at night Night mixed with a shock come back down the court.
Speaker 3: I appreciate.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the big fella and stuff and letting me do a rendition of what they do. Man, I appreciate it. Hey, Norm, speaking of going back to college, you just spoke about Coach Howland and I have an issue. You know, oftentimes teams have shoot around practices when they're in.
Speaker 3: L A U C l A.
Speaker 1: And every time I walk in that gym, I get offended, and I want to know how you feel about this.
Speaker 3: I get offended because.
Speaker 1: Everybody's on the wall is a first pick and it's just like it's no like respect for second round picks. And I look up there and I'm like, damn if I'm a second round Like if I went here, y'all wouldn't even have me on y'all wall. I think that's quite dumb. And so then I immediately think about you, Norman. I'm like, y'all not gonna have Norman Pollow y'all wall. Now you become an All Star this year possibly if that happened, and then it really looks stupid, like, wow, y'all don't have Norman Pollow y'all. I get offended every time I walk in there. So I just want to know how you feel about that. Because b D was just talking about man, I come into UCLA football game and Norman Norman go to that seat, I go to the ball, but that all got you on the wall, and I personally feel some type of way about that, So I need to know how you feel about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, I do feel some type of way about it, but at the same like, at the same time, like I respect the tradition of U s LA.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, Like you got like all time greats there.
Speaker 7: It's it's so hard to crack that that uh that door open, man, you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, Like even liked but BD is like you know.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying, They like on five points come out of there, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like you know, and but I ain't cracked nothing. Norm I ain't cracked nothing. I ain't got no final four.
Speaker 7: I ain't got saying so hard, like the requirements, like even like they have a setup. I don't know if you've been in like the like the poly hallway going to the basketball the men's side, like they have.
Speaker 6: A whole wall of like the All Americans and.
Speaker 7: It's like four time uh n C double a whatever like first election, it's e three time this And I'm like, dudes, ain't even like in school long enough to get that y'all. Neither one of y'all did nothing, Like the standard is so crazy. But the standard is crazy.
Speaker 5: I was I was gone dog beat it, but I did all. Yeah, I know I'm sparking. I know it's it's tough, bro, Like you know what I mean at U c l A is tough. It's just tough to crack that code. You gotta win the national championship.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like it's Kevin Love man, he would he like Russ Love, like we can go down the line like nobody like Drew.
Speaker 6: None of those guys Jersey will ever be retired.
Speaker 3: Who's the lost Jersey to be retired?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't ban it.
Speaker 3: Jesus Awesome.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety. Hey, hey, bro, I.
Speaker 1: Just want I just want all y'all to know you, nor Russ Kay Love Drew.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: I just want all y'all to know that you too, uh Loan, I just want to.
Speaker 3: I just want all y'all to know Bro. Y'all you know as.
Speaker 4: Far as I ask.
Speaker 5: Yeah, got y'all gotta get them ships up, you know what I mean, y'all gotta y'all gotta get them ships up.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: You without it, man, Literally, if you're not winning a championship, they're not even hanging up like anything less like sweet sixteens. Don't get hung up like the lead, don't get the final fours, none of that. If you the championship is not going and if it's ni championship whatever it is, like it's going to the student recreation center. Like we're not putting that up in poll. It's it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Come on, man, we we lead the universities and the most champions you know what I mean. We are a championship. You know, Draymond, you don't want.
Speaker 4: To do this. I don't want to do this right.
Speaker 1: Actually, know what's ironic about u c l A is we don't live too far away from l A.
Speaker 3: My kids like like DJ loves u c l A.
Speaker 1: And so it's it's you know, I'm staring at I don't worry.
Speaker 3: About it, Michigan State, you know.
Speaker 1: But he why I passed there every day and it's like, oh, that's u c l A. D that's u c l A. I go work out there.
Speaker 3: That's you c l A. Like Daddy, we're going to u c l.
Speaker 1: A samiliarity with it for him. But y'all, but I will say, as much as I love u c l A, I love the campus, I'm appreciative, Like, uh, it's it's it's going to be very hard for u c l A to reach that level of success again, like it's just too competitive.
Speaker 3: So why like what's happening, Like because.
Speaker 6: Y'all, my biggest thing is I think it's tough.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 7: We it's no knocking, Like we are tough with adapting to change, like the standard that John Wooden, like the pyramid of success, like the core found like foundation of Like the fans and like the donors and boosters and stuff are like so stuck on the old days, you know, and like the times have changed and how you recruit and how you get players.
Speaker 6: What's going to attract you?
Speaker 7: Like, yes, like being a champion and the history of USLA is still appealing and it's at an all time high, but a lot of players still don't have that mindset like I'm going to stay four years.
Speaker 6: I want to win an NT double, a championship, you know what I mean. I want to be Player of the Year.
Speaker 7: You know, they're trying to get to the next level, and like how can they do that the most efficient the fastest way possible. Like they're not really focused on the tradition as much as it was back in the day.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, what it.
Speaker 7: Means to be a bruin, what it means to be a spark night like and carrying that with you, you know, they looking at what is the best avenue to get me to that next level? So what the standards of what USLA has doesn't really fit where the game is today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for the modern day athlete.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was always say we gotta we got to remix the tradition, you know what I mean? And I think to j MOS's point, it's like we got to show that Norman Powe, Zach Levine, Jew Holliday, all of these people, right, even though they didn't win national championships at UCLA, but final fours, sweet sixteen's like whatever, however you've been decorated, should be you know, overmarketed, especially for these new kids coming in because they're still looking at you and coming up to you, especially you playing for the Clippers and being like, yo, I'm in LA. I can have the same career, uh Norman power.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: And so I think UCLA, you know, won the school shit kind of remix the tradition and we got to make sure that people like you are coming back, you know what I mean, Zo k Love, all these people are coming back. And and really so these young kids can be like yo, I want to go to u C. L A and I want to win, and then we get that influx of talent because people want to be, you know, closer to the stars.
Speaker 1: Were missing that, we're missing that exactly. These kids today don't know who ed Obanndon is. So you walk me in that gym and I look up. No disrespect to Ed O'Bannon by the way, but the young.
Speaker 5: Kid today, every every n I L kids should know.
Speaker 3: Every n I L kids should know who Ed O'Bannon is.
Speaker 1: But let's face it, these kids don't educate themselves on things like that, so we can say what they should know, but the reality is that they don't.
Speaker 3: And today's kids sadly don't care. And so.
Speaker 1: To the point, they don't know who Ed O'Bannon is. But even if they know who Ed O'Bannon is, they know who Ed O'Bannon is.
Speaker 3: From the trouble.
Speaker 1: The court and won, they wouldn't know about Ed O'Bannon and the basketball player that won in nineteen ninety five. And so there's a huge gap in between Ed O'Bannon in twenty and twenty four and like the guys you just named, and if you don't showcase any of those guys because of your tradition when John Wooden was there, Like the tradition is rich, but there's a big gap and you're just not going to attract.
