Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: In the last weeks, a major break in the case of a teen boy farmer who goes missing. That's right, Dylan Rownds goes missing, just nineteen years old. He wanted to start his own farm in Idaho, and he had just planted the first crop on his land in Utah and then vanishes. I'm Nancy Grace. This is Crime Stories, Thank you for.
Speaker 1: Being with us.
Speaker 2: We learn that a Utah squatter is taking a plea deal in the murder of a teen boy farmer.
Speaker 1: This as he.
Speaker 2: Leads detectives to skeleton remains his mom explaining how her missing son's cell phone helped crack the case and lead to the squatter's arrest. Young Dylan just scrubbed in sunshine, never had a bad word four.
Speaker 1: Or two anyone.
Speaker 2: His last known contact was with his grandmother, telling her over the phone he had to put his grain truck in the shed because it was about drain. So how did this wonderful boy end up dead? Well, the case began to unravel when his remains are found. Who is the so called squatter? It is a violent ex con who had been squatting on property next to the land owned by the nineteen year old bul the Cohn's name James Brenner.
Speaker 1: What do we know?
Speaker 2: Take a listen to our friends at Fox thirteen. This land in Lucien, Utah might not look like much, but to nineteen year old Dylan Rounds.
Speaker 1: It was everything.
Speaker 3: This is the pond he dug out. He'd talked to me about planting trees around it and stocking fish in it, and just it was just one of his little dreams.
Speaker 4: Now it's been almost a week and a half since dill In last returned to his camper. His dad, Justin says his son was last seen Memorial Day weekend at the Saddlesore Saloon, a bar thirty miles west of Montello, Nevada.
Speaker 3: I'm convinced that it's foul play. Every vehicle he has a retractor. Everything is accounted for and in place.
Speaker 4: One of the last conversations Dylan had with his dad was about his excitement for the crop he had just planted.
Speaker 3: He wanted to see it grow. He wasn't gonna leave. There was nothing that was going to take him away from here.
Speaker 1: You know, think of the thing you love them in the world.
Speaker 2: I know what it is. It's my children, John, David and Lucy. Nothing within my power could separate me from them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I grew up in farmland, and a farmer loves his or her land. It's a love I can't even describe. And this teen boy, Dylan Rounds loved his land. His hopes, his dreams, his plans, his futures all.
Speaker 1: Wrapped up in that land. So why would he leave it? He wouldn't.
Speaker 2: With me an all star panel to make sense of what we know right now about the disappearance of this teen boy, Dylan Rounds. But before I introduce them, I want to go to a very special guest joining us. This is Dylan's mother, Candice Cooley. Miss Kelly, thank you for being with us.
Speaker 5: You're welcome. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Miss Coolly.
Speaker 2: Before I get into the entire story about what you've been through and what your family's discovered so far in the search you did, I want you to tell me about the moment you realize Dylan is missing.
Speaker 5: So it was Memorial Day, Monday, May thirtieth, and Dylan's friend JD called me around eleven o'clock. I was working in my office and asked if I had heard from Dylan. And I said no, and he said, well, Karen called and said they haven't heard from him from Saturday. Now, it is not typical for Dylan to go two or three days without talking to him, but he always talks to either myself, his father, Justin, or his grandparents. So when we put together that he had not talked to any of us, that's when I instantly knew, because he's always in contact with one of the three. And my husband and I packed up and headed down because I knew they just and especially where he had been planting. He was just trying to finish up before the rain because there was rain, and we send that weekend to make sure his crop was in. And I knew because he should have called us all and been like I finished, it's done, I got it in, you know, and the rain's going to get on it. This is great. And nobody had heard anything since Saturday morning, May twenty eighth, at six fifty one. Am.
Speaker 2: Okay, how are you pinpointing that time? Saturday morning at six fifty one?
Speaker 1: Phone record of phone records yep, okay, And what does that fine record reveal?
