Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today. I'm Paul Sweeney alongside Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 3: I want to take us to honorad Rona. He is Bloomberg Intelligence technology analyst Core Weed buying Core Scientific. It's an all stock transaction, anurag. I want to bring you in and talk about this. For core Weed, what is the benefit from this, What do they gain from this?
Speaker 4: And think about it that they have capacity to process ex summer of transactions, all the backlock that they have with this particular deal, they are expanding their infrastructure. I mean it's a very simple deal as if you know, they're just buying more factories to produce what they do. So it's as simple as that.
Speaker 2: Tell us what Core we've is, what do they do and why are they shouting out nine billion dollars to get bigger?
Speaker 4: I guess so in the rest of pure reforms, they are just renting computing resources to anybody that wants to run an AI infrastructure. They are a very big Nvidia shop. They basically buy GPUs from Nvidia, they create a network or an infrastructure, and they give it to people to go out and experiment or do whatever they need to do on that infrastructure. It's no different than what AWS does, but very heavy focus on GPUs rather than the CPO. So that's really the big difference between a pure play provider like Corevive versus Amazon Web Services.
Speaker 3: Now, if you can dig into some of the background, what kind of challenges has Core We've had in the past. I mean, didn't they have a pretty dismal IPO.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's really the most important thing is, you know, they everybody thought when they're going to come out as the first pure play you know AI infrastructure IPO, it's going to be extremely popular, but it didn't happen. And the reason for that is because they need a large amount of upfront capital to build these data centers and then the workload comes in over the next several years. There's a lot of questions about whether there's going to be sustainability of this GPU demand going forward several years out. So that's why you were right. The IPU came at forty in a few days it was down to thirty five. But now we're seeing you know, the stock croser who won sixty before this deal was announced, so I you know, we have talked about it before that. You know, why aren't they doing a secondary when it's like one hundred and sixty bucks stock of What they did instead is they use their stock to go out and buy another competitor I shouldn't say competitor, but you know, another company in that space, so that it expands their capacity. And you know, I think they're doing the right thing by using stock at this point.
Speaker 5: Are there more core weaves out there on a run kind of more pure play AI stories, maybe the kind of the sausage of AI, if you will, the guts that somebody could take public.
Speaker 4: There are multiples of them there, but they are much smaller size in korby the I would say there would be hundreds of them at this point, because you know, you go out, you buy the GPU, you go out and start renting it out in the in you know, in a long time ago, this high powered computing was used for bitcoin mining, and then you know, and that's not in favor. These guys are renting out their infrastructure for other reasons. So there are other plays out there, but almost all of them are much smaller than core Viv from a you know, pure play point of view.
Speaker 3: Now we digged into Corewey, what about Core Scientific, what's the attraction to them?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just they're expanding the number of you know, the capacity that they have to process the transactions in a sense that coreviev has a massive backlog right now. They have people wanting to use their services, and then these guys have to go out and lease it from you know, other companies like Core Scientific. In this case, they said, you know, they have an agreement with them to lease their facilities. They just said, you know, we'll buy it out and expand their size. And I think that's as simple as that.
Speaker 2: And I think I have to point out Lisa core Weave based in Livingston, New New Jersey. Yeah, so folks, a little history lesson. Before there was Silicon Valley, there was New Jersey, there was Central Jersey, the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton University, Menlo Park, New Jersey. Before there's a Menlo Park, California, Menlo before there's a sand Hill Road in Silicon Valley, there's a Sandhill Road in Jersey. There's all these Jersey guys went on New Jersey's office.
Speaker 1: Back the Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.