Speaker 3: The top kids, like because.
Speaker 1: The kid today is just the kid today is impressed by something totally different than I was normal. It's like be they you're what ten years before us, But the kid today is even not impressed by what we were impressed by.
Speaker 3: Social totally different ballgame.
Speaker 1: And you gotta go all the way back to Ed O'Bannon and like that's how you go to hell to the kid. I just think that's going to be tough to do and compete at the level that y'all going to want.
Speaker 3: To compete that.
Speaker 1: So you're going to look up, it's going to be forty years and y'all ain't gonna have to nobody.
Speaker 3: And that's that's tough.
Speaker 5: I think every kid in I l it should have been three percent went to the Ad o bannon Foundation or something, because.
Speaker 7: That is that everybody. He is responsible. I got anybody now they're walking around with So come on, man, it's insane.
Speaker 5: N c AA all you know, And O'Bannon said, you know, and you just think about Bruin's Brewing Legacy. Shout out to Ed O'Bannon. You know, you know it's he just he just changed the game, you know what I mean. And to your point, Jay, there is a huge gap, and I think that the n C a A and U c l A and everybody should, you know, really think about, you know, what he did and the impact he has because it basically changed the whole way that we look at you know, n I am nor can you imagine you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Going to school now.
Speaker 7: With crazy like it was funny because you know I talked to the I say, young dudes now because I'm on year ten, it's crazy, uh like talking to Kobe and Jordan and Trenton and Cam the young guys we got on the team. You know they already got design on and everything. I'm like, man, y'a don't even understand the struggle that I went through. Man, Like my first my first for me, Like when I got to the league, I thought I was going to be living, you know what I mean, And like my first check was less than when I got in college, and when I got in college was five thousand dollars. You know what I'm saying. For till grant and I'm like, man, y'all around here with a hell cat. Man, I got proud of shoes on and LV bag go yard, this thing and the other. I'm like, man, I can't even imagine what it was like if I do that, because when we're like when we's in the UH in college into double A had the dumbest rules, like you get you can get bagels, but you can't get cheese. I mean, like it's an extra benefit to get cream cheese on a bagel.
Speaker 1: Is crazy, right, They don't understand the struggle, man. I always say when I when I first came into the league, Man, I was one day. I was one day away from taking the loan from one of my home boys, real worthy.
Speaker 3: He was about to look out for me.
Speaker 1: He had just got drafted in the second round to the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 3: And you know they get a signing boss, they get money right away.
Speaker 1: I ain't got no money from college and I don't get paid to November fifteen, and I ain't know when I was gonna, like, you know, second round pick, like yourself, so dang sign me till later in the summer. Didn't wait on the advance. I have no money and uh man, I I had I had to. I ain't have enough money to get a car, so I had to rent a car from its crazy. But because they because they would let me, because Enterprise would let me rent, and like the Warriors at the time, was able to take care of it. Because like just some rules of rookie, I end up with like a twenty some thousand dollars bill on Enterprise rental. I couldn't have put that sore as a car, but I couldn't afford to get a car, and so I had the bill.
Speaker 3: And then Jared Jack end up.
Speaker 1: Jared Jack had a lease a least range Rover twenty ten range Rover, and he had like nine thousand miles on it, so he was about to turn his lease back in.
Speaker 3: Jack, let me take over the lease.
Speaker 1: It was only like thirty seven thousand dollars left to pay on the truck of forty seven thousand dollars left on her incredible supercharge twenty ten range Roller.
Speaker 3: I'm like, man, Jack, I'll take that over.
Speaker 1: And I didn't have enough money to put on a down payment to get a car. So that's how I got my first car in the NBA. Like it was, it was rough. Man. I like, for a while, I ain't had no furniture. Then I got the advance. I was at the biggest furniture it was.
Speaker 6: It sounded just like just like me, man.
Speaker 7: I had from from pre draft to draft to why I had to go to Toronto. I had to get a rental card just like itself, and it was I remember it was a Chevy Impala from Enterprise and I had that for the whole summer. Man, and I had to take out a line of credit just to be able to pay the rental fee off and then just to have some money for I could be able to move and get my stuff to Toronto and everything like that. Man, it was crazy. I'm like, bro, this cannot be what the league is. Like, there's no way I got.
Speaker 6: Drafted and I still have no money in my pocket.
Speaker 7: And then the first check like man, that first check, man was less than what I got in college.
Speaker 6: Man, Like you know, a second round pick.
Speaker 7: I'm like, there's no way, but I'm getting taxing Canada and colleague, so like I got nothing, nothing.
Speaker 6: It was crazy.
Speaker 7: The only bonus I had is that in Canada, uh, the conversion rate, so like we're getting paid in the American and so you know, you got money coming into a Canadian account.
Speaker 6: And that money is double at the time. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: So like I knew my Canadian account, I'm like, oh man, I got money, now I can I got I got breathing room.
Speaker 6: But it was crazy.
Speaker 5: You gotta complain now because you're both paid. Were we well? We're doing well?
Speaker 1: The struggles, the struggles all speaking of the NBA. All by the way, before we move all the way on from u c l A. I love my Brewers. Shout out to my man, Bob Myers, Mattel Chips was hospital, they are investing their Shout out to them, right Eric, incredible man, Shout out to him.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of deep love for the u c l A. Bruis my brother.
Speaker 5: He definitely tapped in. He he tapped in. That's why DJ going to u c l A.
Speaker 3: I was smarting through it through but I got I got love for the Bruis.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the big ten fas uh you know, but you know, and speaking of now we're in the NBA. Earlier this year, you had an interview where you said that it's a dish a box attraction.
Speaker 3: Did you think it would become this big of a.
Speaker 1: Deal that you say that you play how you can play Philly, look how they like and everybody blowing that up?
Speaker 3: Like what did you think of that when you said that, did you know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 7: I didn't think it was gonna be as blown up as it was, you know what I'm saying, Like honestly, was just looking like as as just motivation, you know what I'm saying, get I'm finally get the opportunity, you know, Like I always felt like I was the guy that like the team's a lot on you know what I'm saying, as that X factor to help, you know, get us wins or push us over the top, you know. But I always had to feel in that, you know, I could be in that position, you know. And when I you know, the moves that were made and that opening was there, it was just like auditioned by subtraction because like I can I can feel that void, you know what I'm saying, Like I can be the one to step in and have that same production or impact, you know. And it was just like a mentality approach to it. It wasn't like the Stow shot at PG and and do all that. You know, it was just like like I'm here now, you know what I'm saying. I get an opportunity, you know, to be one of the guys that I've always wanted to be.
Speaker 6: But then you know, media takes it in and runs with it.
