Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Aaron Welsh and this is this podcast will Kill You. You are listening to the latest episode in our tp w k Y book Club series, where we chat with authors about their popular books in science and medicine. We've gotten to have fantastic conversation so far, and there are so many more to come. If you'd like to see the full list of books we've already covered and those that we'll be covering later this season as a part of the series, check out our website this Podcast will kill You dot Com, where you can find a link to our bookshop dot org affiliate account. Under the extras tab on our bookshop page, there are a bunch of TPWKY lists featuring books we've read for our regular episodes. Memoirs about Health and Disease, a list of fiction books about disease. Should we do a book club on disease themed novels? Is anyone out there a member of a book club on disease themed novels? Because that sounds like so much fun? And also on our bookshop is of course a book club list where you can find all of the books we're featuring in this and last season's TPWKY book Club series. As always, we'd love to hear from you about how you're in joying these episodes, whether you have any book suggestions for future episodes, favorite episodes so far. Whatever your thoughts are, send them to us via the contact us form on our website. All right, let's get into the book of the week. Doctor Paul Offitt joins us to discuss his recent book, Tell Me When It's Over and Insider's Guide to Deciphering COVID myths and navigating our post pandemic world. Frequent listeners of the podcast are no doubt familiar with doctor off It's name. We've mentioned a few of his previous books in some of our episodes, such as his book Vaccinated, One Man's Quest to Defeat the World's Deadliest Diseases, which tells the story of Maurice Hillman, who developed many of the most common vaccines in use today. Or maybe you've heard us mention Deadly Choices, How the anti vaccine movement Threatens Us All, which takes readers through the history and rise of anti vaccine sentiment. And doctor Offitt is somewhat of a public health celebrity, appearing on popular news programs championing the life saving power of vaccines. Off Its titles and credentials are almost too long to list. The Maurice Hillman, Professor of Vaccinology, Professor of Pediatrics at the Pariland School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, member of the FDA Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, and so many others. But perhaps one of his biggest accomplishments is as co inventor of a rotavirus vaccine, which has prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths around the world. Off It's passion for communicating about the power and safety of vaccines, as well as combating the miss and disinformation undermining public health efforts takes shape in his newest book about the COVID pandemic. In the aptly name Tell Me When It's Over, Afa takes readers through what we have learned about the COVID pandemic and stars COVID two, the virus at the center of it all. He breaks down where this virus originated, dismantles the lab leak conspiracy theory, discusses some of the ways that the public lost confidence in US government institutions during the pandemic. Explores this new flavor of anti vaccine sentiment that took hold during COVID and which has really only grown since, and presents ways that we can fight against the rise in anti science and regain public trust. The COVID pandemic revealed how we can accomplish incredible feats by investing time and resources into public health, giving us a safe and effective vaccine in record speed, But it also showed the gaps in our system, how myths and disinformation can quickly fill a knowledge foroid, and how crucial it is to learn how to communicate our science to the public, including when science doesn't know it all or gets it wrong. COVID is here to stay, and unless we do something about it, so is this rise in anti science and anti vaccine sentiment. Let's get into this interview right after this break, Doctor Offitt, I really can't express how excited I am to be chatting with you today. You are a huge public health hero of mine and the incredible and impactful science can communication work that you do, especially when it comes to vaccines, and not to mention your work on developing said life saving vaccines, it is simply amazing. So thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for asking me. It's my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Your latest book, Tell Me when it's over, covers the COVID pandemic, getting to the root of some COVID myths, explaining the vaccine, and it essentially acts as a guide for how we're supposed to get used to this post pandemic world. How did you decide that you wanted to write this book?
Speaker 2: What was cathartic? I mean, I am you know, the virus came into the US early twenty twenty. In April, Francis Collins, who was then head of the NIH, asked me to be part of this public private partnership called active activ which stood for Accelerating COVID Technological Innovations and Vaccines, and so you know, we were essentially advising pharmaceutical companies on how best to test vaccines and potential law viral and I'm on the FDA's Vaccine Advisory Committee, so I really got to watch this up close. And in many ways the book was cathartic. I don't know if you remember, with the way it played out in twenty twenty. Aside from having nothing right, we didn't have anti virals. To October, we didn't have monoclonals. Still in November, we didn't have vaccines stil December, so ate nothing other than avoiding human to human contact. And then in April, the Trump administration was convinced that hydroxy cleric when was our ticket out right. This was going to be the magic medicine that was going to make it all go away. And so the government bought almost thirty million doses of hydroxychloric WIN and successfully twisted the arm of the FDA to authorize it without any evidence that it worked, without any evidence that it worked to either treat or prevent the disease. You certainly already knew about the safety issues, which were potential harder rhythms, and so they approved it, and that scared people. It scared me, I wrote an op ed for The New York Times, saying, fearing in October, surprise, here the Trump administration successfully twisted the arm of the FDA to approve it drug that didn't necessarily work to treat it preventzies. That's their job, I mean, the job of the FDA is stand to stand between pharmaceutical companies and the public and protect the public. So now you know you're scared about how the vaccine's going to play out, right, I mean, the Trump pulled Stephen Hahn into his office and in an invective, Leyden Tirade said, I want this vaccine out before the election, which was the beginning of November. And were that to be true, then you wouldn't have that two month safety follow up that you have for pretty much every vaccine after the last nose, which wouldn't be till December. So the Hans still to his credit, stood up to him put it on their website this is what we're going to do. But people still didn't. Now you've really had a critical loss of trust in the FDA. Country after country, state after state stood up and said we're going to have our own vaccine advisor committees. Trust us. They didn't trust the Vaccine Advisory Committee. And so it was a really turbulent time. And between that and a number of what I think were communications errors, including not trivia ones that occurred after that, I just this was a catharsis. I just had to get this book out. I feel much better now, thank you for letting me write it.
