Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, Preferred Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Jess Navarees, Aisha Morrison, Kelsey Charles, and Jane Slater.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, Hello ladies. We had football on our TVs last night. I had quite a few adult beverages while I enjoyed said football.
Speaker 5: Kelsey is down.
Speaker 4: At Austin Forner at the Texas Alabama game, and I think we're all hyped up for the Cowboys to open up their season at at and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: We got some good news from Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 4: I know that there was a bit of a cleatgate yesterday as we talked about Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: Reporters had questions for Mike. Here's what he had to.
Speaker 4: Say about Dak's availability and where that ankle's at.
Speaker 6: I just think once again, I made you know, high caution we doing. We do it with all the players. There's always exams or you know, things that go on that you know we we react everything. I think that's just the nature of the of the game. And so really, you know, I know the importance of dak in the quarterback position, but it's really standard process, you know, standard procedure. Excuse me to go through that. At anytime a player has an issue.
Speaker 5: We react to everything.
Speaker 4: To Mike, and I loved this follow up question from my GUYE Todd Archer over at ESPN, because we were.
Speaker 5: All thinking about it in the locker rooms right there. We could have solved this mystery a lot quicker.
Speaker 6: I do not own the Jordan Eleven's but I'll just say that, you know he's going to be a full, full participant today, anticipat it'll be the same tomor so I don't I don't have any concern about him playing.
Speaker 5: Something, all right.
Speaker 4: So basically the question there though was why not just go into the locker room?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just go go get a new pair of shoes.
Speaker 4: But the fact that you know, it was that ankle that had been surgically repaired twice was why I think a lot of us were sort of some of our spidy senses were going off, Oh God, here we go. The sky is falling, The sky is falling, but it sounds like it. You know, he's going back to his ja ones and no more eleven's on those feet. How did it feel for you guys to hear some of that news today, and you should We'll start with you.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was happy.
Speaker 7: I was obviously happy, but I wasn't super panicky about it anyway, just being kind of a sneaker person and understanding, like, if you don't break them things.
Speaker 1: In, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: And you could tell with some of the interviews I had listened to Mike McCarthy's interview with one of five point through the fan, you could tell that they weren't super panicked about it, but they were.
Speaker 1: Like, why would you do that today? Today? Why would you do this today?
Speaker 7: So I do feel better about it, and I'm confident he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see him plato.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was never really worried about it, especially hearing Dak's response to you yesterday, Dame, I was like, nah, he's fine. I think the tone would have been much different from him if he wasn't, and I think he wouldn't have laughed it off as much as he was if it was a serious thing.
Speaker 5: But Kelsey, we've seen him do this before.
Speaker 1: That's why everybody got PTSDA here.
Speaker 3: I know, I get Kelsey.
Speaker 4: I literally we've seen him do this at training camp with the shoulder, and so that's why.
Speaker 5: I was but why I just thought it was interesting.
Speaker 9: It was a great question on your end to ask him. But I think his response and and how he's like. But I came back and I said that I didn't know anytime.
Speaker 7: He definitely was like he handled the taking accountability for it and stuff like that, but I definitely, yeah, I'm happy that Micha McCarthy said that this morning he went down saw him, that he looked everything looked okay, because who knows we need him well.
Speaker 4: It was floating around Kelsey too that he might have even had a blister, and we haven't been able to confirm any of that. I don't know if you guys have ever because I wear ill.
Speaker 5: Fitting shoes all the time.
Speaker 4: They look cute in the store, and then you wear them twelve hours a game day and.
Speaker 5: It's it's rough.
Speaker 4: Kelsey and I already explained that, you know, I I know we've used the light of King and I always take extra band aids on a fourteen hour work day. It's I it's hard to play even if you if you happen to have a few blisters on your.
Speaker 9: Feet, yes, yes, the thing, yeah today and these are hard and just walking down to get in here, so I feel the blister's coming and Dak.
Speaker 3: We're right there with you with the blister situation.
Speaker 4: And again, if he has a blister that so I don't want that to be tweeted out that he's ready to get he's playing.
Speaker 5: With blisters on his feet. But I I, I don't know. I guess my biggest.
Speaker 4: Concern though, is if a cleat Kelsey is creating some tightness and that ankle, now you're gonna put him behind this offensive line in this book's pass rush. That's I think what concerns me a little bit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean me too. Again, like you said, we've seen this happen before. I think Dak has that warrior mindset where you know, you always hear after the season you're like, oh, Dieke Elliott was playing with this, this person was playing with that, and it honestly, guys like it very well could be that, you know, and I think that when you look at I remember talking to Travis Rutter one time, and he was telling me he's like, honestly going through a week of practice, like I feel like I've been hit by a truck. And so I think the mentality of a player when he's like I'm I'm I'm aokay, their level of like I'm good to play, I feel like is different than our level of you know, when you would consider yourself one hundred percent, right, Like how can you possibly be one hundred percent when you're enduring that type of physicality on the daily. So I think there's that factor. I honestly again, like you know, I was born tonight, but it wasn't last night. Like the fact that he didn't walk into the locker room and get something fixed, Like I'm like, I don't know, Like that just sits weird with me. I'm going to trust him either way. I trust this training staff. But yeah, if it's blisters, I recommend Moleskin. I am currently stretching out my boots for tomorrow as we speak on this show, so listen, Like, I don't know, I feel good about his odds, but I am concerned because I feel like every single factor that goes into this game needs to be pretty darn perfect for them to be able to be able to beat Tampa Bay.
