Speaker 1: Hi everyone, this is Lee Clasgow when We're Talking Transports. Welcome to Bloomberg Intelligence Talking Transports podcast. I'm your host, Lee Clasgow, Senior freight transportation logistics Analysts at Bloomberg Intelligence, Bloomberg's in house research arm of almost five hundred analysts and strategists around the world. A quick public service announcement before we dive in. Your support is instrumental to keep bringing great guests and conversations to you, our listeners, and we need your support, so please, if you enjoy this podcast, share it, like it and leave a comment. Also, if you've got ideas, feedback, or just want to talk transports, I'm always happy to connect. You can find me on the Bloomberg terminal, on LinkedIn, or on x at Logistics. Lee, I'm very excited to have with us today. Indeed, grow principal analyst at dat. Dat is owned by Roper Technologies, with trades under the ticker rop and as a market cap of over thirty six billion dollars. Welcome to Talking Transports. Dean.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you, first time on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you're here. We've known each other for quite some time and I've always enjoyed doing, you know, various panels with you at some industry events. I didn't give much about your backgrounds because I wanted you to tell people because I think you have a very interesting background that only you you could probably tell the story better than I can. So why don't you tell us what you do with the dot and kind of how you got there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably the only market analyst in the country that's got a CDA license and still drives a truck and still owns a truck, and it's got a few million miles under my belt. So it's a unique experience that I've been able to fuse the two. I'm a fan believer that when you do data analytics, you've got to understand the context and how the data came about in the first place. So all of my operational experience really can help me look behind and get a sense of whether they're real or not and what story they're telling. Because, as you know, it's such a nuanced market, the truckload market, knowing how it all fits together is really important. So I've been here twenty six years. Prior to that, I lived in Australia and did a few million miles driving road trains and hauling cattle all around the country. And I grew up in a family cattle hauling business in the outback of Australia and then in the latter part of the nineties moved to the US take up an opportunity to work with the Harvard professor who I met at a conference. So that sort of led me into the data science and data analytics piece, which was and it Cicadian. We were designing twenty four to seven workforce management scheduling programs in trucking. So my experience being an over the road driver and manager of large fleets enabled me to help help the data scientists build predicted models to predict things like sleep and accident severity, and build models that could actually help fleets figure out which schedules in the fleet had the most tired drivers, for example. So very interesting twenty six years that I've been here, but the last ten years they've been in freight market analytics. Five years at Freight Waves and then five years here at DAT but sort of all on the market analytics side of the business in more recent times.
Speaker 1: And I also know you did some great work with a wreath across America. Can you just talk about that data organization?
Speaker 2: What do you do? Yeah, I've got a big reachs Across America tribute on the back of my Peterbelt truck. It's on the fifth worel cover. So I get asked about it. A lot Reach across America is comes from the organization up in Columbia. Fall's main really started a couple of decades ago when the Wooster family had an ex of wreaths. The Worcester family up in Columbia falls make They have a reef company, and they decided that rather than throw the reefs away, they would take them to Arlington and place them on some headstones. That has grown into an event, an annual event, reeth Across America Reserve five our one c Every year they place wreaths on headstones of our fallen heroes all over the country, in fact, all over the world. LEE. The numbers are staggering. Last year they moved about eight hundred truck loads in this three week period to fifty four hundred destinations across the country. Each truck's got about maybe ten to twelve deliveries per trailer. They'll load about six thousand wreaths in every fifty three foot van and when you go to Columbia falls main to the driver lounge, which is what they call it. Some foods do all the catering, and then truckers come in and out. They cycle in and out of the driver's lounge, which is kind of a massive truck stop, but it's just dedicated solely to this three week period when Reads across America load all these wreaths and then ship them to all of the areas. And these truckers that do it do it every year. Large fleets, you know, large fleets that you would know Werner and Schneider always allocate a few trucks to go there, and it's a huge cost, but it's all donated services. There's a couple of million in freight that's donated by all the carriers and it ends up in Arlington is the main focus for Roots, where we go each year to place a few hundred thousand wreaths on the headstones of all of the fallen heroes there. So that's Reads across America. It's in December each year, is the main event.
