Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number three eighty eight of the Marine Layer Podcast. It's a mailbag episode, so we'll open it up and answer your best listener questions.
Speaker 2: Reminder of you, guys, before we start this podcast, just do us a big favor. If you're listening, go download these episodes and make sure you go rate and review five stars. If you're listening on YouTube and watching on YouTube, go like comment and hit the subscribe button. Subscribing just takes a second, It's easy. It really supports the channel, so make sure you go do that. You can check us out on our website marine layerpod dot com. All of our stuff's there, Merch is all there, Patreon's there, episodes are all there. That's marine layerpod dot com. And make sure you go find us everywhere across social media at marine layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, Recording here on Thursday day, evening, April ninth. Lyle, did the Mariners score run since we last recorded?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, how many runs have they scored this week?
Speaker 2: That would be three? Three total runs in how many games? Oh? That'd be three games? Oh, Oh, listen, we have a loaded mail bag for people. I don't know how many of you guys were listening to the podcast we did after the Raise series last September, where it was just as bad as possible, But we did a mega mail bag we called it where we just took a ton of questions from a ton of people, ripped through a ton of answers and it was really fun. Rather than doing so much deep diving on every question, we were just hitting a bunch of them. I think that's what we're gonna do today because spoiler, nobody wants to hear us talk about that shitty ass series and shitty ass road trip for that matter.
Speaker 1: It was bad, worst start since two thousand elevee and that was a good year, right They rebounded?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah great. I mean, seriously, we were this close on Wednesday from getting to use that Bob Uker clip from Major League where he looks at the box score. It's like and Cleveland has one hit, that's all. We've got one goddamn hit, Because the Marators had two hits on Wednesday and we were one off from getting.
Speaker 1: To use that, and we we tweeted out our first meme of the year or post on our Instagram first losing meme of the year. It's it's like, oh my god, this was the worst game. No, no, no, it's the worst game so far this season.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the Simpsons movie? Yes, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say that, it's it's been a long time, but yeah, that's where it's from.
Speaker 2: Homer comes and picks up Bart, and Bart's like, this is the worst day of my life, and Homer goes, worst day of your life so far.
Speaker 1: Next one that gets posted will be the thank you Fans graphic.
Speaker 2: That one's always a banger. Have you noticed that the Mariners and honestly other teams out there too, have stopped tweeting that at the end of the year they do something else now too late, we.
Speaker 1: Got one, we got one of them saved.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think teams started to realize that just gets memed every year now, so they stop tweeting that.
Speaker 1: Well, we will certainly touch on every topic you think you wanted us to talk about in this episode regarding the Mariners, of like concerns you have, any sort of like niche questions will be answered in this mail bag. We have over twenty mailbag questions, so I think we're gonna hit on every single topic possible. A reminder, do you, guys before we get into this mail bag. If you want mailbag priority and you want your questions answered on every single mailbag, the place to go is our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. You get access to not only mailbag Priority, but you get ad free episodes and you can get on a monthly video call with Lowney and get all of your Mariners question answered. So that sounds like something that would interest you, go to Patreon dot com slash Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 2: I'll give everybody another incentive since we take any questions on any topics and are just total diabolical Mariners fans. Again, we get into the weeds with this stuff. Think about this. While the rest of the sports media world is currently spending this week talking all about Mike Rabel and Diana Russini, we're gonna spend a Thursday episode in the middle of April talking about potential ex wobas from a Mariner's utility player.
Speaker 1: And I'll raise you one even better. As we get into our first mailbag question, we're gonna talk about a former Mariners prospect who's now one of the worst players in Triple A. Lyle floated it out there on when Wednesday's episode, saying, if we got enough people asking us about Jared Kelnick, we tell some Jared Kelnick stories on this podcast. Because we got so many of them, Lyle, We're gonna lead off the mailbag with it. It's not gonna be one person asking this question. We got a lot of questions from this Tolile take it away, Flora's yours.
Speaker 2: I will say this, a lot of these questions throughout the episode will be rapid fire because we're gonna try to get through a lot. This one we will spend a little more time on because I didn't know what the response was gonna be from people. I didn't know if a lot of people had just moved on from Jared Kellnick and just felt like it was a non story at this point. No, we got a lot of response from a lot of people saying, Oh, I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say about it, So I guess there is still interest.
Speaker 1: This is where it relates back to the megamailbag from the end of last year before the Mariners went on their run. People don't want to hear about the actual Mariners team. They want to think about a different Mariners team, like the twenty twenty one to two or three Mariners, or in the case of the end of last year, it's a hypothetical Mariners team.
Speaker 2: It just breaks my heart with Jared Man it does. And getting into some of these stories I think will further detail why to give people a little bit of context who haven't seen Jared Klnick's with the White Sox organization this year. He didn't make the team out of big league camp, which is a tough scene in its own right when you're not making the White Sox big league roster. But now he's in Charlotte, and while it's only been eight games and he could turn things around through eight games, he is a three thirty two ops in Triple A.
Speaker 1: Oo. Yeah, it's not very good. No.
Speaker 2: So what we said on Wednesday's podcast is a lot of people failed Jared Kelnick. Obviously it's ultimately on the player to make the most of their career, but a lot of people really failed him. There's the stuff that's already public out there, which we can start with. Number One, I will never not be convinced that the COVID season totally warped his development.
Speaker 1: Is that fair because that was his age twenty season in which he would have gotten another season of development, and he wouldn't have been up at the big leagues right away. He would have spent maybe two months of that season in Double A, he would have got some seasoning in Triple A, and he would have debuted as a Mariner at age He would have been twenty one at this point in the second half of the twenty twenty season, but he would have had a regular spring training. He would have had regular progression within the minor leagues at the Double A level and then the Triple A level, and then he would have gotten sort of what Cole Emerson is gonna get this year. The Mariners are not going to rush Cole Emerson too the big leagues. In that case, in twenty twenty, the Mariners would have still been rebuilding. They treated that year still as another rebuild year instead of as kind of an in between like they were in twenty twenty one when Jared did debut, So it would have been a little bit of a softer landing into the big leagues for Jared Kelnick if he had a normal prospect progression in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Instead, there was no season. There was no minor league season, so guys like Kelnick did not get to play real games. They had to take a bunch of live at that in summer camp. And then, if you remember, in addition to that, the first month of the minor league season in twenty twenty one was canned. The minor league season didn't start till May that year because there was still a bunch of labor negotiations going on.
