Speaker 1: There's a lot of talk about mindfulness these days, which is fantastic. I mean, we all want to be more present and self aware, more patient, less judgmental. We discuss all these themes on the podcast, but it's hard to actually be mindful in your day to day life. That's where Calm comes in. I've been working with Calm for a few years now with the goal of making mindfulness fun and easy. Calm has all sorts of content to help you build positive habits, shift yourself, talk, reframe your negative thoughts, and generally feel better in your daily life. So many incredible options from the most knowledgeable experts in the world, along with renowned meditation teachers. You can also check out my seven minute daily series to help you live more mindfully each and every day. Right now, listeners of On Purpose get forty percent off a subscription to Calmpremium at Calm dot com Forward slash j that's Calm dot com Forward slash Jay for forty percent off. Calm your Mind, Change your Life.
Speaker 2: How do I negotiate a better salary? Bosses there, listen and I said, ask him this question. Chris Vons, retired FBI Special Agent for what Lead International kidnapping negotiators, but author have never split the difference. We don't really see the great negotiators as great negotiators. One of the greatest negotiators got to be Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 1: What are women doing wrong or what can they do better? In negotiation?
Speaker 2: You're out of order on the sequence?
Speaker 1: Can you negotiate with a narcissist?
Speaker 2: Of course, you can negotiate with the narcissists. One of the things we advise people to do.
Speaker 1: Is weird throw to announce that we've reached three million subscribers. We're incredibly grateful for each and every one of you. If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to hit that subscribe button so you never miss out on any of our new releases. We're dedicated to bringing you the content you love. Our team carefully analyzes what resonates most with you to bring on board the best experts and storytellers to help you improve your life. Some of your favorite topics are sleep, science, weight loss, physical fitness, navigating breakups, habit building, and understanding toxic relationships. Upcoming episodes include one of the biggest names in health and science world, renowned relationship therapist, and your favorite manifestation expert is back to drop new findings. Hit Subscribe to not miss any of these episodes. If you think of someone who would love this episode, send it to them to make their day.
Speaker 2: The number one health and wellness podcast.
Speaker 1: Jay Sety, Jay Sheety Yet. Hey, everyone, welcome back to On Purpose. I'm so glad that you're back because I love sitting down with incredible minds, thinkers, thought leaders who are helping us develop better skills, better habits, and better mindsets. Today's guest is a former lead FBI negotiator and dynamic speaker who debunks the biggest myths of negotiation. Chris Voss engages all groups with captivating stories, insights, and useful tips for business and everyday life. Chris is lectured on negotiation at business schools and across the country and has been seen on ABC, CBS, CNN, and Fox News. He's also been featured in Forbes, Time, Fast Company, and Inc. And Chris's book, Never Split the Difference has sold over two million copies. And It's all about negotiating as if your life depends on it. If you're in a space in your life where you need to get better at dealing with conflict, negotiate better, and make sure that you win in one of those situations. This episode is for you. Please welcome to On Purpose, Chris Vos. Chris, it's great to have you in studio.
Speaker 2: Jay, thank you very much. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you so much for being here. As I said, I find your work fascinating because I don't think it's every day that you get to learn about negotiation from someone who's done it in the most high stakes, highly critical, difficult environments. And I wanted to ask you why did you come a lead negotiate to that.
Speaker 2: It's almost a cliche, but it's a little bit of following your bliss and then every now and then, I think the universe jumps in and makes you change the directions. And originally I was on a swap team. I was scheduled to be on a SWAT team with the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. I was on a SWAT team when I joined the FBI and I reinjured my knee. And I love crisis response because I think a comfortable in action is one of the banes of human existence. We got to make decisions. And so when I was on a SWAT team crisis response, you got to make a decision. You know, they can't. Let's let's sit back and wait and see what happens. That's not really the way you approach a crisis. So when I was on the SWAT team, you know, we had hostage negotiators. They went along with the SWAT guys. I didn't really know what they did. You know, we'd be out there in the cold, in the rain. They'd be inside someplace warm. But I wanted to stay in crisis response, so I thought, yeah, you know I could do that. How hard could it be? It's my son and I Brandon. I've always joked that the Voice family model is how hard can it be be, which is similar to a redneck's famous last words, which are, hey watch this. It's always going to be more complicated than you expect. But I got into it and I loved it. It was more satisfying than SWAT ever was. And SWATT was great, but hostage negotiation, when I stumbled over at the Universe, sort of pushed me in that direction. It was a push that I needed, and I've enjoyed it ever since.
Speaker 1: And you never felt scared. There wasn't the fear. There wasn't the difficult in your mind before you got involved, that this could be something that would be extremely difficult, potentially painful, challenging.
Speaker 2: No, because first of all, I was rejected for the negotiation team. I was in fact eminently unqualified. But I went to the head of the program in New York, a woman running the team, and she said, you know, yeah, you're not qualified, go away. And I said, all right, So there's got to be something I could do. What is it? She said, go volunteer on a suicide hotline. I'm like, all right. So I went to the suicide hotline to learn, not to help people, helping people with secondary it's good secondary, but I went there to learn, and I was fascinated by it. And so then I'm teachable. I'm coachable. I learned their process and I saw how quickly empathy emotional intelligence accelerated outcomes, positive outcomes, And so I wasn't scared as a hostage negotiator because I'd already learned in a process that I believed in. I knew it was a highly successful process. So when I started hostage negotiation, I just leaned into a process that I had was familiar with and had been proven to me.
Speaker 1: Worked walk us through what a conversation on a suicide hotline sounds like, because I imagine that being highly stressful. You're dealing with someone who's in a high state of panic. There's so much uncertainty. Walk us through what that kind of a conversation looks like and what you learned.
Speaker 2: Well, THEE used to it very closely supervised, so I think I was a little unsteady at the beginning. So for whatever reason I naturally lapsed into what I refer to as the late night FM DJ voice, and the first call I just said, hello, this is helpline Now. That has a tremendously calming effect on people. And afterwards the supervisors said your voice was great, that was great. You started out great, and I remember thinking like, wow, I don't even know what I did. I'm have to go back to it. So you want to start with a calming, soothing voice, and then no matter what they say, you want to put a label in a hostage negotiation. We called it emotion labeling. In that Black Swan method, we just call it labeling. Put a label on emotion that you're hearing. Doesn't matter what it is just label it now. Since they're in crisis, the emotion is probably going to be negative. And in point of fact, we're all driven by negative thoughts. We're seventy five percent negative our survival mechanism that we wake up with every day to survive. The caveman had to be negative. The optimistic caveman said, you know, yeah, you know, Chris walked in here yesterday and he never came out. But I'm optimistic. I'm gonna go in today too. And that guy got eaten too. But the negative guys shot away, and we've inherited that wiring. And I remember one night in particular, this guy's really frantic, sounded sounded super fantic, says you know, I just I need to put it. I need your help putting a lid on this day. I got to put a lid on this day. So I just said, you sounds frantic, and immediately came down. There's a neuroscience reason for that, now that you know. We never knew then. It's just simply calling out a negative emotion is the most effective way to deactivate it. So he came down, and then to the course of the conversation, I just used three labels he was. He was a guy who was paranoid. He's getting a lot of support from his family, he said, you know, I'm going on a car tripped tomorrow. I just you know, I just you know, and I know my family's helping me, and I just you know, I just I need my family's help. But I'm worried about it tonight and I can't get to sleep. So I hit him with a label that somebody had once hit me with. In a conversation, I was telling my friend how close I felt to my family, but I didn't say it explicitly. It was strongly implied. And my friend said to me, it sounds like your family's really close. And I remember how good it felt in that moment, and I've never forgotten that. So is this guy's describing to me how much support he was getting from his family, how they were always there for him. It sounded like they're close. So I said that exact line. I said, it sounds like your family's really close. And I felt his strength come back in his voice immediately. So then he went on to tell me about how he'd been battling paranoia and how hard he was working, and he struck me as determined. So I simply said sound determined, and he said, yeah, just like that, Yeah, I am determined. I'm gonna go on a car trip tomorrow and be fine. Thanks for everything you did, hung up the phone. That's not every conversation, but that's the way they're supposed to go. You know, you call out what you're hearing, and it really helps people sort of self level because you're great sounding board and you're picking out the negatives and deactivating them and the positives and reinforcing them just by observing them.