Speaker 1: All right, great, you know that that's great work that you do for that organization. So dat you know they're kind of moved. Not just a load board, I guess anymore. Can you talk about it about what, you know, the evolution of DT and the services you guys provide today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from the Dialer Truck in nineteen seventy eight, it's now become you know, DAT freight natalist.
Speaker 1: I always laugh when I hear that. I always like because for a long time I had no idea what DAT stood for. And then Dialer truck that's, you know, using the old phone.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, I when I before the Internet, when I traveled to the US, I'd be in a truck stop and you'd hear this ding, And the ding was when a new load popped up on the screen. And back then they had TV monitors all around the truck stop and drivers could sit and look at the loads that brokers were posting. So that's sort of synonymous with DAT. Of course, now with the Internet and phones, that's all very mobile. But Dialer Truck is sort of the largest load board. We have about three million loads get posted on in our load board every week. We see about one hundred and fifty billion in freight spend every year, of which fifty is contract one hundred billion is spot. So we see about a third of the truckload market each year from a loads moved and rating perspective. But there's two parts. One is the freight match where we match carriers and loads, and the other is the rating engine, which is the historical rates going back a decade to twelve years now of all of the rates that have been carriers have moved loads on various lanes over that time, and then of course we forecast where rates would be and those rates are instrumental in shiper RFPs. For example, when a carrier or a broker would bid on a shipper's freight network and provide a commitment at a certain rate, and they use our product to do their bids and figure out where rates would be, and brokers use it to negotiate with carriers and carriers use it to negotiate with brokers.
Speaker 1: Great, and you know, we have some select data from DT on the Bloomberg terminal, which is critical and the research that I do that's again available on the Bloomberg terminal. So you know, I wanted to have you on because it seems like things are actually getting better in the trucking market, something we probably haven't said in four years. I was just at a an industry conference at the Arkansas Trucking Association conference, and the mood was, I would say, you know pretty good. I think people are pretty optimistic.
Speaker 2: So can you.
Speaker 1: Tell talk to us about what you're seeing, you know, with the data on det about you know, how is the spot market evolving and what does that mean for the contractual market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, normally we would say that spot leads contract by four to six months, and that hasn't been evident in the last three years because both have been relatively flat because it's been a multi freight recession. But this is a very It's the first time I've ever seen this happen, and this is sort of this capacity led market in we're not seeing demand change the narrative just yet, but spot rates are up and holding at about twenty to twenty five percent higher than they were a year ago, not because we've got more loads on trucks, but simply because there's fewer trucks to haul the same loads. And that means that we've seen a structural removal of capacity that's affecting both the contract and the spot market. And I'll sort of give you a sense of what that means if contract rates are up, well, spot rates are up about twenty to twenty five percent. Contract rates in the last few weeks have just started to rise from new rates and new rates entering routing guides based on a carrier and a broken negotiating with a shipper have been really flat for a year. Carriers haven't been able to get substantial rate increases on their bids. But in the last six weeks we have seen a noticeable trend upwards where last week new contract rates in drive and coming into routing guides for the very first time based on a recent up four to five percent than they were a year ago. Now the twelve month average is zero percent, like flat, but we're starting to see this inflection where drive a flatbed and reefer contract rates are starting to rise. Now we'll know a little bit more when the ISMPMI comes out Monday how domestic manufacturing is really faring, because that'll be the first read after the Middle East war. But demand is sort of going through this seasonal inflection. We always see there's a lot more volume in building construction nursery planting season, so that's driving more volume into the market. But because there's a structural removal of capacity that has meant that as spring seasonality hits, we're seeing far few available trucks to move those loads. And that's what's underpinning this. Now why, I mean, the bigger question is why. And this is this structural removal of capacity that we're seeing because of what's going on in the government world. So we're seeing this sort of eye think the biggest wave of regulatory change in a generation going on right now, and I think this is structural for all the shippers. This is not a cyclical seasonal thing. This means that the driver pool is going to shrink noticeably because of what the industry is doing with things like English language proficiency enforcement, non domicile CDL revocations, all the training school work that's been done around changing their requirements, making sure they meet standards. So we're seeing this tightening of rules around who can drive and how they train and how they're tested. It's resulting in a shrinking driver a qualified driver pool. So if you fast forward this too later in the year and next year, it means that it's going to be harder to get into this industry as a broker, carrier and a driver and it's going to be harder to stay in the industry. And what that means is the industry loses its see lessticity when it comes to ramping up demand. So a lot of contract carriers are going to find it harder to find qualified drivers because of the higher standards. Now you could add drug testing onto that, where they're looking to bring in hair follicle testing, which will pick up five times the number of drivers that currently gets through with urine testing. What that means if you sort of forecast this out, it means that with an aging population, you know, maybe for first time ever, we do have a legitimate driver shortage. Because that's where we're heading is to a shrinking available driver pool that is driven structurally, not by a market cycle necessarily. So that's where we are. We haven't been able to say that Lee for three years, maybe four years, that things are actually improving. I would not have thought things would be improving for any reason other than demand. There was a demand catalyst that the market took off. Well that's not the case. This is a supply driven market correction and here we are.
