Speaker 1: Glenn Powell is the handsome, charismatic actor who has known he wanted to be in show business since the fifth grade. With roles in Top Gun, Maverick, Anyone But You, and Twister, he is quickly becoming one of Hollywood's most sought after leading men. But in addition to box office hits and magazine covers, he is also building a reputation as a writer and a producer. And on top of that, he is now venturing into an entirely new business, Smash Kitchen, offering healthier versions of pantry staples, available now in Walmart stores.
Speaker 2: Welcome to my podcast, Glenn. Thanks for having me this.
Speaker 1: And Cia told me about you first, but I had already seen you on television and hit Man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh I love that one. Yeah, and you were so good at that.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: And I did watch you. And you're Sydney Sweeney, a rom com Thank you. And you're a handsome actor. And you have other sides of course that you're very interested in all kinds of other businesses.
Speaker 2: You're a very good writer.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: When do you just start writing?
Speaker 3: You know, I've been writing since I was a kid.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I almost watched like the behind the scenes on movies more than almost the movies themselves.
Speaker 2: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: I was always just fascinated by the process of it.
Speaker 4: And then when I took a creative writing class in high school, everybody else was kind of writing poetry and pros, and I took on screenplays. And so I wrote a bunch of screenplays in high school. And that's that's kind of actually floated the boat for me a little financially when I first moved out to LA And now it's kind of proving to be another way I.
Speaker 3: Guide my business.
Speaker 2: Are you a Texan?
Speaker 3: I am a Texas born in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, you were born there and then you live there? You moved back from LA?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How come?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: There was I mean, always the plan was to leave Los Angeles as as soon as I could, you know, get to make my way out there, and then figure out a way to move back home. But I think also there was like a moment, I think, post top Gun and you know, anyone but you that life got a little bit more chaotic than I think I anticipated. And and and Texas was a nice respite from all the storm a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a crazy place. Texas It's great.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I come from a long line of Texans. It's like seventh.
Speaker 4: Generation, I think at this point. So I feel very a part of the state. You know, I feel like that state is really much.
Speaker 1: You have rocket ships in Texas, you have cattle ranches in Texas. You have crazy windstorms and fires and all kinds of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: Texas has everything.
Speaker 2: It really does. A very large state.
Speaker 4: It's a large state. It's also like a state where kind of anything's possible. There is that cowboy mentality to it all. And I don't know, I just feel like people like that's one of the reasons I loved growing up in Austin.
Speaker 3: Is like whether it's food and culture, like just all kind of.
Speaker 2: Collidon Yellowstone made in Texas.
Speaker 4: Yellowstone is made in Texas, I believe, or I believe it was originally Montana.
Speaker 1: But I think all the time, I think, you know, all the Sheridan's stuff has been made down his own ranch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a ranch.
Speaker 3: We have. We have a family place in East Texas that we go out there.
Speaker 2: That's really where you consider it a real ranch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I would say, there's cattle on it, but they're more pet cattle.
Speaker 3: Was not like a working ranch.
Speaker 4: I'd say they're more uh, they're more family, little little furry family members.
Speaker 3: But but they're uh, they're there.
Speaker 4: And I think that's like where the love of like, you know, food and entertaining all kind of came from.
Speaker 3: As we always cook at the ranch and all that.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're pure text, and I'm sure you're hungry, and we have all this food in front of us here we have hamburgers and fries and some sauces and little square dishes, these are your new products?
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are my new products.
Speaker 2: Where'd you get the idea for this?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: You know, ever since I was.
Speaker 2: Young, it's called smash by the way.
Speaker 3: Smash kitchen, smashash kitchen. You know.
Speaker 4: As a kid, we the family members always made our own hot sauce and barbecue sauce. We'd mix different things together to kind of spice it up or make it sweeter. And then I think, you know, being out in La for a little bit, I realized that there was so much like I think I just became a little bit more aware of what was in my food, and especially when you're cooking and like, you know, entertaining people.
Speaker 3: You want to give them the best.
