Speaker 1: You're tuned into Heat Check with Triste Quick.
Speaker 2: On this episode of the Heat Check, with Draymond Green set to return to the team today, we will have the final word on this incident to what I call scufflegates, and we will have a little news as well from around the league. We are also going to break down ten players you're probably not talking about. I made sure that this was under the radar. I made sure if there are players that are above board, maybe there's a couple, but these are all under the radar that are set to surprise this year. I can't tell you how happy I am that basketball is back. I'm betting the preseason and I am winning money. Tell you what, let's drop that motherfucking beat. Okay, it's happening. Draymond Green was on Walkabouts. Was he low key suspended? Was it all his choice? Steve Kerr said that it was mutual. Anytime someone says something's mutual, it's really they decided, you know what I mean, or the one party really decided. Draymond Green makes his debut tonight in the preseason for Golden State after being away from the team for seven days receiving a fine of an unspecified amount. People in Jordan Poole's camp are saying that it could be roughly a fine worth around checks notes sixty million dollars. Cause a guy who's already stressed out about how much money he's making and the contract and is worried about money probably not a fun scenario. So he's back with the team after what probably is gotta be his worst week of his NBA career and definitely the worst week of the Golden State Warriors tenure as a dynasty, probably Steve Kerr's coaching career as well. He even hinted at this being just one of the most tumultuous moments of the entire Warriors dynasty run. Very sad presser, very bad week for Dre. From the second that the video dropped pretty much changed the narrative on everything. Drey immediately held a press conference where he said that he was stepping away from the team on his own volition, which we now know, according to Steve Kerr, not exactly true, not exactly accurate. As they say in the presser, Draymond's been about eleven minutes talking about why he was stepping away from a team, why he punched Jordan Poole kind of some context about things that were going on in his personal life that he was very sorry. He also made it very clear that his reason for coming at Pool had nothing to do with the fact and people were speculating this that Draymond Green was mad that Jordan Poole was about to get paid a lot of money. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 1: On a night where it should be celebration and love and it still will be. But there is like this, this this dark cloud in the room, and I caused that, you know. So I apologize to his family, uh, and just what they've had to deal with over the course of the last twenty four to forty eight hours. And I will do what I have to do to make that right to my family, you know, the things that they had they've had to deal with. I know, you know my wife is you know, she's getting comments like he'll beat you at home and stuff like that, you know, as if you know that's the case. And so I apologize to my family as well for what they had to go through. And then most importantly, my brother's on his team who I've had apologize, who I've apologized to already. But for me, that is the task at hand to rebuild trust in our locker room, pull everything back together as it needs to be poured together in order to compete and defend a championship. And although that is the least of my worries right now, it has to stay at the forefront.
Speaker 2: He basically said he wasn't going to count the other people's money in their pockets. But I think that's fair. I think Draymond Green deciding to say, hey, I'm going through things right now. I'm going through things, and that's changing how I react to every circumstance. And from what I understand, what Draymond is going through is rough and something that as contracts loom over both of Jordan Poole and Draymond Green and all the things that are going on in his own personal life. Just a bad situation in a bad set of circumstances where now you've got to rebuild trust with your team, and now you've got to try to get back to a place where this team wants to pay you. And that's tough because if you're having any issues personally that make it harder for a team to pay you, you got to get that sorted out. Steve Kerr then followed with his own presser and man for a guy who's seemingly very open, very jovial, very honest, Steve Kerr wanted none of that. Steve Kerr wanted to answer no questions. He wanted to say absolutely nothing. He was not interested in the least in discussing what happened, what they're going to do. He was extremely cagey about giving support to Draymond or even admonishing Draymond. He was pretty much trying to close it all down.
Speaker 3: Everything is internal. So my answer to that is we've had those discussions with individuals with the team, and those discussions will stay private as long as nobody leaks those conversations.
Speaker 2: He's already talking about leaks.
Speaker 4: Draymond indicated that he is not going to be with the team for a while.
Speaker 2: Is that his choice or is that a team choice?
Speaker 3: Mutual mutual decision based on everything that's happened and discussions, you know behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: You guys have been through with stuff with Raymond.
Speaker 3: Before you get to a point where you is trust in any way compromised already, are you nearing that or where you get with that?