Speaker 5: So he'd called he was talked to his grandmother actually, and she called him and he said, I can't talk. You know, I got to get my seed truck, my grain truck. He has a ten wheeler full of his trio to Kaylee seed. I got to get it.
Speaker 1: In the shed.
Speaker 5: It's raining because you know the rain, well, we're in the seed. He had a tarp on it, but it wasn't the best tart there was hole. So he was just trying to protect his feed and take it to the shop, the little shed that's five miles away to protect it. And then he said, I'll call you back, and nobody has heard from him, Sam.
Speaker 2: And that was six point fifty one am on May twenty eight, correct. And May twenty eight was what day of the week, Saturday, So he was working on Saturday morning before seven am.
Speaker 5: Correct. Always I get up, breathing and get going. A lot of.
Speaker 2: People don't can't connect with farmers hours. We grew up on farmers hours, so I'm up every day at least at five. But most people are on you know, they were revolve it around going to school and work. Correct, But it's not typical. It is typical for him to be up very early in the morning. So speaking to his grandmother at six fifty one am would have been normal.
Speaker 5: Correct, And the only time you know he sleep in and beat if he was up bail and hair, all right, you know, he won't doesn't go to bed till four in the morning, five in the morning, you know, so he'll sleep till eight.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a pretty big endeavor for a nineteen year old boy to be running his own farm.
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 5: So his grandfather and him partnered on this farm where the family farm is with his fathers up in eastern Idaho, the Idol Falls area, and ground is just too expensive. So Dylan's always done custom work since he was sixteen, you know, working for farmers. He got a tractor, he got a baylor, he go do custom work, and he's been saving and saving, and so him and his grandfather partnered on this farm so that he could start doing his own the last couple of years, you know, he hauls beats in a semi, a full semi in Idaho you don't have to have a CEO or be twenty one. He's done that for two years. So he's been constantly saving money, you know, so that he can work towards putting.
Speaker 1: His crop in what is custom work, So.
Speaker 5: That's bailing somebody else's hey, hauling somebody else's product, swathing somebody else's hey. Also just doing the same exact work, but doing it with your equipment. But it's somebody else's crop, gotcha.
Speaker 2: But now he's doing his own thing on that landy and his grandfather partnered on, right, He.
Speaker 1: Still does both.
Speaker 5: So he spent half of the spring helping the wine Cup Gamble tear out some ground. He drilled all of their grain to make money to be able to purchase the seat and do everything on his own farm. So he still does both. I mean the kid works all the time. The only time he gets a little bit of free times a winner when you can't farm.
Speaker 2: To doctor Jory Crawls and joining me, psychologist faculty Saint Leo University and author of Operation Soos, Doctor Jory.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being with me. I'm listening to Kennie Coolly.
Speaker 2: This is Dylan's mom, and I'm learning something about him. And this is very important to the investigation. And I'll ask Deputy Chief Elwood and Justin Borman to jump in on this. But if you trust somebody to come on your farm and harvest your crop, tear up your ground air eight. Tear up your ground, prepare your ground, bring in the crop. That is a very trustworthy, reliable person. Somebody that's up at four and five in the morning, works till four am bringing in a crop. That tells me, this is not like a lot of people that go missing. They're out on the street, they're doing drugs, they're in crack houses, they're at a bar till three o'clock in the morning. You don't know who they're coming in contact with. You see what I mean. This is not a high risk life. It's a hard working life. Somebody trustworthy that people want on their farm. I mean, you got to really trust somebody to have them on your farm, possibly with your equipment and your land and your crop. That's your future, that's your money for the whole next year is that crop.
Speaker 1: And people would bring this nineteen year old boy in to do a man's work. That's very un I tell you what tail me, Candice.
