Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Hello and welcome to The Money Stuff Podcast, your weekly podcast where we talk about stuff related to money. I'm Matt Levine, and I write the Money Stuff column for Bloomberg Opinion.
Speaker 2: And I'm Katie Greifeld, a reporter for Bloomberg News and an anchor for Bloomberg Television.
Speaker 1: Bring this off script?
Speaker 2: Forgot for a moment. What do I do? Matt? It was funny last week we joked about.
Speaker 1: The all Tariffs episode. Yeah, I think I yeah, the monkey hand curled or whatever.
Speaker 2: Here we are, Here, we are.
Speaker 1: It's an episode, Kitty. I'm your in vocation next week.
Speaker 2: Yes you are.
Speaker 1: Service for the Money Stuff Podcast may or may not continue uninterrupted. But I'm going on vacation. I mentioned that because things have been a little crazy in the financial markets, and I do have some history of things being crazier when I'm on vacation. Someone liked a subject report about where the financial markets are more volatile when I'm on vacation. Certainly, Elon Musk seems to be a little bit more volatile when I'm on vocation. And one time, when I was an investment banker, I went on vacation, and it was September of two thousand and eight and the Lehman Brothers filed.
Speaker 2: For bankerscy, Like, oh first, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're recording this on Wednesday. We are twenty minutes before we started recording, turned out that the tariffs were a joke.
Speaker 2: I mean I do. I mean, I shure her to think, what fresh hell awaits us next week when you are on vacation.
Speaker 1: I know, but I think that what I'm saying is there's some chance that it's no fresh hell. It's some chance that all of the tariffics I've ben't was this week. Donald Trump announced there's like a ninety day pause on the tariffs.
Speaker 2: And like, that's so naive.
Speaker 1: Who's going to remember any of this in ninety days? I know, it's pretty nicie. But still there's some chance that next week will be less crazy than this week, and sometimes it'll be much crazier.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can only hope and pray. But I'm glad you signposted that this is happening on Wednesday, because I mean, this podcast could be a relevant and by Friday. But at least what we know right now is that Trump said that he is pausing terrorists for ninety days on countries that didn't retaliate. That means China.
Speaker 1: He who knows, right, but it seems to me and the tyres are paused except on China.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, In fact, he raised tariffs to one hundred and twenty five percent.
Speaker 1: Are not paused on other countries, right, they're like ten percent? I don't understand it. Yeah, well, let's the reciprocal who cares.
Speaker 2: Let's like a too deep into the details here, but this is interesting. We were going to talk about Walter Bloomberg, who sort of actually gave us a no no relation, no relation to Bloomberg News, but it kind of gave us a dry run of what we saw unfold in the markets because he he sent that tweet, that headline which turned out to be fake, but it was written in Bloomberg News style about a ninety day pause. I believe it was on Monday. I was, of course on live television as I often am during these events. That ended up being fake, but CNBC and Reuters ran with it and then had to issue corrections, but stocks surged after that. They then came back after it was revealed that that was not based in reality and again, it was like a nice dry run. It was a teachable moment that when there is any good news that you're going to see markets absolutely explode. And that's what's happening, at least for right now.
Speaker 1: It's so weird that it was accurate two days in advance, right, Yeah, it'd be one thing if he was like up, towers are off, but like it's the same. It's the real thing. Sort of.
Speaker 2: So do we want to talk about where the ninety day idea came from?
Speaker 1: Are you going to tell me where it came from?
Speaker 2: A friend of the show, Bill Lackman. At least he was one of the I think he's the first person I saw who floated that idea, tweeting over the weekend that Trump should do a ninety day pause because it takes a long time to negotiate deals and move manufacturing, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Manufacturer. Yeah, I mean, look a sure toketend anything makes sense. It makes sense. But I do love that, Like, it's not quite that Walter Bloomberg pseudonymous Twitter account.
Speaker 2: Who tweets I want to know it's so bad.
Speaker 1: It's not quite that he this up. It's like someone asked Trump advisor Kevin hasse This is the thing like with the Trump administration, you can ask anything and they'd be like, yeah, maybe that has what about a ninety day pause? And he said something like no, but you could sort of read it to me and.
Speaker 2: Maybe he made a noise and then he said, or Bill, yeah, you know, I think that the president is going to decide what the president is going to decide.
Speaker 1: Which is not exactly a no, it's not a yes.
