Speaker 1: Welcome in another episode of Texan's Huddle. I am indeed she is DP and Dalton Schultz in the seat to my right after a huge game. This guy knows a thing or two about catching the ball, scoring touchdowns, and we're happy he's doing it with the Houston Texas.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Texans Huddle.
Speaker 3: How you doing, I'm good man, Thank you much you having me. That's a heck of an intro.
Speaker 4: That's how we do here on Texans Hudle.
Speaker 5: I've actually had the pleasure of sitting with Dalton one on one over in the corner and our little podcast set up for the Deep Slants. So it's been a lot of fun just sort of getting to know you and cover you this year. But I feel like this team where it's at now. I mean, I just known my ten years of covering this team. That was a fun one on Sunday. That was one of the best home wins. I want to know what your thoughts are, just even in game, it seemed like the way the game started. You've talked about this a little bit. You had the fumble to start off, then you come back with a touchdown. I feel like that was almost so long ago. By the time the game ended, I thought this was all in the same game, Like we went through this whole roller coaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as a player, like, that's exactly what you try to stay out of, is like the ups and downs and the roller coaster that you know, I'm sure fans feel like as players, it's like you do your best to kind of stay pretty much on one level, you know what I mean. I mean you've been there, Like it's I mean, games are very momentum based too. It's like you can feel, you know, swings, and you got to do your best to keep a levelhead and you know, don't ride the highs and lows too much. And obviously I think we did that pretty well.
Speaker 2: I want to go a little bit further back.
Speaker 1: I grew up in San Antonio and that's Cowboy Country, so obviously very familiar with what you've done, with what you've accomplished. You balled out in Dallas, and when I heard that you were coming here, I had to do a double take. I'm like, no, they would have let him leave. Like, were you surprised that they allowed you to get away?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I was, so was I.
Speaker 1: Like, what was the conversation and I'm not just you know, catering to you because you're sitting here. Like I said, watched a lot of Dallas Cowboy football, and you know, I just assumed you would have been locked up and they like, what was the was your agent saying, hey, there's a chance that you might Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they were they wanted to get something done since twenty twenty one, and then they put me on the tag and then it was like still that same mindset and then it just never came to fruition. And I mean that's that's just the business of this league sometimes, like you know, people say one thing and do another, and like you just kind of kind of roll with the punches. But yeah, I mean, obviously I have a great opportunity here. I love coming in in this offense and I think we have a great quarterback which kind of makes the offense go. But yeah, I mean, you know, business is business, and you know, luckily I you know, Houston came in and offered me a contract and you know, take it and we roll from there.
Speaker 1: When do you get past like the initial disappointment, you know, And I don't want to dwell on it, because like you said, there are times where even in my where I'm like, oh man, I'm set for life. Then they're gonna call when you get past it and say, okay, I'm moving on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, dude, it was a hard week like free agency. You know, you think it's gonna be like a big thing and then you know it's it's almost kind of like a repeat a draft day where it's like you know, you're waiting on a waiting on a phone call, waiting on something something, and days go by and it's like nothing, and then you know, finally you get something and it's like, oh my god, if that takes like three weeks or what like. But yeah, man, it's it's hard. And again with anything like I kind of take that you know on the field mindset to life. It's like, you know, you can ride the peaks and valleys or you can kind of you know, make the most of what you got and where you're at, and you know, be where your feet are and in those moments, I think, you know, obviously having two kids and a wife like to kind of help you through the those kinds of times, like keep your levelhead a bit. That was a big time for me at that moment, because dude, it's it's hard, you know. I mean, you've been there, so like, you know, you know how it feels.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of Texans fans were very excited that it wasn't just you, but you and your former teammate Noel Brown.
Speaker 4: You guys both signed here this offseason. How much should that help?
Speaker 5: Just having a guy that knew you and Dallas, you guys know each other. You're not the only new player coming in, but the two of you very familiar with each other, get to start here together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's uh, when I first got here is kind of settling a little bit, you know, like it's nice to come in with another guy to be like oh wow, like that this is different or like hey, this is this is way better, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like you have something to compare. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You have somebody to kind of that understands your same perspective on you know, the differences in that transitionary period from one organization to the other. And I think that you know that helped me transition, like to a new orc is having a you know, guy that I I've already played with, familiar face and so yeah, that was. That was nice, to say the least.
Speaker 5: I remember in twenty nineteen when Laramy Tunsel was traded here as a part of that trade was also Kenny still is a wide receiver, and I remember talking to I want to say, I was talking to Kenny and he said, it's just so nice to have like they were really good friends in Miami, but to get traded, as I would imagine a similar feeling, like you just the uncertainty of it all. You're in one place and all of a sudden you're not. But the two of them really comparing notes on how things were different here and the team was really good, so they were excited to be a part of a lot of winning.
Speaker 4: That was an adjustment for them.
Speaker 5: They were coming from an organization where they were they were not in the same situation. But now the two of you are clicking, You're rolling. Both of you guys had big games on Sunday. Have you two sort of talked about I know, I feel like your relationship with him. I'd never heard you talk about him until Monday. You had sort of seen his journey as well, Like what have you thought about just how the offense has progressed so far?
