Speaker 1: Everybody is still Courtney from an army in normal folks. Welcome into the.
Speaker 2: Shop, really making it artistic here, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Bill? Hey, Alex, welcome to the shop.
Speaker 2: Welcome in Bill, No, it's my shop.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you.
Speaker 2: How are you at our shop? We're not co founders of this thing, not of the shop, the shop, the shops.
Speaker 3: Me I am you were entering my domain in the shop.
Speaker 2: Very true. How are you? I'm doing well?
Speaker 1: How's George?
Speaker 4: Actually, so he went on the bed delivery. I was telling you about last night. Maybe i'll just share this story quickly.
Speaker 3: George did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he hung out with the little boy the whole time, which is really cute. So this is the Oxford so our Oxford Service Club an F. Oxford also started the Sleeping Emily Peace chapter, which set started a chapters. Real cool, so we'd have a great act TV to do. Was kind of my theory, which is which is proven to be true. Like, because you know I also started the sleephn Li Peace chapter. We completely control it so we can kind of do whatever you know, we want with it. So today we built and delivered thirty five beds. We've raised thirty three thousand dollars We've probably got in one hundred different people in Oxford involved in it.
Speaker 1: How many people? What's the population of Oxford twenty.
Speaker 4: Thousand, Yeah, like twenty five and then not including students. So yeah, the number is like sleepn lip says three to four percent of kids in America are bedless, So that would be two hundred eighty two kids in Mafaya County. And we've already got in like seventy six requests in a couple of months. That's incredible. Yeah, So I mean it's definitely there's something there. And the one we just did yesterday, Child Protective Services called me because they've someone introduced me to them recently and said, hey, we need beds for these kids, for three kids, and if these kids don't get beds, they go into the foster care system. So that's like the most meaningful type of you know work we can do, you know with this.
Speaker 1: So you guys made beds and got them to the kids in toime, so that Child Protective Services didn't pull these kids out of their face.
Speaker 4: I'd actually asked them on the phone, like, Hey, what's your deadline this like like if you can get it before the fourth of July holiday that would be good.
Speaker 1: And so then you got the service club together and said, we really need to build these beds for these kids or else they're going in foster care.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't think of a more meaningful service club event than that.
Speaker 2: It was kind of cool, like another layer on it.
Speaker 4: We've we were out of our current bed supply, so we actually built ten beds on Friday for this purpose and in general, and it was with a service camp that my church does with little kids. So it's like ten to thirteen year old kids, right, the ten beds on Friday. That then we're used on Sunday to help other kids not go in the system.
Speaker 2: And George was hanging out. I love that.
Speaker 1: I really do love that.
Speaker 4: We're all just people, right, It's just like they just meet in that moment and become friends.
Speaker 1: Can you believe this?
Speaker 3: Talk?
Speaker 1: Number one one one.
Speaker 2: And our guest today runs the one one one projects? Is that weird? Is that so weird?
Speaker 4: Listeners won't get the reference until you hear the episode with the one on one projects?
Speaker 1: The one one one project, Yeah, it's coming.
Speaker 2: Up, it's coming up, but it's funny though.
Speaker 1: Well by this time this airs, maybe no, this will air before this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the shop talk will air before the episode, right, so people.
Speaker 1: Have reviewing the one one one? All right, what happened one hundred and eleven years ago.
Speaker 4: So nineteen fifteen. I think we kind of talked the first one a little bit last time. Their Armenian genocide began. That estimated eight hundred thousand and one and a half million Armenians died.
Speaker 2: The sinking of the Lusitania.
Speaker 1: Oh whoa, The sinking of the Lusitania was one hundred and eleven years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, killing one thousand and ninety eight people, including one hundred and twenty eight Americans. Einstein completed General Relativity, and this one's weird. The Birth of a Nation premiered research. Yeah, the resurgence of the k Gap.
Speaker 1: I think we could do without that one.
Speaker 2: Well, history's history, we got histories.
Speaker 1: Histories, we got yeah, the birth of a nation that. Have you ever studied any of that much?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I did. I took a dive into it some years ago, and it's man, it'll put it'll bake, the hair stand up on your back. I mean, it's getting very close to kind of a Hitler Nazi approach to Jews. It's really it almost.
Speaker 5: Which we hear some of that language today unfortunately too. Yeah it's true. But but the thing is what it does is it seeks to almost somehow twist and pervert consciousness to normalize ridding yourselves of human beings. And you can see how people who don't question a lot, or are impressionable or young might fall into Oh well, this is how things are supposed to be. I mean, it's really scary.