Speaker 2: But you know, but boy, it doesn't exactly translate into the headline.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't send it all caps headline for that. If you would, it would be like Trump is going to do what Trump is going to do.
Speaker 2: It's not a very news You could send it any time a moment. So yeah, it doesn't exactly translate into the headline that Walter Bloomberg said. I love this only because I mean, Twitter is not real life, but this is a moment where Twitter briefly became real life.
Speaker 1: But like, by the way, as far as I can tell, you know, we're recording this like two o'clock on Wednesday. As far as I can tell, the only indication that the tires are paused is a truth social post true.
Speaker 2: That's true. Actually I saw things.
Speaker 1: Get like you know, there's you know how a bill becomes a law. It's like there's truth social right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to read you something. I thought this was fantastic. So Commerce Secretary Howard Lutne posted Scott Bessett, and I sat with the President while he wrote one of the most extraordinary truth posts of his presidency, most not like you know, sat down with his scroll and his quill and like penned out like this, you know, poetry like Gettysburg address. It was a truth social post. So I mean that is where policy happens on social media.
Speaker 1: Now we're not going to add up just staring.
Speaker 2: This is why it needs to be a video podcast. And that's eyes just sort of went cold and we stare at each other.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I've written this is not interesting, But I've written this week about how the Constitution of the United States says that the all tier of power is in Congress, and like the whole set of rules in the Constitution and the actual Constitution about how revenue raising laws need to be passed where the House has to initiate them. It's like a whole thing, and like we have twisted the world where now it's like you sit down and you read it consequential truth social post, and that's how tax policy gets made. It's pretty weird, man, It's pretty weird.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: This is going to be the Awkward Pauses.
Speaker 2: Episode of I want to talk about Walter Bloomberg a little bit more. We know that he's French. I think once he posted a screenshot that you know, his browser was in French or something, and that was interesting.
Speaker 1: I like that you pay as much attention to Walter Bloomberg as Walter bloom I'm going to assume pays attention to Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just love anyone who's so committed to the game, and he is so committed to the game so posting screenshots or rather just posting terminal headlines right.
Speaker 1: And one thing I said about it is like, what an amazing long game it would be to spend years just posting all cap terminal headlines for people who don't get the terminal and building up a following of people who want to follow Bloomberg terminal headlines in real time for years and years and years of just doing that consistently all the time, and then one day, one fake Bloomberg headline to move the market by two point five trillion.
Speaker 2: Lives, what a great rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't really monetize it because it's like you're moving all of the stocks. But like, I don't know, there's something really beautiful about doing such a enormous stock Manipulation as a is a harsh term, but you know he manipulated the stocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure you could find some way to monetize it.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure you can just buy some stocks, but it's like you can't, like you know, you're gonna make two point five trillion dollars by moving the market by two point five trillion dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember when bitcoin spot ETFs were.
Speaker 2: Approved, Yeah, I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: And someone tweeted a fake headline about the media approved.
Speaker 2: Yeah that wasnt eight hours before they.
Speaker 1: Were approved, And it's like everyone knew when the SEC was going to act, and like someone treated that they got approved like a few hours earlier, and like there's like a little spike in bitcoin and it seemed to be some sort of attempt to manipulate the market. But it was so weird you never knew it was going to happen, and it did happen a few hours later. This is not like that. This was I think more or less a genuine surprise when Trump really did the thing that he was rumored to do two days earlier.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's true. I mean, you know, actually he did say he did post on truth Social earlier on Wednesday. Now is a good time to buy?
Speaker 1: Amazing, what an amazing thing to do.
Speaker 2: It turns out that was the signal. And I'm so happy that I have this timestamped because I said on TV, this raises the possibility that actually the Trump put does exist. He's clearly watching the stock market and sees it puking right now, and then hours later comes out with this extremely stock market friendly headline.
Speaker 1: I know, but isn't it so weird because like, if you listen to the things that like the Trump team say, there are things like the tariffs will be good for America in the long term, right yeah, and then to like pause the tariffs like you would you would think that saying this is the time to buy it means because the market is incorrectly reacting to the glorious future ahead of us because of these tariffs. But in fact, it means because I'm bucking back the tariffs in a few hours. Well, maybe it doesn't mean that. Who knows, who.
Speaker 2: Knows, who knows he did sign it, TJT or whatever. I can't believe we aren't actually doing an episode on tariffs.