Speaker 1: So I'm dat. You know, you mentioned a lot of things that are driving this. You know driving some of this capacity to be leaving the market. Is there are there any numbers, facts and figures that you can share with us that kind of illustrates we?
Speaker 2: Yes, so there are, there are a couple. I'll give you a sense of what that looks like. So we've got you know, it's timely that we're talking now. We've got road check week next week and what's eleventh and twelfth, so it'll be the week after that. But they did in Florida, just to give you a sense of how much this how big of a problem this is, the federal government did how to think call operational safe drive in January this year, where they are across twenty six states. In January went and did all of these inspections around non domicil city or English language proficiency immigration checks and of the they found about six point eight percent of those drivers fail the English language proficiency test. And out of that came this sort of we started to see this exodus of capacity that the cold weather in January was masking it. But what we were seeing around certain areas was a noticeable decrease in truckload capacity. And I can't put numbers on in terms of how many trucks exited. But what we saw in January across this twenty six state sweep was and I think it's more than coincidence that when the weather started to improve, we started to see spot rates start to lift but hold at an elevated level. Normally, when you see cold weather events, rates go up and then they come down. Well, they went up when winterwstorm Fern hit, but then they remained elevated, which coincides with this rapid escalation in enforcement by the federal government and state transport agencies. So we saw this capacity ex and rates held higher during the first quarter, which is normally a pretty weak quarter, and then just a few weeks ago, the Florida Law Enforcement Group did a inspection on thirty three hundred trucks and put fifty four out of service because of English language. They were about thirty that were arrested, and there was a whole lot of crazy stuff. But I think that what we haven't seen before is this state and federal driven enforcement safety blitz on immigration status and driver qualifications. I haven't seen that outside of road check week, So that's the big difference. We're seeing the number of drivers that post their trucks on our load board each week, which is a measure of capacity. We're seeing that at the lowest level we've ever seen like so normally when capacities loose, lots of drivers are putting their truck on our load board to try and find freight. We are seeing and I'll just give you the numbers. Our number of trucks on our load board now down about thirty percent compared to last year. That's the number of trucks posting their equipment for loads. Volume of loads, they're probably about thirty percent higher than last year because brokers are scrambling to find trucks, so that's load posts, which is kind of a measure of desperation to find trucks. So if you've got more loads being posted on a load board and fewer trucks posting their trucks, you get this massive inflection in spot rates. And so if you look at our equipment post numbers, they have been steadily declining all year, which again is consistent with this exodus of capacity, notwithstanding some of the stuff we've seen on sixty minutes. More recently, there's been a lot of capacity out there that's added capacity to the market because they've been running a lot more miles than would be legally allowable now, so that comes out of the market. We bring a lot of drivers out of the market that shouldn't be in the market for a number of reasons. And then lee you've got this other phenomenon where you go to anything on the southern border. We are seeing incredibly tight capacity for a lot of Mexican produce that's coming across. We're in the peak at that season right now, because a lot of the capacity on the southern border, particularly for westbound loads back to Los Angeles, comes from California in the first place. So those rates when you look at McCallen in the Rio Grande Valley back to Los Angeles, from exactly the time that ICE and DHS set up shop on the southern border in Texas, rates started to rise for that lane, back to the fifteen hundred mile lane back from Mcallon to Los Angeles. The carriers now on that lane are getting double what they were a year ago.