Speaker 7: I also think that people, I think that just we're not used to seeing last year was a lot because Dak hasn't really been injured in his career, and then to see you know, obviously the ankle the year before, and then we have the shoulder.
Speaker 1: I think I think that the tracking that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think people are just on high alert about, you know, QB one because we understand that without him, there's not a lot to just be super excited about.
Speaker 6: What I think.
Speaker 1: Listen, don't don't play with me.
Speaker 3: I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: You saw what he didn't Minnesota, Aha, spare me.
Speaker 9: Even just being a Cowboys fan growing up and watching them, you're kind of trained to be a little worried when your quarterback gets injured.
Speaker 3: That's everything conditioning. I think.
Speaker 9: I just feel like you go back to the Tony Romo era and you were just every every hit he got, you were kind of just clinching to your seat hoping it was okay. And so I think after the ankle injury, specifically for Dak, it kind of brought back that oh man, that that really took nothing for him.
Speaker 3: To get that.
Speaker 9: Large of an injury, and so now we're kind of back to the the og days of oh, please protect Dak, please surround him with the greatest O line you can ever ever and it's not.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 9: And and that's the thing is we know the circumstances going in with the on line. We know what Dak has and what he does not have when it comes to this offensive line. And I think that is exactly why it created the hysteria yesterday. It was because we've all been following this O line situation with Tyler Smith, Tyron Smith going down since it all happened. And I think that had that not had a factor, and I think if that hadn't played out like that, it wouldn't have been blown.
Speaker 3: Up as much as it was yesterday.
Speaker 9: It still would have been blown up, just not to that extent that this guy is falling the world is ending kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Because my concern is is if he's if that ankle is giving him any problems, he's likely going to be running around scrambling. He's going to be pretty mobile on Sunday, given what he's got with the offensive line and the pass rush.
Speaker 5: And so you know, to your point, Kelsey.
Speaker 4: I think we're sort of looking at all these factors really need to line up for the Cowboys in order to have the chance of a win against a guy like Tom Brady. But I mean we'll get into it here in a little bit. The Bucks aren't at full strength, and so let me just go let me go through the entry report that just came out. So for the Cowboy side, Michael has been ruled out that it's not a shock at all.
Speaker 5: Jay Ron Curse this week had a shoulder issue.
Speaker 4: We were seeing some of that in practice and he is listed as questionable now. He did not practice on Friday, so that's going to be something to keep an eye on. But when we're talking about the Bucks, Chris Godwin is still dealing with this knee situation of his and then Russell Gage he's got the hamstring. They're both considered questionable heading into this game. And then when we were talking about the off the offensive line for the Bucks, their interior is either lacking experience or their new faces because they had retirement, injury, and free agency.
Speaker 5: Affect their offensive line.
Speaker 4: And as I explained yesterday, Dak has not gotten a lot of time behind this offensive line and then when you talk about the receiving cord that they had last year heading into week one, he had Antonio Brown, he had you know, obviously Mike Evans so and that you don't.
Speaker 5: Have Rob Gronkowski. Rob Gronkowski has been a bit of a bl for uh hoodies for Yeah.
Speaker 4: So when you look at let's see in week one of twenty twenty two, this was the receiver stats by yards. Antonio Brown one hundred and twenty one yards, not gonna have that this year. Chris god Win one hundred and five yards, he's questionable. Rob Gronkowski had ninety. You don't have them this week. So something to keep an eye on. You know, we're sitting here because it's Tom Brady, but I've been covering games where when Tom Brady is expected to do a lot, he struggles a bit, and a shout out to our boy Patrick Walker, who's now in the building. He had some really really great nuggets that I wanted to highlight. I love that he's always getting into the science, So shout out to our boy, Yes, the scientist, but he had some interesting nuggets about just Tom Brady on the road and in domes. So this was this was some good, good stuff here, he said. I did not almost say the four letter word, though he did not, I had it. I had a little cough in my throat as I'm finding here, like, wait, we need the dump button for her?
Speaker 5: Where is it all right?
Speaker 10: I actually love that you're looking this up though, because this reminds me. I feel like it was like Peyton Manning or someone when he would play. They were like, he can't play in cold weather, you know, Like I was like, how are we even thinking about this? I love that so much so, but like that's the thing that people look at with quarterbacks. I really think it was Peyton me, Like they were like, he can't play outside, like he can he can only play indoors really well, like he cannot play outside and obviously go to Denver and win the championship, but like, what.
Speaker 9: Do we know?
