Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty arm Strong and Jettie and now he Armstrong and Jetty. So there are three or four books coming out this spring with the behind the scenes on the whole Joe Biden, he's senile and we're hiding at Kamala Harris thing.
Speaker 2: You probably that's right wing conspiracy theory, You lunatic.
Speaker 1: He's got a stutter. You probably remember that whole story. He's got a stutter. I'm right, And there's another one out in the Guided An Interview. We're gonna play some clips here in a second, but before we get to that, this hasn't gotten much attention, I guess partially because what's the point now? But Miranda Devine, pointing out in the New York Poe New FBI chat logs, revealed the extraordinary gag order that senior leadership used to shut down the Hunter Biden laptop discussion. Oh yeah, and it's just you know, it's it's all in the history books now. But and then you know everybody always claims, well, that sort of thing couldn't happen.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, I was gonna say. That's why you pay attention to it. You've got to understand what the the dangers are and work to build systems that won't allow them to happen again.
Speaker 1: The conversation's withheld by the FBI under Director Chris Ray show that senior leadership issued an internal gag order on the laptop. Here's the key thing you need to know. When everyone in the country should know, but only half the country knows. The FBI was in position of Hunter Biden's laptop for ten months before the story broke in the New York Post. They'd had it from the you know, the computer owner or whatever like that, and their analysts quickly to determined right after they got it that the laptop did belong to Hunter, had not been tampered with in anyway, and and could be used as evidence in court. It was the real deal. All that stuff was true. Nobody had messed with it. It was They decided that ten months before the story broke, and then was immediately turned into a this is a misinformation can't be printed, you know the whole thing there. FBI kept their mouths shut.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna waste our time or our listener's time with this story. Yeah, I wish they'd told those fifty three whatever it was intelligence professionals that indeed it was legit.
Speaker 1: That's too bad and almost I don't know about certainly, but you can make a decent argument that Trump would have won if that story had been pursued the way it should have been pursued.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a change so massive in the landscape that, yeah, you can't say that's not true.
Speaker 1: And even if you hate Trump a lot, you can't be in favor of hiding the fact that the sitting president's son was all kinds of a crook and had all these business dealings with all these different companies and the money and it's all very confusing and it doesn't look good. So the hiding that, you can't be in favor of that, even if you hate Trump, Right, we can't have that in a presidential election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the FBI ought to be restrained about releasing details of ongoing investigations, obviously, but so selective they leaked like a sieve. If it was detrimental Trump, just unforgivable.
Speaker 1: Any who. So this is a guy named Jonathan Allen, respected reporter, got a book out called Fight. He did an interview today on Fox and Friends about what he has learned or didn't know, or is telling us now about the whole Biden Kannalla hairr selection thing. Here we go.
Speaker 3: You know, there's this incredible moment on the day that Joe Biden decides to get out of the race. He's been getting all this pressure, and he calls her up and it's been reported, the very broad outlines were reported. As he tells her he's getting out, she says, are you sure? He says yes, and that's it. There were actually two phone calls between them because she had to beg Joe Biden to make a quick endorsement right as soon as he gets out. She's got to get the delegates, she's got to get her whip operation, call all the members of Congress, the governors, whatever. And Biden's like, I'm getting out. I might endorse you like on Thursday, like a few days later. I want to take a victory lab but soak in my moment. And she's like, Joe, you have got to endorse me. And so they go back and forth on this before Biden does it.
Speaker 1: If you remember the timeline of this, I mean from the debate until he finally stepped down. There are many days that she knew he is stepping down. Everybody knew it was gonna happen, just when, so she wanted to be lined up for that. Let's roll on.
Speaker 3: Obama definitely did not think she should be the Democratic nominee.
Speaker 1: He would not endorse that day either.
Speaker 3: He would not endorse that day either. She talked to him. He said to her, I don't want to put my thumb on the scale. She was disappointed, but not necessarily shocked, because he's been behind the scenes trying to undermine her for the last several weeks before Biden even got out.