Speaker 4: And I think, especially when I'm having a niece and nephew and cousins and family members, that people are consuming a lot of condiments and you see like the high fructose corn syrup and all the preservatives and dies, and I was like, you know, there's got to be a way for us to have an organic, you know, condiment but that is also taste good because I wouldn't see that out there, and so I feel like creating my own was the was the way to go.
Speaker 2: Jel mustard with anything?
Speaker 3: Is that the djon?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, no, no, that's not Jon. I'm looking.
Speaker 3: I think that's the that this one is.
Speaker 2: This is the Jon.
Speaker 3: Oh this is a spicy male.
Speaker 2: Oh that's spicy may good. It's really good for French fries. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the spicy males they had.
Speaker 2: And this is the d Jon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, try fries. Creamy, are good fries.
Speaker 2: Creamy and tasty, deep deep flavor of mustard. H I like that. I love djel mustard.
Speaker 3: I love Djeon mustard. It's got a great kick.
Speaker 2: To You have partners, I do, So who's who are your partners?
Speaker 4: Samir and Sean. You know, they've been a part of the Honest Company. Casper Jinx, Hello, Bellow, really really smart guys who are as passionate about food as I am, and who are also are just family men who really love to to entertain and want something high quality. And I think that was like the big thing for me is not to make this a venture that wasn't about integrity and authenticity, you know, and all of it.
Speaker 2: Those are good guys, they're great guys, incredible companies.
Speaker 1: And that's a really great product, a really great, great past and present. Yes, Chris Gavigan, do you know him, Yes, Yeah, he's in my neighbors so he was their partner too, and a really nice nice company.
Speaker 3: They're really nice company and well run and again run with integrity.
Speaker 2: And everything has organic on the label.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in that amazing We're trying no good And that's that's one thing that we wanted people to know. It's it's not the only defining element of it. You know, obviously there's taste and you want to see all that stuff on there, but if you look at the label, everything on the back of there, you can pronounce, you recognize it's real ingredients. It's not concentrade, it's not fillers, it's not dyes in any of this.
Speaker 1: Right, And and one thing Smir told me was that he wanted everything to be recognizable. Yes, So even the shapes of the bottles are familiar shapes. They're not necessarily exactly the same as ketchup, no, but they look like ketchup.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And yet you have your own specific ingredients, own specific recipes for these things. Now, hot honey, barbecue stars. There's is hot honey someplace.
Speaker 4: Yes, So we get the honey from Pennsylvania. And the halopen is all organic, so it's it's again made with all the all the best ingredients.
Speaker 1: And so and this is a you know, part of part of your healthy lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's important to you.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, part of being an actor is obviously staying in shape and those sort of things, but also like not, I'm trying to do this for the long term, you know, I try to treat my my body, my body well. And I think the other thing is I'm also trying to like live a good life, like I don't like to. I don't want to just be eating boiled chicken and vegetables all the time, like you want to be like, I'm a real eater, and so it's nice to go, Okay, I can feel good about like actually enjoying my food, you know, rather than treating it just like fuel.
Speaker 1: So how did you how did you come up with the flavors? Did you have tasting tasting parties?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the family has been a big part of that. It was like, it was so funny. It was like probably about a maybe a year and a half ago, we started kind of getting these recipes together and it was so fun to put it in front of my family and get everybody's taste on it, you know. And the hot Honey I've always been I always add spice to everything, So the hot honey was like.
Speaker 2: A big is this from the hot hot Mail? I think it's the hot mayo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's good. It's got like a nice, really nice aftertaste to it. I really love it.
Speaker 1: But you mix them in big pots in the house and then serve the people and try and see what they try and.
Speaker 3: Kind of different Yeah, we kind of tried different flavors.
Speaker 4: So we put a bunch of different versions out and kind of did blind taste tests with everybody and just see what they responded to in terms of what we were pairing with. And then we kind of came back with this. The American barbecue sauce is sort of a family recipe. We always like mixed different barbecue sauces together. So it's Memphis, Carolina, Texas.
Speaker 1: And so it's like I once, I once went down to Memphis and I judged the whole hog.
