Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick shot streaming live on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 2: And the official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 1: Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, come on, good, what a minutes not work?
Speaker 2: Can I heard around that? I heard it? No you didn't. I was a sneeze. That's what I was wanting.
Speaker 4: I have the fight song.
Speaker 3: No, we don't have time for that. Stuffs talking about. Alright, there we go on mixed shots.
Speaker 2: Ever take it? You got it. There were la la la la.
Speaker 4: We're on the twenty twenty five officially, now.
Speaker 2: Right, and you have and this is a football player.
Speaker 4: There is one football player on the football field, just a had some rehab out there. Maybe at zeke he can still be picked up. He can be picked up by one of these days available right, All right, this is your one hour warning or is it one hour and fifteen minute warning?
Speaker 5: Well, the start of the press conference on time.
Speaker 4: It's at eleven am. Press conference today, Brian Schottenheimer, your new head coach.
Speaker 2: And you guys were right, You guys were right.
Speaker 3: I didn't think they would have a coach at this point, and you guys said they would, So you got me on that.
Speaker 4: We eliminated Kellen Moore a week ago.
Speaker 2: Basically a week ago.
Speaker 4: It was last Tuesday that we said that we thought we'd be talking about a new head coach on Monday. And that's right, you have it, a new head coach, and we've got two teams in the Super Bowl, Kansas City and Philadelphia. And enough about that, let's move on to twenty twenty five and the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: You guys were kind of huddled together after I left after the show, as if y'all were scheming or something.
Speaker 2: Scheming.
Speaker 3: Did y'all have anything to do with this last that was last last.
Speaker 2: Month, Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday. Yes, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: By the way, before we get started on all that, ever, since this is the anniversary of a big day in your life.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: What day is it?
Speaker 5: January twenty seventh?
Speaker 4: Yep, nineteen ninety one?
Speaker 2: Oh? Was that what we won?
Speaker 4: Wide right? January twenty January twenty.
Speaker 2: Seventh, And I thought it was intol February.
Speaker 4: No, No, it wasn't until later that they started playing the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I don't feel any different.
Speaker 5: Also feel older, you're one year old.
Speaker 2: I don't feel anything happier thinking about that.
Speaker 3: Moment was a happy moment, though, it was a glorious moment.
Speaker 2: Tears.
Speaker 3: I told you about the silly press conference. I was finally waiting to make my moment, you know, with the media all around after the game, and I started crying, and as I wiped my eyes, they were all going to other areas to inter because LT.
Speaker 2: Good job ever since, see you later.
Speaker 1: It's also the eighty year anniversary, the celebration of the liberation of Aswitzchwitz. Schwitz can't spit it up.
Speaker 3: I've been watching those movies recently, a few of those movies on Yeah, crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: Man, was this a diversionary tactic?
Speaker 1: No? No, you just said it was an anniversary. I said, well it was another in Hey, well we're going to be did I write? Why is that?
Speaker 2: I have to mention?
Speaker 3: I lost my running back, my full back from Grambling State University. He was part of about nineteen eighty Black college championship team at Grambley State University. Robert Parham ended up getting a Grambling Hall of Fame. He died of a heart attack, and he was a heck of a fullback. He's one of those guys that was he was a smart runner, but he wasn't talented.
Speaker 2: He knew where his blockers were at all times, and.
Speaker 3: He reminded me a lot of Le'Veon bell On how he was able to follow his blockers from step to step and maximize, uh, every every carry that he had. So I just had to mention that since since you bringing up Auschwitz so.
Speaker 1: Well, they brought up yesterday. I forgot it was five years Kobe.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh, they were saying, remembering Kobe, I did see that this morning and.
Speaker 4: It was it was a Sunday morning too, all right, So get that out eleven o'clock press conference this morning.
Speaker 5: And it's gonna be a big show.
Speaker 1: By the way, it got a age set up.
Speaker 4: Did you come through the front door upstairs or did you go to the back door?
Speaker 2: You always anyone's all still work.