Speaker 1: The reason why I find that so fascinating is because I was thinking, so many of us deal with our friends.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: In that sort of an environment, you may get a phone call from a friend who's like panicking, they've just ended a relationship, they've gone through a rejection of failure, whatever it may be, and our got instinct is to try and solve that problem and to fix it for them and fill in the blanks, when actually what you're saying is the ability to just notice what they're experiencing, what they're feeling, and being able to call it out and label it, as you rightly said, that's actually giving them the tools to make sense of it for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and it's restoring their tools. And then it's also they feel very self empowered. The problem with giving advice is the person receiving it doesn't feel empowered. They might not be able to sort through it emotionally, and so then when you're not there, they're lost again. They didn't feel like they got to the answer on their own. A great sounding board simply helps his guide helps them get to the answer on their own, and then inside they say, what wait, I got here on my own once, I could do it again. Whereas if you give me the advice when you're not around, I might be lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's a famous quote that says something like good leaders make you believe in them. Great leaders make you believe in you. And this idea that if someone's really leading the conversation, well, the person's walking away with self belief, yes, and the confidence and what they have. Before we dive into the actual tools and breaking down of a negotiation, I find that most people try to avoid a negotiation because they see it as conflict. They see it as an argument, they see it as a potential debate, and most of us are trying to avoid conflict at all costs. And so even if it's like your plumber and they quote you a price, we're scared of negotiating because we're scared of that turning into an altercation. Or if someone's trying to sell us something at a store, when we're scared to have that conversation about a discount or whatever it may be. Walk us through that fear. What have you noticed about Where does that fear come from that we all carry of. I don't want to get into a conflict. I don't want to negotiate. I'll just go with what you want because it's easier to be a people pleaser.
Speaker 2: Myself and my team we believe even we've got enough anecdotal data that the world splits up evenly into three types fight flight, make friends, A sort of analyst, a comminator. And we've seen this show up globally. It's disconnected from gender, ethnicity, religion. So two out of three don't like conflict, the analyst and the accommodator. Analysts thinks of life very much like chests. Lots of moves, lots of percentages, and analysts want to think everything through, all the possibilities and then put percentages on it, and conflict is one option, and it tends to be highly destructive, highly inefficient, and so the analyst doesn't particularly like conflict because it seems to be very inefficient and ineffective, and they are far more better ways to communicate, So they're avoiding conflict for that reason. The relationship on in person the accommodator, conflict is just ugly. It makes them feel bad. It sort of pollutes their existence, and they see that as a much higher cost. It places a very high value on relationships optimism, being very hope based. So they're going to avoid it for those reasons that. You know, they want to feel connected to you, and conflict doesn't make them feel connected to you. Now, the third type, the assertive. You know, they love it. They say it's combat. They love it, They get into it, they recover from the conflict very quickly. I happen to be a natural born assertive. Donald Trump is a poster child for assertives. It's just one of the three times and love combat. But then don't really pay attention to the long term costs of being openly aggressive because the you know, the adrenaline hit in the moment a victory tends to overshadow how the losses pile up, So we want you know, two or three, we want to avoid that. So the real challenge, though, is we got to collaborate. But negotiation has this feeling to it that it's the loudest, most agreat a voice in the room, the guy who kicks the chair across the room to get his points, screams, slams their hands on a table, storms out. You know, this thing that actually happens a tendency to pollute the collaborative environment. And we don't really see the great negotiators as great negotiators. You know, in my view, one of the greatest negotiators got to be Oprah Winfrey. Nobody sees her as conflict oriented, that her list of great negotiations, her life's achievements based on collaboration and being very positive. And then if you were to try to consider the context of our life having gained tremendous success in an environment filled with maybe some of the most volatile people on earth, Hollywood celebrities. What Hollywood celebrities mad at Oprah? You know what rock fight has she gotten into? You know, who's thrown shade like it is not there simultaneously her financial success and the different phenomenal interviews she's gotten. They were no no holds Bard's interview. You know, you know one of my favorites is Lance armstrong interview. I happen to be acquainted with Lance. I like them a lot. But there was no punches pulled there. That was a negotiation going into that. So spectacular negotiation is really invisible, but we don't know that. Because it's invisible. We don't think of Oprah as a great negotiator. Warren Buffett, we don't think of him as a great negotiator, and they have to be. So that's we're just not aware of what great negotiation really looks like because it looks like great collaboration, great navigation. As soon as you could change the definition from win lose to great collaboration, now people are interested. You know, how to fine negotiation is great collaboration, long relationship where we're both ecstatic about our success. And if you can reframe it like that, then people are a lot more interested in negotiation. I think that's one of the reasons the book has succeeded, because it's not a series of stories where we beat anybody. Sometimes we had to force collaboration with a highly competitive negotiator. That was what kidnapping was about. I'm going to force the kidnapper to collaborate. I'm going to force that guy from al Qaeda into a collaborative conversation. But I'm not going to hit back.
Speaker 1: Walk me through how you force that person into collaboration and not hit back, because I think you're right. I think the overarching belief we have is, oh, we got to beat them. We've got to find a way to get what we want from them. Like that's what you think of a negotiation, even in normal times, let alone those high stakes. But how do you do that in that scenario?
Speaker 2: One of my favorite conversations describing this a number of years ago. I got to hire it to train hostage negotiation team in the Middle East, and the country that I was in very pro western country, a Muslim, you know, ostensibly a Muslim country, but really tolerant of all religions as most of them are. So get brought in to talk to the shik that's the head of kind of terrorism and I'm told in advance, Uh, the shak if we have if al Kinda comes here and grabs people, or if any terrorist organization comes here and grabs people. Understand the shak wants to kill him, that people of his country are his children, and he wants to protect his children at all courts. So you sit down with the Sheik, he's going to want to know how you're gonna protect his people. So I get a meeting with this guy, brilliant, brilliant young man, brilliant. And he looks at me and he says, all right, what are you going to teach my guys to say? And I looked at him and I said, they're gonna say to the Terra's kidnapper on the other end of the phone, what you're doing is a great thing. And his mouth fell open, and I said, now I got you, because you can't wait to hear what I'm going to say next. You were so caught off guard, you were in complete curiosity mode. You're hanging on every syllable that comes out of my mouth. And that's what I'm going to teach you guys to do. And he went, oh, you're hired. But so what is driving the other side in their mind? How do they see what they're doing, What do they see as a justification for it? Like so much conflict, the go away if I can simply recognize what you see as the reason for your problem without agreeing with it. Probably about two years ago, myself and a friend Nicole Benham were hosting a room Monk clubhouse. At the time, you know, the Israel Palestine. It was the water done version of what's going on with Hamas now. Israeli started shelling the Gaza strip because Amas in fact is hiding weapons in hospitals and schools in the press office, and Israel gets tired of it after a while they starts shelling those offices. So it's a milder version of what's going on right now. But the vitriol going on online was huge, and the cole calls me up, she says, you know, we got to find a way to help sell this out. I said, all right, well, we'll do a room on clubhouse and we'll invite people favoring the Palestinians and people favoring the Israelis on and they can talk it out. With one rule, one caveat. Before you say whatever you have to say about what you think of the other side, you got to summarize where they think they're coming from, what their point of view is and as soon as you get it all clear from them, as soon as the other side effectively says that's right, that's how I see it, you could say whatever you want. Now. Did we come to any agreements that night? No? But what was more important was there were no arguments. Soon as somebody tries to articulate how the other side sees things, it actually makes you smarter. I want sort of guy, say, empathy is a species of reason. You know, you're analyzing where are the other side's coming from? And an attempting to genuinely analyze it. You start deactivating their reasons for the escalation, because there are reasons for the escalations. Is at least they don't feel heard. Let me take that one off the table. You don't feel heard. Now we can be in a position where we could actually talk about this. So I'm interviewing. I get this. This thing on fire side is social media app what it is is largely I have guessed in it's life. Q and A bring a woman on head of a coffee company and she says, I use your Israel palestinianthing to negotiate a resolution between two my top executives. They're at each other's throats, and I love them both and I can't lose either one. So remember what we did on you did on Israel Palestine. And I brought them in a room and I said, okay, you could say whatever you want about the other side, but first you got to summarize their position. You got to summarize how they see things and what is motivating them. And she said two things. She said, we resolved it on the spot, and she said it was such a moment that I still cry when I think about it. So, you know, what's all this rambling about. Take a shot at summarizing how the other side sees things. If it doesn't solve the problem on the spot, it at a minimum brings you closer together, and we're all better off closer together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's such a powerful skill. Whether it's in a marriage, whether it's in a friendship, whether it's in the corporate setting. It's such a need. And I find like, as life has got faster and faster and faster, we have less and less time to summarize, and so what we end up doing is we just end up reading someone else's summary. Right, That's what we're doing online on social media is we're reading someone else's summary and analysis of a highly complex situation, and more often than not, we're reading the summary that supports our viewpoint right, not the viewpoint of the other. And so now we have less time we're reading someone else's words, which means we're not even doing the complex computation of trying to understand and comprehend what someone's going through. Hey, you're just catching me as I have my midday pick me up. I'm sure you've heard about JUNI rather and I put all of our love into creating this amazing drink. It's full of new tropics and adaptogens, great for that little breast of energy and hans focus and a happy mind. And guess what, It's only five calories and absolutely no sugar. I hope you're going to try it out. It's available right now at Target if you're a Target shop, I head there right now, and at Sprouts as well this summer. Go grab your Juny. How do you encourage people in this busy, fast pace. You know, we're trying to be efficient environment to actually slow down and embody these skills that actually require us to use our brains.