Speaker 2: No comment, Ah, that's the part for me, the no comment. If we had to add up all of of times in Steve Kurr's career as a head coach where he has said no comment, I think the number the tally is uh check. I think one. I think that one right there. I don't think he's ever said no comment in the history of being a head coach, to my memory, very rarely. Let's keep going really quick.
Speaker 4: You talked last time about how good the practice was. Is that you are you getting the same energy that did that continue today? Yeah?
Speaker 3: A good practice today, you know, nothing live got a game tomorrow, so we got some some good work and skill work and you know, conceptual stuff and ready to go for tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is this is an internal question or not, but just is the team and all and he's sort of like having to get through stuff in any phase and he, you know, stayed a shock. I'm sure it's different for each player, but are you sensing that this is something the team is still going through?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, this is this is why it's so crucial to keep things in house. I've been in this league for thirty plus years. I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff as soon as things are leaked, you know, now all hell breaks loose.
Speaker 2: No shit, Steve, all hell did break loose. We all want to know what's gonna happen next. Draymond, though, now is back with the team. He's got some bridges to build. Kevon Looney said this, but ultimately to me, and this is where I fall on it. Steph is going to be Draymond's biggest advocate, Stephan Clay. They've got big time trust in Draymond Green, and it's very hard to imagine, very hard to imagine that this team is better without him. But I think that this is the biggest adversity of the team has ever faced in its dynastic run. Very very bad. Was the Kevin Durant Draymond thing, because Kevin Durant ultimately left, and we can say probably that had a big factor to it. But this is even worse. And I hate to break it to people who say, just get rid of Draymond and this team is better without Draymond. They are not. They are not better without Draymond. They are not okay without Draymond. They are not a championship caliber team without Draymond Green. Steph would face an immense amount of double teams. Without Draymond Green, You've got Klay Thompson, who would face an immense amount of double teams. Without Draymond Green, they would not be able to get loose or get busy the same way they do without him being able to see the floor, read the defenses, and be an elite passer that he is. And also defensively, who do you have on this team that can guard one through five on the perimeter inside, be a small ball five who can play against legit centers who outside of last playoffs, Draymond Green has been elite. So stop the noise with Draymond Green being washed. Stop the noise with Draymond Green not being about piece of this championship team. I would say, if you look at the statistics and you look at the wins and losses without Clay, without Draymond, Draymond is more important to this team than Clay, hands down. If you want to pay one, and this is outside of this nonsense, outside of the scuffle, if you were going to pay one, Clay coming up on his new contract, where he's at offensively, defensively, and what you have in Jordan Poole and Draymond Green you pay Draymond Green over Clay Clay, I'm sorry. You already got your bag. You sat out two years and never played a game, and so now you make the vet minimum and I think he would say yes to that. So ultimately, I think Draymond is more important than Clay Thompson. And that is probably seen as a very hot take. And I mean where Clay is right now, not the Clay that we had prior to those injuries. That's a totally different story. Nobody knows where he's supposed to be at on the court more than Draymond. He's elite at spacing. He drags the other team's bigs out. He screws up their spacing big time. His passing, like I said earlier, is on another level. People gush over Ben Simmons in his ability to pass, but Draymond Green I think he's better in terms of IQ passing the ball knowing where defenses are supposed to be over a ten game stretch, I look this up. Draymond Green had over one hundred assists and twenty two turnovers over one hundred assists in ten games. That is ridiculous for a big man. That this is not a point guard, he has more. He has more assists than Steph Curry. Night tonight, people joke about Draymond being a triple single. That, my friends, is what makes him a Hall of Famer, nine to nine to nine. I don't care how many points he scores. Steph Curry goes insane, Clay Thomson can go insane. Points wise, Troydon Poole can go insane. Hell, You've got other people who can pick it up on a night to night basis. I don't need Draymond Green to score. What I need is his rebounds, his assists, and his ability to defend. And he changed the NBA because of him, the way that we play the forward position, the way that we see small ball five. There is a reason