Speaker 1: This is a TAC number of one sixty or so. So Joe, I am one who is always let's try the diplomacy, let's try the incremental steps here. I think we are at the point where what is necessary is a hammer blow against the proxies. I'll expand on that in one moment if that doesn't have the intended effect. And yes, it's time to go after Iran.
Speaker 2: That's former NATO commander James trevetis Man. I took in a lot of cable news yesterday after this news broke, and I didn't see a military analyst who didn't say deterrence has not worked. We've known this for a long time. That seemed to be pretty upset with this result. And yeah, I think they were holding back. Help said they were well. Mike Lyons joins us.
Speaker 3: Mike the excellent military analyst from CNN among other places. Mike, it's always great to have you. It's a frustrating day, though.
Speaker 4: Oh coome on, guys. This is particularly bad because we fail to protect our forces. That's really what this comes down to. This throne was able to get to the air defense platform whatever we had there to protect them and basically attack soldiers while they slept. Now, if there's one thing that we expect as a soldier in the United States is that our government will take care of us and protect us. And we have great equipment. But this is inexcusable, the fact that this got through, in the fact that the airspace was violated the way it was, And again, yeah, I have no words. This is a very predictable event. We've talked about this for months and now the administration has come home to roost and now we're going to see what happened because we run out the clock. There's no way We've all have this DISI will reaction. We want to attack back, but what are we going to attack. There's all these militia groups that scattered to the winds. There's no real target out there, So this is just going to go on for a long time before we get any kind of revenge on this attack.
Speaker 2: Well, why don't we hit Iran hard and then hope they can rain in their groups. Isn't that the easiest way to do it?
Speaker 4: Well, that would be terrific. I'd like to see, for example, you know, take their navy and put it at the bottom of the Persian Gulf and there's lots of things we can do, but this is still an administration that's just not willing to escalate. And it's we've got this almost like a twenty year now malaise of not wanting to win, and we've just we've forgotten how to win. And what it takes is just that we've tried to turns. We've tried all of these things from the diploma, you know, diplomatic perspective. But to Admistrebuss point, it's now it's over. I mean, we're at a we're in a low grade conflict with Iran, and it's surely want to when they want us out of there. And the question is just going to bounce to is what you know, what we're going to do about it.
Speaker 2: By the way, your tough talk is echoed in the Wall Street Journal, their editorial board today said, put Iranian ships that have been prowling the Red Sea on the ocean floor. That's from the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's one in particular, that's yeah, that's supporting the housies and collecting intelligence. And we know it's all there, and you know, we just don't feel its own issues right there could be on the brink of someone of a collapse themselves internally, They've got their challenges, and we just we just are whatever reason, we just fail to you know, put them over the top, and we just we're not willing to protect our forces at the same time, So.
Speaker 3: I have I have struggled to come up with a you know, a diplomatic excuse, reason, rationale for this lack of a serious response, and that was the only thing I can come up with. But at some point I'm reminded of Maya Angelou's famous phrase that you know, when somebody tries to tell you what kind of person they are, believe them. Well, when an administration tries to show you what sort of administration it is, over and over and over again, from the abandonment of Afghanistan, the disastrous exit, to the lack of response here, it's just it shocks me how feckless they are, how they will take no action, remind the right or wrong action.
Speaker 4: It's just in action, right, It's a it's a world they want to believe exists, of more globalism. We're all going to get along. You know, America has enemies. It's a challenge every day to think it through. But you know, this is not an administration, And the problem is this is now going to be It's going to go on for months and perhaps years if we don't start to fix it. We've got to start rearming. We have to start doing things to make sure that other countries don't feel the same way. Look, this situation could easily spill over to the Pacific with regard to China. China looking at us and saying, how are they reacting to this? Will they do anything if we go into Taiwan. I think that's pretty clear we won't.
Speaker 2: Yeah to your point about the troops sleeping in their barracks, my brother spent many a night sleeping in a whole bunch of different places around the Middle East when he was active duty, and I would be horrified if this were going on. If you're so, I mean, it's just it's just it's just hard to even believe it's real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a one soft target out there. If you look at that part of the world on a map, it's one of the most auste places on the planet, and everything has been brought in built up there. There's not you know, there's not a lot of hard stands, there's not a lot of ways to protect yourself and and and again you look at the fact that they let someone come in, and we should create that entire no fly zone. Now, nothing now should be flying in that that part of the world. We're gonna have to put the Air Force and Navy.
Speaker 3: Back to work.
Speaker 4: But that's that's the kind of thing that we in our forces.
Speaker 3: Speaking of navy, Mike, I know several of our allies have taken a pretty active role in protecting shipping in that part of the world, from the Brits to the Indians. Do you have any sense of how much naval brawn they could bring to backing us up and whether they might be willing to.
Speaker 4: It's not as much as we would like. We'd have to deploy another carrier group. I think from the people I've talked to in Norfolk, we know that the the Eisenhower just got there was a General four that just got back. But I wouldn't be surprised if they turn around and go back here within the next nine to twelve months. They recognize that the only way to project power there is to bring destroyers and cruisers into the region. Those other navies don't have that same level of objection of naval assets. So while while I think it's good we're gaining allies, it's the kind of thing we did during Desert Storm. They just don't bring enough military to the table, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: So I came across this nugget, and now I was trying to look up whether it was true or not. I heard that we had not had any forces killed by an enemy air strike since the Korean War, right, because we have controlled the airspace whenever we have troops you know, in harm's.
Speaker 4: Way, right exactly, We've always controlled the airspace. And that's what's most concerning about this, which is what this administration is, you know, wants to slide under the rug. Here is the fact, you know that we've lost control of the air domain and we allowed an enemy to come in. And again it's a nation state, you know, a bunch of Hooti rebels or she A militia groups are not assembling drones within their within their purview. That's coming from a state, It's coming from some kind of sponsor there. So that's where this I think is really the most egregious of the entire operation.
Speaker 3: CNN military analyst Mike Lyons on the line with US Mike, speaking of the drones, as you know better than I do. The history of military conflict is a history of technology. I think this introduction, and it's been huge in Ukraine of these cheap, easily acquired and armed drones is going to have huge effects on warfare going forward, and or just the stationing of troops.
Speaker 4: No question. And we still haven't seen them deployed in even more creative ways. We haven't seen them, for example, in swarm formations. This was a suicide drone that you know, leaves its station, comes never to return one target has payload on it, you know. And our drones are equipped at rocketter more like planes that decline and return back to base. But we've not seen these. If they just just deployed a thousand of these at once, I mean, if they would completely overwhelm air defense systems, and so we still haven't yet seen. We're at the beginning of what the drone technology is going to bring to the battlefield. And I think that as our enemy gets more creative and than we are, unfortunately, they're going to start doing those kinds of things and creating more kinds of damage.
Speaker 3: Military analyst Mike lyons, Mike, thanks, we appreciate the wisdom very much and look forward to chatting again soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks thanks for having me Armstrong and Getty