Speaker 4: Through these first few games.
Speaker 3: I mean in terms of like overall offense, I mean it's been so much more like smooth, even though at times like sometimes it doesn't feel like that for guys. But like looking from week one to like week eight or nine, whatever we had to buy, so I don't I don't even know what we get. It's probably half yeah, so whatever, you know, going from week one to now, it's just everything is so smooth. CJ's done a great job of like because dude, as a rookie quarterback, like you have a lot on your plate. I mean there's a reason he's got a wristband out there, Like these calls are super wordy in this you know scheme, and so I think that you know, hearing the play call, getting it in and out like that's been you know, huge in just allowing us to kind of, you know, operate more efficiently getting in and out. And I think at the end of the day, like you have a quarterback who's like dealing like that kid is right now, it's you know, everybody else's job gets a lot easier because now it's just like hey, you know, tank run of the you know, run on the back corner of the end zone, close your eyes and put your hands out. You know, CG is gonna put a ball right there. So like, I think it's you know, there's a lot of confidence building just you know, between the guys and in the scheme. And I think especially like between the coaching staff and the players, like you know, they're starting to kind of get a lot of confidence in guys being able to make plays. And it's like, you know, we'll call shots for three four five different guys, you know what I mean, And it's like everybody's kind of got, you know, a chance to make a big impact, impact play in a game. And you know that comes from trusting in each other, but also the coaching staff trusting in the players and vice versa. So I think we're taking steps in the in the right direction for sure. We just got to keep the thing, keep the thing going.
Speaker 5: Can we just talk about CJ for a second, because I feel like you, of all people, like being just a veteran in your position, like, what have you thought about just what he's done on so far and especially this game against Tampa Bay? Just yeah, I mean adjustments that a new starting center. There's no kicker You've got Damian pierce out all that aside. You know, what have you thought about just his composure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think CJ's dude, he's a gamer. Like you know, you see, you know, everybody you know has a couple reps in practice where it's like holy, holy crap, you know, and you see glimpses and like everybody's you know, seeing good plays and like great plays throughout training camp and OTAs, and then it's like you turn the game film on and it's like throw after throw after throw after big play aft Like dude, we ran we ran a play where like you know, the running back kicks it out the backside and like CJ is trying to throw a block and like, you know, we pitch it up.
Speaker 6: That's just like it's just crazy like and so I think, you know, when guys are able to kind of you know, trust in you know, the scheme and the players, and especially in CJ, I mean shoot, plays like that just kind of seemed natural almost, And I mean we haven't talked about like that play.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard Bobby's.
Speaker 4: I've seen it on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Well, I just saw people saying like it looks like Bobby slows having fun if he's trying stuff like that Singletary pitches it back out to CJJ runs rolls out to his left right. Is that the one you're talking about? Yeah, I feel like there's so many other storylines.
Speaker 4: I was like, was that my design?
Speaker 3: Because I was just it's just how.
Speaker 5: I mean, what about that last drive? I mean, it seemed like there was a lot of drawing up on that. I heard CG talk about it a little bit like on the sideline throwing up the play final Was it the touchdown? That was the play that was drawn up on the sideline or was it No?
Speaker 3: Because like we've had we've had a we've had that play and we've wrapped it, you know a few times over the year, but we didn't have it like installed for that week. Got it like you know what I mean. It was kind of like a hey, like we've we've done this, like we might need it, like just we you know, we talk about it, and it's like, again, coaches have trust in players that you know, even though we haven't gotten a rep at it Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, we've done it, can y'all go execute it? And so again it's those stat ability to you know, make things happen when you need a play like that, and I think you got a quarterback that can make it happen, like you know Anything's.
Speaker 1: What was the biggest hurdle for you? Was it determinology?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know what's the volume?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 2: The volume volume?
Speaker 3: Like I've never had like when I first got here. The formation she like they give you like a little index, they give you a little index cards and it's this and then another one. Wow, and so it's.
Speaker 5: Like three He's saying, like.
Speaker 3: Like a stack of just like formation monology.
Speaker 4: How much is it? What's like what's normal for people that don't know?
Speaker 3: Like I mean, see, that's the thing is I've only been in a like one other system in the NFL, so like I don't have a bunch of different systems to compare it to. But like it's a lot more coming from like what I came from. I mean, shoot, we maybe had half.
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe this explains why in camp I remember, I want to say it was Dan Pier's like the Bible.
Speaker 4: He said, Oh, it's just we've done the Testament.
Speaker 3: It's all great, and it's all really good stuff, and like it's necessary, like you need to be able to put people in different spots and do different things, or else you're gonna have to be changing personnels and coming up with specific personnel groupings. Like it's much easier to just call it it, call it a different formation, like you know what I mean. So I think at the end of the day, it's just getting over the pure sheer volume of like the memorization stuff that you have to do when you first get into a system like this, And so I think once you get over that hump, then everything else becomes okay, Like now we can now that I know what these words mean, I can start focusing on, like, Okay, how do I how do I beat you know, the guy in front of me, instead of worrying about you know, what the hell I gotta do.