Speaker 5: He started so when Dylan was fourteen fifty thirteen fourteen fifteen, he was so frustrated because no farmer could hire him because of workman's comp issues in Idaho. So when he turned sixteen, he was so happy. We have a huge potato farmer here named Albert Lockwood, and they hired Dylan at sixteen to come drive a crossover. So your crossover digs a whole bunch of rows of potatoes, puts them into one single road so that the main harvester can come over. You know, you don't have to do so much work. It just cuts down some of the work. That's the pictures of him on the tractor I put on Facebook. Sixteen years old, and you have Albertson OLDI gentleman in late seventies. I'm not exactly sure you have him who's done potatoes his whole life, saying this is one of the best operators I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Crime stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: Dylan Round's a teen boy farmer from Idaho, set out on his own in Utah and was expecting his very first harvest when he vanishes seemingly into thin air. Then we hear a fifty nine year old James Brenner, who once shot a man at a Maryland campground in the nineteen eighties over a work dispute. He's out walking free. He was squatting on the land next to Dylan's property, and it was there authorities found Dylan's boots and farm truck. We learned this from court documents. They then found blood on one of the boots, including Brenner's DNA. Now this is according to the criminal complaint. Dylan's mother has been through pure hell. Renner's past criminal history also includes malicious wounding, malicious shooting, and three prior convictions for fell in a possession of a firearm.
Speaker 1: He had no work.
Speaker 2: History, was unemployed, and had no verifiable residence. He was trespassing and squatting on property near Dylan's.
Speaker 1: What more do we know?
Speaker 2: You got to really trust somebody to have them on your farm, possibly with your equipment and your land and your crop. So, doctor Jory, that's telling me a lot about where is Dylan. It's not that he's out in some bar, getting beaten up in a parking lot or overdosing in drugs and on drugs and an alley.
Speaker 1: That's not what has happened.
Speaker 6: No, not at all. You know, I'm a behaviorist and we always say if you want to predict future behavior, you have to know past behavior. And look at his last three years. I mean, he is a very diligent dedicated worker. He's very organized. He's got a schedule, he sticks to it, even the time his free time he's gone to visit friends, and he's back to be able to work that that's right in the morning. So you know, for him all of a sudden to be removed from that schedule, there had to be an outside forced to remove him.
Speaker 2: You're hearing the voice of doctor Jory Crawsin and Dylan's mother, Candace Cooley. Now take a listen to Emily Tensor.
Speaker 4: The Box Elder County Sheriff's Department and Weber County Fire and Rescue searched the area last week, along with helicopters, a plane, and search parties on foot, ATVs and horses.
Speaker 3: They call off the search Box Elder because they were ninety five percent sure there's nothing, no sign of Dylan out in the three by five mile area.
Speaker 4: His boots were found five miles west of his camper.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget the look on Kndas's face, but I could only imagine what I looked like when we saw those boots.
Speaker 4: Each day is agony for his family who live all the way up in Idaho. They're offering a twenty thousand dollars reward to bring Dylan home.
Speaker 3: I just came back today just to kind of poke around because I can't hardly leave here at twenty thousand is burning a hole in my pocket. I want to spend today.
Speaker 4: If you know anything about Dylan's disappearance, his family is begging you to call police. He's five to ten, weighs around one hundred and sixty pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.
Speaker 2: This is such a good, good boy, you know, willieve me? Take a listen to Dave mac crime online.
Speaker 7: Dylan Rownds has been a farmer since he was a little boy. From the time he could walk, he would try to keep up with his dad and grandpa as they worked downside. Dylan could drive a tractor by himself before most kids his age could ride a bike. When he was ten years old, Dylan was growing pumpkin patches and sweetcorn to sell. Citizens of the Rigby community knew every summer there would be Dylan sweetcorn for sale under the County Line overpass. Dylan attended Brigby High School and began farming grain a few years ago in the desert town of Loos in Utah near the Utah Nevada border.