Speaker 2: Most of the time. You got to walk somebody through something and coach them into applying it because we don't see it around us. Is the first problem is we're not seeing anybody do this effectively exactly. That's a great point here, So we get we got no models for it. You know, all we got is models for instigators. The professional agitators. Professional agitators are everywhere. They're not a majority, but the there's enough of the agitators out there, they get tend to get a lot more of attraction.
Speaker 1: How would you define a professional agitative just for people to I totally agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's it's those in the media that are clickbait oriented, agitation oriented. It's highly profitable short term. You know, you're you're getting advertising dollars based on how many views, how many clicks you're getting, and it's so overwhelming, and we're so tired of it. The other thing, we're so tired of it. You know. One of the things that I'm most fascinated with right now is you know the hot tool girl Like. People are so tired of negativity that anything that's like positive and fun and refreshing and catches them off guard. I checked their Instagram today, she got like two million followers with thirty six posts and she's been there for fifteen minutes. But I think it's we have such an appetite for something that's not negative and not designed to be agitating, and a very small number of agitators can turn a peaceful demonstration into a raging mob, and so then they get clicks over that, And most of our media is guilty of that. You know, nobody's got neither the left nor the right has a monopoly on agitation. So Fox is guilty of it, CNN is guilty of it, and they get short term profits, they get a lot of clicks, they get a lot of views. So I think we're not we're not seeing the summaries, we're not seeing the demonstration of understanding. But in reality it accelerates us to a positive outcome by probably about a rate of about fourteen times faster. And it's invisible. It's astonishing, and so since it was invisible, we didn't really see it when it happened. One of the guys on my team, Derek Gaunt, wrote a book called About Leadership. Applying tactical empathy to leadership is called the ego authority Failure. He's got a great stat at the very beginning of it, where rapport based interviews in law enforcement gets you to an agreement slash confession fourteen times faster than anything else, but nobody knows it happened. So then to get good at it, you're never going to get congratulated in the moment. That's the other thing. It's in the moment. It's not that satisfying very much, the way the slot machines are satisfying in Vegas. You know, you lose eighty three at eighty four times on those slot machines, but the winds are so satisfying that's all you notice. So to be really good at this, you focus more on how suddenly we're in a better place, and nobody's congratulating you because they didn't see it happened. So it really has to be intrinsically self satisfying. The reward is getting it done faster and better. Very few people are going to congratulate you on it in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the only mindset shift we need, is that if we want a real resolution, we want to feel like we've really accomplished thing, we're really moving forward. It requires us to move from that point of view of if we negotiate effectively, If I take time to summarize the other person's opinion and they take the time to do mine, we're actually going to get somewhere, even if it's a slower process, even if it's a harder process. How do you prepare for a negotiation? Because I think a lot of us also think great, I'm going to walk in there, I'm going to try to figure it out. I'm going to say something, But walk us through how you'd prepare for some of the biggest negotiations in your life. What do they look like?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna I'm going to think of how I would summarize their perspective. That's going to that's going to get really get my wheels turn, and I'm going to get a lot of clues. How do they see things. I've done it enough that it's almost become second nature. You got to do it a lot. Like anything else, it simply requires practice. There's this magic hack for life called gratitude. It's amazing what a difference it could make, and it sounds stupid. I was once in a highly adversarial negotiation. The other side was it wasn an adversary the other side was very deceptive, which is one of my buttons. You know, I don't like deception. One of my main currencies is integrity, so that's a violation of one of my core values. But thinking that put me in a very negative place, and I thought, well, how do I get into this in the first place. The only reason they're trying so hard to do this deal with us is because we're good. It was a training company that wanted to make our training offering part of their platform. So I thought, this is a byproduct this success. I'm actually lucky to even be having this conversation. So you know, I found gratitude in a moment, and then it opened up my mind because you're thirty one percent positive, smarter in a positive frame of mind. So you know, whatever your hack is, and different people have different waysitude, exercise, first thing in the morning, meditation, whatever you could do to clear out your natural negative survival mechanism so that you can be more appreciative of life. And that's one of the ways. And then if I think about that, then I can summarize your perspective. And another thing that I'll usually do is I'll think of the questions that I might normally ask to elicity yes, and I'll switch them so that I'm alictiting a no, do you agree becomes do you disagree? There's a Pavlovian response to yes and no. People if they say yes, they feel like they're being led into a trap. Whether they are or not, it doesn't change the fact that is a general term. Somebody's trying to trap you. Who's gonna litter that path with yeses?
Speaker 1: So when you say something that does not make sense and they say yes, that's moving in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: Well it's it's going to trigger that Pavlovian response. Because the person that cheated him said something to the effect of would you like something for free? Would you like to make more money? Would you like to live in a big house on a hill? And that led him into a trap previously. So it doesn't matter that you were you have integrity, it doesn't matter that you are not doing it. It got done to them enough times already, they're going to have a negative reaction. The ridiculous flip side is the Pavlovian response to saying no is that people feel predicted. They feel safe when they say no. Would you like no? When my son was a teenager, Dad, can I know? But then I'm looking back on I realized every time I said no, I felt all right. So I walled myself off from being walked into anything here, and I would look back at him say, okay, so now what was it that you wanted? Now I could hear more. Haven't protected myself. So I may say to you, you know, look, does this sound like a stupid idea? And then you won't have been triggered, and you'll listen to me. You'll actually to some degree listening with a critical mindset, and you'll think, well, you know, I don't have any problem with that, but your follow on is actually what's important. Now. I don't think it's a stupid idea, but I think here are some things that I want you to think about. You'll give me those freely. Now we're in an actual collaboration. So your original prep at question, how do I prep for negotiation? I'm gonna try to do what I can't. Put myself in a positive frame of mind, work at summarizing the other side's perspective. Think of a couple questions where the answers know where it moves things forward, as opposed to the yes and I've avoided that psychological feeling of the other side feeling I'm trapping them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are the things to do. What are some of the biggest mistakes you've seen people make walking in preparing for a negotiation.
Speaker 2: Well, the inadvertent thing to start off with is, you know, number one, they're gonna they're gonna ask you yes, I'm any question, and then number two, they're gonna make their pitch the value proposition. You know, you know, I got to tell you what's valuable here. Now that's important, but you're out of order on the sequence because the other side's dying to have their say too. If you go first, you kind of rolled over. Well, the whole time you're going, they're thinking, but I got something I want to say, I got something I want to say. It's a voice in the back of their head which is interfering in them listening to you. So I'm gonna start out by trying to hear you out first. I'm gonna want the information from you. I'm gonna want your perspective. I'm also gonna want to know what you think is important going into this conversation. Let's say we're collaborating to do a deal, or you and I are significant others and we want to go with something to eat. I'm going to want to know what's on your mind first, because that's your a priority for you. Then I'm going to know on my list what matches up with what you want instead of maybe I start out with something that's number one on my list, but it's number nine on yours. Now you're distracted by the other eight things that you think are important. I'm going to try to dial into you as quickly as I can because I want to talk about what you think is important because that starts our collaboration. So really understanding where the other side is coming from is information you need for the analyst and for the relationship oriented person. Make sure the person feel good so you're building a relationship.
Speaker 1: Have you had I'm sure in your experience you've been speaking to such incoherent individuals on the other side that there isn't a one to nine on their list. There's like a a right like it's topsy turvy because they're not coming at it from a logical rational. A lot of the people sometimes when we're negotiating, we feel like what are you talking about? Like what language are you speaking in and we can feel that even with our partners. People can feel that at work where it's just like I'm talking to a toxic individual who has no idea what they want. They're so off the rocker. Like you know, when you're speaking to someone on the other side who you actually can't figure out, and you're feeling like, I can't even read this person, how do you navigate that?