Speaker 2: Sure everyone learns different.
Speaker 1: Obviously you're learned the guy going to Stanford, you know how to learn things and realize things. What was your approach? Is it the cliff notes? Is it just kind of reviewing it and closing your eyes and making yourself making sure you can repeat.
Speaker 3: Reading calls and like going through it in your mind and then like checking the picture. Like that's one way. But like at the end of the day, and I told my position coach this when I first got here. I'm like, listen, like I'm gonna have to like screw. I'm gonna have to screw things up like a couple of times in practice like not you know, a different different, different, different plays, but like you know, I'm I'm gonna need that moment of like, oh crap, like it was this and I did.
Speaker 4: That, like shoot, because then you'll remember it, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because it's like it's those moments that like I will never forget because like the embarrassment of like messing things up like.
Speaker 4: That, you don't want to miss it, make a mistake again.
Speaker 3: And I think that's just how I learned. Obviously, you do your best not to ever get in those situations, but like when those happen, you never at least I never forget. I think CJ. CJ is kind of the same way too. He's he said that multiple times. It's like he he talks about like defensive coverages and he's like, yeah, once I've seen that, like ya' gonna get me again.
Speaker 4: It's amazing because he's a rookie. You got Tank, who's a rookie.
Speaker 5: I mean, everyone's new in the system, Like I guess we don't even give enough appreciation of the fact that, like you're a veteran saying it's so hard to learn all these formations.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just it's a lot. It's just a lot.
Speaker 2: Is it necessary? Is it necessary?
Speaker 1: And I'm not trying to get you on here to say, oh, it's not necessary what we do, but you know, do you need that many variations and formations to throw the defense off.
Speaker 3: Or especially in this offense, Like everybody can play everywhere. I can do everything. So it's like Bobby wants to put a certain person in some spot to do a certain thing. Like Bobby's gonna find a way to do that. So I think, yeah, that's completely necessary.
Speaker 1: You said everyone can do everything. We already saw a running back, play kicker outside of tight end if you weren't a tight end in the Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think becks are emergency long snapper. But I might be able to be an emergency long snapper. Yeah, because I snapped, Like I was the pseudo emergency guy for the last few years. We never needed that, but like I could go in there and.
Speaker 4: Like snap, how did you figure out that you could do that?
Speaker 3: I played center growing up, and so like my college coaches were like, hey, like you should try to snapping, and like I just kind of did it as like a you know, like sure, why not? And like you know, I was solid at it. I'm not great like but like I'm I feel like I'm serviceable. So we'll see. I don't know, easier said than done. Dude, on a punt and you got a guy fifteen yards behind you, like it's tough, man, Like it's a long way for that ball to travel.
Speaker 1: So you played center center like I played center center growing up from eight to eight thirteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, then you move to what position?
Speaker 1: Outside backer and tight end? Okay, what do you enjoy more? What did you enjoy more than that end?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Sure? I was actually d dude, outside backer was kind of fun, like because there was like I remember in a game in Little league, they try to they try to throw like a little you know, screen pass, like a one step to the receiver and like I tipped it and picked it off. Like so like, outside backer was fun. But dude' scorn touchdowns great, like especially coming from like an old lineman background, like come.
Speaker 4: On, the balls in your hands.
Speaker 3: Right, you know what I mean? Like that was a best part about being centered is like, oh my god, Like I get to touch the ball eight nine years old. You're like, I get to touch the ball every play.
Speaker 1: Well, you have to be in a system that utilizes the tighten because Stanford didn't utilize the tight end like they should in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Then you go to DA then you get more passing wise, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not blocking, I mean, dude, freaking That's why I went to Stanford.
Speaker 1: Though, Yet you like you were targeted more as a pro than you.
Speaker 3: Were Christian McCaffery, Brice Love in the backfield. You know what, I remember we were running power like all day every day.
Speaker 2: So you didn't mind that. Hell no, you know that that's the sign of a good teammate.
Speaker 3: Tight end blocking is hell of fun. Like blocking is a great time.
Speaker 1: Most tight ends nowadays don't say that I just wanted to catch the ball and get all the glory, like actually appreciate hearing.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's amazing. That was like one of the because that's the offense that I grew up in in like high school. Is like we were kind of the same. We were like power owner. I so like, you know, some rollouts seam benders, but like it was very much like a downhill like power scheme. So like I was like, I've done this all my life, Stanford does it. Like I was actually the one that reached out to Stanford because I'm like, dude, y'all are losing or losing freaking Levine to a Lolo Kolby Fleeener, Ryan Hewitt zach Ertz like all in one formation, Like y'all got like four guys out on the field like playing running power and that's splitting people out and throwing freaking deep balls. Like so I don't know that was that was the best of both the worlds to me, Like, yeah.
Speaker 1: We talked to a lot of people and for someone to be like, man, I love blocking.