Speaker 7: You know, you got people talking about it, and then Philly starts the way they start, got people mad at PG for leaving, and then like it just turns into this like NORM versus PG. Norms playing better than PG. Right now the Clippers are better than the Sixers. Like it just turned into this whole crazy thing. And it was just like nah, like wet, like not only myself, but we got other guys who were scratching the corn is well. We had four Hall of Famers on our team, you know what I mean for two seasons, and we had to figure out how to how to make it work. If you know, you've got to take a lesser role, you know, and play to help the team win. And now that that's a that's not here anymore. Like you've got the addition of these other guys in the audition of me to be able to step into a larger role.
Speaker 5: No, I like it, man, because you know I've been I was calling baller vision for a couple uh, I think two seasons and just to watch your evolution just coming off the bench, you know, candidate for six man in a year, you know, coming in and being focal in the offense, right, being a focal point in the offense over the last two years, and now becoming you know that guy I remember, you know, I would say my third year when I kind of stepped into the role, like hey, it's up for grabs. There's five, six, seven more points for me. There's more responsibility, you know, So talk about this for you know what I mean, this big year, you know, to be able to show what you can do and not that it was something that you know you've been waiting for this moment.
Speaker 4: You know you can pretty much say nine years of your career, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, Yeah, I think you know, it's just being ready to stay prepared and continue to have faith and belief, you know, like in yourself throughout this grind. You know, like I said, like I've always been the guy that teams like value in terms of like a winning player you know that can come in and help a guy that you can plug and play in situations, you know. And I've had sparks and moments in stints in my tenure career where like guys get hurt and now I'm playing for fifteen straight games starting averaging twenty plus shooting efficiency, good everything. But then guys come back and I'm at the end of the bench and I got to fill that role again. Just being up and down with that. But like I said, I always believe that I could do this, you know, and I always wanted the opportunity, Like talking to AJ, my trainer. Let y' all know, you know, it's just like man like we just have conversations in the summer, like I really want to see what it's like when when I got the range, you know what I mean, Like like because I feel that I can I can produce, I can do this, Like I've seen it up close, like I've had it in stints and spurts.
Speaker 6: I've learned.
Speaker 7: I've watched the guys in front of me tomorrow, Kyle Kawhi operate, Dame CJ. Like I've seen how these franchise players and organizations that hold these guys to a high standard operate and approach the game.
Speaker 6: And I have the same mentality, have the same approach.
Speaker 7: I have the same work ethic, if not more in some cases, like like I want to see what it looks like. But it was just about staying ready and staying prepared and believing in myself through all the ups and downs and just waiting, you know, and having talks with with l and Mark when they traded for me, you know about my value, you know, Like I just came from starting from Portland. I don't really want to come off the bench again. Like I'm trying to keep elevating my career, you know what I'm saying, to hopefully become one of those guys, you know. And they said it like we see you as a starter, you know, but like in terms of how our team is configured right now, like we think it's the best for you to come off the bench, you know and be that spark plug and help us in that way because we need fire power off the bench and me being I want to win at the end of the day, no matter what what it is, like, I want to win. I want to win championships, I want to win games. I want to be known as a winning player. So I'm gonna do whatever it takes for the team to win, whether that's me taking a lesser role, me stepping up into a bigger role, like like I'm all about winning and that's what it is. And with this opportunity here, I told Elle in the summer, like I'm ready for the ups and downs, like you can lean on me, you know what I'm saying. I'm gonna be ready for I'm not going to shy away from everything. Like it's gonna be a learning experience because this is my first time, you know, in the league, actually having this leadership role for.
Speaker 6: A full season, you know, and being looked upon.
Speaker 7: So it's not gonna be pretty every single game, every single night, but like you know, you got somebody that you can lean is going to continue to put the work in and go out there and try to help this team win.
Speaker 8: The Emirates NBA Cup is here, so you can win big getting in on the action at DraftKings Sports Book, which is the official sports betting partner of the NBA. There's sure to be rim rattling slams, no look passes, get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the home of NBA player props if you're ready to place your first bet, make it simple, pick a team to win. Go to the DraftKings sports Book app. Ninety seconds download it. Make your pick a team to win first time. Here's something special new DraftKings customers. Bet five bucks. That's it, and you can get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets if you're five dollar bet wins. So score big with DraftKings sports Book Every point Counts. Download the app and use the code column clin col i N for new customers to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets. Betting just five bucks if you're five dollars bet wins only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 9: Gambling problem called one night hundred Gambler in New York call eight seven seven to eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Voyd and Ontario Bett must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot Co slash Bball.
Speaker 1: Speaking of just y'all team and what you brought to that team, what has Jeff Van Gundy coming back to the NBA as a coach on your staff? What has he brought to the mix. It just seemed like y'all have a different energy in a different way about y'all. And I note that I feel like he has He's right in the mix.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Nah, definitely, man, Jamie g Man, I loved that dude, Probably not before when he was done, you know, talking to the games and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it was him or or his brother, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I think there was a little bit of some some hate going on, But nah.
Speaker 6: I mean he's been great for us.
Speaker 7: Like honestly, he's a little bit annoying with the guys just because how how.
Speaker 6: Much he loves the game and like his attention to detail.
Speaker 7: You know, some guys like a yeah, But I always tell him, man, like we need it, you know what I'm saying, Like we need that that fire power and intensity, that passion that he comes in with every single day, like we're here t WHU talking about it like man, sometimes I gotta pull himself like yeah, man, go home, like stop watching the tape and everything.
Speaker 6: But he's so detailed.
Speaker 7: I mean, like a walk through that I've had before him as a defensive coach would probably be like fifteen twenty minutes, we go through here, dis rotations. Right here, we're gonna send this person left like he come through like now he's pulling your jersey, Like now we need you right here. The ball is gonna be right here. They're going to turn around do this, and when you come here, you've got to be a step higher, not a step back, but a step higher.
Speaker 6: Like he's like so detail oriented.
Speaker 7: And then just his approach of like we're gonna attack, like we're not gonna sit back on our heels, were playing against y'all, Like we're not gonna let Steph come down and do what. We're gonna pressure him. We're gonna blitz him, we're gonna pick him up. We're gonna we're gonna do things different like they're but dribbling. We're gonna attack the ball if they're if they're doing the dh O like like we're gonna we're gonna jump it. Like everything he's doing is talking about being aggressive and playing hard and being the one, uh to attack the basketball, to attack the game. I think we have a group of guys one we got younger too. We got guys that got something to prove, you know what I'm saying, that have bounced around the league, have their own own story and their own journey, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: And they're trying to make a name for themselves. They're trying to stay put.
Speaker 7: And you got guys that are locked in and want to play basketball the right way. And everybody's feeding off his energy, like him being back. It's definitely uh the energy and what we needed, you know, the the jump start this uh, this the start of the season for.