Speaker 1: If I remember right, they didn't want to pay the minor leaguers, right, That's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So from September of twenty nineteen until May of twenty twenty one, Jery Kalmick was not playing in real affiliated baseball games. Think about how long that is. That is insane. You're getting close to two years now.
Speaker 1: The development of that is tough to rebound from, and we've seen a lot of that with the twenty twenty draft, which has been really hit or miss with a lot of these prospects. Their development is unlike any draft classes development that has happened in MOB history.
Speaker 2: You haven't heard much from Austin Martin or Ace Lace these days, that's for sure. Those guys were top five picks.
Speaker 1: Now, Ace Lacey never made the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is he still pitching? Is he still in the minors? I'm guessing maybe maybe not.
Speaker 1: Pitching her Well, he as Lacey got to professional baseball and was never good unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Anyway, There is that aspect of it when I say people failed him again. The other part of this this is public is the Mariners failed him. I know there was a bunch of outside noise about getting him on the team that year, but the Mariners did not do right by him, in addition to all the time he missed between COVID and the first month of the season in twenty twenty one, the Mariners yanked him up after six games at twenty one years old, after almost a year and a half off put him at the top of the lineup, asked them to save the offense because they had a bad offseason. They weren't getting butts and seats and they they needed a savior, and they put unfair expectations on a twenty one year old who was not fully developed yet.
Speaker 1: M M and as will be a theme with this answer to this question. Jared didn't process failure very well, so to put a prospect who had just taken essentially a year and a half off from playing real baseball games, give him six games in Triple A and then present him with the biggest challenge of his life right away, and then he fails instantly and it doesn't work. It doesn't work for the meritors. It doesn't work for Jared either in that situation. Given right off the bat, he had a historic over that had him get sent back to the minors, right and it was an over forty one over thirty nine something like that.
Speaker 2: It was bad and that was the story, right in addition to all the Kevin Mathers stuff that was out there that year. It was not a good offseason. They didn't add much because they were still trying to just focus on the young core, but it didn't lead to a team being rolled out that was all that competitive, especially early on. The offense was non existent, especially through the first six weeks.
Speaker 1: Which it's funny why they called him up. If the mindset of the season and they approached it this way at the deadline, the mindset of the season was develop right, and what they did with Jared was not developed at all. It was quite the opposite.
Speaker 2: It really, looking back on it, doesn't We'll both put our hands up right here saying that we wanted Jared Kellennick up in the big leagues at that point.
Speaker 1: We were sorely mistaken. It was the wrong decision. We were not thinking clearly.
Speaker 2: A lot of people were in our boat with that. Now there's the part of it that we've just heard enough times and we've collected stories that we're going to share it with you. I don't think a lot of this is out there, maybe not that I've ever noticed. But when we say people failed him, we talked about the Mariners, we talked about the last season. Things we've heard, Man, is his dad sounded like a nightmare. I'm going to be totally real. So his family built baseball facilities in Wisconsin, and they were always always super invested in baseball and their kids baseball, clearly to the point where they're they're building baseball facilities out there. But man, we heard enough times some stories about that. To have his dad and his ear all the time sounded pretty toxic. We would hear stories constantly that when Jared would have a day where he'd, let's hypothetically say, went two for four with a home run when he'd talked to his dad, which sounded like a lot. And his dad was very, very, very involved with his career, including when he was in the big leagues. When it's you know, it's not your dad as the coach anymore. There's a big league team here trying to develop you. His dad's in his ear constantly, whether it was on the phone, whether it was games he traveled out to in person, saying not nice home run, not way to have a game tonight, it was why did you strike out in the fifth inning. It wasn't that he went two for four and had a couple of hit His dad was all focused on, well, why'd you strike out? What happened? Like? Why you strike it out? Like? And a mindset like like, a mindset like that and a relationship like that is not something that just starts when you become a big leaguer. That seems like it's something that clearly was a thing over a long period of time.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's not a very healthy way to think about baseball, because baseball, as any coach would have told you growing up, as a game of failure. You need to be okay failing if you're going to play baseball like that mindset right there does not allow for failure, and that's it's impossible for the game that it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, especially imagine being twenty one years old. Forget all of the adjusting to the big league side of it. Just where your mindset and prefrontal cortexas as a twenty one year old kid. I mean, we're just at asu like going out to the bars with our friends. At twenty one years old. He's got the weight of a city on him. At twenty one years old, he's not fully developed, and that's not enough to deal with. Like you've got somebody who's supposed to be one of the one of your biggest supporters, but insteadies in your ear. It's essentially sounding like in some ways, whether he meant to or not, he's like your biggest hater, is your biggest critic all the time. And even when he was successful in high school and through the minors and when he was on the showcase trying to get drafted. You know, if all you hear is the negative about the couple of bats where you get out versus the oh, you just had a four hundred something foot bomb, Like I can mess with the mindset of somebody a lot. Imagine hearing that at sixteen seventeen, when again it's becoming pretty clear he's going to be a high draft pick. But to have somebody in your ear at a time like that of your life when you're a teenager and you're trying to figure out a lot, like why are you striking out in this one a bat of a showcase in game two of a fifth inning when you probably went ten for twelve, but you struck out once. It's a lot to handle, man, And I can't imagine that's the healthiest way for a player to go through his baseball career.
Speaker 1: And then add in the fact that once Jared got to the big leagues, this was the first time he had really failed in his entire life. Twenty one years old. He had been the best player for a long, long, long time, and people have been telling him that he's the best over and over and over and for some people, and this is not the most shocking thing. You need to learn to deal with failure because it's something you quite literally have not had to deal with ever. And then all of a sudden, it all happens at once, and there is not the proper mechanisms in place to support that failure.