Speaker 4: Well, God've got some answers for you, Kelsey via Patrick Walker. Uh, forty five percent of the games that Tom Brady has lost have been on the road. Forty six percent of the games that he's lost have been inside domes, So I thought that was interesting. And also primetime, forty five percent of the games that he's lost have been in primetime. So just something to keep I'm like, shout out to Patrick Walker, but if.
Speaker 5: You're looking for.
Speaker 4: This ray of sunshine, a sliver of hope, I just think those are some things that we should highlight as we talk about this team and some of the deficiencies that Tom Brady's actually dealing with outside of the stuff that he's been dealing with off the field.
Speaker 7: Aysha, Yeah, So you mentioned jay Ron Curse, and that's actually one of the matchups that I've really been looking at is are well the Cowboys, the Cowboys UH linebackers and their linebackers and covers dropping and coverage dealing with in their tight ends and the books tight ends. I think that when you look at Tom Brady, I looked at some IS tape last year, they attacked the middle of the field to lie, especially when you're trying to just get intermediate passing because you're just trying to get the ball out quickly like he's doing, so I expect for him to be trying to attack a lot of the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: So are the safeties.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys safeties and the linebackers got to come to play. So hearing that news about jay Ron Curse is a little not fun to me. But obviously we do have a mark. There is a Markie's bell that's in the wings, that's been working really hard to get in here and hopefully step in and that role if necessary. I like the Cowboys secondary chance, secondary's chances against the Bucks Receiver Corps. And I say that because when you look at Trayvon Diggs and you look at Anthony Brown, really the guys that give them trouble are speedy, shifty guys. But there's been a lot of talk about the size on the Bucks Receiver Corps and how much bigger they are than the gentlemen that play for the Cowboys. And you look at that and a lot of people are like, oh, you know, they're gonna be able to just catch balls over the No. One thing that the Cowboys do very well is play man.
Speaker 1: They play press.
Speaker 7: So I'm hoping to see a lot of bump and run, like get them off their mark, make sure like concentration stuff, concentration drops, because we're getting the Cowboys are getting them off their game at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Hopefully some coverage sacks. Hopefully some covered sacks.
Speaker 7: I mean because Tom Brady's gonna be trying to get the ball out and if the defensive line cannot get to them, that secondary holds up makes them do another read. That could be a sack for or Micah for Osa for Neville. Who over though that that is? So I'm really also looking at these dts. The Cowboys drafted pretty defensively heavy last year. You could tell that dan Quinn has a reputation. Also, credit to coach d I can't say his name.
Speaker 1: I don't want to ruin it. The defensive line maybe dirty Dirty, yes, coach dirty. Credit to them. You could tell they had a plan for stopping the run.
Speaker 7: And we've been talking about this after that Rams game a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: They did a good job is shutting down the run last year too.
Speaker 7: If you look back at that Bucks game, yes, absolutely, the Bucks didn't have a lot of success and and the Bucks aren't a team that's just coming out to try to run the ball downhill at you. That's not what they are and that's not what they were last year for the most part. And when they tried to do that, they didn't see a lot of success there in the run game. So I'm definitely looking at the DTS in this game. I think this is such a prove it, prove it season for so many players. You're looking at Dalton Shows going into going into you know he's on that franchise tag right now.
Speaker 1: There's guys on.
Speaker 7: This team that are trying to make a statement and show who they are.
Speaker 1: Jay Ron Curst, we talked about can you do it again?
Speaker 7: Was last year of Fluke the defense as a whole, Like was this a Fluke? Is this Camante Turpin coming in from the US, Like he's trying to prove what they're So I feel like there's a lot of edge in this locker room and what they want to do. So I think the defense has the opportunity to have like a bill showing I do.
Speaker 4: Well when you look at last year, because I do think defense is going to be key here just and I also think we talked about this special teams with such a factor last year in this matchup. If you look at it defense in year one with Dan Quinn and think how much better they got as the season went on. In third down efficiency, Bucks were only five of eleven and when we look at some of let's see their rushing attempts. They had fourteen rushing attempts, they were only averaging three point seven yards per rush, and they only had fifty two yards rushing, which was about the same. When you look at the Cowboys, they weren't too far off. So what they were doing defensively to the Cowboys, the Cowboys were also doing that back defensively to the Bucks, and so I think you can expect.
Speaker 5: A very similar game.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just I think my biggest question for Dallas, because I do think they're going to shut down the run, is how much trust do you have in this receiving this young receiving corp who has not had a lot of experience finding.
Speaker 5: The end zone.
Speaker 4: So I think that's going to be that's going to be something to keep an eye on heading into this one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely, And so you know hearing I think a lot of the press conferences and the players in the locker room from the Bucks side of things, they're aware of one both the strengths that we have within the defense and two a weakness if you will, with the younger team.
Speaker 3: However, the thing.
Speaker 9: Is is, like you said, it would be much different if they didn't have things to prove, because even some of the Veteransdalton Schultz exactly right on the money with that franchise tag. I'm so glad you brought that up by you, Shad, because there's a lot of people that have to prove a lot of things, right h Micah Parsons even and and we know he's going to step up and do it, but hey, was this just first your luck or are you going to take that second your leap like everybody likes to talk about as well, Right, So, I think it's always interesting because I've honed in on Tom Brady this week.
