Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome back to Bechler Happy Hour. I am Joe and I am Serena, and today we are here with Devin in my opinion, right now as I'm watching one of Jen's front runners, Devin, Welcome to Bachler Happy Hour. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic that you guys are having me. Honestly, it feels great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, been a wanting you for a minute because you've been, as we have been saying, a controversial character this season. You've had some You've had a wide variety of moments, let's.
Speaker 4: Get it that way.
Speaker 3: So I feel like this is a great time to talk to you to kind of just get into everything that we've seen and maybe some of the stuff that you didn't see while you were filming, but you've now watched back and your opinion on all of that as well, because it's been a lot said in interviews too.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to get into everything. We're gonna to get into Sam m the ice cream, you're connection with Jim. We'll get into all that before we do. How did you get on the Bachelorette?
Speaker 5: So funny story. My my best friend's wife, Alexis, she actually works for me. I hired her a little over a year ago, and she said that her first or of business since I was a newly single man looking for love, was to give me on her favorite TV show of all time that she's been watching since she was a kid, and that was The Bachelorette. So I actually got a call, thought it was spam, got a couple more, didn't answer it.
Speaker 2: They ended up calling and reaching out to Alexis.
Speaker 5: She reached out to me, said, hey, you should probably call these guys back. They seem like they're actually real people. And I get a lot of spam calls with my company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the same thing I had three Bess calls. I was like, these freaking telemarketers just won't leave me alone.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, and I think, I think when I look back on it, I had like a missed voicemail like from someone saying, hey, I promise, like I'm a real person, this is legit, Like, give me a call back if you're interested. And I did, and sure enough, I want end up on one of the favor my favorite shows of all time.
Speaker 1: Now found favorite show. I answered, I see the California number coming right away. I'm like, about time Hollywood's calling me. I answered immediately, I answered on the first ring.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't know anyone in al A, Like, who would be calling me from California?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Exactly, And and like I said, I get a lot of spam calls to my cell phone from work. So I had just figured it was a telemarketers insurance trying to sell me something with commercial.
Speaker 2: Insurance or whatever. So I had no paid no mind to it.
Speaker 1: What do you you said, you have your own Do you have your own business? What do you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I I call it a consultant firm. It's a transportation brokerage. Basically, we're the middlemen between corporate America shippers and industrial manufacturers.
Speaker 1: That yeah, yeah, nice, Good for you.
Speaker 2: It's hectic. I learned to talk a lot in that in this industry, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you got to you gotta sell people over the phone, right yeah yeah? Okay. So you you know, night one, you step out of the limo, your first conversation with Jen, how are you feeling? Are there sparks there? Do you feel a connection?
Speaker 5: You know, I'll preface it like this. I had never seen the show before, so I had relatively little knowledge of what I was even supposed to be doing there obviously, other than getting to know this person, I'm seeing Jen for the first time.
Speaker 2: I think she looks stunning. I mean, she looks magnificent.
Speaker 1: And did you know did you know she was gonna be the bachelorette before you went on?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't even know any of the contestants. I saw her.
Speaker 5: Premiere when they announced it, and that was the first time that I had never seen Jen ever, ever ever heard her speak, ever say a word. And so for me, it wasn't like I feel like, for me, it wasn't about making a shopping cart list of who I could think it could be and then going and treating the situation like it was. I just wanted to go and meet a genuine person and that could possibly like me for who I am, and that was all that had crossed my mind at that point. It was nice, it was nice to kind of go and blind. I didn't think there was a connection right away with Jen, especially since I started talking about feet right away.
Speaker 2: Thankfully, she's a very good sport and kind of rolled with the bunches my use a little bit. But yeah, I was nervous. I mean, there's cameras everywhere, there's all these guys.
Speaker 1: So when did you feel the connection?
Speaker 5: I think I think that when I took her for ice cream, and how willing she was to have a conversation with me away from the group right then and there, and because of how my personality is, it kind of was telling about who I was and the fact that she enjoyed that moment with me told me that she enjoyed how I am and who I am and and a little bit of that. So that was like my first like, okay, this girl's this girl's kind of cool, like she's down a skip class and go get ice.
Speaker 2: Cream with me, Like that's an amazing feeling.
Speaker 5: So it started there and it just, you know, obviously only grew over time. But I didn't I didn't know right away if she was into me. I didn't know night one if I was gonna be there, you know, coming the next week.
Speaker 2: But you know, again, for me, it was all about the experience.
Speaker 3: So she she compared you to Pete Davidson in episode one. I think we've seen people online saying it too. Is that a comparison you've gotten before?
Speaker 5: So yes, I actually get that way more than I'm proud of I think, I know. But for me, like I always had this idea of Pete Davidson, like in my mind that he was just this person that they're not ugly, but just you know, he's not on the better looking side of people in the world, and so and so for me, like when people would tell me that, and it's happened a lot more, I think in the last like three years, I get it quite frequently.
Speaker 2: But for me, it's it.