Speaker 2: That's that a lot, dude.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: As a former defensive lineman, I like I like the trenches, but I just don't hear that from tight ends anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, dude, it's like that's all you take an offensive lineman and like you sit them down.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: It's a great feeling, right, It's like one of the best feelings in ball, like catch and touchdown is great, but like like like putting somebody on their back, bro, like when you know when like when you know he's trying to get through and you'd like shut him down.
Speaker 5: Bro's can I ask you what your favorite block that you've ever landed has been.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm gonna have to come back to that because okay, I gotta I gotta search the archives and in the brain. Maybe after the break you think about.
Speaker 1: It, you can settle a debate. Do you remember Germany shocking that name? Yeah? Yeah, from Miami. So when I was in Philly and he's in the Giants, he's blocking me, he's doing a good job, but.
Speaker 2: I tripped over.
Speaker 3: The happens so much.
Speaker 1: I tripped over like a receiver, so it looked like a pancake, and he's on top of me like, yeah, caloo, I got you. I said, now that doesn't count. I tripped, he said. This is in the middle of a play, and he's like, no, it's still a pancake. And we're arguing. I'm like, na, Germy, that's not a pancake. So as a tight end, is that a pancake?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're under graduated.
Speaker 3: So literally, so listen these so granted, like you can tell like when you when a guy gets foot trafficked, Like when you're watching film and you see somebody like hit the ground hard, like you kind of got to rewind it and go like, okay, like did that guy like take his soul or did something happen right? And like most of the time it's foot traffic, like a guy's foot will get stepped on or like caught on somebody else's foot, guy gets off balance, boom. But like, hell, yeah, that cake, that's football on the other side. I'm on the other side of stuff like that, and like yeah, like that that just still counts for them.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to call him that you got me, Jeremy, because uh, you know, it was funny. It wasn't funny at the time because I was how many people saw that on national television. But we've always had that debate whether or not it's a pancake if the foot traffic we didn't use that term, if you trip over somebody's foot, So all right, Golden Schultz says, it's still a pancake.
Speaker 4: No, it's still a pancake for him.
Speaker 5: And if you speaking of emergency rules, if you ever had to play an emergency role on offense, what would it be?
Speaker 2: You know, what I always thought I could play tight end.
Speaker 1: And in high school, yeah, I went to a big school and they didn't just let us go both ways, you know, play both ways. But during the spring game, I asked my coach let me play tight end during the spring game. And it was fun. But just like you said, it's very tough. Like to me, running the routes catching the balls easier than the blocking. I never understood how.
Speaker 3: You get that at this level, Like, oh I could.
Speaker 1: I couldn't even imagine doing a level like trying to.
Speaker 5: Learn it seems like you have to learn a lot of different types of thing. You know, it's a it's a very skill set that's.
Speaker 3: Usually like the hardest transition for guys. Like when you first come in, it's like, dude, you're twenty one, twenty two years old, Like blocking a dude who's thirty four with six kids, you know, like he's blocking grown man, you know what I mean. It's different than blocking like you know, another kid who's twenty twenty one. So I think just that transition of like okay, like I gotta get I can put my dad pants on, you know, come to work. But yeah, I would say I'm with you, on that.
Speaker 1: The blacking what I never understood, Like you can't be overly aggressive, right, you have to position yourself and get aggressive. So are there certain things you practice for that? Because it's easy to down black if you just you know, aggressively hit someone down. But when they're head up on you, Like, are you kind of doing like a read technique?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, Like that's what made JJ and honestly that's TJ. Watts so good. It's like they'll like light you up on play in the very next play the one step swim or like one step avoid. It's like you get too head heavy, like you're literally just gonna fall on your face and look like an idiot. So like those guys that kind of mix it up and are able to do both, like they make they make our jobs hard because like now you don't know what you're getting all the time. I feel like I'm shouldn't be giving off the trade that.
Speaker 5: I mean, you can give that secret out, but it's hard to prepare for, like a variation of you know how a guy's going to come at you, you know his like arsenal moves, which is what I would imagine defensive linemen and pass rushers are always working on That's why I always hear they're working on different types of moves and trying to have us pull out a surprise move and practice everynd there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody's got like one move that like you got to prepare for, and then they'll have two or three offsets. So like you know, it's like it's a pitcher. It's like you know, everything everything works off your fastball. You got a really good fastball. Now your curve is way harder to hit. Now your slider is really hard to hit. Like those are your offsets, your change up like the changes, but the fastball is your one move that it's like, good luck, buddy, hit this, you know what I mean. So like more guys can like switch those things up, like the harder they are to play against.
Speaker 1: And on the flip side, you have defensive lineman study to tie it in and you can tell when he's going to go out for a past route if he gets lazy with his things, or you could tell when he's going to stay in and blocked. So you know, the way they look at defensive ends and edge rushers, that's how we look at tight ends. All right, we're going to take a quick time time out. Excuse me, Dalton Schultz in the house. I want to talk a little college because you know, I've always had a respect for the true student athletes and a guy who went to Stanford. You know it's not quite Rice University, but you know they say.
