Speaker 1: Cowboys Mini camp is in the books, but there is one big item still left on their offseason checklis. When will Michaeh Parsons get his mega deal and could waiting costs Jerry Jones again, we will.
Speaker 2: Tell you what Micah is saying now.
Speaker 1: That's not the only question around the NFL as most teams head into the break before training camp. Jeffrey jedia joins us with answers tonight on the defending champs, the return of the forty nine ers, AFC contenders, and much more.
Speaker 2: Your weather app might be borderline.
Speaker 1: Useless these days, but Adam Rank's fantasy forecasts rarely miss Who does he like and who should you avoid at all costs? Rank ranks the possibilities tonight. Welcome inside with the inside as longside.
Speaker 2: Ian Rappaport.
Speaker 1: I am Tom pelisserro we are eighty three day out from kickoff. Did you just realize his name is Rank and we have him ranked things?
Speaker 2: Yes? See in Big Time News tonight.
Speaker 3: No, here's what I have to say, Tom, this is the dark Ages of weather apps. It's all over the map. It means literally nothing. What's shown right now could have no bearing on what's shown an hour from now. I don't understand where who's doing the weather apps these days.
Speaker 1: That's a much more layered question we will not address in the next sixty minutes, but we will talk about what is going on in Dallas, which as has been the habit when it comes to big contracts in June the recent years. Nothing Michael Parsons is talking, though. He spoke with longtime local reporter Clarence Hill during this week's mini camps said that he expects to be the highest paid non QB, a line that has moved in recent months with the likes of Miles Garrett and Jamar Chase getting paid big. Also acknowledged a handshake deal with Jerry Jones back in March, but said that they never finished it off. Parsons said, quote, it's going to cost them more, something that we know ian Jerry Jones said in the past. Hey, I'm good paying more if I get more information.
Speaker 2: Well, here we are again.
Speaker 1: He's getting the info and Micah does not yet have his money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if the Cowboys want all of the info, they may have to wait a little bit because there's still several edge rushers who may get done before Micah. Parsons and you're right. Parsons was fascinating in that article acknowledging that there was a sort of kind of negotiation with Jerry Jones without his agent. From the sounds of it, sounds like the term was just as much of an issue as money. In other words, the Cowboys like longer deals. David Mulgetta, who is Michah Parson's agents, generally pushes for shorter deals. Perhaps that was part of the issue as far as why this did not get done. We have so many edge guys that need to get done. Trey Henderson, We've talked about a ton Aiden Hutchinson. Now that he's healthy, could that deal get done? Could that affect Micah Parsons. TJ. Watt did not show up to Mini camp. That likely affects Mike. So it certainly seems like Parsons is content to wait. But in reading these comments and kind of understand the landscape of things, it seems like he's acknowledging like maybe there's a window if the Cowboys wanted to get it done, they maybe could do that. It just doesn't seem like they're going to. So here's what I expect.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 3: Two hours before kickoff, you and I will be furiously texting you to each other, just like we were during the Dak Prescott negotiations. Try to figure out is this gonna happen before game day morning signs off or just after.
Speaker 1: For all our sanity, let's hope that it doesn't go all the way until kickoff, but you never know. Stay tuned for the next eighty three days. Certainly, the Steelers hope to have the TJ. Watt situation resolved far before then. Wat's a little different category here because he's not going on to a second contract like Micah Parsons. He is thirty years old at this point, has dealt with some injuries in recent years, has played through a lot. But when you're thirty and you didn't play your best in order the entire Steelers defense down the stretch last season, there are questions surrounding exactly how much money and specifically how much guaranteed money should be in that deal. Did not report to the mandatory mini camp last week. Neither did Trey Hendrickson in Cincinnati, who was looking for his new, upgraded contract as well.
Speaker 2: The difference here is Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 1: Not looking to reset the market, as we have reported repeatedly in recent months here, but he does want to be paid up among the top pass rushers, which makes a lot of sense because Ian that's a guy who led the NFL in sacks last season, has had two monster years in a row. He has been durable again on the wrong side of age thirty, but we've seen plenty of edge rushers play into their mid thirties and still have a high level of productivity.
Speaker 2: And then we've got Samar Stewart.
Speaker 1: Who is the envisioned in Cincinnati being the other guy who could take some of the heat off Trey Hendrickson. Last week's mini camp ended with neither of them there, and there is still a process that they're going through here that might take a little bit getting their first round pick under a contract.