Speaker 1: It is disappointing.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So Walter Bloomberg, So I think it's at least the New York Times, but maybe too. The Wall Street Journal DMed him and he answered, and he sort of deconstructed how he got there. He said he saw some other account tweet it. Yeah, the market was responding, so then he ran with it.
Speaker 1: So this is like this is how everything works, right, because like then, like news stations were reporting it because they're like, the market is moving. Why is the market moving? Well, is this tweet? So we have to report on the tree? Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 2: Reasonable it's a daisy chain, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's really like it's you know, right, it's like this little snowball from like one person says a thing, and if you market moves on that, then someone else will say it because it's like, yeah, it's often very hard to explain market moves, and so people look for whatever they can and like one crisp tweet explaining the market move is like a useful thing, although here, like here, it clearly was the explanation.
Speaker 2: Can we have Walter Bloomberg on the show? I hope, so I'm going to DM him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: I wonder if MS are open, I can find out. I can look at my phone right now.
Speaker 1: Should publish a terminal headline like Berg? Your MS to Katie.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to in all caps and put a little asterisk ahead of it so that whole think it's a Bloomberg headline. So you're saying, you know, it's hard to explain market moves. It's nice to have something crisp to point to. Shall we talk about what's going on in the treasury market? I guess yeah, A really satisfying boogeyman is just pointing to the basis trade to explain why bond yields have been blowing out even though everyone's worried about a recession, and up until an hour ago, stock markets had been pretty much flirting with bear market correction territory, you would expect treasuries to rally and bond yields to fall. That's not what has been happening. That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can tell various like fundamental macro stories about how the tariffs would cause treasure yields to rise and stock markets to fall. Right, Like, the story that I've been telling is the goal of the tariffs is to have foreigners buy more US goods and fewer US financial assets, which, like you would think would lead to losses in US financial assets such as stocks and also bonds. But it is also the case that the basis trade exists, and people do like talking about the basis trade. And one reason that people like talk about the basis trades is, like I've been thinking, like all week, like there's been huge moves in asset prices, driven entirely by like economic fundamentals and like government policy, right, but like huge moves and asset prices, And so every day you wake up and you're like, well, there's been huge moves in asset prices. What hedge fund is going to blow up? Right, Because like when they're big, like fundamental moves, like someone blows up, Right, And so you think a lot about contagion and deleveraging. And if you think about contigent and deleveraging, and you've been worrying about the basis trade for years and also know that the basis trade is run at like one hundred to one leverage ratios. Then like you know, you might think maybe someone is blowing out of a basis trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's natural that you would think that. Also. I think it was Torston slock Over at Apollo who had a note out this week saying that he estimates the basis trade there's like eight hundred billion dollars in it right now. It makes sense why you would reach for that, given all the things that you just laid out. But I think also that people reach for it because it's hard to prove. We haven't seen any reports of a hedge fund blowing up.
Speaker 1: Like I really scare at these reports because I'm very interested in this question. And like there's definitely like stories like people are getting some margin calls, some hedge funds are doing some selling, but no one's like this fund liquidated at all its positions and shut down, right, Like there's no real this location. Yeah, Scott Bessen said this morning something like or said sometime this week something like this is a uncomfortable but normally leveraging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you would expect, right, you would expect him to say that you.
Speaker 1: Know, I know, I know, but it also seems correct so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there's two trades that we're watching, right, It's the basis trade, but also it's swaps, like what's going on with asset swaps. There's a great piece from Edward Bolingbrook, and I kind of lump these together, but then I was reading a Wall Street Journal article that explained that these are two similar but different trades. Yeah, like swap spreads.