Speaker 2: And you know a lot of people Dylan's age, so I will get excited about the game that Friday night or or something happening in their social.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Dylan go ahead. He never did any that. He wasn't the football game kid. He wasn't. He didn't socialize in any of that. I mean, Dylan. It worked out perfect for Dylan because he was doing online school so he could farm, and then COVID hit and he was the right age that he could drop out because he was working. So Dylan, I mean, and yes, his father and I didn't like the fact that he dropped out, but the fact of the matter is there was no stopping a kid. There was no stopping him. There was nothing we could do to stop him from going to farm. That's all he wanted to do. He also, you take a kid who doesn't even know how to play video games in his generation, and that summed it all up.
Speaker 2: Wow, doesn't know how to play video games? That really does sum it up? What would make Dylan Rounds happy? This team boy take a listen to Dave mattcrimeonline dot com.
Speaker 7: Dylan lives by himself in a camper trailer on a remote piece of land in Lusen. Family members last heard from him when he called his grandmother the morning of Saturday, May twenty eighth. Dylan had been busy getting his crops in and was really excited about recent rain, but a little down because the rain prevented him from getting all of the planting done. With the rain putting a damper on his farming activity, Dylan drove thirty miles to the town of Montello, Nevada, where he was seen on a Moyal Day weekend. When family members realized Dylan had not been in contact since he spoke to his grandmother, they began trying to get in touch with him. Failing that, the family went to the farm and immediately called law enforcement for help.
Speaker 2: Joining you right now special guests Nate Eaton, our friend, the colleague and news director of East Idaho News dot com. You can find them on Twitter at Nate news Now. Nate, start at the beginning, don't leave anything out.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 9: As Candace said, this all started when Dylan spoke with his grandmother that Saturday morning. He said, I gotta get got to get off the phone so that I can get this seed in. And then by Monday morning, when the family had not heard anything from him. They drove to the farm. What's interesting is when I spoke with kandas the other day Nancy, Dylan's pickup truck was still there, but it appeared as if it had been pressure washed. It was clean, but it had been raining and it was muddy in that area. So somehow that truck got clean and was left there right outside of Dylan's camp camp or where he was sleeping.
Speaker 5: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: And Candace Coolly, I hear you jumping in, guys, this is Dylan's mother.
Speaker 1: She's saying that the.
Speaker 2: Truck looked pressure washed. And I just heard Candace say that there were no tracks, and you think there would have been since it had been raining.
Speaker 1: But also, so tell me about the seat position.
Speaker 2: A lot of you may remember the Tara Grinstead cases, gorgeous teacher down in South Georgia who goes missing. Well, one thing that jumped out at me when we first learned Tara was missing. I was talking to her mother about it was that her seat position was not where she would have had. It was way back like when I'm five to one, when I get in the car. My husband, who was six ' three has been in the car. In the car, I have to push it up right, same thing here, right, Cannae.
Speaker 5: Cooley, Yes, exact, same thing. And I am forur eleven and Dylan is between five ten and five eleven, and he is all late. His seat is all the way back, his steering was up, and it was I could drive it. I could have comfortably drive it without movies the seat.
Speaker 1: So that's not right at all.
Speaker 5: And there were no tracks behind the pickup. It was muddy when myself and my husband and his father and our daughter Brooklyn pulled in. We left tracks on Monday. Still, if that pickup would have moved Saturday, there would have been tracks. Also, there's no footprint anywhere around that camper. And we were told the two gentlemen that worked with Dylan were well. The one helped him off and on went out to the farm to find Dylan, walked around the pickup, walked around the camper, tried to you know, what's going on. Why didn't they leave footprints? We were leaving footprints on Monday.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Kurt Nurmi joining me as you know him, renowned defense attorney, cast member wrought Radical Body Transformation Season three, Amazon Prime and author of trapped with miss Arias. You will remember him from defending Jody Arias. Kurt Neerm, I'm not holding that against you, isn't it true?
Speaker 1: Kurt Nurmy?
Speaker 2: How one detail we're talking about his truck learned so much from one piece of evidence?