Speaker 4: Us is coming off the bench. Do you have any advice.
Speaker 6: They man on that bike, get on that Aradigne bike, on that Kaja bike.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: No, but serious, you know, having that role and then you know, Drey and I we talk about it. You know, I think it's you know Draymond con you know type of player can do anything similar and norm you're showing it coming from the six man to starting, but you know, just the importance to like and both of y'all talk about it, right because like norm here you are, you know, six man, six.
Speaker 4: Man of the year.
Speaker 5: Now you are in new terrain Dre Hall of Fame, career, Hall of Famer, Defensive Player.
Speaker 4: Of the Year candidate. You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Uh, injuries, you know, getting older now looking at the young dude, mentoring coming off the bench and being more explosive. Yeah, just talk about the role and how important it is, you know, to have that conversation with with yourself. But also like you know what is like how do you reinvent yourself?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? And stay hungry.
Speaker 6: Being first go ahead, yeah, you go.
Speaker 7: I think the biggest thing is is one to make it in the NBA, you know what I'm saying, Like I always tell the young kids, like everybody is not going to be the number one option, Everybody's not going to be the franchise player.
Speaker 6: So how do you stick?
Speaker 7: You know, how do you how do you find success in the league and still work your way, you know, into the player that you believe in yourself or see yourself as being.
Speaker 6: You know, and it's all about about.
Speaker 7: Finding that role that the team needs and maximizing that because once you maximize that role, you're going to get more opportunity to showcase your game.
Speaker 6: Right. But a lot of kids today, you know, they do it backwards.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: They think they should be the franchise player and get all this, that and the other, and they're trying to figure out why they don't have success, you know, and it's like, Okay, if the coach is asking me to be this pick up ninety four feet and be this scrappy defender guy, then like, and that's what I got to do to get on the court. Like I'm gonna do that, you know. But the mentality is not like I want to score. I want to do all these things, like people don't want to get down and dirty. But it's really important in the league to find that niche. Like I wasn't a scoring guy when I first came in the league. It was man, I was picking up Kyrie, prime John Wall, like prime Russ, like like ninety four feet, like they were putting me on Porzingis mellow, like I'm six three, you know what I mean, I'm Guarden.
Speaker 6: I'm Guarden. Porzingis in the post, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Like, but but that's what got me on the floor, you know, And like as I'm doing that, it's like, okay, Like I'm an opportunity score, I'm a defender, energy guy, opportunity scorer. Okay, So now I'm gonna take this defense and I'm gonna create my opportunities for myself. So I was like, oh, damg Oh he can't shoot. Oh he can't get to the basket. Oh he can't put up ten fifteen points, you know what I mean. So it was all about this is my role, and I'm going to execute this role. But I'm also going to continue to strive for more, you know what I'm saying to show that I can't I can and will do more for the team. And that's how I've been able to find my success. But it was all about, you know, taking a step back, you know, and having that honest conversation with yourself, like what are you going to do? And how are you going to get to where you want to be? You know, And and a lot of people aren't really ready to have those conversations, right to take that step back and be like my path to where I envisioned myself long term. Might not be the exact path that I have set out for myself, but it's going to be a path that I'm willing to take, you know, to achieve that. And it might be a longer road, you know, but I'm ready to endure that journey and that grind to get to where I'm at. But for me, it was everything about filling that role and finding out how it's going to be successful in this league. And I had the honest conversation with myself and I was ready for that, for that grind.
Speaker 1: I think I had a very similar coming in as well with me, whether it was to go in and Andre Miller, who was taking the last shot for Denver, or obviously you know, going in to stop cod if you know we playing against the Lakers on the last second shot, Like sometimes that was my only way onto the floor. Garden La Marcus as your garden, Blake, Garden z Bow, Guarden, Mark Gasol, like an older Tim Duncan, Like that was my way, power Gasol, like that, that was my way onto the court.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: Then you start to do that and like you said, you add more, and you add more, you show more. But I always tell young young people and people in general, when you add more, you can never not.
Speaker 3: Do what you started off doing.
Speaker 4: So m hmm.
Speaker 3: You can never just become a scorer and not check it all. And you came in the lead, check it right.
Speaker 1: Nobody gonna respect you no more, be like, oh, but he lost it because he can't guard no more.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It ain't gonna be like, oh nah, he's scoring like at this and so that's why he No, they're gonna be like, yo, he's s going down because not Look, he can't even stay in.
Speaker 3: Front of that guy.
Speaker 1: And remember when he used to do this, right, So you can never not do what you came in do. And so for me then I had to grow from there. At this point in my career, I'm thirteen. In the chase for greatness is still there right like or I wouldn't do it. The capability is still there. I've continued to show that, but the attitude that was is not coming up young in this league. To a certain extent, you got to be here like just to make it. Like y'all both know, to a certain extent, you have to have some of that. It's about me and you in order to do it.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: You go through and you learn and you experience, and with everything I've experienced, at a certain point, you got to know when to let go of it just being about me, like and not just about me, because I've always been a team guy, but you.
Speaker 3: Got to know when to let go of the me and at me.
Speaker 1: At this point in my career, I am very well accomplished and I still got a lot left in the team, but a lot.
Speaker 3: It's also I also noticed business like the back of my hand.
Speaker 1: And so Johnathan kamingas in year three, which means he's extension eg with this summer, he's in your four, and you know he can be he'll be restricted free agents this summer.
Speaker 3: And so you look at it from the business side.
Speaker 1: He has to he has to get the opportunity to show his worst, like just so you know, as as an organization, like, he has to get that opportunity. And he's earned the opportunity. He's more than earned the opportunity. So you take those two things into account.
Speaker 3: I know the.
Speaker 1: Business, stand down, bro like, stand down, check this out. I'm also a fan of Johnathan Camicia, and I am Jonathan Cominga's vet. I want to see the Jonathan Comedica do well, so me and you're thirteen, Dad, this is going to happen, but could decide tomorrow. I don't want to play anymore. Why would you stand in the way of his opportunity?
Speaker 6: That's real?
Speaker 1: Mh. Like I'm not gonna sit and like, ah, this is because at the end of the day, I'm gonna finish game, I'm gonna close games. I'm gonna be in wh when it matters. Not that he's not gonna be in, but I'm gonna be in when it matters, and I'm gonna do what I do. So whether I start or not, I've started so many games in the NBA.
Speaker 3: My ego isn't in it.