Speaker 3: So let me explaining the process, and when I'm done, you can kind of jump in and maybe give the other side, because this really is a nuanced situation between Shamar Stewart and the Cincinnati Bengals. From the Bengals perspective, really, what they did was just update their language, bring it more in line with what the majority of teams do as far as just the kind of nitty gritty contracts I can explain it. It's a lot of words. Nobody really cares to just use a word contract language. That's kind of what it is. But essentially it gives the team a little bit more protection, again in line with a lot of other teams, and in line with a lot of other players right around Shamar Stewart. Between that and between the agreement that would allow him to practice without having signed. It was an issue there too, involving language as far as the protection for the team, So it all kind of went sideways in a way that it shouldn't. This has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of money he's gonna make. He's still gonna make eighteen point nine million dollars fully guaranteed. It's just essentially the Bengals believing that they're kind of clarifying the language, which the sounds of it should be easy, but obviously there's a lot more that goes into it, which is why Shamar Stewart is not signed yet.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of people who wonder when everything is slotted, the money, the contracts, everything's fully guaranteed for first round picks, how do some of these takes so long? Well, teams have established precedents. They are going to be a back and forth of if you're trying to establish a new precedent or if the agent and the player are trying to break your precedent. What it's the former and you're trying to set a new precedent. Here, Shamar Stewart is looking at this and saying, I don't care that Abdul Carter has similar, not identical, but similar language in his deal. Amariusmim's, your first round pick last year, did not have that language. I just want the same language as that guy. That's where they've not come together yet, and they've got a little over a month to get that resolve so that he can join his teammates for the first time on the field come training camp. One first round pick got his deal done today, Maxwell Harston, the number thirty overall selection by the Buffalo Bills, officially under contract. It's a four year, fifteen point two to five million dollar, fully guaranteed deal that leaves just three first round picks unsigned. Travis Hunter, the number two overall pick, John A. Baron who went twentieth to the Broncos, and of course Shamar Stewart as well.
Speaker 2: League neighbors got his contract.
Speaker 1: Done a year ago, certainly was a bright spot in a tough season for the New York Giants, and not seen a lot of him on the field in this offseason because of a toe injury. The Giants are actually won of five teams that had their mandatory mini camp next week. No Malik Neighbors expected at that point, but Brian Dable has said he expects to have his top receiver back on the field when training camp opens late next month. The Packers will have a new president and CEO by then. Mark Murphy is entering the final month of his long tenure as the CEO and president of the Packers. Under the by laws of the Packers, you have to cycle out before you hit age seventy at policy will take over. But they gave mart Murphy one last chance to deliver a message that is Super Bowl expectations right there from the green Bay Packers as we welcome into our Stacy Dales to the conversation. You know, Stacy, that's always the standard in Green Bay. They've got more NFL championships plus Lombardi trophies than anybody here.
Speaker 2: It's the last hurdle that we've.
Speaker 1: Not seen a highly successful coach in Matt Lafleur be able to get to here, but they got their work cutout just in their own division.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 5: Hello Ian, Hello Tom, Happy Friday to you guys. They do have their work cutout. And congratulations to Mark Murphy's one of my favorites guys to deal with and has been over the course of many years in the NFL. Listen, within this division, it's a race. I think we saw that last season, right, Detroit back to back years they claimed the title. Minnesota's knocking on the door. But guess what, the Packers were knocking on the door too, And so until anybody proves us otherwise, this is Detroit's division and that means everybody else in this division is hunting the Detroit Lions. But it is extremely competitive, as you fellas know. And I think Matt Lafleura offensively went back and said, what happened to us the last three games of the year, Right, They lost their final two regular season games and their playoff loss against the Philadelphia Eagles, and it didn't look good. The offense took a decline, and so I think he's been outspoken about it. They need more explosive plays, more consistently, and that's over the course of eighteen weeks in the regular season in order to claim this division, and those three losses to close out their season fellas they went down in all the important numbers, right, total yards down sixty five per game from the previous games that they played throughout the course of the year. They're big plays, their explosive plays were down, and the points were down roughly nine points a game in those three losses. That's why you bring in Matthew Golden. That's why you bring in McCole Hardman. This is a really talent, talented roster. He needs more explosives to overcome this division offensively from his group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fascinating stuff. Say. I don't disagree with you, by the way, that the Packers should be the hunter, not the hunted. The one thing I would say is there's still plenty of questions in this division. Lines are great. They got a really, really, really talented roster, but did have almost unprecedented staff turnover with both their coordinators rated it so many of their position coaches and past game coordinator. I mean, all of the things that seems everyone took from Detroit. There's certainly some questions there. Vikings have a new quarterback in JJ McCarthy again, who I think is going to be really good, but has not really done at Chicago Bears, also where they knew coaching staff. Although it's fair to say that hopes are very high there in Chicago. I would just say this is one that's probably a little more up for grabs than maybe it was last year, which should be very fun because it is a very very high level division.
Speaker 1: Stacey, thank you. More from you, Ian just a little bit here. The Colts preparing through their mini camp this past week.