that guys like Zion and Ben Simmons think that they can be a point forward. Right, And then on top of that two points to make about all of it one, the Warriors need Draymond because the offense doesn't function without him. Right. They were twenty one and seventeen fifty five fifty two winning percentage without Draymond Green last year and with him thirty two to twelve, that's a seven seventy three percent winning percentage with him fifty five percent winning percentage without him. I'd say that's pretty damn impactful. And on top of that, when Draymond was off the court with their injuries, Klay Thompson was playing. When Draymond was on the court prior to his injury, Klay Thompson was knocked. So that'll tell you who's more impactful to winning on this team right now.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 2: Yes, the punch was awful. I think it was totally incomprehensible that we can't defend it in any way. But we can say is this We have to keep in mind where Draymond Green comes from, Sagan On, Michigan, very tough neighborhood, very tough upbringing. Someone puts their hands on you, which Jordan Poole did. If you're in a bad spot and you're going through something and your patience is shortened, no excuse, but you push me. I hit you in the face. Sorry, that's the way it goes. And in extreme stress, you revert back to where you came from. You revert back to the tendencies that you've worked so hard through fit therapy or you know, just personal development to work out at you. So the Warriors are internal right now. Do I think they're gonna be fine? I do, but they need to figure out how to put this all behind them. No matter what. There are gonna be questions moving forward. There's gonna be a lot of media buzz about Draymond Green. Every photo, every video of Draymond next to Jordan Poole is going to be scrutinized. That is going to be a thing. Are they gonna yell at each other on the bench? How is that going to be perceived? And I don't see the Draymond Green and the Warriors as the biggest story of moving forward in the NBA season. I did not see that. But here we are a couple of the stories though from around the league, before we get into our top ten. This one's interesting to me. Did you know that the Denver Nuggets mascot makes six hundred and twenty five thousand dollars per year? How? What has he done? Who does he know? Is that shocking? Is anyone else shocked by that? His name is Rocky, Rocky the Mountain Lion. If you didn't know that, Joy the club, Joy the Club? Because I didn't know that. I didn't know that that mascots had full out names. I didn't know that they made that kind of money. Harry the Hawk from Atlanta make six hundred thousand dollars, Benny the Bull gets four hundred thousand dollars, and shockingly, Phoenix the Phoenix Gorilla. He's getting absolutely short changed. Two hundred thousand dollars for Phoenix the Gorilla. I tell you what, those stucco homes, the cost of living, parking spots everywhere, grocery bills down to the floor because Mexico is just a quick jaunt away. Avocados are like twenty five cents per avocado, and Phoenix they are still short changing my man. Phoenix the Phoenix Gorilla. He doesn't even have a name, Phoenix Gorilla. We got Harry, we got Benny, we got Rocky, and then what we got just Phoenix Phoenix Gorilla. Hugo the Hornets, these are fake names. Make one hundred thousand dollars, which is what you would expect when Michael Jordan owns that team. Just cheap shit. But I digress. Considering that the NBA league minimum is one point one million dollars, Rocky actually makes more than an NBA player will make on a two way contract, which is insane. That's absolutely insane. Here is a list of players that made less than Rocky last year. Moses Brown, Quindarry Witherspoon, Dwayne Washington, Junior Man, my bad, Chris Chiosa. I know Dwayne's dad. He's if he's listening, shout out to him, Chris Chiosa, AJ Lawson. Imagine being Isaiah Thomas goes five for nine for fifteen points in thirteen minutes and knowing that the costume guy with the T shirt, cannon and the sick moves where he's you know, doing Shaken and Harlem Shaken. He makes twenty percent more than you. You're looking at him and like that guy makes more than me. She It's rough out here on these streets. It for Rocky must be related to one of the owners, have to be to pull down a contract of almost a million dollars a year. That is a shitload of money. I'm not saying you can dance, you can entertain entertainments with this whole thing. Is not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I want everyone to get a paid check. Isaiah Thomas should get paid. If Rocky's getting paid, that's facts. Let's move forward. Let's take a quick look at what's been going on in Chicago. Of course, we've been talking about Lonzo Ball. He's nowhere, you're near his return to the Bulls. The Balls are going to be in shambles. They are going to be a dumpster fire this year. They're not even going to be that fun. But the lost in the Loonzo news is that this preseason, Patrick Williams, the Bulls number four pick