Speaker 4: All set up, all set up in the atrium area here at the Star. It's going to be a big shindig. Of course, carried live here Dallas Cowboys dot Com. I'm sure all the local TV.
Speaker 5: Station stations were all prom.
Speaker 4: NFL Network probably be carrying it live, and so here we go. It's the Brian Schottenheimer erab Dallas Cowboys football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are the Cowboys. I think Ben Johnson got a live interview in Chicago.
Speaker 2: That is a good point, Bro, that is a good point. Ben.
Speaker 3: Just hide the side boom, Let's go home, you know, let's let's get ready to move.
Speaker 4: Is Pete Carroll the biggest news that happened in Vegas that day?
Speaker 3: Well, we saw him running around out there on the football field. That's about it passes. That was his celebration.
Speaker 5: So yeah, this is tenth tenth time.
Speaker 1: Cowboys of ten head coach and coach nine by Jerry And.
Speaker 4: The announcement came down at eight thirty or so.
Speaker 1: On eight forty five somewhere in there, and I had to spring in the action to kind of rewrite my column.
Speaker 2: Who'd you think it would be? Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought, by then that's what was going to happen. He I had to write, and I didn't want to wait till eight o'clock at night to start, So I thought I was covering myself. And I wrote about how you know the Cowboys, this whole thing is about continuity. And I said one of the biggest parts of the continuity was the fact that the Cowboys have Will McLay here and they have some continuity in their front office. Not saying he's the general manager, but he's sort of the kind.
Speaker 5: Of like general manager.
Speaker 1: And I was pointing out that just because you hire a general manager is not the panacea of success in the NFL panacea, because there was five teams out there looking for new gms, right and I was listening what all the other teams do, but the Cowboys still had Mike McCarthy. And then I kind of switched it to say, well, here's the reason also why they are hiring Brian Schottenheimer as the new head coach, to continue some continuity on the offense where you've spent the majority of your salary cap funds on the offense, and you better take care of the offense.
Speaker 5: And so I thought this was a move to be able to do.
Speaker 1: That, because whoever you hired elsewhere as the head coach, the first question in the interview had to be who's your offensive court because you didn't just lose a head coach, you lost your offensive coordinator too. Now do you want to start from scratch for the third time? In five years or do you want to continue with what you had going on? And I think that's probably the one of the main reasons that Brian Schottenheimer is now the Cowboys head coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as far as the higher is concerned. To me, personnel is personnel. It's it's the people that you have working for you underneath that. To me, I've always thought that, Uh, the figurehead is there and that's the way it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: He's gonna take all the blame.
Speaker 3: But those guys, those minions, for lack of a better term, uh, they better be able to work and better be able to communicate. So along with Schottenheimer, we've let go of a few guys as well, right.
Speaker 5: Well they left, I mean.
Speaker 4: They're all under not under contract officially. We know of John Fossil's moving on to Tennessee. Al harris has moved on to Chicago. Mike McCarthy has an interview supposedly midweek with New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Oh he does, okay, because I was saying I haven't seen him.
Speaker 4: Seen reports that he midweek should have an interview with New Orleans.
Speaker 5: I think between him and Kelly could.
Speaker 4: Be and so then and I think they can go ahead and talk with Kellen this week. Of course they couldn't become of course, it's another couple of weeks before he would become available. And let's let's also Joe Brady would be another one. You would think that New Orleans might be talking to you.
Speaker 5: I read something he took his name out.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, And let's.
Speaker 1: Also understand this. Everybody's like, what had an interview Ben Johnson? They didn't interview Aaron Glenn, shocking that one day after they lost. Each of them had a job right, that was planned out. The agents had all that knocked out way.
Speaker 5: Ahead of time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like, oh, let's interview this guy, Oh let's hire him. No, that was.
Speaker 4: Worked out well in those interviews, virtual interviews taking place previously. And so that was the criticism about the process for the Cowboys. Is waiting on the Mike McCarthy decision, where you missed the opportunity to interview virtually Aaron Glenn or Ben Johnson January. You could have during for the for Detroit, a team with a first round by that they were able to conduct interviews. But it just tells you that they were not on the radar.