Speaker 2: Well, I liberate myself from the idea of rationality or logic. I really see those two things as beauty. Beauty is in the air of the beholder, and so when I let go of that, and then I think in terms of patterns and then other than someone who's actually paranoid, schizophrenic, whether wiring is actually wrong, and someone who's offering from or Layman's terms wiring issues versus chemical issues what we used to refer to as manic, depressive or bipolar. You know, they change those terms all the time. Those are principally chemical imbalances, paranoids, gizophrenic. If somebody's actually hearing voices, it's a problem, but you don't know what the voices are saying. That those people are in fact unpredictable. They manifest themselves very rarely in hostage negotiation. We also found out that unfortunately, one of the downsides of being a meth addict. Someone could be clean for years, but meth amphetamines does actual damage to the wiring and they'll have an episode when they've been sober for years that mimics of paranoids gizophrenic. So the people that are actually messed up in that fashion are very rare. Mostly it's chemical imbalance. And if you look at it like that, and then you say, all right, so the patterns here. Let me look for the patterns, and then they're evidently predictable if you let go of the judgment that it's rational or irrational and you just start looking for patterns and then listening for them. Now, they could be so upset with negative emotions that they are in a state of confusion, very much like the guy they called in on a hotline that night. So I'm just I'm gonna sort of pick off the negativity one at a time, and I'm gonna feed it back, and I know that's going to clear your head. In a business scenario or even a personal scenario, people who feel under a tremendous amount of pressure, tend to be very demanding and can be very attacking, which feels predatory. It even feels like, you know, the magic phrase gas lighting, when in fact they're under a massive amount of pressure. A company that I just did some training for coaching and training. They're based out of the Middle East, but their executives are international in nature, and they happen to be in a discussion in a deal in South Africa and the person on the other side of the table they called a bully, very attacking, not sticking to the written agreement. So of course they're in the negotiation. The lawyer's on the table side that I'm coaching. What's the lawyer going to do. It's going to open his laptop. He's going to read you the agreement, which does not help. It's a great way to pour gasoline on a fire. Let me remind you of what our agreement says, thinking that would help. So the guy. Now, the guy gets worse and he starts adding profanity and telling him that he's going to rewrite the agreement. They keep their poise, and when you're being attacked that much, if you don't come up with a great thing to say, the most graceful. The smartest move is the witcherw quietly. So the lead said, it's probably not a good time for this discussion. We'll be happy to leave. Guy settles down a little bit. They hit him with a couple of labels. They get to a good place in a conversation, but then on the way out, he says to the guy, sounds like you're under a lot of pressure. And a guy completely relaxed, he says, oh man, he says, you don't understand what's going on over here. I've got all these demands, I got people coming at me from all sides. And the recognition of the pressure that this sounds like you're under a lot of pressure for someone he perceived as an attacking, gas lighting bully, the guy's being driven by an internal pressure that he was having trouble keeping control over. And that changed everything. That off fan label and it turned everything around.
Speaker 1: Can you negotiate with a narcissist.
Speaker 2: If you look for the patterns and then you know the narcissists of demanding So short answer is yes, But how are you going to do it? You got to make what you want the path to where they want to get. Ultimately, narcisists are self centered, so let them be self centered or whatever it is that they're after. Make your want a step on the journey to their goal. And if you can change the sequencing around, that's how you can get the upper hand on a narcissist.
Speaker 1: One of the.
Speaker 2: Of course, you can negotiate with a narcissist if you've been trained by the Black Swan group Chris Voss. Yeah, we'll train you, we'll teach you.
Speaker 1: It's whether you want to or not. It's whether you want to negotiate with a narcissist in your life.
Speaker 2: Well, and actually that's a great secondary point because this is going to be repetitive behavior. One of the things we advise people to do is terminate the relationship. You know, are they dragging you down? You can do a couple of things to try to The psychologists of therapists would call a boundary setting. Sometimes you set a good hard boundary and the other side says, oh, I respect that they're looking for you to set gently, not aggressively. They're looking for that boundary. Set a couple of boundaries gently, politely but firmly, and find out if they're going to straighten up. Then you can continue the relationship, you make an attempt to sent the boundaries a couple of gentle attempts. They don't pay any attention to it, whether it's personal or professional. That's a preview the future. You don't need to be. You don't need to be attached to that. You're not going to be who God puts you here to be by being attached to people that drag you down. And I think a lot of us do that for good intention, very good reason, and we're not required to continue once, you know, be willing to be smarter today than you were yesterday.
Speaker 1: Do we ignore the patons? Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: I think we do. I think a lot of us do for again, for different reasons. The relationship pointed people the accommodators, they're very hope based and they have this tremendous faith and hope, so to speak. And there's a lot of feedback in that. You know, I think the world is largely a very supportive place. If the world wasn't largely on our side, we wouldn't have continued as a species. We'd be dead, we'd go on extinct. You know, we're not the most durable. You know, we don't. We don't have, uh, you know, a fair fight with most of the predators on a planet, which is what God gave us, we'd lose most of the time. So that means that I'm a firm believer that the world is largely very supposed supportive and on our side. So that reinforces the accommodators because the numbers are on their side. They're just not real good in the anywhere from ten to thirty percent of the people that are that are that are situations that are harmful, So we have reason for sticking in there and then allowing wisdom to get as smarter as we go, then we eliminate more and more of the people that are dragging ustaff.
Speaker 1: If you feel like you're one of those people that people always take advantage of, I can imagine a lot of people that are listening may feel like they've been an accommodated but now they've started to feel like people always take advantage of me. I feel used. I feel like I'm the one who's always getting the short end of the stick. Like, how do you shift that pattern for your life? Because you've now made people believe that that's who you are, and all of a sudden Now you want to change who you are? How do you go about that transition and shift and help the way so that you no longer feel that everyone's taking advantage of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the healthy way to start with is first to recognition is that you're not really helping them. You know, if they're taking an advantage of you, you're effectively a crutch. And nobody becomes their best self by leaning on a crutch. So not only you're not helping yourself, you're not really helping them to do the best for them is to let them get out there and fend on their own, you know, let them deal with it. They need, they need to deal with reality. You're not helping them by letting them lean on you. All right, So let's say you're willing to accept that. Now, how do you how do you get out of it? And again, I'm going to refer it to one of my negotiation heroes, Oprah Winfrey. I'm in a discussion with one of her top executives, and I was telling this executive, Yeah, our philosophy is the last impression is the lasting and pression, so always end positively, no matter what, but end, And she said, yeah, that's exactly Oprah's philosophy, and she says, in the entertainment industry, it's usually in an alemo out a taxi. With Oprah, it's in an alemo out almo. No matter what, at the end of any relationship, we have to make people remind them that we love them and that we value them, and then we have to effectively we might need to part company. And I'm having a conversation, confrontational confrontation. Oprah Winfrey has taking people to the woodshed, but she does it in such a positive way and a way that she underscores to them that they feel valued, that they're okay with it. In this conversation, she finishes by saying, like, whatever you do is your decision, and I want you to know that if you decide not to participate in this interview, I will always love you, I will always be supportive of you, I will always have your back. And so that was her way of saying, it's my way of the highway, and if you choose the highway, I'm still on your side, but we are going to part company at this point in time. And finding a way to gently say enough, should you ever change your mind, I'm here for you, and then what's wrong?
Speaker 1: And that's it always feels hard to do that because somewhay deep down inside of us, we don't want it to be the end of the road. We don't want to We want to be hopeful. We want to save, we want to caum the date, we want to mold, we want to become whatever the other person needs us to be. Yeah, we keep doing that, We keep shape shifting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The desire to take yourself and them to a higher existence, to a higher level of being, to you know, to to make the unique and amazing dent in the universe that each one of us is capable of doing. And we love bringing that out on other people. It's very they think.
Speaker 1: I'm sure when people meet you they feel like they can learn from you how to control a situation. But you don't strike me as someone who believes that is the way it ever goes that that's what you're trying to teach. But I can imagine people come up to you, and companies come up to and be like Chris, basically show us how to control this in our favor.
Speaker 2: Some do yeah, yeah again, about a third you know, the assertives love control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you reframe someone who comes with that controlling mindset, who thinks that you can control. I've had I've had coaching clients, so I don't coach in what you do, but I've even had clients like Jay, teach me the right thing to say? Like you always feel like you know the right thing to say? Can you teach me how to say that to someone in my life so that they do what I want? And I'm like, wait a minute, that's That's not how it's going.
Speaker 2: To go right exactly all right. So the secret to gaining the upper hand in the negotiation is given the other side the illusion to control, and then people will say like, oh, that's better than control, So that may be one of the things that cracks them open. Another thing is control is highly inefficient time wise. Like let's say I could control you completely, I gonna be with you all the time to do that. You know, I could control maybe one person. I can positively influence a lot of people if I give up the need for control, because I'm gonna need you to be self directed. I'm gonna need you to be able to think for yourself. There's gonna be a point in time when we're not together. If I'm not there to control you, you're gonna fall apart. But if I collaborate with you, if I empower you when I'm not there, you're gonna think for yourself. As a phrase, batteries included, so to speak, which has been passed on to me by some very smart people. Any people who are batteries included, we all need partners that are batteries included. We're aligned on core values and we get more because I don't have time to control everybody. So when you start understanding the costs of control, then you start thinking like, yeah, you know, there's got to be a better way. And it's guidance. It's helping people think, it's making them feel empowered to find the right outcome.