Speaker 3: I want to see what he's saying.
Speaker 9: I want to I want to get a feel for, you know, his mentality and where he is mentally right now. And you know, we touch base on this yesterday, but even the press conference he had this morning, something's up with him and it doesn't it doesn't seem it doesn't seem like mentally he is like he normally is. And we'll get into that a little bit later from tails on the other side.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and let's do that on the other side. Let's go and take a break. Kelsey, I know we've got you down there. I want to get you to weigh in as you join us here on the phone. But let's get into some of For those of you who have not been keeping your ears and your eyes open as to what's going on in the buck side, we'll give you some tails from from from the other side, the tails of the tape. We come back on the other side of the break.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting. Miller lite and tim gallon hats while yelling, how about them Cowboys? You call it Miller time in Dallas. Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer. It's Miller time. Celebrate Responsibly, twenty twenty one, Miller Brewing Company, Fort Orth, Texas.
Speaker 13: Cowboys Way, where sixteen Hall of Famers and five championships shows us what success looks like. Where turkey is always the second best part of Thanksgiving Day, Where we are all defined by one single thing, the star, where we as fans know it's our job to keep the tradition going. Bank of America is proud to be the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys and to support the quest of living life The Cowboys Way. Copyright twenty twenty Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 4: This sweet?
Speaker 10: Did you get to work on time?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But I just realized it's Sunday.
Speaker 12: Little sweets his head on home.
Speaker 11: Dr Pepper's on its way.
Speaker 4: So sweet.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's nothing better.
Speaker 11: I'm good. You've probably done something tempts you investionistic and FG.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 3: It's a non fungible tokyo, something that is a doctor.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jigsaw Dating, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm Jane Slater of the NFL Network, joined by Aisha Morrison, Jessina Bares, and we've got Kelsey Charles on the phone from Austin as she works the Texas Alabama game. Look, As I was saying before the break, a lot of Cowboy fans don't have the time, nor the interest, I would imagine in some cases, or the inclination to sort of check what's going on in Tampa Bay.
Speaker 5: But it is important as it relates to the game.
Speaker 4: We've been talking a lot about Tom Brady's mindset, and you were listening into some of the press conferences and pulled some interesting sound for us.
Speaker 9: Jess Yeah, Hey, so here's the thing I've like I mentioned earlier, I'm honing in on Tom Brady because of everything going on. I really want to see where his head is if you can. It's kind of hard to read. I feel like he does have a good poker face, but today's press conference just seemed a little off, if you will. So let's start about what But let's start with what he did say. The Cowboys strengths were and I'm gonna go ahead and have our amazing producer, Jasmine, She's gonna go ahead and roll that clip for us.
Speaker 15: They rush the passer. I think they have a good scheme. They mix things up quite a bit. We're playing them at home. They've got a very good offense. So they're a tough team to beat, and you know it's gonna be a big challenge for the opener.
Speaker 9: So Tom Brady went on to mention again, this is the third time this week I've heard him mention these names, Trayvon Diggs, Micah Parsons. That tells me those are fresh in his mind to the two people he's going to be honed in on trying to avoid. Really, so we heard that. But the most interesting thing that I think jumped out to me about Tom Brady and his press conference today was we talked about this, I believe, yesterday with Michaeh Parsons comments about Tom Brady likes to step on people's throats like a roach, right, and that's funny.
Speaker 3: It's all in good spirits.
Speaker 9: All people his level of competition correct, and you know, Micah Parsons likes to have fun with it. And usually I feel like Tom bra he does too. I feel like Tom Brady takes those kind of comments. He laughs about it, he says something else, and it's it's one of those moments that when you're watching, it's it's fun to listen to and it, you know, adds to the camaraderie. But I want you to take a listen to what Tom's response was when reporters asked him about Micah's comment.
Speaker 15: Man, that's interesting. Yeah, you know, I just try to go win, so at the end of the day, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to hurt anyone, just trying to go out there and do my job as best I can. But I'm going out there with a lot of good players. That's the best part for me as a competitor.
Speaker 5: I just it's not having a lot of fun right now.
Speaker 9: I just find it like you're forcing somebody to laugh at something, right like, yeah, haha.
Speaker 10: That's tell me something's not wrong with him.
Speaker 5: What are you hearing?
Speaker 4: Because I know you've you and I both have reporter friends that are covering it in the market.
Speaker 5: We have Dix who used to work for the Cowboys. She's down there.
Speaker 4: I've got Jenna Lane, Sarah Walsh, and I've sort of been touching base with them, and I brought up some of the comments that he skinnier, there's something definitely off.