Speaker 1: Kirtin Army.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, Nancy. When I think about this truck and the possible pressure washing and the movement of the seat, I wonder about how far it travels. Did somebody have to buy gas in order to get this vehicle around? How many gas stations are there in town? Have they been looking really one? Have these workers been questioned? So there's not too many people in this circle. You know, this is an industrious young man, passionate about his farming. He's not going to be distracted by too much. And we know that he had these two workers. And I don't know if the gas station, if there's footage, what have you, But there should be some follow up on those things because those practical things that stem from the truck. Where was a pressure wash? Is there a car wash somewhere? Did somebody have? All these things need to be looked at.
Speaker 5: No, there's no car washing. Montella was a count of two hundred people in the middle of nowhere. Dylan has a pressure washer on his farm for his equipment.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it could have been that Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: The case of the disappearance of Dylan arounds a teen boy from Idaho who struck out on his own to be a farmer in Utah. It's all unraveling. According to a neighbor identified in court documents. At some point after Dylan goes missing, the perp Brenner asks the neighbor to conceal three black powder guns and a twenty two caliber rifle that did not have a serial number. When contacted by the FBI, the neighbor handed over the weapons. With that Brennan was charged with felon in possession of a firearm. You know, compare him to Dylan Rounds, who struck out on his own as a teen to build his own farm in Utah. He loved working the land. He spent zero time with video game james, zero time on social media, and he never used drugs. I mean, talk about scrubbed in sunshine.
Speaker 1: What more do we know? Now?
Speaker 2: The first thing I would be considering, and I'm going to go out to you Justin Boorman, former Special Victims Unit detective, author of I Was Wrong, Investigator's battle cry for change within the Special Victims Unit. Justin, I want to look at his circle, who knows him, who would he be with? And let me understand something Nate eaton Eastsidaho News dot com. Was he seen by anyone after he spoke to the grandmother at six point fifty one a m.
Speaker 1: Saturday five twenty eight?
Speaker 9: So please are saying that the cell phone from that phone call was pinging on his farm, but he actually his last visible scene, last time somebody physically saw him was in the bat about thirty miles.
Speaker 1: Away before or after the phone call.
Speaker 9: That was before the phone call was okay, Canada, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So he was thirty miles away in Nevada before the phone call said the last positive location is on his farm based on the ping to his grandma six fifty one a m. Saturday morning, five twenty eight, he's working, okay, Justin jump in, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 10: So you know, one of the things that I certainly would have focused on would have been some of the forensics, of course, swabbing the gear with the temp right, let.
Speaker 5: Me tell you real quick box elder let us take the pickup home two hundred and fifty miles away. They allowed us to take the pickup home Sunday.
Speaker 1: Without processing it fits.
Speaker 5: They never touched the pickup. And I've got that message from the detective saying, can we take the pickup home? Do you need it? It's yours, do whatever you want with it. They process nothing, guys, not the pickup, not the green trus, not the camper. Nothing. The boots didn't even make it to the lab. We found them Monday, May thirties. The boots did not even make it to a lab until Monday, May sixth when I was told on Thursday, June second they were at the lab. I would like to by the detectives. Nothing got processed, but.
Speaker 1: What about the boots. Take a listen to our cut eight.
Speaker 11: And then we were since told by detectives that there was a spot of blood on the boots and they were being sent to the lab. And this was on Wednesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
Speaker 1: But after that, after that.
Speaker 5: Saturday, so the boots were found Monday, then we were told this. Then we found out from detectives the boots had not been sent to the lab. And this was on Saturday when they came back out that they were being held in case the cadaver dogs needed in which cadaver dogs do not need a cent They searched for human remains, so the boots just didn't get sent in.
Speaker 2: Okay to John Elwood, Deputy Chief Manateee County Search and Rescue, and you can find them at Manchee County sar dot org.
Speaker 1: John Elwood, what should we be doing right now?