Speaker 2: Funny, I'm torn because you could make the argument, Well, no, they withheld the endorsement because they believed rightly that there should be a vigorous, if short, primary process to let the strongest survive and become their candidate.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't have believed that it was Josh Shapiro that was the vice president.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No, the reality is they withheld the endorsement because she's a half wit and has no talent, no political talent whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Wow, So she knew Obama was working behind the scenes to try to Yeah, she should probably get some credit for organizing the way she did to manage to get the Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know what, Yeah, she and her team I stand corrected. They have that much political talent. They knew how to whip up support in a big hurry to make it look like she had to be the nominee to avoid all the chaos. They did a good job of that. Yes, means a good job to the point that they like convinced their party that this dope should be the nominee. You know what, I stand seriously corrected. You gotta tip your cap.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, so she's She and her people are good at this, which book was after the one of these sort of tell all books came out by real reporters after the twenty twenty election pointing out what a great job she did of knifing When it was when Biden was trying to decide who to be his running mate, anybody's name popped up, she had an operation in plan to get them knifed in the public press, get a story out about him, a negative story that would just you know, ruin their chances. Yeah, and she was able to and Biden at that time. I guess his brain still worked enough, having been in DC his whole life. He knew that's what was going on. So if somebody's name popped, got floated and then they got shut down, he knew Kamala Harris was working behind the scenes, and that's what he liked about her. He thought, Okay, she understands, you know, how this whole game works. But how has she got that talent but nothing else? Or maybe she people with that talent and she can't she has nothing herself. I don't know. Let's hear a little more from this reporter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he needed a fluorescent tape on the Florida Show where to Go. He needed telepropters to talk to small groups, small donor groups. He would put on makeup early in the morning to do cabinet meetings and then sometimes do the makeup and not do the meetings right. So they all knew that there was a level of decline. I think there were varying appreciations for that. We talked to one person who said it was particularly steep in early twenty twenty four. But they were doing risk mitigation. How do we make it less likely that Joe Biden falls apart in front of the world. And look, if you like the train wreck of what happened on the Democratic side with all these cars piling up and all these political leaders at odds with each other and being wrong about a lot of things.
Speaker 1: This book's for you. So when I originally heard that he put on makeup to look less old, well, everybody on TV does that. But if he was doing that to go into his cabinet meetings for like, for the other people in the room, yeah, that's a slightly different thing. Well, and I saw him on TV plenty and it didn't work. No, maybe he looked less old than he would have, but he looked like a man in the very final stages of life. How about they put on the makeup and then he doesn't go to the cabinet meeting because somebody realizes, yes, isn't the day media, He can't go be around people today?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Jonathan Allen didn't mention that. But there's a real day to day.
Speaker 1: What kind of day is it going to be if anybody's dealt with the tragedy of you know, mental deterioration with age, I think we got one more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sort of this amazing talent that Trump has for being in the moment and also seeing it from outside, sort of being a stage manager, if you will, and he's watching Joe Biden fall a party, seeing these answers go terribly. I think people will remember that moment where Trump says, I don't know what he just said, and I don't think he does either. It's sympathetic, I mean for Trump with an opponent on stage, you know, typically he's not particularly sympathetic, but in this case, he's looking at Biden. He's like, this looks harrow and he starts thinking to himself, how do I keep hitting this guy without looking like a jerk because the media is going to talk about how I went off the rails, and I need to just kind of keep it in and not not look like a jerk, not come off poorly. And so he reins it in. But that's what's going on, according to our sources, in Trump's mind as he's on the stage with Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's really interesting. And he played that well because if you remember when one of the Castro Brothers yelled at Trump during a debate, all right, Biden.
Speaker 2: Appropriately named communist Castro Brothers.