Speaker 5: I'm like, as long as I don't look like him, that's great. As long as I remind you of Pete Davidson, that's fantastic. I do a lot of the same. You know, I'm very vocal. I guess I moved my head all out when I talk or whatever. But reminding him is much better than looking like him.
Speaker 1: I actually don't really think you look like him, thank you.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I think it's like the energy and the mannerisms and kind of the way you talk more so than I appreciate.
Speaker 2: That means a lot. He could never grow a mustache.
Speaker 1: Like this, never ever, so so you so you connect over ice cream. But then when you did pull her for ice cream, that was kind of I think that was the start of like the Devin arc of the guys hate me essentially or not are upset with me? Did you realize that was going to rub all the guys the wrong way when you did make that move?
Speaker 5: And no again, because because I haven't seen the show and I don't know how any of this stuff works. My my mindset was like, Okay, we have how long to talk to this girl and be with this person. We're into like a rug store looking at rugs. Everybody's doing their own thing at that point. You know, Jen's kind of looking around like a shop early She's trying to buy something for her house. So for me, in my mind, I was like, Okay, this is a great opportunity for me to kind of just get to know this person a little bit more one on one time.
Speaker 2: And so I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: It was gonna affect a certain select group of people, and for the most part, not everybody was upset. In my mind, I think it was a playful gesture, taking a little bit out of context for what it actually was, and that rubbed a couple of people the wrong way.
Speaker 1: And was.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I was just gonna say, like I didn't I didn't expect the implications of this to be what it was, especially when you look back on it from that original moment, like, you know, it's just ice cream. You know, I may have talked to her for a few minutes and then it was back to business. Everybody was you know, they didn't let me enjoy the moment, that's for sure, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know it was going to be like that.
Speaker 4: Would you go back and do it again?
Speaker 1: I think? I mean, yeah, I think that was the right move, especially if she's walking around looking for rugs and no one's even like really talking to her, then it's like, yeah, it's almost a genius move exactly.
Speaker 5: And and for me it was like, you know, and again it's gelatto. I was corrected on this a lot. It's gelatto on, not ice cream. But with the gelato thing, it was just an opportunity for me to get some side conversation in a little bit of stuff that you know, just.
Speaker 2: Hey, look i'm here, i'm available, I'm a good guy. Let's have some fun with it.
Speaker 5: I'm not really going to be concerned with the opinions of many as long as I have the validation.
Speaker 2: Of your opinion.
Speaker 5: That's all I care about, you know, So that's that's kind of my thought process through that whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean, look, it was a ballsy move for sure, one that paid off. But we see that a lot of the time the female leads on these group dates feel like they get lost. It happens at least like once or twice a season where they're like, yeah, all these guys are like growing out and I'm just here by myself.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she forgot that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think it was a good move in the sense if she's standing by herself, she would much rather be pulled aside and made you feel wanted by someone because she started to find love. But we do see the guys start ripping into on the second half of that date because you have the roasts. Were you surprised that it was kind of like the roast of Devin or were you expecting that.
Speaker 5: Like, I'll put it like this, It's not that I didn't see it coming. I'm like, I'm a person that doesn't take themselves too seriously. I say this all the time, Like I told this to the guys in the house, Like, my friends and I are way meaner to each other than you. Guys have ever been to me, so like, this doesn't bother me. I think it's it was the fact of the matter that it did put such a sustainable thought in their mind, like Devin is a problem, Devin is a thing.
Speaker 2: But in my mind, I'm thinking, Okay, they're just talking about me. Jen's just hearing my.
Speaker 5: Name over and over and over again, Like there's gotta be something at least to talk about here. So was it funny I left? You know, I didn't take offense to it. I didn't take any part in like being upset about the jokes yet. Did I think I had it coming?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 5: But you know again, if you're gonna dish it, take it, And I think that's what I did in that moment, just kind of yeah, roll with the punches.
Speaker 1: So Aaron, now we're friends with I never met Aaron, but we're friends with Noah, Aaron's twin brother, and Noah actually Noah was a contestant on the show who another another guy gave Noah a book about like maturity and the like being immature. So it's just like it was funny now to see Noah's twin brother give you a book on like what is it self growth whatever. Yeah, let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, walk us through the Aaron things. We see you guys have the ice cream standoff and the and we see him giving the book. The ironic thing is, I'm curious that they would agree with this. I think, no, why is more similar to Devin than he is to Aaron personality wise?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: See see, I don't know. I've only only heard about this from like after the fact, because I didn't know. I heard that he had a brother on the show, like when we were there, and so I didn't think anything of it.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know it.