Speaker 2: They'll be back on the field for training.
Speaker 1: Camp and they'll be doing something special in week one to honor their late owner, the team announcing today that jim Irsay, who passed away last month at the age of sixty five, will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor prior to the September seventh opener at home against the Miami Dolphins. Who will be the starting quarterback for that game. Well, we didn't get any slow motion Anthony Richardson highlights this week because he's once again on the shelf, this time dealing with a shoulder injury. Daniel Jones instead got the slow mo treatment and spoke in real time.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, just like like you would in any situation. I think, yeah, just trying to prepare and you know, grow with it every day. I've got you know, I've got a lot of work to do just learning this offense and getting used to it. So I'm trying to focus as much on that and then playing a football when I'm him on the field of practice.
Speaker 1: The Colts were willing to pay up Stacy to get Daniel Jones in the building. He chose them over a very similar offer from the Vikings. The question now is can a guy who in his time with the Giants became sort of a pariah for a lot of different reasons, but did get to the playoffs, did win a playoff game, can he have a revival of sorts with Shane Steike and now as his head coach.
Speaker 5: Revival is a good word. I mean, I would just like, let's let's just say opportunity, Let's let's let's be a little bit cautiously optimistic. We don't know what's going to happen with Anthony Richardson, obviously, as he's reaggravated that right shoulder, but it is an opportunity for Daniel Jones. And I know one thing about Shane Styke in the play caller. He's very quarterback friendly. He's very adaptable, and he has been over the years with his quarterbacks and he will be if Daniel Jones is his quarterback. I've no doubt the Colts did all their homework. That's why, as Chris ballor the GM said, it's an open competition because they like Daniel Jones. He has learned this defense very quickly and it will be adaptable again if it's him. I have no doubt. Though they went back to his best season. That was twenty twenty two. That is the year you mentioned the playoffs, Tom. They went there. They beat the Vikings, they ultimately lost to the Eagles, and Brian Dable became the coach of the Year in that season. It's important because they're a receiver corps. I remember covering them. It was so banged up. You guys will remember it, but they ran the heck out of the football. Barkley was Saquon Barkley over thirteen hundred yards, but Daniel Jones, you guys, he was over seven hundred on the ground. I believe that season tied for the fourth most design runs in the NFL, but he was second in terms of scrambles. In terms of him behind justin field scrambling football, and that's something Shane Steichen has done with Anthony Richardson over in the course of his time there and over a couple of seasons, calling place design runs have been a big part of it. It's a more talented roster, though. I will say in Indianapolis we saw Tyler Warren there on the screen. They're going to use him all over the place, and I expect those legs if he's the quarterback, and certainly his ability to get to those playmakers would be something he's capable of doing in Shane's offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely one of the more fun quarterback competitions of training camp, and I do expect both of these quarterbacks to be out there very early in training camp. As far as Anthony Richardson, from what I understand, you know, obviously you mentioned it had a right shoulder injuries somewhat similar injury to what he had before got it checked out. Got a second opinion from doctor Neil Alatross, one of the more respected voices in the medical community. In the NFL just rest and recuperation, really just rest, rehab, no surgery. He is expected to be fined by training camp. This is a very good thing for the coach because what they want is health and a real competition at quarterback, and it sounds like they'll get it.
Speaker 1: A lot of different injury issues to monitor in the six weeks or so up until both teams are in training camp, including one with the La Rams, who made a move for insurance over the past twenty four hours, agreeing to terms with offensive linemen DJ humphreyes the longtime Arizona Cardinal, on a one year deal. If you're saying yourself, hey, didn dj at Humphries sign with to the forty nine ers like a month ago, well, they agreed to terms that they ended up falling apart.
Speaker 2: Instead.
Speaker 1: He is headed to the Rams Alaric Jackson, their standout tackle, once again dealing with blood clots.
Speaker 2: As we reported earlier.
Speaker 1: Today, the team does expect him to play if there are any issues, Humphreys will be ready to go. Bait is over and the countdown to kickoff has begun. Single game tickets for the twenty twenty five NFL season are on sale now. Visit NFL dot com slash tickets to purchase tickets today. Tickets are available through the NFL ticket network, including ticket Masters, Seak Geek, and Sports Illustrated Tickets. Then I mentioned tickets, Tickets, tickets. Let the excitement begin. Eighty three days away from the NFL regular season. Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pelisero, joined once again by Stacy Dale's also welcoming in Jeffrey Judea to the conversation. Jeffery, you've got an article up right now NFL dot com slash first read on the nine biggest question still looming as we come out of many camps here, Let's start with the defending champs here, there was some attrition for that team. How of the Eagles replenished, Let's put it that way, some of the defensive talent.
Speaker 4: Well, Tom, I have.