Speaker 1: And as you began putting this book together and deciding what you wanted to include. How was your approach guided by your intended audience and was that audience. Is your audience for this book different than for past books that you've written.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's the same. I think it's the same for all my books. I guess the audience will desire that, but it's for a general audience. It's kind of what happened because I think in many ways, the book is a story of two remarkable, contrasting things. One is that we isolate a virus in January of twenty twenty we sequence it so now you can potentially make a vaccine. It's an unusual virus, had an interesting sort of biological and clinical characteristics. And then eleven months later, using a technology a messenger RNA that we never used before, we had no experience with that technology. We're with the vector virus approach by Johnson and Johnson. You had two large clinical trials and then the in February of twenty twenty one, you had a large J and J. Johnson and Johnson trial that showed that the vaccines were effective, remarkably effective. And then over a period of six or seven months, we immunized seventy percent for the US population a million people a day, two million people a day, three million people a day. And then, and I think that I think that was the most significant scientific and medical accomplishment in my lifetime. And I'm old, so my lifetime includes the development of the polio vaccine. I think it was amazing. Actually, then we hit a wall and by mid twenty twenty one thirty percent of this country did not want to get vaccinated. Ultimately, three hundred thousand people lost their life because they didn't trust us. They didn't trust the FDA, didn't trust the CDC, they didn't trust other public health agencies. Why what happened? How did we lose that trust? And I think that's why I wrote the book What happened? How do we lose it? And how can we get it back.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break here. We'll be back before you know it. Welcome back, everyone, I'm here chatting with doctor Paul Offitt about his book. Tell me when it's over. Let's jump back into some questions. Like you said, you've been in the vaccine game for quite some time, and you've witnessed firsthand and have written and spoken a lot about this rise in anti vaccine sentiment over the past few decades. But now post COVID and during cod we're seeing a drop in vaccine compliance rates unlike anything previously witnessed. What do you think is unique about this decline and why was COVID this perfect storm to grow anti vaccine in anti science sentiment.
Speaker 2: Well, I would have imagined the opposite was true. I mean, typically what anti vaccine activists will say is, give me a pandemic, then I get the idea of being vaccinated or even mandating vaccinating vaccines. Give me, show me a pandemic. Well, this was a pandemic. We had more than one point one million people dying this country. People were dying right in front of us. I think all of us at least know someone who was at least seriously ill and died. I mean, my aunt died of this virus. And so you didn't have to convince people. I would think that it was real and the vaccine clearly worked and it was safe. It wasn't absolutely safe, but it was pretty darn safe, the mRNA vaccines. It was my caroditis within four days of those two, which was generally self resolving and short lived. But in the scheme of things, considering it was a novel technology for a novel virus, we I never really saw the other shoe drop. So so you had you had your ticket out of this pandemic, and nonetheless people rejecting. And I think the reason was because you're right. I think the anti vaccine movement is stronger. They're better funded, and they're stronger, and I think it all has to do with this, which is politics. I think they're there. Although there's always a political implication for vaccines because they require support, you know that they you're going anything I think that requires funding public funding is going to be political, but it doesn't have to be partisan. But this was partisan, you know. On the left, anti vaccine activity was always you know, just don't inject me with anything with a chemical name, you know, so which is pretty much water of course has a chemical claim. And on the right it was this libertarian I don't want the government to tell me what to do. That is the current politics, which is federal government off my back. And and so that's where all the money came from. Eric Trump at you know, Donald Trump's son stood up at one of the brollies and said, if you don't want to get a vaccine, know that the Republican Party has your back, which is amazing because it was the Trump administration that created this vaccine with Operation Warp Speed. And yet, if anything, Donald Trump distanced himself from arguably his greatest accomplishment. So they're they're very well funded, they're more active than ever, and I think that at the heart of it is mandates. I think when we mandated that vaccine and people lost their jobs and people couldn't go to the bar they wanted to go through, the restaurant they wanted to go to, the sporting events closed down, you know, schools closed, travel was restricted. People felt that, you know, they were mandated to wear masks, mandated to get a vaccine, and that leaned into this libertarian left hook. And this is what you have, a well funded, sort of libertarian anti vaccine campaign that has now been embraced by the right.