in twenty twenty, and the guy that they've been saying for two years is untouchable, the guy that they want to build around, to the point where multiple trades were shut down because they didn't they wanted to include Patrick Williams. And the deal has now been benched for Javonte Green, a twenty nine year old journeyman who has spent more time playing in Europe than he has in the NBA, and he has never averaged more than seven point two points per game. And guess what, As one Bulls blog point out, this isn't nothing. This is something. Indeed, this is something to keep our eyes on, especially considering how far the franchise has gone out of its way to pitch them to us as a cornerstone piece of their franchise moving forward, where he should be the guy. What happened, Well, Billy Donovan was pretty blunted. This team's better with Javonte than they are with Patrick Williams. Yikes, yikes. And Patrick Williams, keep in mind, benched himself in college. He did. He said, hey, coach, I'll come off the bench. I'll be the sixth man. I don't need to be a starter. Let's just win games. And that's very cute in college basket. That's not cute when we're talking about millions of dollars. We're talking about franchise altering pieces. We're talking about trades getting shot down because of you. We're not shooting down trades for a sixth man. I'm sorry. You need to be our second man. One of the nicest guys. I think he will help someone a lot. I do think this means he could be on his way out and when he was such a high value trade piece, what is he now? We will have to see our big one question in this episode though we move forward, is this hypothetical who would be off limits in a trade for Victor Wombanyama. I was thinking about this because there's not that many names, folks. He is a generational talent. So my question to you is who is on your no trade list for him? My list is shockingly short. I went through it. I looked at all the all stars for the last three years and just decided yes, no, yes, no. So here are my nose because the list of the list of yes, this is too long for me to give it to you. That's where we're at. The list of nos. Luca no Lebron James, no, Jahn Morant, no Embiide.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But it's all it's a pause. I have to pause. Jannis, no Steph no Kawhi, it's a pause. No, he's been injured a lot guys, Kevin Durant, No, Jason Tatum, it's a pause. But it's a no. It's a pause, Aunt Edwards and maybe no one else, and maybe no one else that includes Dave Lillard. You're gone, sir. I'm sorry. Oh Jokic. Jokicic is a no. I wouldn't trade Jokic either. Devin Booker, see you later, enjoy wherever you're going. And I love Devin Booker. He's one of my Paul George absolutely, see you later. Pack your bags. I mean, the list is like ten guys and it's really not close. Rudy Gobert, Deuces Diamond Mitchell, get your bags and go. I mean that's just absolutely bonkers, bonkers, bonkers bonkers. Would love for you guys to sound off in the comments, get into TikTok, getting into my Twitter and let me know. All right, let's move forward to the big segment. Because I was thinking about this, sitting around thinking about my favorite topic, basketball, when it occurred to me I wanted to make a couple of lists, because everybody likes lists, and I like to be right. We like to make predictions, and I wanted to think about players that were not being discussed enough as maybe guys that will be highlight machines or people you should watch could make a big jump, definitely could make an impact on their team. And after some work, I narrowed the list down to ten players, all whom mostly not rookies, who I will be keeping an eye out for this year. Let's start ten players, ten players, Let's start in San Antonio. I could do an entire segment on San Antonio alone, which is just crazy. This is the most non competitive San Antonio has been in over a decade and the most compelling that they've been. What does that say like? Is that saying like I am the most interested in san Antonio I've ever been in my entire life. And they're not even close to competing for a play in spot, but that's where they're at. I don't know what that says about them or what that says about this team, but I'm fully in. I am fully intrigued. They're literally on my top eight teams to watch san Antonio. I made a list today, top eight teams. They're all teams that no one cares about, but I do. Number one on the San Antonio list, Josh Primo. People came after the San Antonio Spurs, including me, including myself. It was a head stratch scratcher. There were so many guys on the list they could have taken with a twelfth pick, but they take Josh Primo, the youngest player in the draft at Alabama, and a lot of draft experts claim that it was a stretch. Where are they doing? Some saying you after twenty splot slots too early for him? And guess what, Greg Popovich, he may be checked out during all the Olympic cycles but damn does him and rcb Ford no talent and they are building something fun down in San Antonio. And I've got my eye on the Spurs. Like