Speaker 12: That's agreeable question and listening to missus Cooley and again, my family's prayers to you and your family that once where the pickup truck was. If they were able to obtain a scent article, something that Dylan had worn, you could use a tracking dog to see if you could determine the direction of travel. If you could at least get a direction of travel, then you might have an area of where you would be inclined to search. Somebody mentioned earlier about cadaver dogs. Cadaver dogs don't work off of a scent article like tracking dogs do. Go ahead, Nancy, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I believe that was Kennus Cooley. Miss Cooley, are you jumping in?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I agree with that we needed a scent dog I actually breed bloodhounds for part of my living, and I called in to talk to people I knew with them to bring them in.
Speaker 1: Here is the problem.
Speaker 5: Now, by time we could have got dogs there, they had no interest in having the bloodhounds there. They said there was too much rain. Blah blah blah. Now it's gone. There is absolutely no chance after having over three to four hundred people crawl all over that a bloodhound is going to find Dylan sent and follow it somewhere. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Too much time is less, Kurry.
Speaker 2: Nerman, you're hearing what is being said about bloodhounds and the ability to track a cent. But as you will recall, in the Scott Peterson case, a tracker dog tracked Lacy Peterson from her home on Cavena all the way to the San Francisco Bay, and it had been raining, and there had been cars over where, many many cars between the time Lacey was taken, her body was taken, and the time the tracker dog got going.
Speaker 1: I mean, it can be done. I don't care if it's rained.
Speaker 2: I have had accelerant dogs find accelerant underwater, okay, So I would not rule out using a tracker dog now, Kurt and Army, because I've seen it done.
Speaker 8: No, I wouldn't roll out anything at all. Going back to what was said about the pickup truck, I'd be trying to pull everything I could off that pickup truck and using the dogs as best I could, because it's worth a shot. Every effort should be extended, no matter how improbable.
Speaker 2: Yes, And speaking of the search from an unlikely source, the Diesel brothers, I'm sure you've seen them on Discovery have joined the search for Dylan.
Speaker 1: Listen kind of.
Speaker 11: With you guys's eyes and sky, you know, watch freshly turned up dirt. I mean, you guys know what to look for, just any disturbance that shouldn't be there. This desert's pretty much all the same.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So that way we'll find Yeah, basically just a trailer at cam trailer.
Speaker 1: You'll see the pivot his pickup.
Speaker 5: There's all kinds of equipment. Yeah you can't.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, it's all of his stuff's out there straight through see that dirt, Kyle. Yeh.
Speaker 5: His boots were just tossed out right behind that.
Speaker 11: And there was nothing else around them, know nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, were they on the far side of the way on the road, so you wouldn't see them from the road.
Speaker 1: And that's all you guys have found so far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have nothing else.
Speaker 1: And they, like said, search and rescue.
Speaker 11: They were out here the first night they got here what maybe five They didn't even take off and looking until pay seven point thirty. Then they build and then they came back maybe six hours that day. And then they said, we're calling it nail it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me understand something.
Speaker 2: They and you're hearing the Diesel brothers talking to Dylan's mom, But is that correct? After six hours on the scene, law enforcement just left. They didn't process the vehicle, we don't know about the boots, and they haven't called in search or cadaver dogs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the family's continually run into these issues with law enforcement. The fact that that we're talking about two jurisdictions here, one in Utah, one in Nevada with a border down the middle, and of course there's jurisdictional issues over who has the rights to this and that, and from candas it sounds like you're getting helped from the Nevada side, but the Utah side where Dylan actually lived, where this camper was, where the booths were found, where the truck was, where all of his property was. It sounds like they're just hitting wall after wall.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 5: So Utah has told me multiple times that Nevada will do what if Nevada wants to come to Like basically, we're not you know, we're not reaching out to Nevada. What I since found out is I met on Friday. I sat with first some Nevada detectives, the sergeant, and even the sheriff himself for almost five hours and I went through the case from top to bottom. We started with everything. They have reached out to Utah multiple times. Where do you want to deploy? Where do you want search? And izeky, we're in this with you. Utah has been the one that has declined the help. Utah has not accepted and say, hey, come help us find this kid.
