Speaker 1: Luis cort Do's r metals in the eighth grade in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: And he's excited.
Speaker 1: He's waiting for his parents to come home so he can tell them that he's raised enough money to go on a class trip to Europe. When this trip first came up, his mom said they couldn't afford it. That didn't matter to Luis. He started slaying candy like a middle school version of Willy Wonka, hustling harder than anyone until he raised enough money to go on the trip. He's thinking, I can't wait to see the Eiffel Tower in person. It's no longer going to be just a picture. His parents get home and Louise starts jumping up and down telling them all about his hard work.
Speaker 2: Their faces go.
Speaker 1: White because they're about to crush his dream son. His dad says, we're undocumented, which means you can't leave the country because they won't let you back in.
Speaker 2: Louise is devastated.
Speaker 1: It's the first time he's felt a specific payg.
Speaker 2: Of terror he could be deported.
Speaker 1: Louise grew up afraid afraid of taking trips, afraid of taking on the government, afraid to even dream of going to college until one day he overcame his fears, and thank god he did. Luis would take many trips, like one of his first, to attend an affordable college in Idaho, then law school, and even to the nation's capital, Washington, d C. Where he would take on the government in a big way. But before we get to that, we have to go back to twenty twelve, pivotal year for Louis and for the country. As President Obama urges Congress to pass the Dream Act. He takes matters into his own hands. But what did this actually mean for our dreamers in their future?
Speaker 2: I'm Erica Lindo and I'm Patti Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: This is Out of the Shadows, a podcast about America's tangled history of immigration. Last season, we tackled Ronald Reagan's nineteen eighty six Amnesty Act. This season, we're tracing the origins of DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, a contentious executive order to protect undocumented young people from being.
Speaker 1: Deported issued by former President Barack Obama in twenty twelve. DACA was meant to be a temporary stop gap on a broken immigration system. It was like putting a bucket under a leaky roof, but with multiple Supreme Court challenges and looming presidential elections, the roof feels like it may collapse at any moment, impacting the US economy and American culture as we know it.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the future of millions of lives hangs in the balance.
Speaker 3: Welcome to out of the shadows, dreamers.
Speaker 4: They are Americans in their heart, in their minds, in.
Speaker 5: Every single way but one on paper, It makes no sense to expel talented young people who, for all intents and purposes are Americans, have been raised as Americans, understand themselves to be part of this comfort effective immediately, the Department of Homeland Security is taking steps to lift the shadow of deportation from these young people.
Speaker 3: On June fifteen, twenty twelve, President Barack Obama stepped out of the White House in a dark suit and a red tie with white pokad and walk up to electern on the White House lawn in front of the American flag to make a huge announcement.
Speaker 5: Over the next few months, eligible individuals who do not present a risk to national security or public safety will be able to request temporary relief from deportation proceedings.
Speaker 4: And apply for work authorization.
Speaker 5: Let's be clear, this is not amnesty, this is not immunity, this is not a path to citizenship.
Speaker 4: It's not a permanent fix.
Speaker 5: This is a temporary, stop deep measure that lets us focus our resources wisely while giving a degree of relief and hope to talented, driven, patriotic young people. It is the right thing to do, precisely because this is temporary, Congress needs to act.
Speaker 3: Obama's historic announcement of DACA became one of those landmark moments where people remembered exactly where they were when it was announced.
Speaker 1: Film critic Carlos Aguilar was in community college at the time and felt like he was stuck working a fast food job to make.
Speaker 6: And meet I remember clearly that they announced that guy in June of twenty twelve. I want to say, I'm almost one hundred person certain that the day that I applied is the day that I was graduating from college, which is kind of crazy. I didn't think that, you know, working at a fast food place, I was going to be able to put myself through like, you know, a four year or to transfer to another school. So it was kind of like pretty much at godsend, because at that point I really didn't know what I was going to do, because I had sort of like reached the end of the road in terms of that community college I was graduating from there.
Speaker 1: Law student Luis Cortez rometto from earlier needed a miracle in the news drop Louise was stuck in limbo with law.
Speaker 4: School beforecards announced.
Speaker 7: I'd called my mom and I told her that I was going to drop out.
Speaker 1: Before he dropped out, he went home during the summer to visit his mom in California to decompress. He got wayne to Obama's announcement and watched it with his mom.
Speaker 4: I was sitting down, I had my laptop out on the table.
Speaker 7: She was standing next to me, and we're hearing it, and she was grabbing my shoulders and was saying, I can't believe it. And then a little bit of like dedih, I told you, so, you know, a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: There was a little bit of that.