Speaker 5: What are you hearing, Kelsey?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So, actually I had a conversation with my girlfriends this morning. Carmen by Kelly was Fox Sports and she actually was the beat writer reporter for the team for several years. She's super tight with a lot of those guys, especially on the O Line, and she was telling me, She's like, listen, they definitely are acknowledging some things off, but absolutely no one is concerned. She was like, she literally talked to Todd Bowles herself, and he was like, the man's been in the league for how many years, He's won how many Super Bowls? And he's been to how many more? If he needs eleven days off for a personal reason, like, I'm going to give it to him. So at least they're portrayed that they're not concerned. The one thing that I did love, though, is that when she was talking to the O line, because again, we've made a lot of emphasis on this this week, and I think rightfully so, but she told me that they literally said we can go be aggressive and we can actually be way more competent in our roles because we trust that if something starts to fall apart and we slip up, like he's going to get away and he'll be fine. Like that's they I feel like he really is the epitomy of a quarterback that makes the team around him better. And despite what is very obviously going on with Tom whatever it may be, people are just chalking it up to, like, hey, he needs a minute, we still one hundred percent feel good about this weekend. We have a lot of confidence in this game and we're not worried. So that's really one of the big things that I've heard, Like Tampa Bay feels pretty good about this weekend.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I just think it's interesting to even hear his tone of voice, right, Like we didn't see video and I was watching video. He just he kind of looked, he kind of paused, half smirked and was like, Eh, anyway.
Speaker 3: It just feels like he, especially.
Speaker 4: In the press conferences, he'd rather be anywhere but there. Yeah, and there used to be sort of a joy about everything that went into football with him, right, Like even his Instagram feels forced like he's clearly got these ads that he has to roll out for his very businesses, and even they feel forced right now.
Speaker 5: Again, maybe I'm reading into it.
Speaker 4: It's just I've covered Tom and you know, when he's obviously played in Tampa, I covered thirty one other teams besides the Cowboys, and it just feels a little different. And you know, at full strength last year, the Cowboys are really I mean I was at the game. It was a watter, guys, the way the Cowboys went out and played that one. They were considered huge underdogs. No one knew, knew what to expect from obviously Dak Prescott coming out from the injury, and they almost had that game, and they almost did.
Speaker 3: You know, Tod both actually went on.
Speaker 9: I was listening to his presser this morning as well, and he talked about what was the biggest takeaway from last year's game, and he said that this year they need to work on not having eleven penalties and four turnovers for this game like they did last year. So I thought that was really interesting too, because I don't think anybody expected the Cowboys to play like they did. I don't think we knew what to expect from Dak going into that game. First and foremost, he was coming off of the injury. We had no idea what we were going to see, and the fact that they almost came away with the win was huge.
Speaker 4: And you know what, the Cowboys played a fairly error free game. And when you look at the penalties, let's see they were.
Speaker 7: Their biggest penalties came on the drive where they needed to go score and they had it was right before they gave the ball back to Tom Brady. They had the opportunity to go score. They had two holds.
Speaker 5: They had eight penalties for fifty five yards.
Speaker 4: When you look at the Bucks, they had eleven penalties for one hundred and six yards in this game. That's the other thing we haven't really addressed this week is the importance of the Cowboys playing fairly disciplined football because it's the penalties that get them in trouble, especially in the preseason.
Speaker 5: So thanks Jessin.
Speaker 4: So that's something that they've really got to keep an eye on. And one of the knocks I think on Mike McCarthy and the staff is how disciplined are these guys within the context of the game. And I think when you look at this offensive line in the youth and some of the inexperience.
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna I think it's gonna be an issue.
Speaker 7: Well, and that's why I think that going into we haven't really talked about penalties. I mean, the importance of special teams in this game, I think changes things.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy if you go back and start.
Speaker 7: Looking at how many times the guyways would score on drives but they were going seventy eighty yards. Not having a returner is such played such a role. And I think this offense's lack of success and in spaces and with hoping to get we're hoping to get you know, returns and some some good field position from Turpin.
Speaker 5: Does Cavante take one of the house ladies?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 7: I'm telling me I could see them. I could see first play of the game last year. They came out big play with a Mario Cooper just right out the gate, deep into deeping your end zone. I think Turpin is that we need a big play right now.
Speaker 9: And actually, yeah, with that, I'm looking at some of the game notes here. With a kickoff return for a touchdown, Cavante Turpin would be the first player in team history to return a kickoff for a touchdown in the season opener, So I would like to see that happen for him.
Speaker 4: I I just think I don't have a ton of tape on him, Like if it's gonna happen, I think it's gonna happen earlier in the season.
Speaker 7: And also the Bucks have a rookie punter, so that is something to look at because they do have to.
Speaker 5: You would if you would.
Speaker 7: Expect for them to be trying to plan to try to kick away from him. But what if you now listen, I know TP is everybody wants them to be, you know, RB one, But what if you don't give them a choice but to give it to one of their best guys or they have to kick it that he has to be booting that thing and getting a touch back. It's gonna be a lot of pressure for kickers. If Cavante Turpin comes out and starts showing what he can do, he's already put it on display, but let.
Speaker 1: Him rip something in the season. Listen, this is gonna be touch People are gonna be terrified.