Speaker 2: No they were not not at all.
Speaker 5: He was right and here's the exactly, here's here's the weird thing.
Speaker 4: And I understood he wasn't missing an opportunity. He had already made the decision that those aren't guys that fit here.
Speaker 1: You know, And I think Aaron Glenn is going to be a great leader. But the first question is who's your offensive coordinator?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So you know, the Cowboys got criticized in two thousand and seven because they bout interviewed ten people before they settled on Wade Phillip.
Speaker 4: They did what the Chicago Bears did this Right, now.
Speaker 1: They're getting criticized that they only interviewed three people, and it's like two of those I guarantee you they were fishing for a defensive coordinator because you can interview Salah right, and who was the.
Speaker 5: Leslie Fraser?
Speaker 1: You can interview those guys right for a head coaching job, but you can also pick their brain about your defense, right, So it's not and it's just like now all these names are coming out for offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. Well, I think Matt eberflu is going to be the defensive coordinator. Whoever's the offense is is going to be the next Brian Schottenheimer because the head coach is going to take care of the offense. But while you're interviewing these guys for those jobs, because it's an upgrade, you can also pick their brain about well, I see you coached wide receivers, or I see you coach linebackers, and you can pick their brain about that too.
Speaker 5: You're not just.
Speaker 1: Limited to talking about the coordinator job. So there's ways around things that people just don't understand well.
Speaker 3: To me, once again, figurehead is one thing, but we do have an opportunity to start over in some areas. Whoever he hires for to coach the defensive back, to replace Al Harris, whoever he has to replace your special teams coach, those are the guys that I'm hoping they are going to be really fierce coaches that are going to bring a type of a culture here. You know that's not necessarily better than last year, but it's definitely gonna be different. Bring something fresh to the table and let us see, you know what it's going to be like to have a different energy around here, someone who he might be able to communicate better with the DBS than Al Harris, he might be a guy that comes with something different than.
Speaker 2: Al Harris came with. And I love Al Harris. I wish he would have stayed here. But if you're going to bring.
Speaker 3: In someone different, then let that man do his job and hopefully it can add to something positive and like I said, create a different culture around here.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you just need a different voice.
Speaker 1: I remember when Barry Switzer got let go, before it even happened, I was walking down the hallway at the ranch and I ran into Ernie Zampeazi and he was like, Oh, we're all out of here. He goes, We're out of here. He goes, you know, he goes, you know, I've been doing this here for what was it, four years? And he said, sometimes you just need a different voice. And he was right, yeah, because they were all hot or the majority of course, right, and they brought in you know, that's when they brought in chan Gaily. But again, if you look at.
Speaker 5: Their history of hiring head coaches.
Speaker 1: The success was always banked on who the offensive.
Speaker 4: Coordinator was, and I think it basically came down to whether they were going to hire Brian Schottenheimer or Kellen Moore, right, and I think they they did talk with Pete Carroll. But what you're looking at there is if they had hired Pete Carroll, then Brian Schottenheimer would have been the offensive coordinator slash play caller, right, okay, and so but I and getting back to Schottenheimer versus Kellen Moore, I think the quarterback was a driving force.
Speaker 3: Shot out about it. Yeah, no doubt about that. We even talked about it last week. Yeah, yeah, we said that that's what he liked, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily that he didn't like Kellen Moore, but I think he probably preferred Shottenheimer. And then I think from the standpoint of the traits you look for in a head coach, being able to command a room and so forth. Shottenheimer also Phil has that.
Speaker 6: Yes, I've never I believe in talk just hearing I've heard him.
Speaker 1: Talk stay for the press, okay, Okay, yeah, he because they in.
Speaker 4: Fact, during the season, you know, the coordinators do their press conference on Monday of the week, okay, And so they shot in the Heimer and Zimmer and Fossil would talk to the media and it wasn't You could find it. You could find it on Dallas Cowboys dot com or YouTube or whatever. But you usually the local TVs and radio they're not using those because they use the head coach. I would tell her producers at CBS, I would say, let's use some Schottenheimer. I love hearing what Schottenheimer has to say, and I didn't listen to it very much. He's just got it.
