Speaker 1: All right, let's turn back to retail now in the State of the consumer, let's talk about JC Penny. Of course, the retailer is unveiling a new pricing strategy that aims to ensure that no budget is too small. Joining us now with more on the state of the US consumer is jcpenny CEO, Mark Rosenmark. It's great to have you back with us, and let's talk about that. We were just having a conversation with Caterina Seminetti, of course, about who needs rate cuts in this economy, and the answer increasingly, of course, is that middle class consumer. It's that lower tier consumer. And with that in mind, what do your promotionals on your sales look like heading into the holiday season.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, I mean, I think as you look at the economy right now, certainly the consumer is pressed a bit right now.
Speaker 3: And we do.
Speaker 2: Say that our customer, which is really America's diverse working families, it's that middle class consumer. It's that working family. It's the teachers that teach our kids, it's the medical workers that take care of us and our family, and the construction workers that build our home, and they are stretched right now. But we're actually really encouraged with what we've seen really since back to school, so we saw a step change improvement in traffic and sales and back to school. And then I know you were just rolling the tape from our really big deals which air every Thursday night on Thursday Night Football, and we've been really encouraged with what we're seeing with that too. In fact, we've now seen where we expect that during the holiday we're going to have from that Thursday Night Football over two million new customers who are in our file by that time. And so the customer is looking for value, but they're also looking for joy, and they're going to celebrate and they're going to have holiday and we're confident.
Speaker 1: About that right. And of course October eighteenth ession Ali was pointing out we're already in a Christmas decorating season here. But I am curious. I mean, when you think about JC Penny, of course, you've been around for a long long time. You're an iconic brand that has fallen on some hard times. How do you balance of course promotions, putting through discounts while still trying to build brand relevancy and brand I have to imagine that's a difficult needle. To thread right.
Speaker 2: So, as you mentioned, right, jac Penny has been around for over one hundred and twenty years, and throughout that time we've always stood for value to the consumer, and so values are really important part of our proposition. But value is about more than just promotion and price. Value is about being able to find the fashion statements that you want. So for holiday, we're introducing I think one of my favorite items is a bear pob blanket. Right, really comfy, really great item. It's going to be in our stores. It's at a great price and you can find that for holiday. I think you know, when we talk about value, also, it's not just meaning low price. So one of the biggest items for women this holiday we're expecting to be diamonds, and we have a great jewelry department that sells those diamonds at a great price and a great value for what you're getting. But the consumers interested in buying those items. So for us, really the brand value proposition is about accessible fashion. It's about finding great eight value, which is quality and brands at a really outstanding price, and it's about a great shopping experience and then that combination that's.
Speaker 4: Going to win. It's interesting you're clearly making a lot of inventory choices at this moment based on changing consumer preferences. I'm wondering, Mark in the other direction, are there things that you seem to be buying a lot less of these days, given where consumer preferences are headed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think as we as we look at holiday, we're really focused on what we're buying and making sure that we have the right inventory and a lot of our aur We announced about a year ago a billion dollar self funded reinvestment in the business. A big part of that was in inventory tools and making sure that we're getting the right items in the right place for the customer. So we're certainly focused on some of the big items that we know we're going to have. Our Saint John's Bay cable knit sweater is always always a best seller, but we are also focused on what are some of the items that are not selling as well, and how do we make sure we can invest that inventory in the things that are going to drive sales growth.
Speaker 3: What is the main cohort you're going after. I mean, it's been said middle class. Certainly that was the case when I was a kid in Central Ohio, but that was a long time ago. Who is your customer and how is that customer doing right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our customer, we say, our customer is really the core of America. It is America's diverse working families. So, as I said earlier, it really is the teachers that are teaching our kids, it's construction workers that are building our homes and offices, it's the medical workers taking care of us and our families. And it is that core of America household that we're serving with all the things that they can do. So whether that's towels for their home, whether that's sheets, whether that is clothing, or whether that's holiday gifts. And we're really excited this year we've expanded our holiday gifts selection. But it's everything to serve the needs of that family.
Speaker 3: What about your workers?
Speaker 2: Who is working for you?
Speaker 3: And how difficult or easy is it for you to find employees to fully staff a store, Because frankly, for me, at least, the retail experience, not jcpenny, you know, but most stores has been really disappointing the last few years. It doesn't seem like there are enough people working there. They don't seem to be really happy with their job, they're not super helpful, to customers, So how are you dealing with that?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: So, I think for us, one of the interesting things is our employees, and when we centered ourselves around our purpose of serving America's diverse working families, that's really our employee. Also, our employee mirrors our customer. And so we have operated for over one hundred and twenty years on the golden rule, which is letting others have the experience and treating others the way that we want to be treated, and that's the guideline of our customer service and stores. We've been encouraged with staffing for this holiday and really over the last probably twelve plus months as we look at the labor market that both in our stores and our distribution centers we've been able to hire. We also have a lot of long tenured associates in our stores, and we're really focused on net promoter scoring. We've seen a big increase in net promoter score as we've remodeled our stores and as we've really focused on the service initiative within stores.
Speaker 1: And I'm taking a look at some recent headlines. In September, the news came out that you planned to hire more than ten thousand seasonal workers for this upcoming holiday season. How does that compare to years past, Mark.
Speaker 2: It's really a similar trend to years past, so not a big difference this year. I think we're expecting a strong holiday season, and we're staffing up for that holiday season, and we're hiring accordingly.
Speaker 1: All Right, Mark, really appreciate the update. Have a great weekend when you get there. That is JC Penny CEO Mark Rosen