Speaker 1: Double and that's because of the crackdown on the cabitage of those drivers trying to get more free while they're in the.
Speaker 2: It's not so much. This is where if you listen to enforcement numbers, you don't really see what's going on. Because this is a behavioral change. It's not they're not getting picked up on the road side. They're just electing not to go there. They don't want to leave California. And so here's where the inflection point for the produce season. Most of your long haul produce carriers out of California are minority carriers and they run teams. So where you and I sit on the East Coast, any of our produce coming out of California is going to be hauled by minority truckers in teams the vast majority. And they've been very selected about the lanes they run. So when you look at all of our produce lanes out of California right now, they're all sitting at about twenty percent higher year over year. And the produce season hasn't really started yet off the West coast. So there's to answer your question, there's everywhere I look in the market, I'm seeing spot rates sitting at about twenty to twenty five percent high than they wear a year ago across all of these major freight lanes because of the structural removal of capacity. It's about the best way we could put numbers around what this looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was talking to a CEO of a large trucking company the other day and they mentioned there was a back hall lane where they were getting forty percent increase in rates just because the shipper is just really looking to secure capacity. You know, I think it was interesting to think that you said about the sixty minutes piece, and there was also another piece that highlighted truck safety on CBS. You know, so not only are you getting a federal government that's cracking down on the supply side, these issues that are plaguing the trucking company and kind of really hurting the good players, because there's plenty of good players in the trucking market.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's coming to the forefront of you know, the conversation that people are having, and it just seems that the industry is right for some good regulation that'll take a lot of these bad players out, that'll have that structural change on top of the things that we're seeing today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't imagine what this market will be like when demand starts to materially improve. I think that's going to be you know, I think the freight recovery is still a second half of this year discussion. But you know, in prior years, we really weren't sure we had you know, the tariff, you know, the trade war sort of come in last year Liberation Day last April, then the market kind of went flat for the rest of the year. This year we've got you know, the Middle East war has caused diesel prices to rise sharply. That's put a lot of pressure on our small spot market carriers. In fact, it's accelerated the exodus of carriers out of the market, the more marginal ones. So that sort of steepens this rate inflection because of the reduction in available capacity. If the enough manufacturing side of our business starts to improve, and we've got this structural removal capacity going on, you get to a point where rates do start to rise materially. Now, the flip side of that is higher rates will attract more capacity into the market, so you'll have and I think they'll be the right carriers though, so if you've got new capacity coming in, there'll be different types of carriers. This year, I think we get to a more stable freight market cycle coming into twenty twenty seven. But I think the point for shippers will be at a much higher cost base because I think what you're seeing now is the inflationary effect of it's rising costs overall tariffs on steel, aluminum, things like that that go into the manufacturing of truck's the base cost. You add an EPA regulations, the base cost of a truck is rising, and then you've got the inflationary effect of all the other variable costs. So we'll end up with a higher cost base to run equipment in the next year or so. I think that's important to remember as we start to think about where rates might go. Carriers we read the recent earnings calls, they are all getting their adjusting their earnings expectations. I think from low single digits to maybe mid to you know, higher double digit rate increases. Based on some of the last earnings calls we read last week, I haven't seen them talk more positively about the market like they are this quarter than in the last two or three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just anecdotally. I was actually also at this Arkansas Trucking Association conference, which is which is a great show if you're ever in the area, you know, I was talking to somebody that leases trucks and they were expecting, you know, use prices to start really going down because so many of these I guess trucking companies that don't pass the mustards or drivers are going to be returning their trucks. And also the average age is pretty old right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think you'll see new truck orders will start to rise, people will start to add capacity. But I also think there'll be good demand for low Miley's used trucks. I think there's still there's a strong appetite for those, but those higher mileage, you know, used trucks that are coming out of those fleets that you've seen we've all seen on the highways with multiple DT and MC numbers on the side and you know, handwritten numbers that that cohorta trucks will be out there, and those prices should drop fairly substantially.