Speaker 5: He can command the room.
Speaker 4: He has well. And I did have gone on YouTube and seen some of the speeches that the dad made and but Shot you could just see hear how sharp he is he was, and how well he knew other players around them, like the opponents and this guy you know, you give up a little nugget about in the background on whoever.
Speaker 2: It might be.
Speaker 4: Uh. And so I think he's gonna he probably from day one here connected well with Will McLay from a scouting standpoint. I think that's a very important thing. But it's a very important thing for the head coach to be in lockstep with your vice president of player personnel and with Stephen Jones. I think both Will and Steven they were on team Shotty Uh from the get go on this myself, having not talked to either one of them about it, but I can see and you can see where Schottenheimer developed a very quickly a good relationship with Dak Prescott because he has those people's skills. He connects with people.
Speaker 3: Well, is there any Is there any chance that Brian would hire another assistant, just an assistant head coach.
Speaker 4: There is a chance.
Speaker 2: That's about what I'm hoping, you know, bring some color in here.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see Leslie Fraser come in here and work with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I mean, is there is he thinking.
Speaker 4: About I would think that there will be people along those lines. Yeah, all right, and let's get into that a little bit when we come back here on mixed shots.
Speaker 7: In just a moment, Cowboys football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff? Tailgate's going way past post game Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the Crew, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only pier of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 5: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store.
Speaker 1: Letter Rip Troy all.
Speaker 8: Right, folk, let's get started with Yediy, French Press and Jeor kalb. This stays hot Friers and French Press. Thirty four ouns for U six four for the cruise of Yetty French Press. Put mixed waterproof bags, bags of waterproofs and Ersta Waterproof Double's waterproof bag bag Sports mostly water.
Speaker 1: Should get a waterproof Yetti bag.
Speaker 2: Gont smell something cooking.
Speaker 8: New cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, commerce pot pine and potatoes. Next over with three sizer of the Yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 9: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at South lake Town Square Today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Scott kits it slid for the first.
Speaker 6: Down invest like your icons, where everyone is a rookiean crypto with blockchain dot com perfect.
Speaker 4: Grow my goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: The Mint Shotts.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 3: Amanda Foster has been named you a twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. Vote for Amanda to be named the Ultimate NFL Fan of the Year at NFL dot com Slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 4: All right, we continue with mix shines. We're leading you up to the press conference, which you can hear right here starting at eleven AM or thereabouts, Brian Schottenheimer, the new head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. We were talking about the potential makeup of the staff. Mickey's already touched upon Matt Eberflus being a candidate and the likely defensive coordinator here, and there's been a number of candidates that have been mentioned for other positions on the staff and Everson throughout who might aston head coach? B And I think that here's the deal with Schottenheimer is he's been around. I mean, we're talking a guy with twenty five years of NFL experience, and he prior to coming here, and of course in twenty twenty two, he was an analyst here on the defensive side of the football, looking at that more so than the offense at that time, because that was the year Kellen Moore was the offensive coordinator here. Prior to that, he was with Jacksonville for a year, hired by Urban Meyer as a pass game coordinator. Prior to that, for three years, he was the offensive coordinator under Pete Carroll with the Seahawks. He was quarterbacks coach at Indianapolis for two years prior to that, for one year the Georgia offensive coordinator and who was with the Saint Louis Rams for three years as an offensive coordinator from twenty twelve to twenty fourteen. They had absolutely no weapons. Taevon Austin. Danny Amandola led them in receptions in twenty twelve, and Tavon Austin was their first round draft pick, number eight overall, and he was probably their best threat offensively. Nothing against Tavon Austin, but there were not much in the way of weapons there. So there was. Sam Bradford was there his first year, got hurt his second year, and they had Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Sean Hill Hill as his quarterbacks prior to that. Ever since.
Speaker 1: Here, no, I was gonna say because I've.
Speaker 4: The last two we mentioned, Austin Davis and Sean Hill were undrafted quarterbacks, and.