Speaker 2: Right, he's in the middle of that over forty slump to start his big league career, and I'm sure it's already enough on him when he's already so wound up tight the way he is. But then again, you have his dad, probably in his ear, saying, you keep pressing, you're swinging and missing, you're chasing, Like I wouldn't want my parents doing that to me, Not in little league, not in high school, none of it, certainly not if I was a big leaguer.
Speaker 1: And then what about the team around him too, Like, I'm thinking back to that twenty twenty one roster, and this is obviously with I'm saying this from someone with no information on this, but I'm just looking at the way the roster is laid out. It's not a very established roster, because this roster had been picked apart over the course of the last two years to where there's not a ton of established long term mariners that you would say are entrenched in leadership positions. The two guys you would think of are Mitch Hanneger and Kyle Seeger. And we could say this for at least one of these two guys because he made this very public. Kyle Seger was pretty disgruntled at this point and was not a huge fan of the Mariners organization. I don't know how he was as a leader to somebody like Jared Kellenick. Like when I remember when Kyle Seger came off the field at the end of the twenty one season, Jared had some tears in his eyes, So there's clearly some connection there, But like what kind of I don't think the leadership of that twenty one team compares to what this group in last year and this current year in twenty twenty six had, Where I say, it's a healthier team construct for a young player to come in and fail and have the support around him.
Speaker 2: For sure, it is not the same leadership from that team as it now is with this team. I'll tell I'll tell one other story, which again I don't I don't think is really out there, although if you talk to people and are around the game much, it's it's not the world's best kept secret. But I don't know if it's been written about or anything. When Jared got sent down to the minor leagues, it was either the first or second time. There's a story. We've heard from enough different people that he was so furious after a strikeout wants in Tacoma that he goes into the Rainiers clubhouse and with a bat essentially breaks every single toilet in that clubhouse, like one by one, smashed it, smashed it, smashed it, like complete meltdown, like insanity. I'm sure he had to pay for it. Some of you are probably gonna hear that story and laugh and say, oh my god, that's insane. Some of you are probably gonna hear that story and say, well, this is why the Mariners got rid of him. He couldn't figure it out mentally. I hear a story like that, and truly, like I said at the start of this, I really just I feel so bad for him. There's so many ways where this could have worked out. But when you hear a story like that, it just shows that, again, like with different with different messages being sent to you potentially internally, like in your ears, reactions like that don't happen because that is so next level for one strikeout, and you're so mad about it that it leads to behavior like that, And it just makes me wish he had more positive messaging in his ear and more of the right people in his ear, because again, that's not normal. You're gonna destroy every every toilet in a minor league clubhouse. We know he was tightly wound up, We know he was fiery. Why do we think that is that didn't just happen overnight. You know, there's an upbringing with that stuff.
Speaker 1: It is possible that even if everything around him was right, that he still fails because of course, prospects busts all the time. But you're right, we would love to have loved to see him have that opportunity, knowing what we know.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, again, there's no guarantee, and I'll say what I said at the start, it is ultimately on the player to figure it out with your own career. That being said, again, we told you guys, we tell you some stories. There are definitely a couple of stories in there that I don't think are really out there a ton. That's what we know, that's what we've heard, And like we said, we're transparent with you guys. When when we hear things that we think are interesting, long as we're not going to get in crazy trouble for it, we'll share it. And we have heard those stories again, the stuff about his dad, certainly the clubhouse story in Tacoma, and it just makes you wish man things have gone so differently. I'm not much of a Hugger in general. I wish I could just give Jared hugg honestly, because I just feel for him.
Speaker 1: Totally lot of totally reasonable thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of people failed him. It's ultimately on him, it's on the player, but people failed him.
Speaker 1: We get a lot of more mailbag questions to get to. But before that, Lile, let's pause for an ad. We always want our listeners to be informed about the game of baseball, and the Mariners, believe it or not, there was a time where we had to learn what catch probability was or why a manager only uses his closer in the ninth inning, and it's our goal to make sure everyone understands these things when they listen to us. You can think about accidents in Davis Law Group the same way they want you to know your rights in the case of an accident. That's why Chris Davis, founder of the Davis Law Group, wrote a series of Washington accident books. He turned common questions into easy to understand books to help people navigate the process, and they've given away over one hundred thousand free copies to people across Washington. They want you to be informed. Davis Lag Group has been representing accident victims since nineteen ninety four. They're one of the top rated locally owned personal injury firms on Google, and their in house investigation team can handle complex cases and will prepare every claim like it's going to trial. They only take cases when they believe they can truly help, and you don't pay a fee unless they get you a result. If you've been injured and want to better understand your options, you can request a free, no obligation case evaluation with their team. Just click the link in our bio or visit DLG sattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. That's DLG sattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. All right, let's rip through these. Let's start with our Patreon questions. We have Michael, who asks, is there a reasonable in season answer to the Dan Wilson problem.
Speaker 2: No, no, there's not, because unless somebody's gonna get in his ear and tell him to start managing differently and start going off the numbers and the process more what do you fix? How do you change this in season? He has to one be willing to adapt and two then go execute it. Are those things gonna happen?
Speaker 1: I'd say it's pretty simple. He either improves or he gets fired. That's it. You like the problem solves? Oh sorry, not just gets fired. But then the Maritors would need to put an interim manager in there who does a better job it.
Speaker 2: It seems unlikely. It's like we said on the last episode on Wednesday's podcast, this is what the Mariners signed up for. They say that everything he does in the clubhouse is so great that it outweighs all the poor in game management that goes on on the field. I don't buy all that because I think the stuff on the field has acted wins and losses. It certainly did in the playoffs. But that's what the Mariners believe. So again, they've signed up for this. There are things that we could sit here and say, yes, here's how it could improve, But how do the Mariners themselves improve it. I just don't think it does. Man. It's either he is willing to adapt and get better with the decisions, or it's going to stay the same.
Speaker 1: Or they let someone else make the decisions.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it seems unlikely.