Speaker 1: You talk about mirroring as being a really good technique in trying to get to that collaborative same page space. How do you do that in an authentic, genuine way. Is negotiation ever genuine and authentic or is it always three steps ahead? Three moves ahead?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, great question. The negotiation skills and tools are neutral. So intention has a smell. Am I trying to collaborate with you? Am I trying to take advantage of you a scalpel, and one person's hands saves a life. In another person's hands, it takes a life. So first of all, look at effectively negotiation skills. Which emotional intelligence is effective negotiation, Tactical empathy is effective negotiation. What's your intention? Like, my intention is for us to have a great, long term relationship, highly profitable through the infinity. And if somebody's arguing with me, I'll say, like, look all right, so I would love for this moment to be something that we look back on ten years from now, This argument we look back on on ten years from now as to the moment we discovered collaboration and made both of us prosper for ten years. That's also changing somebody's frame from short term to long term to what's my intention? And my intention is long term collaboration. Like there's some sales methodologies that say your money's in their pocket, it's your job to get it out. That's not longtime collaboration. And you're gonna sense that, Like, no matter how charming I am in a moment, no matter how much fun I am to be with, no matter how much I make you laugh, you're gonna notice the diminishment of your pocket before long. And this is coming to an end. So if my attention is dead, is for this to be great, for us to have a ball, for this to be this adventure that we both benefit from. Now you're gonna even if you say, oh, that was a label. I heard that before, or you just used a mirror on me. You know you asked me about mirrors. That was a mirror, then you're not gonna mind, because I'm trying to take you to a better place.
Speaker 1: Let's take a scenario like, let's say someone's negotiating for a promotion or a higher salary. Let's go down that road and act out what that would look like.
Speaker 2: So I'm doing a training for a company probably about two three years ago, got the CEO and all those top salespeople on a zoom call. We get to Q and A, and one of them says, how do I negotiate a better salary? Bosses said listening, and I said, ask him this question, how can I be guaranteed to be involved in projects that are critical to the strategic future of this organization? And he interrupts immediately, and I says, I wish everybody here had ask me that question. So the job negotiation is really about our future collaboratively now, as much as you'd love for it to be about what your contribution up to now has been. Your contribution up to now, your boss is going to see that you're even Here's what I asked you to do, is what I agreed to pay you for doing it. Here we are you did it, I paid you even. That's how your boss is gonna say it. Your boss worried about the future, worried about his own future, her own future, worried about the organization's future. If you shift to how do I make everybody successful? But not just in our routine stuff and the most important stuff here, you show them two things. You're a team player. You're going to put the team first. And you want the high profile stuff. You want to play in a championship. Your goal is to win a championship. My goal isn't to win a scoring title. My goal is to win a team championship. Now, suddenly it's about the future, a prosperous future. Like what I mentioned before, we're now negotiating a prosperous future together that changes everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I mean just hearing you say that, I was like the amount of times in my head I'm thinking as a leader, like I want people to focus on business critical activities, Like I want people to report to me on things that are like actually critical to impact and having an effect and moving the needle as opposed to, Yeah, we're doing the you know, we're doing the little stuff. Everyone needs to do it. But as a leader, you want your team to be focused on and moving towards those bigger things. Yeah, And it's hard because me included when I was an employee too. It's you want to be rewarded for your effort. You just want to be rewarded for your energy and showing up and all of these things. But that isn't how reward generally works, at least in the workplace.
Speaker 2: Well at the maximum reward, you know, some some reward works that way. Yeah, much, that is very valuable, you know, can you follow directions? Okay, My girlfriend Wendy, members of her family, they got this. They got this great camp up state New York, wonderful place, wor up there visiting at the end of the season. Every year they bring family up and they get together and so they kind of they see me as maybe this you know, this white collar guy, you know, who never got his hands thirty, hadn't been outside, which is is not my background. But they're seeing me an FBI agent. You know, he probably in white collar. You know, you never got thirty. So we're getting ready to get out of there, and a gentleman runs it, very generous guy. He says, you know, you're welcome back anytime. And so I say, you know, I'd come to work for you any day because I like to be useful, and he goes, really, come to work for me, Huh, what do you know how to do? And I looked at him and I said, follow directions and he went, whoa, whoa, whoa. We need more people like that. So there's a lot to be said for following directions, you know, the the mundane routine stuff that needs to get done. You'll do well if you're great at following directions, but you're not going to make as much as you could make to have the maximum impact on an organization, as you said, the business critical activities, because also you as a leader, you're having trouble keeping track of all the business critical activities. You need the team seeing stuff that's coming at you, you know, from your six that you don't see rolling up on you, and you're going to want people on the team to understand the day to day and a business critical. So when that media comes screaming in and you don't see it coming, they catch it for you. And so that's what really takes people to the next level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think one of the things I find is that as a leader, like I enjoy rewarding people who are performing phenomenally. Like it's exciting for me to see someone who's performing phenomenally and they're developing themselves and I can see that they're proactive and resourceful and they're growth oriented, and as a leader, I get excited to be like, oh, what can we build together? Like that's my mindset. But I had a friend recently who went through a scenario where he had gone up to his boss and said, I want to work on really important things of the company. I want to be associated with the biggest results we have. He was told to work on these projects, he went and got those results, they promised him a promotion, and then two to three months later they went kind of quiet on it, and then they said, oh, no, we actually don't have it anymore. He's now been at this company for two years and he hasn't received a promotion, He hasn't received a direction on this is where it's going. He's getting in some of the biggest results of the company, but he's now not seeing any career growth there and he's thinking of leaving. Right, he should leave, Yeah, but I think his boss is thinking, oh, this guy's going to hang around. So in that scenario where you're like, wait a minute, I'm hitting it. I was promised something, it didn't happen. Now I don't how to negotiate that. I don't know how to have that conversation. How do you navigate that?
Speaker 2: Okay, there's two things. First of all, yeah, it's going to happen. One method tactical empathy, emotional intelligence, space negotiation doesn't work all the time, just works more than anything else does, which means there has to be an acceptance of occasionally it'll fail. Hostage negotiators got a ninety three percent success rate. People are not going to make the deal we call seven percenters. They're going to happen. So you move on now. Before if somebody's promised you something and they failed on their promise, that you earned this is all also an indicator of a company that's got culture problems, they got leadership problems, they got management problems. A long time ago, I heard the stat forty percent of the fortune five hundred is going to be gone in ten years. Those kinds of problems are going the way of the Dodo. They're going extinct. So your time there is coming to an end, whether you like it or not. They're going to go out of business, they're going to get sold. They're going to think of a stupid reason for firing you. Except that that timeframe now has its limits. If someone has failed to keep a promise that they should have kept, so that acceptance is am I going to go someplace? Elf? Start looking for someplace else because you've just added to your resume. You've made yourself more employable with these accomplishments for somebody who's dying to employ you, who's going to keep their word, They're going to keep their core values. If they lie to you, if they fail to keep a promise with you, that's the way they do business, they are going out of business. There is a problem. You've just been alerted to the problem. Now, short term interim how you potentially try to write to the ship before you get out no oriented question again, I'd sit down with the boss. I'd say, I'm sure that I seem very selfish and that I seem ignorant of the pressures that you're under and unappreciative of them. Do you want us to fail? No? Right? So? No, no, no no. Why what are you talking about? If you make it impossible for me to stay? How am I supposed to stay? How am I supposed to stay? If you've made promises to me, I've fulfilled my end of the bargain, and you're showing me that I was wasting my time. You know, it's a way of letting people see reality before you can be assertive. And this is being assertive, not aggressive, but assertive. You got to be empathic, should demonstrate some understanding where they're coming from. Ask the no oriented question, which is a way to trigger decision making in a non threatening way and let them know what the reality is. Reality. The situation is you can't count on a leader that doesn't keep their promises to you. You want to get to that moment with the conversation. You got to get there gently. How do you get there gently? Demonstrating and appreciation and an understanding of the other side's point of view. Give them a chance, give one clear chance to make things right. Let them know the reality of the situation is. You can't stay in a job where they're not going to keep their promises, even if you want to keep that job. How you do anything is how you do everything. They're breaking promises to you, they're breaking promises to everybody else. You're going to be tainted by their reputation and you're going to be taken down when as the Titanic hit an iceberg, that ship's getting ready to hit an iceberg and it's going to sink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that resonates, and that kind of like a when you've been hard done by. That approach feels like you're having to turn up the dial on. You're starting off empathetic, but then there is a turn up on like, well, this is the reality. Here's the reality, is the real of the situation. And I think that's a really powerful approach. So, Chris, of course you're aware of the agender pay gap, women paid less. What are women doing wrong or what can they do better in negotiation? What needs to change? Of course there's a systemic issue, but individually, individually.