I said, they're gonna be bricking for vican That doesn't make sense. But along the way, I think they're gonna win games against older, dustier, more tired teams on back to backs because these kids are all like eighteen through twenty one years old and they don't care. They're just trying to get buckets, trying to get reps. And Josh Primo, when he gets healthy because he just had an MCLs brain kept him out for the part preseason, he's gonna be a center of this offense. He had like thirty three minutes a game last year, so in his second year, I think he's gonna be very fun. Jerry West loves him, and that's just a key piece for me to keep my eye on. Anybody who unsolicited Jerry West says to keep my eye on, I listen. I just just like a life lesson for me. I think he's gonna be very definitely top of my list in terms of players that could break out this year. Number two Jaden Hardy out of the G League Knight playing for the Dallas Mavericks. People are mad. Sacramento Kings fans feel like they have been cheated, that he should be a King. But nobody had more of a disappointing draft ramp up than Jayden Hardy. It's more about the dumb draft process because he was supposed to be a lottery pick and then he goes to the G League Knight and then he slips, and then no one likes him anymore. And now we take Shaden Sharp, which no one knows anything about, and he hasn't played in two years, but because we haven't seen any film on him, he's better than Jaden Hardy by a full round. And then some people are dumb. People are very dumb. Who would have seen that coming. I don't know. People think though that the G League is all eighteen and nineteen years old players, But there's guys in their late twenties with a decade of pro ball underneath them. Eat them. Some of them they've played in the NBA, some of them have played overseas in Europe, and they're trying to find a way back into the real association. But there is no gimmes down there, and folks are hitting you hard and they're grown ass men. And yes, Jaden Hardy struggled. Of course he did. He's a baby. He's a baby plan amongst men. Of course. Guess what. In the final third of the G League he bawled out, ended up averaging nearly eighteen points a game. But all anyone could do was talk about, Oh, Jaden Hardy can't shoot. Oh, he can't shoot twenty seven percent from three. Oh he's gross. That's bad. Yeah, that's bad. But there's room for improvement. And anyone who shoots eighty eight percent from the free throw line probably can shoot a three pointer. Just at some point, I think that that should translate. I think the MAVs absolutely got to steal him on him at thirty seven wow, so do they This team very high on him in the preseason. No one did less in the offseason to address their clearing holes in the MAVs. We talked about that. We said that the MAVs are one piece away. Maybe that piece is Jaden Hardy. If Hardy can be the game the guy here, this team is going to prosper. By the way, for his dismal twenty seven percent from three, uh in the preseason he shot four for ten. What's that math? Do that quick math for me? Oh yeah, forty percent eight for sixteen from the field and the MAVs preseason opener. I think he could be a sleeper in the All Rookie team. Whooh, he's gonna be fun. He is a bucket Alpera and Shngoon. Another player people don't know. Another player people aren't asking about Rockets number fifteen pick last year. They liked him so much they traded two future firsts just to move up and grab them. He was the Turkish League MVP. We knew he could play. He did not disappoint. He showed great flashes. But let's be honest, this team was going to lose games on purpose. It did not matter. They were trying to hide him. They were not trying to develop him. They wanted to get I don't know Powell, Ben Carroll, which they thought they were gonna get, and they did not get. Of course, like most big big men, he struggled with fouls most like most Euros, he had trouble defensively down on the blocks. But if he can pass, which he can, he has a nice shot. I think by the end of the year he played much better thirteen eight and four, pretty much the kind of improvement that you want to see in a rookie, especially a big man, and he looked like he was able to compete with grown men down low, which is exactly what you want to see in the last quarter of the season. Despite this, as like this dream shake, a cool Rockets blog recently pointed out Rockets fans are split on him. Some want to build around him, and some people think he's a liability who can't shoot threes and thus he is expendable. But I actually like Shangun. I think he could be a good piece. He can pass like Jokic. Of course, he needs to improve his perimeter shooting, but I think he can distribute as well as almost anyone else. That's his size and his age. And I think if he can improve on defense, which is all about want to, I think he can be a very valuable piece. I mean, they're a very long way away from competing, so let's be honest. He's got a long ramp up period, but I think he will show flashes and I want to see him improve. Alongside