Speaker 10: Yea, I actually think that like secle teams, So I think I'm glad you guys brought that up. Major for us because again and penalties, we haven't talked a lot about that. This team has struggled mightily. I think they led the league last year in penalties. I mean it's like we're winning all the wrong awards, right, and so this year they started off and it didn't look amazing. So hopefully they can really lock that down. But another guy who Jane, I know you've covered on multiple teams, who I think is going to have to make an impact this weekend is Brett Maher. I mean, this has been an issue for this team for a minute. I like to joke a lot about it on Twitter. It's become a little bit of my shtick. But genuinely, that has to be locked down this game because, especially when you're playing a Tom Brady, there might be chances where as much as we don't want it, you do have to settle for this field goal because their defense is showing up like you might have to, and you got to know if you can get those points on the board, because again, when you're facing a quarterback on the other side, as good as our defense is, you'll know anytime you give him, even if it is limited, he's going to maximize it. So every point counts this upcoming weekend, every point well.
Speaker 5: And I love that, you know, listening to him.
Speaker 4: All it took was him going to New Orleans and learning a few things, and he's changed.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 5: What is it? What is it?
Speaker 4: They say that even in dating, it's like don't show me, tell or don't tell me show me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where I'm out with.
Speaker 9: Your words, match your action, But another person that's prove it, show me.
Speaker 1: This is a this is a show me year.
Speaker 9: And just as a reminder, the Cowboys had one hundred and twenty seven penalties last season for that cost them one one hundred and three total yards.
Speaker 3: That's within one season.
Speaker 9: So just the reminder there that if if that's not a wake up call for every single person within the Cowboys, Hey, first thing I want to see addressed is that I don't want to see penalties. I want to see a penalty free game. That's you know, that's that's a concern.
Speaker 10: There's only one word for that, and I thought i'd have to it literally can't happen, And especially when you have guys in this team that are that are rookies and that are newer. Again, whenever we talk to Duke me any Weather. He always talks about fundamentals right and going back to the basics, like you don't have to have the longest arms or have to be the biggest guy. You play to your strengths, but you have to play a clean game that is going to be paramount. Again, like I said it earlier, this team has to check almost every box field to show up against Stanta Bay.
Speaker 4: Well, when we come back on the other side of the break, I do want to ask each one of you what you're most confident in and least confident in as we head into this game against the Bucks on Sunday.
Speaker 5: But before I let.
Speaker 4: You go, the Boys, The Boys, The Girls, Talk Boys Talk Show is sponsored by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Sweet did you get to work on time?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But I just realized it's Sunday.
Speaker 12: Little sweets his head on home. Doctor Pepper is on his way, So.
Speaker 11: Maybe the nothing better.
Speaker 8: I'm good.
Speaker 11: You've probably done something that deserves done. You investionistic in FT.
Speaker 5: And I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 1: It's a non fungible token.
Speaker 4: Something that deserves a.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details. Brace yourself for an existential question. Has your butt been having enough fun lately? Have you been treating it well? Has it been going places? If not, then it's about time you start using seat Geek. Seat geek is it's the best way to get your butt tickets to live events. Just ask the thousands of other butts who have rated it the number one ticketing app. So what are you waiting for? Download the app now or visit SeatGeek dot com to get tickets to sports, concerts and live events and make your butt happy. Seat Geek get your seat in a seat.
Speaker 12: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller lite and Tim Gallon hats while yelling, how about them cowboys? You call it Miller Time in Dallas. Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer. It's Miller Time. Celebrate responsibly. Twenty twenty one, Miller Brewing Company, Fort Orth, Texas.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls, Talk of Boys Talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm Jane Slater, joined by Issham Morrison, jes never Is now Bears.
Speaker 16: And Key Charles, who is joining us from Austin. It's Friday, all right, guys, heading it is Friday. It's it's like a like a long week, and not a long week because it's been a short week.
Speaker 5: And we're back into the grind.
Speaker 4: I've got basically a nineteen hour day on Sunday to look forward to.
Speaker 1: With the NFL.
Speaker 3: Exactly learned this week's listen.
Speaker 4: I could have told Zak that I'm a pro when it comes to I pack literally a pair of flip flops when I go to the stadium because it is such a long day and there's so much walking.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 5: But before we went into.
Speaker 4: The break, I asked you, guys, what are you most confident in and least confident? I want you guys to sort of stew on that, marinate that, marinate on that. As we headed into the break, I shall start with you, what are you most confident heading into this game and least confident in?
Speaker 7: I'm most confident in whatever defensive game plan that dan Quinn has. It's I I am most confident in what a adjustments he's gonna make because I think that that's something I saw him do pretty well last year, is second half adjustments with the defense. So I have faith that he will be able to adjust to there not being a whole bunch of tape on the books at the beginning.
Speaker 1: It's the beginning of the season, you know, not knowing what to expect. What I don't have faith in.
Speaker 5: I suppose.
Speaker 3: Play it on us.
Speaker 1: That's hard.
Speaker 5: What do I not have faith in?
Speaker 1: Time?
Speaker 10: I mean, if you need help, I could give.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tells you like I'm ready to let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, throw it out there because I'm struggling.
