Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The Bracket Challenge is live right now at Foxsports Radio dot com. If you want to test your skills, your knowledge, your guesswork with Hours and other celebrities, including Alex Ovechkin, you can at Fox Sportsradio dot com. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by the great folks at Pinini America Official Trading Cards at the DP Show, and this first hour brought to you by Mako. At Mako, they bring your car back to life, affordable paint chomps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Mako pull question Play of the Day, stat of the Day your phone calls eight seven to seven to three. DP Show operator sitting by taking your calls. The Dodgers have opened their season in Japan against the Cubs, and it counts. So they're going to play a couple of games there and then they come back and then they resume spring training. Do I want us exporting opening day?
Speaker 3: I don't. I understand.
Speaker 2: It's business, certainly with the Dodgers and the number of players from you know, whether it's Korea, whether it's Japan.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I understand it. I don't like it, but I understand it. It's business. Uh ten years ago, five years ago, I remember the Yankees went over there, Like I just you know, how about we think of the players you're in spring training, totally chill. Now, let's go to Japan, play a couple of games, they count, and then let's come back and then let's chill again. Tough to manage your staff you're pitching, and you know, once again, I know, it's business, and it's the Dodgers, they're pipeline with all the players.
Speaker 3: I understand all of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the fans in Japan would be that upset that if you said we're going to play two spring training games over there, are.
Speaker 3: They going to be upset?
Speaker 2: I think just having Shoheutani over there some of the other players who are from Japan.
Speaker 3: That would be enough. We don't need to have opening Day over there. Have Opening Day here.
Speaker 2: You can have kind of a faux opening day. You can have an opening day. How about opening Day there? You go, yeah, it's a fake opening day, Opening day, and you play a couple of games. You have all the pomp and circumstance and the pageantry, and then you come back and then you resume spring training.
Speaker 3: Everybody benefits.
Speaker 2: But you know, I know, we're trying to grow the business there and the Dodgers have done a wonderful job and Japan is a great market. The Dodgers game with the Cubs is over, Paulie, do you have a review of what happened?
Speaker 4: Well, ear muffet in case you taped it for later, because if it's Los Angeles, you had a bit real real early or really really late. The Dodgers won four to one over the Cubs. Otani two for five, great start, Yamamoto. Uh the Dodgers pitcher one hitter, five innings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they got one more game over there, and then they come back home and then they resume spring training again and then they wait for their decks their second opening day for both of these teams. All right, get off my lawn, I know, I know, I know. All right, the NC DOUBLEA, the first four, get ready. You don't have to fill out your brackets. You have to be in for our bracket challenge by Wednesday. End of business, what is it?
Speaker 3: Seating? End of day? Is that what we were doing?
Speaker 5: You could do cob you could do, EOD you could do yeah. Okay, there's a million of them all right, end of day, close a business.
Speaker 2: Saint Francis of Pennsylvania against Alabama.
Speaker 3: State eos, end of show. Okay.
Speaker 2: Is there a team in the tournament who has more of a must win situation than North Carolina does? Today? North Carolina against San Diego State because the fallout from selection Sunday.
Speaker 3: How could they do this? North Carolina? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: The head of the selection committee, the athletic director at North Carolina, he got a bonus for North Carolina being in the tournament, one hundred thousand dollars. Now, I don't think you jeopardize your job, But I like how they go, Hey, Bubba, we're going to talk about Carolina.
Speaker 3: You have to leave the room.
Speaker 2: Now, what about all the other times when all these people are together, maybe for breakfast or lunch or dinner. Do they go, Bubba, you're going to have to leave dinner. We're talking about North Carolina. Yeah, but you were just talking about, you know, the Jordan team that beat George up. We're talking about North Carolina. Bubba, You're gonna have to leave the room. You're gonna have to leave the restaurant.
Speaker 3: Silly.
Speaker 2: But North Carolina against San Diego State, now it becomes mussy TV. Now I'm curious about how North Carolina does against San Diego State. They should win, right, they're North Carolina. I don't know who's favored in this game. Maybe it's a Pickham that would be even better.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marvion, my model for March madness is bring your game, not your name. Oh okay, it matters if you're North Carolina. They're not all that good this year.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so bring your game, not your name. All right, sounds like a slogan. I like that.