Speaker 5: Went like the rabbit hole went as deep as it did. Yeah, for me, I think with the whole situation with Aaron was I knew that he was the vocal one about being upset about the ice cream situation, and I could have saw myself empathizing with him maybe a little bit. For me, I don't see the big deal. I'm like, what is the big deal here? You know that we're making this commotion about. But when he pulled me aside to talk to me at the bar, if you remember at the cocktail party, he doesn't like make it a situation that talks about him saying, hey, I was uncomfortable about this situation because of this. He immediately leads into, hey, you're not a man and you're not grown enough to be with a woman. I'm judging your character, I'm judging your depth. I don't think she wants to be with a boy. And I'm like, we don't even know each other, Like, we don't even know each other yet. So I think that, you know, any inclination that I had to hear him out in that moment kind of went out the window.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, Okay, we're gonna just make bold assumptions like that. Then I can't help you here, buddy. You know I'm I'm not the guy that you're gonna rile up, that's for sure. Do I think I was a little petty with him with the ice cream afterwards, Yes, of course, But that's who I am a little bit. You know, if I'm gonna get under your skin and and I'm gonna see how people act when they're under pressure, because I think that shows a lot of who you are is is you know, not ideal environments.
Speaker 2: How are you gonna operate? You know, how you're you gonna operate.
Speaker 4: Tell us about the book situation, like, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it's the same, It was the same.
Speaker 5: Had I known it was like something that had happened in his lineage before, I would have made probably a little bit more of a joke.
Speaker 2: Out of it. For me, I just thought it was very condescending.
Speaker 5: Again, as much fun as I'll poke at you, I'll never like make assumptions about who you are or what your values are and what you believe in and the things that you deserve in life and things that you don't deserve in life. So for me, what the biggest thing was was he was trying to like sun me in that moment and try to bestow this wisdom on me that he clearly didn't have himself about maturity in the stage where if it's if it's bothering you so much, let's have a real conversation, let's talk about it, let's get over it. He wanted to like get back at me in that in that setting, and I'm sitting there like, Okay, we're we're having this discussion again about depth, We're having this discussion again about character. And then you just follow up and you call me Dylan, which could have been a joke on his part, but even in the moment, like, if it's a joke, then you must realize how silly you're sounding right now for making this an argument. If it's gonna be, you know, something you make fun of my name for so, I don't know, man it was.
Speaker 1: Do you think you guys do you think you guys have if you ran into him now? Do you think you guys are could hash it out? Would be fine?
Speaker 5: I think I think Aaron. I think Aaron's probably more of a salvageable case than Samka for sure, just because like, uh, Aaron just didn't seem like, I don't know, he just didn't seem like he had too big of an issue. It's like the collective group that he associated with once he told him about it made such a big to do.
Speaker 2: I think that he kind of felt the need to like be that voice or reason.
Speaker 1: All right, So who who is? Who is this collective group?
Speaker 6: Uh so at that time, it's like, what it's Sam and Thomas Thomas n I guess you can say Spencer maybe a little bit at that time, and then obviously Aaron, and then you got like Thomas a who's there?
Speaker 5: But that that that group right there, you know, but it was really mainly just those three Thomas, Sam and Aaron. Who it was like every time I breathed there was a reason to call up arms, you know. Every time I moved or looked the wrong way, you know, there was an issue in place.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well let's get into Thomas n then because Aaron leaves. Actually, wait before we jump off of Aaron, how did it feel watching it back seeing kind of the hint he gives Jen about people might not be here for the right reasons, and do you feel like that was about you?
Speaker 4: Soulate?
Speaker 2: He told me that he told me I wasn't here for the right reasons.
Speaker 5: At on the conversation at the bar, you heard he says it like he's like, I don't think that you're here for the right reasons. So in my mind, I'm like, Okay, I know he's talking about me, like at least have the decency to say my name or something like that.
Speaker 3: You know, do you think he should have just said it to Jen, like, hey, I don't think Devin is here for the right reasons.
Speaker 2: And at that point in time, who is everyone arguing with?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't think it's very like hard to miss, you know, the direct focus of where that message could have been, you know, push, But I think it was me and I And when when she came in and said that, I immediately thought it was me that she was talking She was talking about, you know, so didn't you.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have that kind did you? And Jen then have that conversation of like, hey, Jenna, I think Aaron was talking about me.
Speaker 5: I I did not have that conversation explicitly where I said is Aaron?
Speaker 2: Was Aaron talking about me?
Speaker 5: I just made it more of a reassuring moment for her than I was there for the right reasons. I kind of just played it like I'm not even gonna pay mine to this whatever is going on externally from this guy who can't even talk to anymore, because he didn't he didn't have the decency to say it to me. He did, but he did it kind of backhandidly, and then he does it to this poor girl who is, you know, on her journey. Jenna is trying to do her thing, and she just he throws a wrench in it without any implications or any care about it.
Speaker 2: So it was it was a frustrating experience.
Speaker 5: She again, I didn't say like, oh, it is Aaron talking about me?
Speaker 2: But did I feel that way? Yes?
Speaker 5: Did I bring it up to her in that way? No, but I made it so that she was reassured.
Speaker 2: That I was.
Speaker 3: Therefore, how did it feel hearing him say and what would be your sponse to it?
Speaker 4: I guess he talks a lot about how he feels like you're.
Speaker 3: More of a boy than a man, and like you are not ready for a serious commitment or to settle down.