Speaker 2: It's the rights.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk about that experience and so much more. Dalton Schultz joined us in the Texans Huddle. Don't touch that down, welcome in, Welcome back, Texans Huddle. I am indeed she is DP. Dalton Schultz sitting at the desk, and we appreciate the time we have with him. I wanted to talk a little bit about your collegiate career and some of the you know, just what it was like. And I hate to admit when I talk to some of these college kids now and I get a chance to, you know, spend days with him, I find myself saying, when do you study? But I know that's not the case in Stanford. So just kind of let us know what that was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it was very clear, like from the start, that's like no, like y'all are going to class, y'all are doing y'all's own work, Like there's no no shortcuts, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Do the coaches appreciate that? And like if you're going to be late to practice because of a lab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's that's real. So like dude, our practices sometimes would be at six thirty five thirty, six thirty because you'd have to wait for like you know, six guys who are starters who are like in Humbio labs. Oh wow, Like you know what I mean. It's so like they would make the practice schedule later or offset whatever just to make sure that guys could like make it to practice. Like you'd go in and early early morning for like a special teams meeting in the morning, go to breakfast, go to class, go about your school day, hit a lift somewhere in there, whether it's early morning or like you know, middle of the day, you know, go to another class, and then it's like you go back in for your install meeting and then practice it in the evening. I remember getting off the field at you know, seven thirty eight o'clock and it's like, you know, you go in and you get changed up, and you're leaving the building by like nine it's dark eys, and you're like, shit, I gotta get dinner, Like I still got to eat.
Speaker 5: You've got like tests and homework, and you got to figure out a time to study all that.
Speaker 3: You're so your freshman year you have god, what is it as some hour you have to you have to do study hall. You have to go into like the study hall building and sign in and literally like just sit in there and study for you know, X amount of hours a week, and like they kind of are like, no, like you have to do it. Oh, so like they kind of they put it on you early to be like you no, like you better get your school work taken care of.
Speaker 1: Did that help when you got through the NFL and now you're presented with this huge playbook that's much larger than what you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they don't have any school Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah that helps more time. No, la test. If you didn't go.
Speaker 5: To Stanford, I think I talked to you about this before you were up in Utah. Uh, you probably would. I remember you saying you would not have gone to school in Utah. But where else would you have gone?
Speaker 3: Maybe where else? I liked Washington at the time. They signed a bunch of guys in my class, And same thing with Notre Dame, Like I like Notre Dame, but Notre Dame signed you know, three or four guys, and I'm like, dude, I really want to go to Stanford. Like I knew I wanted to go, and like I wanted to be there, especially after visiting. Like one time, I was like, oh, yeah, what was about the visit? Have you been on Sanford? Not bro go to Stanford's campus and just like walk around in the spring, walk around in the fall and tell me that it's not like the best campus.
Speaker 1: And now were you in the country were you thinking as a youngster, like you know what, I also want to go somewhere with high academic standards or.
Speaker 3: No. That was That was it because at the end of the day, like I wanted to play good football, but like I want to have a fallback plan, you know, and like nobody knows how the football stuff is going to work out, Like anything can happen. You could, you know, get a big injury, you know whatever, and I wanted to be sure that no matter what, like I could have something that I can really you know, kind of rely on, you know, to to make it and provide for, you know, my family in the future. And so Stanford was like as a no brainer for me.
Speaker 2: Like what was.
Speaker 3: Major STS, which is like science, Technology, and Society. I guess, so I got a Bachelor of Science and like STS, which is like it kind of turned into like an athlete degree a little bit, but only just because like you could really pick and choose like a bunch of courses and so, like I really wanted to do game design, but we didn't have a game design major, and like the only thing close was like computer science, and so computer science was great, but like, dude, I did not want to.
Speaker 4: Take It's a lot of extra stuff.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to take math. I'm like, dude, Like I in high school, like I got in a pre CALC and like CALCU and I'm like, dude, this imaginary stuff Like no, and like I heard, you know, all the other guys going through all the math math classes, Like you know, teachers have thick accents. There's this piece set and this piece set, and you got like I'm like dude, no way, And so like I chose SCSUSE and I took all the same computer science classes and like I basically switched out all the math stuff for like design and like so it's product design, and there was a few and stuff, right, yes, yeah, but like there was a few, I want to say, like three or four like gaming specific like courses that like I went to my like program major and was like, hey, can I put these in the Can I put these in the program?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: And I had to basically petition to like make them a part of my major because I'm like, here's what I want to do, Like, I want to do game design. Can you help me build a track that will like help me do that? And she was all for it.
Speaker 1: This is one thing one of the many things I love about the show. You learn about the guys you know off the football field. So that's very interesting to me, Like that you knew you wanted to do games. When did you find out you were passionate about Obviously you're a gamer coming up, I'm assuming, And was there like a type of game you wanted to do that design?
Speaker 2: Sports?