Speaker 7: Faith in the Eagles because they found ways before with general manager Howie Roseman finding talent, and they've got a great coaching staff. But they have pieces in place there to replace the guys they've lost. And I know Milton Williams and Brandon Graham and Josh Whett and Darius Lay these guys are big losses. But when you look at what a guy Cooper Cup can provide, excuse me, Cooper Dejini can provide. He can be a safety or cornerback for you. They've got a guy Nolan Smith has been sitting there for a couple of years waiting to become a star, and they have great faith in him. And Jenis Hunts as a player who had a sack in the Super Bowl. And Joha Campbell is a rookie linebacker coming in.
Speaker 2: Who's very versatile.
Speaker 7: So I've heard defensive coordinator and you'll talk about this group and these players in Stacey.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be better than people think they are.
Speaker 5: I don't expect any drop off because you mentioned Howie Roseman. Player development with these Eagles, it's really exceptional and it's extraordinary. It's one of the reasons that they're always in the conversation at the end of the year. You mentioned all those veterans that have departed. Much respect to those players. But this is a very young roster. I remind you going into the Super Bowl and all of last season, they were by age, the fourth youngest defense in the National Football League. I think they'll be fine offensively, but defensively is actually where they continue to excite me because of that youth. And when I covered this team last year and talking to these players, they loved Vic Fangio's nonsensical style. He simplified things for the young group midway through the season, almost like a bit of a college coach, which I talked to a lot of those former Georgia players, and he holds them accountable, guys. It was widely reported a few days after the Super Bowl. Remember they gave up twenty two to the Chiefs in the second half of the Super Bowl. They still want of course, they had a huge lead, called them out on it, and that accountability is going to transcend into next season. I totally believe that.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to that Super Bowl, third straight appearance for the Chiefs before the Eagles got their doors blown off in air, blew their doors off in that game. We know every year, Jeffery, we start out with the Ravens and the Bills and the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: It's every single year deals with the teacher. Who else in.
Speaker 1: Your mind could join those teams among the AFC contenders.
Speaker 7: Well, I trust the Denver Broncos the most right now, and Champayne obviously has won a Super Bowl and he's found a quarterback and bow Nicks. But that defense is so elite, and they've made some great additions to it with Jadave Barrn coming in and Drake Greenlaw and Talaoah Hufanga. I know some of these guys have to stay healthy, these veteran guys, but we look at having the corners that they have and Patrick Hirtan and Riley Moss and those edge rushers, and Jonathan Cooper and Nick Bonito and an interior disruptive force and Zach Allen. This could be the best defense in the league without those additions.
Speaker 2: And so you add that defense.
Speaker 7: To what Sean Payne can do on offense, Stacey, and I think they got.
Speaker 2: Great chance of being right there in the mix.
Speaker 5: I love all that, Jeff. Can we just say that this division is a masterclass of coaching. I mean that needs to be a story in itself. Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Jim Harbaugh. This is going to be a fiercely competitive division. I've got the Las Vegas Raiders circled you guys, I just do. I love what's happening there. I've heard some really good energy is coming out of that building, and it starts with Pete Carroll. Success just follows Pete Carroll. And then he hired Chip Kelly, who's extremely innovative, and he brought in his guy, Gino Smith's best years in the NFL have been underneath Pete Carroll. We know Geno Smith has had success. We know how efficient, how accurate he is, especially that underneath game twy ten to twelve twenty yards in terms of his ability to quickly get the ball out. But he has got a talented roster. Ashton genty is going to help. Which was the league's worst rushing attack last year. I mean literally the worst run game offensively in the league was the Raiders last season. And then you think about Brock Bauers and Michael Meyer, the double headed monster at tight end, a nice underrated receiving corps, young group of guys. I think this could be an interesting dynamic that takes place with these Raiders.
Speaker 1: Another really interesting team going to the season is going to be the forty nine Ers because they were decimated by injuries of chorus last year, starting out with losing Christian McCaffrey essentially in the opener, never had true Christian McCaffrey throughout the season. Then they trade away Debo Samuel, they remodel some things here. Do you envision a bounce back Jeffrey from the forty nine ers in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: I like their chances because they're well coached and you look at the last two times they had double digit losses. The next year they woun up in the Super Bowl in twenty nineteen, in twenty twenty one, they made a NFC Championship game, and so there's a pedigree there. And some of these guys that got hurt last year are still there, like Christian McCaffrey for example.
Speaker 2: He's a big part of this.
Speaker 7: But that defense getting robbed Salid back to run that defense, I think is going to be big for them. Michael Williams, that young defensive end they drafted to play alongside Nick Bosa, that's going to help this team has a ton of pride and a ton of opportunity to make some plays this season.
Speaker 2: I think that those.