Speaker 2: Well, can you tell me night eight about the possibility that somebody has him and wants ransom.
Speaker 9: Well, that was the original call the family made in order to get law enforcement involved. I believe it was Dylan's father who called the sheriff'spics and said this. According to the police too, that they got a call to go to Elko, Nevada. That someone was being held hostage, and you know, in the beginning, there were some thoughts that there was this man that Dylan met in the middle of nowhere who asked him for a ride, who has a suspicious criminal background. There was some finger pointing that maybe this guy might know something. But Candace has actually spoken with this man. He's in custody in Utah in a facility, and they believe that he probably doesn't have anything to do with Dylan's disappearance. But fingers were pointed at him. You know, from the beginning, sounds like that's not so much anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, what can you tell me about the ransom call to Candace?
Speaker 5: It was not a ransom call. This is what happened. One of the local citizens of Montello called me on Tuesday, the second day in the search. Instead, they're holding and hostage and basically he might still be alive or not, and they give us a specific location. And so that is when Justin called. So I talked to this this guy three times. So we all hauld butt into Montello. Not Elco is in Montello. So Justin calls Utah, Utah detective and they say, well, that's in Nevada.
Speaker 9: We're not.
Speaker 5: It's not us. We need to call Nevada. So Justin told them, if you don't get somebody out here, I'm going to take it into my own hands. So detective from Utah called Nevada. I called nine one one into Elko. I tell them what's going on. So Elko sends out six deputies. We're furious, we're frustrated. We think our son's right down the boss. These these local people are telling us they got them, they got them. They chasing this other guy, they got him. They're holding the hostage, they're beating them, they're you know, they're telling us all this stuff. And but what Elko did not know when I called in is that my son was missing, because Utah never told them.
Speaker 2: So let me understand, Ms. Cooley, there was no ransom call. Correct, Then where did that even come from?
Speaker 5: I have no clue. If you go back through all my interviews, I never said that. I said we got a call saying Dylan was being held hostage. Right, ransom has never came out of me.
Speaker 1: That your son is being held.
Speaker 5: The guy's name is Kurt.
Speaker 1: Kurt calls me. Kurt did work.
Speaker 5: For Dylan, So we can clarify this and people can understand that is his name. Kurt called me and said, Chase and this other guy have Dylan. Who is in this house.
Speaker 1: Who is Chase case?
Speaker 5: This is the guy that Dylan had picked up in the middle of the desert from Wednesday to twenty fifth, that we had as a person of interest, the one that is now in the Utah jail on unrelated charges.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it. So Kurt tells you, Chase and.
Speaker 5: This other gentleman have Dylan. They're holding them hostage in this other gentleman's house. He may or may not be alive, and they're beating them.
Speaker 1: He's all over the board.
Speaker 5: But at this point we're still looking for Chase actively, you know, trying to find him. So I hang on the phone with Kurt. He calls me back ten minutes later.
Speaker 1: He goes through it again.
Speaker 5: He's like, and he may be at this house, or he may be at this house, but we're watching this house, and we know they have Phils, we know they have Dylan. That's what I'm told. So Justin and I get on the phone with them. We hit the same story. They got Dylan, they took Dyling. So that's when we haul but into Montello, and that's when the nine to one to one call came in to Elko that I said, they have my son. He's being held hostage. We need somebody out there now. So when they they did send they, like I said, they sent six people. But when they got there and they went to this other person's house, Chase was nowhere around the other person. The other gentleman allowed them to search the vehicles, the house, the property, the shift, absolutely everything. There was nothing Kurt lied to us.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 5: I don't know. That's a really good question.
Speaker 2: Stuff right there, right there, Deputy Chief Manage County Search and Rescue, John Elwood, Right there, that's the problem. Why would you call a missing kids mom and say your son's being held over here when he's not right there?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 12: Sure? The question I would ask is when Candace received this phone phone call? Was it before the news story about her son's disappearance or after?