Speaker 1: And as a matter of fact, I'm all for because I want to see young fella get off and guess what, I know, starting to him mean something. You know why I know starting to him mean something because when I was in year four, starting to meet mean something, and so you David Lee took the back seat for me. And not that he took the back seat like he could have said, Oh no, he still supported me. He still taught me when I was coming up again, starting matchups. Hey, this guy because he's seen them so much, Like, it was never yo, I can't do this sor it was never that. And so, like I said, being a product of that, Pete Myers would always tell me, you owe it to the game to get a young fellas back. You owe it to the game to leave it in a better place than it was when you found You got to get back to the young fellas. You gotta pour into them. I'm at the point of my career now where I am one thousand percent of starter in the NBA. I know that not tripping on that at all. But if this is going to help Jonathan Kamenka, and this is going to help this team, then let's check it out. And if it don't pan off, we always know we can go back to me started at the fore on five, like we can always go back to that. Let's see what he got. He deserved that. And I've never respected guys who's like if it comes down to that and it's like I'm not I would to say respect, But I've just always been like, if it's me in the position and it comes down to yo, now, maybe two years ago, I wouldn't feel like this like I mean, you're thirteen.
Speaker 3: Like so.
Speaker 1: If it comes down to you and this kid getting the opportunity to change his life, to change his family life, move on, like give it back to the game. And like I said, then you're adding the personal relationship that I have with Jonathan Kaminga. I can't look him in this eye, tell him all the love I got for him and be the person standing in the way his opportunity.
Speaker 3: I can't do that. That don't work for me.
Speaker 7: It's crazy that you say that because I was in a similar situation as Kamina in Toronto, you know what I mean, Like we're opportunity.
Speaker 6: Like I worked my way.
Speaker 7: I was grinding down to the D League at the time, back up, and they were trying to figure out what they wanted to do for the starting role with Demark Carroll.
Speaker 6: He had a messed up me so he wasn't playing back to backs, you know.
Speaker 7: And I had Chance Ross and James Johnson and Patrick Patterson in front of me, you know.
Speaker 6: And then I was the second round pick.
Speaker 7: I had Delawn Wright, you know, he was the twentieth pick, you know, like the first round, and the team went with me, you know, and mind you at the time, like James Johnson was my vet, and uh, you know all the stuff that I was going around the league about him, like all that year years ago, you know, so you know I felt some type of way. I was like, damn, it's my vet, Like you know, he's shown me love, like he's taking me around, taking me under his wing, gave me so much advice, you know, and you know I got whin that, you know, whatever was going on, if it was true or not. But I went to him like, you know, like I didn't want him to be mad at me. You know what I'm saying, for the opportunity. You know, they ever started me. And the one thing he told me was like, bro, I'll never be mad at you. You know what I'm saying for getting your opportunity. You know what I'm saying, I want to see you do great. You know, there's enough out of here for all of us. You know what I'm saying, I want you to be successful. So like, don't don't trip. I'm rooting you on every step of the way. You know what I'm saying. I'm be in your ear, you know, making sure that you know you stay you stay focused and locked in and He always got me ready, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: After practice, he was playing one on.
Speaker 7: One, you know, talking shit to me, you know, like getting that that fire, that dog, making sure I was you know, picking up and pressuring and not backing down.
Speaker 6: But like similar situation, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: He event in the league like he should be, you know, getting his opportunity as well. But you know, they want to go with somebody younger and see what he had and see what I had and what I was working with and how I could help the team, you know. And he was a full supporter of that, you know, and really like helped me along the way along.
Speaker 6: With damorro and knows the other guy.
Speaker 7: But you know, I had that conversation with him, you know, and he removed himself, you know, like you know, like this is this is about you.
Speaker 6: It's not about me. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I want to see you be successful and like and you need that, you know because then now you know, from that experience with him, and tomorrow I'm talking to those guys. I'm one, you know, passing down game and knowledge and giving the young guy some some uh strategies on how to navigate being a professional and waiting for their opportunity and being ready for it and stepping into that role.
Speaker 6: You know, like I got Jordan Miller.
Speaker 7: As as my as my youth, my uh as my rookie, and you know, now he's getting the opportunity to play. You know, he had to go through the G League grind. You know, he was an older guy coming out of college, you know. And now I'm telling them in the game, like, bro, take this shot, take this three. You know what I'm saying, attack down here right here, you know, be aggressive, you know, because because that's what we need. I'd rather you make mistakes being aggressive than being passive and worried about you know, making a mistake or coach is going to pull you out.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: So like to your point, DG, you know, just about leaving the game in a better place and passing down that knowledge and we're moving removing the me. You know what I'm saying that the personal of I got to get this like like this is about me, Like how do I prove that?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I feel like like I don't have all the accomplishmition things like that, but like I've I've become a household name where people know what I can do every single night.
Speaker 6: This is what norm is going to bring to the tables.
Speaker 7: So if it's not my night and my young fellow got it going, man, I'm I'm.
Speaker 6: A fiene carry a team tonight.
Speaker 7: Well, I ain't backing out like like I want them to be successful because I know, you know, when I was in that role, I had somebody else passing that knowledge and that confidence down to me. You know, that's the that's the biggest thing, you know in terms of you know, passing the knowledge down and leaving the game in a better place and removing that meat. You know what I'm saying, Like the same situation that you're talking about experience and now having to be that vet and do the same thing.
Speaker 3: One thousand percent. I think that's dope.
Speaker 1: I've heard several guys now that's come upers from under James Johnson wayn't talk about him as they VET and how he took them under their way and that's done.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: You know this year you've been having a kick ass year, you know, all Star year. I want you to tell everybody you know why you believe you're a.
Speaker 6: Dang man, you know, be there. I don't like talking about myself, man.
Speaker 4: I know, you know, like to I mean, I could do it for you, but.
Speaker 5: You know, just talk about you know, the role, the role you stepped into, you know where people didn't think you know, uh, let's say with PG, right, and you know Russ not being there as well, and then you know the Clippers not being you know, h thought of as tender, you know, James Harden saying I am the system, you know what I mean, like, you know, talk through all that and then how you've emerged, you know, as their counterpart. You know, I think you know, I want to hear from you, but also the fans want to hear from you, you know just about your get them, you know what I mean, and your press this year and you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think for me, you know, I think I'm an All star.
Speaker 7: Just like you said, like where the team and where they saw us at, you know, like we just think second to last in the West, Like they had no belief that we're going to be a good team because we lost PG, we lost Russ and then the whole Kawhi, you know, being out and being hurt and then the narrative around James.
Speaker 6: You know, he's not the same player that he was. He's not going to be able to carry.
Speaker 7: A team that you know, the his best basketball days you know, are behind him, you know, and for me and him to you know, come together, you know, and be the two guys that he is leading this team, you know what I'm saying on a nightly basis, and making sure that we're competitive, you know that that's a testament to who we are as a players. And then just my production as well, you know, from being able to be in a role of six man behind four Hall of Fame guys, you know, still putting up production in points last year, to stepping in and increase some my averages across the board, being super efficient from the field from the three point line, and still being competitive. DG said at the beginning, like, if we can stay in that top five in the standings, you know, I have a good chance. But just mere emerging it as a guy that you know, people didn't think we'll be able to do this in year ten.
