Speaker 1: Hey, that folks.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, February sixth, and we want to get to write to a number of significant updates in the country that is in the story that's captivating in the country, the search for Nancy Guthrie. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 1: Robe.
Speaker 2: There is a list of updates we need to get to. And again, we have been doing several updates Robes on this story. And we're traveling right now. And we were out with a group last night, a big crowd of folks and was it not the first thing everything everybody said to us when we we came up to us.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely the talk of the party. We were there.
Speaker 4: We're here in San Francisco for the Super Bowl, and so yeah, lots of folks you'd think would be talking about sports and talking about the parties that they got invited to or how they're covering. No, the conversation from each group of people we talked to was all about missing Nancy Guthrie.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't just a quick question. I mean, if they had questions for us, they know we're covering it. But Robes extended conversations. We only mentioned this to say, Robes, these are conversations obviously that are going on everywhere.
Speaker 1: This is such a mystery.
Speaker 2: And now here we are almost a full week since someone has seen this woman in the mystery continues. The updates we want to get you can get to you are several. First of all, there has been a rest, but not in the case of her abduction, hoax ransom notes. We were worried about this. We'll get into that. Also still saying no suspects. Also, we got an update on that blood, the pictures you've been seeing of the blood on the front porch of her home. Update about that. Also, they passed along to us a deadline robes at least one, and one of these ransom notes has come and gone. There's an update about cash Ptel, the FBI director getting out there, And we got.
Speaker 1: An update on the timeline.
Speaker 2: I'm not even sure which one of these things stands out, but let's start with I guess the arrest robes. We were worried something like this might happen. There might be more, but they have arrested a California man for trying to in the middle of this tragedy, ropes, trying to extort cash from this family.
Speaker 4: Yes, and The interesting thing is this is not police separated. This isn't the ransom note that we heard about specifically given to the local affiliate and then to TMZ.
Speaker 3: This actually, police say came.
Speaker 4: After correct, the gu three siblings went and made that plea for the would be abductor to contact them so that they could start talking. So this impostor took that opportunity and found I believe the cell phone numbers of Savannah's sister and brother in law and found some of their personal information and reached out to them and demanded money through bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Is that's so good? This wasn't a ransom note. This was a ransom demand that came in via text. It seems like you said the word opportunity. Isn't it wild that someone we're looking at it as a tragedy. Somebody actually looked, Wow, there's an opportunity for me here.
Speaker 4: And I hope they throw the book at him. He has been charged criminally, thank goodness, and he should be Uh, Derek, I think it's kaya.
Speaker 1: Well was his age again?
Speaker 2: But he's twenty seven thirty fairly young, yes, young man, but yes, he has been charged. So that arrest has taken place. Another update we want to give you is that. And this is maybe the most important one. Roabes and I kind of glanced over this one, is that there's another plea from the family forgot to mention the brother of Savannah Guthrie. Another video has come out. His was much shorter, but Robes, I think this one was pretty significant in what he was saying. He's essentially saying, we actually don't believe we have talked or heard from the actual kidnapper. Wrote his video said to me, more than anything, maybe they don't believe a ransom has anything to do with this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they it's it's It was a short twenty seconds, yes, twenty one second. Savannah posted it onto her Instagram. It was her brother Cameron, and it was notable and that he It seems as though it was timed to coincide with that first deadline from one of the ransom notes. The police told us that there was a five pm local Thursday deadline, and that's exactly when Savannah posted this message from her brother onto her social media. So it was seven pm East Coast time, five pm Mountain time.
Speaker 3: And that's not coincidental. That was deliberate.
Speaker 4: They were like, this is basically, you know, they were honoring this deadline that was put into this ransom note, saying, please let us know what you want talk to us.
Speaker 2: His quote here again it was only twenty one seconds, no bagdrop, staying against I think it's a plain white wall in a corner, said we want to hear from you. We haven't heard anything directly. We want you to reach out. We need a way to communicate with you so we can move forward, but first we have to know that you. We have our mom, we want to talk to you, and we are waiting for contact robes. They can't entertain all of this shit because obviously now already someone has come out and they know it's trying to fool them. So now they're begging for confirmation, a proof of life, and in today's technology, that's harder to do.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I just you look at it, and typically you would think, not that there's a typical kidnapping situation, but I would just believe most of us, using common sense, would think that the pleading or the communication would be coming from.
Speaker 3: The other side.
Speaker 4: They would be making demands, they would be reaching out, they would be getting specific and so to have not heard from them after these ransom notes showed up. Doesn't give a lot of faith into that concept or into that theory that that may be what.
Speaker 1: Is going on.
Speaker 2: One of the FBI guys was up at the press conference yesterday and he said it best and Robes, it was. I mean, it was jarring to hear him say it. It's common sense. But if there is a demand for money, you want your money. You're not sitting around for a week, not engaging. You want your money. This is just not around. He said it in such a way that makes you go, Okay, of course, this isn't a ransom situation.