Speaker 5: I mean, but I could be candid about it, like it it kind of pisses me off. You know, it's it's again, we don't know each other that well, that's something that I don't would even say to you know, some friends that I have that I've been knowing for years. I think the biggest thing for me was who are you to assume you are so much better than me when we don't know each other? And and for you to kind of put yourself in my shoes when you don't know anything about me?
Speaker 1: Again, any did you ever get an answer to that question about what you basically what you just said of like you putting it back on them, like who are you? Like you don't know who I am, Like, well, did you ever get a response?
Speaker 2: They would say that.
Speaker 5: I mean, the biggest thing was like that I was two face, that I was, that I was like acting a different way than I was around everyone else, and that never changed. I mean I made the same ass of myself in front of gend a bunch of times that I did in front of the guys.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just for me.
Speaker 5: I knew when you know yourself so well, and I'm not going to say I know myself perfectly, but I think with my life experiences and things that I've gone through, I know myself very very well. You know, I know my flaws, I know my mind. The show, Yeah, thank you, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 5: I think that for me, when when I know myself that to that extent, none of these little words are going to trigger me. And I think that was what frustrated everyone so much about me, was that they were trying to assume and place this judgment and put this like mask on me that wasn't there, and I it wasn't going to bother me. You know, I was there for Jen. I had no idea about the show. I don't care about the antics or the unwritten rules or the group collective thinking that I think was going on at that time. I was just focused on her, and I think that's what rubbed a lot of the guys from away.
Speaker 1: So were there any guys that you were I mean, obviously there were, I should have phrased it like that, But who were you friends with?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Who was team?
Speaker 5: I think it's bigger than you might may expect, you know, I Jonathan was really close to me, Uh, Grant, sam N Love sam N, Brian, you know those guys.
Speaker 2: Marcus was fantastic to me. Uh, even Austin.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of the guys were very good talking points for me, because again, with with so much commotion and chaos it, you know, I'd like to say, I'm so high mighty, I don't need to like talk about it, but you know, I'd like to get some solace and some comfort from the guys in the house every now and then. And and that I think was the big defining moment. Was a lot of the guys like John and then they didn't have a problem with how I operated. It was just the small numbers that were making such a loud noise. It kind of felt like everyone was against me when it wasn't that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like it was really this Aaron versus Devin situation with a little bit of noise from a few other people. And then once Aaron left, thomas En and Sam why.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even say Thomas. I mean, thomas En kind of just seemed in Krabata almost like he was mimicking just whatever Sam was saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I don't know, but I mean we did see that big moment Thomas ed Paul at you from Jen. I feel like that was the next kind of one v one conflict that you had. What was that moment? Like walk us through that actually take us back to the conversation. Did you agree to let these eight guys who didn't get time with Jen on the group date all line up and go first and talk to Jen?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I don't know where that came from for me. I remember everybody coming back from the Safari date. They were very frustrated, you know. I got that, you know, and I'm talking to them, I'm and I'm consoling them about how to feel and whatnot. But you know, for them to assume that I said I wouldn't go first as completely asinine first of all, and second of all, in my mind, I'm, like you guys have said it, like I'm dealing with a lot right now, you know, from all different sides, in all different angles, so as twisted, and people will say that I'm this is not true. But in my mind, what I thought was the valiant effort was to go first, so that I wasn't going to bother anybody, because anything that I did at that point was going to be perceived as wrong or I was doing something against the grain of what the other guys were thinking.
Speaker 2: And I think that was that group collective thought. And Brian even said it.
Speaker 5: You know, when I was having that conversation with Jen, that maybe I was just doing that so I didn't interrupt anybody, you know, And that's that's how I felt in that moment, was like, Hey, I'm gonna be the bad guy no matter what. This is like the path of least resistance for me. Let's just get it over with. And again, had Thomas had come and said, hey, buddy, your time is up, you know, I was ready to throw in the white flag, you know, I was.
Speaker 2: I would have gotten up no problems, you know.
Speaker 5: But then obviously that didn't happen, So, Yeah, was there a part of you that was like, if I don't go first, I'm gonna have to interrupt her with one of these guys.
Speaker 3: And I would much rather just pull her than have to have this conflict like I did with Aaron, where I'm like interrupting her time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, and that was that was my.
Speaker 5: Battle in my head, was like, Okay, do I do I look like I'm taking initiative and kind of being like Devin again doing a devon moment by going first? Or am I being you know, a quote unquote bully by interrupting somebody during their time.
Speaker 2: And I don't know who it could have been.
Speaker 5: I don't want to find out, you know that have knew, because again it was I saw how that happened with Aaron already.
Speaker 2: I already felt that like shame when I was.
Speaker 5: Talking with Jen after the fact too that I even had to do that.
Speaker 2: So I wasn't gonna do that again.
Speaker 5: So that was my good guy moment, I guess, and it clearly didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back, what.
Speaker 3: Did you think of Thomas n pulling you into the hallway and you guys kind of going at it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely ridiculous?