Speaker 2: So I would answer this is if the woman asking that question was my daughter and she was asking me about a relationship and she said, Dad, I'm in a relationship with a guy who's beating me. How do I get them to treat me better? And my answer is get out of that relationship, all right. So paying any talent less than what they're worth is a bad core value, a bad culture value. And you're working someplace that's going to go out of business, So this relationship is coming to an end. My advice, my guidance, is the same as it would be for any other job negotiation. Talk about how you're going to make the best contribution possible. Find out what it takes to be successful there, express that you want to be paid in a playing a big game. So what you're doing, if you're working in a place is going to pay you less because of your gender. You're patting your resume. There's somebody out that wants talent, and they don't care anything about your gender, they don't care anything about your demographics. They want talent. You're in a relationship, You're in a bad relationship. And because it's a bad value to pay talent less then it's coming to an end one way or the other, just the same way as it's a boyfriend who's if he's not physically abusive, he's at least verbally abusive. That's coming to an end. Prepare yourself to move on. There are people that want talent, and in my company, I don't care, I want talent. We're not the only ones that are out there. There are a lot of companies that are taking advantage of women. The sooner you leave them, the better off everybody is. Find the company that values your contribute and moved to it.
Speaker 1: Nice advice. Great, tell us about some of your seven percent experiences that you said the ninety three percent in the seven percent. Tell us about have you some of your personal experiences have been in the seven percent when it's not working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're actually far more common than I ever imagined would be in a business world like that. When when I wrote Never Split the Difference with Tall Raz and my son Brandon Voss, tremendous contributor to the book, it never occurred to me that there would be a lot of negotiations where the other side had no intention of consummating a deal. And we call that now proof of life. Is there a deal and is to deal with you? Maybe there's a deal, it just ain't with you. Maybe they're just kicking the tires. Maybe they're just looking for free consulting. And I started to wake up to that and this is what falls into this category seven percenterg somebody's never going to make the deal. Right after I got out, started talking about negotiating and a gentleman who wrote a book I think, I think it it was bare knuckle bargaining, and he's talking about this thing in business called the rabbit, where you're the rabbit. You just said to drive the price down on the people that are really going to get the deal. And I remember at the time thinking like, no, that's that's I'm a time as money guy. That's a tremendous waste of time. Why would I ever engage in a negotiation with someone if I wasn't going to make the deal. I thought it was something from a Vince Vaughan movie, you know. I thought that's too stupid. And so we started discussing it with sales teams and one guy says, oh, yeah, that's in a Challenger sale. It's in that book. It's twenty percent twenty percent of the time. It's not seven percent of the time, it's twenty percent of the time. And in the book they did, they basically take a survey of a thousand executives and basically say how often do you engauge in a negotiation where you're never going to make the deal with the other side for whatever reason, You're just not going to give them the deal? And a business executive is admitted to twenty percent, which means that number's got to be low because they ask people how often do you lie? And they're not going to exaggerate how often they lie, They're going to underestimate. And so we started implementing the methodology on a regular basis. We see it all the time. Some of it is a due diligence issue. The Black Swan Group, we have a reputation deserved for teaching a business negotiation methodology that is more successful than anything else. Why would a company talk to us, Well, they've got an education provider they're going to stick with. So what they want to do is they want to get all the free consulting possible out of us so that we get this all the time. Tell us you know, tell us how you do what you do. You know, give us some insight. You know, how can we hire you if we don't know how you're going to do it. That's a tell of somebody who's pumping us for information. They're going to want us to get you. If you just tell us everything, then we'll hire you. Not only if you tell us everything what we hire you, we'll refer you to people that will hire you. Know, they paint this vision of riches, you know. I call it being taken hostage to the future prosperity that never materializes. We kind of cooperated a little bit in the early days, but now we just we get back to this saying like, all right, so I'm gonna see what's important to you and if you're really focused on one specific aspect. If I sense that you're not focused on a long term relationship, you're a seven percent. And then what am I gonna do? I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go all Oprah Winfrey on you. I'm gonna say some really positive, very true things. We'd love to be the negotiation provider for you that gives your company prosperity that you've never seen before. And when you're willing to make a commitment to us. Come back, We'll make a commitment to you. Yeah, and they usually go. Usually hear crickets on the other end of the line, and that's the end of the conversation.
Speaker 1: So, Chris, as a follow up to that, I'm sure that for years you've had calls where a company will call you and say to you, Chris, we actually want that, but we wanted our half the price. And I'm imagining that a lot of people who are listening right now, whether they're entrepreneurs, whether they have a side hustle, whether they do a bit of design work here and there, they've had that call as well, where a client calls, they want this client, they're excited by it. And I want you to tell us the difference between the first time a fortune five hundred company reached out and now when you're established, because that obviously changes as well. Walk us through how do you negotiate or how do you deal with you really wanting to work with this client, but they're like, we want fifty percent off, Like that's what that's our budget, that's our max.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, it's simply it's accepting that working with them and half price is a bad idea. And it's not good for the health of the business long term. And then as soon as we accepted that, then realizing that the less time we spent with people that want half price, they're actually obstructing the people that want to pay full price. You know, a good friend of mine a phrase that we use, Joe Polish. He's got to phrase their half clients and their elf clients. Half is hard, annoying, lame and frustrating. Elf is easily lucrative and fun. So in our in our early days, especially the.
Speaker 1: Two again, that was a brilliant hard.
Speaker 2: Annoying, lame, and frustrating halfs the ELF's easy, lucrative and fun.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: And Joe says, don't work with the halves, work with the elves. And I heard this, and and so if you're in the early days, if you're working for me, you figure that I want you to make every deal. And I get with my sales team and I say, all right, So the halves are going to have predictable behavior once we start looking for it. It's going to jump out at us and we'll be able to see it in the first half hour of the conversation. Now, now they're very good at this and that, of course was the truth. And then I said, we're going to walk away politely from them early on. I don't want you to wasting a lot of time. So the young lady that's running my sales team at the time, and you know, comment on gender if I may. We find out women pick this style of negotiating up faster than men. At the top level of performance. We see no difference. It's gender agnostic. I believe that the women are conditioned at an early age to be aware of soft skills and they have a little bit of a head start, and that's why they have a tendency to pick it up faster than men. So women running the team, she wants to make every deal. So before she starts walking away from the halves, she starts pulling data. You know, you want your sales team to start looking for data. How long is it going to take to make the deal? How long is it going to take to implement the deal? What's our profitability? Consequently, she gets back to me a couple weeks later, she says, here's what we found. Number one, it takes us two to five times the amount of time from the initial conversation to the end of performance with a half two to five times as much time. So let's say it only takes twice as long. That means we've automatically taken a fifty percent cut and pay, maybe on top of the discount they wanted, on top of everything else. She said. Then consequently, it doesn't really matter whether or not we want to do business with them again. They don't want to do business with us us again so they don't repeat. So these people that are demanding discounts, you're taking a fifty percent cut and pay at least, and the business is not going to repeat. So you're taking a discount theoretically for a long term relationship, and you're not getting it. They're not appreciative of the fact that they got a discount. They want to take advantage of everybody. They're going to look for somebody else to victimize after they get done with you, and they are standing in the way of the people that want to do business with us. It's very dark in the early days of an entrepreneur, the concept of walking away from customers. It's horrifying. I got to make the rent, I got bills. Now you want me to walk away from these people? Well, it's going to take you twice as long to get paid, so they're not going to help you pay the rent now, and they're going to be slow payers even if you agree on a deal then afterwards getting money out of them. You're not a loan business. So there's all these problems. And then as soon as we stop dealing with the have we found that the elves started showing up. You know, there's this invisible line of people waiting to do business with you, and the people that are going to take up the most time in a line stop the people that take the least amount of time. That's a scary thought for anybody entrepreneur to accept, and it's a leap of faith. And if you start looking around, you'll see entrepreneur after entrepreneur experiencing it. Kind of is a law of the entrepreneur universe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I think that's such great advice and it's so refreshing to hear that, because I think everyone feels that way, where it just like, I have to do this. This is going to be our big winner, it's going to be our big ticket. But it always ends up going the opposite way when they're being a huff and It's such great advice because it could save you so much stress, save you so much pressure, and you're going to feel like you did a great job, you only got paid half. You might feel bitter. You're now resentful they didn't renew. It turns into a whole bigger emotional thing as well.