Speaker 4: Right, And look it's not like, oh, I just want to spend a few more moments with eighty four year old Nancy Guthrie, who needs medication, who needs constant care. That's not something that would be advantageous for a kidnapper to be experiencing. So he would want to or they would want to get rid of their hostage as soon as possible and get their money as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: You don't sit around.
Speaker 2: You don't kidnap somebody and just sit and let them sweat it out for a week. He said it in such a way, Robes, They're like, oh, okay, obviously this is because he doesn't sound like they believe. But after all this and all this talk of ransom notes, robes, they don't believe they've gotten a legitimate one yet. Yeah, so that means, quite frankly ropes, there's no ransom. So where is Nancy and why was she taken out of that home? It? Now they have to be you have to focus on what has to be a different theory than a ransom and a kidnapping.
Speaker 4: Correct, And that's why I think this timeline that they released was really, really, really interesting. It certainly piquked our interest, and we got this and we'll explain why. So police are now able to say that, yes, Nancy was dropped off by a family member around the exact time they had suggested.
Speaker 2: Now you you saw something else. I only saw a family member. But you're do have they said officially who dropped her off?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know that because there have been so many reports.
Speaker 4: I just know some reports are suggesting which family member dropped her, but a.
Speaker 2: Not more than one. So she went one on one. Only one person saw her last? Is that effect?
Speaker 3: It sounds like that is correct. Yes, we do know for sure. That she was at Annie and Tomaso. Is that you say his name, Tomaso Tomaso.
Speaker 4: At their home having dinner and playing card games. Because they actually even spoke to the uber driver who took her there, and he was very cooperative with police, they said, just explaining that she said she was going to her families for dinner and card games, so they know that's true. At nine forty eight, the garage door opens. At nine point fifty, the garage door closes.
Speaker 2: That is so interesting to me because that says Nancy Guthrie's home and safe for the night.
Speaker 4: Yes, And that is what Tamaso told police that they reported this, that he said, I made sure she got in and she was safe. That is the last we saw her. So there you go, right, And then here's where it gets really interesting. At one forty seven am, the door bell camera is disconnected. At two twelve am, there is motion detected by a camera. It could have been animal, it could have been our human, it could have been but it was some movement.
Speaker 3: And the problem is apparently Nancy.
Speaker 4: Guthrie didn't subscribe, so there was no way of reviewing that video. It just went out into the ether. It was not recorded, and then at two twenty eight am, that is when her pacemaker disconnected from the app. So the one seven am doorbell can being disconnected and the two twelve motion detection by something, those two things seem like they are connected.
Speaker 2: And he was the one that brought up, not us. The share made the point to say, oh, no, it could have been an animal. That's a hell of a coincidence that when all these other weird things are going on the pace. What within forty five minutes, the doorbells disconnected, there's motion at the front porch, and the pacemaker's disconnected in forty five minutes. Tough to say those oddities, aren't you.
Speaker 4: You've got to believe, just from a common sense standpoint, that those are all related. And that is when she was taken. And the interesting thing is, because obviously we've gone through all of these possible theories about what could have happened to Nancy Guthrie, but to know that her pacemaker was still connected until two twenty eight that would suggest she was alive at two twenty eight am, and that's the last bit of information we have about her condition.
Speaker 2: This makes no sense that an eighty four year old woman is safe at home at ten o'clock at night. Why is she disturbed again? Why did somebody go back to that house? What in God's name has happened to this one?
Speaker 3: Yes? And how? And why is their blood on her front?
Speaker 1: Corse?
Speaker 3: Blood drops it?
Speaker 4: Finally look, we saw them and finally police confirmed it is Nancy Guthrie's blood. So we don't know what they found inside the home. We don't know if there was blood inside the home, if there was a significant amount of blood inside the home. We only know that they said they believe she was harmed when she was taken, and they said that what they saw at that scene was gravely concerning the scene, meaning the home en roads.
Speaker 2: We look those images now, that blood in the front has been everywhere. We're not talking about a couple of specs that you have to look closely for. This is someone who had a significant injury, yes, and was bleeding and they said that as her blood.
Speaker 1: But folks, yesterday we did get again.
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned several other updates, they have also upped the reward for Nancy Guthrie for information leading to finding her. And also not really sure what to make of it, but cash Ptel is now in the middle of this investigation. We think we'll explain the confusion about the FBI director's involvement in this case to hear we continue here on this Friday morning, February sixth update on the search for Nancy Guthrie Robes. Is the FBI director going to not to help in this case? But I thought the President said he's throwing all resources, including his FBI director, at the problem, and now so is he going on not?
Speaker 3: Apparently he is going to Tucson.
Speaker 1: To help out in the investigation.
Speaker 3: Oh but wait, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: So this is according to the FBI director who is there leading the investigation in Tucson. The local guy Jankie I believe is his name. His name is what Heath. His name is what jank j A n k E Janki jonkye Yankee. Let's just go sounds better, sounds terrible. I am so sorry if I just massacred his name. But Heath, we can call him Heath. He said that the trip that Cash Bettel is taking to Tucson is unrelated to the Guthrie investigation.
Speaker 3: I will quote him.