Speaker 1: Stuff, have some kind of grievance. Yeah, that's right, it's horrible, all right. So the Hero's Journey and why ours starts with normal folks. That's what we're going to talk about. Really interesting stuff here. We actually did this once already and never produced it because Alex's screwed something out tech stuff didn't handle it well, right, Yeah, well.
Speaker 2: The listeners didn't need to know that, but thanks Bill.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean it's the shop, so we talked shopping here, all right. So the Hero's Journey and why ours starts with normal folks. Right after these brief messages from our general sponsors.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the shop.
Speaker 1: Shok talk number one one one, which is a premonition of a guest we're having that does some one one one stuff. But you can listen to that in a couple of weeks when it comes out. Just remember that this is about the hero's journey and why hours starts with normal folks. If you've ever watched Star Wars, Toy Story Finding, Nemo, Rocky the Matrix, or just about any Pixar movie, you've already experienced the hero's journey, even if you've never really heard the term. That's because the hero's journey isn't a theory dreamed up by Hollywood. Hollywood actually borrowed it, and the reason Hollywood borrowed it is because it works. Here's what the hero's journey is. The hero's journey was popularized by Joseph Campbell, a scholar who spent his life studying myths and stories across cultures and centuries. What he noticed was striking across civilization that never met each other. People kept telling the same basic story, different characters, different settings, but same pattern. Hence the title of his book, The Hero with a Thousand Faces at his Core. The hero's journey goes something like this. A normal person, an ordinary person, is living an ordinary life. They fill a call, a call to adventure. They resisted at first. Then they step across a line and take action. Then they face obstacles, struggle, learn, fail, grow. They don't just change the world, they're changed. They return home not as a superhero, but as someone who can now help others. Campbell's big insight wasn't that heroes are special. It was that ordinary people become heroes by answering a call. Thus the hero's journey. Why does Hollywood love it? George Lucas has openly said he built Star Wars using Campbell's work. Pixar famously trains its writers on the hero's journey. Why because it mirrors real life transformation. Luke sky Walker starts as a board farm kid, Woody starts as an insecure toy. Rocky starts as a nobody from Philly. They don't begin confident, they don't begin powerful. They begin unsure, reluctant, and imperfect. Does that sound at all familiar to who you see in the mirror? The lie we've been sold. Somewhere along the way, we started telling ourselves a very dangerous lie. The people who change the world are just different from me. They're smarter, they're braver, they're more researched, they're more confident. But the Hero's Journey says the opposite. It says you don't start ready, you become ready by moving. Action precedes clarity. Most importantly, the hero is not the one with the spotlight. Very important to understand. The hero is not the one with the spotlight. The hero is the one who says, yes, someone told us we should launch the Hero's Journey for service, and so we are. It's called the ten Level Challenge, and it offers a service journey that normal folks you, all of you listening, can go on with clear, actionable steps, which is the ten levels to deepen your service over time, help your community, and transform yourself in the process. Here's the ten levels. Join the army at Normalfolks dot org and one of our local service clubs if we have one in your community. You can see the full list on our website. Number two Get inspired. Follow us on your favorite social media channels and subscribe to the podcast for inspiring stories of normal folks serving their communities and ideas for serving your own. Three The Good Neighbor Challenge. You can't love your neighbor if you don't know them. Write the names of eight of your closest neighbors down on paper. Four Take action once, just one time, and see if it doesn't get a little contagious. Number five Bring your friends on the journey, share the army and the ten level challenge with them. Six Take action every week, just one small action every week. Examples include mentoring someone and or meeting needs on care portal that takes almost no time. Seven Join our Street Team share our social weekly content or better yet daily, and will mail you an army sticker or bumper sticker to confirm just how awesome you are. The Street Team will have its own What's App group two.
Speaker 3: Eight.