Speaker 3: I just that's that's always been my past time. And I'm like, listen, if I'm going to school and getting a degree, like it's going to be in something that like I find fun because like that's what everybody says, like, do find something you love to do and life you know, like so for me it's been football and like the gaming slash like coding side.
Speaker 2: Do you use it now?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, he's a huge gamer.
Speaker 2: Now, so did you design it? Did you use what you learned?
Speaker 3: So like I didn't. I didn't code any of my own games, play any of my own games, but like I'm a big time gamer, like I have a whole I mean yeah, the videos kind of we do my own horn but like I put a lot of time in like set.
Speaker 4: I stumbled upon this in my interview with Dalton. But then yeah, and then but then.
Speaker 5: Somebody had some footage of you and maybe that was your own footage of your actual gaming setup, which I saw after the fact. He's got this, he's got like all these same microphones that we have and the camera like he knows don't knows everything about our audio visual setup here because he has his own gaming setup that is very good at home. Which, by the way, like I think my kids are kind of at that age where they're getting into college and studying gaming design is a big major now Like now, don't don't now if you went to college more.
Speaker 3: It's way more mainstream.
Speaker 5: Now and there's a lot more courses for kids that want to do that, like in those tracks like he's showing India.
Speaker 4: It is a wo moment.
Speaker 5: Can I just say though, like I have a lot of respect for you enjoying coding because I was an engineering major and I liked the math and I couldn't stand the coding.
Speaker 4: I thought the code was So.
Speaker 3: The coding is awesome hard.
Speaker 5: It's a puzzle, it is, and it's like an exercise in patience because you could write hundreds and hundreds of line of code and if something's wrong.
Speaker 3: With your punctuations off, yeah, you put in like a wrong. You start, you start messing around with like Python, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did plus plus extra. Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: An extra space will like screen and you will know and you will know, you'll just know it's not running. And then you got to go back and troubleshoot and figure out what the thing is out of these hundreds of line Like I didn't have the patience for it, and I never got through.
Speaker 3: First of all, it's deciding how you want to tackle whatever problem, because there's a hundred ways of skin of cat like yes, and then it's like okay, like how do I make my solution work? Like, let me try to mess around, and then it's trial and error, and then it's like, all right, it was just working and I in putting two more lines of code and now it's broken, Like okay.
Speaker 5: You have to be detective almost like what did I do differently? And then the error changes so you're like, okay, so maybe yeah, I didn't have the patience you enjoy all that you enjoyed, the troubleshooting and the writing code.
Speaker 3: You need to know maybe that much coding because like basically they've done all the coding like for you under the hood, and they've given you building blocks to basically put together and make st like here's.
Speaker 5: The algorithm, like if you put this paragraph of code in, it will do this.
Speaker 4: Is that what you're saying, Like they're just.
Speaker 3: Getting graphical interface that they have to like instead of So in order to make a car, you don't need to know how to make an engine. They give you the engine. They say, all right, now put this in your car, and you just pick up the engine and put it in the car. And now if you want to tweak the engine a little bit, yeah, you'll maybe need to know how an engine works or transmission works to maybe make the transmission act like you want it, but like they just are giving you the parts and you know, are allowing you to basically like drop it in your car. Now you can change what kind of engine it is and what the engine looks like, and maybe if it's a six cylinder engine or a twelve V twelve Like you can make all those changes. Like it's not hard, but in order to like actually go in and like fine tune that engine, that's when you'll need, Like you're just a little bit of coding experience.
Speaker 1: So with your background when you play games, is it a little different than like a dummy like me, like, oh, that looks cool.
Speaker 2: The graphics are cool.
Speaker 3: Like d like, yo, how the hell did they or like how the hell did they make this? Like animation or like dude, I think of like all the stuff that would have to go into making that game. Like I'm on a Cyberpunk kick right now, Like I didn't play Cyberpunk when it first came out because of all the bugs and stuff. But it's this basically open world like you know, RPG slash first person shooter, and it drops you in this like futuristic utopia of a city and everybody's outfitted with like cyberware and like bionic eyes and you know bionic arms, and you know legs that make you double, like all this cool stuff. But like just the detail in the environment and stuff is like mind blowing to me. Let alone, like the all the cool like graphicals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a whole story that they have to create, like an entire setting and a story with characters and a storyboard.
Speaker 3: And I enjoy I enjoy going into like the corner, like the corners of the world and like seeing how much detail like a developer puts into like a corner that like, yeah, maybe ten percent of the player base is going to go into, but like seeing how much care and time that like goes into just like that tiny little area that's always so.
Speaker 2: You're just walking around looking appreciated video.
Speaker 3: Dude, it's cool. It's like super cool to see, you know. Just it's because these things are creations, Like there are artistic creations for a lot of people, and like seeing the time that people can spend and like how good of a job they can do.
Speaker 4: That's a great way to look at it.
Speaker 2: For two questions.