Speaker 1: I've made a list of the quarterbacks he got to deal with when he's been an offensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: And prior to that, he got Mark Sanchez and the Jets to the AFC Championship.
Speaker 1: As a rookie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in two thousand and nine, they led the league in rushing.
Speaker 1: And they went to the AFC title game twice during his time there.
Speaker 4: But my point on mentioning all of that is the fact and then he coached with his dad prior to that with the Chargers and going back to when he got out of college at Florida where he's the backup quarterback on a national championship team in nineteen ninety six, he coached with his dad in Kansas City, I think Green Bay maybe for one year. But anyway, all of that to say, he's got a lot of connections around the league and so it'll be interesting to see And a lot of that has to do with availability though too, and so.
Speaker 1: Man, there's a lot of guys availabile available availability.
Speaker 4: Because you have seven all these coaching changes.
Speaker 1: So Staff's got basically, you know, tore up. Well, here's the list of his quarterbacks he's had, starting with the Jets Okay in six, Chad Pennington for two years, Brett Favre at the end of his career two thousand and eight, and then Bill mentioned Mark Sanchez as a rookie. They started a raw rookie in two thousand and nine. They went to the AFC title game with a rookie. Then he mentioned the Rams, Sam Bradford for one year. Sam Bradford gets hurt, gets hurt again, and then it was Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Sean Hill.
Speaker 5: He goes to Seattle and he gets Russell.
Speaker 1: Wilson, and if I got my notes right, that season with twenty twenty with Seattle, they scored a club record four hundred and fifty nine points. Russell Wilson had forty touchdowns passing that year, and they averaged twenty eight point seven points a game. After that, he ended up as the past game coordinator in Jacksonville with a rookie quarterback who started maybe before he was ready, Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 5: So again, well and that what happened with urban Meyer that year?
Speaker 4: I mean that Yeah, it was down though too.
Speaker 1: I mean he had to work for two different head coaches at that time. So it's not like he's had who's who of quarterbacks to deal with during his career. Because a lot of people say, well, he's had all these coordinator jobs.
Speaker 5: What did he do well? Okay, but who did he have right?
Speaker 4: Well? And here's one thing they got a voice to me last night, Well, how is anything going to be different when you've got the same guy that was on the staff with Mike McCarthy. How are things going to be different than when Mike McCarthy was here, And.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that same question.
Speaker 1: Sounds like he had some ideas.
Speaker 4: We just we just went through the entire coaching staff and how many coaches are going to stick around?
Speaker 5: Maybe one or two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, and how many people? How many coaches are on a coaching staff, like twenty, yes, so we're talking virtually the entire coaching staff is going to be different. That's how things are going to be different. And just because Brian Schottenheimer was the offensive coordinator doesn't mean he's going to call the plays like Mike McCarthy called the place.
Speaker 3: That's what I was saying earlier. I don't really care who the head coach is. I want to see what these guys down here are going to do. This is what a coach has created down here. Of course, the coach can talk all he wants, The head coach can talk all he wants, but if his assistant coaches in on the same type of feelings in the same type of direction, then you're wasting your time.
Speaker 4: In this quarter. And this coach has a jump start on any coach you brought in here, because he's been here for three years. He knows how it works here behind the scenes, and he knows the ross or backwards and forwards and uh.
Speaker 3: And he is bringing in uh, how do you say his name? Uh, the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Matt Eberflees, and he is he is a lot, he's on a lot. He's going to be here.
Speaker 1: Well it's not official official, but they're going to talk to him about it.
Speaker 3: With somebody like that has a hell of a defense And here's another guy.
Speaker 1: Wasn't his problem as the head coach?
Speaker 2: No, it was not.
Speaker 4: And we've seen countless times where very good coordinators haven't turned out to be very good head coaching. And we'll see what happens with Schottenneimer here. But he does have the traits and.
Speaker 1: Or very good head coaches didn't turn into head coaches until they had a really good offensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: Nor turner. Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 1: You saw what you went through.
Speaker 2: With Dave Shula.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't my fault. He snitched on me, so he snitched on me to Daddy.