Speaker 1: Become a social entrepreneur by starting something like an Army of normal folk, service club, a blood drive at your company or church, a chapter of an organization we've featured, or another one you just happen to like, a brand new thing entirely that you come up with, and if you do, we'll call to congratulate you and potentially share what you're doing on air. Nine share models with friends. Review our list of bottles, and share with your friends ones that they could find of interest photographers could find of interest. Now lay me Down to sleep. Remembrance photographs for stillborn births. Ten share your service journey so that others can benefit from it. We'll consider featuring your journey on the podcast and our social media and for the first one thousand people, that's a lot. For the first thousand of you to complete the ten Level Challenge will know you a free T shirt that identifies you as someone who crushed it. You can sign up to take the ten Level Challenge today at ten Level challenge dot org. And if you do this, you just might find some happiness or fulfillment in your life that you really don't feel right now. It's amazing that everybody I've ever interviewed will always say at the end of the interview that they got far more out of it than what they put into it. And we think for each of you, the ten Level Challenge would do the same. We think, Alex, I think it's awesome. Bill, What do you think? I think it's awesome, Alex, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I mean I came up with it, So it's like an unfair question. No, Actually, somebody that had come up with the idea of you should do the Hero's Journey for service. Someone else there was their idea and I've helped shaped it from there.
Speaker 1: Well, what I love about it is for and we're all this way. This is not a guilt trip. But we all sit around and think, you know, gosh, what can I do? I'm out of time I'd write this. I forgot that. But if you're one of the sixty six percent of the people in the United States that readily admit that they would like to get more involved in society and don't know how. If you're one of those, this is a ten step personal challenge you can do to yourself that will help you engage. And no, I think it's cool. I think it's just another another layer that we've added in an army in normal folks to try to inspire people to have the courage and the willingness to get involved.
Speaker 4: And people love challenges as part of the idea too, Like there's a lot of people do fitness challenges or health challenges.
Speaker 1: It's the year or whatever it is, called.
Speaker 4: Out the crazy one that you did, Max telling me you guys, pour I don't know, well, like you the whole dumb trunk of water on you or something.
Speaker 1: And we used to we used a telehand or extender and had like six hundred gallons of water way above my head and it dumped on me. I don't did it hurt.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of water.
Speaker 1: It was hurt. I mean it was I was you know, it was stupid.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Somebody around here said we should do it, and I said do it. And I went out front and they had the water up there and I stood there and they don't water on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure some people will race through this and complete it fast. But also what I like about this is you can also take your time with it, Like you don't have to finish this in a week a month. I mean, you could take up to a year or longer. You know doing this too. You're just completing these these ten levels as you're able to.
Speaker 1: It's true, and it's basically back to the title, it's going on your own heroes journey. It's it's going on a journey that clearly works. That you know, if if you think about Hollywood and you think about the fact that the hero's journey is a comprehensive term for the way storytelling has happened over centuries across human existence from all cultures and walks of life. The hero's journey works, and so this is your own hero's journey if you'll take the challenge.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Amen, all right, So that's that. If you enjoyed this episode, please share friends and on social subscribe to the podcast, rate it, review it, showing the Army at normal folks dot org. Join and start one of our local service clubs. Take the ten level challenge. Like we've just said by our merch My gosh, if there's I mean, the outros to our episodes are going to be too long if we keep adding ways for people to do so it's incredible.
Speaker 4: I got one more thing to add. Actually July tenth, this is going to come out Before then. We are doing a live interview in Memphis. You may forget this. It's with the CEO of F three. We're doing it across town and then listening Lab. We're doing one of our lunch and listens there.
Speaker 2: I'll be there. You will be there because it's on your calendar. Okay.
Speaker 4: So F three, for those who aren't familiar with that stands for a Fitness Fellowship and Faith. But it's I think I've told you I've been doing this. They're five thirty am workouts outdoors. Rain or shine with a group of guys year round, like give it in winter, we do it during the summer.
Speaker 2: It's a blast.
Speaker 4: But there's sixteen thousand guys across the country doing this in six hundred.
Speaker 2: Locations Fitness Ship in Faith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's like ten or fifteen locations in Memphis you know, doing it too.
Speaker 2: So the CEO is coming in and we're doing a live interview with them.
Speaker 4: I'm leaving for DC Talk anyway, So it's F three Memphis dot event.
Speaker 2: Bright dot com. Okay, say it again.
Speaker 4: F three Memphis dot event bright dot com.
Speaker 1: I am leaving for DC tomorrow. I'm back and then I'm crazy. This fits right down the alley of the Scott Morris world with Church Health. Would you please send him like a special email that says, hey, I want to let you know. I bet he would get people from church hell to come to that for sure. That's it's all about fitness too, and faith and faith obviously. Okay, I think that's it right. All right, that's chap Talk number one one one. Thanks for joining us. We'll see you next week.