Speaker 1: So we have, like you know, all intense purposes, like tepid demand right now. It's really a supply side correction that we're seeing. So you know, when you look on the Bloomberg terminal, GDP isn't really expected to grow much from where we are around two percent, So it's it's unless something exciting happens, you know, demand is probably going to be where it is today in your mind, like, how is this upcycle going to be? Is this going to be a longer upcycle because of the supply and maybe can you talk about, you know, what the cycles have been in the past and where you think they're going to go you know today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going to be a longer up cycle, more sustained. I think you'll probably see, you know, the elasticity that we saw in the recent cycle where we flexed up in the pandemic, we double the number four higher carrier authorities and it's been gradually bleeding off ever since. I think that goes away, and I think so, I think the ability for fleets to flex up in terms of capacity is going to be They're going to have a lot of friction, a lot more friction this time around because the driver pool is shrinking dramatically because of the new standards that are being put in front of them. So I think that's that's going to drive a lot more sustained rate increases, I think in the next year, because you have to at some point, this economy has to start improving and we have to start you know, getting better. That's sort of hopefully, yeah, hopefully it's the next year discussion. But I think that the overarching thing is that there's there's fewer available trucks in the market right now, and I think that's just going to get worse in the spot market. So that means that carriers that are in the spot market it gat to be do an exceptional well. We should see tender rejections and tender acceptant rates change dramatically as contract carriers take available or make themselves available to the spot market to take advantage of the highest spot rates. So that sort of drives that next contract rate rise that we typically see when you see that routing guide failure start to take over. So I think that's inevitable. We're already seeing our acceptant rates start to fall across our contract shipper market. I think it's a more sustained rate cycle this next one. I don't think we see the wild swings we saw during the pandemic. But again, I think we see what we saw back in twenty eighteen in terms of the rate increases, so fairly strong bull market for carriers and brokers. Shippers paid the price for that at the end of that year, But I think that's more likely cycle that I think I'm going to expect in the next year.
Speaker 1: Right, So do you think that you know, we are everyone's saying that the market's going to get tight, and we're all saying that rates are going to move higher. But do you think we're underestimating how tight it can be?
Speaker 2: I do. Chris Pickett from Coyote said at a conference he thinks spot rates will be up for I think it was forty percent. I could be wrong, but it was. It was a crazy number at the time. And this was at the JP Morgan event in Washington, and I said, I said to him, really, are you sure that's that's what his modeling shows? And I thought, Wow, that would be extraordinary. So now a couple of months away from that discussion, and I think it's highly likely we could see those sorts of spot rate changes year over year. I think that becomes a reality in the spot market because I think the the the reduction in capacity, you know, demand can move pretty quickly, but the adding more drivers takes a lot more time, Like capacity takes a lot more time to come back into the market, and I think that's where you're going to see this year higher spot rates because even if demand improves slightly, the exodus of all of this surplus capacity is going to mean that spot rates, I think will start to rise more rapidly the further we get into this year. Got ya.
Speaker 1: And when we're when we're talking about the supply coming back in, you know, obviously there's this you know, there's going to be just less people to want to come back in because of the you know, the whole pool has been cut. You know, when you're when you're looking at supply and demand dynamics, you know, outside of the seasonality of like growth, the growing season and things like that, are there certain regions that you know you expect will be tighter than others.