Speaker 7: But we were both just so excited, and I think she was just there and then we hugged, and so there was an excitement there. I waited a little bit just to see if this was for real.
Speaker 1: Eric Guerta, an organizer from Boyle Heights, recalls precisely what he was doing the day the news came out.
Speaker 2: He was battling Akruda.
Speaker 8: Not to be an asshole, but I think I may have one of the best stocker stories out of everybody about when where were you on the day you found out? So at the time when DAKA hit in twenty twelve, in June, I was part of an internship program out of the UCLA Labor Center called Dream Summer.
Speaker 4: There's workshops you're.
Speaker 8: Meeting like civil rights leaders and activists and folks doing this work on the ground. We're going to be you know, our supervisors and certain internships. So we were doing that and the night before, you know, when the homies get together, you know how we do. So we party it up and like I fucking blackout drunk, just had to get up the next day, go home and change. And as I'm like waking up from the day in a fucking corner at the bus stop next seven am, all hungover, I'm looking at Twitter and I'm like seeing all this shit about like President Obama signing different actions or Dreamers and da da da da da, and it's like, oh, shit like it's finally happening. We were happy, we were just being in the moment and everybody was just like finally right. We tried passing the Dream Act so many times, but DAKA came from that defeat in twenty ten, where folks are like, cool, we lost the dream like this year, so we got to move on and think of something different. And that's how Deferred Action was born.
Speaker 1: And his organizing peeps knew the truth. Obamama passed the Action, but it was their efforts that made this happen. It was time to celebrate.
Speaker 8: So my drunk, sober ass I had to go home, take a shower, get dressed, and get and go to downtown and just be out there and like showing people that dad, this is what like, we made it happen, not just because it was like Obama and all of a sudden deciding, oh, should I need some brownie points? Let me give this beaners like a couple of work permits. It's like no, this food was pushed against the wall to make this decision. So many people can't be named that we're making this stuff happening behind the doors. But folks like us who were in this you know, since day one. We're out there in the streets when we do best. The movement pushed Obama and his administration.
Speaker 1: But thebration of Obama's announcement wasn't for Obama and it didn't magically wipe away his reputation on deportations with immigrant rights activists.
Speaker 2: More on that after the break.
Speaker 3: Former President Obama might have passed DAKA in twenty twelve, But according to organizer Mohammed Moab the Lahy from the last episode, he heard from close sources that the Dreamer movement had a direct impact on Obama's order.
Speaker 9: Yeah, one hundred percent, only because other people who were in those rooms told us. But I feel like I give all of the credit for Dhako to the really the deportation cases on what I said, which it becomes unpopular.
Speaker 3: Well, had been working on deportation cases for years, but one case in May twenty twelve, a month before DHAKA gave them the sense Obama was about.
Speaker 9: To act like one pivotal case for me is I mean, a lot of little things happened, but at some point there was a group of kids from California that were walking to DC, the Cadwalkers for Passage of.
Speaker 2: The dream backed.
Speaker 9: As these kids were walking through Utah, we did that case and then they got to Colorado, and this was late May of twenty twelve, and so I don't know what it was, but I just had this weird like inkling that like Obama was going to do something, and so we wanted to just speed.
Speaker 3: That up, and speed it up they did.
Speaker 9: And so that's when we launched our Occupy the Obama Campaign Offices campaign essentially, And so those kids, the Cadwalkers, they essentially took over Obama's campaign office in Denver, Colorado, essentially doing a sit in until there was We called it an executive action to stop the deportation of Dreamers, and we took over the Detroit.
Speaker 4: Office with a few Dreamers.
Speaker 9: We essentially had occupied like eight of his offices within three or four days. This was election year time, and so we expected them to arrest us within a day or so. Not only did they not arrest us, they all evacuated their offices and went to work in like substitute offices because they knew it was just like so unpopular to directly arrest and detain the Dreamers. And so yeah, I mean, we took over his San Francisco office. Obama didn't want to do anything on DACA until closer to the election or right after the election, and so we sped up his timeline to do it then in June June fifteenth.
Speaker 3: This is the kind of stuff that doesn't make it into the history books. Sure Obama issued the order, but there was so much going on behind the scenes he could no longer ignore the pressure cooker activists. Erika and Diola, chief advocacy officer of RAISIS and the big figure in organizing spaces in Arizona, was on the front lines of the DOCA fight and also in the room with the Obama administration, lobbing for deferred action many times with no success.