Speaker 1: What about it? Candace? Before and after it was bought? Before it was before? What's your point? John Elwood?
Speaker 12: Then that to me would add more credence to the claim that Dylan's being held hostage.
Speaker 1: Hey, what would say? And I am crazy land because.
Speaker 2: They went to the location and he was not being hell hostage there. There's no credence to the hostage situation because that's not true. Kirk nurmed me with me, high profile lawyer Kirk right there. The acquaintance Kirk who had worked for Dylan Rounds calls in with this information. I mean, let's get real, Kirk. We've got to look at his circle of acquaintances. He's there on his farm at six fifty one am. That's where he calls his grandma. He's not seen or heard from since. This has got to be someone within his circle. The phone pings there, wasn't the phone found there, Nate Eaton.
Speaker 10: They have not found his phone or his wallet.
Speaker 2: No phone, No, thank you for telling me that his boots are not far away.
Speaker 1: The phone pings from there. Somebody took him from there. That are alive.
Speaker 2: Somebody took him from their Kirk Nurmy, and it's got to be somebody that would be out on the farm in box elder.
Speaker 8: You bet, Nancy. That's why my first my first stop would be the two people that work for him, as well as this chase person is in custody, he would be being interrogated. But Also, now we have this tip, even though it's fault, this idea that someone called in before the police reports, before it hit the media, to say that he's being held hostage. What is this person doing? What is their true motive? Are they exploring? Are they trying to find out what's going on with the investigation? So I'd be having the abilities look at Kirt.
Speaker 1: What about this, Kirk Nurmy?
Speaker 2: What if cops are not doing the deputies are not doing what they should be doing.
Speaker 1: They didn't take in.
Speaker 2: The vehicle, the truck, they didn't process it. They haven't processed his camper. They couldn't find his keys, his key fob. They're not doing what you normally expect law enforcement to do.
Speaker 1: So what do we do now?
Speaker 2: Can she can Ascullie get in touch with the fans or do we have to wait for authorities in Loose and Utah to do it?
Speaker 8: I think she can. I think programs like this help. I think getting people involved that maybe can process the truck, doing everything that they can to make up for the evidence that was lost needs to be done. Anything possible. Any law enforcement agency that can get involved with its Bureau of Land Management, Nevada authorities what have you. Jurisdiction doesn't matter, humanity matters here and they should be doing everything they can.
Speaker 2: But does it actually work that way to you? Justin Boordman, can you pick up the.
Speaker 1: Phone and call the FBI in as.
Speaker 2: A civilian or do we need local police to do it?
Speaker 10: You can certainly try an attempt to do that. There's also other means to shake that law enforcement tree if you will in Utah, which I've done many times for others, But there's you can still go to the state police. You can do a lot of different things like that.
Speaker 2: So when you say the state police, are you talking about, for instance, the Utah AG's Attorney General.
Speaker 10: I'm talking more about the Utah Department of Public Safety and going through them and their investigators. They don't have a lot either, but they certainly have more political clout if you will, to pressure some things. They also have their own crime lab people that will respond out and process. They've got all of the bells and whistles.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting, ken As Cooley, I want to go back to the boots. Isn't it true your son always wears the same kind of boots, the same pair of boots, and when that pair wears out, he gets another pair just like him. It's not like he's out wearing a different pair of shoes. These are his work based that we had on that day.
Speaker 5: Yes, And can I just touch on what you were saying about the health in public safety? Yes, So the commissioner actually reached out to Justin and I on Saturday to find out what the heck is going on, and they have reached out to us. We should know more tomorrow or today. Of course it was on a Saturday, but after the coverage and seeing what's going on, he did personally reach out to us. The governor of Utah told him to.
Speaker 2: In the last days, a Utah squad takes a plea deal in the murder of a teen farmer's death and leads detectives to Dylan Rounds, just nineteen years old, skeletal remains. We may have case resolution, but Dylan's family, especially his mother, is sentenced to life without her boy. Goodbye, friend to bed to be