Speaker 1: Yes, he yelled at Biden during a Democratic debate. So did you forgot already, you forget already, and he just he came off as an a hole, right. Yeah. Trump let it hang out there and didn't because he could have jumped in and said that sort of thing. Look at him, he's senile, he's a mess. He just let it. He knew because he understands TV and media. He knew all the damage was being done right there next to him. He didn't need to do that. Yeah, that is pretty well played. Yeah. Oh wow, Well, Gollie G. Turns out everything we were saying was exactly correct at the time. Soon anyway, has there ever been a more exciting couple of weeks since I don't know, Ford Theater in the United States politics? Because all that happened so fast, the convention, Trump being shot, the debate and all that sort of stuff was just, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And now, speaking of exciting weeks, we have giant changes in trade policy, for instance, the tariff thing. We will get back into that in a few moments. First, though, you've been delightful in eating your vegetables, so we've got dessert next segment. Do you have the original Clipmichael that we talked about, Go ahead and hit that.
Speaker 4: I'm just curious just to better understand your ruling. If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blind, bad built bush body, that would not be engaging in personalities.
Speaker 1: What now, Chairman, I make a motion. We'll go ahead.
Speaker 2: We'll leave it there for now. We'll play the whole thing coming back. Well, evidently somebody has made a song out of them.
Speaker 1: Of course they have. I think this a required by the constitution. So we've got that on the way. Stay here.
Speaker 5: Armstrong Wakefield High is a guinea pig of sorts. Students are expected to store their phones in this magnetic locking pouch throughout the day. At first there was resistance.
Speaker 4: People were putting dents and holes in the wall, like there are tables we had to get fixed.
Speaker 1: Right after we got them. When I walked into the cafeteria, all you hear is like the like it's sounded like gunshots.
Speaker 5: Greg Cabana, a government teacher at Wakefield, noticed it too.
Speaker 6: The fact that they're banging pouches around the cafeteria trying to unlock their phone. This is proving our point right here of how meaningful and how powerful that phone is.
Speaker 1: There are different versions of no phones in schools, I've noticed, and it makes a difference. I want it to happen at any school my kid ever goes to. But some of them it's no phone in the classroom. You can still like look at it in between classes over lunch hour. I like this. You put it in a some sort of lock box the beginning of school and you don't see it again to the end of the day.
Speaker 2: So that was the early reaction of the policy. They were trying desperately to get them out. But what happened next.
Speaker 5: Student care in Mine says it's led to a new kind of engagement.
Speaker 1: Even just like at lunch you like talk to each other, you know, like people bring games to class.
Speaker 5: You never experienced that kind of engagement. Well, it was just like and maybe not since kindergarten, maybe not since preschool. When the students and teachers here say, less isolation has meant less interpersonal conflict.
Speaker 1: There were a lot less fights. I haven't seen any of this year.
Speaker 5: The movement to restrict cell phones in classrooms is growing, with nine states having already passed a ban or restricted cell phone use in schools.
Speaker 1: Do it everywhere immediately? Yeah, there's a difference between the restriction and the band though. I want the ban I want the you lock it up when you get there and you won't see it again until the end. Because that lunch hour thing. I don't doubt that a bit. And the fights aside, even without that, I don't doubt that. Day one. It's obviously different. Yes, with the kids interacting, it hurts my heart to hear them. And kids were talking and playing games. Yeah, we all freaking did for all of human history. Oh back when we had fun, and even if you were a little down, you wouldn't contemplate suicide anyway. Oh yeah, I know, I know. Technology is a double edged sword. Anyway.
Speaker 2: We can talk about that all day. I feel strongly about it, but let's move on. I would love to play the entire verbal battle between Jasmine Crockett and Marjorie Taylor Green a year or two ago, whatever it was during a house hearing. It was one of the most entertaining Miao miow Congressional cat fights in American history.
Speaker 1: Here's a little bit of it.
Speaker 4: I'm just is just to better understand your ruling. If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blonde, bad built, butsh body, that would not be engaging in personalities.
Speaker 1: Correct, what now.
Speaker 7: Chairman, I make I make a motion to strike those I don't think that's all trying to find clarification on what qual emotion.
Speaker 4: Said.
Speaker 7: We're not gonna We're not gonna do this like you guys earlier.
Speaker 1: Literally just you.
Speaker 2: Just remember an MTG said something about he probably is you can't see through your false eyelashes or something.
Speaker 1: And that's good stuff. That's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Anyway, here's an artist by the name of King Wallonius, and there is a twist coming up, but first dig his soulful sounds.