Speaker 1: One my first one, when fans hear this are they clamoring to get you to play with them or play in there saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people ask like people, yeah, people people asking like I do that in the off seasons, Like I'll play games and like, you know, I'll stream on Twitch or you know wherever, and you know, all run games with like viewers and like they'll you know, I've got a list and people can like literally just put themselves in the list and like all queue up games and like I'll just go down the list. It's fun and like you meet a lot of like really cool people. So I've been having a lot of fun with that over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: And my second question, when you're done with football decade past from now, do.
Speaker 3: You see.
Speaker 2: Are you going to immerse yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's That's something that I've wanted to like try. I'm gonna be doing that anyway, might as well. But yeah, I could. I could see myself going down a certain path like that. Whether whether I'm you know, streaming or like I want to do something in that space, I don't know. I think like shadowing a you know, in a company would be great. Like so Gearbox has a like headquarters in Frisco, which I'm living near Frisco up in Dallas.
Speaker 4: And like, have you ever gone there? Is this your official asks to do something with.
Speaker 3: Gearbox, Like they've you know, they've basically been like hey, like let us know, and like, you know, it's it's just cool that there's like studios because I grew up a big Borderlands fan and like, I don't know if you guys know what Borderlands is, but it's a game made by Gearbox. It's like in a super cartoony slash like comic book art style, and dude, Borderlands too is like the funniest, like most well written game that like I've ever played in, like one of my favorite games of all time, and like I still go back and like play that. And so to have that that studio that made that, their headquarters is like right basically right down the street from me. Like that's freaking that's sweet. Yeah yeah, And so I don't know, I'd love to I would love to learn more about the intricacies that kind of like all go in. And I've got friends that work in that industry. Like one of my best friends works you know, he's worked at a bunch of different places, like he helped make Halo infinite and a bunch of different you know, companies, and so I know a lot more than like I used to. But still I want to take a peek behind the curtain and just kind of see, you know, a day to day in that in that space.
Speaker 4: Maybe a summer internship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I do an internship.
Speaker 4: I know we've had players do internships like in the off season.
Speaker 3: It's hard to do it, like it's hard for you for my mind to do it, like while I'm still playing. That's when I'm done. Like that, I could absolutely see an avenue into that.
Speaker 1: But because I'm assuming I don't know anything about the tech world, gaming world, that the advancements are so quick, don't you have to kind of stay to speed with Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and maybe.
Speaker 3: Even I'm so behind a ball in terms of like what the code languages. So I need to need to get back on my study grind when I'm done.
Speaker 1: All right, quick time out. One more segment to go. Dalton Schultz sitting here. Very interesting interview.
Speaker 3: And I knew interesting sometimes needs bad. Why Yeah, you've heard that it's like.
Speaker 4: Going off com.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, definitely it doesn't mean bad here because the whole gaming and the passion because most guys that you know I talked to is it's the stereotypical Sam Old Sam, you know what, I'm done with football, want to be a trainer, a physical trainer. But to know that you really have this gaming background and you've even studied it, that's that's actually pretty cool and it's very interesting in a positive way. One more segment to go. We'll get back on the field. Texans huddle. Right here, Texans Huddle. One more segment to go with our main man, Dalton Schultz. I think the conversation off air might be more interesting for some of the people because I just learning from me and hearing about his gaming experiences and the level that he plays at is pretty is very interesting in a good way.
Speaker 5: Very And I love that you and your wife both game together and she has her own setup, because I think that's I think that's fantastic you tie together.
Speaker 3: She's to the point where like she might be better at Fortnite than men. Oh boy, Like you know, I'll jump in with her and like play some games and I'm like, how are you level one hundred already? Like a battle pass has been out for like three weeks.
Speaker 5: She's not playing professional football during the season, so she set a little bit more time.
Speaker 1: All right, speaking of professional football, I guess we have to get back to the boring sports because this has been really fascinating to just kind of talk about going into the season. I'm assuming it's game by game, but your expectations and what are you surprised at? What with with what you've been able to accomplish so far? Great question.
Speaker 3: I think honestly, there's just so much uncertainty when you're moving teams and like you haven't been in a building and it's an entirely new staff and a bunch of new you know, players and a new locker rooms, just a whole lot of new and you're not really sure what to kind of expect. There's talk in the draft of like, hey, we might get this guy, we might do this, Like it was a whole lot of like let's see how this goes. And I think, you know, over the course of the last few months, like having guys step up in big roles, you know, whether it's you know, quarterback or offensive line or linebacker, d line, whatever it is, Like, you know that confidence has just continued to build ever since we started in OTAs and so I think, you know, going forward, that's what excites me most is like we still have like so many young guys and we have so many guys that are playing such good football that could be playing even like so much better football. Like it's it's exciting, like it's exciting times and so like I'm honestly I wouldn't say surprise, but like I mean maybe that's about maybe it is. The best word is like that we've had so many young guys play so well so far. Like usually it takes like I said, like the transition from the tight end of the league, like it takes a couple of years sometimes in other positions, like yeah, it takes takes a little bit, but you know, I think we've had guys step up in big ways like now, like immediately making impacts.