Speaker 7: Injuries hurt, but their pride, their resilience will show up this year. That'll be back in the playoff contingent Stacy, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I think when you talk about injuries like let's be real here that they were the most injured team in the NFL last season, and what Kyle Shanahan did it kind of keep them afloat was pretty special. And that's why he is the coach that he is. He's a special head coach. They still had offensively one of the top ten offenses in the NFL, and we're, you know, tops in a number of metrics despite all of their injuries. And you talk about Christian McCaffrey and Brandon I you coming back from ACL and then you think about their schedule. Now, a lot of people want to hate on a couple of other divisions they're playing, like the NFC South and the AFC South, But they have a schedule that perhaps is favorable. But listen, if they get healthy and they get sort of in check defensively with some of their new personnel and you mentioned Jeff Robert Sola, they will be right back in the hunt. In the division. Of course, right now, the Rams are pretty special, especially with the addition of Devonte Adams. Another tough division, but I think you know, listen, the forty nine ers are never out of this thing, Tom Like, they just never are. I know, last year wasn't the year they wanted. But that's what happens when you get decimated by injury.
Speaker 1: NFL dot com slash first Read, where you can find the other six questions. I think I'm doing that math right. From Jeffrey to Dia. Jeffrey, thank you very much for being here, Stacey, stick around. More from you later. But first, Adam Rank is joining this show. You never know what's going to happen when Rank's on, or they're going to be props or they're going to be characters. There will be information about the second year quarterbacks you should take and who you should not in your fantasy draft rank for this Next on The Insiders.
Speaker 8: On Achieva week, Chicago Bears rookie class was at Wrigley Field.
Speaker 3: Thrown out the first pitch. Izzi Trapilo right there on the mound, surrounded by his buddies. They're all celebrating. I think it was I think it was fine. Now it wasn't Ben Johnson's effort. Johnson threw a strike. That guy had some action on his ball. This was sort of just meh. And if you want to know why I can say this, it's because I am literally an expert there there's me throwing out the first pitch in the met game COVID style. I got a mask. It's all good, great arm action. It was a strike. That's my wife who caught it, by the way, which thank god, because had I bounced that her ankle shoe would have been so mad at me. I never would have lived it down. Instead, I crushed it. I am there for an expert, someone who has never thrown out the first pitch if any baseball game ever. Adam Rank, thank you very much for joining this. I get a bunch of questions for you. First of all, have you ever thrown out a first pitch?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 9: The Angels have not offered me that invitation. I will tell you, and I'm sure I know what they do.
Speaker 2: They don't let you.
Speaker 9: Go from the mound. I'm going from the mound. This is probably why the angels won't let me do it. I'm going from the mound. I'm bringing a glove, and I'm going crazy regardless of what happens.
Speaker 3: No, you're not doing any of those things. All right, let's get to fantasy football. I know it's to but it's not too early for fantasy football. As those of us have big time decisions to make, especially as it pertains to our keeper leagues. Talk me through a couple second year quarterbacks, starting with Caleb Williams.
Speaker 9: Well, Caleb Williams right now, as it stands, I have them as the quarterback twelve. I have them ahead of guys like Jordan Love and Dak Prescott and even brock Perty And a lot of it is based on what Jared Goff was able to do last year with Ben Johnson as his offensive coordinator. You know, he was averaging around twenty fantasy points per game, and I would say that Caleb has an opportunity to kind of get similar numbers at a bit. The reason why is that he has the ability to run the football. So I'm looking forward to him taking more chances down the field. There's more attention to detail with the coaching staff. Here some great weapons out there, So I'm willing if I need to wait on a quarterback. I'm waiting for Caleb Williams now Jade Daniels. Gosh, when you look at Jaden Daniels and what he was able to do last year, you're probably asking yourself, who are the quarterbacks that were drafting ahead of him? I would say, for sure, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, that might be it, that might be the list. He's like, he could end up being the first quarterback off the board because people really do love Jade and Daniels, and for great reason. When you look back at his numbers from last season, he was the quarterback five, just to step ahead of Jared Goff. But still when you look at it, you look at the addition of Deebo Samuel, there's a great opportunity for Jade and Daniels to be the quarterback won this season.
Speaker 4: And finally, let's talk about Drake May.
Speaker 9: I have Drake May a little bit lower. He's the quarterback eighteen. But this is not of a smirch him because when you look at this tier, and I usually keep the quarterbacks on tier, he's in a tier with Trevor Lawrence, C. J. Stroud, Matthew Stafford, players like that. But he's kind of a fun option. The real opportunity was Stefan Diggs here. He had at least seventy plus Fantasy points in six of twelve starts. The one thing that people kind of overlook with Drake May he had four hundred and nine rushing yards since he became the starter in Week six that was QB four numbers. So I think he's a really good option this year. Again, if you miss out on a quarterback, don't panic. You'll get guys like Drake May.