Speaker 1: I find this depression. Don't don't play with me. Why didn't you explain why you find it depressing? Because it's Ai. It's AI, that's right. Barry Gordy is considered one of the great musical geniuses of all time for coming up with that kind of music and recording it. Apparently you can just tell AI to do it, because that is really good.
Speaker 2: And Aretha Franklin slash a young Tina Turner maybe were once in a generation talents in a computer just essentially made them again. Oh singing that song and Supremes the background singers there. Uh yeah, that's that's just weird man.
Speaker 1: So what I'm interesting because our producer Hanson was talking about this guy does it? So what is his talent? Because I don't understand this. I haven't messed around with AI enough. What is Does he have a marketable talent for being able to put together AI music? Well? Could anybody do it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's we were momentarily confused because Hanson's like, in guessquad, it's AI. I've got a link to the artist who produced it, and I'm like, wait, which one is it? This guy, evidently, and this is based on the little I know about it, is skilled enough in manipulating the prompts to, through various iterations, perfect the idea he has in his head of what the song ought to sound like.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it'd be like, make it a little more like young Tina Turner, No, no, no, a little more it would it be like that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little arethau and then you know, equing it and doing the things music producers do. But yeah, well wouldn't It'd be great when we're freed up by AI to never have to create any more art.
Speaker 1: That's good? What Armstrong and Getty?
Speaker 8: The President announced that baseline ten percent tariff on all US imports effective April fifth, and then nations that the President considers to be bad actors are facing additional duties. China, for instance, gets a total of fifty four percent, Vietnam forty six percent, thirty two percent for Taiwan, twenty four percent for Japan, and the EU was hit with twenty percent. The baseline ten goes into effect on Friday, while about sixty countries facing those higher reciprocal tariffs will see those rates going to effect April ninth at twelve oh one am.
Speaker 1: Sixty countries deemed bad actors. You're a bad actor, pushing the US overall weighted average tariff among the sixty countries to twenty five four percent. That's the highest and over one hundred years, and likely headed to hiss high as twenty seven percent once more expected moves are made.
Speaker 2: And it is literally those numbers you threw around half of what those other countries charge our manufacturer not mentioned enough.
Speaker 1: Why isn't that mentioned more often?
Speaker 2: Because it absolutely undermines the Trump is an idiot narrative or Trump is a maniac. Well, I just think it makes it way more interesting, so I agree completely. I didn't know Europe was hitting us with dang near fifty percent tariff on everything all these years, and so when we raise it to half that it's a trade war. I honestly, I mean, I'm not advocating a position. I don't know enough about this topic to advocate a position. I just don't understand as a novice, why Europe hitting us with almost fifty percent tariffs and then US coming back with twenty or whatever.
Speaker 1: It is is a trade war as opposed to I don't know it. It's not. A German economic minister just said Trump will quote buckle under pressure if Europe hits back at tariffs. You've already hit us with tariffs like high tariffs. Yeah, you've been hitting us with fifty, We're gonna hit you with twenty. You're gonna you're gonna lash back at us and punish us for that. I I hate what this is doing to my savings and investments. I haven't looked at I haven't I should go to four oh one k dot com and see what it is today.
Speaker 2: And I'm a tad concerned about how this plays out in the medium term. And honestly, even if Trump is one hundred percent right about everything. That doesn't mean it is going to work out the way he says it's going to not clear if he has enough time, and and like like so many things.
Speaker 1: Why you need that third term? Right, Like so many things.
Speaker 2: The fact that it's executive orders as opposed to congressional you know laws, Uh, it means that it could be reversed pretty quickly and easily by the next guy to come along or gal theoretically. So having said that, though I hear the arguments in favor of what he's doing, and I find them much much, much more persuasive than the arguments against. At this point, we are getting hammered with unfair tariffs, have been since WW two is over for good enough reasons. We had to get the world's economies back on their feet. Otherwise we would have had nobody to sell our stuff to. But my question would be when was when is that supposed to go on forever?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, exactly, That's that's where I am too. Now that I've seen the actual numbers, let me click over to them. Your opinion, Union on average charges US thirty nine percent we'll call it forty percent in tariffs on US goods now, The new Trump's trade war punitive tariffs is twenty percent half that Vietnam hits us with ninety percent tariffs. We're saying, okay, we're hitting you with forty six percent. Taiwan, our good buddy, hit with sixty four percent tariffs. They depend on us, so I said before, to keep shesen Ping from nude sunbathing on their beach with the Red Army.