Speaker 1: It does seem very unlikely. Next question comes from Bryson on Patreon, and Bryson asks, as longtime Emerson Hancock supporters, how does it feel that he's finally breaking out?
Speaker 2: Awesome? Because he's one of the best dudes you'll ever meet, not even just baseball people, so cool and sure, there's the whole element of him being a number six pick out of Georgia and him starting to figure out how to adapt in a big league setting and figuring out how to miss bats and figuring out how to be truly effective. But we've talked so much about the numbers. We talked about him lowering his arm angle by five or six degrees in previous episodes. We've talked about how he's got three real pitches now with the fastball, the sinker, and the sweeper. We've talked about a lot of the nuts and bolts of it. How does it feel? It feels awesome? Because this podcast is an Emerson Hancock supporting podcast. We are Emerson Hancock guys through and through and to see him have the success, yeah, we take victory laps for that.
Speaker 1: For his sake, I'm happy for him because this is also a really long stretch. He's been healthy, and part of the reason I think at the beginning of his career he wasn't as successful is because he wasn't totally healthy. He couldn't get the volume of innings under him that he needed. Then he's finally healthy and he gets his velocity back, and then he's finding the things that don't work. So now he has the runway again to tinker and get to a point where it actually does work for him. And that's what pitchers should do. If something's not working, you're either not going to fix it and be bad, or you're gonna try and at least try and fix it and it could potentially work out for you. And through two starts this year, and he's gonna get quite a test this weekend against the Houston Astros for how well he's pitched. It's it's through two starts who he worked out for him and that makes us very happy. We tell him when we see him, like you've you've looked great.
Speaker 2: This is We're thrilled for you. Although it's funny, Emerson doesn't like hearing a lot of that stuff. You can just tell We love Emerson and he's always great to talk. He's a great talker, super friendly, always awesome to us. But he does not like to take in a lot of the praise. He is very like, I bet, I gotta keep getting better. I got to keep getting better. I gotta find ways to be more effective.
Speaker 1: He just will work in like a yeah, we played great, exactly.
Speaker 2: He immediately turns it to the team, the team, which honestly, yet again, just speaks to who Emerson Hancock is.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from Eric on Patreon. Eric's question is, did Brian and We'll give Mike Trout the chin music on purpose?
Speaker 2: No? No, he did not, And if you're.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he threw up an in on purpose, but he wasn't trying to intimidate Mike Trout or throw at him.
Speaker 2: And now for our next act on the podcast, ty Buttree thoughts, Dude, I mean, did some of you guys see on Twitter that after the video we made about that whole thing and saying how dumb his take was on it, that He's like, let me on the podcast so I can explain ball to you guys over my dead body. Dude, Not a chance, Nope, no.
Speaker 1: Uh I mean, Brian Wu was definitely pitching up and into Mike Trout to try and exploit his weak spots. And sometimes pitchers will throw up and in to get guys off the plate who crowded the plate, and there's always risk of hitting the batter. In that case, this was baseball, That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Brian Wu was trying to throw a strike at the upper end part of the zone. Yes, he was not trying to hit Mike Trout.
Speaker 1: No, Usually the Angels are the ones who start these things. Well you had to do is wait later in the week.
Speaker 2: Oh but then you have all their fans saying that Mariner's fans are deranged and delusional, et cetera. When you've got Angels fans apparently sending Casey Legamina threats like nice going guys, sick. Divish wrote a story on that. It literally said Casey Legamina knew it was waiting for him when he opened his phone after that game on Sunday, and and and and Casey said, I don't really read them. I just delete them. I just want to ignore them. But yeah, oh here come, here come all the flurry of threats from Angels fans. Who are the ones calling Mariners deranged and calling them delusional, But then here they are sending threats to a picture because he accidentally hit somebody.
Speaker 1: I I don't even know what to say, but okay, you must move on to the next one.
Speaker 2: You must.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from.
Speaker 2: You must have missed Divish writing that yeah it was a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh I missed it. Yeah, yeah I missed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: Some baseball fans are something. We'll just say that. Next question comes from Caid on Patreon. Caid's question is, all right, how many years are we going to keep having the same conversation around this team? Elite pitching, inconsistent offense, and everyone's saying it will just click eventually.
Speaker 2: I don't think we've said that, guys, well, we do think obviously it's only been thirteen games. We know that, but we made it very clear. I think on the last podcast on social media that here's where I think ninety five percent of the heads of people are at, and I think it's totally warranted. Everybody, deep down knows it's early. Deep down, everybody knows that, but nobody, and I mean nobody including us, wants to hear about that. I don't want to hear about Oh, don't worry guys, like, eventually it'll just fix itself. Whether that's true or not, nobody wants to hear about that. So yes, like, like, I understand why people are frustrated and don't want to hear these stories. We don't want to. We don't want to sit here and blow smoke either. But when will it change in terms of elite pitching struggling offense. I think your answer is as good as mine on that. Man, I don't think we have a perfect answer.
Speaker 1: I do disagree with part of this question because at the end, Kid says, this looks like the same team we've been watching for years, Like we do, only have to go back one year to see the exact opposite. The Mariners were four and eight last year, and then what did they do? Lole after they were four and eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then they finished April on a really good note.
Speaker 1: They went sixteen and four and had the best offense in baseball in that stretch. So quite literally, that is different.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, don't mention June.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not gonna mention June. And I'm gonna also mention the roster last year was significantly worse than this year. That should give you optimism that things can literally change on a whim. Want to. By the way, there were four and eight after losing a game in twelve innings at home to the Astros in which they scored one run.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I've drew pretty bad after that game.
Speaker 2: And when you say the roster last year was worse, you mean at this time last year.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, At this time last year you had Rowdy Tellez, you had Donovan Solano, you had pictures hurt. It's not what you want.
Speaker 2: No. Again, I think everything you just said is true, But I also know fans don't want to hear all the coping mechanisms. They just want to know why they're not hitting, And I get it. I think again, two things can be true. It is objectively early in the season, but nobody wants to hear about that. It's early in the season.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from Xander on Patreon. Xander's question is is there a world where we see Colt come up? Donovan moved to left field and Randy moved to DH.