Speaker 1: It's pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It was ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I can sit here and say the watch, I feel for the guy, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't feel for the guy in that moment.
Speaker 5: I get his frustrations, and I'll say this, I think Thomas, I feel like he's pushing himself down this path that like he doesn't really see where it's gonna end up. But I know it's disastrous form if he keeps going. So for me, I feel that in my mind. I feel that empathy for him. But the way that he handled it, I'm like, dude, this is the gotta be one of the all time dumbest things I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: I mean it had to have been. And you know, it took even me to say, like, hey.
Speaker 5: Jen, do you mind if I like get up and argue with this guy for a second, Like do you mind?
Speaker 2: And and he didn't even say hi to her, He didn't.
Speaker 5: Exactly what you saw is exactly how it happened, like grabs my arm, takes me around the corner, and then fire.
Speaker 2: Ensuits like it was. It was insane, completely.
Speaker 1: As move yees see. I didn't get that because we interviewed him he was our first interview of Your Guys season, and I just didn't really get just like a side that wants to like be involved in drama or anything like that. He was super nice in the podcast, So yeah, watching it, I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 4: Like it feels like he got carried away.
Speaker 3: But when you're having a conversation, is in the back of your mind that you're like Jen is literally right there, like she is in the hall, Like she's right in this room next to us.
Speaker 4: There's no door, oh yeah, just a doorframe.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And for me, I think the biggest thing was like I like to talk.
Speaker 5: I don't know if anybody's got that already figured out, but and I also know how to carry a conversation and flow a conversation. So in my mind, not only do I know that he's making an egregious like mistake for himself and with Jen, but I'm gonna help him flow that completely wrong and let him completely make a fool of himself.
Speaker 2: And so I'm so.
Speaker 5: I'm like, at one point I'm trying to like cut the argument off, but at another point in my mind, I'm like, all right, if you're gonna say all of these things, right here, right now.
Speaker 2: Then, I'm really gonna highlight how dumb you sound in this in this setting.
Speaker 5: So I was very very surprised that he didn't like take precaution to what Jen was saying. I'm surprised he didn't like ask me to go, you know, outside or something like that.
Speaker 2: That was a shock factor for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you think was going through his head? Like how do you think in thomas EN's mind he saw this looking and playing out?
Speaker 5: I mean there's only one way, right, there's only one way that he can possibly look good in this moment, and that's if and is like, you're right, Thomas, like all of these things that I don't know what is happening, I'm validating you for and I'm gonna agree with you. And Devin, You're gone get out right now. I can't believe that you're even still here. You're disgusting, Like that's the only way that it could have worked, And that's what are the chances of that happening?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 5: You know they're not not for my own sake, But just like, there's no way you can spend that argument the way that you did, especially how confrontational he was into a good light. There's no way that you can get that.
Speaker 1: He just he just flew off the handle and just didn't think about it. All right, So then let's get into samm the Samma of all things favorite, you know, yeah, like is it is it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Do you guys really hate each other?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is what's the situation?
Speaker 2: I don't hate anybody on the on the show. I don't hate a single person.
Speaker 5: I've been very atant that I don't hate anyone and I and I still don't hate a very strong word. It's like, at what point am I going to keep trying to pour effort into something I know I'm not going to get the results out of? You know, I I know that Sam's not gonna like me for whatever reason, and and and at this point, he hasn't even discussed these things with me.
Speaker 2: I don't even know why he doesn't like me.
Speaker 5: I have no inclination of this other than maybe that I pissed off a couple of his buddies like Aaron and Thomas.
Speaker 2: You know, I have no reasoning as to why he thinks the way he thinks of me. We do not like he.
Speaker 1: Should seem like, yeah, cause it seemed like the only conversation between you, twoe was I don't respect you. Well, I don't respect you, And that's kind of what it's like. Why there was never there was he did? He was there ever a reason like why I don't respect you?
Speaker 5: I think that he maybe thought that I could have, you know, been two faced or somehow, you know, based on the way that I've been acting.
Speaker 2: And there's no way that this is who he really is. There's got to be somebody different.
Speaker 5: But I think that I think that in my mind, the reason that Sam doesn't like me is because he's he's probably met someone like me in his life in real life that he doesn't like, and he's associating me with that person, and no matter what I say or do, it's always going to have that effect on him. I know, I'm not necessarily like the easiest guy at all times, but I'm not like a disrespectful person or anything like that. I'll make somebody laugh, you know, I'm very embracing. I'm very comforting when it comes to people. So for me, I didn't know, but in my mind, I'm like, Okay, this isn't going to change. So if it's not going to change, I might as well have a little fun with it, you know.
Speaker 3: I think you can be onto something of the like he's met someone like me, and like he's associating that. Do you think there was any element of competition with the two of you that he felt in this I think it's pretty obvious at this point in the season, but also quite early on, like Sam m gets that first impression Rose, you're pulling Jen, you're getting early on Roses as well. Do you think he looks at you potentially as a direct threat as maybe, you know, his main competitor in this fight for Jen's heart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think the difference with Sam and I is that were so polar in how we operate in life. You know, Sam, Sam's good looking guy. There's I won't say very many nice things about him, but that's one thing I'll say.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a good looking guy.