Speaker 6: You know that I was just fitting this certain role.
Speaker 7: I think that's the strongest candidate, that my strongest pitch that I have, you know, I'm producing every single night.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm doing my thing.
Speaker 7: I'm holding it down against the top dogs, the top teams, and my mentality and approach has always been the same, you know, my work ethic hasn't changed. I think the biggest thing that I've done going into the season knowing that I'm going to have a bigger role and more pressure and stuff on me from myself. I never much external because like I don't really care what media and stuff talking about because they don't really know. But just with myself was just a mental approach, you know, just like what is my going to be? What's going to be my daily approach to the game, you know, good days, bad ads day days, and games like am i gonna be somebody that rises a wave? I'm not gonna be even killed, you know what I'm saying and going at it the same way. So I put a lot of emphasism, just like the mental part of the game, making sure that my mind is ready night in the night out because I know my body, yeah can do it. You know. I stressed my body out all summer long, three workouts a day, five days a week, you know, going at it three weeks on one week off, traveling, still still training, still getting it in, so I know my body's up for the grind, But where's my mental going to be? You know, when you know you're go one night, you know I got thirty thirty seven and then the next night I got twenty two or fifteen, I'm shooting five for nineteen, you know, like I'm oh, man, like the team needed me tonight, man, Like I can't do this or it's going to be like, you know this happens, Like how do I get better?
Speaker 6: How do I improve? How do I, oh, I still get the best from the team.
Speaker 7: So that's the biggest thing that I changed going into this season is just making sure that I'm mentally strong no matter what, no matter what it is, whether I'm playing great for a stretch of games or you know, I have a few games where you know, the ball's not going into the basket.
Speaker 6: How can I still be that leader?
Speaker 7: How can I still be impactful and keep this team, you know, as one of the top teams in the conference. And I think I've been able to do that so far, even with being out with injury and things like that, still being in guys ears, still bringing that competitive fire and grit to the game. But when I'm on the floor, like like we're hanging in there, you know what I'm saying, We're gonna figure it out. We're gonna be competitive every single night. I think that's what makes me an All Star this year.
Speaker 4: I agree, Bro, I definitely think you having an All Star season.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean. To me, there's so many All Stars, you know what I mean, And just putting your name on the board and putting your name in that category is just like that next level. And as I continue to watch you, I just see you keep leveling up, you know what I mean. And as a Brewing, I'm proud, you know what I'm saying. As a OG, I'm proud. And shit, you got my vote, Brom. I'm campaigning because you know what you guys are doing with the Clippers and the type of year that you haven't is I call it is to show improve you right every every game, you know, showing up, y'all, showing up of campaigning for j for Defensive Player of the Year because you're showing up, you know what I mean? And I think that you know, I love the young guys. I love the young guys, the young energy, in this league. But it's also you know, we gotta recognize veterans that take that journey, that take that step, you know what I mean, and reinvent theyselves, you know, multiple times, because that's that's really the staple of the league.
Speaker 4: And you know, I fight for veterans, more vets, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But we definitely gotta, you know, make sure we shine a light on you know, the vets that's in here because y'all showing up every night, y'all prove it, and you know that's really the cornerstone of the game.
Speaker 4: You feel what I'm saying. And these young guys are the energy.
Speaker 5: And so when I'm watching the game, I'm really watching you know, basketball at his finess that is purest with a fine tooth, con with a fine eye.
Speaker 4: And I love what the young guys are doing.
Speaker 5: But you know, I just from the respect level and how you've been getting down all year, I'm just I'm just loving your get down most definitely.
Speaker 1: I've had a lot of battles with James Harden over the years, with James Harden playing like James Harden playing this.
Speaker 3: Year, and you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Six years younger and playing how he playing this year, Ah, crazy, crazy battles, fine battles, A lot of respect for James. What have you seen differently from him from him this year as opposed to what you saw last year when he was with you guy, I just.
Speaker 7: Think it's approached man like honestly, like a little different, you know, you know, like guy coming in. You know, we wasn't crazy long into the scene. I think we're like three games in or whatever it was, and then when he finally gets on, we're probably like eleven games, but you know, just trying to get acclimated, you know, and figuring it out. Like everybody got to take an adjustment period, you know, so he's trying to figure out the guys and you know how he can insert himself into the team. So you know, we went to that sixth game losing street, you know when he started playing, and you know, it was just a full adjustment period and then we got a little rhythm and stuff. But I think this year his approach overall, you know, I said it in the media, like during the summers, like he was working on with the young guys, you know what I'm saying, Like we're doing the beep test, conditioning and running up and down the floor, you know, after their individual workouts.
Speaker 6: And he's right along with them.
Speaker 7: You know, he's going through the coverages and talking to him and being vocal, you know, on how we need to play, who we have to be this year, and you know, can do whatever they want. You know, nobody's checking in on James to see if he's getting his work, and you know it's trusted. You know that that's for the young guys that have to come in and be seeing every single day underneath the coaches, you.
Speaker 6: Know, and he's there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: I think that builds trust, that builds the chemistry, you know, you know, saying like if James is in here doing this, then then I have to as well. And then just his care with his body, you know, I see him getting his workouts in, I see him getting his treatments, you know, and being really vocal about what he needs, you know, after the game's lifting and doing all the things to make sure that you know, he's able to be ready to lead and play every single night. I think that's been the biggest thing, Like even just being in the locker room throughout the course of the games, start their games, halftime in the games, like talking about what we need to do, the adjustments, keeping our heads up, you know, on on tough nights when we let let games slip away from us or we get blown out, you know, just refocusing everybody. He's been amazing with that, and that's what we need, you know, seeing that side of things from him and being, like you said, an opposing player. You know, you don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, and all the articles and things that were being put out about him leaving Philly and all that, like, you know, you get a one sided narrative, but then actually being on a in the locker room with him and talking to him. Our locker room lockers right next to each other, so there's a lot of dialogue on the game.
Speaker 6: And the approach and what we have to do. I mean, he's a great dude, great teammate.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm honored just to be able to play with him on the floor, you know, with all the things he's been able to accomplish and looking up to him.
Speaker 6: But he's been great.
Speaker 4: Talk about also, like.
Speaker 5: Your relationship with Kawhi, we know why is out, you know, you know, definitely when he comes back. I think y'all gonna be one of the most dangerous teams in the league. You know, you played, you know, on the same team win the championship. You know, hey, man, you get mad every time I said that.
Speaker 6: We can't get one bro, we can't get.
Speaker 7: One man.
Speaker 4: To get one my bad, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Man, I'm glad that I'm glad that it's still It would never bothered me, It would never not bother me.