Speaker 2: Yes, not tomorrow, not by the end of the weekend, but yes, everybody wonders when Colt comes up? How Is this all gonna maneuver itself to get everybody the right playing time? Seems pretty simple to me. Man Brendan Donovan has played the most games in his career at second base and the second most in left field, where he is a perfectly average defender. Randy and Rosorina is not defending in left field, and Colt Emerson is going to play third base this year with JP Crawford still on the team. Seems pretty simple to me. Randy ain't play in the field, or at least not a majority of the time unless there's a lefty on the mound, and then you have Colt to third and Donovan and left. So when there's a righty on the mound, I think that's exactly what's going to happen. When there's a lefty on the mound. Sure, then you could see ref Schneider dhing, and then you could see Randy and left, and maybe then Donovan at third, and maybe Colt gets a day off in that sense stuff like that. But yes, I think that is very real.
Speaker 1: Your defense would get better in third and left, that's definite for certain. Are you taking don Canzone off the roster in that case?
Speaker 2: That part I don't know what exactly you do.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're one of ref Schneider or can Zone gonna be off the roster?
Speaker 2: Well, sure, Look, when Colt comes up, there has to be a corresponding move. Somebody's going to be off the roster.
Speaker 1: You'd have to cut one of them.
Speaker 2: Is Canzone out of options?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think he is. I thought he had one more you can tell me. I thought he had another option.
Speaker 1: He oh, he has two options? Yeah, okay, so don Kinzona go to Takoma, right.
Speaker 2: And we'll see how everybody's playing by that time. Because well, right now, if it were to happen tomorrow, which again it's not, but if it were, the move's Connor Joe, who's off the roster because Roblas just got hurt, you're under the assumption all four right fielders are healthy.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, And that's it's realistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that situation, I don't know what exactly they do by let's say the end of May, because that's when we've predicted he'll get up. We'll see who's hitting by then and who's not, and who the corresponding move is.
Speaker 1: Alex on Patreon asks after seeing the Red Sox double celebration is a cringey Roman Anthony TikTok video. Which mariner is most likely to have an old cringey TikTok video.
Speaker 2: This is a great question. You've seen that Roman Anthony TikTok, right, Yeah, it's bad. Yeah, I mean he's again he's in high school. Which, by the way, what is going on with his arm?
Speaker 1: Was he supposed to have a good.
Speaker 2: Arm, solid enough. Yes, it was not supposed to be like this. He's either got to be hurt or maybe as the yips something.
Speaker 1: Fatigue, anything's possible, fatigue in April.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I never know. Sometimes you sleep on your shoulder funny, and it's just not moving the way it should.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, you can look at his prospect raids. I think he was supposed to be about a fifty field a fifty throw so average, two above average, not like what we've seen in the first week and a half. Anyway, to answer the question, the mariner most likely to have an old TikTok that would go.
Speaker 1: Honestly, so easy, so easy.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say potentially Julio because he's very I don't know. He's charismatic, he's out there, like I wouldn't be surprised if he had some old dance that resurfaced.
Speaker 1: It's Cole Young, Yes, No, I mean he grew up. He is the one who grew up in the TikTok era on the roster.
Speaker 2: But you say that like he's so much younger than Julio. Julio's twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Julio has been I don't know, Julio's been playing professional baseball since Cole Young, before Cole Young was in high school.
Speaker 2: Look, Cole Young does have a slightly funny side to him, and he's definitely got some personality when when you get him going. But I don't know if he would coast TikTok.
Speaker 1: Do you think would be more likely to do that Roman Anthony video in high school? Julio or Cole Young? I think it's now.
Speaker 2: I will say this, Cole Young and Roman Anthony are solid friends. Maybe the apple doesn't follow that far from the tree. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I can't think of anyone else because everyone else is too old.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, or I know they say TikTok, but what if it's just some old dance somebody dad again. The video of cal as a kid got resurfaced last year, or it got sent out of him saying that's.
Speaker 1: Not ay TikTok dance.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm just saying it could be an old video. I'm the home run derby champ.
Speaker 1: Oh. I actually have my second choice now, Bryce Miller.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd buy that one. Actually. Bryce Miller literally has a TikTok that's made its rounds. It's that one of him in the clubhouse at spring training where he's he does a what does he do? He does a head flip roll and then he to the music. You know what I'm talking about Right now, there's a TikTok of Bryce Miller who's like he's holding he's like lying on the ground, he's got his phone out, and then he stands up and like rolls over his head essentially.
Speaker 1: Sure, I could totally see Bryce with like sunglasses, a cowboy and a cowboy hat, doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not? No? I like it?
Speaker 1: And I know, like Bryce like he doesn't really he doesn't give a shit, So I could totally totally see him doing that.
Speaker 2: Not in the sense like he doesn't give a shit about his on field play and his work ethic. No, he's an incredibly hard worker. But in the sense of like just being charismatic. Yeah, in terms of like himself, yeah, Like does Bryce Miller care about what other people think of him? No? I don't think at all in that way. No, he does not give a shit. No.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from nerf fan on YouTube, and the question is, with the way the Mariners are performing, do you think the timeline has possibly been sped up for prospects outside of Colt Emerson.
Speaker 2: No, because if Colt Emerson's not ready, I don't think you're rushing anybody else. We've talked about it with Lads that Lads is going to have to spend at least half of this season in Double A again before he even gets moved up to Tacoma, and he has to prove his strikeout rate can be manageable, Like, he has got to strike out somewhere at least in the mid twenty percent. He cannot be striking out thirty two percent of the time like he did last year. Michael Arroyo again similar to like, needs a little more time. Could he get up this year? Yes, but I don't think it's been rushed the prospects you're most likely to see here the two pitchers and Kate Anderson, Ryan Sloan. But those guys same thing. It wouldn't be till later in the summer.