Speaker 1: And I kind of wanted to get into this a little bit more when it comes to like how this miss disinformation spread and the role of social media. What do you think social media is doing to kind of facilitate the spread of this bad scientific information?
Speaker 2: Right, you can very easily find awful information about vaccines that will fit any conspiracy theory. If you're hesitant about getting a vaccine, and it's understandable that you would be hesitant. I mean, you're asking people who are otherwise healthy to inject themselves with a biological. In this case, the biological is something with which we had no experience, and it's a genetic vaccine. And the minute you say that word genetic, people are thinking it's going to alter my genes. And that's part of the argument that people have made. Right there's DNA fragments in this vaccine that will alter your genome and or that the mRNA can you know, can enter your nucleus and get reverse transcribed and then enter your DNA and that would be the best news for gene therapy ever, if that actually was possible with this m RNA vaccines. But you know, so it's very easy to get that notion out there that this vaccines can do harm. The CDC director in two thousand and nine was a man named Richard Besser, and that's when we had this wine flu pandemic, and he was great. He was out there every other day, every third day, in front of the media, answering their questions. This is what the vaccine is, this is how we're going to distribute it, this is how it's made, this is what the virus is doing. This is where the virus is now, there's where this is where we expect the virus is going to be. He was the model of how you communicate what we were doing and why we were doing it. So I saw him at a National Foundation of Infectious Disease meeting a couple of months ago and I said that to him. I said, you were great, you were a model. He said, thank you. I could never do it today. Two reasons politics and social media.
Speaker 1: You know, I want to go back to something that you mentioned, which is about how this anti vaccine movement is so much better funded these days. And you know, when it comes to other subjects that are popular with the anti science crowd, so things like human and climate change, or historically cigarettes and lung cancer feel like it's easier to see it's easier to make those connections, to see the motivations of the people or the groups that are spreading disinformation with climate change. Of course, the fossil fuel industry doesn't want to lose profits as a result. Of changing policies, and that's more or less the same thing with big tobacco. As soon as that link about lung cancer and cigarettes came out, it was like, let's quash this pretty clear motivation there. But I feel like identifying the drivers of the anti vaccine disinformation campaigns it's not as straightforward. So how can we categorize some of those drivers?
Speaker 2: No, that's a really good point. I haven't thought of it that way, But you're right. I mean, what exactly is the financial motivation here? Assuming there's always a financial motivation? And I think it's just an expression of this notion of autonomy, sort of personal freedoms, and that the uber allis. I think that's just sort of become the ra of the Republican right. And I think that's why, especially although well the right, I'll just say, and so that's their current mantra. I think it just fits into their zeitgeist. I'm not sure that there is any financial motivation, but there's certainly a lot of money to support it, I mean more so than there is. You know, there was an article ramonograph by a group called the Center for Countering Digital Hate, and they had what they called the disinformation doesn't, and so it was twelve people or groups that accounted for about seventy percent of the misinformation it was out there. Their funding was often the same. They all got pretty much funding from the same source, which was the dietary supplement industry, which in many ways is the same thing, because there are two. As a matter of medical freedoms, we don't want the FDA telling us what we can or can say, because when we say things like, you know, this will make your prostate smaller or this will make your immune system better, we want to be able to say that even though we have no evidence that that's true. And so the f HE sort of pushes back and doesn't really let you say that. You have to be vague or right. It supports pro sate health, im you and heal you, heart health, whatever, and so they really are in many ways aligned with this group, which also likes to make claims that are unsupported.
Speaker 1: And I feel like so much of this has to do too with how uncertainty is communicated in popular media, where scientists and people trained as scientists or as medical practitioners are sort of it's ingrained in us to be more conservative in saying this causes this, or this is the evidence for this, or there's a strong relationship. And I kind of wanted this as like a very roundabout way of getting to my question, which is sort of about the way you think that scientists are trained in how to communicate with the public or the popular media, and how we can do better with that.