Speaker 2: The oil field permanent basin oil field volumes, so you know, it's one of our biggest freight lanes is Houston to Lubbock in the Permian basin, where about half of our drilling rigs are located. Drilling rigs are down something like drill the rig counts down something like seven to eight percent year over year. Loads moved on that lane. They have flatbed loads of drill pipe and casing are down about twenty percent year over year, right which maps like fewer drills, fewer drilling rigs, less loads. Rates they are up forty percent year over year because there's fewer flatbed trucks to move those reduced number of loads. So I think Texas is a big flatbed market. We're seeing anywhere where there's data centers being built, we're seeing incredibly high demand for flatbed and specialized trailers. So that's sort of underpinning a lot of the flatbed demand. The other area, I think this is going to be incredibly difficult for shippers and brokers to find capacities California for some of the reasons we just mentioned. We're not even seeing California produced seasons come online. Rates are already higher. We're about to see I think historic rates out of Miami. We're what two weeks away from Mother's Day, where ninety percent of our flowers come in from South America into Miami. Rates are already up twenty year over year out of Miami and we're not even into the peak of shipping of flowers, and flatbed rates are about to hit a record high, like the highest we've ever recorded in the summer. So there's there's areas I think that are going to see a lot of tight capacity. But I do think our headline at the start of the year was constraint, sort of stabilizing demand meets constrained supply, and that's kind of where I think this market will end up in this equilibrium situation. But as soon as you get a spike in demand, you're going to see incredible rate volatility. So that's what we expect with Mother's Day coming up. When you start to get into produce season, any of those produce season, you're going to see extraordinarily high refrigerated rates this year as soon as demand hits, because produce mostly moves on the spot market, and I think tied to your port markets, when you start to see imports start to improve around some of those seasonal peaks, you'll see incredible, incredibly tight demand their tight supply for those loads to move. There's a really strong correlation between imports, say in New York or Savannah and Los Angeles and drive and rates. They tend to you know, the spot rates tend to run on a three to four week lag when after the volumes hit. So again, I think that's another market we're watching given.
Speaker 1: These structural changes. You know, how do you think shippers should be behaving right now with capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think doing the same thing they've been doing, which is locking in capacity with their incumbent carriers, but thinking more about not thinking less about rates and more about capacity, which is not what they've done. I think. So any shipper that's still thinking about rate reductions will be very disappointed. So I think my advice to any shipper would be, you've got to be if you're chasing lower rates, be very concerned about the survivability of that carrier. But I would be thinking more about now this is no longer about taking rates. It's about securing your capacity on those core lanes. And in our ship at World, eighty percent of their volume moves on twenty percent of the lanes, and that would be where I would focus is make sure I lock in capacity on my core volume and have a good working relationship with those carriers, and then deal with build in a structured spot market, buy with a broken network. For the remaining volume that we're you got one load a week or one load a month, and typically those loads would have a higher reject rate probability because large carriers don't necessarily have trucks where one load a week might originate, whereas a spot market broker or carry a network is more likely going to pick that up. So that's what I would be recommending for shippers is pricing power has shifted to carriers. That's evident. But for three years ship has had all the pricing power, and now I would be thinking very much about carriers survivability if you're looking for cheap rates, but if you're looking to lock in capacity, then be prepared to pay more for it this year.
Speaker 1: So do you think, like you know, the industry is getting more and more digitized. You know, we have digital brokers, we have traditional brokers that are really leaning into AI like a H. Robinson, you know, because of the rise of digital brokers and pricing transparency, you know, is this do you think this is going to have an impact on like the cycles going forward, at least the rate cycles talking.
Speaker 2: About Yeah, I think it speeds up the cycles. So it speeds up any inflection in the cycle because people have more transparency and they can react quicker. I think that's one of the reasons we've seen the market cycles have a shorter duration but a higher amplitude. Carriers can now react to the market more quickly. Because they've got more visibility into the market, they can negotiate better. They can use AI tools to help them negotiate what lanes to bid on and how aggressively to bid on them. I've got to outeroperate friends of mine that take my weekly report, feed it into clawed aio, then they go into rate view and they build this matrix of what's my week look like and what are the rates on all of these lanes, and that kind of sets their bid strategy. I did hear though, that AI has sort of gone past the very helpful stage too. Now it's creating a lot of noise and now I have to find a way to filter out a lot of the stuff that we're seeing in the market. Just an evolutionary phase that we're going through. But I do think it's helping brokers in particular with automating, so you know, we've got our convoy platform that automates those loads where there's a clean match. But what surprised me is carriers adoption of AI, and they were I thought they'd be much longer, especially the small carriers, in bringing this to market, but a lot of them have figured out that it's fairly easy. You can just talk to your AI tool and feed at information and it'll spit back something that might not be perfect, but it's better than what you had, which was nothing, which was you know, a phone and a negotiation and no real knowledge of what the market was doing in terms of rates.