Speaker 2: Uh So, North Carolina against San Diego State, the first four. Now the West Virginia governor, he's upset. I love when politicians pandered to their fan base. Patrick Morrissey, he's the governor of West Virginia, and he wants to investigate the North Carolina nc double A bid.
Speaker 7: Today I'm joined here with our attorney general. He's the chief legal officer for the state, and I've asked Attorney General McCuskey to launch an investigation into the NCAA tournament selection committee to determine if any backyard deals back room deals, corruption, bribes, or any nefarious activity occurred during the selection process. I know that the Attorney General and I are going to leave no stone unturned during this process. We need to get to the bottom of it. I think a lot of Americans count on the fact that there's transparency and that there's fairness when dealing with selection. Whether you're talking about college football playoffs, remember what happened to Florida State a couple years ago, go or when it comes to March madness.
Speaker 2: Okay, he better get on this because North Carolina is playing tonight. So I don't think there's going to be an injunction where all of a sudden, they go, Tonight's game is being postponed due to an injunction by the West Virginia governor.
Speaker 3: He's got to pound the podium.
Speaker 2: If you really want to get my attention, you got to pound the podium.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's going after all those backyard deals. Yeah, and the back room backroom ones too. He is in West Virginia. We do backyard deals. Let's go take care of flaw state.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See that's where it's abbreviated on his piece of paper fla State.
Speaker 3: Remember that.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know he sounds like me.
Speaker 2: It's like he thought, Okay, I'll just put f l a state. I'll remember it's Florida state, and he's got Flaw state. Today I'm joined and that was another problem.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he put a lot of thought into that before he started speaking, but it's kind of like he was like, hold on or maybe forgot his glasses.
Speaker 3: Today I'm joint, joint the processed here by Flaw State. Play it just the beginning there, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Today I'm joined here with.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean it starts very official today.
Speaker 2: Today, today, I'm the luckiest, luckiest man on the face of the earth.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're going to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 5: He's no Mayor Menino, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I like that he's going to find out. You know, if you're going to go after the NCAA governor, I'd go after a lot of other things more than West Virginia got snubbed.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess.
Speaker 2: Indiana's governor is probably going to be upset and get involved in this. Boise State governor probably will get involved in the get all the governors in here of those who got job you know, damn it, We're the sixty ninth team and I'm not going to take it.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he use all the political terms, no stone unturned. I was expecting a Blue Risbon task force, you know, like anyone who when they do this, these politicians do. They have to know that this isn't real and they really can't stop the NCAA tournament. Yeah, So is it smart to play to your fan base that's also upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, as long as you don't mind being ridiculed by all the other states. Sure, I mean you're standing up for a great injustice, not the fact that your team had thirteen losses. Yeah, I'd investigate that, but they look, there are other schools that had I guess a legitimate gripe. But I don't even know if you can say legitimate, because if you leave it into somebody else's hands, that is your fault. If you leave it it's open to interpretation, that is your fault. Should North Carolina be in the tournament? No, North Carolina should not. I don't know if that means West Virginia deserves to be in there. If Indiana wasn't firing their coach, would Indiana be in there? Like, you know, we can make some arguments here for other schools, but if you get to that point in the selection committees afternoon and you're gonna go, hey, we're like sixty eight, there's sixty seventh, or sixty ninth, there's seventy.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's on you. It's on you.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: This isn't like.
Speaker 2: TCU when you have the final four teams playing for college football the playoffs, where you're like, nah, I'm gonna be on the outside. Look at we're gonna be fifth, not fourth. We're not getting it. Okay, that's different. This is the sixty eighth sixty ninth team. You left yourself vulnerable. You paid the price, so did some other schools. I don't know if this opens, you know, the gates for other governors. Like if you're a governor, you're the governor Indiana. Now do you feel like you have to say something here? The guy in West Virginia did. Why aren't we investigating the NC? The NC double A is right there in Indiana.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just saw the video of Governor Morrissey a West Virginia when he said this speech. He had a sign in front of him that was hastily made up that said National Corrupt Athletic Association right in front of him. That's such sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, now, the NC DOUBLEA is corrupt. What are some of the other things the governor has gone after with the NC double A. I'm just curious because you could have done this a long long time ago, not just you got snubbed.