Speaker 2: So no.
Speaker 3: So, But truly, the culture can be created on different levels, and that's what I want around. It is something different to where when we go into a game, we're not thinking completely thinking offense. When we go into a game, I want us to be known here comes the Cowboys, and boy, their defense is a hell of a defense. That's what I want people to think when they think about us. Yes, we got offense, easy to sign. It's easy to notice on offense what's out there. But when you start talking about defense, you've got.
Speaker 2: Some very.
Speaker 3: How can I put it underrated ways or hidden ways where you can have a good defense without it having to be so overblown. It can be a culture that's like, you know, part of this entire building, without you having to go out and have superstars necessarily on at every position.
Speaker 4: By the way, as far as ibra Flus is concerned, he was the linebackers coach here from twenty eleven to twenty fifteen. Sewn Lee was the linebacker.
Speaker 3: And then he boy, I haven't drooling like that in a long time.
Speaker 4: Then twenty sixteen and seventeen he added the title passing game coordinator to his title. And I just know, and Mickey knows from experience here, Yeah, Rod Marinelli was the defensive coordinator and even Prior to that, you had Rob Ryan here. Ibra Flus had a major role in what was going on defensively, even when he was just a position coach.
Speaker 5: I think he might have come here with.
Speaker 4: Rob Ryan. Yeah, twenty eleven. That makes sense.
Speaker 5: Because he was in Cleveland when Rob why.
Speaker 4: That's track was in that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Jason Garrett's first year as the head coach was twenty eleven and that's when heber flew his ulti year.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, because prior to that he was defensive coordinator University of Missouri.
Speaker 4: By the way, Okay, seven and eight, and by the way, those were really good years at Missouri, made it all the way to the Big twelve championship game. Who'd they play this?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately they ran in Oklahoma twice.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have to know that. I knew.
Speaker 3: You didn't even have to say I knew that's what The only reason he brought that up was simply because of that Oklahoma reference.
Speaker 4: So what are you thinking, Mickey?
Speaker 1: So getting him as the defensive coordinator and obviously he knows people, and they're already talking to some people and I see all this stuff. That's like they're bringing in this guy as a coordinator. They're not going to name them the coordinator, but they may name them a position coach. And I think a different voice sometimes. I think nothing against Dan Quinn with Michael Parsons, but I think he took another step working with Mike Zimmer. It was a different voice and and and sometimes that that helps. And maybe in the secondary, you know, whoever they bring in to do that, that a different voice may help these guys. Maybe you can get Trayvon Diggs two when he's on the team and you're going through warm ups, the stretch and whatever, that he might do it with the rest of the team instead of over to the side by himself with Parsons like their own little group there. Maybe another voice comes in and goes, hey, no, that's not the way I do things. And sometimes that that's what you need.
Speaker 3: And it depends sometimes it just depends on who that word comes from, right, that might be It might it might be a guy who means well, and I'm just gonna pick Harris.
Speaker 2: Let's say Harris means well.
Speaker 3: We know he's a great coach, but let's just say his words fell deaf on certain player's ears. Well, then this other uh person in the same this other coach in the same position. His way of saying it, it might appeal to the players better. And yeah, I know that sounds a little prima donash right, Well, I didn't like the way that sounded.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you just.
Speaker 3: Uh gravitate towards other people for no particular reason, just by by the way his demeanor is.
Speaker 1: And think about this. Think about when you were young and whatever, you were playing whatever level, and you had played for this guy. Yeah, and then the new coach came in. You got your ass and gear right because you wanted to prove yourself to the new guy that.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm I'm worth it, right, And you might have tried.
Speaker 3: But it's easier if that new guy comes in and says something that clicks.
Speaker 5: And you hear right, and and you know what you like?
Speaker 1: He knows, Yes, had a new coach come in.
Speaker 3: And to go, that's not what you want. You want the other side of that, and that can't happen. It has happened to me, It's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: I heard.
Speaker 3: I can't ever think of his name. The coach for Atlanta Falcons, head coach Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Falcons right now, Raheem Morris, yeah, Raheem Morris.