Speaker 3: You judge the whole hog.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like this is a whole weekend of judging. Is the big barbecue, you know, it's the giant barbecue. And and you go and there are there are some the ribs, and there's just the legs. Then there's just the whole the whole pig and the whole the whole hog is the whole hog. And how somebody barbecues it. And I had to taste so much pork and uh and it was good. You know, Memphis does great barbecue. Oh, I mean incredible and oh and.
Speaker 2: The sauces were delicious.
Speaker 1: And the one, the one who won, he had lemon in it. Do you have lemon in yours?
Speaker 3: There's some lemona you have to have lemon, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And then they didn't have any smoke in theirs.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so you don't you have a little a little smoking paprikas is that some smoky peprika smoky paprika.
Speaker 3: The idea was to not choose. Again, the idea.
Speaker 2: Cut the recipe out of.
Speaker 1: But I don't think we can make it at home for the price that you sell it at Walmart.
Speaker 2: No, the prices are amazing.
Speaker 4: Is it incredible? And that was always the intention. I mean, for for me. One of the things that I've realized, at least growing up in Texas is that so often people choose you have to like have have something this delicious. That's a price that people can afford, otherwise they're never going to make the change. And so I'm just really proud that we're not gouging people on like organic product.
Speaker 2: We have four products to start, we have eight products. You have eight what's the other ones?
Speaker 3: So we have.
Speaker 4: Ketchup just regular ketchup, normal ketchup, oh, hot hot honey ketchup. We have the hot Honey barbecue, the American Barbecue, dijon, and then regular mushard.
Speaker 1: So this is going to be fun. And you're selling like hotcakes at h at Walmart. Absolutely, yeah, You're your partner's told me what big orders are coming in.
Speaker 4: It's really and do you go and promote yourself? Yeah, I mean you know the fun your picture on the package. I mean I've seen some versions.
Speaker 2: I don't see your picture not.
Speaker 3: On the Actually I'm not going full Paul Newman on it, no.
Speaker 2: Because I will tell you. I will tell you something.
Speaker 1: Paul Newman's products are still selling beautifully. I set in on the first. I'm responsible for the salad dressing. Paul was a friend of mine, and UH and A. E. Hutchner. The three of us sat and I added stuff to the to the salad dress. Yes, I have part of the part of the original risk it was.
Speaker 2: This was for charity.
Speaker 1: It was for his Hole in the Wall gang camp for children with sufferings with terminal illnesses, cancer and horrible things. But he raised so much money from Newman's own for his charity. And I sat there with his baby blue eyes, you know, there he was tasting and saying, no, Paul, you have to add some more. You have to have real olive oil. You have to do this, you have to do that. And you know they were just having fun. But I was very series. I'm sure I wanted to taste like my vinigret not like some crummy you know, out of the out of the bottle of vinegreta, and it is a good saladdressing. And then they came up with a whole lot of other products too that I tasted and helped helped with a little bit.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think I think on sort of our next batch here we're going to be getting into We're going to be getting into all that. I think I'm coming back and having you taste, offering your ideas to give them to charity we have. We have a part of charity for no Kid Hungry.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 2: That's very nice, good, you know.
Speaker 4: So one of the one of the things that I'm I'm passionate about again with my niece and nephew is that, you know, I'm trying to get Smash Kitchen into schools, you know, places where kids don't have a choice on what they consume. But the other thing is that you know a lot of these a lot of kids are going hungry, especially in the fall you're starting school, so a lot of the proceeds are going to no kids.
Speaker 1: Good congratulations, It's really nice and I think with you behind it, and you're very nice partners, so you're going to do very well. So the name Smash Kitchen comes from where.
Speaker 4: Well, after after the pals, you know, entertaining, we always say, you know, man, that was a smash and I always thought that was kind of fun. But the other thing that we were talking about when we talked about that idea is just like smashing the idea that you know, just because something's organic, it's has to be expensive, and just because because it's organic, it has to taste bad. So we were like kind of going, Okay, how can there be no compromises? And it was really the idea of smashing that idea of having to compromise on your food.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that you left left Hollywood after how many movies have you made so far?