Speaker 2: I think our training as scientists is the opposite of the training that we need to educate the public and the about scientific issues, because when you write a scientific paper or a publish or scientific paper, the biggest sin you can commit is to ever go beyond the data in front of you, so you are a good scientific paper is one that in theory draws a conclusion and then the discussion section is full of caveats. Right, I really can't say this or this or this because my data limit me in terms of what I can say about that, and so we're always very careful. That's number one that doesn't come off well, at least in a popular press or in the media, because it sounds like you're wishy washy. It sounds like you're not sure of what you're saying. The other thing is is just the nature of the scientific method, which is that you formulate hypothesis, and then you can do two things with that hypothesis. You can reject it or not reject it, but you can never accept it, which is to say you can never prove never because the null hypothesis is paramount, and you can't ever accept the n all high positive. So I mean so as as an example, as a little boy, I watched the TV show Superman, which was black and white, and Christopher Reeve was it was before Chris Reeve was George Reeves. And you know, he flew. And when you're five years old and you're watching TV, TV does not lie, and so so you know he tie it. He'd had his cape and his hair would fly, and he would look at the city below and he would fly. So what I did was I went in the backyard and on a small chair, I stood up, and I put a towel around me and put my hands in front of me using the interlocking thumb grip, which I thought was critical to the whole experience because that's what he did. And I jumped a few times and didn't fly. You know, spoiler alert, I didn't fly. Now I could have done it a million times, that wouldn't have proven that I couldn't fly, it would only have made it all the more statistically unlikely. I could have done it a billion times, ten billion times, because the scientific method does not allow me to say I can't fly, the least not without a plane, but I can't fly. And so I can say that, and I think you have to get used to that. So, for example, you can't say the MMR vaccine doesn't cause autism. All you can say is that there are eighteen studies that have been done in seven countries on three continents, involving hundreds of thousands of people at the show that you're no more likely to develop autism if you've gotten the vaccine if you haven't. That's what you can say. And so I had to testify once in front of Dan Burton's Committee Office of Government Reform about that issue. Andrew Wakefield had just published his paper. He was on the other side. I was on the side of good trying to explain what we knew about MMR vaccine or what we knew about autism. And Colleen Boyle, who was great from the CDC, you know, she got up and she explained what the early data showed in terms of there was no association, no statistical association with those two things. But Dan Burton heard weakness in that, and he said, so you can't tell me. You can't tell me it doesn't cause it, do you, because you have and I quote an out in the back of this thing and so and so that you know, it's hard that you have to get used to that at some level that you are saying things that at some level scientifically you can't say. And for scientists that's hard.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break, and when we get back, there's still so much to discuss. Welcome back everyone. I've been chatting with doctor Paul Offitt about his book Tell Me when it's over, An Insider's Guide to Deciphering COVID myths and navigating our post pandemic world. Let's get back into things. What do you think is the appeal of conspiracy theories like the microchip in a COVID vaccine.
Speaker 2: Well, conspiracy theories are easy to understand. They explain something clearly, They give you a handle on it, even if it's not true. I mean, I think the best example at the begin this pandemic was the notion that it was a lab leak. This wasn't a lablink. I mean it was. I was actually just on Morning Joe this morning at like a quarter of tenant, and that was his question. He said to me, I used a thoughtful smart man, he said, you know, I've had people say to me, people in the medical field or the scientific field say to me sort of on the side, as if this is our secret. You know that we're trying to hide this, that you know this what this may well have leaked from a lab and you know it's it's frist has never happened. Never has a pandemic virus ever been created in the laboratory. Two is all the evidence is on the other side, right, I mean you hear you have the western section of the Hunah seafood market where there were dozens of animals that were sold illegally in very close, unsanitary conditions, and the kinds of animals, you know, red foxes, raccoon dogs that can catch and transmit a virus like SARS Kobe two. I mean SARS one was an animal to human spillover event in two thousand and two. Mers was an animal to human spillover event twenty twelve. I mean, you know, it's not like the black plague was you know, created in the medieval biocontainment lab. You know, it's just these things that are invariably animal the human spillover events, and you have have you know, the sort of pictures that were taken of that western section of the market that were sent to to people in the United States, media people in the United States, so you see how unsanitary those conditions were. And the Chinese really did look at for genetic evidence of this virus, SARS Kobe two virus in things like the machines that kill the animals, you know, the brushes that brushed the animals, or the tables in which the animals were sacrificed, were the you know, the the other the cages themselves, and found the evidence of SARS Kobe two virus there, So it's creating a lab. Then what the laboratory person had to do was then travel nine miles to to where this Muhan seafood market was across the yankste River and then deposited in a place exactly where you would expect an animal to human spill over vent to occur. So this is not a scientific countries. I mean, you don't have you know, the clear smoking gun. I mean, you don't have like a raccoon dog standing up like at the end of crime and punishment and saying it was me that killed the seafood vendor. Right, So you don't have that, but you have a confluence of evidence that tells you it's all on one side. And actually, my best, the best comment I've heard is that this is a promiscuous virus. I mean, it's if you were trying to target it to humans, it's targeted to at least three dozen other animal species. And so the line was if this was created in the lab, it was created by an underperforming graduate student. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we have so like you said, we have so many road maps for how this happened, and we people have been predicting something like this for decades. But you know, I think that going back to sort of this cognitive dissonance between people were hoping and hoping for a vaccine and when it finally came out, when it was finally available, there would be someone who's as their relative is dying in a hospital. This person will be simultaneously tweeting about microchips or tweeting about fatal side effection. The vaccine, Like, where does that cognitive dissonance come from? Maybe that's just like a philosophical question that we can't answer, but it's just something that I find really hard to kind of like grapple with.