Speaker 3: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's see if there's an injunction before tonight's game. I don't think there's going to be. But you have the first four coming up tonight. What's the poll question today, Seaton first Hour. Well, we got a few of them, all right.
Speaker 5: I know you've been waiting to get to this topic because it's overwhelmingly the number one story of the day. Do you want to guess his name is?
Speaker 3: Jackson Dart. Oh, here he comes, here he goes. I warned you, Jackson Nord. He gets his own day.
Speaker 2: Mel kiper draft expert, is mock draft Jackson Dart top ten.
Speaker 3: To the Saints top three. Perhaps I think he's really good. I do.
Speaker 2: I think he's he's athletic. He just he can play in the NFL. I believe great name too. No, he's throwing darts up there but yeah, Jackson Dart, uh ja X does he have.
Speaker 3: Two x's only one? Only one X J A X S O N D A R T A right. Jackson Dart former USC Trojan Jackson Dart at old Miss.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 5: But if his name was you know, Charles Troubles and not Jackson Dart, would you still be like this is a guy we could build around.
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 5: I I used to call Chris Chambliss Charles Troubles for some reason when I was a kid. The name has never left my head.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it leaves mine. But Jackson Dart top ten mel Kiper, Yeah, there's always somebody who is sneaky moving, and always somebody who might be.
Speaker 3: Dropping a little bit. Jackson Dart hasn't really.
Speaker 2: Done anything since I don't know, December. Maybe you know, workout. He had a really good season. That's I'm always amazed, and you go, wait a minute, that guy didn't do anything unless it's a pro day or your combine.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: But it played well against Duke in the bowl game. Okay, But now all of a sudden, people are opening their eyes and this is what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get a lot of analysts who go, yep, I can see it now.
Speaker 2: If mel had him in the second round, then you know you I know, one Orlovsky I think was really big on Jackson dark and that was a while ago.
Speaker 3: That Orlovsky was all there.
Speaker 2: But this is where you just everybody doesn't want to be left in the dust here.
Speaker 3: Hey, I knew, I told you you know all this stuff.
Speaker 2: I remember my source said Michael Parsons is the best player in the draft, but he has baggage. Well can you say Michael Parsons was the best player in the draft. Who's the lineman for the Boltz out of Notre Dame Quentin Quentin Nelson. My source said he's the best ready to go player in the draft.
Speaker 3: You can make that case.
Speaker 2: So when my source tells me something, I tell you. So when he says, hey, you know, the Big ten is going to stop playing football, you know during COVID, that's from him. When he says the Browns are taking Baker Mayfield, that's from him. And when he tells me about certain players, I listen, and he's got a pretty good track record. But Jackson Dart is a good He's a good player, he really is. And you played for Lane Kiffin and you know you played in the SEC. So do I think he can play in the NFL?
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think he is not as athletic as cam Warden. I think he is more athletic than Shade or Sanders. But it's in the high of the beholder. Does he fit with what you're trying to do.
Speaker 3: That's the key.
Speaker 2: You've got to get the right quarterback for you, not a quarterback. We'll take a break. We'll settle on our poll question. I don't know what the question is with Jackson Dart yet, but Seaton brought that up. We'll address that and Bill Cower will join us in an hour from now.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 3: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kvin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 5: Who gets drafted first, Jackson dot or Shadur Sandos oh.
Speaker 2: Man I would have said Shadoor Sanders. I just think Jackson Dart is a first round talent. Now, I didn't see him jumping up to ten. We got a lot of time before the draft we do. This is one of those you know, it's not an exciting draft, and this kind of reinvigorates the draft a little bit where you add a little more intrigue here.
Speaker 3: You need more quarterbacks, you.
Speaker 2: Know, when they say, boy, this is a great draft for interior alignment, and then nobody's going to be excited to hear and with the fourth pick and then it'll be an interior alignment. But Jackson Dart, Okay, yeah, you got a you know, a topic for the day that I didn't expect to have.