Jalen Green and alongside Kevin Porter, Junior James Wiseman. I know this is a chalky one, but let's be honest. He has not been playing NBA basketball for almost two years now. Number one question for this team has always been at center. That's why they went and drafted him. It's been a revolving door. I don't even know if you remember these names. David Lee, Andrew Bogitt, DeMarcus Cousins was there, JaVale McGee was there. Zaza Petulia shout out to Zaza Petulia, of course, Draymond Ran small five. Hey, let's be honest. Steve Kerr treats centers like Kyle Shanahan treats his running backs like they are expendable, completely interchangeable. He treats his center's kind of like NBA player's treat girlfriends, completely interchangeable. Warriors dynasty has never had their franchise center right, and this is what they hope to have in Wiseman. So this is what I saw. I saw him at Summer League. He looks huge, he looks really ripped buff. You look at me, You're like, this kid had no muscles last year, and all of a sudden, he is ripping out of his jersey. They're saying I talked to someone within the Warriors organization. They're like, he's just been spending all day, all night in the gym, just lifting weights, lifting weights, and for a long time he couldn't do anything with his lower body, so he's just been left and upper just his upper body. He's just swollen right now. And listen, there's articles that he's been in therapy and has gotten a lot more centered. Fortunately, he's apparently at peace with himself. Steve Kerr mentioned that he's been spending all of his time outside of the weight room. He's been in the film room looking at not only centers in the league, his old film at Memphis and some of his film from Golden State, old film on old centers current centers in the league that he can emulate. And I think that's been the main piece that he could get better at. He was like a little baby deer in headlights, skinny gangly, couldn't find his own limbs and feet, couldn't catch couldn't see what was going on. So like now he's filled out his body, he sort of has a real feeling for the game just because he's been in the film room. So I think if Golden State can use him in a way and he's comfortable developing at his own pace. I think they could even be even more dangerous, Like just imagine Steph Curry with a real center he's never had one before. Like imagine a legit lob threat for Steph Curry just all of a sudden, or Draymond Green throwing globs to James Wiseman with no one there to defend him because I don't know they're on Draymond Green. If Wiseman can actually stay healthy and he has actually improved in terms of his IQ, this team could be insane. And he's fun even when he's played poorly, because like I said, when you watch Deer in Headlights, it's that big. It's very fun as well, like you're seeing things you've never seen on an NBA flour, So very entertaining. Definitely a player to keep our eyes on. My favorite one, So this list is not in any particular order. Is shade and sharp, Oh my god, basketball porn is shade and sharp. Film. Portland could have gone and got Jeremy Sohan, which we'll talk about a little bit later. A defender who can play all five positions and defend all positions. They could have gotten someone like Dyson Daniels, who's like a little baby Scottie Barnes, but no, they decided to get a guy who had the biggest upside in Shade and Sharp, And you know what, I was very skeptical. I hadn't seen a look of basketball from him ever. I've never seen it, just never existed. Didn't even play any minutes at Kentucky. He just went there, sat there, and left. So I was very suss on this draft, partly because I'm a Portland Trailblazer fan and I think all bad things are going to happen to us because they've always happened to us. But holy shit, I've seen a few games and I am all the way in. I am so damn invested, so I don't want to mushit. So shit, don't tell anyone Shaded Sharp is gonna be our Koe Bryant. He's six', six he's so, Smooth he's absolutely balled out in the. Preseason and it's not really the stat line That i'm. Into it's like he's. Eighteen he's six' six with a seven. Feet wingspan he's got, elite footwork he can, block shots he has a feel for, the ball knows where it's going to be at. All times, of course he's a, freak athlete but also effortless at, his size at getting to, the rim touch around, the rim, that's soft pull up off, the, dribble, jumpers easy shooting deep easy like catch and. Shoot easy Everything For shaded sharp seems to come just. Absolutely effortless and there were People from portland haters said that his head was spinning in HIS first nba. Preseason game what do you think we've Seen No. Shadon sharp he's. Been injured he got injured in the first eight Minutes Of, summer league his first, preseason game his first Competitive basketball his head is spinning games a, little, Faster room shut the. Fuck up how about that now. Change fast he's, Absolutely balling and part of, me hopes part of me secretly Hopes that portland is a terrible TEAM because I want Victor