Speaker 2: I think part of it is we definitely lost trust, and I think that there's a few reasons for that. One is that there's just a general anti institutional bias, so it's not just the FDA and CDC that's lost trust, Department of Justice, FBI, etc. Two is there is this flood of disinformation at a level I think we've never seen before, it's never been better funded before. But the third is that I think we did make communications mistakes and that's one reason why you lost strust, and therefore those conspiracy theories become more more attractive. So, for example, to me, the biggest one occurred in July of twenty twenty one, when thousands of men go to Provenstyle, Massachusetts to celebrate the July fourth holiday, and seventy nine percent were already vaccinated. Nonetheless, there's a COVID outbreak, so three hundred and forty six men who were in attendance got COVID, all of whom had been vaccinated, four were hospitalized. So that's a hospitalization rate at one point two percent. That's a vaccine working very very well, right, I mean, to do vaccines doing what you wanted to do, keeping out of the hospital. The other three hundred and forty two had mild or asymptomatic infection, which when the CDC reported this, the headline in MORBIDI Imortality Weekly report was breakthrough infections. They called these asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic infections breakthrough infections, as if this vaccine had failed. I mean, breakthrough was a very negative word. Whereas the goal of this vaccine was to keep you out of the hospital. The goal of this vaccine was to prevent serious infections, and the vaccine was doing exactly that. I mean, you if you watch Brett Kavanaugh, for example, Supreme Court Justice. You know he's entering the Supreme Court chamber. He routinely screen and found to be positive is around the same time, and they called that breakthrough infection. If you watch the way that the CNN carried that story, you thought the man was fighting for his life. I mean, Lindsey Graham actually had again, because this is mid twenty twenty one, it's two dose vaccine. Time he gotten two dose of vaccine, he had a three or four day illness that was characterized by sinusitis, and he said, and I quote, this would have been much worse if I hadn't been vaccinated. Right, Lindsey Graham got it exactly right. And how often do you get to say that.
Speaker 1: Even a broken clock is right twice a day? I guess yeah. I think that that sort of messaging has still had lingering effects.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing a news report maybe a couple of weeks back about the latest booster and how it prevented symptoms and X number of people who received it, And it's still perpetuating this notion that vaccines are there to entirely prevent any sort of symptomatic disease and that's not the case.
Speaker 2: This upsets me more than anything else. I mean, it's it's a short incubation period mucoastal infection, my mild infection is prevented by high levels of virus specific circulating neutralizing antibodies at the time of exposure, and antibodies don't list that long. They will fade over four to six months. I think we were fulled in a sentence. In December of twenty twenty, when those two large clinical trials were presented with fires or MODERNA you know, fives or forty thousand person modernity thirty thirty thousand, you know, placebo prospective placeical control trials, the efficacy was ninety five percent against severe disease. It was also ninety five percent against mild disease. And the reason is is those were three month studies. Those participants had just gotten their second dose. That's why it was so good. So six months later, five studies showed that protection against severe disease was holding up well in the ninety percent range, but protection against mild it had faded to fifty percent. That had to happen. And see that in combination with mandating vaccine. You have to get this vaccine or else you don't get to go to work. And then people would did it. They got the vaccine, then they had a mild illness that said, say, the CDC told me that this vaccine was going to protect me, and now it didn't. I'm having this breakthrough illness. I mean it really angered people actually who watched away. For example, Rhando Santis his stump speeches would often say you you all know the CDC told us this vaccine was going to work, and it didn't. Well, it did, It worked to prevent severe disease. Actually, if you look at the way that they're currently messaging the flu vaccine, the CDC, it's exactly right. Their slogan is wild to mild.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about something you discussed in your book, which is this difference between a deficit of knowledge and a deficit of trust when it comes to the COVID vaccine, And I was wondering whether you could explain a bit more about what you mean by that, and also how unequal access to healthcare plays into this right.