Speaker 4: Yes, pony, Well, it's a Tuesday before the NCAA tournament starts. This is when people slide their mock drafts for max reaction. All right, let me ask you guys something. Shador Sanders doesn't his father being Dion Sanders make him the safest pick at quarterback because he's been groomed to be a star athlete since birth. Go back to Chris Long coming out of college, Howie Lung's son, it seems like the downside is mitigated because of the family they grew up in.
Speaker 2: Well, you can grow up in an environment like Michael Jordan's kids did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they couldn't play, but I guess.
Speaker 4: You know, like Patrick Mahomes's dad played sports. He probably grew up in a lifestyle. Griffy some superstar athletes, they grow up around it and they're not shocked by the big stage or the money when he should or Sanders gets there.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he understands the spotlight, but I don't know how talented he is. I mean, Ken Griffy Junior understood the spotlight. He also happened to be one of the fifteen greatest players of all time. So I think you can understand it, but you have to also Bronnie James, he grew up in the spotlight. He grew up his entire life is social media, and let's see what happens with him.
Speaker 4: He ended up on the Lakers.
Speaker 3: League G League Lakers and his name is lebron James Junior. Yeah, the third Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that kids who grow up and have a parent who is a professional athlete obviously have a head start, even just like genetically, they're probably going to be better better off than a kid is like dad was an accountant but really wants to play basketball. Right, But there is a real school of thought too that you would rather have the person who's sort of clawed their way there rather than had trained their whole way there. There's a whole thing about mindset that speaks to like you had to fight your way to get to every single level, and that prepares you more for a higher level rather than these are the elite drills that you do for somebody.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a sense of entitlement and that that probably is going to worry some gms in the NF Yeah, like, Okay, who do you think you are? You still have to go out there and prove it. And I think from what I've gathered with Shadoor Sanders, the work ethic is there. You know, when Steve Young talks about playing with Dion, he said he was in the ultimate teammate, worked hard, even said to him, look, I got there's two different people here. There's Dion Sanders and there's Prime. Just so you know, you know, I'm deon Sanders as a teammate with the media, I'm Prime, but understanding that.
Speaker 3: But Dion was able to deliver. Chador is not a great athlete.
Speaker 2: I mean yet in today's NFL, and Steve Young talks about this, there's so much out there for you to take that they're giving you the defense is giving you this and you've got to go take it, and you got to take it with your legs. He said, you know, brock, Perty's got to run more. There's so much real estate. Go take it. And if you don't, then you're kind of living in the you know, the dark ages. But Jackson Dart is a good athlete. Now I don't know what his pro day is going to be looking like. And I don't know, you know, what the measurables are that we get caught up in. I still laugh at that that, you know, we inspect these guys. I mean, their physical is far more thorough than mine, and I'm just trying to, you know, live a healthy life. But they're going size of his hands, okay, you know the three cone drill or whatever it is. I don't remember what Dan Marino's hand size was. I don't remember what Joe Montanas was or Steve Young's, nor do I care. I just want to know, can you play? Because you got guys who got the measurables standing broad jump ten feet nine inches, taking first dround, vertical thirty nine and a half taking No, I'm just looking at the tape.
Speaker 3: The tape tells me everything. I need to see.
Speaker 2: Then I get the medicals, see how healthy you are, and then I get the interview.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: Those are the things that I need, not how did you do on your pro day? Because we've seen guys on their pro day look like a pro, they don't play like a pro.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I have Jackson Dart's bio on NFL dot Com. Off the combine where you get all his measurements, and then the bottom it says strengths and weaknesses, and then Lance zer Line of NFL dot Com a NFL comp so it's officially NFL comp season. Dan, I'll start with this Jackson Dart six to two, two d and twenty three pounds, nine and a half inches on the hand. Measurements not good or bad kind of mid player comp. Here's a hint. This quarterback is still in the NFL. Still in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Ryan Tannehill, No, but you're not that far off.
Speaker 4: It's a quarterback that it may not necessarily be a huge compliment to Jackson Dart to be comp.