wan. Minyama two, and Secondly Because shadon sharp's gonna get. Huge Minutes if portland shuts, everybody down, worst case first man off the bench and a closer down, the stretch he is going to be electric. TO watch i want To see chauncey use him as much as. Humanly possible number Six Is. Obi toppin ain't No Stoppin'. Obi toppin, THEY say i Don't think tis is even gonna be able To Stop. OBI toppin i think this is a breakout year. For him he looks, so good like, insanely good. Very intriguing, He's huge his feel for the game has gotten so. Much better he's added to. HIS bag i think he's gonna be a major Beneficiary Of jalen brunson getting there. As well he can shoot, threes now this man is like a legit three point shooter from. His size he is a better Version Of. Julius randall Like By, julius randall you, Can go we'll move you. Somewhere else he has a better Attitude Than. Julius randall he has better Ups Than. Julius randall and the fan base loses their Mind For obie topman and They. Bow julius so let's just. Be serious timms needs to integrate him into, the lineup and he needs to use him not off, the bench but as, a starter and fans need to. Be invested so when you see these tomahawk Dunks, from obi like that's gonna change the electric nature of. The gym moods, are bad vibes, Are bad tomahawk dunk moods back. Up again now you can compete down. The stretch, And Also, julius randall watch. Your back you could be Traded because obi is here and He is prestay another intriguing player that people are not talking about Og. An anobi why aren't they talking, About, him well because they don't run the offense through him at All. In toronto they run It through Fred van Fleet And. Pascal siakam and let's, Be honest Passcal and Fred van fleet have a little. Love affair they played IN The g. League together they have a real connection and they kind of hog. The ball they don't give the ball to Og And nick nurse isn't running any places For og but let's, be honest if he can, get better and we know that, he can and We know toronto wants him because everyone in the off season Wanted. Og ananobe they were willing to give. Up anything we were willing to Give up portland the number seven overall draft pick for him and some other pieces and some, other picks and they, were, like no, we're good and that shows you what they think. About, him right we know that Things that og. Has done i've got a little. Inside info he's working with some people to get his body, more fluid his body. More strong like this is a man who hasn't really lifted a lot of weights in his. Entire, career like what does that say that he's able to be a REAL deal, nba player A Fringe all star without doing the type of work that normal elite. Athletes do that shows you that he's genetically. A freak if the game comes Easier to ogi because he's, very stiff, very upright if he gets into a proper place in terms of, his conditioning in terms of, his rest just all of the protocols that make you an. ELITE athlete i think that he can Be An. All star he's already an elite defender if he can put it together on the. Offensive side and then That Leads nick nurse to actually calling Plays. For og, oh boy, Oh boy watch Out. In toronto here's what no one's. Talking. About, POKU yeah i bet you NEVER thought i Would, say poku? Did You alexi pokazhevski, all season, All Season Oklahoma city fans ALL season, Nba fans you've been waiting to, see, him right white string being kid seven feet TALL for Okc Chet holmgrun And now chet's gone for. The season but don't. Be Sad oklahoma city still has another very, very skinny very very tall white boy who, can dribble who, can pass and who. Can shoot and his Name. Is poku say it, For me Poku. Chet light he's Basically, chet light pretty damn good in the, preseason game, fifteen points. Five rebounds and this is the. Best part. Tenn asists tenn assists for a. Seven footer that is. Absolutely bananas there are not many men who are throwing no, look passes especially ones that are seven. Feet tall not many men getting tenn asists. These days the dude is seven, feet, tall legit maybe, the skinniest lightest player IN. The nba they list him as seven feet tall one hundred and. Ninety pounds one hundred and ninety pounds is like a fit six foot. Tall person and in an effort to, bulk up he said he's eating Maltz And burger burgers just all off, season long Just Eating, Maltz. Burger's maltzburger's it's, too bad Like because jokich Is a serbian, as well and he obviously does not struggle to. Gain weight he is a Very. Fluffy serbian so watch Out. FOR poku i think HE'S gonna i think he's gonna have a. Breakout, year okay so he's not gonna win a lot of games because they don't. Want TO but I think poku really makes. A jump i think he's the one player Outside Of josh getty because you're already sort of looking. For Him josh gitty's like he's. Right there poku is on no one's radar except for Hardcore Ok homa. City fans and If okay see really decides, to tank think about this. Next year you could Possibly, Have poku Chet And wamba yama all on the. Same team three seven