Speaker 1: Were it not for us, he'd be doing that.
Speaker 2: Today they hit us with sixty four Trump said, okay, fine, We're gonna hit you with thirty two. That's the trade war. Is it disruptive? Oh hell yeah. Is it shaking up all of Wall Street's expectations and plans?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Are people getting out of stocks at least temporarily because they're betting on them going down?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: But how does it play out over two years, five years, twenty five years. This is either a debacle or Trump will be looked upon as an FDR like figure.
Speaker 1: But in a good way. I hate the stock market analysis. I always have. As I've said for many years, economic reporting is the dumbest reporting in America. And also there's this whenever a Republican does something that causes the stock market to go down. Democrats act like the most important thing in the world is what big business wants to do. Right, They hate big business, they hate capitalism, they hate the Wall Street crowd. But it goes down because of a Republican decision. The most holy thing we should all look to for where we're happy or not, is what Wall Street thinks.
Speaker 2: Right's hilarious. Yeah, you people are something. Let's go ahead and do Howard Lutnik fifty two's the secretary of Commerce.
Speaker 6: European Union won't take chicken from America. They won't take lobsters from America. They hate our beef because our beef is beautiful and theirs is weak. It's unbelievable they won't. We can't sell corn to India, we can't sell rice to Asia.
Speaker 1: Now, the European Union as a whole, this is not the way that you look at it. Economies, but it's almost as big as ours. So why do they get to exclude a bunch of products because of the devastation of World War Two? But if we do it, it's something awful.
Speaker 2: By the way, I've adopted your beef as weak as my new insult.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go to a steakhouse and say, I'd like your beautiful beef, not your week beef. Don't be bringing me your week stuff.
Speaker 2: Jd Vance, he's the vice president, Jack Clip fifty eight.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't think of tax cuts as a way to offset the tariffsto. Here's the way that I think about it is, again, for forty years, we've had an economy that rewards people who ship American jobs overseas and raises taxes on American workers, and we're flipping that on its head. We're going to cut taxes for American workers and for American companies that build here. We're going to make it harder to ship American jobs overseas.
Speaker 1: It's a total.
Speaker 9: Shift and the way that we've done economic policy in the United States of America.
Speaker 1: But it was necessary. So, yeah, we're going to cut your taxes.
Speaker 9: You're going to have more money in your pocket, and that's of course going to help you deal with the cost of inflation. But that's not about offsetting the tariffs. They work together penalized people for shipping our jobs overseas. We want to reward hard working Americans. It's all part of the same policy.
Speaker 1: M I don't like it when say people say penalize. What's Canada's uh tariff on us? What do they do to us? Because I'm watching the Canadian Prime minister up there talking about how Trump's tariffs are so miskits. The old guy wearing his panties are the new guy. I don't think they have a new guy. It's the new guy. Nah, they don't have they haven't had an election yet. Well, they call him the Canadian prime minister. Is that the guy right there? No, the guy that was just honest, He was the Canadians right, fair enough? Uh, he's a caretaker jack. Well, that's true.
Speaker 2: Uh, where's Canada stand by? They're not listed in alphabetical order. They don't have Canada on this chart. I'll have to look it up.
Speaker 1: Trudeau had to step down because he's going through menopause. Well played, What was I going to say? You've distracted me? Now as you want to do fifty two B?
Speaker 2: Michael? Do you have that? I don't have a time on it. It's not like five minutes long, is it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 6: The story I was trying to tell you is that when we took cars from Korea in twenty twelve when I grew up, there was no Korean cars in America. When we took cars from Korea, the deal was we could sell ag to Korea.
Speaker 1: That was the deal.