Speaker 3: Carson Wentz, Gardner Minshew is the player. Co I do like Gardner Minshew.
Speaker 4: Right, But if you're Jackson Dart, do you like being compared to Gardener.
Speaker 3: No, no, you don't. No player comp season. Yeah, I do love player comp I do, yes, Martan.
Speaker 6: Gardner Minshew, I'm not sure if that's good. If you're going to be a top ten pick.
Speaker 3: Probably not since Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but he was a fourth round draft pick.
Speaker 6: But I was thinking about player comps. Somebody who's good but not great.
Speaker 2: No, he's athletic. Kirk Cousins was an athletic. Gardner Minshew was an athletic. Yes, Dylan, I was gonna say, Derek Carr, that's his comp. Is the guy who he's going to take his job from.
Speaker 4: It's a perfect situation.
Speaker 3: I like it. You know. He reminds me a lot of is Derek Carr? Well, why don't you just keep Derek Carr? What's better than one Derek Carr? Two?
Speaker 2: Dog Doug in North Carolina, Good morning, Doug. What's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Well, Dan, I have a new game I'd like to introduce. I call this conspiracy theory, or you may be onto something. I hate Aaron Rodgers. I've never met I've never met the man, and I've never you know, hated anyone. A total stranger more in my life and it starts because I'm a Lions fan and I watch, you know, every year, a couple of times a year, you'd watch him just get all these phantom calls. But at least back then, during the offseason, you could forget about Aaron Rodgers. And now that's not the case. And my conspiracy theory is this photograph of him looking out into the vastness of the ocean while he wears a shaw and has a spiritual moment. I don't think that was just some passerby. I think Aaron Rodgers wanted that image out and that maybe he paid somebody for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you, Doug. I hadn't given it that much thought. I don't give much thought with Aaron Rodgers off the field. On the field, all right, it's my job to assess that. But if he wants to be in a tent in Peru, great, go get him. He wants to walk on the beach in Malibu and you know, stare out onto the horizon.
Speaker 3: Great, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I just want to know if you want to play football, that's it. I don't And then wherever you land. Now we can start talking about that. But the other stuff and everything that goes along with it. I'm not interested in that.
Speaker 3: But I grew up. You know, when sports was.
Speaker 2: Just about what you saw or what you read. It wasn't about all the other ancillary stuff. You know, social media has given us too much back then. You know, you might hear about Johnny Bench and who he was dating, or Pete Rose got married, whatever it might be, but it would be just a little bit. But I wasn't craving that. I didn't go. God, I gotta know this now. You know everything about everybody, it feels like, or you can if you want to. With Aaron Rodgers, I just want to know if you want to play, and if you don't, then good luck, okay.
Speaker 3: And whatever you do great.
Speaker 2: My interactions with him were always great, always interesting playing golf with him. But you know this is different. This is where he's kind of whole holding you. Yeah, he's he's holding people, teams hostage. I just want you to move on, Like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 2: Make a decision, great, do the Vikings want him, they don't want him? Great, Steelers, Giants, retirement, whatever it is. But at some point you just go just wake me up when you make a decision.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marmon, and I think what's going to infuriate a fan base is if he's just, Okay, we waited for you all this time, and this is what you give us, almost like with the Jets, five wins with you and seven wins without you.
Speaker 2: You know, Paulie sent me the picture and he's got a blanket on and around his shoulders. He's got his earbuds in and who knows what he's listening to. Maybe Joe Rogan, I don't know, maybe this show.
Speaker 3: Hey Eron, how are you? I got it? Okay?
Speaker 2: Now, did he say, hey, I'm going to be at the beach, would you take a couple of picks? Yeah, because celebrities would do this. They still do this. I remember talking to one of those, you know, those celebrity photographers, and he said that Britney spears her person would let them know when Britney was going to be someplace, like, if you don't want to be found, you can probably make sure that you're not found.
Speaker 3: I don't know if.
Speaker 2: Aaron goes, you know, going to have the hat on backwards, I'm gonna have this deep, deep stare into the horizon, into the sunset. There got your ear pods in like, Okay, I don't care.