Speaker 1: Right, they're related trades because like on the one side of either trade you have like owning physical treasury bonds and on the other hand, you have some sort of interest rate derivative. So like with futures, it's like the basis trade is like you buy a treasury bond and you sell the futures contract that corresponds to that treasure bond. Swap spreads are like you sell a interest rate derivative that basically moves sofa. But it's it's kind of like the same, like it's like an unfunded long term interest rate contract.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And there again, like there's been a trade there where people think like treasuries will do well relative to the derivative for whatever reason. The reason has to be something like people will have better funding to buy treasuries, and so like one of the reasons for the basis trade in the swabs trade is like a belief that Trump would deregulate banks in such a way that banks would be more interested in using their balance sheet to hold actual treasuries, and so therefore demand for physical treasuries would go up relative to like demand for interest rate derivatives, which don't require as much balance sheet, and so banks would buy more treasuries. And so one reason to do like a basis trade of some form is because you think treasuries will go out relative to futures, and so you are betting on someone buying the treasuries from you. And one thing that's happened this week until today is for whatever reason, people are less interested in buying treasuries from you. Some of that is like been baked in for several weeks of like the projections about banks buying a lot of treasures because of regulation easing up don't seem to be coming true. And then some of it is like whatever fundamental events went on this week where people didn't want to buy treasuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the swaps trade as I understand it, like that peaked in February, so that's been coming off the boil for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the futures trade has too a little bit. But yeah, yeah, but all those swab spreads collapsed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they cratered. I think that they hit at least a multi year low, if not a record low. But yeah, I don't know. I wonder where this goes in this new world or order.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I will say that, you know, we were talking about the violent stock reaction to the upside to the ninety day pause. You saw shortened yields in the treasury market rise pretty sharply. The long end didn't react. Of course, I wanted timestamp this. We're talking on Wednesday, mid afternoon. But I don't know, Like I hear what you're saying that a product of these pols would just be people don't want to own US assets in general, but at least treasuries. The long end of the treasury curve had the narrative that, oh my god, we're worried about the economy, maybe might as well buy long end treasuries is a safe haven. But that obviously didn't happen this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of different markets for it, right, and like, yeah, nextent some of the market for long end treasures as tour and buyers. You can imagine less demand from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it was expected though. I mean I've been tweeting about the treasury market all week, and I've had a lot of like tinfoil hats about since China dumping treasuries, if you knew this is going to happen, uh, I guess it was just expected that that haven impulse economic hard times you buy treasuries, that it's your muscle memory overwhelmed any overseas selling that you would see because China and Japan had been selling treasuries for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wrote on that today, like Wednesday, Like the musclim memory stuff is like so interesting, right, Like in previous episodes of problems for the credit of the United States, people are like, better buy treasuries, right, and like it's not obvious that would always last forever. Yeah, you might like have some development that made you think, well, if like the demand for US financial assets goes down, then I should sell treasuries rather than buy them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, We'll see mortgage rates are still really high, So I'm sad about that. Is there anything else to say about the Basis train at this moment? Seems scary?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like there's a broader question of like will anyone blow up in this crazy volatility? Yeah, Like I don't know, Like you know, in general, like the theory is that banks are supposed to make money during periods of crazy volatility, but it's like that's like inaggregate and then like one person should blow up, right because they just get the crazy volatility wrong. Right. Someone was like, Oh, the market is so much further to go down, and like they got positioned themselves really short, and then like there's this huge rally on Wednesday asternoon. Yeah, someone's got to blow up.
Speaker 2: That's all. Some stat that the Basis trade is like double the size of what it was in twenty twenty when it blew up last and I still haven't seen any reports I've had trunk blow ups. So that'll be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be fun. Not an old Tiff episode.
Speaker 2: Do you have to talk about ETFs? Can we just say one thing? This was this was Matt's idea. Matt wanted to talk about leverage GTFS. This episode seen some comments on Spotify. I read all the comments. Someone said that this has turned into a boring ETF podcast. It's not my fault, man. This was Matt's idea, at least for this week.
Speaker 1: This is not a boring idea.
Speaker 2: This is The other ones were absolutely.
Speaker 1: The defiance micro strategy double short heads DTF. Its trade is it takes your money. It goes short a two time levered micro strategy ETF, and it also goes short two times levered inverse micro strategy ETF, So it is short two levered ETFs, one long, one short, so net it's short long micro strategy and short short micro strategy, each one doubled. So it's nothing right. It is neither long nor short micro strategy. All it is is it is short. The weird structural feature, which we've discussed more than once on this podcast, the weird structural feature of levered ETFs, which is that they track two times the move and micro strategy each day, but if you hold them for more than one day, they fail to track two times the move and micro strategy, and they weird, and like much of the time. The way they get weird is that they have some like slippage where they get less than the expected return. Yeah, and so if you're on the other side of that, you're you know, getting more than the expected return basically. And so like this thing has like they like a back test that makes like thirteen percent or something with no market risk, no correlation to anything else, just like a weird anomaly in the ETF market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a real Frankenstein. I mean, as you laid out leverage gtfs, both long and short, they are one day only funds, especially you know for some of the crazier ones, that's really the only realistic holding period. I am a little bit salty because I wrote about a similar trade in my newsletter. It's called ETFIQ about Robert or Not of Research Affiliates. You did, he does this trade on the side. He told me that he likes too short both leverage long and inverse ETFs, and he described it as a slow, boring money machine, which I find really charming because I'm I mean, you would think that you would have to have a strong stomach to do this, to be shortening leverage gtfs, But I mean, as you just both sides exactly.