Speaker 10: I mean, honestly, I'm with you this defense. I'm I'm really excited for them. And again, it's touch a breath of fresh air because it feels like I remember the days of literally bringing in guys off the street where you're like rotating the bottom twarth of the barrel and getting guys who own smoothie shops right who are are starting on plugging them in on your on your starting line. So I go from that to where we are now and talk to us, to folks in the building, I mean, they were like, listen, you're gonna have to watch this defense. They're going to be good, and everyone knows they're going to be good, but I don't think y'all realize how good they're going to be. So I really hope that does come to fruition. So yeah, I'm with you on that. Mike A. Parson specifically, I mean, if he was that dynamic in his first year, I really genuinely believe he can only grow up from here. So I'm excited to see his growth. But I will tell you, I know that everyone wants me to buy into this O line. I know that Tyler Smith has potential. I know that Dak Martin can be that better in presence, and I have trust in Dak, but I don't feel confident about the time, their space that they're going to give him. I don't feel confident about the pocket not collapsing on him. And honestly, think about it, such a traumatic injury that he's gone through. How can you possibly one hundred percent mentally overcome that and not? You know, maybe I don't know, makes sense.
Speaker 5: A little tightness in that way. I ankle this weed. I think that that's going to play in.
Speaker 10: I do too. So That's where I'm at, and I just I'm sorry, Like I hate to be the deadly downer, but like back when my head's.
Speaker 9: At Yeah, I think I'm most confident in the amount of pressure that the defense is going to be able to put on Tom Brady. And again, I think anybody who's not confident in the defense at this point just isn't paying attention. I think they are not paying enough attention to the Cowboys, or they're not Cowboys fans or in this area right. So I think the amount of pressure specifically that they are going to be able to put on Tom Brady in general, but early in the game, and we've talked about this all week, how key it is to get that done early established that that's what we're doing, and you know, let the dominoes fall where they may at that point, whether it be interceptions and sacks and all of that that come with that.
Speaker 3: I'm very confident in.
Speaker 9: The amount of pressure that you know, you have Micah Parsons, you have your d laws that can really lay on Tom Brady early on. I think something I'm not confident in. We just spoke about it. That's the penalties. How can I not have trust issues with the Cowboys with a hundred in twenty seven penalties in one season, and you know, I know preseason, we don't. We didn't see any of the starters at all preseason. However, we still saw a good amount of penalties in preseason. So that added to my trust issues with the Cowboys. So now I am a little set back and hoping that those penalties aren't going to cost us a game, because I think they have before. I think if they don't, if they allow this to continue, they will this season. And I really hope the discipline side of things with those penalties are corrected and I understand we're playing with rookies.
Speaker 3: That's why I am so nervous about.
Speaker 9: It, is because we're playing with new guys here who are inevitably going to get some of those penalties because they're new, it is their first season, it's their first regular season game. But I think the penalties is what I have the most confidence in going.
Speaker 3: Forward, because the most.
Speaker 9: I have the confidence that we're going to see it, and unfortunately, I you're not You're not not right. I'm just trying to be honest with y'all. I don't want I don't want to see Cowboys fans on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Oh we're seeing penalties again? Are we surprised? Are we shut?
Speaker 9: Oh? My goodness, I trust me. I don't want to see them. But do I think it's inevitable, especially for this first game.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 9: And I think this is the team, the Bucks or the team you cannot have the penalties with because that is going to cost you the game last two minutes. With Tom Brady being Tom Brady, that that if it was If it was not Tom Brady, I wouldn't be so worried about it. But he always finds a way to come back and again we know how I feel about the amount of trauma Tom Brady has inflicted on me as a Cowboys fan, growing up with a very heavy, heavy following Cowboys family that cusses, screams at the TV anytime that happens.
Speaker 10: I don't want to like Major fool me once, shame on me. Same on you believe twice, same on right now.
Speaker 3: Like Major, I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer here either, Kells, but the penalties working me overall.
Speaker 1: What do you think and day?
Speaker 4: I think the receiver that I'm most confident is Dalton Schultz. I think it's a big prove it year for him. I think he's frustrated he didn't get the long term deal on whether it's here with Dallas or whether it's somewhere else. I think he wants to show his ability to go out and garner the type of contract that he didn't get.
Speaker 5: So I think we've already seen that connection.
Speaker 4: There was a reason why they franchise tagged him is because he was a bit of a security blanket for the Cowboys, and I anticipate that he's going to have a big game on Sunday, So that's who I have the most confident. The person I have the least confidence and is Kellen Moore and his ability to stick to the run. I think that they're going to struggle with the run early and then I think they're going to move away from it.
Speaker 5: Again the way that they did last year.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 4: Like I said, we've already gone through the stats with the you know, the loaded box and what they typically show them defensively. But I just they keep telling me they've got all these plays in the book for Tony Pollard and Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 5: Again, don't tell me.
Speaker 4: Show me I have the least and their commitment to their run and sticking with the run if it starts to if they start feeling challenged early in the game.
Speaker 9: And that's something we've seen over and over again, even just on the outside. I think when you see that the run's not working and when they can't find that hole, then Dak gets heavily into the pass game. You're going to see long targets to people like Dalton Schultz, to of the CDs.