Speaker 3: That feels low for Drake May. It feels like a breakout year coming. The surrounding hims some weapons we'll see though obviously has not proven it like the other guys. What about some of the guys drafted a little bit later than this grouple, Let's talk about Michael Pennix and some of his friends.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's in the top thirty two for me. Now, it's really kind of hard to evaluate Michael Pennocks given you know, he didn't play a lot of a season. He averaged just over fourteen Fantasy points into three career games he did start. However, if you look at Week eighteen, he was fantastic. In Week eighteen through for over three hundred yards, had a couple of touchdowns, and he had what close to twenty five Fantasy points in that game. If I'm remembering this correctly, he looked fantastic. They got some pretty nice weapons out there for him. Michael Pennix is one of those guys who's going to be a little bit more of an insurance option for me, but he's still got the opportunity. And another guy that we really can't evaluate that much is JJ McCarthy because we didn't see him at all.
Speaker 4: I will tell you this though, right.
Speaker 9: Now, Ian, I am not leaving my draft without JJ McCarthy as a backup wow quarterback. Look when you look at the success the Kyle Shanahan and all the coaches under the Mike Shanahan coaching tree, what these guys have been able to do, What Kyle Shanahan's been able to do, what koc has been able to do, and Sean McVay with these guys. Given a player like JJ McCarthy who's getting an opportunity here, I'm not leaving my draft without him, just in case he breaks out, and he could break out like bow Knicks Bo Knicks. Right now is my quarterback eight?
Speaker 4: That's right. I have him ranked ahead of Caleb Williams right now.
Speaker 9: I know, I listen. I love this pick. I really do. Last year he was the quarterback seven. He the big The big thing is he runs the football. Again, A lot of people don't understand. They look at bon Nicks. They don't think of him as this athletic quarterback. But it's one of the reasons why Sean Payton was really drawn to him, is the athleticism that bow Knicks has. Now they've gone out there, they brought in a couple of extra weapons for him. I think Evan Ingram has a real opportunity for a breakout season with the Denver Broncos, so bow Knicks is another good option.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of people always love.
Speaker 9: To steal Caleb Williams for me from me, and if they do, I'll just take Caleb.
Speaker 4: I'll just take bow Nicks and'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I mean, expectations are sky high for bo Nicks. If he even comes close to living up to them, Denver Broncos are gonna have a very very good year. For those of us who try to get him in fantasy, we also will have a good year. Rank Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: We got a lot more from you before this show ends, but for this very segment only, I say thank you.
Speaker 2: Carolini.
Speaker 3: Panthers are thinking that guy right there bryce you, especially because of how we played the last three games this season. He seems to be a quarterback on the rise as well.
Speaker 2: How much so?
Speaker 3: And why let's talk to our good friend Stacy Dale's about that coming on.
Speaker 1: Chris Godwin opted to stay in Tampa during free agency this year, but he will still have a new jersey in twenty twenty five. Godwin announced on social media this week and via the Bucks that he is adding Junior to his uniform name plate in honor of his late father.
Speaker 2: We know this much.
Speaker 1: The Bucks have a whole lot of weapons, right, Mike Evans.
Speaker 7: I'll do the same every year, work out really hard, hangle, my family, play video games, going troops.
Speaker 2: Don't normal the same.
Speaker 6: Thing we do. Your impressions of a Mecca and Ted and new rookies in the wide receiver. I know I say it a lot, but this might be the best receiver room I've been a part of them.
Speaker 2: I say it every year, but we always get great players to come in.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pilaicero, Ian Rapaport, Stacy Dales.
Speaker 2: You heard it right there, Stacey.