Speaker 2: I mean, you're a young guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know's I try to say.
Speaker 2: Don't you have like five movies coming out?
Speaker 3: Got you know, we've been working. We've been working pretty hard. Yea. We have a running Man coming out this fall.
Speaker 2: And what's running Man? What's running Man?
Speaker 4: Running Man is directed by Edgar Wright. So the original Stephen King wrote the book really amazing, But I basically play a guy who my family is in kind of a bad situation. So I sign up for a game show to basically save my family, where the world is basically hunting me for thirty days.
Speaker 3: So there's a group of hunters.
Speaker 2: That's why you're running.
Speaker 3: So I'm running like I have to survive to win. I have to survive to win.
Speaker 2: And do they kill you if you don't.
Speaker 4: Survive, So they they kill you. So so, and no one's ever survived the show.
Speaker 3: So I go on there.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a zero percent success rate, and I go on the show to to basically win.
Speaker 2: You win.
Speaker 4: It's really fun. You got to see the movie.
Speaker 2: I have an idea that you survive, you get wounded.
Speaker 4: Oh it's I get my butt kicked in this movie. Sure, yeah, this is This is one of those that in real life, off off camera, it was.
Speaker 3: It was brutal.
Speaker 2: But so it's like The Great Race in a funny way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two of my friends went on The Great Race as partners the reality show, The Amazing, Amazing Race, and they won.
Speaker 3: They want it.
Speaker 1: They won it, and they were just really smart and they outsmarted all around the world and they and they actually won it and won a whole lot of money that they bought a beautiful farm and then they started a business sort.
Speaker 2: Of like this no way, Yeah, it's so great.
Speaker 4: So my sister, my older sister, Lauren, and her husband Will, they loved the Amazing race so.
Speaker 2: Much that did they apply.
Speaker 4: No, they applied, they didn't get on, but they did an amazing race proposal. So when Will proposed to Lauren, he hit me up and he said, I want to do an amazing race proposal. So I planned all the challenges. It was all around the ranch in Texas and all around there.
Speaker 3: So we did like.
Speaker 4: Ten challenges, was all amazing race style and then at the very end, you know, it ended up on the.
Speaker 3: Dock and he proposed. But it was it was really fun that that's how big of fans they are.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so much fun.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: So how is it living in Austin. I mean, it's so isn't it so different from from Hollywood?
Speaker 2: It's nice. I mean where you live in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: You know, I lived when I was in Hollywood, I lived in Beechwood Canyon, so it's sort of like just above Hollywood up and the hills up there, and I really loved it. I lived up there for years and it was great. But Austin's just it's where my heart is, you know. And I'm a huge Texas football fan. I you know, I love the University of Texas. I love just the music scene.
Speaker 2: Did they do this yere in Texas?
Speaker 3: Texas? Very very well?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I made you know, top four and and I feel really really good. We got arch Manning as the quarterback does Come and Fall and and I'm and I'm making a show with with Eli and Peyton Man you are.
Speaker 3: So it's really fun.
Speaker 4: It's called Chad Powers and and I play like a disgraced quarterback who is basically canceled and he has to wear prosthetics. He basically his dad works in Hollywood makeup and prosthetics. And he puts on a mask and tries out for an SEC football team that needs a quarterback and ends up becoming their starting quarterback. It's really, it's really it's like Missus fire and aesthetics. It's like facial prosthetics. Yeah, you're going to cover you up. Yeah, yeah, you'll see. It's really it's wild. It's wild. It's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So who comes to your barbecues?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: I I have the one thing I'm not short on is. I've collected a lot of really wonderful friends over the years.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm sure you feel the same.
Speaker 4: Way, like dropping dropping through text, yeah, and our jobs, and especially like what's really great in Austin, you know, La anywhere it's like there's just this people are just kind of passing through. And that's kind of how I almost like maintain my friends and see people as I try to entertain and bring people over for game days or barbecues. It allows me to continue to see people because sometimes life can go by and you don't see people for a long time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So when you have a barbecue, what do you make?