Speaker 4: Yes, the photo kind of looks like Patrick Swayze as body at the end of point break where he's staring out into the ocean and Johnny Utah's coming to get him. Very similar.
Speaker 2: Let me see Martin in Atlanta, Hi, Martin, Great Martin.
Speaker 10: Now I know you were mentioning that you wanted to see that the guy from West Virginia actually did something when the governor was the attorney general. He sued the NCAA and that ruling is what caused everybody to be able to get as many transfers as they want. So he has a history with the NCAA and winning awesome the top of them and the top and off. The ad from North Carolina got a financial bonus for the basketball team making the tournament, So there is something to that.
Speaker 2: Do you think that Bubba Cunningham, who's probably in his seventies, would risk his reputation for one hundred thousand dollars Martin.
Speaker 10: Exception is there and when he says he steps out of the room for North Carolina, But did he step out of the room for West Virginia and the other teams?
Speaker 2: Well, how about we look and see how many other athletic directors get a bonus like this, Like, if we want to expand this the if we want wanna throw a wider net over this, and how about we do that? What is the corruption that we're finding? Do you think that everybody on the committee goes, you know, Bubba and bad year with his team, but they almost be Duke. We should put him in and he gets one hundred thousand dollars bonus. I'm gonna have a hard time believing that. Yeah, yeah, I think that.
Speaker 5: The word corruption is is a little heavy handed. Yeah, but maybe do you put your finger on the scale a little bit more because it's your team?
Speaker 3: Probably that's just bias, you know. But he can't put his finger on the scale, right, I mean do you help do that? Though?
Speaker 5: There's got to be a way that you can help influence things a little bit.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Look, I would love to have this televised. I've said this for years. Let us see, let me see the process here. If unless you are hiding something, let us see you're gonna discuss.
Speaker 3: I want to know. You know, who's going to be in the college football playoffs? You must see TV.
Speaker 2: Once again, everybody's about making money. How about we have live coverage. You get to watch what goes on. Maybe you don't have a host, you just have cameras and you can pick up the audio and you can hear what people say. You know, we want total transparency when you're voting on an MVP. We still don't know that one guy who didn't vote like okay, but I still would love to have that behind the scenes, let's hear what you talk about. I would love to have this with the Hall of Fame. It's so important to these former players. Let me see what is said about them. I mean, this is great content. Uncomfortable probably for some somebody might argue against North Carolina in that meeting. Now, I'm sure there's rules, laws regularly, you know whatever. There might be, you know, kind of hurdles there. But wouldn't you love to be able to listen even if they gave you just they edited this and they gave you like a four minute conversation, and then maybe they came back and they gave you another conversation, maybe about a number one seed or a number two seed that didn't get to be a number one seed, or maybe it is the sixty eighth or sixty ninth team.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Call me crazy crazy, but.
Speaker 2: That would be entertaining and it would allow the transparency that we want. It's I think that officials and umpires should have to talk after every game. I think that they should be there with the transparency of hey, we want to ask you some questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pully, you also had an idea about six or seven years ago where you said, let Vegas handle this, and Vegas looks at the teams and says, here's how we would rank them based off head to head, and it's completely objective. They have no dog in the fight, and they would say here are the sixty four or sixty eight best teams, or college football at the twelve best, because they are totally objective and could break it down number by number.
Speaker 2: I do not think for a moment that Bubba Cunningham, the athletic director at North Carolina, went in there and threw his weight around and said I want North Carolina in the tournament for one hundred grand I don't believe that, and even for now, no money involved in this. I think you have to be truly fair. Do I think North Carolina as a name help them get in.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they do. Yes, Bill, the video aspect would be funny if it's like the issue of North Carolina comes up and they're all like, all right, Bubba, you gotta go wait in the hallway for this one. No funny business. He'll be knocking. Who's there, Baba? Did I get my one hundred grand guys or what? We're not not ready yet, baba.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me take a break. We'll get to phone calls here. Also, Bill Cower will join us coming up next hour. But up next it's on our Play of the Day.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Oh my God, the play of the Day.
Speaker 3: Bwitter website got it. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 3: You got the guy hit the rim.