Speaker 3: I was there in Tampa and I heard how Raheem Morris spoke to his defensive back group, which is a great group. You had, Uh the guy from Bergner a Khalid you had?
Speaker 2: You had?
Speaker 3: Was it a god? Was it one of the brothers who was one of the safeties out there? The dbs were very good there as a group. And the way he taught those.
Speaker 4: Guys a lot of brothers playing safety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why they're good there. But I havn't said that. Yeah, you had players on that squad. The way he spoke to them, I just sat in on the meeting and the way he spoke to the terminology that he used, the way he connected with him, It's like they were all connected on the.
Speaker 2: Same string in the same room. That's coaching. To me.
Speaker 3: He had that presence in that locker room, in that meeting room, and I was just sitting back because they allowed me to come into listen to his game plan and to me the way he said things, it made me visualize what I needed to do before I actually did it.
Speaker 4: That's great that you mentioned it, Rahie Morris, because I randomly during the season when I went behind enemy Lines. Listening to Atlanta the week of the Atlanta again, Yeah, and I'm listening to Raheem Morris would come on a local radio station and he was great talking and and Schottenheimer's got that same ability and shot. It comes so naturally. That's I'm excited about if I get the opportunity to host the Brian Schottenheimer Show.
Speaker 1: I don't I won't even have to prepare for that. I just throw.
Speaker 4: A popping out there and you'll just run with it.
Speaker 2: But to make up.
Speaker 4: But it's that ability to communicate.
Speaker 3: It's the verbiage, know exactly how to use those words to where mentally you can see exactly what they're talking.
Speaker 4: Why Raheem Morris was targeted early that this guy is going to be a head coach in this league.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: I've sat there, and I've been in the meeting rooms with some hell of the coaches, and the way he just this is the way he verbalized everything's like that. I was gonna say, my Tomas the same type of thing. I sat there and I went the way he said that. It made me think I can go out and do that drill right now. But I'm forty five years old. Right, So, but that's what he made you feel, I said, in my mind, I'm thinking that's exactly how I would have tried to explain that to another defensive bag group.
Speaker 1: And I'll guarantee you that for this press conference today, Schottenheimer will be pre prepared for whatever gets thrown at him, because some of it's not gonna be friendly. It's gonna be some some unfriendly fire.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, first of all, you know what's gonna be the number one thing? How are you gonna run this team? If you got your owner always over your shoulder, that's gonna be. It'll that's gonna be. That's why you.
Speaker 5: Interviewed for a head coaching job. Things like that. He'll be prepared.
Speaker 1: I'll go out on a limb right now and say he'll have answers for everything comes his way.
Speaker 2: All right, my man, I have to go prepared.
Speaker 4: Over Let's go to brightv Carry On thirteen Mixed Shots continues in Them All or eight.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 3: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 1: Slides for the first down.
Speaker 6: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: Want to stay at the.
Speaker 3: Team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas. Tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 7: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 2: What a pairing can.
Speaker 7: Cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like middle Time, Celebrate responsibly twenty twenty three Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas devict Shots.
Speaker 3: The biggest names in tennis head to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco this February. Witness the top ranked Casper Rude and former Dallas Open champion American Tommy Paul dazzle the court as the Dallas Open moves to a new home. Catch all the hard hitting action and watch the top players on tour compete. Live Tickets are available now at SeatGeek dot com.
Speaker 5: I should have asked this on air, but is this just men's or.
Speaker 3: It must be women here, it must be, but Bill's not here to look it up.
Speaker 1: So did you catch Madison Keys winning the Australian Open?
Speaker 2: And it's about time. Boy, she's been struggling for years.
Speaker 1: I know it was a It was a pretty neat thing to see, especially figuring out who she beat, because that girl not only is she good, she's huge and took her down.
Speaker 3: Well, Madison's I've always I've watched her since she came into UH to the pros, and it's all the problem with her has always been a footwork. It's a little bit slow. Yeah, she's just a little bit slow, but her power is there. Boy, the accuracy is there.