Speaker 2: It was awed money.
Speaker 1: Yeah when it doesn't need to. Yeah, Yeah, I want to shift away from work to relationships because I feel like so much of what you say applies to marriage, It applies to dating, it applies to you know, everyday interpersonal relationships and friendship. We touched on her a bit at the beginning, but I wanted to talk about this idea that I think a lot of the time we actually get an easy negotiation in the beginning, what it feels like, right, and then things start to get more constrained. So I have a friend who she met this guy and he promised her the world and he was like, yeah, it's going to be amazing, and I love you and you're amazing, and this is incredible, and it almost feels like you've just won the lottery. Right, It's like you're getting everything in this negotiation. He gives you time, he gives you energy, date, nights are amazing, Everything's great, and then six months in he starts to pull back and go, no, I need to focus on this now. No I can't call you every day. No I can't now. Not that any of those things are even unreasonable, they're actually reasonable things, right, But it's just that it's so different from what you thought you signed up for. What do you do as a negotiation in that setting when you were promised more or someone over delivered in the beginning and now they're under delivering.
Speaker 2: That's a real aspect of human nature, and so it's at some point in time there needs to be polite withdrawal, you know, polite boundary setting. I think I think both people have you know, I don't know. I hate to say that any gender is more guilty than the other. Yeah, same, but I think that that men probably have a tendency to start adding to the neglect first. And then how how do you get advice? Like? How do we how do we sustain this? How do you want me to feel about where we are now versus where we were? How? Questions? How? And what questions are remarkably powerful questions. We refer to them as calibrated question. The word what is primarily designed to uncover problems. The word how is primarily designed to create answers, so you can say what got us off track? Because you're off track now. It also feels very deferential, you know, how and what makes the other side feel in charge. People love to be asked how and what. The real issue of both those questions is not what the answers are. The thinking you made them engage in the answer is secondary. At some point in time, I can say what do you want from me? That's going to force you to see that there appears to be a disconnect between the two of us. It doesn't matter what you say. That's a secondary benefit, But the primary benefit is that I asked a question in the first place. You know, at the very beginning of the book, one of the more famous black Swan phrases is how am I supposed to do that? And I saw that as the first way to say no, you know, to telegraph to the other side that there's a problem coming. And then my son Brandon points out it's forced empathy. If I say how am I supposed to do that? To you? You're forced to look at me and take stock of the position that I'm in. Your response to that is going to tell me exactly how much you care about that. That's a game changing phrase, and I realize now it's about implementation. I'm saying to you, like, look where we are, it's impossible for me to continue. How am I supposed to do that? Like eight out of ten times, that immediately changes the complexion of the conversation. It's so ridiculously effective that in the two out of ten times it doesn't work, people are just like, how am I supposed to do that? And it backfired? It failed on me. They looked at me and said, I don't care how you do it, You just got to do it. And my answer to them is, no, it didn't fail. It gave you an answer you weren't expecting. If it's an implementation question, how am I supposed to continue in this relationship? If you know you never talked to me, how am I supposed to continue? At the beginning, we had these amazing We had date nights, we had quality time together, we were into each other, and they seemed to have gone away. How am I supposed to maintain my relationship with you? Under these different set of circumstances? You know that's not refusing to maintain it. What you're saying, what they hear. But what they hear is I'm about out of here, and it's a great warning. And so either they're going to change, they're going to wake up because there's some inadvertent human nature there, or they're going to be indifferent to your question. If they're indifferent, that's just given you a preview of a slowly descending future. Now you got a hard decision to make. Be grateful for the time, be willing to be smarter today than you were yesterday, and ultimately your default has got to be your own happiness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And how do we do that in a way that we keep our personal emotions separate from those questions, because I think sometimes you can ask those questions, but they're emotionally loaded. They're like things used to be amazing before, like you know, now you don't do anything, and they turn into not questions, they turn into demand else, yeah, or they turn into things that sound complaining, like oh, things were amazing before, like how do you expect me to And it sounds like a complaint as opposed to a question, which is what you're positioning it as. And I think that's because our emotion gets so close to the question, how do you keep your emotion separate and go Actually, I need to negotiate effectively to get to where I want to get to, rather than sound like I'm complaining and now that person is only hearing the energy of the complaint as opposed to the explanation of what you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Well, the two possibilities are, can you talk it through with a friend who's neutral, who's not going to give you advice. You need a sounding board. You don't need advice. You know what the answers are in point of fact, so the advice is a waste of time. One of the great things I realized why I was effective on a suicide hotline. In many cases, I'm just a sounding board. I'm letting somebody say stuff out loud instead of having a bang around in their head, which is either confusing or it makes sense in a bad way, or you say stuff out loud and you get a better grip on it. So a friend who's a great sound board, and you could even say in advance, look, I'm not looking for advice. I'm just looking for a sounding board. I want to talk this stuff out I want to hear what I'm thinking. That's one potential option. You got friends that always want to give advice anyway, so there's a little bit of a negotiation up front with that friend, or maybe certain friends are good for being sounding boards and others aren't. Then, in a moment like what happens if you didn't have the time to prepare, you catch yourself in a moment, which is similar to any negotiation. Suddenly you caught yourself in the middle, but your gut instinct is going to kick in. The mistake everybody makes is they want to deny the dynamic instead of observing it. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. I don't want to sound like a whining, complaining, typical wining, complaining female. Instead say I'm probably gonna sound like a typical, whining, complaining female or whatever side of that argument that you're in argument, interaction, negotiation. If you simply call it out an advance, then the other side gets braced for it and they deal with it. They don't get to you know, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining and any other person is saying, yeah, but you're gonna go ahead and complain. If you say I'm gonna sound like I'm complaining, that's that two millimeters shift. The other person will listen and then say, well, those are actually some legitimate points.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a combination of the two things, each of which take practice. Like nobody automatically diffuses stuff in advance. Nobody automatically does if you got to the point where you're denying it, you're actually a little bit further down the line. You're aware of the dynamic. So now I'll just shift from denying to recognizing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I was asked to give a keynote to one of my corporate clients a couple of months back, and when they were briefing me, they did a great job. They were like, Jay, this audience we feel is just on the cusp, ready for your message. So they said, usually they're used to dealing with much more hard hitting speakers who are going to like pump them up and motivate them, but we want them to move into this softer emotional intelligence, meditation, peace space. And they said that they're probably going to have their backs up a bit when you walk in, because they'd expect someone who's you know, going to come in a bit more, but we really want you to be the person who takes them in this direction. So I was like, I really appreciate that briefing because it was good for me to have that. So I walk in to this conference and I can tell what the person told me on the phone is immediately the truth I get announced. I walk out on stage. There's a few claps, but it's not the warmest reception I've ever had in my life. And I called it out. It was exactly what you said. I said, Look, I know you all think that meditation is woo woo. I said, I know you all think that you know stillness and peace and all this stuff is a bit intangible and it's a bit random. But I promise you everything I'm going to share with you today is highly practical, tactical, and you're going to be able to implement it. And all of a sudden, I could see people change and what I was saying was true. I'm very tactical about meditation and I'm very practical about philosophy. But the assumption people had was, oh, well, you know, we just want someone to motivate us. And it was amazing, Like that felt like one of the biggest wins that. I mean, the presentation went off on a beautiful arc. I felt such a great rapport with the audience. And it's exactly what you just said. It was recognizing and again going back to your earlier point, summarizing what their point of view was and recognizing that that was okay. It's not that they were wrong. It's not that they were flawed or that they weren't smart enough. It wasn't condescending. It was genuine that they had certain beliefs about meditation and philosophy that could be true, but that I wasn't presenting it that way, right. So I love that, And it was probably one of my favorite speaking experiences because it felt like such a challenge to have to turn it around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then then it's highly satisfying retrospect, right. Yeah, and you did it with them invisibly, like they didn't know what happened. Yeah, it just happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It was really special when someone's in a relationship and they're like, I want to I want to get my partner to do more personal growth. I want to get my partner to maybe it'll be open up to therapy. I want to get my you know, and I hear this a lot. I'm sure you hear it too, But I hear a lot of people tell me I want my partner too, right, they want their partner to become something or do something. How do you negotiate that and how should that person change their mindset in order to make it a healthier thing than a demand.