Speaker 5: But talk about talk about your evolutionist you know, teammates, relationship with teammates in Toronto, and now you know how that's evolved. And then when his return come, you know just how that's going to help you know, uh kind of your game and the way you plan, how that takes pressure off of you know, him coming back.
Speaker 6: Of course has been great.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: I mean I've known Kawhi since I was in high school. You know, I was in San Diego. I was at Lincoln, he was at San Diego State. San Diego State was the first school to offer me a full right scholarship. I took my official visit there, being in San Diego, respecting coach uh Fisher, Uh Jeremy.
Speaker 6: You know, Kawi is a right hand man.
Speaker 7: He hosted me actually on my my visit to San Diego State, so you know, doing Kawhi being around Kauai for a while. He's always supported me and showed me love. Even when he was in San Antonio playing. You know, he put me to like whatever I needed, you know, make sure I hit him up, you know, back down San Diego, get workouts and and things like that. But just being able to shut the flooridam talk to him, you know, pick his brain and his approach, because you know, everybody thinks he's just like.
Speaker 1: This, like.
Speaker 7: Out would statue robot that has no feelings, no emotions and things like that. Man, Like I always try to tell people, man, Kawhi is literally like one of us, you know what I mean, Like he's just he's just quiet and in the media and everything like that. But behind him closed doors in the locker room, like he's telling jokes, he's talking like he's normal.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: But this is an approach to the game and his diligence, you know, and his focus is what I've appreciated as a teammate. You know, I've learned so much from just no matter what's going on, you know, just the staying staying even you know what I'm saying, He's never too high, never too low. He always has this like demeanor of like effort, you know what I'm saying, Like like I miss a shot, like I'm gonna miss another one.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. I'm still gonna approach it. I'm still gonna go out it the same way.
Speaker 7: And so that that's kind of like rubbed off on me, like where it's like, no matter what's going on, like I know who I am, Like I know what player I am, Like nothing's gonna change that. So that's what I've learned most about so like like being teamage or not, like we've always been cool. Him working out with no socks, it's crazy. I think that's probably the funniest thing. He on the court with full setup in no socks. It's probably the funniest thing I've seen.
Speaker 4: What, Yeah, it's nasty. I don't know I'm gonna get saying that.
Speaker 7: Man, I was.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, like, what is a kawhi is? Like I heard of kawhi is was.
Speaker 5: The coach was saying, like, all right, you know, dude, in the game, he can't shoot. He said, well, oh my gosh, man, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: We in Toronto, right, we just got blown out by Milwaukee, and we come in to film the next day and Nick's talking about, you know, rolls and how our office can get better. You know, we just got blown out and you know, and so he's telling everybody what they should do. And he gets to Kawhi and he's like, he's talking about trying to move the ball, you know what I mean. And so he's like, you know, like, even Kawhi, you come down, man, you know what I'm saying, just just moving the ball for the hell of it. And I was like, you know, I Devoice is like, yeah, I don't think I should move the ball for the hell of it. I was like, man, and like like like he's like, like, my job is to score the ball, and like you know, you know, as a head coach, and it usually got something to say back, and you don't know what to say because like nobody was expecting it.
Speaker 6: And he's just like nah, and it's Mile trowing his hell like like nah, I ain't gonna move the ball for the hell of it.
Speaker 7: Everybody just started laughing into Oh my gosh in the locker room, I mean, in the theater room. Man, watching that film, it was hilarious. But he got a little one liners all the time. He got one leonards all the time that people don't know he's hilarious. But him coming back, man, is gonna be huge for us. I mean, just just the attention to detail that teams have to have to focus on. You know, it's gonna take the pressure off James being picked up, you know, full course gonna take the pressure off me getting double teams and face guard and boxed and won when you're playing against certain teams.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, having to guard Kawhi.
Speaker 7: You know, he draws double teams like you can't guard him one on one for a full course of the game.
Speaker 6: So now I'm getting more catch and shoot threes and more.
Speaker 7: Stuff out the floor of the offense from his double teams and stuff like that. I think it's just uh, I mean, he's a generational talent when he's on the floor, man, and he's healthy. I mean, he's top five in the league with his production and his play, and he's gonna elevate the team. I mean, he's a two way, two way threat offensively defensively, you know, and it's gonna help other guys get into their more natural roles to help our bench as well. You know, some guys playing in the bench starting right now with the lineups, and you know when he's back, Uh, it's going to have a full team to where we can you know, do a lot of different things defensively and offensively.
Speaker 1: Now, new season, new arena. How does it feel to have your own arena and not be a visitor at home?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 6: Like, man, it feels great.
Speaker 7: I can't even lie too man, just having like like you know, like having your having your own setup, having your own locker room, you know, you know, being comfortable having your own routine, not having Oh we got to get out early.
Speaker 6: We got to move this.
Speaker 7: We got a game at twelve thirty. We got to go this way to exit, like you know, we know where everything's at, you know, so it's more relaxed, he is. And you got your own fans, you know what I mean. Like we have the wall is a dedicated section for just us. So even when y'all travel down there and y'all like to bring all your fans and everything down to LA, you know, we got our section still rocking and competing, you know what I mean. But It's great man to have your own identity. The rebrand is amazing. Kind of gets away from the whole sterling thing and all that, you know, having our own identity. Uh, you know, Bomber has been great providing everything that the team needs as players and as an organization.
Speaker 6: And the arena is top notch.
Speaker 7: I mean, I haven't been over to the visitor side, but I'm sure you ain't complaining about the locker room because you know some of these arenas and visiting locker rooms being a in a in a box, you know what I mean. But yeah, it's amazing. I mean, the halo board is probably my favorite thing in that arena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. I had walked all the way up to the top of the wall when we were when we played y'all there. It's just kind of got that advantage point at the top of the halo board and then kind of cut down a little bit and see uside.
Speaker 3: It was dope to see now, but we we appreciate you, Steve.
Speaker 1: I've heard you know, there's a hot tub and cold tub and stuff and the Warriors guess locker room and home I got that over there.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 3: So we appreciate you rather than the weight room train. The rooms great. Another thing, the seats. The seats are high, like you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about well number one on the bench. The bench seats are great. But even in the locker room. You know, you go to these arenas, man may be having these chairs that are super low and then fucking and you know with you know they do and uh in two it they got the ones you can let up and they got to warm on them and stuff. But I think they should have a rule about the bench in NBA arenas. Man, Like, again, you want the product on the floor. You want guys to be healthier. Part of that is the little things like when you're sitting down your hips being level and a lot of them benches put you yeah yeah, hips in the wrong. Regular stuff plays a part in the injury. Absolutely, So the NBA.
Speaker 5: You like, yes, man, hey, bro, y'all still sitting in concert seats. You know what I mean, y'all sitting in the same seats. We say, you ain't got no upgrade, No, you ain't got.