Speaker 2: I think probably the most telling studies were that those who chose not to get a vaccine often had little contact with the healthcare system, which I think is an underlining kind of the sorry state of healthcare in this country. I mean, we don't have a national healthcare system, so not everybody easily gets healthcare, and so therefore there's that deficit of knowledge because you aren't able to ask that your doctor, you know, should I get this vaccine. There was a story I tell in this about a nurse name or an intensivist named Britney Kobe in Alabama, who you know, who would often see people come into the hospital had unvaccinated, you know, suffering and dying. And she said, the question that I always asked was did you talk to somebody about this, somebody in the healthcare profession? And the answer was invariably no. And so I think, you know, if you looking, for example, people over sixty five, they're certainly more likely to it's the older you are, the more like you are to be a Republican to the older you are, the more like over sixty five, you're more likely to watch watch Fox News. But misinformation isn't destiny. I mean, they're also very likely to be vaccinated. There's ninety five percent of people over sixty five or vaccinated because they because we have Medicare in the United States and so they often can get healthcare. And I think that's that's key. But I think it is fixable. And the story I tell is one of Aila Stanford, who's an African American surgeon in Temple, the Temple University, and she with her own money, formed something called the Black Doctor's COVID Consortium. So with you know, many of her colleagues. She went into North Philadelphia, a predominantly black and brown community with little contact with the healthcare system other than an emergency basis, and she just sat in people's living rooms and tried to convince them of why they should get the vaccine. So they're seeing someone who looks like her, who they therefore trust, and eventually, you know, they didn't if they said no, she'd come back again, or she'd come back again, and she ultimately vaccinated fifty thousand people in North Philadelphia. She's a hero. She is an American hero. I just wish that there were a thousand Alea Stanford's who could get out there and do what she did, because I think that's the solution. I mean, yes, the CDC and the FDA should explain in detail what they're doing and why they're doing it, and yes, I think local and state government should do that, but I think that that Alas Stanford represents the solution to this problem, which is we have to find who those people are in those communities that are pressworthy and then get them the resources they need to get into those communities and tell people why vaccination is important.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I could not agree more. And I think that, you know, part of the challenge with that is kind of something we've already touched on, which is the lack of training for researchers or medical professionals in how to communicate information to the public. Where you know, we learn about how vaccines work, we learn about how epidemiological studies work, how clinical trials are carried out, but we don't necessarily learn how to explain that to someone who you know isn't sitting next to us in the same classroom, or even explaining it to them. And so how do you think this these sort of opportunities can be improved upon at every level, from like training, to development of these programs to execution right, Well.
Speaker 2: I think, as always, it probably starts at the beginning. I mean, my father since past been thought in World War two, but he explained to me that as a elementary school and high school student, he was actually taught critical thinking, taught the scientific method. We often don't do that anymore. I think that would help so and I think I do think that. So. For example, if you see the CDC recently change their guidelines in terms of how long one should quarantine associated with being infected, and they said something that made a ton of sense, which is one a fabrill day. See why that makes sense to me is that the virus occurs in two stags. This is true for all viruses. But so the first thing is the virus replication stage, right, reproduce itself over and over again. Then what happens is the immune response stage, which is when you get symptoms. It's when you make antibodies against this virus or or you have cytotoxic T cells to kill virus infective cells. That's when you have symptoms. So, now as the symptoms increase, because the symptoms are based on your immune response trying to eliminate the virus, virus replication decreases. So their argument is, and it's a reasonable one, if you have one a febrill day, if you've been febrill you had fever, wouldn't make sense that the immune systems abating. And if the immune system is abating, it doesn't that tell you that virus replication is really not a critical part of the disease process anymore. So you're much less likely to be shedding virus. That makes sense rather than saying, you know, quarantine for seven days, ten days, fourteen days. Because first of all viruses don't replicate on the basis of the metric system of the lunar month, So wouldn't it make sense there's just pegg it to the person rather than to this arbitrary number. So I like that, but explain it. I mean, get out there and explain it, because else what you have then other people trying to explain it for you that may not understand it as well.
Speaker 1: I want to kind of circle back to this issue of politics and public health, and politics has been involved in public health in the US for hundreds of years, even before the US was the US. Just look back to smallpox and oculations during the American Revolutionary War, and I think that for a lot of US, the political discourse during the COVID pandemic revealed just how much public health policies are influenced by the politics of the day. As we head into this election year, what public health discussions do you think that we'll hear more about or will be central to campaign issues?
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, But I think politics has always been part of public health because public health requires resources for there will always be a political component, but there doesn't have to be a partisan component, which is what I think has happened here. I don't know what's going to happen. I fear that what's happening is that science is losing its place as a source of truth. I mean, Kelly and Conway said it best. Well, we have our alternative facts, the birth of the term alternative facts, which somehow is acceptable. And I think with that erosion in trust with science is becoming now just sort of another voice in the room. Anything is possible. And I think we just saw that. We just saw people denying the impact of this virus when one point one million people died, When three hundred thousand people lost their lives because they chose not to get vaccine, because they chose to lose their lives. I mean, that's a frightening time worse. I think, you know, have hundreds and hundreds of pieces of legislation that have pushed back on vaccine mandates, masking mandates, isolation or quarantine procedures, and vaccines. I mean, these are the important weapons in public health that are being stripped away at some level. We want freedom, but we don't want protection, and I fear that's kind of where we're heading. So what changes all this, I think again, I'm an optimist. I mean I'm a Philadelphia Eagle season ticket holder, so by definition, I'm an optimist. But I do think these things have to occur very early on where we educate people about science and educate people about, you know, how to think critically, and I think some of that is gone. I don't maybe see I think I became a better critical thinker as a scientist than when I was an MD. When I was just doing clinical work, I think I was more of an anecdotal thinker, more of a pattern recognizer. I think once I moved into a basic scientist working on rodaviruses, I think I became much better at sort of hierarchically establishing burdens of proof, well, you know, formulate a hypothesis, subjecting those proofs to analysis. I became a clearer thinker somewhere in there, but I'm not sure I've learned that in medical school.