Speaker 1: There's no glaring need from those guys on the Mariner's roster. To bring it back to Jared Kelnick, there was a glaring need for offense when they rushed him to the big leagues. The four guys I think of in this case are Las Michael Arroyo, Kate Anderson, and Ryan Sloan. Do the Mariners have a pressing need in any for any of those players on the roster. The answer to that question is no, unless you want to throw one of those guys in the bullpen. I don't think that's pressing enough to rush them to the big leagues, right, No, Michael Arroyo and Las Montes. When to have like a one to seventy w orc plus in double A for them the Marriners even to think about rushing them to the big leagues. Next question comes from uh use. The name starts with French on YouTube, and the question is who would have expected Cole Young to be the Mariner's best player thirteen games in.
Speaker 2: Hey, We're also a Cole Young podcast. We can put our hands up for Cole Young. No, I'm I'm kidding. I don't think we expect Cole Young's mom. Sure, I don't think we expected Cole Young to be the best player through two weeks. But again, I think I was pretty confident that he would take some strides forward. So I'm thrilled to see that he's doing that. I'm thrilled to see that he's been hitting lefties. But no, I don't think anybody predicted this for Cole Young to be the best player through two weeks, because again, for him to do that, it means that the middle of your order is ice ice, ice cold, and that's what they've been.
Speaker 1: Two things can be independently true. It's great for Cole and bad for the team that this is true.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. Uh, by the way I looked it up. Before you get to the next question, let me preface it by saying it's only been five games so far, but as we currently sit, Las Montes is walking just under sixteen percent of the time in double A pretty good. He is striking out just shy of fifty three percent of the time. Oh yeah, it's only been five games. Yeah, but but through nineteen played appearances, his strikeout rate is fifty two point six percent.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is just an organizational thing, because there's another really glaring strikeout metric that helped bring up beer in a little bit related to one of these questions, might be, uh, might be a bit of an org thing right now.
Speaker 2: Against lads has played five games this year. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna lose lose any sleep yet. But again, he has to cut the strikeout rates down. For everybody that loves seeing the home runs on social media when they get posted, they're great. But I would go on fangrafts pretty regularly and be checking his walk right and checking a strikeout rate, because if you want to know what's going to get him called up, those two things Blake asks.
Speaker 1: Is the team swing speed actually down? And is this a coaching move to try and increase average over slugging.
Speaker 2: We talked about this a decent bit on Wednesday's podcast, and just to summarize it again, there's no way to know for sure that it's a philosophy change. We would have to ask around more. Other people would have to ask around more to get a definitive answer on it. We can try. We'll certainly try and talk to some people. But are the bat speeds down? Yes, like all the numbers show that, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, TBD. The numbers do bear out that their bat speeds are down. But I think we also need to see some more games as well to get an idea whether this team is just bat offensively or they're going through a bad stretch, which both could be true. Next question comes from almost on Twitter, and the question is when do you think the mayor are going to hit some switch and go back to the Mariners we all know and love. I'm just gonna jump out and answer this question. This is as Mariners as on brand Mariners right now, as humanly possible. Yes, this is the Mariners we know in love.
Speaker 2: Take you back to twenty fifteen, expectations as high as humanly possible. They won less than eighty games that year.
Speaker 1: Next aout, How about this July.
Speaker 2: That's when it'll happen. They'll still win ninety plus games, they'll win the West. But is there a possibility they could just drive everybody crazy until the middle of the year. Yeah, possible. I hope not. I certainly hope not. But it's possible.
Speaker 1: It can be. Like the twenty twenty three team, the team that we declared the most five hundred team of all time, there was a point in like the middle of the season the Mariners had been five exactly five hundred and eighteen times insane insane stat Next question comes from Shane. This is also also a good one. Honestly, what has bothered me most with Seattle fans is is there no faith or loyalty?
Speaker 2: Now, I think there's faith and loyalty, and I think it's been tested beyond belief in the last twenty five.
Speaker 1: Years, twenty five fifty years.
Speaker 2: Well okay, I was thinking about the drought and then missing the playoffs in twenty three and twenty four.
Speaker 1: But yes, I mean we could add in the fact they were worse before the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yet the Mirror's crowd wise usually draw in the top half of the league every year, Like there are butts and seats at these games, even when people are tested, even when things aren't going well compared to the rest of the league, they actually average out okay in terms of attendance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say loyalty is not a question. I think just because people are angry about how the team is playing right now does not mean not loyal. I think honestly, it might mean they're even more loyal and they're people eventually just want a good thing to be good for a while. There's a lot of us, we're the perfect demographic for this, who have never seen a Mariners team that is good from start to finish. I think that's what people want. I also everyone else in baseball gets it. Why can't we get it?
Speaker 2: Correct? I also think, and I'm not blaming anybody for doing this, we do it all the time, all the time. But this is what happens when you spend too much time on Twitter and feel like there's a potentially a lack of loyalty, because like when you get your your mass opinion from Twitter, you're gonna see a lot of negative.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from Matt on Twitter. He asks, what's the problem with bringing up Colt right now to get a desperately needed jolt on offense and defense.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked about this pre recording fire away teach.
Speaker 1: Colt Emerson and Tacoma right now has one twelve of RC plus and today he had another good game offensively, but he is currently in Tacoma is striking out thirty two percent of the time and walking two point seven percent of the time. That is not feasible at the big league level. So Colt Emerson will be staying down in Tacoma until he gets those numbers closer to each other.
Speaker 2: Again, guys like twenty and ten again, Guys, I know it's enticing. I know you want to see them. We want to see them too. But if everybody can just get in their head expect Memorial Day or slightly later, I think we as a society, as Mariners fans, will be able to be in at a little bit of a better headspace. It's not gonna solve all the losing issues, right, It's like, again, I'm not saying having a different mindset with Colt Emerson is going to make the entire situation feel better and where the record stands. But if you can just accept, Okay, Colt Emerson's gonna be up Memorial Day or later, lock that in, everybody can digest it a little bit easier. Instead of always asking where's Colt, Where's Colt? Where's Colt? Just try and say that to yourself Memorial Day later. For Colt Emerson Memorial Day or June.