Speaker 3: I love pork ribs? Oh, yes, poor pork ribs are great.
Speaker 2: How do you cook them to keep them tender and juicy?
Speaker 4: We have a smoker that I have that I that I'm crazy about. And then obviously, you know you got wings and things like that, But yeah.
Speaker 2: What about what about the grill? Who mans it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm in of course.
Speaker 4: I mean obviously you have your stables, your your hamburgers, and what do you What do you drink? I'm a tequila man. Do you have a favorite drink? Martha Martha Rita's.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I have a pomegranate Martha Rita, I use. Do you know the Resinics out in the Yeah, I know. They own all the pomegranate, yes farms, and all the lemons, and every they have a new seedless lemon. Did you know that they hybridized the seedless lemon? So they yesterday I just got five bags of seedless lemons from them. But every month they send me their special extract of pomegranate and I use that.
Speaker 2: And the best tequila I used, Custodracones. What kind of love is that?
Speaker 3: Your favorite?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 4: I have a favorite, I have a lot of different favorites.
Speaker 3: Is in a really clean tequila?
Speaker 4: Like it doesn't have too much taste, like obviously there's like the you know a zules, you know, class azul.
Speaker 2: And I don't like it's still too like I don't like, you're not.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: I like Customercones Blanco for the margaritas, the Marthoritas and then the special custom Draconates.
Speaker 2: But it's so expensive.
Speaker 3: That's a A is a great but I gotta try the martharita.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and it has pomegranate and lime, and lemon and a salty sweet rim and it's so good.
Speaker 3: I'm going to I'm gonna hit you up next time I have.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you my book that has the recipe and it is okay, definitely. And another drink that I love is the Cashassa caiperina from Brazil.
Speaker 2: Do you like that?
Speaker 3: I have no idea what that is.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's just lime, juice and cashassa, which is the Brazilian rum. But it doesn't taste like rum. It tastes like nothing you've ever had. And you sugar rimed the glass with raw sugar, and you crush the lime, and then you add the cashassa liquor and then you add just ice, lots of ice, and that's it.
Speaker 2: That's the drink that is amazing. It's delicious.
Speaker 1: I serve that at parties because everybody gets happy.
Speaker 2: It's not drunk, it's not drunk, it's happy happy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna get this book please. I have.
Speaker 4: I literally in my new house in Austin, I have uh. I wanted to set the right tone, so I literally as soon as you walk in, there's basically it's it's like a it's like a one story ranch style house. Really cool, really some great. It's it's great land up in the hills. And but I have a bar basically as soon as you walk in, it's really defining cool bar. Because that was like at the ranch in Texas, there's this bar that everybody just hangs out in and it becomes this like little social center where people are hanging, you know. And and and I was like, Okay, let's set the right vibe here. So I'm going to try out some of your cocktails.
Speaker 2: You ride horses?
Speaker 3: We r you do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What kind of horses?
Speaker 3: Got Arabians out there? Quarter horses?
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: And never I've never lived in a place like t Texas, but but it's it looks like it looks like a fun place. What made you interested in acting when you were five years old? What made you think that you were going to or fifth grader? I guess what made you think that you could be an actor?
Speaker 4: I was always a really shy kid, and that's what my parents always like.
Speaker 3: I was really quiet in real life.
Speaker 4: But then when I would actually perform, I'd become I felt like I could be somebody different, you know, And there was like a part of that that I just like really gravitated.
Speaker 3: Towards this idea of imagination.
Speaker 4: And I always had a really strong imagination, but it kind of came a life when I was on stage or or whatnot, and then I just was obsessed with movies. You know, no matter what I did as a reward, I would always ask my parents to go to the movie theater, and like when I was a kid, I would do movie camp, like there was this thing where that.
Speaker 2: Was your favorite movie?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I loved I mean, Indiana Jones is probably like my all time you know that that series I've watched over and over and over. And you know, as a as a kid, my dad loved John Candy and loved Schwarzenegger and we loved like it was like, you know, it's like I got to expose to some We're not like a high class art family.