Speaker 1: I really loved what you just said about how science being just another voice in the room. And I feel like this is a future that we have created for the past several decades where in general there's been sort of this demand for and acceptance of debate, where we need an equal sides debate where on one side is the scientific evidence and the other side is whatever agenda you know, somebody is pushing, whether that's you know, big tobacco, whether that's people who don't believe in evolution. There's this kind of false equal footing debate that doesn't really exist because the science has already been debated over decades of peer review, over decades of conferences, and basically what science actually does. And I think that we have now gotten to the point where it's not even just a two sides debate, but it's science versus a thousand different agendas. And I agree that I really worry about what that's going to look like in the future. And I feel like if we say that training students and creating these critical thinking courses in younger students, that I mean, how many generations then will it take for this to make an impact in policy. That's that's I think one of my big worries about this.
Speaker 2: You know it, this is sort of a corollary to your worry. I think science when I would do scientific studies and then go to you know, double stranded RNA meetings, you know, to present the science of working ronavirus and so you would draw a conclusion and then you would present your data, and people would challenge your data. So it's not really debating science, maybe in the way you mean it, I think, but you know, they would challenge the criteria on which you based your conclusion. Did you do that, was it internally consistent, was it was it robust? Did you do the right controls, et cetera? And that's what you you wanted that you wanted to hear that because that's how your scientific studies got better. That does not work well in a public health arena. It doesn't. And I think the best example of that for me, well two recent examples, but one is the bivalid vaccine. I mean the bivalid vaccine. Was the thinking was reasonable, right? Omicron BA one, the original omicron came into the country in December twenty twenty one. It was an immune evasive strain. Even if you'd been naturally infected or vaccinated with alpha or delta, you weren't particularly protected against mild disease from omicron. So shouldn't we include omicron in the vaccine? Perfectly reasonable? So the thinking was right, let's do a half a dose of the ancestral strain half a dose of one of the omicron variants, which became BA four BA five. Not a bad idea didn't work out. I mean, if you looked at the data that were presented to our committee in June of twenty twenty two, it didn't look like immunologically, you were more likely to develop an immune response, a neutralizing antibody response to this omicron variant if you got the monovail vaccine, if you've got the bivalid vaccine, because of imprinting. That's what happened. So I was a NOVA vote. I voted no for that. Now the next day the government bought one hundred and five million doses of Visor's vaccine. You know, but remember I'm in an advisory committee, so we just give advice, so you know, as anybody who's in medicine knows, people don't have to follow your advice. But and then the clinical studies were done. There was one in the US, one in the UK, one in France showing that you were no better off getting the buiveil vaccine their monomail vaccine. So I said that, I mean, I said that nationally. I wrote a perspective piece for the New England Journal Medicine that said that, and it was published at the same time that David Hoe in Columbia or and Dan Brooke in Harvard published their paper showing there was no difference immunologically in those two vaccines in inducing an immune response likely neutralized and protective immune response against the omicron variant. Okay, that's okay, it's okay not to get it right the first time. You learn as you go, there's always a learning curve. It's invariably steep with this kind of it's a novel virus, it's a novel vaccines strategy, it's a novel disease. We're trying to learn as we go, and so explain that we didn't get this exactly right, but we've learned, and so you don't see bivilent vaccines anymore. But that's not what we did. What we did was we kept saying it was better because we wanted it to be better. And when I was saying, you know, publicly that it's not better, not worse, boosters boost it's a value for people who are in hig risk groups. You know, I was hammered by public health officials who were really angry at me because what had I done, I'd gotten off the bus. It's a divisive time you're on the bus or you're off the bus. And they felt I mean, because we wanted people to be vaccinated, and I get that, but don't misrepresent the data because you're only going to lose trust not only the public but scientists who see what the data are. So just be honest and know that you're not going to get it right, but see that the fluidity of that, the fluidity of scientific discovery, of learning as you go, is disconcerting to the public. I mean, I think if you ask people, do you think we're going to know more about science or medicine fifty or one hundred years from now than we know now, I think everybody would say yes. But when it comes to your disease or our pandemic, they want to believe you know everything you need to know right now, and if you don't, then you got it wrong that I don't believe you anymore.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, do you have, like any tips of you're such a great science communicator, Do you have any tips for science communication that you have found over the years, like work really well or even just like general advice?