Speaker 1: What that is telling me is that he does not have control of the triple A strike zone yet. And if he's not controlling Triple A pitching, then he's definitely not gonna be controlling major league pitching at this moment. And if you were to bring him up, so we say, with all prospects, he would disappoint you. Prospects have never disappointed you ever, So if Colt Emerson's gonna come up at this point, he is going to disappoint you. And I don't want that for Colt. I want him to only impress when he comes up to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: This is why so many people love Laz. Laz Is never disappointed because most people just see the big home runs and the crazy power. If he was in the big leagues, I don't think, especially right now. Maybe one again, one day, he could absolutely figure it out, But right now, I don't think you want to see that version of Las Montes. It's the same thing with Colt. Jared Keelnick, we spent fifteen minutes at the start of this podcast, and you remember what happened to him when he got called up too early. Don't do that to Cole. You need him to be your shortstop for ten plus years and one of the better players on your team, potentially one of the better players in baseball. Let him be ready. Let him be ready so he never has to go back.
Speaker 1: Dustin has a statement, The slump in my mind is because you didn't improve the team you brought back the majority of you brought back almost everybody. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Look? Man Church was on with us before the start of the season and said something similar. He was lower on the Mariners and their win total than everybody because he said they were still multiple bats short. The Mariners went and retained a lot of their own guys, which is great. It helps him keep the core of that team together that they had last year through the run of the playoffs. But Sarah argument, they were multiple bats short, Yes it was. It was not a locked in solution in right field. It was not a locked in solution at say their base at least before you trade it for Donovan right like, like, you know, it's not un locked in situation at DH.
Speaker 1: Sure, but that's not the reason they stink right now.
Speaker 2: No, the reason they're not hitting is because everybody is collectively struggling. But just remember, just if this continues, just remember what Churchill said. He said, like the Mariners were multiple bats short in the offseason.
Speaker 1: That would rear its head in the postseason, I would imagine, or down the stretch in big series, not in April, when your best players are bad, When your best players are your worst players, that's why you're slumping. I disagree with that statement. Look, the team last year made the ALCS. They were good. Like the team is still right now, very good, and they're very talented. Are they perfect? No they're not. They're not perfect, But I don't see that.
Speaker 2: Look, they're odds to win the World Series. Are still in the top three to five across all the odds makers. Yes, of course this is a good team, and we've and we've kept that statement true. I'm just saying, if this continues, I just remember what Churchill said, and yes, all these stars are gonna figure it out. Of course they are. But just let's just see what the offense looks like by mid season and see, Okay, is this a good enough offense or did they need more bats? I don't think we know for sure. One way or another time will tell.
Speaker 1: Here's a deep philosophical question. Rex asks did God make me a Mariners fan because he hates me? Or is me being a die hard lifelong Mariners fan proof that there is no God at all?
Speaker 2: Now we're getting philosophical. People want to have us answer religion questions. This is like that clip of one of our favorites, Frank the Tank, when he gets asked, Frank, do you think God exists? And Franco's yes, and I believe he hates the Mets. It could be true. Maybe God hates the Mariners.
Speaker 1: Could be I will leave this up to everybody. They can make the decision on this one. I think that's fair and whatever you want to believe, you can believe.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think there's a wide range of opinions on that.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from Seawolf, and the question is would the Mariners consider trading Emerson Hancock if it brought us, brought the Mariners back a leverage reliever.
Speaker 2: As sad as, I would be legitimately heartbroken. I mean, it's not impossible, right. If Emerson keeps pitching like this and keeps upping his value, the Mariners are going to have to make some decisions at some point, because if Emerson proves he is a legit difference making big league starter over some real stretch of time. Then you've got Logan Gilbert Brian wu George Kirby, Bryce Miller, Luis Castillo, and Emerson Hancock six legit big league starters, with Kate Anderson and Ryan Sloan waiting in the wings. At some point you're gonna have to make some decisions with your rotation. Is that the craziest idea in the world. No, I certainly hope it doesn't happen again. I will be heartbroken. But as the logic behind me, that thinking somewhat sound. Yeah, I think it sound.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get super specific with this question because the wording is what the Mariners consider Emerson Hancock for a high leverage reliever. No, they would trade Emerson Hancock for a package that might include a reliever. But if Emeron Sin's as good as he's shown and he truly has changed, the Mariners know the value of that, and I don't think a leverage reliever is the return they would would want.
Speaker 2: Oh so, now you're getting into the specifics of the actual return, and you mean they'd probably want a young Bat or another young arm et cetera, along with the reliever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there would not trade a controllable, good major league starting pitcher for a reliever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean not one for one at least no, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, a reliever is part of the return.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what do you think about his overall thinking of is he, unfortunately for this podcast, potentially on the table if this keeps happening with the logjam they'd have of starters.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're gonna try to trade him, no, because I don't like unfortunately how it is they have guys in this rotation they will trade before Emerson Hancock who are closer to free agency and more expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah again again which like, yeah, ultimately you're right, they will not be looking to ship them out of town. No way, especially if he keeps pitching like this because he is very controllable. But it does continue to bring up again, man, do things get interesting if Emerson just keeps pitching, Well, how does this all shake out? Especially if this keeps going on into the summer, It is gonna be very very interesting.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from Alex on Instagram. What's the best case scenario for the MS at the end of April? And I'm just gonna get right to the answer to this question twenty two to nine.
Speaker 2: They went out, how about five games over five hundred? Oh okay, that works well because that the rest of the way, Well, if they're four and nine, you're saying they win eighteen straight, right, so they have eighteen more games. So if they're four and nine to be five over, they would have to win like what they'd have to be like thirteen. God, I'm such a dumbass. I can't do math again. We went to Asu. Whatever five games over.
Speaker 1: Is they they would lose. They would go fourteen and four to be five z over.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a really good stretch. Man.
Speaker 1: Do'll be what they did last year essentially?
Speaker 2: So that is what feels like best case scenario.
Speaker 1: Luke on Instagram asks what's gonna happen if the Mariners lose another series? Is the lineup gonna get blown up?