Speaker 1: He does grab scored shure, dude.
Speaker 3: Chuck you with two hands, put it over the Sooner took by the game and he was drawn up.
Speaker 2: Two Pop Fiction ten one Rockets over the seventy six ers. Rockets have won seven in a row. The Rockets are the number two seed in the West. That's courtesy of Sports Talk seven ninety am Rockets Radio network balance scoring on this team. I don't think anybody's scoring over twenty three points per game. And nobody is talking about the Rockets. That's a young team. They're you know, Oklahoma City is a young team, Detroit's a young team, Orlando's a young team. You're seeing these teams using their draft picks and getting players who can I mean, keep in mind that Houston had the third pick overall. That was Reed Shepherd out of Kentucky. He doesn't even play now. He was great in the summer league. But this is an interesting team, Houston Rockets. Right now, all right, update the poll results if you can. By the way, the Play of the day brought to you by Rapid Radios, official walkie talkie of the show, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever.
Speaker 3: A great alternative for your kids or parents. We use them on the show.
Speaker 2: Go to Rapid radios dot com sixty percent off free shipping.
Speaker 3: All right, Seaton, we've got two up there right now.
Speaker 5: Who gets drafted first, Shador Sanders or Jackson Dart Right now, Schador's got sixty four of that vote. Then one here from PAULI, uh best ever quarterback name dot dot dot Jackson Dart be right up there, Joe Montana, great name, Cult McCoy, great name.
Speaker 3: Johnny Utah. Oh, from the movie Johnny Utah.
Speaker 2: But do you think they did Johnny Utah as a takeoff on Joe Montana, Like if it was Joey Montana and Johnny Utah seems.
Speaker 3: Like well unit is thrown in there too with the Johnny U Johnny u Uh. I think is Sonny six Killer was one of my favorites. I think he was.
Speaker 2: At Washington State Washington or Washington State Sonny six Killer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, University of Washington, Sonny six Killer.
Speaker 3: He wore number six of course. Yep, huge dude, Yeah, Sonny six killer. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Who is the Tuians's sopo awesome from Washington, Washington? Yeah, you dub h Montana's That's that's pretty good. I'm I'm sure we're leaving out.
Speaker 5: I can underappreciate how strong of a quarterback name that is.
Speaker 2: And then didn't Montana change the name of a town and they called Joe Montana.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 2: I think there's a place in Montana it's called Joe Montana. I think they changed the name you're correct.
Speaker 4: They changed it in the nineties in honor of Joe Montana, who is not from Montana.
Speaker 3: No, he's not, He's Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me see Jeff in Tampa. Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey, good morning, DP. I'm calling again about the NFL draft and I'm worried about the Bears of the Bucks taking Shamar Stewart. I mean he's an d dresser. He had one and a half sacks last year. It takes his A and M and signed for his career. Yeah, he's a consensus top fifteen in the MOCKX. I mean I'm in my late forties then. So my first written like recollection of the someone who didn't produce in college yet Children of the Combine was Mike Mamula from BC.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So my question for you was, like, have any of the dot ca as thinking of any of these Combine warriors that have made anything of themselves at the next level.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you went a little deep on Uh, you're worried about, you know, somebody picking your edge rusher. We got a little bit of time before the draft there. Mike Mamula was drafted by the Eagles and he went to Boston College. He was one of those guys that came in and he did everything everything really well and jumped up into the first round. Didn't pan out, But you know, we've had guys who have great pro days and then doesn't pan out.
Speaker 3: I just want to know what he'd you do? When it's right in front of you.
Speaker 2: I can look at a tape, I can break down that tape. That's what I want to see first, because that actually happened on the football field with somebody playing against you, somebody who might have been trying to take your head off.
Speaker 3: That's where I start.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes we just we forget what's on the tape, and then you get caught up in oh my gosh, did you see his pro deack or did you see the three cone drill?
Speaker 3: I don't care about that.
Speaker 2: It's nice to have players that we may not know about. They get an opportunity to shine. I think that's great. But we're finding the trend now is a lot of these, you know, big time college players, certainly quarterbacks aren't performing at the combine