Speaker 2: Well, I think don't be afraid to explain to science. I mean when when this whole thing. There's a surgeon general in Florida. This Florida actually is one of the I think only four states actually has a surgeon general whose name is doctor Joseph Fladappo. So he's become famous for his notion that he put out there and sent something to all these sort of healthcare people in Florida that the mRNA vaccines are contaminated with DNA fragments, which, first of all, it's a manufacturing residual. It's not at all surprising anything that's made from cells, and that's certainly the plasmad DNA that is the beginning of the process of mRNA vaccines. That doesn't just completely disappear as you go through the manufacturing process. There's nanogram levels of fragmented DNA, as it is true of in any vaccine that has made from cells measles, MOPS or bella of our cellar ronavirus, all those have small fragments of DNA. And in fact, we eat foreign DNA all the time, assuming you eat anything made from plants or animals on this planet, which is pretty much everybody, which ends up in your circulation, by the way, and it fragments much larger and in quantity is much larger than here ever getting into vaccine. But anyway, so he put it out there right, DNA fragments can can essentially insert themselves into your DNA and cause cancer. So explain that. Now you can explain that. You can explain how you know the cytoplasma doesn't like foreign DNA. It's hard to get across the nuclear membrane of a non dividing cell. Well, then you have to insert yourself into DNA, which you know requires some sort of enzyme like an integrace. But so you can. So I was on CNN right with Brianna Killer, and you don't have much time. You got about four minutes to explain why Joseph Ladappo is wrong. But don't don't be afraid to do that. Try and explain the science simply. Don't just say so. The FDA, when they dealt well, this is fine, I mean this, they said, you know vaccines are carefully tested for safety, we know you know, we know that this exists. But so when they do that, when they don't express the science, explain the science, they're basically saying trust me, and and people don't trust you, so when you give them something to hang on to, even if they don't necessarily understand all those words, they like integrace. You know, an enzyme like an integrace, but it is an English sort of sounding thing, right, integrate into something. So just I say, don't be afraid of that. Don't be afraid to say that. People appreciate that. I think they appreciate not being talked down to by making it too simple.
Speaker 1: In your book, you discussed many different important lessons that we learned from the COVID pandemic. And this is a two parter. So the first is what do you think is the most important lesson that we actually did learn And what do you think was the biggest missed opportunity or the thing that we the lesson that we didn't learn or unlearned.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we learned we can make a vaccine quickly and well, and that we can distribute it quickly and well. That was good. I think that the thing that hopefully we've learned is that we need an international surveillance system. You can't depend on a whistleblower in China to tell you that there's a virus that circulating that's killing people, and China was xenophobic. They didn't let other scientists come in. That gave rise to conspiracy theories. I mean, that kind of inability to let FORNT or other researchers come in. I think it's in us. I do think as I sort of talked about the end of the book, I mean, when nine to eleven happened, we all held each other and hugged and cried. We were all in this together. I think that was also true when Pearl Harbor happened. I think we do at some level see ourselves as part of a larger group, and we have to if we're going to move forward, we have to see ourselves as part of a larger group. There's nine million people in this country who can't be vaccinated, for example, because they're immune compromise. They depend on those around them to protect them. Do we have any responsibility to them? Of course we do, and I think we have to just kind of do our best to sort of emphasize that we are part of a whole, we benefit from being part of a whole, and just make it clear that that's true. So I don't know, I mean, I think we'll see how the next the story of the next pandemic is told. But there will be a next pandemic. We've had three pandemic viruses in the last twenty years. There we're not that far from the next one.
Speaker 1: Doctor Offit, thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me today. I really enjoyed our conversation about this rise in anti science sentiment and what we can do about it. It's definitely something that is always on my mind. And for those of you who want to know when it's over and how to navigate this post pandemic world, check out our website this podcast will kill You dot com, or I'll post a link to where you can find tell me when It's over, as well as a link to doctor Offit's website. And don't forget you can check out our website for all sourts of other cool things, including but not limited to, transcripts, quarantining, and placybreada recipes, show notes and references for all of our episodes. Links to merch our bookshop dot Org, affiliate account, our Goodreads list stand account form, and music by Bloodmobile. Speaking of which, thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode and all of our episodes. Thank you to Leona Sculacci and Tom Bryfogel for our audio mixing, and thanks to you listeners for listening. I hope you liked this bonus episode and our loving being part of the TPWKY book Club. A special thank you, as always to our fantastic patrons. We appreciate your support so very much. We truly do well. Until next time, Keep washing those hands, U,