Speaker 6: They wouldn't let McDonald's bring in French fries because they couldn't prove the origin of the French fry.
Speaker 1: That is not a tariff.
Speaker 6: That is called a non tariff trade barrier.
Speaker 1: They take their.
Speaker 6: Taxes and they subsidize their steel industry, or they subsidize their energy, or they subsidize they give the tax back to their car manufacturer.
Speaker 1: This stuff has got to stop. America's got to stop.
Speaker 6: Being exploited, and you're going to see America prosper. And then and only then will Donald Trump make a deal with each country when they've really really changed their ways. Then they go stack down the road, but not run back off.
Speaker 1: And that's not off.
Speaker 6: That is, let the deal maker make his deals when and only if these countries can change everything about themselves, which I doubt they will.
Speaker 1: Hey, lady, you can't say so, you'll braack off down the road. That's not dway Negotia and it works. Wow, man, the media sucks. Yes, Katie, Canada is charging the United States to twenty five percent tariff and our beautiful fifty for state.
Speaker 2: And there are other non trade barriers too that Canada protects its beef, I think, or that sort of thing. The non trade barriers or I'm sorry, non tariff trade barriers are an important.
Speaker 1: Facet of this.
Speaker 2: It's much more complicated than your talking head morons make it. South Korea, by the way, our great close ally who again Kim Jong oun would be sucking down sushi in Gangnam? Took me a minute to come up with that, remember that son?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Where was I?
Speaker 2: Oh, Kim Jong owned be sugging out sushi and Gangnam right now?
Speaker 1: If it wasn't for the USA.
Speaker 2: South Korea charges US fifty percent tariffs on average, and Trump's punitive trade war tariffs on them are going to be twenty five percent half of it Trump's say you can trade wolver Yeah.
Speaker 1: So somebody smart before tomorrow email us with your you know, phdevil PhD level treatise on explaining why they get to tariff US so high and were retaliating with less is unholy in a trade war. Because I really really.
Speaker 2: Do want to know if I'm seriously wrong on any of this.
Speaker 1: I'm a strong position. So here's Charles Payin of Fox. Interesting, dude.
Speaker 10: The last thing we want to focus on right now is the stock market. So there's a lot of culports here, but we finally have woken up, and I think the American publicly've been making a huge mistake to watch the stock market. In fact, the administration says, listen, we want to if you want to see where we're going, what we like to do. Particularly remember President Trump was elected first and foremost to bring inflation down, so you want they want to see the dollar come down a little bit. It's been too strong and it's going to need to come down, probably to fight out some of the countermeasures.
Speaker 1: The stock market. I would not worry at all.
Speaker 10: In fact, I'd be a buyer of weakness, not a panic. Not panic here. That's my message to America.
Speaker 1: And so I mentioned this earlier the Financial Times with an article out today. We should not wish for American workers to return to the days of sewing tennis shoes together in factories, which is weird, Like okay, what so be better to be unemployed than to be sewing tennis shoes because that fake disability getting welfare because that's beneath us. I don't quite understand that argument.
Speaker 2: But then there's hyping into a computer in a cubicle, or to death and getting diabetes. I mean, what is that argument exactly?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're too good for that. Let those weird yellow people in Vietnam do it. You're phrasing the unspoken point of view being expressed there.
Speaker 1: So it's good that Converse took their shoe manufacturing to wherever they're made, not I think Vietnam.
Speaker 2: But so we could all design iPhones. I know I've designed seven or eight myself. Yeah, I don't finish.
Speaker 1: That thought for me there. Whoever's writing that I should read the whole article. It's in the Financial Times of Day. But I was working toward the idea that there's the whole national security aspect of not having any manufacturing, which we've talked about, and Trump is brought up that if we ever had to ramp up for a war or another global pandemic or whatever, we don't make anything, what are we going to do?
Speaker 2: We could build an awesome fleet of AI battleships and send them into a simulation against China. Well, they're building the ones made of metal.
Speaker 1: We could have a tremendous number of college graduates argue with them about equity and gender. Any who this complex as that's first thing joseid today is very, very complicated and disruptive, Absolutely no doubt about that. Anybody who pretends they know how this is going to turn out has got to be lying.