Speaker 10: From the very beginning, we started having meetings with administration. I was part of some of those meetings, and I clearly remember getting an answer from at that time Cicilia Winos and a few other folks that was very clear, no, the President.
Speaker 4: Can't do this.
Speaker 10: I remember one of the meetings at a church because we couldn't go into the White House because we didn't have papers right, they had us go into a church that was right in front of the White House to meet with Cilia Winos and a few other people in the administration. We had some of our friends who one of them actually literally had an incorporation. He was worrying the Inco bracelet because he was in the iportation proceedings and.
Speaker 11: Then coal monitor, and we took him there, you know.
Speaker 8: He came with.
Speaker 10: Us and we had a few other folks and we got that answer from from from the administration was that we can't do this.
Speaker 3: But then they did do it.
Speaker 11: I heard the rumors.
Speaker 10: I started getting some text messages from some folks telling me that there was something that was going to be announced, and.
Speaker 3: In the most amazing way, Erica was probably dreaming.
Speaker 2: When it happened.
Speaker 4: I was still sleeping.
Speaker 8: I was very early in the morning.
Speaker 10: And I got a call from a reporter basically asking me to.
Speaker 8: Tell him what my reaction was.
Speaker 10: And I was like, my reaction is that I didn't even know that this was happening. I was very surprised. And when I learned this happened right and I learned that what the actual announcement was, I was I was very proud because I remember when we started putting together the demands, you know, of what we wanted. We had five demands.
Speaker 11: That and if I can remember, you know, some of them was like the ability to drive, the ability to work, the ability to travel, and that one, the ability to travel outside the US was something that we're like, we're going to add it, but we don't think we're going to get it, but we're going to push for that.
Speaker 10: We're going to add it to our demands. And yeah, I mean, this gets announced and I'm.
Speaker 8: Like, what's in it?
Speaker 11: Like what what's what's you know, what are we going to be able to do?
Speaker 10: And it turns out that there was advanced role and we were going to have the ability to travel and it's very limited, but it's you know, it's it's something that we can use. And it just made me feel so proud of our movement that we had an objective, we had a dream, you know, pun intended, but we we had this aspiration to have all these rights that were denied to us, and we pushed for them and we want.
Speaker 1: So Obama is u daka And like my parents and Patty's parents had to do with ERCA in the eighties, undocumented immigrants had to.
Speaker 2: Apply to qualify for deferred action.
Speaker 1: Applications started being accepted in August, and there was a long list of criteria including applicants had to be under thirty one as of Daka's announcement. They had to be in the US before sixteen years old. They had to have continuously resided here since June fifteenth of seven.
Speaker 2: And this is a big one.
Speaker 1: No felony convictions, no big misdemeanors, and they couldn't pose.
Speaker 2: A threat to public safety.
Speaker 1: To add to all that, the government was asking applicants for all kinds of personal information.
Speaker 8: I compared it to signing up to the fucking Mutant Registration Act as the X Men in the nineties card scene, right where the fucking government needs to know who you are, where you live, where your grandma must say, what you can do, when you did it, how you did it, did you pick your nose? All these details that supposedly didn't exist because I'm undocumented and I'm not in this country. So it was a very weird space of like, I'm willingly turning my information over to the government so they know where I'm at. And also, since I'm not supposed to be here, how am I supposed to prove that I've been here all this time? As well?
Speaker 2: One of the things the government was asking for was proof of residency, and when it came time for Wadeta to apply, he used media coverage of his organizing as proof of residency for his DACA application.
Speaker 8: And I was one of those folks at the time who was doing the media work. So I was fielding interviews on the ground and all the chanting and the street closing was happening, and the cops are showing up, and I was like, I'm kpcc LA times all these places. And the funny thing too, is that when I actually did sign up to apply for DACA, I use those same use clips as proof that I was here on that day.
Speaker 1: It was a similar story for our parents when they applied for URCA in eighty six. They were hesitant to turn in their information to the very same governing body that didn't want them here.
Speaker 2: In the first place.
Speaker 1: And just like back then, the Dreamers had to decide of giving the government all their personal info was worth it.
Speaker 2: That's after the break.
Speaker 3: For many, the announcement of DOCA was a good thing, but the fine print required you to turn over information to the government that could be used against you. Film critic Carlos thought giving up all his personal information to the government was alarming.