Speaker 5: I think that's what's surprising to me too. It's like I'll hear Cjay talk after the game, and he usually talks about the plays that were left on the field and I and I get that sense that a lot of you guys feel that way too.
Speaker 3: Football Like that's like well, if you've just done this, if you like, if you truly like the game, like that's that's the natural that's the natural reaction, because that's the first thing that I think of too. You do, Yeah, for sure, it's like good, I want that playback, or like, ah, God, I wish I did this and this, and dude, I get I don't care if it's one play or ten plays like that. One play is always going to be like dude, god, I should have caught that, or like, god, I wish I would have taken my block that way instead of the other way. Like those things are when you're competing, and especially at the highest level, it's like those are the those are the things that make you know, good players great. Is like finding a way to make those plays great plays.
Speaker 1: The next week you played in Dallas, played with a you know, a good quarterback there. Can you talk about some of the differences and similarities with Dak Prescott and CJ.
Speaker 2: Streu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've gotten this question a couple of times. But like I do, I hate comparing Like I don't. I don't play the comparison game. Like I think they're both great leaders in their own way, but like, dude, that their own players. Man, Like you know, I get they play the same position and the media loves comparing stats and this and that dog like they're two great players that are both playing really good football, and like I love them both to death, Like they're they're their own, they're their own guys. Like let bygones be by gones.
Speaker 1: Like and just so you know, that wasn't one of those I know I got you moments because obviously I know I didn't know if like they communicated, like one's quieter, one's louder. But uh, but but I love your answer right there. Yeah, it just let them be themselves.
Speaker 3: I mean CJ's young, like he's going to grow into his own shoes, like in this league, he's going to be his own guy, and Dak's going to continue to evolve too, Like they're their own they're their own players.
Speaker 1: What type of advice did you did you play with Jason Whitten? Yeah, so that's a guy that played a long time in this league and when you were young in the league, you know obviously had a chance to play with him. What type of advice did he give you? And do you see yourself as a season vent talking to some of these young pass catchers, whether it's receiver or tight end.
Speaker 3: Dude, it's so cliche but like my favorite thing and like it continues to kind of like liver and free Is would always had a He would always say like, hey man, can't cheat the muse, Like, ain't no shortcuts, Like whatever you're doing, like, trust me, there's no there's no easy way, like you're either going to put the work in or you're not. And if you want to be great, there's no there's there's no other path than working your ass off, So you can't cheat. The muse is like, my that's my favorite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you can't. If it was easy, everybody would do it, right. I mean that's what they say the work ethic. I know you and I have talked don't and I have talked about how he's learned everything about being a pro from Jason Witten.
Speaker 4: What about for.
Speaker 5: You guys in the locker room come to you for advice, what's your biggest piece of advice? Is that your biggest piece of advice to them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like I don't want to be that unless will. Yeah, you come up to me and are like like hey man, like you know, I try to pull people along by showing people like what you should do, Like it's hard at this level, Like everybody's grown. Everybody's going to do what they want and unless you're seeking that stuff out, like I'm not, like I don't know, I feel weird about going up to a guy and being like, hey, like you should do this, you know what I mean? Like, Yeah, the guys that want to do that will find a way to do that or ask for help to be able to do that. And so I think, you know, I'm absolutely like if anybody's got any questions or like you know, wants that from me, I can absolutely be that guy for people. But at the same time, like I want to let guys grow themselves and like take their own steps and like learn their own ways and find their own ways to do things. Because at the end of the day, like and this is super applicable in the tight end room, Like I've got I've gotten the my ways of doing stuff, and like that might not be the best way for somebody else to do stuff. Like that's the way that i found success doing things, and like that's the way that I'm gonna continue to evolve my game. But like that might be different than somebody else who's stronger or faster, or you know, plays at one speed. One way all the time and doesn't want to like it's it's hard, you know, I don't want to. I don't want to bog another guy down with some stuff that I'm thinking about pre snap or before a play, just because that might slow them down. And now all of a sudden, they're they're thinking too much and doing stuff.
Speaker 4: That's you know, out of there, not who they are.
Speaker 3: The characteristics of what makes them great, and so I think, you know, I'm I'm absolutely here, but I don't want to. I don't want to, like, you know, come at somebody and be like, hey, dude, like do this whipper snapper.
Speaker 1: If you want one hundred yards like I had, you had to do it like this. Yeah, that's gonna do it for us today. You know what, I'm gonna put this out there in the off season uninvited. I'm just gonna show up to your house at Dallas and then I'm gonna address I'm gonna tell my sons that I'm gonna play with them and that not Minecraft.
Speaker 2: What's the game you and your wife played?
Speaker 1: Because they play for Fortnite, But I'm gonna have you actually play so yeah for me, so you can kick their tail I'll put the control on your hand. I'll be in the corner, yeah, telling you what to do. But man, awesome, awesome stuff. We appreciate the time and uh, you know, good luck for the rest of the season and continue to success. Thank you. That's gonna do it for us today. Texting all Access coming up next, or touch that down.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with Texans all Access. Don't go anywhere