Speaker 2: Were. What about Schwarzenegger's son.
Speaker 3: Oh, Patrick, he's a buddy of mine, is he?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would have thought so, yeah, I oh he is. He's played such a crazy part.
Speaker 4: You haven't done I haven't done White Lotus. But I'm so happy for him because he's such a great all.
Speaker 1: Of a sudden there he is and handsome, that big smile that he has, and does he like it?
Speaker 4: Oh well, he's having the best time. And I'm just you know, the thing about it is Pat Patrick. He and I played brothers in Scream Queens.
Speaker 2: Oh you did?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I was like, hey, would you want to play my brother? And he was fantastic on the show. But to see his assent not only start up businessman, but like the fact that everybody's loving him and embrace it.
Speaker 3: Just makes me so happy.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we're loving him so much.
Speaker 3: I mean, everybody he's great. Everybody knows he's.
Speaker 2: A great I know in that white loaded Yeah, the worst, but.
Speaker 1: We watch it, see me watch it to see what happens to these nobody's a good those shows, no good, no good happening. You watch The Father is the worst, and he's so handsome and you don't realize you think he's awful, but he's actually a very handsome Manahan's.
Speaker 3: Also a friend of mine and Sam rock Wells.
Speaker 4: So it's like getting to watch all these all these my friends in that show has been really fun.
Speaker 2: Well, Ryan Murphy is now my neighbor.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Please get invited and come over and visit me and him. Absolutely, he is so much fun.
Speaker 3: Is he the best?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's the best.
Speaker 1: So he did Scream Queens and that's where you you worked with him?
Speaker 3: Ryan?
Speaker 2: How was it? How was it working with him?
Speaker 4: Ryan is just you know, look, his imagination is such a cool place. He's got such a great sense of style and culture and like just really has a he's got it.
Speaker 3: He's got he works at it too, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He bought Richard Gear's old place near me, of course, Bedford. He's made it into a country estate so beautiful, and I'm jealous of his raised bed garden. He did stone raised beds. I do a lousy stood.
Speaker 2: I would raised bes. He has.
Speaker 1: He's out, He's won out me a million times. But he's a he's a lot of fun. But he told me that he works something like a horror horror first, the next movie has to be stylish, and he goes back to horror. He has a split personality, he said, and he does that.
Speaker 4: So that's what was really fun about Screen Queens is I got to watch this like stylish part of his brain where like he would dress dress people.
Speaker 3: Up and like because I basically said, hey, I told him at the.
Speaker 4: Very beginning we were my first fitting with Ryan, I said, Hey, Ryan, you know I was in a fraternity. I was like, this is not how fraternity people address. He goes, Glenn, this is my fraternity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was like, all right. Cool.
Speaker 4: And and the way, the style and the idea of what he was like making. He just has such a great vision for it, but we got to have horror and that that elegance.
Speaker 1: No, he's very he's very cool, very cool, and uh, doing anything else with him?
Speaker 4: Ryan and I have, you know, been talking about baking some stuff up. We're always we're always chatting. I see him all the time. But I'm I'm definitely gonna call him now that now that I know he's your neighbor.
Speaker 2: And tell him you're next time you're in New York, come out to Bedford.
Speaker 3: I'd love that.
Speaker 2: And uh, what about Richard link Latter?
Speaker 4: Richard Link Later and I are constantly figuring out what we're doing next. He's, uh, you know, he and I have both been on separate tracks since Hitman, but are constantly trying to figure out what we're gonna write to.
Speaker 3: We both wrote it we did.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that character is like, it's such a crazy it's a real.
Speaker 4: Guy, you know, Jerry Johnson, you know, he had this incredible career and just to do all those like characters and access and I pulled directly off the page. It was really fun and just for me, it's like one of those kind of movies that has like a really fun, exciting engine to it in terms of the thriller aspect, but it's really just about fun and identity and passion.
Speaker 1: And you know, you said you'd like to sort of dissect movies, and how do you dissect a movie like Top Gun Maverick?