Speaker 2: Like your guy's gonna get traded, no, or moved down. I can't imagine that any of cal Julio and Naylor are gonna just get moved down, because like, where do they go all of a sudden, You're gonna have those guys hit six, seventh and eighth. I have a hard time believing that.
Speaker 1: It would have to be struggling into July for these guys to get moved down, or June. They might not wait three whole months, Like if Cal's slugging three hundred and hitting one twenty with no home runs into June, he's gonna get moved down in the lineup. Yeah, but another series, No, They're gonna stay right where they are. Next question comes from just Riley on Instagram, scale of one to ten. How word are you guys through the first four series.
Speaker 2: Honestly taking truths, tore them and not overplaying this? Two? Maybe three? It's hard to really have much of a concern level through thirteen games.
Speaker 1: I'm an a three.
Speaker 2: Okay it she looks great as it should. I think that's about right. I don't think you can be much more concerned than that. Check back with us at the end of April. About that.
Speaker 1: Hunter on Instagram asks how many more series losses need to happen before we see a shake up and management?
Speaker 2: I mean this is similar to the question earlier right about is there any way for an end season adjustment or like with Dan Wilson, or how do the decisions get better? Isn't it a certain isn't essentially a similar question, which the answer would be, I think things would have to go very south right.
Speaker 1: Indeed, June. We would need to see multiple bad months with bad decision making to realize that something needs to change here. It's similar to the lineup question. They would give a time if they're thinking like higher management than that with Jerry or Justin like that would need to be made in July if that were the case. But I don't think that's going to be the case because I think they did their job this year.
Speaker 2: They did and again and not just with the big league roster again, the farm system is in such a great place, as good as ever. They continue to draft great. They just made the playoffs that that wouldn't happen with Dan Wilson. You're right, they would have to be into June and really be losing. They would have to be what eight to ten games under five hundred in June.
Speaker 1: In last place. Yeah, and not only are they bad like they would, the vibes would be really bad like there were. You would feel the media pressure, there would be bad decisions getting made. That that would is what would need to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two more Vinnie asks on Instagram. Is it too early for an etsy witch?
Speaker 2: It's never too early for an Etsy witch. Vinnie I paid a Etsy witch to try and get Kyle Tucker to the Mariners. Didn't work, but I tried.
Speaker 1: Did you need your money back? By the way, No, I saw in the description that the wit if it doesn't come true, you get refunded.
Speaker 2: Oh, I should probably work on that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it expired. Things have a return policy expiration.
Speaker 2: Dude, you know how much fucking money I spent on.
Speaker 1: That nine dollars?
Speaker 2: That was seven? Yeah, Well that's what Kyle Tucker's worth to me.
Speaker 1: We'll close it out with Nenslow on Instagram. Where is Patrick Wisdom? We need someone who can catch lightning in a bottle, not a guy.
Speaker 2: Well, we did just post a clip about this here on Thursday, and we talked about it on Wednesday's podcast. That's not a viable solution Patrick Wisdom. I know he's got seven homers down in Tacoma and he started red hot. But those stories of the journeyman big leaguers who are crushing it in the PCL or crushing it in triple A, very very rarely do you ever hear about those guys getting up and long term helping the offense.
Speaker 1: Let's make a comparison to help out the people. Is Mike Ford gonna save the Mariners offense? No?
Speaker 2: I mean, and that man was just destroying baseball's in Tacoma. I think he had something like an elevens something like that.
Speaker 1: When Patrick Wisdom feel a little bit like Mike Ford, Yes, okay, And I know people hate the streakiness of this offense to the fact they strike out a ton and they right now don't walk enough. Patrick Wisdom's not going to help you with that. In fact, he's gonna make it worse.
Speaker 2: Mike Ford in twenty twenty three and Tacoma had a ten thirty one ops.
Speaker 1: That's he was crushing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also, where's Patrick Wisdom going to play? Whose job is he taking Brendan Donovan's, I mean Snaylor's the Oh, that's where he plays well.
Speaker 2: The only ways that could have happened were either he was going to come up instead of Connor Joe, which I'm sure the Mariners valued Joe's versatility and his ability to move to other positions a little bit more, or when Donovan had the scare in Anaheim when he stepped on first base. Funny, if he had had to go to the IL maybe that would have been a ten day solution at third base because they didn't want to bring up Colt Emerson yet and they would have brought up Wisdom. That's about it.
Speaker 1: I don't see where he gets reps now, So why are you going them out?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know who I'd rather be at that position, Cole to Emerson, Well not yet, no, not yet. But I also don't want to call Patrick Wisdom.
Speaker 2: So there you go. There you have it. That closes our mega mail bag, our second one ever. Honestly, we're gonna have to do more during the year when the Mariners come off a just atrocious series. I think that'll be a chance for a mega mail bag pretty often because instead of actually wasting time talking about a series nobody wants to hear about, well, just answer everybody's questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe more stories next time too, who knows.
Speaker 2: Listen, we got stories, We can tell stories.
Speaker 1: But that was fun, guys. Hopefully we helped with some of the coping of getting through the week. I know people are gonna hate it, but I I'm in the camp right now that it is early. They're playing terribly but it is technically it is early.
Speaker 2: Again, think about ninety five percent of the people or one hundred percent with you. There'll be a few crazy people out there that legitimately think it's over. Ninety five percent of the people know that's somewhere deep down in their hearts. It's just nobody wants to hear about it now.
Speaker 1: The team is not fun to watch. That we can all.
Speaker 2: Agree on right now, Not right now, they're not no, All right, well, good stuff. That just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to go download these episodes. If you're listening, just take a minute to hit download and go rate and review five stars. If you're on YouTube, like comment and go hit subscribe again. It's the best way to support the channel. It's right in front of you. It's free. Just go hit subscribe on YouTube. You can go check out our website too, marine layerpod dot com. All of our merchandise is there, Patreon's there, all our episodes are there again, that's marine layerpod dot com. And then you can find us everywhere across social media at Marine Layer Pod that's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Statist