Speaker 3: You know, last season we saw it a lot to Amari, But.
Speaker 5: I don't Knowah Brown could have a big game here on this one.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I definitely think that talking about the run game, if you're going to attack Tampa, we want to the want to you want to avoid Vidavea and the middle of that Hicks. You want to avoid the middle of that defense. It sounds like attacking the edges and going at their edges to me, is going to be their your best, your best you know chance and the Cowboys the very few times they did against the Bucks last year, TP was able to capture that edge. So I'm one of the things that you're talking about, Jane, is the run schemes. How are they running the ball?
Speaker 1: Are we doing quick outs, bubble screens?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? What are you what do you how?
Speaker 7: How are they designing the runs? Because if you're designing runs just straight up the middle, just trying to do power on power, that's not gonna work with with the middle of this defense, go with their edges, make their make their secondary come up and have to tackle. Try to get those linebackers out your way and try to get to the second level. It's easier sat A's said than done. But Jake Ferguson, who Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 14: You're too tight and set Mike McCarthy's ki of Jake Ferguson and what they expected of him coming out the draft and what he's shown, especially as a blocker.
Speaker 7: Now, so those yeah, the Titans don't have to come play, they don't have to get off blocks and catch some boss.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you mentioned to bea because he also did a press conference this morning, and uh, it was It was funny because they asked him, well, what has changed from the defense this year to this year from last and he said nothing, nothing's changed, and and then the reporter goes, well, what about this guy and this guy and this guy, And he's like, yeah, sir, I mean.
Speaker 3: What should But he's he's confident and he knows.
Speaker 9: And so somebody he also spoke about a lot was Zack Martin and how key Zack Martin is for the O line, you know. So he talked very highly of him, saying that a player that doesn't have that, you know, those amount of penalties and is a it's a good challenge for him to go against, and it's a good challenge for the defense overall to play somebody like that because.
Speaker 1: They didn't play. He didn't play last year exactly.
Speaker 4: No, And I loved the fun fact that Mike McCarthy threw out this week. He said he was told walking into one of the press conferences that Zach Martin has more Pro Bowls than he has penalties.
Speaker 5: And that's what you love to see.
Speaker 4: And that's actually kind of crazy, what you consider how long he's played, that he has more Pro Bowls than penalties. All right, we are getting ready to wrap the show up. One of my favorite segments is past interference.
Speaker 5: Got you give me a nugget?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 9: So, because we are almost into game day, I wanted to make this a little positive for Cowboys nation that's listening. So I just wanted to throw it way back to the first time these two teams actually met. Dallas hosted Tampa Bay on October second, nineteen seventy seven and one, twenty three to seven, and this was in front of fifty five, three hundred and sixteen fans. Here's a throwback Texas Stadium. They started this with a six game win streak against the Bucks that would last until nineteen ninety. So let's hope this is the first of our six game win streak. And by way of course, I mean the Cowboys let's hope this is the Cowboys six game win streak against the Bucks.
Speaker 3: We're gonna start it, We're gonna see it, and right.
Speaker 5: Now then we're going to be Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: Right now, Tom Brady as a dubious one of six and zero against the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: All right, give me a tweet of the day that you loved.
Speaker 1: All right, so tweet. This is a tweet from yesterday. This is from the Mina Chimes. She said, pretty unfair.
Speaker 7: The Bills have a QB who's an actual Buffalo. I'm not, like, what does that have to do with the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: And I'll tell you.
Speaker 7: Watching Josh Allen stretch that ball across that goal line yesterday just made me think, like, man, my QB used to do stuff like that. Myke QB used to flip over guys going into the end zone my kids.
Speaker 5: Because he was young and he wasn't a franchise guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is and this is something we've talked about.
Speaker 7: I am a firm believer that a lot of back's running ability is why he is the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. And I understand that the injury happened. This is a year removed you give grace when a player is recovering from something that traumatic. I understand the coaching staff pulling back, telling him to be careful and then the calf all that stuff.
Speaker 1: But seeing Josh Allen navigate.
Speaker 7: Knowing when to use his legs and make defenses pay is something that Dak had the ability to do and I think he still has the ability to do. But you could tell last year that defense is new. They knew he was not going to take it. And I want him to come out this game and see opportunity.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, you out with good things.
Speaker 5: This smart.
Speaker 7: I want him to take those opportunities, just like Josh Allen, because eventually someone's good, they're gonna have to respect it. There's respect that comes on the other side of the ball. There's an honor of Okay, this guy has the legs to move. And I just felt like on film last year people were daring, daring us too. Okay, dare me this year, get it done, get it done, Dak mc them pay, make them pay.
Speaker 1: We see stiff arms too. I'm ready, like I understand where Yeah, Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: That was such a great game and it got me so excited for football this weekend.
Speaker 5: It was exciting to do this show with you guys this weekend.
Speaker 4: For those of you that have continued to tune in each day as our following has continued to grow, thank you for that.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you.
Speaker 4: And on Monday, of course, we will break down this game and hopefully we were talking about a Cowboys ubbie.
Speaker 3: Let's go, Let's go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.