Speaker 2: Appears to note. Joe is seriously wrong. Joe's good to his word. I have a great recipe for crow taco. That's funny.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna have to crow because I haven't made any strong statements. I honestly, I am just asking because I don't know it just it doesn't make sense to me on the face of it. All Right, here's okay.
Speaker 2: Steve says, you've been stuckreed because the terifrates are actually based on trade deficits, which is a completely different thing and shows the depths of dishonesty by the administration. Cambodia, for instance, has an actual average tarifrate around ten percent, not anywhere near the ninety something percent shown neither of South Korea imposing fifty percent tariffs. One could take the position that we should harmonize terifrates and perhaps push back on foreign government to export subsidies, but it shouldn't be based on complete fabrications of data. I would agree with you, Steve, one hundred percent, if that's correct. My only rejoinder would be the Wall Street Journal editorial board apparently hasn't been informed of that, because they haven't said that they hate these tariffs.
Speaker 1: Why have they not brought that up? I like the idea of harmonizing the rates. That'd be good for everyone. Uh more in the way and you can Texas four one five two nine five kftc.
Speaker 6: Our beef is beautiful.
Speaker 11: I heard about a woman in Pennsylvania who was looking for a jacket that she donated to charity after realizing she left the two point five million dollar lottery ticket in the pocket. It's tough going back to a charity like, hey, I accidentally gave.
Speaker 1: You money, an unfortunate error. I feel like there's a reason you're playing the lottery on a regular basis. Well, dear, you're very judgmental about that. I am we have for your trap.
Speaker 2: That's true, we don't so yes, I am enjoying a delightful crow taco right now. A couple of folks have sent this along, and what's amazing. Is I just I did a very quick and cursory check. But the big publications aren't.
Speaker 1: Writing about this or getting to my point about how awful economic coverage is. Yeah, I've got to scanning real quick because I want to get that right. All right, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: Here is the actual statement from the Administration on the reciprocal tariff calculations from the Office of the United States Trade Representative. Reciprocal tariffs are calculated as a terraff f right necessary to balance bilateral trade deficits between the US and each of our trading partners. That premise is a little wobbly the calculator because again, a giant rich country is going to buy way more than it sells to a small poor.
Speaker 1: Country for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: This calculation assumes that persistent trade deficis it's are due to a combination of tariff and non terror factors that prevent trade from balancing tariffs work through direct reductions of imports. Again, there are a lot of factors that have nothing to do with tariffs and non terr effact like barriers to trade. Reciprocal teriff rates range from zero percent to ninety nine percent, with unweighted and import weighted averages of twenty percent forty one percent, and then they go into a couple of pages of details. So it is, yeah, it's misleading. The approach that the administration is taking is misleading.
Speaker 1: So saying so the Trump administration saying Vietnam has whatever it is, a ninety percent tariff on things come in the United States is not accurate. No, no, it's not okay.
Speaker 2: So they have and the left does this constantly and it makes me insane. They've essentially used words that sound like something you think you know what they mean. Reciprocal means mutually equal, right, good for the goose, good for the gander, Well right, exactly, and this is not reciprocal in the standard way. Now, I think my premise, my conclusion is still right in that there are tariff and non tariff barriers to US exports that are outrageous and ridiculous and that ought to be equalized. But the administration is greasing the skids by using numbers that aren't what they seem to be.
Speaker 1: I can't believe Europe won't let our beef in. What do they eat for steak over there? Do they get it from? Where do they get it from I don't know, French beef, India. No, they European. You see the cows there in England, right, your Jersey cattle. They don't have enough feed lots to feed Europe. They don't beef over there. Well, is that it? Why don't they beef? Is beautiful? I agree?
Speaker 2: Hmm uh so okay, well I stand at least enlightened.
Speaker 1: If not, well, maybe we're all going to get at least a one hundred level class on international tariffs over the next several days or weeks. Yeah, where this settles in the next several days or weeks is anybody's guests If you missed a segment of the podcast Armstrong and Getty