Speaker 1: You probably should have a strong stomach because like it's a boring money making trade for a reason, which is that it has some probability of blowing up in your face, right, Yeah, And the way it blows up in your face is like basically, the way these ets work is like they rebalance each day, and so the long one, like, every time the stock goes up, it has to buy more stock. Every time the stock goes down at the sell more stock, and so it is like volatility amplifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if.
Speaker 1: The stock bounces around a lot, then it's constantly buying high and selling low and like bleeding because like people call it like volatility decay, Like they're yeah, bleeding like value each time they buy high and solo. But if the stock keeps going up, you're just compounding that. And so in fact, if the stock goes up every day, you get more than two times the return on micro strategy because you're like, you know, you keep buying into it. And so similarly, if you do this trade and the stock moves in one direction for a long time, I'm like, you're no longer fully edged, right, Like one of your legs those much better than the other leg. So it's a risky trade. Yeah, it's you know, it's effectively a market making trade, right, Like these ETFs are like creating volatility. They're like they're trading with someone on the other side who is like kind of a market maker and like selling them the volatility that they're giving people. We talk about them so much, like there's this podcast on this podcast, but people talk about like in general, there's sort of like a known thing that people kind of make fun of. And so if you're like a second level sophisticated retail investor, it's like, I know that people make fun of these like double levertytfs. How do I get on the other side of that? It's like, well, there's an ETF for that too. Yeah, Like people like Rob or not like are like how do I get on the other side of that? And you like do the trade, but then like someone's like, how do I package being on the other side of that and sell it to more retail investors?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, something that Rob and I talked about is that, yes, it's a great trade, but the borrowing costs can be pretty punishing. He's give me some details on his returns from doing this, and you know, I wrote this at the end of March, so things have changed. But he said. The twenty twenty fours gain for shorting again both long and inverse triple leverage GTFS, was around thirteen percent. Half of that went to borrowing costs for the short positions. You add in about five percent for collateral, and the return was about twelve percent. But that's with zero beta zero correlation to just about anything. That's a good trick, not a brilliant strategy, not of costs, but fun and low risks. So it's fun.
Speaker 1: It's fun. Yeah, it's one thing for Ropper or not to do it. I like the idea of like you look at the landscape of ETFs and you're like, what ETFs should people get mad about? I'm going to do the opposite of them. Yeah, it's like this is like the very like arcane version of that. But they were like, you know, anti Kathy Wood ETFs, where it was like, what are people negative about? I'm going to sell an ETF that package? Is that negativity? This is like people are negative about double levered ETFs. I'm going to find a way to make money on that.
Speaker 2: Here's the other side. Yeah, I'm interested to see these launch. It's just a filing. So sure. Rob did also say to me that anyone who buys a triple leverage GTF is crazy if they don't lend it out, because you did mention that there's a relatively short supply of these leverage gtfs that are available for lending, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: Like everybody who buys a triple LEVERYTF is there in sub sort of retail account, and some of them may not be aware that they can lend it out, or they may be they're brokers lending out for them. Probably so, as I mentioned, next week, I'm on vacation, and so I will not be recording a money Stuff podcast, but.
Speaker 2: Fear not, fear not.
Speaker 1: In approximately fifteen seconds will be recording a mail of that episode, which will air next week.
Speaker 2: Mail that.
Speaker 1: And that was the Money Stuff podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Levian and I'm Katie Greifeld.
Speaker 1: You can find my work by subscribing to the money Stuff newsletter on Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 2: And you can find me on Bloomberg TV every day on Open Interest between nine to eleven am Eastern.
Speaker 1: We'd love to hear from you. You can send an email to Moneypod at Bloomberg dot net. Ask us a question and we might answer it on air.
Speaker 2: You can also subscribe to our show wherever you're listening right now and leave us a review. It helps more people find the show.
Speaker 1: The Money Stuff Podcast is produced by Ana Mazerakus and Moses on Them.
Speaker 2: Our theme music was composed by Blake.
Speaker 1: Maples, Brandon Francis Newnham. It is our executive.
Speaker 2: Producer and Stage Bauman is Bloomberg's head of Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Money Stuff Podcast. We'll be back next week with more stuff