Speaker 3: How do I dissect it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean that's a complex movie, isn't that a while?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know really good. I love Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: I had dinner with him a long time ago when he was still married to the beautiful, beautiful Nicole kidman uh and he was so much fun.
Speaker 3: He's a great guy.
Speaker 2: But he's a really really good actor.
Speaker 4: Extraordinary actor. Real stuff he's doing. Next is in next Level.
Speaker 2: You're and you're working on Top Gun three?
Speaker 3: So Top Gun three is a real thing?
Speaker 2: Is it done?
Speaker 4: There's obviously are gonna going to be going to be in it whenever it happens.
Speaker 2: Who are you going to be?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be a hangman.
Speaker 4: I'll be back. I'll be back as hangman. So yeah, but I mean who knows? I mean Tom and Tom cruise. Why do you want to kill me? Please let me stick a I don't want to.
Speaker 2: You can never die. Not why you're so young and productive.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to let you talk to the writer.
Speaker 2: But so you're working actively on that, Yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: We're so.
Speaker 4: That's Jerry Bruckheimer and Tom are really the ones, you know, at the forefront of developing that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I love the stunts. The stunts are so brilliant.
Speaker 3: It was so fun to be in those planes and how you are in the plane.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we're up and we made that with the Navy, and the Navy sent us up in real f eighteens.
Speaker 2: So what have you learned working with your Tom?
Speaker 3: You know, I think really more than anything.
Speaker 4: First off, he's just like a very generous person on set, you know, the way he wants everybody to win.
Speaker 3: I think I've taken that away, which.
Speaker 4: Is just remembering it's such a team sport, you know, And that's the way I've always seen movies, and you know, every crew member.
Speaker 3: Has to show up, every actress to show up for a movie to be good.
Speaker 4: But I think just his work ethic, he is so not shy about how much he loves movies and how much he loves the work.
Speaker 3: And it's like the way I kind of live my life.
Speaker 4: It's like, but a lot of people in Hollywood try to play it cool, and I'm like, no, Like, if you love movies, you love night you know, so it's fun to it's fun to geek out, you know, on stuff like that with him.
Speaker 1: I've only been in one movie. No, I've been in a couple of movies, but little, tiny, tiny parts. But somebody just came up to me the other day and said she just saw me in Bad Moms. It was Mom, and that's like a cult movie. Yeah, I don't know. People watch it over and over again when they get on the plane. I guess they just sort of zone out and watch Bad Mom.
Speaker 3: That probably fuels your whole costage or habit for everything.
Speaker 2: With those residuals, I think they're very small.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I can see how you can get rich on residuals.
Speaker 2: They don't do residuals so much.
Speaker 4: Anymore, because you know, it's it's really hard to quantify it the same way they used to.
Speaker 2: Streaming is very different from what all.
Speaker 3: Those strikes were about. Yeah, exactly, those those jecks used to be very different.
Speaker 2: So much fun.
Speaker 1: So you have a reputation for being picky and choosing your roles. I mean you can, you can afford to be obviously, what draws you to accept certain roles and reject others.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean really it's just whether I'd want to see it in the theater, you know, like, you know, you got to like I always try to put myself in the in the seat of the audience. If I don't want to show up for this movie, why am I making it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And I think some actors just look at the role and I always asked the question of like, who's this for and and why spend your time slaving over it if if it's not worth an audiences, you know, hard earned money to go see it. So, yeah, that's that's pretty much it. I just kind of go buy my gut in that.
Speaker 2: So your favorite part so far?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's a great question.
Speaker 4: I Mean, they're all different but like, you know, one that was really really special to me that I got to shoot in Austin, Texas with Link later was Everybody Wants Them, which was this baseball movie.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've seen.
Speaker 2: This, I don't think. I don't know love I probably would.
Speaker 3: You would love this movie. Have you loved baseball? It's like it's it's a great sport.
Speaker 2: I just went to opening day of the Yankees, did you really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I always go. I try to always go to.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a magical it is.
Speaker 2: It was a cold day.