Speaker 5: She didn't hold back, she went after it. I enjoyed watching.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that's gonna end up being a catapult for her. Yeah she should. She should be doing better than she's doing than she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's coming up soon. East West Shrine Games Week Thursday at at and T Stadium. They're already practicing out at North Texas and we kind of skipped right over the conference championship games.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I had the bills.
Speaker 3: Thought I thought they were I thought this was the time that he was gonna do it.
Speaker 1: So do you think they got jobbed on the fourth and one?
Speaker 2: I think, how can I put this?
Speaker 1: It's like everybody that watched it on TV thought he had the first down Allen when the quarterback sneak.
Speaker 2: We never saw a good angle from the camera, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean I wanted to see the angle from the guy that spotted it as a first.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see if we could see the ball. I wanted to.
Speaker 3: See Josh front side, a better shot of him front side so I could see where the ball was, because once he turned, it compromised everything in regards to what the referees and what you.
Speaker 2: Called that gave him.
Speaker 3: That opened the door for the referees to kind of screw it up a little bit because he didn't really if I think if he stay forward and just done what he always did and just you know, put it over there. But Casey was ready for that every time. And I gotta give Chris Jones man some love this guy. First of all, you see him, he was crying there.
Speaker 1: The entire he was crying a national answer.
Speaker 2: I think he cried the entire game.
Speaker 3: But what you saw was even though the stats didn't show it all for him.
Speaker 2: I think they had him with like two tackles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that did not depict how instrumental he was in controlling that line of scrimmage for the Kansas City Chiefs. Because even though they were pretty successful over fifty percent on the tush push and all that kind of stuff, those key moments such as the fourth down, it's when he really showed what the leader he is, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, where is his flowers?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What is his follower?
Speaker 3: Absolutely everyone's talking about Mahomes And we saw Kelsey off the interview and Taylor smith Man, where is Chris.
Speaker 2: Jones talked to that man?
Speaker 3: Been on the stage man, I mean the emotions that he had, it all added to uh, you know, positivity, It added to production.
Speaker 2: It made him a better player that day.
Speaker 1: They even had Cousins spags on. I didn't talk to him, you know. And and Romo pointed out, I can't remember. It was the first time they were at the goal line and they were going to run the quarterback sneak and he said that Alan generally doesn't go up the middle. He goes over left guard, and I'll be darned if that's not where.
Speaker 2: Twice and they would they they knew it. And that's what he pointed out.
Speaker 3: Casey knows this as well, right, because they were ready for it.
Speaker 2: Once again, they were like six for nine on that.
Speaker 3: But it was the ones that they didn't convert is what hurt the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 5: Did the Eagles surprise you?
Speaker 3: No, they played just when you look, when you look at the Cowboys season, as bad as it was, we were in pretty much every game except.
Speaker 2: For two, that's right, those were the ones. Those Eagles games.
Speaker 1: They almost beat the Commanders twice, right, beat them once and had the lead nineteen what was it, sixteen?
Speaker 3: And here comes here comes the Commander magic out of no where. Somebody screws up and next thing you know, they sneak out the wind.
Speaker 1: Well, nothing against dan Quinn because he did a hell of a job, but you can't give up two hundred and twenty nine yards, right and you Kevin touchdown.
Speaker 3: You can't have your offense fumbling the ball three or four times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know that that's on him, but to lose four, no.
Speaker 2: That is not on him. But that's where he had to overcome, right, Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: When you give up that many was keeping notes, right, Barkley had two touches for two touchdowns and it's.
Speaker 5: Fourteen to three.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Uh, pretty good super Bowl coming up in New Orleans.
Speaker 5: You got anything to do there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I gotta carry your.
Speaker 2: Pass me where all the big parties follow.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we gotta get ready to get you a hand off to the press conference. Cowboys announcing today. Press conference posts a scheduled start at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 5: Brian Shott and Himer.
Speaker 1: As the cowboys tenth head coach in the franchise history, thanks to Bill Everson Mickey, and we'll be back with Mick shots next Mondays.
Speaker 2: See you then, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 7: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.