Speaker 6: Any interaction with with Homeland Security, it's always kind of terrifying and nerve acking. I remember going the first time because you know, for THATCA, once they approve your application, you have to go for biometrics. You go to a Homeless Security USCIS office and you know, you get your fingerprints and you know, your photograph taken. And every time I've had to have done it because you know, with ACCA, you have to renew it every two years, and I just always got this feeling of like they make you feel like a criminal. It does always feel like you're there and you know, it's a very unwelcoming environment and like you know, they treat you like they're doing you a favor, like you's down the service. And it was a very uncomfortable experience going through that process, you know, because of course you fill out your paperwork and you send it, but once you have to actually go to an office and they know exactly what.
Speaker 2: The purpose of your visit is.
Speaker 6: You know that you are requesting this thing, and even if they mistreat you, even if they look at you, you know, if they give you a dirty look, you can complain you can really raise your voice because you know they have the upper hand. And I feel like, to me, that was perhaps the most sort of direct sense of imbalance of power that I felt that. I really felt like, you know, they can treat me however they want, They can ask me whatever they want, and I have to comply because I am requesting this thing that they can just as easily deny. And you know, I stand to lose more than to win if I raise my voice, And so I feel like that, to me was the most uncomfortable experience to really have to go to the office and face the system face to face and the people that work in that system.
Speaker 3: Luis Cortes Romeo, the kid who wanted to go to Paris from the start of the show, was also hesitant to apply.
Speaker 7: There was a little bit of skepticism because there was also a part of there was a part of us that said, or a part of me that said, like, wait a second, you want me to give you all my information and then just like trust that you're not going to do anything with it.
Speaker 1: Later, in its first month, they were close to one hundred thousand applicants, and in one year that number balloon to five hundred thousand. DOCTA had immediate effects like applying for a driver's license. For some, like Louise, had life changing effects. See, Louis didn't just go to college, he also went to law school.
Speaker 7: It was my last year, it was about to be my last year year before I graduated, where I realized that I wasn't going to be able to practice law. I don't know why I didn't think about it before, but I realized, like, you need a social Security number, and you need a work permit, and you're like, you need all these things if you want to take can pass the bar exam and practice law.
Speaker 1: But with DACA, everything changed for Luise and for his mom, who was watching the announcement with her son.
Speaker 7: And as soon as President Obama says effective immediately, we were going to start a program that would allow young people to have protections from deportation and a work authorization, I had.
Speaker 4: My mouth open.
Speaker 1: Although Louis wasn't participating in organizing, his acts of resistance were personal, like figuring out how to secure funding for law school or selling chocolates for that trip to Europe. Louis closely understood the fear associated with being undocumented, but Ultimately, he wasn't afraid to fight for what he believed in. He'll go on to become an undocumented lawyer and one of Docca's guardian angels.
Speaker 7: Hi arguing hearing with Jig also that helped pave the way for the injunction. And remember there was a time where he asked like, how do you know where you know? He's always ask to how do you know this information? We're going to find this? And when I'm telling him about the practical sides of the case, like you have to go in and you to take your fingerprints and they take your photo and all that, he asked like, how do you know that? And I told him, like, I went through it. I'm a doctor recipient myself, and I went through it. And I think it dawned on him, like, Oh, there's somebody right in front of me who this matters to. This isn't just an abstract legal issue or something that is going to impact the people outside. This is going to impact somebody who's arguing in my court right now.
Speaker 3: Next episode, we'll talk about the effects of DOCA on people's lives, good and bad.
Speaker 10: One of the wake up calls from me or a reminder that we weren't done. Was literally the same day that I got the job in Congress. I came back from my interview and talking to my former boss and telling me that I got the job. I came back to the house and that same night, we get a knock at the door and I took my mom and my brother.
Speaker 4: And it's still.
Speaker 10: Unclear whether it was any type of retaliation or if it was something that happened because of other reasons. Because you know, they were deporting a lot of people at that time under President Obama, so she might have been one of those folks who was targeted.
Speaker 3: That's next time on Out of the Shadows. Out of the Shadows Dreamers is a se Medal production in partnership with Iheartmichurdura podcast Network. It's created, hosted, and executive produced by me, Patti Rodriguez, and Eric Galindo. This show was written by Sessa Hernandez, an executive produced by Joselle Bancis. Our supervising producer is Arlene Santana. It's produced and edited by Brianna Flores. Our associate producer is Claudia Martigna. Down design, mixing and mastering by Jessica Cranechitch and a special thanks to all our Dreamers. Remember to subscribe to the podcast and share it. For more Michael Duda podcasts, listen to the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.