Speaker 1: We sat outside and we had to wear a blanket, cover ourselves with blankets.
Speaker 3: It was so cold.
Speaker 1: But I have I have front row seats right behind home plate and just see and and that day, that day, Aaron did not hit a home run.
Speaker 3: I mean, it paid him enough money where he's got it.
Speaker 2: But the next game, look he I think he hit.
Speaker 3: Three homes He's doing great. He's a powerhouse.
Speaker 2: How do you like the new bat?
Speaker 3: I've heard about this, I haven't. I haven't tried.
Speaker 2: I looked at I.
Speaker 1: Looked at the pictures. I studied the whole bat. You studied it, Yeah, I studied. I love that you're inside. Yeah, I guess you find your seats. You can probably study the bat.
Speaker 3: You can, really, and.
Speaker 1: They showed you though, he showed me the bat, but it has a it has a totally different the same weight, but the bat goes straight instead of just gently curving out and up and straight. It gets a bulge in it. So when you hit that bulge, that's where they.
Speaker 2: Try to hit the ball. That's what sends it over. That's right.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: So it makes total sense. And it's this kid from M I. T. Who invented it.
Speaker 3: Did you know that.
Speaker 4: I wonder if it's like regularly that seems like it wouldn't be regulation to have like a bat that happened.
Speaker 1: No, but it's just I think they have to be the same length and the same weight. And then so he just had this idea. Well, I can just change it a little tiny bit.
Speaker 3: That is amazing.
Speaker 1: And the and the physics and the physics' amazing.
Speaker 2: So I love I love something.
Speaker 1: It's like a new it's like a new pair of sneaker for the runners that can make the whole difference between you know, three minute mile and a two minute.
Speaker 3: Miles hundreds of a second make it. It can be a win win.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: So what do you want listeners to know about the business of movies?
Speaker 3: The business of movies. Yeah, one of the things that I'm really trying to do.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons I'm making so many movies right now is I am trying to really focus on theatrical and reminding of people why the theaters are so great and because I feel like going to the movie theater it's like a habit. When you go to the movie theater, you remember how magical it is. But like I think, like right now with TikTok and all these different things, people sometimes forget about the magic of the theater and when you go there, you're like, this is It's so much fun, it's the best and bringing groups of people, which is which is what I love to do. So I think that's for me, like.
Speaker 1: Getting people back into that's very nice because I really love going to the movie the best. I'm tired of watching movies on my iPad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I mean I will say with Running Man this fall, we're getting to show audiences at CinemaCon tomorrow the first trailer.
Speaker 2: Are you going to have an opening in New York.
Speaker 3: It is why if you want to come, I want to get This movie is awesome.
Speaker 1: Now that sounds like my kind of like I like action. Okay, so I have a little lightning round to do with you, ma'am, which is silly, but people love listening to these lightnings. Hot dogs are Hamburgers hot riscuter ribs, ribs best side dish.
Speaker 3: Of barbecue mm hm, cool slaw.
Speaker 2: Favorite action film of all time, die Hard.
Speaker 1: A favorite filming locations, next vacation you want to take or do you? You know?
Speaker 4: I think after this next one, I'm gonna deserve some wine. I'm gonna go Bordeaux, Bordeaux.
Speaker 2: Wow. Thank you, Glenn.
Speaker 1: It's been very fun talking to you, and very good luck with Smash Kitchen.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I know Walmart will love you. Please put your picture up.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pull him in this thing. You have to do.
Speaker 2: You have to. Don't think you don't have to. You have to.
Speaker 1: You're too handsome and too and to appealing. And women are buying this stuff, not guys. Women are buying it and they want to see Glenn Powell take my word for it.
Speaker 3: Put my picture on it. Yes.
Speaker 4: Whenever we start doing salad dressings. Can I get you to can I get you.
Speaker 2: To taste it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you very n And you can follow Glenn at Glenn Powell One word on Instagram So fun?
Speaker 3: Am I allowed to take the burger to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, please put on all your condiments. Can I have the condiments?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Please, all the conoments okay