Speaker 5: And I think that he's kind of had it easy and maybe the women department a little bit, not saying that I've had such a hard time, but me and me and him we do things completely differently in life, and I think he doesn't understanding that I can achieve the same things that he's necessarily achieved by being getting all this attention, being validated by this woman that you like, you know, having these experiences with her and her enjoying it. I think that it's frustrating him that he almost sees himself as better than me. Why is this guy, you know, on the same level in Gen's eyes or maybe a little bit low. I don't know where the rankings are at this point, but you know what I mean, Like, he's just.
Speaker 1: Well you think that you think that's true? Do you think he looked looked down on you? Like I'm better than this guy? Why? Why does Jenn even like him?
Speaker 2: How about this?
Speaker 5: I'll say this, I'll say in my mind, I think he thinks he thinks he's better than me, but he doesn't know why. It's not translating into real life.
Speaker 3: The first time we see you guys kind of go head to head, because you know, we've seen you with Aaron, we've seen you with Thomas, but sam M is kind of always mixed up in it. But the first time we really see you guys go at it is over the sam N drama which sam M and sam N has just been really confusing for us this season. But sam N, for those of you listening, was the love virgin. He confesses his feelings on that down under group date. We see Sam m and Thomas have a reaction to that that is not supportive. There's a lot of laughing and a lot of teasing going on, and we see you stand up for Sam and what motivated you to speak up in defense of Sam hatton.
Speaker 2: A couple of things.
Speaker 5: One I I had been I had been the brunt of their ship for so long, you know, So it was just like that fume to a point where I was tired of hearing about it, especially like you said, like, they don't they don't confront people directly. Me if I've ever had a problem with somebody, I'll walk right up to your face and I'll say, hey, like I do we have a problem.
Speaker 2: What's our problem? If so, are we gonna fix it? If not, then we need to go our separate ways.
Speaker 5: Them they they like to, you know, whisper a little bit and kind of let that problem fester. So that was a boiling point for me. I'm the oldest brother in my family. I have a younger brother who's very like shy Uh didn't have a much harder life than me growing up, So I protected that little dude all the time. He's my best friend. He's one of the people that I look up through the most. And even though he's my younger brother, and I saw a little bit of similar characteristics. Not like saying Samn is my brother by any means, but you know, Sam just went through the ringer already, you know, with Jen, without anyone else needing to make him feel about the situation. You know, he's imagine what's going through his head in that time, not at the night portion, just wall, you know, think about it like he's he's he just said he loves you after seeing my ass on TV or on right before him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And you know he doesn't know how to feel.
Speaker 5: He's got a ride home thinking about that, then get ready for the Imagine how long that shower was, you know, probably the longest shower ever. And so for me, it was like, why kick a Why kick a man when he's already down? You know, if you're gonna if you're gonna whisper a whisper, nobody can control that.
Speaker 2: I can't stop you guys from talking wherever you guys talk.
Speaker 5: But when he's trying to have this moment where he needs us, you know, he needed us in that. Hey, I'm sorry that this kind of came off this way. And I don't even think he was doing it for us. I think he was doing it for himself, you know, to validate himself and to get shot down like that right in his face, you know, just laughing at him.
Speaker 2: I was like, fuck this too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree that that was a little Uh, that was rough. That was rough to watch the whole thing. And then then sam End's exit wasn't wasn't wasn't great? Yeah it was. That was not great between you and Sam? M was there was there ever any like nice moments of like hey, like we just both got to drink at the bar like chairs kind of like did you guys ever? Or is it just like crazy? Well, there's a part of me that's watching it, right, and I get like this feud between you guys, well, I guess there's a part of that's watching it, like maybe they both like chill out and like could kind of like make amends and and almost become friends.
Speaker 5: But no, okay, no, I am in my mind and in Sam's mind, I am the embodiment of everything that he has disagreed with his like entire life, you know, so, and but but.
Speaker 2: Also not just that. I mean, I'm friends with a lot of the guys in the house.
Speaker 5: Even at this point, you know, Sam and Thomas would isolate themselves willingly from the group and just like do their thing, and and so you know they're not They're not making it any easier for us already in this uncomfortable environment. Everyone else is like getting secondhand embarrassment or not uncomfortability, I guess the better word, you know. So it's like I'm at least trying to is what does he say? Keep the main thing, the main thing? So I'm trying, you know, I'm trying at least, and they're not, you know, So that I think is the big discrepancy between you know, Sam and I.
Speaker 3: What was your reaction seeing all of Sam EM's interviews, because there was a few episodes where he had a lot of things to say about you in his interviews, which I'm sure you know, maybe I don't know if you were sp because I know he was saying a lot to your face as well.
Speaker 4: But what was your reaction?