Speaker 6: No gameer cheers.
Speaker 4: Yes you're not, like, uh, that's look nasty. Yeah, sitting up.
Speaker 5: Sitting on kid, I don't even look right, man, let's we're gonna have to upgrade them seats. Man, let's find let's find a seat of partner or something like that. Come on, man, and were putting the a PV out anybody who makes DOMP seats.
Speaker 4: We need bet seats. We need the bitch right.
Speaker 3: Ship, Come on, man, ship exactly.
Speaker 4: There your back up. That's a big part of No, that's a big part being on that bench.
Speaker 5: You got everything, you got the back thing and then and then you still got the hole in the back of the morning chair, so you can't really get a proper.
Speaker 4: You know what I man, Yeah, man, you know I know all about that.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: That is that is not how we wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: But back to the end too it. You know, I think into it is dope.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's a bad seat in the house, you know, being from San Diego, going to uc LA, being a clipper, being a part of this new frontier. Just talk about you know what this means really because y'all pioneering a you know, a whole new system. You know what I mean of fans and just what you talked about. But just talk about you know, your career, where you at the evolution and just you know, just I feel like you in the moment of you know, being home and also being a part of this, you know, this new Clipper regime.
Speaker 6: Yeah, honestly, it's full circle for me.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean to be able to be back where the NBA journey started, you know what I'm saying, going to U s LA, being able to be around my family, like you know, having to be away, you missed so much time. You know, you got to sacrifice, you know, to be successful in this league. You know, a lot of that sacrifice means, you know, giving up family time, personal time, whether that's with workouts and things like that, but also being on the road, you know, and then you know, if you play for a team that's not in your home market, you know. So I've been that's my third season with him now. So for three years out of the ten years I've been in the league, I've I've been home. The other seven I've been on the road. So I've missed so much time with family, and it's been amazing these last three years just to spend time with my niece, spend Thanksgiving, Christmas, and just being able to we have an off day, I can shoot down to Sant Diego, you know what I'm saying for a few hours, to see my mom's and my sister and go to my nephew's football game who actually plays for my high school now and support there.
Speaker 6: So it's been amazing, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And then you know, just kickoff uh this season.
Speaker 7: You know, the Clippers started the G League down in uh in Ocean Side, you know, so to actually go down to San Diego County and uh where you know I had my hoop dreams growing up in San Diego to play a game there, you know what I'm saying, and gave the intro uh, you know, the kickoff the arena is amazing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: It's something that you know, you can't really put down or dream about, you know, as a kid growing up. So just to be a part of this whole new redesign, you know, and be a focal point in it, noring where the Sandel Clippers started, you know what I mean, and being from San Diego and that history there, it's definitely dope to be a part of it. Like you said, it's a it's a moment that I'm in and I'm enjoined every second of it. I'm not taking if for granted, one because I know the work that it is taking to get here, but also just being a part of where the organization is trying to go, you know, and being a focal point, and it has been truly amazing.
Speaker 5: You face the Warriors twice this year, you know, coming into a game, how do y'all team prepare for Draymond Green?
Speaker 3: Prushure the dogs? What are you doing about it?
Speaker 4: Y'all talk about him talking ship? Oh man?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we say, don't worry about it, don't worry about the boyshit he's gonna do.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: He don't come in flailing and was yelling and screaming. We're gonna pressure. We're gonna pressure the hell out of his handle.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean. And then pressure when he's.
Speaker 7: Driving to the basket, wall up and and go vertical and make him a finisher. Literally the set up. Don't get drawn into the bs. You what I'm saying, Pressure the ship out of him, and don't follow when he's going to the basket.
Speaker 6: I just gave you the game plan right there.
Speaker 3: For years.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Now j gonna start talking to you the funny thing is he got I remember.
Speaker 11: That, Thank you God, I was playing. It was when I was in Portland. I remember the ship so vividly.
Speaker 6: Man, because one of the assistant coaches, like you hear this, Draymond Green said to you, I said, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: What you say?
Speaker 7: Because I'm ignoring his ass because I know he's gonna be I know he's gonna do something. I know he's gonna say something. So I try to attack him on on the right wing between the LA's crossover. I try to body him whatever, you know. I try to get my little you know, my break through foul. And I don't get the call and bo guard the bounds right and I don't even know what the hell he said. But you know, Drake, you know he be getting hotype when he gets stops.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean, He just ship, you know, you know, I just ran back on defense cause I know he's about to say some ship. You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: He was already into the game, and so then I was mad as hell because I would have said something if I knew it. But then there was a clip you know what I'm saying on Instagram and I'm running back on defense.
Speaker 6: He get the stop. He getting ready to take the ball out.
Speaker 3: He said, yeah, you get your mama. I was like, that's what he said.
Speaker 6: I would turn.
Speaker 3: Something I wouldn't. I wouldn't have said that to you, but but I know.
Speaker 6: Like, I don't take it person.
Speaker 3: I know that's that.
Speaker 7: You know, that's you, and I like that part of the game. You know, But I would have turned around and say what you think this is? Man, I'm right back to I'm here too, you know what I mean. But yeah, man, I remember that man. He always says something he don't. He don't back down from nobody.
Speaker 1: You get a lot of guys that you know, you got him nor may never never ain't never backing down from.
Speaker 4: Listening to you.
Speaker 5: The guys you know listen to I don't listen to him. He'll say, he'll say anything.
Speaker 6: I know how I know how to goes.
Speaker 3: Just gotta find angles, Bro, trying to find ain't knowing. Man, it's been a pleasure. Brother.
Speaker 1: We appreciation yall you you have you having an incredible year. Keep it up, stay healthy, and I hope the best for you. Bro.
Speaker 3: Be an all star.
Speaker 1: Keep chasing it, Bro, It's incredible to see you level up your team like only Kyle Lowry has leveled up.
Speaker 7: Uh this late, you keep going, my dog, I'm gonna try to Pa, I'm gonna try to pass him. So hopefully, you know, saying things go right, I'll be right right there. All Starring experienced that, man, But I appreciate you'll having me on here. You know what I'm saying, taking the time, man. I looked at both of y'all careers, and it's an honor man to be, you know, talking to y'all and being the same category as y'all in some aspects, you know. So I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 5: Just invite me to the football game so I can sit in the lower ball now, I.
Speaker 6: Got you, man.
Speaker 5: I make sure it doesn't take care of you. Hey day, I'm sitting up there. Whatever you need, man, he's sitting back.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting back like this watching the game and ship.
Speaker 7: I got a beer right here, poor, come on, nor, I get you right, man, I get you the floor seats, man, and get get right there first of all.
Speaker 4: Take care of I got you.
Speaker 5: Let's go, bro, legend. Appreciate it for All Star All Star campaign.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Man, appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Bro volume