Speaker 1: And so, you know, you've seen a lot of cycles. Just given all your experience, you know what's the one lesson you think the industry forgets during these cycles?
Speaker 2: I think the carriers tend not to have well shippers probably drive this. They tend not to have good memories because I think they play they they make the mistake of chasing the market down and chasing cheap rates, and of course what that does when you chase the market down, you kind of drive capacity out, and that creates the sharper inflection, which is not what It's not the reason we're seeing it now, but it's a factor. So I think the thing that a lot of people forget is that carriers need predictability in their rates. They need good partners, and a cheap rate doesn't necessarily work with them. So I think that's it's the memory. Thing that a lot of shippers tend to forget is that they need to carry a network, and cheap rates only help, you know, for a certain period of time, and then the market inflex and now they're scrambling. And that's what's happening right now. They're scrambling to find capacity to move these loads, even on the contract market. And that'll be another bit of lesson that they'll go through this year. But you could say, well, didn't you learn that from twenty eighteen and twenty sixteen and twenty fourteen, And the answer is no, because they don't think like that.
Speaker 1: And you know, what would you say, given you know the all the data that you see, what is the most misunderstood data point in the trucking industry.
Speaker 2: It's a great point, I think load posts, right, So a lot of people say, oh, load posts are you know people double post overposts, and yeah, absolutely, But it's a market signal and I watched it for five years. I've watched these load posts across all of our equipment times and it's a really good indicator of where the spot market is going. I think people misunderstand it and discount it because of the fact that you know, brokers might post the same load or a shipper might send out a load to five brokers, so it's got five posts. Well, when you actually look at the relation between the rate movement and the overposting is a very strong signal that comes from that. Like, so the more overposting you see, the more pressure there is to find trucks, and you see rates mapping to that. That's the inverse. When you see fewer load posts for the same load, you've got plenty of capacity and rates tend to go down. So I think it's misunderstood and discounted too quickly, But to me, it's a really good signal about where the market's at.
Speaker 1: So you know, you mentioned you're one of the few folks that cover the space from an analytical standpoint with the CDL, and you know you used to drive trucks for a living. You know what is the one thing you miss about being behind a wheel full time?
Speaker 2: It's kind of the freedom. It's just being out moving around the scenery. It's hard to describe once it's in your blood. It's really hard to describe why you do it because it's the hardest job I've ever done in my life, not because of the driving piece, but all the other stuff that goes on the the delays, the weather, the traffic, the dock time, all of that stuff. I just I miss the What I really miss is the sense of achievement you have with moving something like it's a Truckers take a lot of pride in their ability to put a load on a trailer in a van and deliver it in a reasonable period of time in one piece. And you might say, well, that's table stakes. That's actually pretty hard to do for a lot of freight types and roads we drive on. But I kind of miss that piece because there's a real sense of achievement when it comes to doing that and doing it successfully. Especially flatbed is that's a whole other animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little more lever intensive a little bit. Yeah, all right, Dean, I think we're coming up on our time. I really want to thank you for your insights today and I really appreciate your friendship over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Lee.
Speaker 1: Great to be with you, and I also want to thank you for tuning in. If you like the episode, please subscribe and leave a review. We've lined up a number of great guests for the podcast, so please check back to hear conversations with C suite executives shippers, regulators and decision makers within the freight markets. Also, if you want to learn more about the freight transportation markets, check out our work on the Bloomberg Terminal at Bigo and on social media. But I'd also like to thank our producers Miriam Trore and Aditia Somani for helping to pull this podcast together. This is Lee Clasgow signing off and thanks for talking transports with me. Talk to you next week. Bye bye.