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, it was very telling in my mind, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he would say, like I don't respect you, or you know, I don't like you to my face, I get that, but to like call me a bitch and stuff like that behind the cameras, Like, it's very telling. Again, I'm not I'm not talking about these guys the way that they're talking about me. If I if I make a joke about them or about Sam in particular, it's usually about like I just did like to keep the main thing the main thing. It's one of those things like, you know, I'm never like taking shots. So for me to see that, and I mean, I'm not gonna lie and say I was shocked. I knew the guy didn't like me. It's just kind of funny to watch back when you say someone doesn't bother you and you're not gonna let someone bother you, and then you proceed to let them bother you so much and talk about it so much. It's very telling about what you are, you know. So I took no offense to it was like a.
Speaker 1: Whatever, I guess. Okay, let's let's move past all the all the guy drama. You have a one on one date in New Zealand with Jen. Let's talk a little bit about that and where you felt your relationship was after that date.
Speaker 4: How did you feel about the activity of your one on one date.
Speaker 2: I thought, I mean to be honest, I thought I was right up my alley.
Speaker 5: You know. It was, uh it was a break from all the chaos in my mind. You know, it was something that I needed. And when I went there and experienced this amazing culture from the Mounting people with Jen, you know, it was such a uh refreshing moment for me because again I'm I'm stressed out. I mean, I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't stressed out with all the stuff that was going on. So to have just this cutaway moment with Jen was was fantastic.
Speaker 2: And she was very very open and reciproc.
Speaker 1: How do you say that receptive?
Speaker 2: Receptive? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the reception.
Speaker 5: Was very open and receptive to how vulnerable I was getting in and and I it wasn't easy for me. I didn't really know kind of what the date was going to track to look like. You know, we did a lot of things. So to be able to talk about my life experiences and my family just helped me bond closer to her because I feel like we've had a lot of those small discussions and I want to get to the real ones, and that helped preface a lot of you know, the conversation that her and I had later on that night.
Speaker 2: So it was it was a fantastic day for us.
Speaker 5: It was a beautiful day. I said, I always like to joke I left I left the villain of me in that temple in in New Zealand, because when I walked out of that place, man, I felt like a new man with him.
Speaker 2: So it was it was great. It was great to feel.
Speaker 1: It does kind of actually that actually make sense. It does kind of seem like that as if you were it seems like that, do you now, Like, where are you with your feelings towards Jen after the state?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so so the daytime, obviously, I you know, I let her know.
Speaker 2: You know, I like her. I like her a lot.
Speaker 5: At that point, I had been feeling a certain type of way about her. I think the week leading up to that, especially with how she validated me with the group date rose.
Speaker 2: You know, she was so warm and open to me.
Speaker 5: Then you know, there were a lot of things that she had been doing for me without even realizing that made me feel strongly about her, so so going into the night portion of our date was monumental for me in my mind because it was it was the I can finally play like play like. My next piece that I really really wanted to get across from her was this is why I am the way I am. You know, It's not just some facade that I'm putting on, and and it's not some cloak or a tough guy act like, this is why I am the way I am and and all of the things that associate with that, and for her to accept that and have we had so many bonding moments during that conversation, you know, similar upbringings, similar family style, like not having it easy, you know. That was that was all the reassurance I needed to to let her know that I was falling for them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I was gonna say so never watching the show and it's it's you know, obviously not a normal situation. Can have you like looked within yourself? Can do you think you could fall in love in a situation like this?
Speaker 4: Are you surprised? By half asked?
Speaker 2: I was very surprised. I was. I was very very surprised.
Speaker 5: Again, I I didn't come into the show fully knowledgeable of how it worked. And one thing that I will will come in the show on doing is is putting you in that moment where you really have to reflect on what you want in life.
Speaker 2: You know, you all of the all of the filler.
Speaker 5: Conversations go away, right, you have to you really have to cut down to the meat and potatoes of who you are in your essence. And and it really helped me open those walls for her to see who I was, and it was it was great.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think it's one hundred percent possible.
Speaker 1: All right, So now let's let's cut to this episode, the episode that's currently aired, and we see Jens X come back, Matt, and you're one of none of the guys are happy. You're one of the guys like if he stays, I think I'm out. Would you? Was that was that real? Is that really how you felt?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And that was that was a moment that I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think that was in one of the moments where I didn't really I like to say, I think through a lot of the things that I'm gonna say versus just spewing them out, that was really just pure emotion for me, Like I I've done.
Speaker 2: I've played X games before.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's been a theme in my life in the past, and for me and and my mind to have the strength to turn all that away, I've I've turned a new chapter in my life and I'm putting it all out there for this woman that I want to see where go. And we just had an amazing one on one day. So it was personal for me, you know, those feelings were personal. I had just told her I was falling for her all of these new, developing, budding emotions that I'm you know, experiencing, and then the hammer drops. You know, some guy that dated her in the past could just take her away, and that could be that because I know how I know how easy it is to fall into that feeling of comfortability with like an ex partner in X.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did you think of Matt coming in and telling you, guys, hey, I'm not saying I'm leaving. What was your like, how did you feel hearing that he wasn't going to be joining the journey? And what was also your opinion on the guy's response to what he was saying.