Speaker 1: From Mike Evans, he says, as he does on an annual basis, this might be the best wider super group that he has been a part of. You adda Mecca Muka to the mix and certainly makes me made. Maybe the depth is as good as it's been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I liked this team going into last year. Obviously we saw the success going to the playoffs despite losing. I love this team. I really love this offense. And you know you lose Liam Cohen, he goes and becomes at the last minute the head coach of the Jags, and Josh Grizzard steps in, who is your past game coordinator? Fellas last year? He takes over first time play caller in the NFL. But I'm okay hay with it because Baker Mayfield's been there, done that, and as Grizzard recently said, everything runs through Bake and that's how good he's become. With these teammates, the offensive line pretty much would do anything for their quarterback. But then when you look at this talented roster you mentioned tom ameca Abuka, Okay, Jason Light deserves an incredible amount of kudos because he continues to bring in not just superstar potentially type players, but high character players that are gonna fit on Mike Evans' wide receiver corp and a Chris Godwin receiver Corp because they're incredibly high character and so ameca Abuka I mentioned. But then I go to the seventh round and I look at tes Johnson. Yeah, he dropped right at the combine probably and just through the course of his draft process because he's like five nine a Buck fifty five, but he's a little speedster. They're gonna be able to use him, especially in the slot, all those receivers. Luke Getticky, I am excited for these Bucks fans because I think it's going to be a really unique offense for them this year with Baker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, any other team right now, we've been talking about Jalen McMillan as a breakout player and where you're going to take him in fantasy, except they drafted the mechaic Buga. They've added a bunch of pieces. They also have Bucky Irving, who is basically coming off a breakout season of him. So I don't know how many different guys they can get the ball to. I don't know how stacked they could be. But you know, to me, definitely a little bit of a different look for Tampa than than we are used to. And you know, this was why it was so hard to figure out who they were going to draft because they don't need anything right like they didn't once they got Chris Goblin back in free agency, I felt like they were good. It's just riches upon riches. This should be a very, very good offense in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Jaskers are just the latest Buccaneers offensive coordinator. They also had to change last year when Dave Canalis left for Carolina, where he's got a quarterback that he thinks might have a chance to give him a chance in the NFC South.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 10: You know, I think the pace of our offensive development evolution is growing at the pace of Brice, and he's showing such great mastery of what we're doing that he's allowing us to really push the envelope and do more things.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Cut Dave Canalis a break for the voice there. I assume it was a long week there in mini camp. You look at Bryce Young in the twenty twenty four seasons, the starter, of course benched in favor of Andy Dalton, But once he got back out there at the end of the season, he's throwing passes and turning his back and signaling touchdown without even looking that the ball gets completed stacy.
Speaker 2: The arrow does appear to be pointing up.
Speaker 1: The question now is if Bryce Young continues this improvement, how good can this Panthers team be in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tom Anian, I mean mastery is a strong word to use after OTA's. It just tells me he has a good pulse on the terminology and the verbiage going into this season with Dave Canalis. I'm more concerned though about the Bucks or excuse me, the Panthers defensively. I mean, when you consider a young quarterback like this and some nice pieces offensively, they got to have a defense that can get the ball back for them, and unfortunately for them. I mean, you know, I love Idiro Rivero Avero, but their defensive coordinator, but last year was was not good. I mean they were the worst defense, total defense, scoring defense, rushing defense. They're the worst on third down you see the lower third right there. And I think there were a combination of things. Injuries played a big factor, Personnel didn't always match up to this base four to three, and kind of Vic Fangio tendencies within it. So personnel changed. I mean, they have a lot of new pieces through via free agency and a couple of rookies you're going to want to keep your eye on, and Prince Uman Mielien Uman Miellen is you know, drafted in the second round for a reason, linebacker, and then Nick Scorton linebacker. Those guys are going to have to step in and really help this defense and have somewhat of a resurgence to improve upon what they were last year. Ian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Carolina Panther's on defense had a very clear vision this offseason needed to get better. Signed. I think four starters in agency might end up being five, we'll see, but definitely definitely added a bunch of talent there, did it in the draft as well. And look, the fact that we are talking about this team really does revolve around that guy right there. Yes, the defense is gonna get gonna get better. Hopefully is adequate if there should be a really well coached defense that helps. But for Bryce Young to take that leap that he needs to make, I mean, that really is what's gonna determine whether or not the Carolina Panthers challenge for a playoff spot, whether or not Bryce Young is in fact that franchise guy like they draft.
Speaker 4: Him to be.
Speaker 3: And the early returns. In other words, the last several games of last season really do point to him becoming exactly what the Carolina Panthers have hoped for the last two years along National nine. Mare is over because that guy was actually in a camp. That's Aaron Rodgers, remember him, That Steelers guy who signed a week ago. Was the biggest deal the whole offseason. That it happened, and we were kind of like, all right, I guess he signed. I guess he's on the Steelers now. Anyway, moving on to TJ Watt, Yes, Rogers is on the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it a ton during training camp. But that all happened. That was not the only thing to happen this week with the Steelers. So let's welcome in our good friend Adam Rank for a segment we call what are They Thinking? So I'll start with this, Rank, what's your beef with the Steelers?
Speaker 9: You know what, honestly, it's not signing Aaron Rodgers because I thought that was a good movie. He's better than Mason Rudolph and everything. So well done, Steelers. T I take obception to is Mike Tomlin saying, you know what we got to have hotter mini cams. It's gotta be hotter during the day for us to have What do you do? You just watch the Junction Boys and think to himself like, oh, yeah, it's gotta be warmer, Like, oh, we got it. This is this what we're focusing on Pittsburgh, Like I get it. Like obviously last season the Steelers started off very hot and then faded down the stretch and Mike Tomlin's like, you know what, It's because I had our training camp practices in the morning. Or perhaps it was because you had Justin Field starting and he went four and two and you're like, yeah, that's great, Justin We're gonna go with Russell Wilson.