footers who, can dribble who, can shoot and who? Can pass who? Stops them who? Stops Them With, Dort Giddy, Shay. GILGRIS alexander i don't know this team could win a title in two years, from Now, my lord jerem me so hand. Number, NINE god i Love The san. ANTONIO team, I Do jeremy sohan he Missed The. Summer league DO, it covid but he did do a lot. OF shopping i saw him shopping. A lot i saw him in Like Maybe louis vuitton. Or something he had. Big BAGS so covid wasn't keeping. Him down they just didn't want to play him. ANY games i saw him actually AT the uh At. The vedara he had, shake shack, he liked he liked my, my blazer, gave me gave me, the eyes said. What's up he had his friend. WITH him i think He Had malachi brandon. With, him anyway He skipped EuroBasket this year to concentrate on preparing FOR the, nba season and the early reports are, pretty good like. Very good how good reports are that this dude who is six' nine is able currently to defend as a rookie. All five positions. He is Everywhere His, model draymond green and he looks like he might be A, clone of draymond but he could actually shot the Ball. Better than draymond he has a seven, feet plus wingspan and everyone knows he can Defend. Because of baylor baylor was like one of the best defensive teams in all of college, basketball Last Year and jeremy sohan was a big. Part of that, there's A blog a Spurs blog Called. Pounding the rock they did a nice little overview of. His preseason, activities they said in his five and four, in seventeen minutes he had so he had five and four. In seventeen minutes that does not tell. The whole story because he has, a tireless motor, switching onto guards battling, in the post chasing. Down FAST breaks and i think That is why. POPOVICH wanted him i think that is why they took him in the. Ninth overall pick Add That, to Malachi Branham, to Devin Vassal, to Blake Wesley. To JOSH primo, like I said this spurs, team is. Very very, Intriguing Number ten Jose, grand theft Alvarado my Man. Grand theft alvarado he burst on the scene like a video game halfway through last season as, an undrafted player exploded, to the playoffs made life Absolutely Hell for chris Paul And. On Devin booker the sun's absolutely lucky To Beat The. NEW orleans pelicans I Think The. New orleans pelicans here's. A little Prediction If The new orleans pelicans would Have, beaten the suns they would have also. Beaten, the Mass no the pelicans could have easily Been In The western conference, finals last, Year and honestly i'm not gonna say, they would have but they would have made life Hell for. The warriors too it would have not been. A fun experience he's not gonna be sneaking. Up on anyone he's like under the. Radar one level he's not Two levels like poku. Or three levels, BUT then again i don't think he's gonna have to sneak up on people because he's gonna still be. Off the bench he, showcased his defense, AND this year i think he's gonna show that. He can score, in this preseason that might be the best scoring guard. In this preseason he might have been the best scoring guard. In the league he put up twenty eight and five on twelve, for eighteen shooting and that is as a. Backup point guard he. Didn't, even start wow This is what zion said. About My man alvarado jose is, hard to describe but you just know he's gonna bring that passion and energy to the game that you would want to see. Any from anybody he knows how to make. Himself a threat don't let. Him fool y'all he just had twenty eight points and? How? Many rebounds, five and yeah he's doing this, off the bench the. Most insane thing he was nine for twelve on shots. In the lane, he's, my height well he's, six FEET tall but i don't think he's. Six feet tall i've seen. Him in person he's like five ten, five or, eleven soaking wet probably one hundred and, thirty five pounds like. He is tiny he is getting in there. And getting BUCKETS here's where i remind you. HE was undrafted i think, he's a quicker better Defensive Version, of jalen brunson and that spells trouble for any Opponents, of the pelicans who will get absolutely zero rest when he comes. Off the bench that's all the time that we Have For. The heat check we did it. In good time we. Will be back we. Will Be, BACK what monday i Don't. EVEN know monday i think we Have a live do we Have? A live monday we're. Working on it check out the feed for past episodes from. The off season follow Us On the heat check as we get you ready for the twenty two twenty twenty three season. That is approaching we are less than a week away and Check out THE locked. ON nba podcasts i haven't checked him out yet to see, what IT'S like but i know that they are filled WITH insight because i saw THE rundown as i will be appearing on them as. Well all week do not, forget to download do not, forget to subscribe and please tell all your friends. And follow us please follow us at this Heat Check and trista. Crick on TikTok and if you troll me in, MY comment section I Swear to god i'll come after. You on video. Thanks for listening we'll see. You next time
Speaker 1: He