Speaker 5: So for me, I was very happy that he wasn't saying you know, I mean, I don't want to deal with that that again.
Speaker 1: You and sam am at least bond over. I was gonna say we bought it.
Speaker 2: There was a very budding moment where him and I, like, I think.
Speaker 5: We found an comed Yeah, I think we had a conversation where I was like, I may hate you, you may hate me, but we both hate.
Speaker 2: This guy way more. So, Like, you know, that was like probably the one you know it was.
Speaker 5: It was it was insane to think about, you know, because I can only put myself in my shoes, right, but if I can think about what all the other guys are feeling, I don't know how far along any of these guys are in their relationships either, So you know, I can only imagine what the collective feeling is to this, you know, stranger walking in and saying, Hey, this, this girl meant so much to me in the past, and I'm gonna try and make her mean so much more to me again.
Speaker 2: That that's a very you know, drive a stake in things.
Speaker 5: So it was a very refreshing feeling to know that he was leaving, But not just because he was leaving, but because Jen.
Speaker 2: It's like you watch her grow like, I watched her grow in that moment.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we've really seen grow a lot through the season, especially in this episode.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I know where I've faltered in the past, where I've made that mistake of going back to an ex partner before and not having the strength to know that something else is better for me in my future, And to watch her kind of do that where I have failed in my life made me that much more attached to her because I was like, Wow, you've just like everything that I've tried to do in the past that I had to work so hard to get to do, or like to get to be able to be at in a place in my mind, you just did it right there.
Speaker 2: And that was amazing to see that she chose, you know.
Speaker 5: The uncomfortable moment versus just the safe and reliable what I know in the past moment. You know, it was I know something better is out there, and I want to see where that goes.
Speaker 1: I wanted him to stay. I like, rented man, all right, can you We're gonna play a quick game before you leave, but before we get into that, if you could, if you could tease the rest of the season without spoiling it. What would you.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of Oh man, there's a lot of twists and turns coming up, a lot more drama, as if you haven't seen enough already, some crazy, some crazy, crazy experiences.
Speaker 2: And yeah, hold on to your seatbelts.
Speaker 4: Boys, that's wild because the top half of your eyes.
Speaker 3: This season has been so nuts with so much drama, and then this last episode we were saying, Okay, it's really died down. I feel like we're we're slowing down on the drama front. So to hear that there's still a lot more twists and turns to come is interesting.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's gonna be an incredible season for sure.
Speaker 1: Nice. All right, we're gonna play rapid fire. Get to know Devin. First thing that comes to your head? You ready, ready?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Who is your first concert?
Speaker 2: Drake?
Speaker 1: Go to comfort? Movie or TV show? Uh?
Speaker 2: Go to comfort a TV show? Oh crap, this is rapid.
Speaker 1: Fire, right, this is rapid Give us if you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay. How to lose guy?
Speaker 1: Today's okay? What is your signature cocktail?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Dirty dirty Martini vodka?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the word ferocious love?
Speaker 2: I'm still trying to define ferocious what it means?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Can you define it? Because I defined what I thought it?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: Can you define what you think it means? Real quick?
Speaker 2: I think I.
Speaker 5: Think ferocious in my mind means leaving everything out there, but putting your best intent with it. Just because it's it's a different approach doesn't make it wrong, all right?
Speaker 1: Favorite favorite group date activity so far?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: The comedy Rouss was fun.
Speaker 1: Dream vacation destination.
Speaker 2: Italy.
Speaker 1: Favorite food or cuisine chicken Pormejean killer something. Uh yeah, yeah, something on your bucket list?
Speaker 5: Skydive, but I don't know if I want to do it anymore after seeing all these people jump out of planes.
Speaker 1: Don't do it? Error air, early bird or night owl.
Speaker 2: I'm an early bird.
Speaker 1: Go to pizza order?
Speaker 5: Uh, it's the Oh, it's the hot and honey. It's like it's like the hot honey sauce with the ham and the Pepperoni's on top.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: What's the first thing you do if you won the lottery?
Speaker 2: Change my phone number?
Speaker 1: What is one thing we don't know about you but we should?
Speaker 4: Those ones are always hard?
Speaker 2: M h. I look better with the beard.
Speaker 1: If you could sum up this season on the Bachelorette. Just using one word, what would that word be?
Speaker 2: Intense?
Speaker 1: Devin, that is an episode your first podcast. You did great. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: No, I appreciate it. Joe, Thank you guys, and.
Speaker 1: To our listeners, thank you for tuning in to Bachelor Happy Hour. We really appreciate it. And we have new guest, new interviews every week of GEN season, and recaps, so don't miss.
Speaker 4: Be sure to tune in too Gen season of The Baucherrette.
Speaker 3: Subscribe to Bauchler Happy Hour and thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Bye,