Speaker 4: I think that was the bigger issue.
Speaker 9: I don't think it was the timing of training camp start times. I don't think it was the fact that somebody's eating permantes for lunch. It was the fact that you pulled out the better quarterback. That's why your team suffered, not this practice starting time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're probably right. All right on to the next. Brad Holmes, the general manager for the Detroit Lions, who has done an excellent, excellent job of stocking that roster. It's talking about Ben Johnson in Chicago. What was he thinking?
Speaker 4: What are he doing? Why is he so upset? Ben? Brad Holmes like a lion.
Speaker 9: A lot of Lions fans don't understand why Ben Johnson went to be the head coach of the Chicago Bears, Like, why are you surprised that a young offensive coordinator is taking the best job opening in the league? Objectively, when you look at all the job openings for last year, whether it's the Jets, whether it was the Raiders or whomever, this was the best job opening you have. Caleb Williams, you had the number ten overall pick of the draft, You had a pretty decent defense, You had a team that was ready to compute.
Speaker 4: What are they expecting? Oh?
Speaker 9: Was he supposed to not hurt your feelings by taking the best possible job out there? Brad Holmes, what are you thinking? Of course, Ben.
Speaker 4: Johnson was going to be the coach of the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: All right, Rank, I got one more for you. Dak Prescott, our good friend, the Cowboys quarterback now healthy in the quarterback for I don't know, it seems about ten years or so, would like just for his sanity, to win the Super Bowl. What is he thinking, although he's right, by the way, what.
Speaker 4: Is he thinking?
Speaker 9: I love Dak Prescott, but really, this is what you're pinning your hopes on. This is what you're pinning your sanity on, whether the Dallas Cowboys could.
Speaker 4: Reach the Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: Like this is like anybody else to some contract promoter pinning his hopes on the fact that Oasis the Brothers are not going to get into a fight and somehow have.
Speaker 4: To end their tour prematurely.
Speaker 9: What you know is going to happen, And similarly, you expect the Dallas Cowboys season to end prematurely at some junction. I mean, I love Dak Prescott, but I don't think that this Dallas Cowboys team has gotten better over the last couple of years. And as a matter of fact, there are now teams leapfrogging them. I don't know if they paid attention to what was happening in Washington last year. You got an uphill battle to climb, So, Dak, I wish for you the very best, but maybe lower your expectations just a little.
Speaker 3: Don't will your expectations raise your expectations. Dak is right, Rank is wrong, but We thank you anyway, Rank great stuff all show today, have an awesome weekend. Really appreciate you.
Speaker 2: The wait is over. In the countdown to kickoff, Hands Megun.
Speaker 1: Single game tickets for the twenty twenty five NFL season are on sale now. Visit NFL dot com slash tickets to purchase tickets today. Tickets are available through the NFL ticket network including ticket Master, Seak Geek, and Sports Illustrated Tickets. Also, get your tickets to the Patriots preseason opener. That's not a phrase you hear very often, which might be the point they are going to as the Patriots sounds today at Jay Legacy and Bronze Forever. Tom Brady's statue will be unveiled on August eighth, prior to the Patriots preseason opener against the Commanders. Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pilisero, Ian Rappaport, Stacey Dale's your thoughts on a preseason unveiling of the Goats statue.
Speaker 5: Can't wait, Love the Goat. That post was done yesterday, six twelve. That would be Tom Brady Day, so I'm a big fan of that. He won six Super Bowls with the team he wore the number twelve with the team. Obviously not a particular fan of a preseason game unveiling, but it's got to happen, and he's a TV starter, so what are you going to say about it? By the way, Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 3: Guys, Oh thanks Dales. I am a fan of this mainly because if you're a Patriots fan, you want a nice, low key environment to go celebrate Tom Brady. Plus you have to go to this preseason game. Not everyone goes to a lot of the preseason games. This forces fans to go genius by the Patriots. But anyway, Plus Tom Brady is mostly busy during Sundays. This year happens to be on Fox. So all in all, I support the.
Speaker 2: Decision, what say you?
Speaker 7: Tom?
Speaker 1: I would also think that Mike Rabel enjoys the fact that once it comes time to play the real games, the full focus will be on these Patriots and not the legacy passed, even though it's one of his Yes, probably good buddies. Who's going to be etched in bronze, hopefully with a view that Mike has right out of his office there at Jellette Stadium. Having father says they will send to everybody out there five teams of Minicamp. Next week, this show'll be back. Shouldn't be an Easter time on Monday. Enjoy the weekend. Everybody