Speaker 2: The real fundamental issue is is this a right relationship? Like, is this behavior that's consistent with the things that you value and the things that they value. That's the first issue of my company gets coached on EOS. Jonathan Smith is or US coach, and I remember the first time we sit down with Jonathan. He said, all right, so what are your core values? I'm like, what do you mean, work hard, be honest? What more is there learn? You know, have a sense of humor. He's like, no, no, no, no. So first of all, it's a little more complicated than that. Secondly, he said, then all of your relationships, you'll find, all business and personal succeed or fail based on alignment of core values. Like oh wow, okay, that makes sense. So does this have to do with the relationship? Is it behavior change that you're seeking from the other person consistent with the core values that you share. Now you don't have to share every core value, but you kind of need to share about eighty percent of them. And if the behavior you're asking for is really disguised for a change and a value, it's not going to happen. And the hard part is accepting that you can value someone. They can remain your friend. You can still have a positive relationship, but not that intimate relationship, not that that lifelong commitment which the vast majority of us are driving for, you know, this great phenomenal, collaborative, long term relationship of trust. So what I would ask is for the person to say, does this fall with it? Do we share enough values? This is worth the trouble? And then the conversation is that I'm now talking about a behavior change that consistent with the values that they hold. If the behavior change is inconsistent with the values that they hold, they ain't never going to change. And we're both going to be miserable, and we're going to waste two to two to five to seven years of our lives. And hopefully the only upside will be when this is over. I'm smarter. Yeah, And that some of this is It's taken me a really long time to come to accept the reality of it that we're not helping each other. If we're not in the right relationship, you're not helping them, they're not helping you, and you can value them as human beings and you can wish them well. So the first question is is the behavior change I want consistent with the values that we share. Now you can start talking about it within that light, so sounds like we share this value. Consequently, here's how I think we can manifest it together so that we have a deeper relationship. In that context, there's a conversation if it's about the other person being happier too, not just you being happier at their expense, but it's about both of you being happier together, and it's really going to line up to what are the values?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you've then on had the I believe the challenge is that we want people to respect our values because in some way we disrespect theirs. So we want people to value what we value because we actually don't like their values. And I find that that twenty percent you're talking about around where you don't have to have the same shared values. I think that's when you actually respect. Wait a minute, they have a different value to me in this area, and that's okay. Let me learn to value that, and hopefully they'll learn to value my differing value. And hey, guess what, we may not value the same things in this area, but I respect that person for their values because I understand how they got to their and I understand why they have that value, and we don't have to have the same one. And I find that we're constantly we feel like if someone doesn't have the same exact values as us and value the same exact things, then that we can't connect the two, right, And I feel like you're going to run out of people chasing people across the world trying to find someone who values what you value in exactly the same way. Two people can value their family, but they can mean two totally different things, right, Yeah, I find that we need to get beyond this idea of my values are the most important and they're all that value, and if you don't value that, then we can't get anywhere.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah, I agree, And and be curious about the other side values exactly, and then how is it added? How is it added to your life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: My girlfriend Wendy. Again, she get relationships with people that she and she keeps in touch with people she's known since she was seven years old. I don't have those kind of relationships, you know, I haven't worked that hard at it. Some of those people are still alive, but I rarely talk to them. And She's really opened my eyes and so so many ways to the value of these great long term relationships, even with people that you disagree with rationally, you know, you're a Democrat, there, Republican, you know, whatever it is. But you know she's maintaining those relationships and there's a richness to her life that I have not maintained that I see it manifest itself, and you know, I want to learn from it.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. The books go, never split the difference? Do you ever split the difference?
Speaker 2: No? Never?
Speaker 1: Now Now in relationship is not business, not so here's a caveat though.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between splitting and blending. Okay, you know, maybe this is too cerebral of an analogy, but steel is two percent carbon ninety eight percent iron. That ain't splitting the difference. What's the proper blend? If there is a blend, so that what we come up with is a better product. Now two percent ninety eight percent split in human nature be like, oh my god, now you know. Or if I contributed two percent, I want fifty percent of the profit. Now you only contributed two percent, Well, it doesn't matter that we're far more better off. So splitting the difference is not really about finding the best blend. Or then never split the difference might also mean that you're one hundred percent right and I'm one hundred percent wrong. One of my favorite negotiations from Georgetown husband a wife in a discussion over a real tree versus artificial tree Christmas tree. Husband wants an artificial tree for all the practical reasons. He thinks his wife is being unreasonable, unpredictable, too emotional about a real tree. And he's a student, so he uses, he thinks to get his way. A great label sounds like having a real tree meant a lot to you growing up, because he's he's digging in deep. If if somebody's really seemingly irrationally sticking to something, it's not some reason, It is not the last twenty four hours, it may be twenty years ago. And so then she opens up and finally lays out all the reasons for the real tree. He realizes she's completely right. Her goals are much loftier and more long lasting than his are they get a real tree. So never split the difference is also being willing to entertain the idea that the other side's got insight that you don't have, and you've got to be open to it and be willing to accept it, which is the same thing you want from them. It's just making this a two way street.
Speaker 1: That's a great answer. I love that Chris has been such a joy talking to you today, and I know that people I hope are going to run and get the book. Never split the difference. But you always have a documentary out you're talking about someone you to share that with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just came out. It's called Tactical Empathy. It's on Amazon. We shot it with DNA Films Nick Natton, Emmy winning producer, and it's really sort of about the history of the hostage sieges and how they turned out and what we learned from and we collectively. You know, my son Brandon is featured in the documentary. There's a phrase, empathy is a sneak attack on racism. Empathy produces better decision making. And when Nick came to me about the film, I said, you know, they're enough law enforcement disadvantaged community problems that I think empathy is going to go a long way towards solving not all of them, just most of them. And if you're rid of most of them, that's a pretty good start. So we're going to categorize. This is going to be designed to show how law enforcement hearing people out is going to tamp down a lot of the flames, if you will. So then we end up at about the same time I get approached by NYPD. They want me to come and do a training for They've got critical people that they want emotional intelligence training for. They want to plan a seed because they want a more effective NYPD, which is a more pathic NYPD. And I said, all right, so here's the deal. Let us film it for the documentary and my son Brandon is going to do the training, not me. You get us for a full day. Brandon is as good or better at this than I am. And the interesting additional feature is my son brand his mother's African American effectively to the world he is African American, big Boy, Big big guy played lineman in college football, sizeable human being, the very kind of guy that if he got out of his car, will cause most police officers to think they got to fight on their hands just by looking at him. He's going to do the training, and so we've got a segment in there Brandon doing this phenomenal training for these guys and showing them how empathy is going to make you more effective. It's going to build bridges in the community. Community's got problems with law enforcement that you didn't create. You stepped into this job trying to do the right thing. That doesn't matter of the baggage between the communities. You got to deal with that. So there's also besides the history of the company and some pretty good hostage stories. Then we're trying to back into police community relationships a little bit with the doc and I hope it helps law enforcement get better training so that there's less problems with the disadvantaged communities.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. What's it quote Tactical Empathy on Amazon on Amazon Awesome. I can't wait to watch it. Sounds fantastic, Chris, it has been such a pleasure talking to you. We end every episode of on Purpose with a final five or a fast five. Each question has to be answered with one sentence maximum it's a lightning round lighting the lightning ryeah one sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I get to proceed to the championship level. Y.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, So Chris Vast, these are your fast five. So question number one, Chris, what's the best advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 2: Never take directions from somebody you in trade places.
Speaker 1: With Question number two, what's the worst advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 2: Wow? You know, hang in there just to prove them wrong.
Speaker 1: Third thing, how would you define your current purpose?
Speaker 2: Make it a world better place?
Speaker 1: Question number four? Why is empathy not a weakness?
Speaker 2: Ah, Empathy is strength, Empathy is reasoning. Empathy is a superpower, and it's got nothing to do with weakness.
Speaker 1: And fifth and final question. We asked this to every guest who's ever been on the show. If you could create a law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Be nice first?
Speaker 1: Nice guys don't finish last?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, Well you don't got to stay nice. You's got to be nice first, got it?
Speaker 1: I love it, Chris Voss. Everyone in the book is called never split the difference. The documentary is called Tactical Empathy. I'm so grateful Chris for your time and energy. I hope we get to do this again. This was just the beginning of our relationship and I feel like I learned so much. This is definitely an episode I'm going to listen to again, and I highly recommend you all go and read the book because there are so many great insights, principles, tips, strategies and stories inside of it, and of course go and watch the doc on Amazon Tactical Empathy. Chris, thank you so much for being here. So grateful.
Speaker 2: There's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Good. Yeah, thank you. Thank you so much for listening to this conversation. If you enjoyed it, you'll love my chat with Adam Grant on why discomfort is the key to growth and the strategies for unlocking your hidden potential. If you know you want to be more and achieve more this year, go check it out right now.
Speaker 2: You set a goal today, you achieve it in six months, and then by the time it happens, it's almost a relief. There's no sense of meaning and purpose. You sort of expected it, and you would have been disappointed if it didn't happen