Speaker 4: He does have a trip schedule to Tucson that was pre scheduled before this, but he is receiving consistent and constant updates from our team here.
Speaker 3: Look, you and I believe we both saw.
Speaker 4: There has been criticism once it was announced that cash Bettel was coming into Tucson to help with the investigation. We saw some folks online, some law enforcement folks on television admonishing him for it, saying he is a distraction.
Speaker 3: He is doing this for his own look at me, Look at me.
Speaker 4: He inserts himself into high profile cases and actually takes away from the important police work that we're doing because he serves ultimately as a distraction. And so people were up there kind of lambasting him for going and putting himself in the middle of it. So look, read what you'd like into what Now the FBI is saying, Oh, no, he's not inserting himself, he's not coming here for Guthrie. He had something else. He had a prior commitment that just so happened to be in Tucson, that just so happened to be when the biggest story in this country is.
Speaker 3: Going on and he just got criticized.
Speaker 2: It's possible, Okay, it's possible he had a trip. I'm saying I don't know. However, they did tell us he was going specifically to help out on this. That's not okay, that is what we're talking about. But we're at a story, this big, a case, this big, Robes, this is where we are and this is not our fault.
Speaker 1: This is his.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter what he says in front of a microphone or he tweets. We have to go get a second and third and fourth source from the FBI director. He's done this repeatedly. Robes put out information significant to a case we're all watching, and he has one rong.
Speaker 1: We can't trust him on this case. Robes.
Speaker 4: If he puts out on X or gets up in front of in front of a microphone and says they've made an arrest and they've got their guy, we're not going to be able to report that.
Speaker 1: Pause.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to actually get a second source.
Speaker 4: Let's look into this because it's been twice now in it.
Speaker 3: He's even the Charlie Kirk assassination.
Speaker 4: Wrong.
Speaker 2: That's tough, and look I am not we're not the but we had camera with the guy's name yesterday we were watching, so he's been It was in the FBI thirty forty years, all the high profile bit cases. He said, I have never seen my FBI director on scene. He said, no, I never saw him outside of his office. Yeah, and it wasn't a criticism. He was saying, he lets agents do our work and he's not hovering. He's not out there all the time. Look, Cash Bezel can have a different way of going about it, and some people might appreciate it. It hasn't been beneficial at least from a public standpoint.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so that maybe could be the reason why now he's not going to Tucson to.
Speaker 3: Be a part of the Guthrie investigation.
Speaker 1: I guess this was expected as well.
Speaker 2: The other update, they upped the reward possibly here robes for finding her. It was a lot of people have heard it earlier, big as the story was, and given who Nancy Guthrie's daughter is, folks like twenty five hundred dollars that's not enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Upstown people.
Speaker 4: People may made a lot of comments and directed them at Savannah as if Savannah had anything to do with the reward money. People please, I mean people who are coming after her. It's she had nothing to do with that. That is crime stoppers, that is the police, that is the local resources. They don't encourage families, especially families with means, to create huge rewards because now you just incentivize people to commit crimes against your family if you have a certain amount of wealth.
Speaker 3: So that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: But yes, the reward is now at fifty thousand dollars and that is significant. Look, we can see already that people are trying to cash in in criminal, horrific ways to try and make some money on someone else's tragedy. But this would actually be something that hopefully could incentivize somebody who might have information that could lead to finding or figuring out what happened to Nancy Guthrie.
Speaker 2: If money works, fine, but it's weird to think you need to be incentivized by money to try to help out in finding an eighty four year old woman in poor health. So I know the money hell, and you know on the ransom thing, the FBI guy said, didn't publicly ransom. That's the family's call, yes, he said, he said, yep, we don't have anything to do with that. If they want to handle they want to put up he said, he said it, that is on them. They don't have to listen to authorities. We can advise, but we have no say over what they do there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, if it were your family member, you would try anything. You would pull out all the stops, you'll say, you would even say to yourself. And Savannah gets this. She's covered enough of these stories, not quite like this, but certainly she knows that it probably is not that great of a chance that this is actually a kidnapping situation where she's talking to a kidnapper.
Speaker 3: But you know what she might be.
Speaker 4: And so if it's your loved one, you would you would exhaust all options, even if the chances of it bearing fruit were minimal, you would still do it.
Speaker 3: So I understand why they're doing this, all.
Speaker 2: Right, folks, no press availability schedule for today, I have that right, Robes. They don't have a press car schedule for today.
Speaker 4: He actually said after this past one that they are not going to hold another one unless there is a significant development. He said, there's no point in us or me getting up here and just going over the same information.
Speaker 3: And that does make sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I have some thoughts on how these press conferences are going, but it's everybody's under can you can imagine the stress they're under the whole Everybody is watching these authorities, how they do every single thing. The scrutiny's going to be there, but you know everybody's doing their best and want to bring this woman home. We want to give you that update. I say that update. There were several significant updates about this story. As always, top right corner of your Apple podcast app, where you see our show page at little button that says follow, click that you can always get our updates coming to you, and there have been a plenty here lately, but for now we appreciate you listening. As always, I am TJ. Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy Robock. We will talk to you also